Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nik jumped slightly at hearing the unexpected voice and he groaned, rubbing his head where it had hit the wall before standing and moving out into the open room, still rubbing his head. He blinked in surprise at seeing Jak and then his pale eyes turned wary as he stopped and stayed a fair distance away from the other male. It was habit more than anything, but also in true caution because he didn't know why Jak was here and the last time they'd spoken he'd been told sensitive information about Lyra and had revealed that he possessed a power no Sidhe should have. He had no idea why Jak might be here except for that, unless...

Worry flashed over Nik's face and he looked to the door and then back at his brother-in-law, one thought on his mind now, the same thought that had been on his mind for days and had refused to leave. "Lyra? Is she all right?"

The only thing he could think of was that something had happened to her and the feeling of sickness that rose in his throat was hard to swallow down.

Scratching his forehead Jak rolled his eyes, "She's fine, stubborn as an ass but fine nonetheless. I was sent here by my ever so endearing wife, you remember those right?" he was a bit snarky, "I've got two bones to pick with you and one more stressing than the other. Granted I'm not here to chew you out but certainly need to address some things."

Feet shuffled around the kitchen feeling the need to move instead of stay idle, hands landed flat to the countertop. "Lyra informed me that you went with your wolves to attack the enemy. While stupid and reckless, you over stepped your boundaries. I know you know that and honestly as long as you can keep your little;" he wiggled his fingers, "Your powers within a better control, I'm over looking it. I don't honestly want to deal with your grandfather about this so I'm not going to. Second thing that needs to be address; what the hell were you thinking doing that anyways! Lyra flew off the handle is one thing but when she is worrying sick over your well being and losing her mind, then that concerns me. Especially when the fact is I'm the one that she has to come running too, even when I was merely wanting to check in on her those few nights ago." Jak sighed with exasperation. "Nik your my brother in law and family, we all look out for each other but you need to start remembering that while my sister is-" he paused trying to find the right word, pressing his lips throwing some words out over others, fingers spread aside before shaking his head, "Well she's stupid at times. More than less and I'm more than well aware that you two aren't excited to be husband and wife, you are part of her life. She over baring and high strung at the best of times, but she can't always come to me to solve her problems or Zen or anyone." he pointed to him, "You are the man of this nutty relationship which means I need you to at least attempt to treat her like she's an equal. Even if it's hard and you'd much rather just shut the door and pretend that nothing is wrong, I need some help."

Jak groaned more so, "I don't know how you deal with her on a normal day, but the fact is you've managed to break through a difficult wall she keeps up for everyone else. I wouldn't call it love cause it's not, but she cares about you and it is scaring the living sin out of her." his index stabbed into the counter top, "Genuinely cares about you and it's not in a way of a soldier, she is treating you like one of us." he tapped to his own chest, "She is treating you like family and that is more than I've seen from her in years. Those little wards of hers are probably the last people she has let into her heart and while it is difficult and rocky, she doesn't know how to cope with it which has her running scared to me. Which I don't mind, I am her brother but there is a fine line which I know I won't be able to ease her mind. Look I'm sorry your stuck with her, she's a trying brat a lot of the time but she's the only sister I have and honestly the only one who is willing to stick up for you in this city other than myself, " he lifted a finger, "So far. Don't push her Nik -which is easier said than done- cause then I will be involved in a way you won't like and honestly I don't want to be that way. Sorry for heaping this on you." straightening out his back he sighed again, "You guys are going to put me in an early grave," he chuckled at that one making it very clear he was just teasing.

Nik found himself blinking slowly as he looked at Jakson, having remained silent the whole time - and really, when was he supposed to get a word in edgewise? - as the other male ranted - lectured? - at him. The halfbreed might have found it overwhelming to get so much information at once if he'd not been more than used to being made to stand for long periods of time while his father or grandfather vented at him about every single thing he'd done wrong and how much of a disgrace he was. At least Jak wasn't hitting him while he went on and Nik found it rather easy to sort all the words into categories.

He slowly addressed them when Jak quieted, showing that he was actually far more intelligent than anyone knew and that he didn't lack discipline at all. He only chose not to use it.

