Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we now have an IC thread. The first post is up to do a little scene setting and give us a concrete place to start introductions. The idea is a gradual, rolling start in case anyone is tired of sitting around in a slow moving OOC.

To anyone still working on anything or looking at the thread, first, thanks for even reading to this page. We're not closing to newcomers and it's my hope that we continue to introduce people to the plot.

• Thank You
Reactions: Quake and Brovo
I'll try to get a reply up either Sunday or Monday. :ferret:

Color me interested!

@IceChateau777

Thank you for your interest! If there's anything you want to know or that I can do to help please feel free to ask.

I'll be getting a post up tomorrow. My focus has been on an important assignment for the past few days, and I'm seeing that done before I put much thought to anything.

Any need for more players? Found you on the advert page and I'd like to join if you'll have me.

@Jess Incognito

Welcome to the thread. We're always open to new players, and we're only at introductions so there's no catching up to do at the moment. I would be glad to have you with us.

NAME: Ilse Dobreyn

APPEARANCE: Standing 5'9", Ilse is tall for a woman, but her slender figure is more to be noticed than her height. Curly, light blonde hair hangs below the middle of her back. Some strands have grown so light, they're almost silver in the light. Her eyes are a light blue. Her skin is fair and smooth, although lately a familiar crease has made a home on her brow, leaving a serious and knowing look about her. In her maidenhood she was a beautiful girl with energy and brightness - while her face remains mostly unchanged, her features show more of a reserved personality - call it a loss of innocence. A scar across the left side of her neck is still red, but healed.
CLOTHING: She wears a long, charcoal traveling cloak tied at the top with a seemingly out of a place piece of twine. Beneath this she wears a simple blue dress with a loose leather belt slung over her hips.

WEAPONS: Ilse is not skilled with any weapon, but carries a dagger on her belt.
BELONGINGS:
Her WEDDING BAND, which she keeps tucked away in a satchel.
Dry materials for a POULTICE, meant to treat her own wound if it festered again, but it never did.
Some COIN, the only gift left by her savior and it isn't much.
PERSONALITY: Ilse grew up with a bright disposition. Always quick to laugh and play, which is not difficult to maintain into adulthood in an easy life. These days she's quite solemn and doesn't say much more than is necessary. She's quite the mediator - with a soft voice and good temperament. She's not afraid of conflict, but she doesn't go in guns blazing when there's an argument to be had. She's always thought of herself simply as a mother; caring towards others and always present when needed whatever the need, but lately its difficult to find much to care about, including herself.

HISTORY: Her family was a noble one and like all daughters of noblemen, Ilse was trained in the arts and graces. She's quite the harpist and has a beautiful voice; her stitches are always straight and she speaks several languages. Of course, what all of these skills amount to is nothing useful in the real world. She married an elder son and bore him a daughter and an heir within the first years. She was a loving mother and a capable wife. Ilse was satisfied.

Then her husband was named traitor to the King and all happiness seemed lost to her. Ilse begged him to flee, but he refused to forfeit his wealth and position for life. What was life without it? When they came to retrieve him, he did the deed himself; he took his children with him and tried to take his wife. The soldiers discovering them took the body of her husband for the records and left the others to be cleaned up later. Ilse sustained a shallow cut on her throat and a stab wound in her abdomen. The children were long dead when one soldier returned. He had been a close friend of the Dobreyn's before the declaration. He was torn by it, but ultimately stayed loyal to duty. He could properly bury the dead, though. He wrapped the children in sheets and carried them out to the wagon. Finally he came for Ilse, who opened her eyes meekly when he raised her onto the sheet.

Though they were alone in the large home, he said nothing and covered her the same as her children and carried her to the wagon outside. He took her to a discreet man outside the boundaries of the city and left her there. He did not take chances returning again. After a few weeks of care, her wounds were healed and her keeper, whose very name she did not know for his infallible silence, beckoned she take her leave. She has been on the road since.

Reactions: Quake
@Jess Incognito

Accepted! I'll have her linked on the character sheet in just a moment. Feel free to make your introduction whenever you like. There's no posting order at the moment.

@Brovo
@Limeypanda

You guys hanging in there? It's been silence for a few days. I don't mean to rush, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can or need to do to help with your intros.

@Brovo
@Limeypanda

You guys hanging in there? It's been silence for a few days. I don't mean to rush, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can or need to do to help with your intros.
Still here, just got caught up with other nonsensical things. Will work on a post today, seeing as how I have the day off. :ferret:

See? Is done now! Not sure where to proceed yet, so my characters are opting for the good old "wait a moment to catch their bearings" approach. Fontaine's going to watch the last wagon, stopped by the guards, and if it proves too slow or too disinteresting, he'll likely move onto a tavern.

