Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to still have you guys after a slow first week. With any luck we might hear back from Pinkleton but I think to help things along I'm going to get an advert thread up for us.

Reactions: Quake
Sounds good! Hopefully we get more people to join.

Are you going to do a cs as well, @Epsir? (:

Sounds good! Hopefully we get more people to join.
CuriousFerret.jpg

Wasn't sure this was still recruiting. I'll take a closer gander later today (after I sleep), but this role play has caught my attention. Just a few questions though.

#1: Is there an IC? (If there is one, I failed to find it.)
4: Be active. The thread benefits from a faster pace, if we can have everyone posting multiple times a day it would be fantastic, but as a minimum I ask for a post every few days. You won't be kicked but at that point we have no choice but to move along.
#2: Is it really multiple times a day? That's... Pretty prohibitively fast for a lot of people, myself included. I could post multiple times a week, but a single day? I don't think I could do that consistently. Are you sure that's what you're looking for?

#3: Is it fair to say that this role play's general time period is late medieval? (In terms of technological advances that is.)

#4: How effective is medicine in this? Is herbalism and alchemy a form of "minor magic" as it were, and can it do supernatural or miraculous things, or is it simple pseudo-science with no meaning to it whatsoever? (I did see that there's a little magic in this world.)

#5: Will we (the players) all be working together, or will we end up separating and dividing into different factions?

#6: I noticed that Arcartus' culture holds little to no gender disparity, but given the time period, is it the norm for most of society, or only certain sections of it? (Note: I haven't read all of the world details. Because it's 2:30 AM here, so I need to sleep before fully ingesting it all.)

#7: Are plague doctors a thing? (IE: These creepy fellows.)

Thanks in advance for your responses. :ferret:

@QuakeUPSB

Yes, actually. I've been kind of waffling on who exactly would fit the current characters best for what I guess you could call the welcoming party, but now I'm thinking it was a poor decision not to have ready made character examples up regardless of when exactly those NPCs enter the thread. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, outside the thread and on.

@Brovo

Thank you for your interest. It's strange, this is one of the only times I haven't slapped an open or an always open sign on a thread, but we're always open. Anyway, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1: Nope, I wasn't sure if it was normal on this board to have an IC before a thread has actually begun roleplaying. I guess even an empty thread won't hurt if people are cruising that section when looking for threads to join, though.

2: Multiple posts every day is absolutely not my expectation. I set the minimum as a post every few days because I like to have it in wording that if someone disappears we may continue the thread in their absence after a reasonable amount of time. Rules are there to serve the people following them, and we already have someone expressing interest in the thread whose resume states one post a day/a few a week, which is a speed I have played at before and have no problem working at. To be completely honest, the only thing I am certainly looking for are players. It's been about a year since I last set up shop on Iwaku and I noticed that there were some fast moving threads here. My intent was to accommodate any style that might end up at my door.

3: I think that's pretty fair in terms of what you can expect to see, especially in the context of a war. There's some breaks from that which I hit the rougher points on in answering Shogun's questions on the previous page, he came out of it saying 1400s, which is right on the button for late medieval.

I dislike picking a pet time period because of the nature of invention. Technologies or schools of thought have been simply lost and refound throughout Earth's history, things that could have happened did not by accident and circumstance, etc. Even in reality the standard of technology is not uniform, so squashing a universe already riddled with anachronisms into another universe's series of contrivances and accidents just feels inadequate at best and limiting at worst. I understand that that's an unfair thing to say on my part when I can't offer a complete history of Estovet in replacement, but I've always preferred exploration to explanation and I'm confident that it can work.

4: Medicine is constrained within realistic boundaries. Medicine as a science is relatively well understood and basic preventative concepts like isolation and sanitation are common knowledge. In practice, the majority of medical care in Lachne would come from local doctors or at the hands of largely independent chemists. Most established hospitals would be in city centers, between educational institutes and religious organizations that have historically offered care. There is no magic in what they do. Adherents of pseudoscience and people who simply don't know what they're doing still make their way into the mix, and you can bet there are certainly more of them now that violence is on the rise and what minuscule regulation exists is slowly ceasing to be.

