Around the world in 80 pages

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Genevieve thought about it, there was no way Darlene would say no to her brother borrowing some money. After all it wasn't like he wasn't good for it and it beat wasting their time converting the currency. Once he took her hand, Genevieve seemed to settle down in her chair, smiling at him before taking a sip of tea. The idea of taking a quiet stroll around some of the side streets looking for a tea set seemed ideal to Genevieve. It would be a nice way to spend the afternoon. Better then standing outside for more pictures.

"We still have a lot of places to go to," Darlene said, snapping Genevieve out of the daydream that was starting to form. The blonde assistant gave her boss a frown and didn't try to hide it. "You know we're on a tight schedual."

"So you didn't even leave time for a small amount of souvenir shopping. Even with cutting time down?" Not that Genevieve was going to elaborate on that, Darlene knew what she meant. "Besides your photos are going to be rain splattered outside." Genevieve would have said more but Darlene was glaring at her. Maybe it was too much to hope for.

Mathew was looking between the two girls and wondering if this was an argument. Tempers were short all around and even he was feeling snappy. "Which fits your fictional couple better; going around to all the landmarks or exploring the back lanes searching for things for their life together?" he asked Darline who gave him a 'don't you start' look and snapped her purse shut with an audible sound. "We're going, now I think we can still make it to take a few pictures outside of the palace before it gets too late, then we'll see about shopping around."

It was clear she wasn't going to move of this point and Mathew sighed finishing his tea "I think thats fine... wouldn't want to have to carry it around all the time anyway.

With a bit of a sigh Genevieve took one last drink of her tea, a gulp more then a sip, before standing. She still had not warmed up completely from the earlier photo shoot and she wasn't looking forward to more in the rain, but at least Mathew had gotten her to budge. After the palace they would get to go shopping for the tea set. Genevieve was looking forward to that.

It took nearly ten minutes to hail a cab. The weather was likely the cause of the problem. Not that the drivers didn't see them but that they already had passengers. When they finally got not the cab, Genevieve leaned against Mathew. Unfortunately he wasn't any dryer then she and it didn't seem to help warm her up much being next to him. She was also no longer concerned with watching the scenery as they drove past. She was mentally done with the day.

Buckingham Palace was of course impressive. It was built and expanded to be so of course. As they got out of the cab, Genevieve did take a moment to take in what she could, despite the rain. Then she shivered, but Darlene started giving them orders at the same time so she ignored it and looked over at the author.

He didn't know his it helped but on the ride to the palace Mathew had his arms around Genevieve. He could feel her shivering slightly and was worried, even though he was in exactly the same boat. Though the palace, even in the rain was beautiful and as they got out he kept an arm around Gen. Maybe it was always raining the the British built it to look good in the rain, it would certainly make sense.

There was a soft click behind them but Mathew didn't even care anymore. He was cold and unhappy and wet and was tempted to say screw getting a tea set today he just wanted a hot shower and to be able to hold onto Gen as they kept each other warm. "Soup with dinner I think." he said softly once again taking off his soaked glasses and then unable to see the palace at all. "And buying an umbrella seems like a good idea too."

"An umbrella would be wonderful," Genevieve agreed as she looked away from the palace and over at Mathew. A second shiver went all over her body and Genevieve moved uncomfortably because of it. "Sorry," she said with an appologetic grin. She didn't want him to think she was trying to shrug him off after all.

They had to turn around for a few more photos but even Darlene seemed to be getting tired of the rain after a while. Genevieve certainly hoped she was regretting not having an umbrella herself. Genevieve was angry at Darlene for forgetting such an important detail. It was England, it was known for its rain! Then her more sensible side reminded her that neither her nor Mathew had thought to mention it. The less generous side though kept in mind that Darlene was the one that made all the plans. So in the end Genevieve was irritated with her boss.

Darline was calling them back to the cab and asking the cab driver about areas where you could brows for tea sets and other brikerbrack. Mathew wasn't listenign though, he was caught between leaning forwards to not get the seat wet and leaning back to close his eyes. He was also trying not to fuss over Genevieve. It was a miserable cab ride any way you looked at it and then they were being dropped off at a narrow street with most of the shops closed due to the rain and being left to their own devices... Still, Mathew led the way in to the closest one that was open, shelter!

It was small and cramped and filled with all sorts of odds and ends but it was dry and warm and better than outside. Mathew was shivering and didn't even have anything to dry his glasses off on so was half blind as he looked around. "Hot shower sounds good right now..."

Exhausted, wet and irritable. It was enough to make anyone feel mildly miserable, so it wasn't any big surprise that Genevieve spent half the car trip with her face in her hands. She was almost glad to be out of the cab, except it was still raining. Wordlessly she followed Mathew into the shop he chose. She was thankful to be inside and not moving. For some reason, the motion of the cab had made her feel worse.

"You might have to fight me at this point," she said softly back to Mathew, noticing Darlene had already gotten distracted by something. She couldn't help but give Mathew a mischievous grin. Then she gave a full body shiver and any particular half formed thoughts were forgotten. Rubbing her arms she glanced around. A tea set for Mathew. She glanced over at him and wondered what sort he would prefer. There were some designed she noticed that she didn't mind. "See anything you like?"

"I... can't really see anything." he said holding up his wet glasses and drying them off as best he could before putting them on and blinking as he looked around and walked over to a light blue set, plain and simplistic and picked up the pot and looked at it before putting it before putting it down. "I like the color but it looks like something I could have picked up at home..." He looked at her and leaned close. "On the subject of fighting though, I'd say we either share or I be the gentleman and let you to first, probably the second one."

