"You'll have to ask Laura, really. I mean, our wedding back in California was -pardon my French- pretty shit. I wanted this huge celebration, but money was tight, so we said some vows in a registration office, without any note of romance. I'd definitely like to marry her again, retake our vows here. Make it more of a celebration-- I'd love that. I'll ask her, see if she wants to do that," he promised, though had very little intention of going through it again. The first time he married her was done purely on a whim. He liked Laura, surprisingly, but he hadn't wanted to marry her. He blamed his introduction to vodka and various alcoholic pops for his nuptials.

"That's disappointing. I wish you would have at least invited me to see me... at least coming to see me was good enough," he sighed, before sipping his tea. "I really wished you two would stay here. I mean, I want you to help be a family again. You could move next door, start a cute garden and raise kids... though I know you two are hip and happenin' Californians. Probably'll brew up some of that- what's it called? Kumbucha? - but I'm willing to try and live your way too."

Genuinely laughing, rather than having to force it, he ridiculed the notion of children almost immediately-- and it was something Laura shared with him too, which was why the relationship, however forced on his part, did work out. She wasn't exactly pressuring him for a domestic life. She was happy enough as they were, living as each day passed without planning for the future. It would catch up with them, if he was a normal human man with little money. He was the very opposite, after all, and he didn't plan on staying with Laura for more than two years. He would eventually get bored and start to travel again, when his little game with her brother and the dreary town ended at least.

"Children are not in the picture, not at all. Laura said she's not sure she can have them, which is good news, really. Neither of us want them. We're not... the parent type. But the idea of moving into the town is one I'll pass on. I like it here. I'm not the California type, either. Laura is, without a doubt, but I'd rather live peacefully with a nice routine."​

"So no chance of any little Nancy's or Steven's running about?" He confirmed with a pout, to add a tease to his upset. After all, being unable to have sex meant no kids in his future, so he fully intended to try and rely on his sister to one day show up at his door with a committed husband and children on the way. At least a part of that dream was still true.

"Don't like to me, I know you probably don't want to settle down either. I can't blame you, some people think it's boring here. Obviously, Laura did. I'm content with my domestic life..."

• Love
Reactions: potassiumboron
"Oh, no, I genuinely like it here. I don't party, or have that lifestyle you think I do. I travel, that's as adventurous as I get. I barely like alcohol. I just drink it now and then when Laura insists I relax and act my age," he responded, pressing back from the table when his food arrived, thanking his waiter with a genuine grin. Though, not because of the service and the sight of the prepared meal, but rather the commotion the couple were now starting to make. Quiet grumblings of discontent had become uncharacteristic threats on one another's life, all because of Makai of course, but who was going to blame him for it? All he did was glance across and observe like everyone in the restaurant until the two who asked to leave, which only propelled their arguing.

"Marital problems? Shame, that. I'd hate Laura and I to argue that vitriolically," he murmured slowly, tutting as he turned back to the table. "They seemed like a nice couple, though. You talked of them like they were saints. Do they threaten to kill one another often?"​

"I- no, n-not at all!" He gasped, the horror on his face evident as he watched the two storm off. The two were practically perfect, and for the discussion to escalate so quickly was terrifying. Ivan turned away, nonetheless, with a moment of silence to really react.

"I... guess some people just hide themselves well behind the public eye. I'm shocked, though, really. I do hope this is just some fluke, you know? Maybe some misunderstanding... maybe I'll talk to them after this."

"It's quite frightening, isn't it? How some people can act so differently, without warning... I'm sure they'll be fine, Ivan," promised Makai with a faint smile, especially when noticing the shock across the other's face. He had thought toying with the couple was a relatively small and unadventurous trick, but it had a far bigger reaction than he had expected. He wanted to push things further, have a chef stab someone or set the kitchen on fire, but he also wanted to eat his food without the drama, so he figured further tricks could wait a while. "Eat up, it'll go cold-- don't let their issues ruin our lunch."​

"I suppose you're right," he replied, offering a nod as he twirled the pasta skillfully, his attention now focused on the action to avoid the thought of the couple separating. He renewed the couple's vows not more than a month ago, and to think of the two happy couple were threatening to kill one another so openly? He couldn't help but not only blame himself, but be fearful for their future.

"I can see you're worried-- if it helps, my mother has frequently threatened my father's life. He's a serial adulterer, it isn't any wonder she's threatened him. However, they always end up in each other's arms again and confessing their love at the end of the night. Things work out, if they love one another. It's nothing to worry about, I'm sure," he confessed, deciding to offer some advice to make himself seem like the gentleman he was already perceived to be, and to add more sincerity, he had been perfectly honest. His father was a cheat, and his mother had often held knives to his neck in anger-- though they were still together after all the decades, so love tended to win out. At least, in their situation.​

"That's awful! See, I know this is against my beliefs, but I feel like if you are that miserable with one another, maybe... maybe God made a mistake. He ain't perfect, you know? It sounds like your parents would be better off going their separate ways..."

