Cascade Falls [REBOOT/OOC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't understand why a term I used in the ooc is under such scrutiny, but for absolute clarity on the matter, I am asking (or encouraging, imploring, waving a bright shiny flag around, whatever you want to call it) people to get involved with a point of plot that has been approved, encouraged, and planned by and with the GM and co-GM as a way to move the story and introduce things.
I'm saying in the brightest terms that I know, that it's bloody well okay to shove a character into this scene /IF/ and only if you or any other player are interested in doing so, and giving peeps a way to react if you're afraid, hesitant, intimidated, or just plain don't want to find a way to interact. If you don't care or dont want to, then you don't have to change course at all and are under no obligation to be involved in this particular point of interest.

I am offering an optional route, not suggesting that every character has just been spontaneously run over.

As for the ability for someone who weighs 190 pounds to bulldoze, I suggest watching a football, rugby, or lacrosse game. There are players who are trained to maneuver through tight clusters of other players in order to break them apart, and others who are trained to shatter oncoming players with often brutal efficiency before moving to block the next person attempting to get past. Doing the same through a loosely clustered group of distracted, uninterested individuals leaving the area would be much easier.

In all legits peeps, I'm just trying to get y'all excited and interested and interacting, not rile peeps up about word choice in the Ooc. :/

I'm pretty excited what might come out of it, cause I mean there is a lot of potential for interaction, if not for characters to have observed or acknowledged what happen. i know I am at least going to do at least that much with my characters. (I at least for sure need to get Avery out of that work room. ;D )

The reason I asked for clarification was to determine whether you meant "bulldoze" or if you meant "railroad". I was simply asking for clarification, not scrutinizing your word choice.

Before I go on, please take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I think Sammy is a great character. I think Jackalope is a good writer. I think neptune and of Dirt are good GMs. I love the setting, it's why I joined this game, and I'm voicing my opinions and concern simply because I want to see this game succeed.

I understand the scene has been approved and encouraged by the GM and co-GM. In my opinion, however, It pretty much destroys the setting on page 2 of the story. Maybe we're not meant to stay in Cascade Falls past page 10, and if that's what the GM and co-GM imagine, than great. However, if it isn't than there's a big problem. We just witnessed an execution of a man who did nothing more than talk to a newspaper, a newspaper who doesn't print anything without permission from the "powers that be" - I mean we have no freedom of speech, I doubt there's freedom of press. Now there is Sammy, someone who left town and came back, which should indicate he should be one of the most closely watched people in Cascade Falls, after all Howard and the powers that be don't want the populace to learn what's beyond the fence. This kind of begs the question, why was Sammy allowed to return? Maybe he promised not to say anything, maybe he convinced them that he had amnesia, I don't know and it doesn't really matter. What matters is that he should be one of the most closely watched people in the town. He currently sleeps in trees and doesn't conform to the normalcy of the town, nor does it really look like he's trying to. Just one more fact that should put the people who are watching on high alert. Now ICly, we've seen that he hasn't hidden his intent. He's told Avery what he plans to do, and has made a beeline toward Eric at the first chance he received. Okay, I can buy that the phones in town aren't already ringing, maybe they believe Eric can defuse the situation, or maybe Howard just hasn't given anyone else the authority to call a Fete. However, there's no way this ends well for Sammy. Maybe he dies on the spot - he's attacking a man who people are currently congratulating in the midst of Eric's strongest supporters - armed supporters who Sammy has likely made feel uncomfortable to some degree or another, by sleeping in trees and not acting "normal". Maybe the phone rings after Sammy gets in a few punches, or maybe Eric arrests Sammy, puts him in jail, and then Sammy disappears. Honestly, I feel Sammy is too valuable of a character to be written off so quickly, and if none of the above occurs, than it just doesn't seem believable - the "powers that be" have held Cascade Falls in the state it is in for nearly a decade, if not longer.

Story-wise, think of timing. We've yet to establish what is "normal" for this town or these people. We've had an event that is abnormal and traumatic. Do we really want to follow it with something that's even more abnormal? If, on page 2, Sammy can go up to Eric, the figurehead of the town, and tackle him or attack him, why hasn't anyone else done this in the previous years? If it is so easy for Sammy, someone who should be under close observation, to rebel, why hasn't anyone else? Surely Sammy isn't the first person to try this, and if he is, why did the "powers that be" allow him to return to the town? His behavior to this point hasn't indicated that he's attempted to rejoin society or "fit in". To me it's just horrible timing. If we're going to have a rebellion, then let it start small and slowly grow into a defining act like Sammy bulldozing Eric in a public spectacle. This scene would be so much better down-the-line after the setting and characters have been established. We're currently trying to hit a homerun before we've even gotten off the bench.

Finally, let's address the physical abilities of Sammy. You all are acting like 190 lbs is a big guy. Just for a point of reference, that's the weight of NFL quarterbacks and kickers, not the guys who bulldoze through people. Granted, there are a few runningbacks, cornerbacks, and wide receivers who weigh that much, but they're "speed guys" or "skill guys" not guys who drive people off the line. Now rugby is a different beast with quite a few players falling around the 190 mark, however, over 50% of players are well over 200 lbs. (according to this site: 2015RWC all player sizes in name sequence )) I don't even know about Lacrosse. @Jackalope claimed they needed special training to learn to do what they do, and that's true. My question is, what training has Sammy received? Surviving alone in the wilderness for years is a completely different skill-set than being able to bulldoze someone in a tightly-knit group (per neptune's post) with only a few steps to gain momentum (a path is opening for Sammy but it's likely happening begrudgingly and slowly, without any uniformity in which someone could predict the speed they could approach without tripping over someone - in other words, it's not like Sammy is charging from across the room.)

