"Or you could quit being dramatic, and quit stalling, and just tell me? I'm a big girl, Ivan, I'm not going to burst into tears and cry into my hands, so relax. I can take whatever you're going to tell me-- has he killed someone? This town makes people go crazy, it wouldn't surprise me," she admitted casually, or as casually as she could feign. That comment did make her freeze, nibbling on her thumbnail in sudden anxiousness. "Is that it, he's killed someone? O-Oh fuck, I mean... I can't imagine worse than that, I'll be honest."​

"No, he didn't kill someone- at least, I-I don't think he did. You promise you won't make fun of me, or call me crazy if I tell you?" He asked sternly, while carefully taking Laura's hand in his, his frown only growing. "Look, you aren't going to believe me. I'm going to look insane, but I can assure you that it's true. I met up with a guy at my church, right? His name is Azaiah. He helped me a bit, a-and I offered to get him some food as payment. Makai just so happened to be outside of the diner, and pretty much forced his way in, being the massive jerk he apparently is. All of a sudden, he dropped a massive bomb that he wasn't human, Laura, neither is his friend. He went all on about how he's the son of Satan himself, a-and that he's here only to mess with people for fun."

Giving the other a moment to process, Ivan suddenly burst into nervous laughter, and ran his fingers through his hair. "It sounds crazy, I know. I didn't believe him at first, but... please believe me? I know you don't care about this whole 'mumbo-jumbo' religious stuff, but I wouldn't lie to you.."

"...Is he on drugs? To have spouted all that fucking nonsense to you. Don't believe a word he says, he's clearly high on something," said Laura with a relieved laugh. After all, she didn't believe any of it whatsoever, so any anxiousness she held evaporated the instant he began talking of demons. Although, it said something about her trust for Makai when she believed he had actually said the words. She didn't insult her brother or claim he had made up Makai's statements. Rather, her focus was on why Makai would say them in the first place, because she did believe he had. She trusted her brother enough to know that he wouldn't fuck around with her like this.

"Ivan, I'm married to the man, I'd know if he was a demon. He's on drugs, alright?" She laughed, even if she wasn't too happy with that either. She may have smoked a joint now and then, but she had never smoked or taken anything stronger than that. Assuming Makai was made her grimace. "What evidence is there? He told you? It's his way of joking around, probably. Relax."​

"His friend was there too, a-and backed him up!" He insisted, while squirming in discomfort. "I trust his friend, he seems honest, so why would he lie? See, I told you, you wouldn't believe me. Can't you just, for one moment, acknowledge that I might be serious? That he might be serious? Just... He threatened me, Laura, with your life. He pretty much f-forced me to kiss him, but I chose his friend instead," he admitted quietly, his shameful reaction just more proof that he was telling the truth. "... I'm probably going to get kicked out of the church, Laura."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: potassiumboron
"And you expect me to believe my husband's not human? Are you sure the town hasn't made you crazy?" She weakly attempted, curling herself in the blanket and frowning warily at just how serious he seemed, especially when the kiss was mentioned and she witnessed his face flush with shame. Exhaling hard, with a glimpse of genuine fear on her face, she steeled and cleared it away a moment later, nudging her brother's shoulder with a forced smile.

"Hey, I believe you, really. Let's... lock the doors, the windows, and I'll come sleep in your room tonight, like I used to when we were kids and Mom ignored us," she whispered, smiling bravely as she pushed herself up off the couch. "...If he is a... demon, he hasn't hurt me or mistreated me in our two years of marriage, Ivan..."​

"That sounds nice, yeah..." he admitted, before carefully getting to his seat to rummage for his keys. The memory of locking their bedroom to hide from their mother wasn't very pleasant, but the what they tried to fill that time with was time spent with coloring books, or attempting to nap. As he locked the windows and drew the curtains, he rubbed his shoulder with a heavy frown, shuffling towards his bedroom in silence as his dog easily walked ahead, fully wanting to take advantage of sleeping in bed with his owner.

"I just want you to be safe, Laura. I care about you, you know?" He insisted, before carefully climbing into his bed, huffing as the dog practically blocked a large size of the bed.

• Useful
Reactions: potassiumboron
"And I want you safe, dummy. Even if that's from my apparently demonic and sadistic husband-- not apparently, I mean. I completely believe you, so... typical, ain't it? The one guy I happen to love and settle down with isn't even human. Just my luck," she laughed lightly, if only to try and cheer her brother up. She was used to him being more on the introverted, quiet side, sure, but she really wasn't used to him being this depleted and downtrodden.

"So, you kissed his friend, then? Let's forget you're a priest a moment, 'kay? How was it? Was it a good kiss at least?" She quietly prodded, more excited by the prospect he had kissed someone than the reality it had been with a demon. She had always been pretty critical of her brother giving up anything romantic, so knowing he had kissed someone was, admittedly, enjoyable.​

"Laura!" He squeaked, his cheeks red in embarrassment as he wrapped himself in blankets, sniffling. "... the kiss was nice, yes. Because of that, I'm going to lose my job. I... I feel dirty."

"Who's going to find out, anyway? Oh, is this Azaiah guy cute~? Let's... forget he's a demon, okay? Is he cute?" She pressed with her eyes now wide, pressing in close with her smile growing by the second. She had always wanted to take to her brother about boys, having realised which way he tended to go sexually when they were teenagers. She had tried to discuss with him boys she fancied, but he had always seemed far too bashful to continue a conversation more than five seconds. But he was an adult now, so he ought to be able to carry it on, right?