As he spoke, Ivan's mood obviously dwindled a tad. Nonetheless, he kept a smile to at least lighten the mood.

"...This isn't the best conversation to bond over, is t? I'ts rather depressing," laughed Makai as he pushed aside his empty plate and dabbed the corner of his mouth with his napkin lightly, before setting down a few notes to pay for the meal. He at least wanted to make an effort to seem kind and generous, even if he also feigned awkwardness pretty well too.

"It's all I have right now, so I can't give a tip," he explained after counting through the note with faux grimacing. "I'll happily pay for the meal, though. I want to, so you aren't going to talk me out of it."​

"Don't be silly, you and Laura need to save your money. I've got enough, so you can just pay tip, okay?" He insisted, while rummaging through his wallet for the correct amount. "I want you to have as much money as possible now, until you two get back on your feet properly. At least, you'll be able to have some extra money to get supplies for a job, you know? Just enjoy the meal, that's all I can ask for!" He cooed, before physically shoving the demon's money back to him. "I'm sorry that there had to be such a... disturbing interruption, Makai."

"Disruptive? Oh, not at all. It was an argument that got out of hand, it's nothing surprising. I've been in many a bar with Laura at night and the arguments I've witnessed are far more shocking than this, so... it's really nothing," he admitted, thankfully pocketing some of the money and leaving just the tip, as practically demanded to. He may have a lot of cash personally, thanks to selling one of his father's watches the moment he left his home, but that didn't mean he was going to splash his money. He wanted to be thrifty with it and spend it only when he needed.

"It was nice, I'm a little disappointed Laura didn't come with us-- maybe we can go out again in the week, with her? Or maybe just you two, so you can catch up. I have a lot to do, anyway," he admitted casually, without delving into the specifics - there was hardly a need to, after all.​

"As if she would want to be anywhere near me alone for more than an hour. The few days we spent together alone were... were awful, to be honest. She just seems to try everything in her power to grind my gears, you know? It's whatever, though, I need to be an adult and not let it affect me!" He proclaimed sternly, moreso to himself than the other. "I just hope that you're safe doing whatever you're doing."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"I'm perfectly alright, it's just a little job-hunting and promoting myself around the town. I need to pay you rent, and getting a steady job will obviously help a great deal-- we can talk about it later, I know going over all this stuff isn't at all entertaining or remotely enjoyable," laughed Makai as he downed the remainder of his beer and strolled back out to the car, smiling in satisfaction at the couple still arguing despite being in their own car and ready to drive home. He could stop the bitterness easily... but he didn't entirely want to. Similarly, the car ride back to the cosy home was made far better when he could spend it peering out the window at various uncharacteristic occurrences: a man angrily cutting up his prize garden with his gardening shears in some sort of rage; a young teenager, known for his goodwill and generosity, running from a store after stealing a few cans of beer, just to name some examples of the goings on Makai had happily created. He didn't mention the strange events, but he knew full well that they were made obvious to the priest, and he didn't entirely bother hiding the smile from his face, either.

"Dinner was lovely, thanks," he graciously smiled once back at the home, getting from the car and glancing around the neat street calmly. "It really is a nice area you live in, very homely..."​

"I... uh, thank you..." he whispered, once again quieted by the mess he saw as he drove by. He wanted to stop at each strange occurrence and help, but he had company, and a friend had told him strictly to try and stop putting orher's responsibilities on him. So, while forcing a weak smile, he locked his car a good ten times, just for safety.

"Anyway, uh... let's, um... let's just get inside. I suggest you two be careful when you go out- I promise this town ain't no messy place for criminals."

"You are kidding, aren't you? This area of town hasn't got anything good going for it, Ivan. It's a ghost town sometimes. There aren't any good hangouts," mumbled Laura from the couch, apparently breaking away from her TV show enough to take in their conversation, turning away from the screen to inspect them both. "You seemed to have a good time, though? That's good, I want you getting on-- he's great, isn't he Ivan? You approve, I guess? Considering we don't exactly have our folks around, I guess your opinion counts a lot."

"We got on just fine, relax. There were a few strange... goings on, but aside from that, it was really great," admitted Makai easily, moving to take a seat on the couch beside his wife and casually wrapped an arm around her shoulders. It was something he didn't need to think about or force himself to do - it came naturally now, and, surprisingly, it was an act of affection he didn't mind too much. "I thought so, at least. Hopefully the feeling's mutual~ I genuinely like it here, Laura."