"Lyra was right and I am aware that I crossed over some rules that I should not have. You have my apologies for that and I thank you for not involving my kin. As for why I did it; I was angry and my power is wild. It was either find something appropriate to maim or risk hurting innocents. I chose the lesser of two evils. I did not do it with the intention of causing anyone worry, least of all Lyra." So far Nik's words had been calm, diplomatic, but when the words about how Lyra was worried for him, how Jak thought him family, how LYRA thought him family, how she cared for him ran through his mind...that was harder for him to process properly and answer to. He didn't know how to be in a family and if anyone was being stupid about it, it was him and he knew it.

The halfbreed shook his head slightly and the next words out of his mouth were pure defense of the she-elf he cared for, his pale eyes firm when they met sapphire blue. "She is not stupid and if she's overbearing it's only because she worries or wants to protect. And I have always treated her as an equal. I don't think of her as anything less and the last thing I want to do is pretend that she doesn't exist or that nothing is wrong. I am very aware that something is wrong, but I don't know how to approach her about it anymore than I know how to accept that I am part of a family now."

Nik smiled just a little, wryly. "I don't 'deal with her'. She deals with me and she does a wonderful job at it. She's challenging and she's abrasive, but she can be kind and patient and gentle, too, and I have seen that more than once. I can understand how she doesn't know how to cope with caring for me because I have the opposite problem of not knowing how to be cared for. Neither of us is trying to hurt the other...we just don't always flip to the same page at the same time." The white-haired male sighed and shrugged his shoulders a little, giving Jak a slightly apologetic look.

"I am sorry that means we're more difficult for you, though."

"You guys are a hassle, young, wild and naive in many ways of this world, in the city and outside of it. But I am not about to go about striking down your silly choices and enforcing my own. As much as it may seem. I suppose it is just difficult to watch knowing that you two could either be a great force together or a explosive destruction." Jak watched him carefully, sympathetically without any judgment. "But the pair of you need to start working with another even in these times of struggle. Where she might be weak, you can be her strength and vice versa, Nik. I'll protect you both as much as I can, and I will be in the middle even more so but that doesn't mean I am the only option."

Coming around the side closing the distance between himself and the other male, he gave his shoulder a squeeze reassuring him. "You are going to have to learn through baby steps that you are part of a family now, and one that is famous for being aggressive to those who dare harm one of our own. Some more than others, but in that same breath Lyra needs someone to help her trust and reopen that side that is scared, weak and wants nothing more than to know she is allow to seek comfort. Work from each other rather than trying to do this separately. I'm telling you this because you are a lot more calm in moments like this and you aren't as wild about it. Lyra reacts differently merely because she is scared as much as she doesn't want to admit it. She'll snap and bite like a caged animal when someone tries to extend to her a bit of kindness, fearing that it will be turned around and used against her exposing her vulnerability." he gave him a light pat on his shoulder, "I trust you Nik, honestly I do and I trust Lyra. But I can't get her the same answers about you as I can for you concerning her. I've watched that girl from the moment she was born and made sure that I was the one she felt could protect her. Even if there are times I would much rather throttle her." he chuckled at himself.

"You are a good kid Nik. Good for Lyra and I think she knows it too but of course the woman is hiding behind the mask of rage and strength. She doesn't want you to see that she is merely a child, shaking and shivering afraid of her own shadow. Probably much like you, you don't want everyone to pass you off as nothing but weak and garbage. I am not going to keep lecturing or ranting about this, it's not my place." he nodded shortly before looking him over, "You are coming to the dinner tonight yes? Be prepared for the worst, Lyra and my father do not see eye to eye for good reason that you know of. There will be war and it will be nasty meaning Lyra will be extremely volatile. " he lifted a finger up, "She is known for doing very stupid things in those moments, so be warned. I will see you tonight."

For the first time in a long time, Nik didn't flinch at contact he'd not been expecting and he swallowed hard at Jak's words, not sure how to react to them and he merely nodded. He understood what the other male was saying. He just didn't quite know how to respond to it and he was rather glad Jak didn't seem to expect an answer. That was good because Nik was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that Lyra might need him, Jak liked him and was willing to protect him and that he was cared for. It caused an odd sensation inside him, something warm and fluttery that seemed to want to flare into a gentle flame, but seemed hesitant about it. Nik sheltered it quickly, though, curious as to what it might be when it grew but knowing he had to protect it from all the darkness that would swallow it whole.​
He watched Jak with an understanding in his eyes when the male elf spoke of Lyra because that was something he did understand. He wanted nothing more than to help her and he didn't need Jak telling him all this to know these truths, but he was glad the brother said them nonetheless and when he asked about the dinner, Nik nodded again. At the mention of their father, though, Nik frowned and he felt that familiar anger lap at the edges of his mind, causing him to take a breath and square his shoulders.​
"I understand. Thank you for the information you've given me and-" Nik faltered for a moment, looking away from Jak as he struggled for the right words to say and then his gaze came back, raw and grateful. "Thank you for being a good brother....to me. I've never had one before."​
It was an odd feeling...but one he found he might grow to like.​