5: That's largely up to the players. Everyone is starting on these carts, so far, as the intro kind of pleads for them to do. I have NPCs affiliated with either side of the conflict, those stuck in the middle, and people largely outside. The international investigation mentioned is almost a default option, not my dearest hope for us to become centered around but an option for the truly neutral and disinterested in the conflict. I don't believe the term sandbox fits my intent because there's definitely a plot but I want people to have freedom to approach the conflict as they please. I expect at least a few people to split from whatever the primary group aligns themselves with, but don't expect that to keep groups of players isolated from each other. Being largely stuck in Edeur means there isn't much elbow room for their factions.

6: In Arcartus there is traditionally no distinction drawn between the genders and that has been kept as they grew into modernity. That is the norm for their society at every level, although it's more about having needed every last member of the society to be able to perform essential tasks, and equality was derived from equal responsibility. In the Myriad, the status of the sexes isn't a question that's so clean to answer. The one commonality among those nations is deriving validity from tradition. Some western royal families have always been or were at one point became matriarchal. For the people of the west, however, frequent wars between small, fragile countries have forced the division of genders at the labor level. Women work, and men go soldiering. Not only is it a necessity for the region's lifestyle, the division has become traditional. It would be dishonorable to seek a role one wasn't born into. The Trade Powers, and in this case particularly Lachne, make almost the same distinction but there's evidence of their more stable and sheltered history. Women are involved in the faiths, education, science, and are often merchants in their own right. Under most countries' laws there is no distinction between legal entities, male or female, but these are relatively recent inventions and in terms of how society looks at men and women they are far from equal and both see their fair share of assigned roles. It might be embarrassing for a woman to seek employment instead of a working husband, it might be seen as absurd for a man to be an educator or raising children, but these things happen and they do so in cultures that tend to thrive around a good scandal every now and then.

7: I borrow so much from Europe I think it would be criminal if they weren't. A war brewing, coming need for lots of doctors, maybe people trying to start their career... there's a whole lot of need among medicine sellers for a distinctive look.

I feel you on the time. It's now 7:01 am and I should have probably gotten some sleep before answering, but hopefully they are adequate.

Last edited:
"Primum nil nocere."

Name: Luger James Fontaine. "Gravedigger."

Appearance: Short brown hair, kept actively trimmed so as to fit easily within his doctor's mask. Standing around 180cm and weighing in at around 160 LBS, he appears deceptively lithe underneath the robes, where in reality, he's quite healthy. He has a charming enough face, though it's marred by a small scar along the left side of his chin from a training accident in his youth. Yet, his green eyes can't deceive a certain level of genuine earnest in his motivations and actions.

Clothing:
the_plague_doctor___concept_01_by_zyanthia.jpg

(Source.)

When not wearing his plague doctor's outfit, he spends his time traversing the world in a plain brown tunic, worn overtop of a white cotton shirt. It's a poor choice for the dirty streets he often traverses, becoming dusty and even muddied no matter how hard he tries to prevent it. A plain, simple, leathery brown comprises the texture and colour of the pants he wears, along with a pair of simple leather boots. Around his neck, he wears a family heirloom: A necklace made out of a mixture of gold and silver.

His plague doctor's outfit is kept in a traveling sack, which he carries around with a large strap. It's beige in colour, and has a specially made loop to hang his profession's characteristic mask upon. Children often stare at it with wonder, and adults with fear.

For everything else he carries, he has a large traveling pack he wears upon his back. This slows him down and makes it hard for him to run long distances, due to the weight of it all, but it does explain his remarkable fitness when combined with his medical knowledge.

Weapons:
  • At his waist, he carries an arming sword. Simple, yet surprisingly expensive, given that like most quality blades, his was manufactured by hand at a talented smith. Upon the pommel is etched his family's name in gold lettering: Fontaine. It's not uncommon to find Fontaine covering the lettering with his hand when traversing through unseemly parts of town. There are no magical properties or anything else to this weapon: It's just a sword, but one that Fontaine has been trained to use with surgical precision if necessary.
  • Technically speaking, his myriad medical tools could be used as impromptu weapons, but they would all likely be less effective than simply grabbing the leg of a table and beating someone to death with it. In order: hacksaw (for hacking off someone's limb), scalpel (for precision cuts, typically to bleed someone of a disease), a needle and threading.
Belongings:
  • A myriad of basic medical supplies (bandages, needle & threading, a hacksaw & scalpel, rubbing alcohol).
  • A small medical book, which helps him to diagnose diseases, as well as serving as an instruction manual for what plants can supposedly help ease pain. (He doesn't have a great grasp of herbalism, but he has a book that can help him with it if he's given enough time to rifle through its contents.)
  • Plague doctor's outfit, secondary normal outfit.
  • His family heirloom. (Gold necklace.)
  • Some spare coin, just in case he needs to purchase something.
  • His plague doctor stick. (Mainly used for poking things to see if they're dead. Because medieval medicine was pretty much poking things with sticks and seeing if they moved.)
  • Two carrying sacks. (One carried at his side via strap, the other carried on his back.)