For the following month, Makai often gushed about how much he loved it in the town. In fact, the more strange things become, the more he seemed to proclaim his adoration... even if the occurrences would repel anyone from liking the town. Crime was at an all time high, from more menial crimes like small burglaries to a spike in arson attacks and murders. People who were seen as local heroes, described as angels, were suddenly acting out of character and lashing out... or simply indulging in their hidden desires. It wasn't just crime that had changed in the town. People, generally, became more selfish. The church's regulars still attended, but noticeable differences in their personality were made apparent - a kind woman who helped with Bible study had cheated on her husband and openly boasted about her adultery, for example.

In fact, it was that example that made Laura pay attention. Despite the month of weirdness, she hadn't really cared too much. She had been far more irritated with the fact she and Makai were still in Georgia, when she wanted nothing more than to return to L.A. She adored her brother, but she had her own life to live, right? Though, the news of Emily, a woman who had been around Laura since her birth, suddenly becoming some boastful adulterer was shocking, to say the least. Yet, she was immune to her husband's behaviour over the month. As far as she was aware, her husband had been nothing short of perfect. He was always heading out helping her brother, for one thing, but he also seemed to exhaustively look for work, tirelessly help out around the house and still manage to find time to be romantic with her. It wasn't surprising, therefore, that she was incapable of seeing his behaviour over the weeks.

He had been everything she described him as. He was always helping out, and frequently attended Ivan's church services, even against Laura's will. Hell, he had attended every single one so far, more out of amusement than anything else. Though, his behaviour, at least to Ivan, had become far more suspect. Makai, as the cause for the town's changed identity, had found great amusement in everything, and he hardly bothered hiding it. That was the point, after all - mess with the town, corrupt a few souls and make Ivan suspicious of him. There was nothing like messing with a man of the cloth, Makai realised.

Currently, Makai was out of the house as he usually was at midday, 'searching for work', as he lied. In truth, he was downtown drinking in a local bar and watching people fight violently over the most trivial of matters. Without him, Laura just tended to laze around watching daytime soap operas and eating junk food, which was the scene currently taking place, with the young girl curled up under a duvet and tucking into a large pack of Doritos. Well, until seeing Ivan anyway, shoving the food under the blanket discreetly and grinning in hopes of distracting him. "Hey! Come sit down, Ivan-- the show's about to start, if you wanna come watch with me. Makai's out, so I'm pretty lonely, y'know?"

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
Wandering slowly from his bedroom, having spent an extra hour than usual just to check up on the news and whatnot of that day, Ivan's eyes were heavy and his general demeanor different. To see all of the violence and terror around him reminded him far too much of his life living with his mother and, as a result, worried him. Nonetheless, ignoring the Doritos deliberately, he sat down besides Laura before wrapping himself in one of the knitted blankets the elderly women in his church all helped make. The apartment was on full blast for the cold air, mostly due to Ivan waking up sweating, but the daytime often ended up with him being freezing cold.

"I don't know why you're getting so depressed about it all," stated Laura quietly after a few moments of silence, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand before inching up a little closer to her big brother, in an attempt to genuinely support him. They may bicker at times, and they clearly contrasted in their approaches to things, but he had raised her when their mother hadn't, and she was thankful to him for that.

"It isn't your fault that the town's gone a little crazy-- bad people exist everywhere and bad things happen no matter the place, you know? Makai says it's natural, part of human society. Bad people are going to spring up," she shrugged after a moment, tugging her Doritos back out and hitching her knees to her chest to make more room for her brother. "Y'know, Makai's become a hell of a lot more interested into that religious stuff since you guys started hanging out, so that's good, ain't it? That you have someone to talk to, because, let's face it, I'm shit at trying to be open-minded with religion-- Makai says that people indulge in their desires, no matter the good others do, so don't put yourself down about it. You've still made a difference, Ivan. Just because some fuckwits are out there burning shit up, it doesn't mean you're to blame, gosh."​

"I just thought I was helping the world out by spreading a positive message. I-I mean, everyone has been fine for years now, it's just so sudden..." he insisted, nearly welling with tears all the while. "I'm not even a good priest. I tried, and failed, isn't that pretty common from me, though?- I need to stop thinking such negative things, don't I? It... ain't the end of the world. I've always been a dramatic person though, huh?"

As he spoke, his voice cracked. The whole situation was stressful, whether it be the funding the church received due to the lack of people showing up, or just the general chaos surrounding his home. He wasn't used to it, and he was slowly growing suspicious.