Pausing at the door, his grip resting on the brass doorknob Jak chuckled warmly at him. "Well, that's what true family does. Get used to it." With that he bid a farewell, letting the door shut tucking his hands into his pockets letting out a sigh. Now came the time of convincing Lyra to show up tonight, that was about as fun as stuffing his own sword through his gut and probably as deadly.

Raking back the golden hair, an escape of an chuckle came from him. They really were hopeless.

~~~~~~~

The dining room was decorated in a fall decor, reds and browns trimmed with a golden yellow trim; rich and comfortable, she knew her mother was trying to draw away from the awkward tension that was chomping at her neck. How on earth had she let Jak drag her here was beyond her understanding. She knew he threatened to do something that would be unpleasant for both of them, pleaded and managed to eventually have her give in. Not in the sense that she would be sociable but her body would be present.

Drawing her bangs up to lay over her crown as Kauity mussed and played with her hair finally tumbling it into loose curls; she had been encouraged - a nicer word for forced- to choose a dress to flatter her figure. Deep in a royal blue bordering on a navy it had been trimmed with a black piping to accent the sweetheart neckline. Drawing attention but not giving the entire secret away to the whole show.

She fussed under her breath as Jak was walking with Kauity to the table. Neither of them had seen hide or hair of either parent knowing better that their mother was attempting to curve a civil tongue into their father's skull. Fat chance with that.

"I really don't want to be here." She mumbled it for Jak's ears.

"Don't let him get to you. Remember you are an accomplished general, a fierce warrior and a recently married woman. He has nothing on you." Jak let Kauity enter the room first as he pulled out a chair for her, receiving from what she could tell a look that should have been R rated. Inhaling to exhale hard, eyes scouted for all the possible exits for a quick escape.

Nik had to wonder again why he'd dressed in black pants and a red tunic carefully embroidered with black thread, a dark gray belt loosely on his hips and dark brown boots that his feet already hated. He supposed it was habit, probably, seeing as they were the colors of the Sidhe Royalty, but still....he hated the colors black and red together. Grousing silently to himself, the halfbreed looked up at the house and moved his head slightly to get the white strands out of his eyes. No matter how he brushed it out, his hair always managed to do exactly what it wanted and Nik was too nervous to care at the moment.

He sighed and moved up the steps to knock on the door, not surprised when a servant answered almost immediately. He'd been expected after all. The elf led him into the dining room and Nik's pale blue eyes went immediately for the one person they actually wanted to see.

She was gorgeous, perfect, more-so than he'd ever seen her and the urge to tell her so sat on the tip of his tongue. They were words he swallowed back for the time being as he truly took in the expression on Lyra's face, though. She was unhappy, tense and it hurt his chest to see her as such. His words to her would have been much different now if he'd gotten to say any words at all, but by the time he was seated across from her, Amara and her husband were entering the room and all chances were lost as the night began.

Making small talk, servants began hustling around the table disappearing and reappearing through the doorways leading to the kitchen, it was a clear sign that their parents were making their rounds down to greet them. Or make her life hell. Whichever was more appropriate for the time.

Fingers in her lap were wringing the napkin out of tension, ears twisted alongside with Jak and Kauity's vision to address the arrival of Nik, though it was promptly disregarded. Pushing herself up and out of her chair like the other couple hand, a fright jolted through her gaze wanting nothing more than to shrink away from the deep blue gaze of her father when they locked on her firstly. He was shorter than Jak by a mere inch or two, but his stature was taller than them all in the room. He struck fear and hurt strong and true into her chest forcing her heart to tighten into a ball making it all the more difficult to breath. He was thin but rigid with high cheek bones and pale skin that look like it clung to his body merely due to it being afraid to leave. His lip was thick with a black mustache that reached downwards towards his neck, hair once a golden blond like Jak's now a silver; his gaze promptly shifted to consider Jak and Kauity. The coldness never ceased.

Amara smiled warmly to them all, welcoming them all with nothing more than her smile and the loving aura she developed around her. It was still hard to believe her mother had willingly fallen in love with her father. It was purely mind blowing.