Personality: Luger Fontaine is the kind of person who never gives up on a patient until there's no possible way to save them. He's stalwart, courageous, and principled, though he flinches in the face of grotesque violence: His compassion makes him desire an avoidance of conflict. He's willing to fight and kill, but regrets such actions immensely afterwards. Where others might be two faced, Luger is quite clear: He fights in the name of medicine, in the name of order, and in the name of compassion, and little else.

History: While the Kingdom of Lachne may not have been known for its mercantilism, the Fontaine family made its fortune there. They acted as middle men for sales of art and literature, and gained connections with other merchant families in other lands to get better deals on importing textiles and expensive dyes. Eventually, through an entire generation of hard labour, the Fontaines made their way beyond the simplicity of peasantry, and became as wealthy as many of the more minor noble houses in their area. The Fontaine name can be commonly found on a niche market of trade goods Thus, they have spent a great deal of money preening all of their male heirs, to try and find a way to marry into the blue bloods. After all, the only way up after one has the wealth, is the bloodlines.

This is where Lugar comes into the picture. Fourth to the line of successors of the Fontaine estate, he was allowed to pursue his more intellectual studies of medicine, though was forced to learn the way of the blade as well. After a training accident cut open his chin, he found his family's interest in him sharply declined: It would be easier to sell the other male heirs, who weren't damaged. Thus, they made no protest when he chose the dangerous profession of a plague doctor. In their minds, they felt he might earn the affection of a noble heiress by saving her life, and thus secure a line into the blue bloods that way. Lugar, however, had different motivations.

He saw the suffering caused by plagues, the misery it inflicted on most. The one sister he had, perished to a malady that was never identified. Determined to never let it happen again, he took to his studies hard, and even spared his eldest brother from death's door after a hunting accident he is quite certain was perhaps far more orchestrated than most professed to believe. Yet, being that he spoke ill of such things, he quickly found himself being encouraged to greater ventures in his medical career away from his home.

So, being no great fool, he stepped away. His dedication to his work attracted many would-be apprentices to him, and on occasion, he would teach them for a few weeks before moving on without them.

As for his family, he has found that the conflict has only helped them. After all, strife makes it harder to get certain valuable goods which his family has the connections to acquire cheaply and sell highly. They will side with whichever side proves more likely to win in their eyes, late in the conflict, hedging their bets until the last moment.

Lugar, however, is too discontent with such avarice. He will head to the source of the conflict, and attempt to figure out what should be done. And along the way, if he can mend a few stab wounds, all the better.

Strengths
  • Fontaine... Doctor Fontaine: His family is rich. Not the sort of extravagant, ultra blue blooded rich, though. More like the "merchants turned minor nobles" kind of rich. Nonetheless, his family's star has been rising from the ranks of the commoners for the past several years, and Luger--the fourth of six brothers--has enjoyed both the benefits of wealth and the freedom of being three steps off from the heir. He's educated on many things: History, medicine, and the art of the sword being among the highest of his accomplishments.
  • Plague Doctor: His outfit gives him social power. Not in the sense of being suave, but in the sense that nobody wants to get in the way of people who regularly throw themselves into the face of plagues on a regular basis. It can give certain enemies pause as well, so long as Luger isn't actively fighting them: What piece of shit kills a doctor?
  • Medicine, Upbringing, Exercise: Some might assume that doctors are frail. Those people tend to think twice when decked by a man who carries a solid 40-50 pounds of stuff around every day, and who has the medical knowledge to know how to maintain a solid physique.
  • Oddities of the Trade: Fontaine has tried to save many from death before, and has failed before. Among his failures was a minor noble of another family, who nonetheless gave the good doctor a strange pocket amulet embedded with an equally strange gemstone, before succumbing to a rather virulent case of the measles. It supposedly possesses the ability to determine if magic is at play, but Luger has no idea how to use it, or if it's just a con job.
Weaknesses
  • Oh My [Deity], It's Sacrilege!: Luger has seen much death and little sign of anyone caring about it upstairs, so unsurprisingly, when faced with hordes of sickly people praying for salvation, the good doctor has often failed to pay any heed or respect to it. This can upset the more religious kinds of people, whether they believe in nature, or a god.
  • Plague Doctor: He carries his mask out for everyone to see what he is. Death's wolves often nip at the heels of such men, no matter how well intended they may be, and most people--commoner or nobility--tend to be aware of this fact. Fear can help prevent people from wanting to engage you in a fight, but it can also help prevent people from wanting to help you at all.
  • Nobody Would Shoot A Doctor?: He has a sword and no shield, and no real defensive armour either. Arrows, crossbow bolts, throwing weapons, bullets--you name it, and his only defense against such things is finding an object to hide behind.
  • Wealth Has A Leash: His family has wealth, and if they back a particular side in the conflict, it will be noticed. If it goes against his particular interests to be on their side, it will create a serious conflict of interest and potentially hurt the reputation of both his family and himself.

