Broken Mirrors - OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, your character sounds like the type to latch on to mine because he so self reliant, reliable and trustworthy.

sounds like a perfect friend for Casey! Well, I'm excited to get going lol. This is actually an awesome plot. Not the normal academy kind of thing. It's surprisingly like a plot i have for one of the stories i'm working on

@Ravenbelle your post is entirely satisfactory ^_^

@Tanzinite First things first, welcome to our OOC^_^. Second things second, nice to see another canadian here *is from new-brunswick*.

for the character, she is mostly good, a few conflicting personality traits, but i'm sure it all makes sense in your head so i'm not gonna nitpick. The only thing that really prevents her from being accepted is her power section, which has two significant issues.

the first is that you described her as being capable of moving things around while astrally projecting. Now this is something i dont really hold against you because the description of astral projection varies from source to source, but in thi particular universe, any psychic ability that lets you move things around without touching them physically is a telekinetic ability, which would make her Telespy a mix between kinetic and espic abilities. And it's because of this that i can't accept it (not because it is OP, but simply because it contradicts the mechanics of the universe). so i'll have to ask that you limit her astral projection to only letting her observe what is around her, not actually interact with it.

the second issue is that you gave her 2 abilities. Again, it's not really an issue of her being op simply as it is an issue of contradicting the mechanics of the game, i'll have to ask you to limit her to one ability or the other, not both.

lastly, this isn't really something that i consider 'necesarry', but i would still like to see it: if you could add in a part in her history section that mentions how she was contacted by the Broken Mirrors and invited into their group, as well as how long she's been a member, that would be appreciated.

one thing i quite enjoyed though is that you mention that she doesn't know why she ended up at Brew, that actually gives me a few ideas on how she could be worked into the overarching plot.

so yeah, besides that the girl is fine. let me know when you;ve made the edits and hopefully she'll be good for acceptance ^_^.

@ImmortalSin so i take it from those messages that you're volunteering to have skylar be introduced as the newest member of our group?

Is there a specific place that Broken Mirrors would want to meet with her (am editing my post)

Of course Buio! ^^

Is there a specific place that Broken Mirrors would want to meet with her (am editing my post)

Mason Square in the recreational district as stated in the opening IC post.

also, guys, I'm probably gonna be posting on tuesday. Feel free to write up all your introductory posts before then though. The meeting can't start until jason and rue go join skylar and lelou, but that doesn't men you guys are forced to sit around and wait for my post, you can still introduce your characters in the rp.

oh, and sin, keep in mind that even if skylar is new to the group, he should have met jason at least once or twice before.

Okay then. But he is six, so give him a little slack if he doesn't exactly get the seriousness of the situations they may be facing.

However, over the course of this, I'm hoping to have Skylar pick up how to control his powers a bit better at a time as the group becomes more fundamentally close. He'll still idolize Lelou of course, but he'll grow to see that they are getting stronger like he is--not just be strong like Lelou. If that makes sense?

well crap, I should have done a personality disorder. I just wasn't sure that was appropriate. I was thinking of doing borderline or antisocial, but oh well, Bipolar 1 is good too

@Immortal Sin oh of course lol, he's 6 so i didn't epect him to fully grasp teh situatio, i was just saying that so that when jason came to their table he would't be all like "huh? who are you mr white-hair?"

@Tanzinite wow, that was bigger edit than i expected, major brownie points for the extra effort ^_^. That being said though, I have to say that the broken mirrors extension is sadly unacceptable ^^;.

see, the thing is, what has let the broken mirrors grow over the last 2 years is EXTREME secrecy. It's not like they're the only group of kids to have banded together in an attempt to get out of course, it's just that they're the only ones to not have been caught and punished as a result. So there are no whispers, there are no rumors. For anyone outside of the broken mirrors, the very thought of a 'natural' sounds like complete hogwash (it's like you were trained to breathe through your mouth and nose all your life, and someone suddenly came to you and said you could do it through your ears with enough practice). And this is exactly what has kept them 'alive'.

you have to remember that the subjects of brewster aren't a united front. They're not a unch of mistreated and downtrodden prisoners who are all suffering under the heel of the horrid administration, and the administrators purposefully made it that way, because a populace united in suffering has a tendency of rising up against its opressors and wrecking shit. No, the administrators are very good at crafting the illusion of a happy and content life for their subjects, and making sure that they stay veryy much divided and very much incapable (and unwilling) of unifying into a single group.

If there were any 'rumors' circling around, you can bet that at least half the kids who had heard this rumour would have told the administrators about them in an attempt to earn more merit points. Not everybody in brew in unhappy with the way things are. Several are much happier there than they ever were outside (and not without reason: they get to have freakin super powers AND their psychoses are being cured, all for the simple price of obeying a few extra rules) and would even be willing to fight FOR brew rather than against it. So our group literally cannot trust a single other soul with the information they possess, which is why they have made damn sure to make sure no one knows they even exist.

Similarly, the broken mirrors are very selective in who they approach, and discrete in the method they do so. The meeting at mason square will be the first time that all the members will see each-other's faces (jason is the only one who, up until that day, knew exactly how many members there were in his group and who all those members were), so they wouldn't invite anyone that wasn't already a confirmed member that Jason knew he could trust.