Pulling out a chair for her to sit in, her father remained standing; the dark eyes flicking to address the newest arrival and instantly frowning at him. Merely due to him being late to arrive before they had. Even arriving at the same time was enough reason to throw the very man into the brig if it wouldn't make Jak snap out in anger. "I haven't seen much of any of you in what seems like ages," Amara motioned for them to sit down, her father doing the same and taking a drink from the red wine sitting on the table. He was already displeased and it was radiating.

She might have sunk into her chair if she wouldn't have been noticed, Lyra became wooden, lost in her own skin as if she just discovering a predator breathing down her neck and she had to play dead to survive.

Jak threw her a look before clearing his throat, "We've all been busy doing our parts in the city Mama," Kauity was looking at her plate trying not to make eye contact.

"Some more than other's I've heard." there she felt it, that penetrating gaze shooting into her skull, "Aelyra, are you not going to introduce me to the husband I had to find for you, or are you just going to wallowing in your own disappointment?" Amara's own eyes took on a dark look throwing it to her husband. Jak was cursing under his breath at the whole thing.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she made a gesture towards that of Nik; "Prince Niklomaus," Lyra peeked up from the spot she was looking at to gaze soullessly to that of Nik, "Prince Niklomaus, my father Regan Bloodworth."

Regan's jaw twisted before he raised his brow to the sidhe. "Pleasure I am certain." eyes trained up and down him, "I've heard many rumours of you in the town Prince; many very pleasing to hear. You have managed to build quite the reputation here which is impressive."

Jak was trying to get her attention, she knew it but after she had introduced Nik, she went right back to staring at the table cloth. It was safe there and it was without prying eyes looking back. "Oh the ladies of the village just love you for all your help," Amara grinned pleasantly, "It is nice to see you are making well in the city my dear."

"Indeed, perhaps your wife could learn something from you instead of being sniveling herself." Regan huffed taking another drink. She cringed visibly this time, squeezing her eyes shut like a child hoping and praying that the monsters in their room weren't real. She wanted nothing more than to run, to hide, to cower away and just cease existing.

Regan reminded Nik of his grandfather and that alone was enough to make him dislike the other male. The way he looked at everyone, the aura in the room due to his presence was oppressing and if Nik hadn't been used to such things on a grand scale - try a whole city's worth - he would have been hunched in upon himself just like everyone else at the table seemed to want to do. The frown aimed his way made him raise his chin just a little, acknowledging it, but not cowering before it and Nik set his attention to something else, namely Lyra.

What her father's vicinity was doing to her appalled him as he watched her become a shell, withdrawn and lifeless. This was NOT the Aelyra he knew and Nik did loathed it already. His own eyes were far from happy when they met her soulless ones and Nik had to clench his hands under the table hard enough to almost draw blood to keep his teeth from doing the same and his fingers from wrapping around a certain elf's neck.

He snapped his gaze to Regan as the older male spoke and dipped his head curtly, not responding to the compliments as they rang hollow and bitter in his ears after those same lips had uttered something hurtful to the she-elf he was coming more and more to care about. He softened his gaze marginally for Amara, but it didn't last long as Lyra's father spoke again and this time Nik couldn't still his tongue, trying desperately to be polite while at the same time his tone was tighter than it should have been.

"I rather like your daughter as herself. She's taught me a great deal since I came here."

Eyes exchanged between Jak and Kauity, Regan hummed boredly to the lad before raising his chin. "A great deal you say, it's not hard to learn from one's failures especially those who are weak where they lack strength." Amara looked disgusted, the border of anger herself but she kept silent.

"Father please," Jak interjected quickly, "Lyra has done more than you give her credit for, does this night require you to pick and preen at her?"

"Silence boy," Regan's tone remained calmed but Jak clearly didn't take to it in a way that was suppose to keep him silent, rather it only provoked him. "Your compassion for the weak is just as foul as those who cannot redeem themselves. Do not speak unless you understand the message being sent."

"Regan," Amara was warning him, eyes turning jaded very quickly, "We invited the children for a night of rest and relaxation, nothing more."

The man looking down the slope of his nose didn't seem to hear either of them. "Suspended I heard Aelyra, why am I not surprised? Reckless endangerment of possible civilians not to mention without permission from that of the Colonel." Amara shoved herself up from the table, Kauity doing the same to go tailing after the elven mother. Jak was gritting his teeth.

"Unless you know what you are speaking of Father, it is best not to believe all the reports." Jak hissed through his teeth, "I took care of it myself and it needs no more disclosure of it."