Last edited:
I added two characters to the NPC segment of the character list. We're not necessarily married to starting alongside them, but I'll be sure to mention if anything written in the booklet changes before we go live. As it stands I think it's a dichotomy of example characters. Also I got the chance to put our advert up earlier so fingers crossed.

@Brovo

I like where it's going so far. Not being able to see the history yet fills me with wild speculation, especially regarding the Fontaines. I think we've got a great group dynamic forming, between the medic upholding order and the archer promising to burn Lachne to the ground.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is bringing firearms into the thread. If they come into this at all, it probably shouldn't be at the beginning. To treat them in the same oddities and rarities category as magic I always feel they're better served as something to encounter.

Last edited:
@Epsir changed sheet, removed gun and replaced with something else that is left entirely to your discretion if, and when, it works.

If you'd like, I can also give him an apprentice and play two PC's. If not, I will probably give him a cat or something. Poor, lonely bastard.

@Brovo

Okie dokie. You have my gratitude for volunteering to carry the spooky detector. Luger is already on the character list, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the potential for involvement in a party as neutral as a doctor.

As far as his apprentice, I like that idea for the flexibility it gives you as a player and the additional dynamic it adds to either character. Duos are always fun to me because they bring something to the initial relationship chart that isn't (usually) a blank slate.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
"The Broken Bird."

Name: Emily Alice Silverman.

Appearance: 5'6" and 135 lbs. A little on the slimmer side, and likes it that way, though she has hints of muscle in her arms and legs, where it counts. Her long, brown hair, is kept tied back in a ponytail. Her skin remains fairly unblemished, though the occasional hint of sun burn can be found on the back of her neck, from long hours spent hunting. She does actively care for her own appearance and goes out of her way to try and accentuate her looks, so long as it doesn't interfere with the practicality of her equipment. If she wore a dress, one might even describe her as palatable enough to be worth adding to one's household without a dowry.

Clothing:
nv.jpg

(Source.)

Her breast plate is the only piece of metallic armour she has. Aside from that, everything else is either leather padding, or simple green-dyed clothing. She has a plague doctor's outfit as well, kept stuffed in a bag much like that of her mentor.

Weapons:
  • A long bow, with a quiver full of arrows to match. This is her main weapon of choice, every time, without fail, as it has high penetrating power, so long as she is firing in close range.
  • A pair of daggers are at her waist, which are more utilitarian than useful for combat, but could nonetheless be used in a pinch to gut someone like a fish.
  • A bag at her waist which is full of caltrops. Because nobody rational will chase you down an alley filled with small spiked balls of foot fucking.

Belongings:
  • A pack of mystic's cards. They don't have any provable magical value, but they supposedly allow her to "discern" the future in vague and often unreliable ways.
  • A quiver with several arrows in it. Because animals don't hunt themselves. Neither do people.
  • A bag slung at her side, much like Lugar's own, but only containing the plague doctor outfit, making it much lighter.
  • A green ribbon made for tying one's hair back, kept in a box. It's a close memento for her.
  • A diary, where she keeps a great deal of personal information. It appears well used, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that she may need to buy a second one soon.