"You don't need to worry. I doubt they're going to get rid of you when everything's this chaotic," she reassured after a moment, tugging her fluffy socks off and, after tugging the duvet up, rested against the bed with a content sigh. "...I can't believe you kissed him, it'd be incredibly sweet if it were under different circumstances."​

"Yeah, like me being a priest, and he being a demon. That is literally the opposite of who I want to be with," he insisted, while burying his face in his pillow and wrapping his arms around the massive dog. "He's handsome, sure. Your husband is too, obviously, but... b-but that's not who I am, Laura. I'm not someone who is willing to abandon my faith because of a... well needed kiss. It's not really the fact that someone will find out, it's the fact that I did it."

"I wouldn't stress too much. You kissed a demon once; I've been married to one for two years. I had no idea, either-- then again, he's not what I thought a demon would look like. He's far too handsome," she murmured with her hands behind her head. She wasn't too happy about discussing her own situation, but if it took the heat off her brother, she was happy to put the topic of conversation back onto her and Makai.

"He won't hurt me, I'm sure. He... He's had so many chances to over the years, and I genuinely think he likes me. Nobody could fake love, not like that. He said so many sweet things, Ivan, I... I refuse to believe that he used me, completely. Did he say he loved me, still? Not that I care, I... I just... he's still my husband..."​

"I'd rather he not hurt you, and y'all being happy and whatnot. Just- please don't have a child with him? I mean, h-he's a demon, and imagine what monsters could come out if you two had babies. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true..." he insisted, while running his fingers through his hair wearily.

"Hey... Let's just, not talk for awhile. I think you and I should go to the church tomorrow, talk about this properly. Just- I'm sort of afraid to go alone, and I want you to be with me to prove this whole thing. At least his friend seems to be honest." He admitted, before groaning in distress.

"Okay, that's offensive. Have you seen how handsome Makai is? Our baby would be adorable-- but chill, I have no intention of having kids. Even if he was... human, I wouldn't have a child with him. It's not my thing, Ivan, so you really don't need to worry," she promised after a moment, slightly offended by his harsh tone, until reminding herself that he had every reason to be stern. If Makai was what he said, then the last thing she wanted was a child with a literal monster.

"You sure that's a good idea?" Laura questioned, her eyes peeking open at the suggestion. "I... don't know how safe I'd feel being around Makai, Ivan, not gonna lie. What if he... kills us? I-I mean..."​

"I wouldn't let you be killed, silly. It's my church, I need to make sure they aren't tearing the place apart." He replied into the pillow, before turning to face the other with a feigned smile. "You know, I shouldn't be so scared. After kissing a demon, I'll probably end up in Hell anyway, right? You can stay here, if you want... watch my dog..."

"I can't just stay while you head off on your own, don't be daft. We'll go together, alright? We're still siblings, and I've always got your back. If Makai tries anything, we'll... I dunno, I'll think of something." Laura laughed, mostly out of nervousness at just how unprepared she was with the whole thing. Seeing Makai shouldn't be anything to worry about-- if he was a normal human man. Him being the very opposite was a reason to fear her and Ivan's life, even if Makai apparently promised that wasn't on the agenda.​

"Let's just take a nap, okay?" He finally murmured, practically mimicking his dog's grunts as he buried his face into said dog's side. "I mean, I am. I just want to sleep off this day and whatnot. Just, please don't leave the house during that time? I don't want to wake up and it turns out you're who-knows-where. I promise I'll get you a nice burger tomorrow, and it'll be all nice..."

As he drifted off mid-conscious, exhausted snores could be heard. The day had been stressful and, while sleeping in the middle of the day wasn't optimal, it felt right. He deserved it, after all! Messing with demons and whatnot was a bit obnoxious.

Despite being exhausted herself, and wanting nothing more than to get a good night's rest, her brother's revelation did mean she stayed up all the hours until the morning, having had bountiful mugs of coffee to keep her going without a hitch. She had played it off relatively coolly, but the news of her husband had affected her terribly, and when knowing her brother wasn't awake, she had cried into her pillow a good hour and a half, with the rest of the night being spent with her sitting up and staring off into space.

By morning, though, she had her brave face on again, redoing her ruined makeup and straightening her highlighted hair before waking up Ivan. "Oi, wake up, would you~? I have breakfast going, we can take it with us. It's just some bacon sandwiches, we can eat 'em in the car before seeing Makai and his friend."​

Groaning awake, he protested when the dog hopped from the bed at the smell of bacon. Fluttering his eyes open, he reluctantly sat up and ran his fingers through his messy locks. With an equally reluctant murmur of discontent, he slid into his slippers to wander towards the kitchen, desperately wanting his coffee.

"... No good morning? Rude, Laura. Look, you really don't need to go. You can watch over Buddy, and I can pick us up some food on the way back. I thought about it, a lot, in my dreams. I'm strong enough to handle it on my own, and I need to protect you- thank you, for the sandwiches."

"And you think I should just sit back in the house while you head into the lion's den, really? Not that they'll hurt you-- I mean, Makai wouldn't hurt you, I'm pretty sure," she began in a frantic babble, even if she was trying her hardest to act casual and pretend that she was perfectly calm. On the contrary, the idea of heading to the church filled her with dread, and the thought of staying behind hardly made her feel better.

"...I'll stay and look after Buddy if you want that," she sighed heavily, leaning down to offer a streak or two of bacon to said dog. "But honestly, what if you do get hurt? How shit a sister would I be then?"​

"I mean, you have been living across the country for a year and a half. I could have died then, and you probably would have never known. I don't think you'd be missing me much anyway, if I died. You'd be thankful that I wasn't 'forcing this whole religion thing down your throat'." He replied rather morbidly, though he found no fear in the idea at this point. Hopefully, he'd make it to Heaven and watch over Laura. If he was in Hell, he could at least keep demons at bay.