"What is next girl? Will you strike out with your blasted blasphemous ice magic at some child who looks at you funny? Pathetic. The only thing you have managed to do right for once was agreeing to the marriage of another race, even though you are used goods, I managed to strike the Regent Lord into using you as the cow for the milk. You ought to be pleased with that." Regan frowned deeply, "Nothing to say this night girl? How fitting, have you managed to finally temper that foul tongue in your head? Or has your husband managed to show you the proper way for a woman to act?"

"That's enough!" a fist pounded into the table, Lyra didn't say a word, she didn't flinch, unblinking she sat there trembling at the words forming through her mind.

Nik found he'd not realized what fury was. He thought he'd known. He'd thought he understood what it was like to want to hurt someone, to want to kill, but he'd never felt this kind of anger, a protective anger and the halfbreed was about to discover that it was the most powerful kind, able to make one do things they never realized they could. His head, at first abuzz with a roaring sound, seemed to clear suddenly and Niklomaus stood, suddenly looking every inch the Prince he was as he spoke one word into the chaos.

"Silence!"

His tone alone could have frozen magma itself and his glacier eyes pinned on Regan when he spoke next, words calm and deliberate but somehow edged like a blade and dangerous in their controlled fury. "How dare you speak to my wife in such a manner in my presence or out of it! You are a fool and know nothing of which you speak so brazenly about. Your daughter is a treasure beyond any worth and you, with your pathetic, ignorant, hardhearted ways refuse to see it!" Nik had started to move now until he was behind Aelyra's chair and he put his hands on her shoulders with the most tender of touches even as his voice raised into something resembling the fierce snarl of a wolf laced with the unyielding substance of stone. "This woman is under my protection now and has been since the moment she was given to me. She is not yours to torment any longer. She is not deserving of it. She is my wife, my equal, my friend and I will not have her degraded by the likes of you! You are not fit to be honored with the title of father!"

Nik's eyes glowed a powerful blue in that moment and the room seemed to darken with threat as he hissed his final words. "You will not speak to her thus again or I will see to it that your poisoned tongue is burned from your mouth."

Last edited:
Surprise echoed like a siren in the room, Jak was in sheer disbelief at the whole thing. Whether or not his father was it didn't register on his face. Rather he seemed calmed even with the face of the sidhe ready to fulfill promises of torment.

He wasn't even the one getting yelled and he wanted to scurry out of sight. Jak crossed his arms over the span of his chest letting his gaze filter between the two men, caught Lyra flinching even under that of the grasp of Nik and couldn't help but smirk at the end of it. Not just smirk but laugh out right, cruel and impressed all at once.

Cold eyes shifted to him, glowering with a hot fire Jak simply shrugged. His father didn't seem no he wasn't fond of Nik remotely. He rose from his chair and tilted his head. "Watch your own tongue boy, for you may play with fire but you will be burned. Do not forget you are a guest in our lands and in turn are still subject to your own grandfather. I highly doubt he would be impressed with your actions and your threats especially when you hold no power here." Regan threw him another look before landing on Lyra, "I see she has taught you something and surely it is just as disgusting as her own attitude. "

Keeping the air of control around himself, Regan left the room without another word though Jak sucked in a breath letting it out in a hard breath. When he was certain his father was out of ear shot and that Nik wasn't going to go flay him alive, Jak chuckled again. "Impressive, honestly impressive." He complimented, "Damn near had me running for the hills and I wasn't even the one in trouble."

Pushing his hands away from her shoulders, forcing herself to stand up, Lyra didn't speak to either of them. "Lyra?" she gave him a curt dismissive wave, forcing his ears to pin back.

Rubbing the back of his neck, he made the motion to go with her like he generally would have. "Thanks for your help tonight Nik," he gave the lad a clapping pat to the back, "Lyra wait up."

"Leave me alone Jak!" she snapped at him, hitching up her dress letting herself hurried the hell out of the building.

Growling at her stubbornness suddenly making its appearance, she was certainly a lot lighter on her feet than he was, disappearing quick out the door into the bleak dark as he cursed openly. Pinching his skull between his fingers, he threw a look back across his shoulder to the Prince. "I have to attend to my own wife and mother, if I know Lyra she'll either go back home or she'll go to the sacred grove. What she does after that is left to question."