Thanks, I appreciate it. They're taking the same approach the thread is, for the moment. Once we've got everyone situated or existing and the meet and greet is fading it'll be less awkward to start throwing out them plot hooks.

I'll get to work on a post soon, then!

I'm milling about with another character, but I'd like some input first. I know you've said however the characters fall - one side or the other - is whatever it is and I think it looks like we've mostly got those leaning (or very soon will be) on the side of a rebellion. Mostly I'm wondering if it would be useful to have a character very plainly on the side of the King.

I was thinking the soldier friend from Ilse's history - he wouldn't be a bad man, per se, but a man who values loyalty above all else and therefore will follow the King for better or worse, perhaps becoming a villain through it.. It could also be interesting for characters like Mikalash, former soldier and all, they could have known (of) each other.

Thanks, I appreciate it. They're taking the same approach the thread is, for the moment. Once we've got everyone situated or existing and the meet and greet is fading it'll be less awkward to start throwing out them plot hooks.
Fair. I did throw @DrowsyPangolin a bone by having Emily stare at her character, then get scolded, then have the two talk openly and bluntly about their plans with her in the same wagon. I wasn't sure what to do for @QuakeUPSB but I'm sure the sight of a noble plague doctor and a woman wearing a breast plate in broad daylight would be an odd enough combination for him to take interest in that alone, if he should so choose. :ferret:

Cuz', we do need to form something of a meet n' greet group dynamic. I can manage to bring the group together if everyone finds a reason (even just plain curiosity) to talk to my duo. After that, hopefully, you can give us a direction. I figure either the tavern or that fourth, covered wagon are interest points, so I'm having my characters take notice of those things first.

Reactions: Quake
@Jess Incognito

It's certainly an allegiance not represented by any character yet, which, I think, would make that character an important addition to the cast. The soldier friend was someone I immediately thought would be appearing as an NPC or later character even as I read the bio, so I think he makes an excellent candidate as well.

The current faces of the loyalist side, at least that I have at the moment, consist mostly of those dependent on the current system such as the local governments and the abbey, as well as people generally more concerned with upholding some concept of order within the country. A loyalist that is expressly on the side of the king, for better or worse, has some interesting possibilities.

@Brovo

I think it's a good plan. Ideally, though, the tavern card doesn't have to be pulled in the middle of round one. We'll have more direction as I amend my mistakes. It was my intention not to intrude on people's initial characterizations and interactions with an NPC but I'm thinking the amount of instant direction 'that person in the first GM post' offers would have been more valuable than multiple points of interest. I know there are still people doing their introductions but I'll be getting a post ready. I guess it makes sense to have a post establishing the setting and one for a character's introduction.

@Jess Incognito If it helps at all, Luger Fontaine (plague doctor) is an intellectual and a neutral party. He's out to better understand the conflict because his family will inevitably become involved and he wants to take first crack at it himself. He could side either way still, so long as neither side promotes something as extreme as a genocide. (A doctor can't advocate for mass murder.)

This contrasts to Emily (ex-bandit), who isn't an intellectual, and wasn't born rich like Luger. She'll likely side with the faction against the king, due to his callous disregard for the commoner, and the fact that it's typically easier to romanticize a rebellion instead of the establishment.

@Epsir Aye. I find the easiest way to introduce a new world to people is through the lens of a centralized objective or person. In fiction it's often relegated to an "everyman" character, but in role plays players typically take that role, so the next best thing is "here is an item of interest." Something unifying, which can attract the attention of all the player characters. Introductions come naturally with that, since if everyone is pursuing the same thing, the proper human thing to do (and, well, proper pacing thing to do) is everyone introducing themselves to each other while pursuing the item of interest together.

Whatever you decide, I'll try to follow it and get everyone together in its pursuit. Whatever, more complicated paths the narrative may take thereafter which may split the group, are not presently on my mind. :ferret:

Oh, right, and I'll go slap @Limeypanda upside the head for you. I have him on Skype, and he's a player in my own RP, so I can have some information for you about him later, assuming he doesn't relay it himself.

Walks in, nursing a minor bruise on the back of the head.

I'm doing a thing now. Just need to catch up on the posts made since I last was up-to-date.

@Brovo I think I'm going to go ahead and make the character and depending on things go it sounds like Luger and he could end up having an interesting relationship. But, all that lies in whatever happens. We shall see.

That reminds me - I'm going camping this weekend, so I guess I'll get the character sheet for the soldier up on Monday. He's mostly thought through...but you know how actually writing things goes. :P

Alright! Just posted. (:

Y'know what drives me insane? The fact indentation doesn't show up when we post. Ugh. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.