Personality: Emily has a similar sort of compassion as Luger does for wanting to help others, but that's where the similarities generally end. Where Luger is reserved, Emily is expressive. Where Luger is cautious, Emily is adventurous. Where Luger would analyze a situation, Emily is already throwing herself into it, trying to decipher it and figure out the happiest possible conclusion. She's naturally talkative and outgoing, and likes to find the best elements of any person. The two complement each other as foils, though Emily will likely work well with pretty much anyone save murderous baby eaters.

History: Emily was born to a simple family in a village within the Myriad West. She grew up learning how to hunt, how to read, and how to avoid being manipulated by wandering salesmen. Yet, something about this life lacked a certain element of satisfaction. She craved far more than her home and family could ever give her, and by the age of fourteen, she had already left her family as a wild and untameable spirit. Of course, didn't travel alone: She took to a group of adventurers, who wandered the land hoping to enrich themselves with tales aplenty.

That's what they said, anyway.

Turns out, petty cutthroats are shitty adventurers.

Emily doesn't speak much of what she was forced to do in order to survive during those times. Her deep desire to explore the world, her adventurous spirit, was not in any way hampered, but perhaps her soul was. Two years she traveled with these unsavory people before the law eventually caught up to them, and she took flight before she could be caught. She at this point had wandered all the way to the Kingdom of Lachne with these cutthroats, and she found herself a new home working for a small trade caravan. She worked for them for another couple of years, only to watch them die to a plague. That same plague would have taken her to whatever hell awaited her for all that she had done, only for a plague doctor to bring her back from the edge.

Luger had saved her life.

She vowed to serve him: To repay him, and in secret, to try and find salvation from some of the things she had done before the caravan. The two have traveled together since that point, occasionally separating from one another for a few weeks only to be reunited elsewhere, with her often serving as his bodyguard. Half a year ago, she finally took up the quest of becoming a plague doctor herself, and reunited with Luger. Though instead of being his bodyguard, she would be his apprentice.

As for the greater conflict surrounding Lachne, she had heard of Oswald's atrocities: Murdering over 200 people for protesting his rule? To her small town eyes, such a travesty was nightmarish. Though Luger may be calculating and weighing the political consequences of each side, to her, it's quite simple.

Oswald should pay for what he's done.

Even if she has to be the one to plant the arrow between his eyes herself.

Strengths
  • Ain't No City Girl: Emily grew up most of her life wandering, sometimes with less than wonderful people. She knows all about death and conmen, and can easily handle large amounts of stress or hard labour to get the job done.
  • Predatory: It doesn't hurt to spend most of your life honing your survival instincts. She's a damn good shot with her bow if she has time to properly line up her target, and she has an uncanny knack for feeling if something is off with places. (Ex: She might feel unsettled due to a nearby ambush, but not know any details as to what it might be. This can give her false positives too.)
  • Self-Sufficient: Cooking, cleaning, reading maps or compasses, sewing damaged clothes back together, forging small items (ex: arrows, fur pelts), these are all within her domain. They've also aided with her learning the trade of medicine as well, though she's nowhere near as skilled as Luger.
  • Group Loyalty: Whoever she grows to like, she'll grow to be protective and loyal toward, and it doesn't take long for her to make new friendships. Before any politics, she will believe in those around her, so no amount of bribery will convince her to betray her allies. This also means that she's a natural mediator if her group starts to fight among themselves: She does not want to lose the safety of her group.
  • Pretty: She's remarkably pretty, a gift from God when you're trying to convince someone of your views.
Weaknesses
  • Ain't No City Girl: Many social graces are simply beyond this woman's ability to give a shit over. Like paying for certain commodities before you use them, and not calling a nobleman's wig "some poofy tosser's overly expensive fur hat."
  • Murderer: Her hands are stained and she still feels regret over it. Further adding to the body count will hurt her further, potentially to the point that she'll emotionally break down, unless she has appropriate emotional support.
  • Looks Cost You: She likes being pretty, she likes being admired, and in a world where women are feminine and men are masculine, that means she's not the strongest person on the battlefield. With a bow and her arrows she can do remarkable things, but don't ask her to hold her ground in a melee confrontation: She will lose to most men.
  • Superstitious: Those speaking on behalf of deities, or magic of any kind, will easily spook and confuse Emily. She's not pessimistic and educated like Luger is, she won't hold her ground in the face of what she perceives to the wrath of a god, or a pernicious spirit.
  • Tutelage: She is learning how to be a plague doctor. Emphasis on the word "learning," for she has only really just begun her journey. If her mentor is missing, she will lack confidence in her medical skill, and may even fail tasks as simple as binding a wound properly.