Nik didn't let the trepidation Regan's words caused him to show in either his face or his eyes as he stared the older male down and he watched as the elf left, letting his power die down even as it wanted to tear after him. He forced himself to breathe slowly and looked to Jak, not yet completely free of anger even though such a gaze was not actually directed at his brother-in-law. He got to say nothing, though; didn't know what to say, as Lyra pushed his hands away and Nik felt like he'd been doused with freezing water. He watched her with worried, wary eyes, but she never once looked at him and Nik watched her go with a feeling of both hurt and rejection stabbing into him.

He attempted to breathe past it, though, to push past it because somewhere inside, past the wounded child afraid of rejection, there was a far fiercer personality that knew exactly what it needed to do and he was determined to become that person, even just for a night, for Lyra's sake. He did nothing but nod to Jak and he touched his shoulder in a silent thank you before leaving just as fast as Lyra had, not afraid to pursue her.

She wouldn't go back home. Not yet, not now when she knew someone could easily follow her there. No, she'd go somewhere she'd be sure he couldn't follow. Nik did, though, and when he came to the grove, he slowed, pale eyes scanning for the she-elf and finally finding her underneath one of the trees in a small hollow. He couldn't help but wonder if it was a place she'd come as a child...as a hurting, scared child and he sighed softly, coming close to her, but not so close that she'd feel threatened.

"Lyra?"

It was a haven in more ways than its typical way, out of the way and out of mind. She hadn't been here since that first night being introduced to the sidhe man and honestly she avoided it. As much as she tried to keep it silent within the own recess of her mind, she always found herself coming back here when everything just piled up too high for her to handle. It was more often than she knew.

Ears flicked pulling her gaze up from her cradling between her knees, she was ready to bark at him. Though she stopped realizing very quickly it wasn't Jakson but rather Nik. Puckering her brow pulling herself more into her own comfort, eyes dropped away letting herself return back to hiding her face away.

"I'll be fine." she muttered knowing exactly what he was going to ask.

Nik hesitated for just a moment and in that hesitation he practically snarled at himself the same way he'd snarled at Regan to 'get his ass over there!'. Heeding the words of his own subconsciousness, who seemed to know better than his present mind what he should be doing, the halfbreed moved toward Lyra and sat down beside her, slightly facing her, but more turned toward the side as he reached out and started to run his fingers through her hair. He continued that for a time, just letting her get used to his presence like one would a skittish horse and when Nik realized no words were forthcoming, but that she also wasn't responding in any other way as well, he decided to change tactics.

Moving slowly so he wouldn't startle her - even if she wasn't capable of being startled right now - the white-haired male took a hold of her body and while he scooted himself closer, he pulled her into him so that she was seated on his crisscrossed legs and one arm came around her securely, head resting on her blond hair as his other hand ran fingers through the strands of blond locks his own cheek was not covering.

"It will be all right, hugrekki einn." he whispered into her scalp and his hold tightened just a little. "His words were cruel to you and you do not deserve them. You are fallega and hörð. Your heart is af ljóni and your spirit as gentle as a fugl. You are smart and determined, and verðugt of so much more than you are given. Nothing that happened was your fault and you are not to be blamed for a horror you could not prevent. You were only a child, Lyra. Those who can not see that are the ones who should be shamed."

He meant every word and even if he could not see such things encompassed himself, he truly believed them for Lyra.

There was nothing more she wanted than to be able just to shrug all it away, shove all the annoyance, all the agony back down into the pit of her stomach to pretend it never existed, brush herself off and go back to being okay.

And she would eventually. It just took a bit of time to recompose herself, reminded that perturbed mind that what her father thought and what she felt were two different things and in the end he was wrong.

Feeling Nik moving closer not actually have registered he was running his fingers through her hair; she went rigid to what he was doing. Everything started to scream on the inside, clawing to get away, to hide, to run away from the possible chance that someone may try to be prying her open, but what was on the inside didn't transfer to the outside. Rather she let him do as he wanted, easing slowly into the warmth of another.

Tapered ears listened carefully keeping low as she was rummaging around for the foreign words he was using to decipher them in a way she understood, before she instinctively cringed upon hearing she was not to be blamed for the horror she could not prevent. He knew!

Damnit!