This is a group game, not a one-man show. I understand that the GMs want things to develop faster than they did previously, and that some PCs are going to be more plot-centric than others, but let's do it in a believable way. Let's think about pacing, think about the setting, think about where we want to be come page 10, 20, or 50.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I just got a 403 error for the last hour and I'm really not in the best mood. I apologize if any of this comes off as rude, because that's not my intention. That being said, I don't feel like this warrants its own discussion and if it's that big of a deal, Calliope, you should have come to Dirt and I privately.

I think you're picking and choosing what's realistic and what's not. The overall plot itself is unfathomable because we all know that some dude couldn't kidnap roughly 1000 people from all walks of life, plunk them in the middle of nowhere and then assign someone to kill them when they don't behave correctly. As I've said before, the fête happens once or twice at year at most, and someone isn't going to die right after one just happened. A lot of things are excused during the celebration, it's a way to blow off steam, but let me clarify a little more. @Jackalope created Sammy for this RP, to be whatever plot point that Dirt and I needed and to the stir the pot in a way that our characters might not be able to. I think you missed this the first time around because you came later, but Jackalope knows, OOC, all of what's outside the fence because she's doing our creature designs. There are things that aren't going to make sense to everyone until plot points fall into place.

Sammy hitting Eric isn't the point of this upcoming interaction. Depending on who sees him, it's meant to at least inspire suspicion, to get people talking and wondering what's going on. Sammy might be reprimanded, but he's not going to die for the reasons I mentioned above. Characters are meant to do their own investigating and their own digging. Maybe they'll confront Eric on his response later, maybe they'll congratulate Sammy on getting to sock the sheriff in the face and live, and that will lead to more conversation. In the end, the goal of this first arc is to choose a side--either you're with the mysterious people that run the town, or you're with the underground and want to get out. Saying that one punch on page two ruins everything is a reach, imo, and I'm sorry that you feel that way because it's only meant to set up future plots.

I'm not really going to touch on the 190 pound bulldozing thing again because I feel like we already discussed this and I'm not one to beat a dead horse. As someone who watches hockey and sees rookies checking bigger players and taking them down, I don't think ten pounds either way is a big deal. Let's not bring this up again, okay? He already got through the crowd, it's done.

And no, this isn't a one-man RP and I don't feel like we're focusing too much on Sammy, but @Jackalope has been the only one to make real physical interactions and that's where the focus currently is. Kenneth could swing his bat at someone, and all of our IC attention would be on @Stuffies12 or Amy could take offense to Sakamae mothering her child, then the focus would be on @kimsim12. Anything could happen, and that's really the point. No one is being excluded and no one will be overlooked, especially if they're posting and making an effort to be interact with the players around them. Sometimes, you just have to roll with the punches, you know? Not everything is going to go the way we plan.

Finally, this obviously isn't the only scene we're going to have. Everyone is more than welcome to come to me or dirt or anyone else and figure out their own plot points for their characters. Who knows, you could be part of the Underground and make a run for the tunnels, you and someone else could see something weird by the fence. The possibilities are vast and many, so there's always a chance to get what you want out of the plot. And I mean you in a general sense, btw. Not you specifically c:

So, that's my piece. I love this group and I love this plot and I just want to have fun with everyone <3 Let's not turn this into something bigger than it needs to be.

I apologize for discussing this in the OOC. My understanding of the rules was "put on your big pants and discuss it like adults." That's what I was attempting to do.

I'm kind of shocked. Yes, the plot is unfathomable. However, it's the reality we all accepted when we agreed to play this game. If we all agreed to play in a game that involved dragons or giant blue-skinned elves with tails, we still have an obligation to make things fit inside that world's reality. I personally didn't know that one person kidnapped 1,000 people. I thought it was a larger organization, and likely post-apocalyptic.

Regardless, I think I should step away from this. It isn't the game I thought I was signing up for, it moves way too slow and it is far from equitable.

I apologize for discussing this in the OOC. My understanding of the rules was "put on your big pants and discuss it like adults." That's what I was attempting to do.

I'm kind of shocked. Yes, the plot is unfathomable. However, it's the reality we all accepted when we agreed to play this game. If we all agreed to play in a game that involved dragons or giant blue-skinned elves with tails, we still have an obligation to make things fit inside that world's reality. I personally didn't know that one person kidnapped 1,000 people. I thought it was a larger organization, and likely post-apocalyptic.

Regardless, I think I should step away from this. It isn't the game I thought I was signing up for, it moves way too slow and it is far from equitable.
Everyone knew that some details were intentionally left out. I think it's best that you go, so, good choice.

I apologize for my disappearance. I was in the hospital!

Yes, everything is alright now! It was a medication issue that had to be addressed pretty immediately, but it's all good now!

Reactions: of Dirt
Yes, everything is alright now! It was a medication issue that had to be addressed pretty immediately, but it's all good now!
Yikes D: Glad to hear you're okay!

it's. Great to hear your okay! Glad to hear everything worked out!

Hey, guys! I just wanted to let you know that I moved the overview pages to the OP of this thread for the update on the 28th. Everything is the same, there were no changes to the rules or anything added to the world information.

I did a little rearranging with the cast list and took out our drops and inactive people. @Justin Charming if you're still interested, post in the IC and I'll get you back on the cast list. Otherwise, I removed your character. The same thing sort of goes for @Alekto but I'm not sure if she'll be returning. Until then, consider those lost characters NPCs until someone comes along to take that job.

Any questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.