Last edited:
Accepted. This is always such a fun part, noting what each character adds to the others. I like this group, however long it's whole. Having two archers in the thread is nice too, because now that I think about it there weren't really any in the NPC pool.

@Epsir

I'm thinking of making something here, the last two bios were of interest to me, but I had two questions.

One, are we meant more to be on the Rebel side? I was thinking of making a guy that could fall on either side depending on how I wrote him.

In terms of aesthetics I found a image I would like to use, but he has ealf ears, if something like that isn't allowed I can easily just make a note to ignore it, or play it off as a defect. Do you have a preference?

@RedArmyShogun

First: Nope. I'm prepared to run with either, both, or none. Supporters of either cause are anticipating or even looking for a fight. 'The two camps, split even further among themselves by degrees of extremity' and all that. That kind of character is a great fit for the thread, because even people on the same side aren't getting along perfectly.

Second: We're definitely not an elf kind of fantasy. I don't have a preference but if we're talking the really flagrant foot long elf ears I, personally, would just go with ignoring them. On the other hand I can buy that someone has pointy ears and feel bad about what that childhood was like.

I see that works on both counts might attempt playing with the image I plan to use.

I'm interested and stuff; I'll have a character sheet up either tonight or tomorrow.

I'm interested and stuff; I'll have a character sheet up either tonight or tomorrow.
I see you heard my call for aid for this roleplay.

Gondor called for aid, and it was heard. :ferret:

@Snakey

I'm happy you decided to give us a shot, Snakey. Take your time, with any luck we might pick up some more people and at any rate we will certainly be in a position to start with these new additions.

@Limeypanda

For what it's worth, I'm glad you heard his call too. Welcome to the thread. I look forward to seeing both of these new characters.

Last edited:

Name: Mikalash Lorence II, of Casivi

Appearance: (Credit goes to: Grafit-Art) Makalash is a handsome enough man, with short dark hair and thoughtful brown eyes. He stands at a flat six feet tall, and weighs in at just under Two-hundred pounds. The man seems to have a number of lines on his face, especially on his forehead and around his eyes, probably from a few too many years of stress. He also has a few scars on his face, although they are a fairly common sort, considering his lines of work in the past.

Clothing: Mikalash has a strange fashion about him; a mix of form and finery that doesn't quite mesh together perfectly. In combat, he wears a well-made and well-tailored chain hauberk under a tattered and messy coat of arms with his family's once-honoured crest. He also possesses a set of battered and scratched, yet otherwise fine, set of steel half-plate. Outside of the battlefield, he seems to favour simple leathers and comfortable cloth; all of a decent quality.

Weapons: Mikalash mostly makes use of a hand-and-a-half sword, and a shield; having trained to proficiency with the weapon from a young age. While he says he's trained to use most conventional weapons, he rarely carries much more than a couple of daggers as sidearms. The sword is a hefty piece of metal; strong enough and hefty enough to break a man's arm if he blocks it wrong. He seems to eschew bows for some reason.

Belongings: Mikalash has brought a scarce amount of belongings with him to Edeur. He's mostly taken note to bring the necessities of war, as well as a small pouch of gold and a backpack full of other personal goods: Dried meats; alcohol; a number of rolls of blank parchment; a quill with ink; and a pipe, with enough tabaco to keep two men pacified for a while.

Personality: Mikalash is a likable man with a certain focus on being honest, yet well-humoured. It would be easy for the man to be a miserable coot, but instead he prefers to focus on a sort of pragmatic optimism. He might want to see the best in people, and sometimes he might ignore someone's misdeeds in favour of that better image, but he's more-than-aware that people are capable of proving him wrong, and disappointing him. Truth be told, Mikalash doesn't really ask much of a person to consider them friend. All he demands is a decent sense of honour, and a decent sense of fair play. He hates the vultures of the land, who would pick at the weak and the downtrodden, and he hates the cruel, who would abuse those below them for sport, or for profit.