"Jak told you," she muttered, "Didn't he?" was all she could muster to the moment. She felt broken honestly, and while he might have been trying to impose some strength and comfort to her, it was hard to accept. She didn't overly agree with what he said, didn't feel it in her bones or marrow, no... she felt weak. Ashamed. Pathetic and used. But those words didn't come from her, she wouldn't, she couldn't. That meant exposing more of herself than she was already. It was just not in her cards to do so. While he might have been able to crush the foe for the time being that had been striking her down, it didn't mean she felt the truth behind it. What was someone suppose to do when their worst enemy was themselves?

Nik stilled and held her securely when she flinched, when her body went rigid and he waited until she'd relaxed even marginally before carding his hand through her hair again, his voice quiet, but firm. "It does not matter how I know anymore than it matters to me that it happened. You are dear to me just the same, Lyra." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly before he looked at the grove around them, taking some strength from the tranquility around them. He'd always done it as a child and could understand why Lyra had come here, why she'd been drawn to a place like this.

"There is nothing I could find out about you, nor story that could be told to me that would make me care for you less. You are not 'used goods' to me, Lyra. You are a treasure, a beautiful, rare form of life and you deserve to be cherished and protected even if you feel you don't need it." He smiled just a little, the expression coming through in his voice. "Hell, even if you really don't need it at all. You deserve to have someone who would defy every protest you could give, every angry glare or lash of your tongue just to make sure that you are safe and cared for."

Nik squeezed her gently. "You are amazing and any man should thank the gods above to have you in his life."

Oh she was going to kill Jak later. He knew better than to even mention it, even if it was asked about. She had made it clear on many private occasions it was not to be brought up ever. It was her past and her disgrace alone.

Her mouth quirked into a bitter smirk listening, ready to defy his very words but swallowed them instead. As much as she wanted to fight, she didn't. A heavy sigh and she remained where she had been put to sit, many thoughts whirling madly in her mind leaving very little answers for her to comprehend.

How long she stayed like that, she didn't know and she wasn't going to think about it. Eventually she put the flat of her palm to him pushing away so she could scoot out of his grasp and stand. Straightening out her attire, she wasn't so ready to look at him quite yet. She didn't even know what to say or how to start. She was terrified to the bitterness of her core but express it did not come easy. It would be swallowed back into her bleak internal pit; stored away for another day and nothing more.

"I'm going home." she muttered brushing a palm across the apple of her cheek. Shrugging a shoulder, letting the chains forged quickly back around that brief lapse in her own heart; she didn't wait or want to stay any longer here alone or with another. As much as she might had sought the comfort of someone else, she knew it was in vain. He could speak his sweet words, throw in some deeper empathy to make them sound true, but it all still fell upon her like snow. Soon it would melt and there would be nothing left.

And that was fine. She was happier that way lost and believing in her own facade. It was safe.

"By the stars, you are stubborn."

Nik said it perfectly clear as he looked up at her and then he stood, shaking his head and gave her a look that spoke both of fondness and exasperation. He didn't try to approach her again, though, nor were his next words harsh or lashed out. They weren't entirely sweet, either, though. "Fine. Push me away and see how far that gets you, what changes it brings. You tell me to trust and I try to, and then you won't trust me to give you the one thing you need. And that is your choice and I will respect it, but I won't stop caring for you and what happens to you and you can't make me."

He smiled just a little, wryly. "I'm not going anywhere and I'm not going to stop being a thorn in your side. It's your choice when you'll finally decide that I've passed enough tests and you can trust me with you, I understand that. But you understand this; I'll wait as long as I need to." His gaze softened then and Nik sighed slightly. "Know that your are precious to me, no matter what you might say to yourself, and I will see you in the morning."

With that he turned around and left, knowing she was no longer receptive. He'd try again another day.

Dropping the wooden sword against the front step of the house, she handed him a towel to wipe the sweat from the workout and the sun blaring down on the pair of them. Hours had mulled into days and days into weeks until she was certain she had managed to retain back her prior exterior. Not fully as she tended to be a little more quiet in the private company of the prince. It wasn't because she was upset with him, no... it was all the peculiar little things that started to pop up.