So yeah i know i just wrote a lot, but i wanted to make sure you got a better understanding of the dynamics of the group and the setting we're in since you'll have to edit again. I want to state again though that I very much appreciate the effort you put in your first edit ^_^.

well crap, I should have done a personality disorder. I just wasn't sure that was appropriate. I was thinking of doing borderline or antisocial, but oh well, Bipolar 1 is good too

well, personality disorders are hard to pull off in this because they, by necessity, had to have been so bad that the character was considered unstable enough that they needed to be set to a mental health facility and couldn't be allowed to remain in normal society with normal psychological treatment. For a lot of 'common' disorders, it's difficult to portray them being that severe.

oh, i shoudl also mention: you ought to remember that your character's ability to control her powers now should lessen the severity of her manic/depressive episodes. If you don;t want to lower the severity of her extremes (since this seemed to be something that you found as a core part of your character's personality)then t least remember that the 'frequency' of these episodes will have been greatly reduced thanks to her coming to brew, and will continue to diminish as she keeps getting more and more control over her power.

So I need to write a meeting with Jason? I'm a little confused at this point. I get that there shouldn't be rumours about Broken Mirrors, I knew that was a risky idea when I went with it. That said, I'm just no longer sure what you want written. I guess because I'm not sure what would attract anyone to Casey. She's pretty weak, power-wise, so motivation on your guys' part is a little low, in my opinion.

Uh, so I guess I'm saying, tell me what you want, and I shall dot it :D

Oh, and I was fully intending to lesson her episodes. I just i thought that was important for background. She will be happily a lot more stable now.

So I need to write a meeting with Jason? I'm a little confused at this point. I get that there shouldn't be rumours about Broken Mirrors, I knew that was a risky idea when I went with it. That said, I'm just no longer sure what you want written. I guess because I'm not sure what would attract anyone to Casey. She's pretty weak, power-wise, so motivation on your guys' part is a little low, in my opinion.

Uh, so I guess I'm saying, tell me what you want, and I shall dot it :D

lol, sorry for being confusing ^^;. it's a recurring problem of mine in this rp so far because i'm trying to balance giving you guys enough info to accurately make characters, while witholding enough info to actually make the plot twists and developments i have in store surprising and engaging for you guys. Basically, i;m just trying to not spoil my own surprises lol.

anyways you don't need to actually write out her meeting with jason, but yes you shoudl mention that she was approached by him at least once or twice. As for the 'reasons' well, truth be told jason himself doesn't know why he seeks out who he seeks out. Like i said in the opening post: "The broken mirrors are supported by an anonymous benefactor going by the name of Shine who seems to have pertinent information on the administrators and the facilities of Brewster and regularly provides Jason with useful information to help the broken mirrors along with their plans".

Part of the information that Shine provides Jason (and jason is the only one who speaks directly with shine, and most broken mirrors don;t even know shine exists) is pointing him in the direction of potential members for him to scout out. Shine, for some reason or another, seems to have intimate knowledge of who can and cannot be trusted and uses that information to guide jason (though ultimately he is still the one who makes the final call on whether or not to accept someone into the broken mirrors). Jason mostly uses the charm and charisma of his Jack persona to inspire people to follow him, as well as using the information provided by shine on the potential candidates to make it very clear that he has a lot more information at his disposal than any regular subject shoudl have, using this as leverage to make the person trust in him and his ability to really get them out of brew. He also makes sure that whenever he meets a new potential candidate and finally decides to clue them in on what is going on with his group that he never gives out any specifics about said group or its members so he only puts himself at risk by inviting a new member in their fold.

Also, her power may not be strong, but when you;re planning an escape, having someone on your side who can scout out the area without being detected by enemy guards or surveillance equipment, that becomes a really damn useful tool. and the BMs value trustworthiness over power level anyways. So she is deffinitely someone they would want in their group even if she isn't that strong.

all of these complexities were part of the reason why i said that writing out how she had been contacted by the BMs and how long she had been with them was not really 'necesarry' because i knew it would be difficult for most people to write (and through no fault of their own) and I didn't want to impose somthing like that on my players ^^;.

Last edited:
I also wanted to ask you about possibly spying? I am assuming (though perhaps incorrectly) that astral projection works over large distances. And I will edit my post one more time (Hopefully ;P) to correct it.

Also, I really enjoy this idea, which is probably why I'm cool with rewriting a few times.

Edit: Changes are up. I think this'll need to be the last one though.

Last edited by a moderator:
the cool thing about telespy (and most espic powers) is that it's a relatively straightforward power. so as you grow in strength, the power will grow in 3 ways.

1. the number of senses that you can use while astrally projecting will increase.
2. the distance of how far you can project will increase.
3. the time you can spend projected will increase.

so right now, as having just become a C ranker, your girl could see and hear while astral projecting, but not touch, taste, or smell anything. she could only project over reasonably small distances, for example, if she was sitting in the centre room of a normal 2 story house, she could probably project into every room into that house, but would have difficulty peeking into the neighbour's house, and going all the way across the street would still be impossible. and she could still only manage it for only a few minutes at a time before being forced back in her own body and needing to wait a bit and 'recharge' before using the ability again.

so yes she;s an effective, if still limited spy. and she will become a greater and more effective spy as her powers grow.

now, i am off to look at your re-worked CS

Ok, cool. so i'm going to assume that after that initial meeting she was still intrigued enough by the prospect of getting off kaleidoscope that she agreed to meet with him anyways, and that was when he explained to her how kaleidoscope itself wasn't the real source of her fading psychological disorder (her mastering her powers was) and inducted her into his group of future escapees?

if so then everything's good with casey ^_^

Yup, i just felt while writing it that that was the natural ending. I'm now occupied reading the IC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.