History: Mikalash's family were knighted two generations ago, when his most famous progenitor, Mikalash Lorence I, was knighted by the then-king for his heroics during an attack on the city of Casivi by bandits. The Lorence family then rested on its military-laurels for a generation, as Mikalash's father worked as a merchant and a land owner in order to earn the family great wealth.

Mikalash, unlike his father, wished to follow in his late-grandfather's footsteps. From a young age, he was interested in the military arts, whereas his brother was more interested in the mercantile arts. His father set about calling in favours to have his son squired off to noteworthy knights of the realm, as few and far between as they were. Makalash's eagerness was not curtailed easily however, and he soon found himself matching his supposed betters, even beating them from time-to-time.

At the age of Fifteen, Mikalash was offered a position in the military of Casivi. His family name ensured he was given a position of status, and a few soldiers to command and lead. His duties mostly revolved around the keeping of the city, and the surrounding farmlands. Unlike most of noble birth, Mikalash took a very active role in the day-to-day work of his post. He put his feet on the ground, and he helped to train his men when required. In this role, he was comfortable.

For a great many years, Mikalash continued to serve with duty, honour, and distinction. He was almost universally liked due to his fair and just outlook, as well as his general generosity. This was especially true amongst the peasantry, who saw him as a guardian who would just as likely finish the day in a tavern with them, than by retreating to his family estate, which he became the full owner of at the age of twenty-seven, when his father passed away.

Things remained in a comfortable stasis for Mikalash until the ascension of the young king Oswald. Mikalash and his brother, Mercutio, were hit hard by the withdrawal of so many aristocrats from the city. Mercutio advocated the idea of joining the mass-exodus, but Mikalash had refused to relent to his brother's musings, seeing them as unpatriotic. He would come to realise his mistake only when his brother's name was on the list of two-hundred to be executed. Mikalash was outraged by the injustice of it all, and found himself hungering for blood. He foreswore his vow to the monarchy of King Oswald, and left to meet the reformists at Edeur, fully aware that it was almost certainly revolution that would follow.

Strengths:

Well-Trained and Well-Armed: Mikalash's training in the martial is well documented and extensive. Trained in most of the more 'noble' arms, Mikalash has a talent for swordplay that exceeds the common man by leaps and bounds.

Tactical Mind: Mikalash's weapons extend beyond the sword and the cudgel. As a noble and a life-long military man, Mikalash has a fairly deep understanding of military theory and tactics. While he'd never jump at the idea of playing the tactician, he wouldn't be incapable of it.

Leader of Men: Mikalash exudes a natural charisma that comes from well-founded self-confidence. Mikalash knows how to inspire the most out of any who follow him, and his word is more readily heeded by his peers because of this charisma.

Ex-Noble of Casivi: While he no longer holds the benefits of any official nobility, Mikalash is known to be of a once-noble line. He has access to certain resources and riches, hidden away in properties and cubbies outside of his family's original, and most-likely ceased, estate. While he can't access these resources at the click of a finger, given a week or so, you'd be surprised at what he might be able to rummage up.

Weaknesses:

Inflexible: Mikalash is not willing to compromise on a number of factors, thanks to his iron will and steadfast set of morals. If someone tries to force him to commit an act too heinous, or a deed too dark, then it would meet with a firm 'no.' If the Reformists should prove to be monsters even worse than the king they seek to depose, Mikalash might be force to leave their side and seek allies elsewhere.

Conspicuous and Well Known: A number the Casivi royalists will be able to recognise Mikalash and his crest very quickly if he is spotted on the battlefield, or off of it. This makes any mission dependent on stealth or subterfuge a difficult one for Mikalash, as he might be recognised at the most inopportune of times.

Aging: While he would never openly admit it, Mikalash is starting to feel the earliest signs of aging creep up on him. While nothing cripples him, or makes him completely redundant; he starts to feel the impending doom of exhaustion creep into his limbs much quicker than his Youngers. A long march, or an extended battle, might drive Mikalash past his peak, and into dangerous declines.

Short-Sighted: A long-kept secret, Mikalash actually suffers from a very literal short-sightedness, or myopia. While this rarely affects him in a day-to-day sense, Mikalash is unable to perform scouting duties because of this, and he is all but useless with a bow.

Accepted. I've got him added to the character list, and overall I really like the play between his strengths and weaknesses. Reserves of capital are definitely convenient to have at a time like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.