Chores she generally took care of, taken over with a firm word and a stubborn resilience; small cutesy gestures that had her groaning outwardly though that small spark of her feminine side giggling like a daft twit; small things that did not go unnoticed. He was determined to crack her open and she was just as stubborn not to let it happen. She didn't want to care, caring was a scary field for her. She would be open to him meaning he'd not only see what she allowed him to, but those dark places she hated, those lost scared broken places.

Though as the time continued, it was Jak that had decided that she had to start getting not only herself back into a military routine but word had gone through the town like wild fire of the Prince's escapade with the centaurs. Oh the councils were filled with fire that day, yet they did not rely any of the information to the Regent or to his grandfather. Actually she had been surprised when Jak arrived fully dressed in his deep red armor and threw a wooden sword on the ground before the prince's feet. She sat on the steps nibbling on a snack deciding on what she was to do when he arrived. Not alone either.

Zen was bristling mad, smoke nearly pouring out of his nostrils as he was glaring murderously to that of the prince. Before she could even ask, Jak grinned that all too familiar grin of mischief. A finger pointed to her, pinning her down with a mere word that if her husband was going to be wild and seeking blood; then he was to be trained properly. By elven terms and there were not going to even argue about it! At first she thought him kidding, but Jak stood there while she dared to ask if he was, with no reply. She knew he was serious.

She had suddenly gone from suspended to, personal tutor to the prince. Being assigned to train and school his elemental side in hopes to balance him out enough that he could use it without having to go tearing up bodies on a feral whim, she was in shock. Oh this would be great. It only continued to get better.

With the training sword at Nik's feet, Jak chuckled as Zen glowered to him further. Not only was she suppose to train his magical side, Zen was given the rightly duty of teaching the prince how to control a sword. If her brother wasn't giving the two of them an invitation to beat the snot out of each other, she didn't know what would be.

Offering up a cup of water to the looming elven man, he sighed happily drinking it a swift gulp before rubbing his face into the towel muttering something she couldn't understand.

"What?"

"He is about as talented as a limp noodle," Zen repeated as she was forced to rub her hand over her face.

"It's only his first real day." Zen rolled his eyes; "Cut him some slack. He is more prone to using his brains over his brawn."

"Limp. Noodle." he repeated. "I feel I should be giving him a piece of cloth over the training sword, then maybe his feet will coexist with his arms." Lyra covered her lips with a hand trying not to smirk. "Either that or he should take up dancing cause dear goddesses-" he didn't finish his sentence. "Your brother expects me to train him."

She nodded, "Which you will, come on I have faith in you. You've always been a good teacher." watching his jaw rock, a struggling sigh came out of his mouth.

"I suspect it has been easier for you?" she shrugged, nodded somewhat before making a eh noise. "No?"

"It has but I know so little about elementals that well, it's hard to tell him what he should do." She leaned inwards to him, "I've actually had to go to the library and start researching elementals to figure out what sort of things are a good things and what are ways to make that uncontrolled power just shot out at me because I did something wrong." she pouted softly, "It's quite difficult, I don't want to frustrate him but honestly, I am hardly the teacher for this." Zen grinned gently softening his expression flipping the towel to rest over the broad bare shoulder.

As much as she didn't want to say anything, she had been watching the men jumping around at times, secretly as much as she could. It was pathetic honestly but she was interested. In more ways than one and she was not going to say anything about that. "You are smart Lyra, that sidhe will be trained in no time under your tutorage." a palm cupped around her backside pulling her forward giving her a little embrace, Zen sighed looking out towards the field in which he left the prince to catch his breath. "Mine is a different matter. What do Sidhe do at a young age? Practice their flower arranging, he should have been wielding a weapon at least with the smarts of a teenager."

Twisting around to grab the other towel with the second cup of water, she motioned forward with her chin. At least she could do was bring the man some water much like she done for Zen, though he came to get it from her. Hoping down the front step to sidle with her, he stooped briefly picking up his wooden sword, draping his grasp around her shoulder as she hummed under the heat of the sun. When she was certain she was close enough, she dropped the towel on the sitting princes head coming around to offer the cup to him. "Looks like your taking a beating." she crouched down on her knees as Zen huffed tracing his step around to stand close behind her. "You two should take it easy for a bit, catch your breath."

Status
Not open for further replies.