He walked along the shelves and passed several teapots with different motifs and reached the end and looked back along the crowded shelves.... "What about you? Anything catch your eye? Since we're probably going to use it at some point in the trip.."

Genevieve found herself smiling, but wasn't going to let on which of his choices she thought he should choose. Yet it really wasn't the time or place for such thoughts and so she looked back at the shelves. Tea pots, tea cups, many different sets. "Our own private tea party at some point? That might be fun."

Walking slowly down the aisle she paused and picked up one. It reminded her of something she saw once in a magazine. It was of blues and greens with integrate designs on it. "What do you think of this one Mathew?" she asked holding it for him to look at. It was by far the best one she had seen her in her own opinion.

He stepped up to her and placing his hands around hers around the teapot listed it up to looks at it and then lifted the lid to look inside. "I like it.." he said smiling over it at her and replacing the lid. He looked at the price tag tied around the handle and bit his lip wondering how much it would be in dollars. "Alright, we'll try it out before too long.." he promised her.

He called over the shop clerk and asked him to parcel up a for him and then looked over at Darline who was hovering near the fancy plates and second hand books. "Just the two of us with tea.. and whatever snack food we feel like."

"I look forward to it," Genevieve grinned as they walked up to the counter. Soon after the clerk had the tea set wrapped up, and they had to have Darlene come over to pay for it. The author was surprised that Mathew had picked out what he wanted so quickly and was a little disappointed they didn't let her see it before it got wrapped up. The pouting might have been a bit over done, but Darlene wasn't having the best day either.

"I was going to have us have dinner at this fancy place on the other side of the river, but we can do that tomorrow and have dinner tonight at the restaurant down the street from our hotel." Darlene told them as they waited to hail a cab. Genevieve was surprised, but very happy to hear the news. Partly because if they were going somewhere fancy she really wanted to change out of these soggy cloths. This way she wouldn't be as self conscious.

Mathew was relieved too and even back in the rain with his glasses getting wet and holding Gen's hand as much for guidance as the simple pleasure of it he smiled. Though Gen was close enough for him to see her shivering slightly and he squeezed her hand as he looked at her letting her know he was there and sympathetic.

Though piling into the taxi and heading back in the direction of the hotel with the sky dark and gloomy he wondered if they would get any good pictures at all with them wet and miserable. "I think its soup weather.." he said "Maybe garlic break on the side and something hot to drink.."

Genevieve was almost unaware of holding Mathew's hand, as it was a comfort that seemed to be keeping her going. Once they arrived at the restaurant and were seated though, she noticed the absence. As they waited for their menus and then their drinks, all Genevieve could really think about was being warm again, and how she wished her eyes were not burning.

At one point Darlene asked her a question and she looked over at her boss in confussion. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I was asking you if you want your own umbrella, though personally I think it's better to get an oversized one and have you share. On second thought we will just do that," Darlene kept talking but Genevieve just looked at her drink.

Mathew even with not tea in his hand was looking at Genevieve his other hand coming to rest on her leg as he offered her a smile and a asking her if she was alright in a low whisper. She didn't look it and he was concerned. Poring her a mug of tea if she wanted it or not he offered replies to Darline's small talk until the food arrived and most on the conversation died away but every now and then Mathew would look at Gen and brush his fingers against her arm or force a piece of garlic bread on her. He didn't even take note of the food was good or not and missed Darline asking him if he wanted somehting more to drink several times, but he had other concerns... It was obvious the rain had given Gen something worse than just the sniffles.

By the time dinner was over Genevieve was feeling warm, very warm in fact. She drank down her glass of water, twice. Darlene talked about what they were doing the next day as they waited for the check and once it was taken care of Genevieve had to pause once she stood. "Must have got up too quickly'" she muttered softly before she felt Mathew's hand on her arm. She looked at him and gave him a weak smile.

There was no point in getting a cab, they were only a block from their hotel and so they walked. The rain actually felt good in Genevieve's face though being inside was nice, it meant she would be able to finally change out of her cloths. As they rode the elevator she unbuttoned two to buttons on her shirt, glad it was only the three of them in the elevator. As Darlene turned to go to her own room Gnevieve gave a small wave with a weak "Good night."

Turning to look back at Mathew the world spun fast for a moment and she fell into his chest. "Sorry," she said as she tried to push herself of him.

He held her hand the entire way right up until she fell against him and tried to push away. Shaking his head he bent down to hook his arm behind her legs and the other across her back to lift her bridal style and head down the corridor. "Much easier.." he said looking at her as he turned the corner into their corridor carefully avoiding hitting her on the wall and smiling at her. He offered no explanation or anything other then his smile. "I think you have the key." he said stopping outside the door but not letting her down. "I'd open the door but my arms are full.." though he was worried, what if she fell over in the shower.. then might end up sharing anyway.

"Mathew?" Genevieve was obviously surprised when he lifted her up, though she made no protest or attempted to get out of his arms. It would have been too much effort. Besides, she didn't want to argue with that smile. Instead she leaned her head on his shoulder until they reached their room.

"Key? Right." Opening her purse, Genevieve pulled out their room key and with only a bit of fumbling they were inside. She might have been more embarrassed had anyone seen them in the hall, but it had just been the two of them and instead it was just nice knowing he cared. "Thank you," she said when he finally sat her down.

He sat her down on the chair to avoid getting the bed damn and was grabbing a towel for each of them handing her one and taking off his glasses to wipe off his face. "Do you need help showering?" he volunteered "My clothes are soaked anyway so that won't be a problem.. or should i jast wait outside so you can call me if you need help.." he was fussing it was true but she did just almost collapse. The though of her in the shower did have his face red however and as he replaced his glasses he was regretting the suggestion. Still someone had to look after her and he was the one here and he disliked the idea od running to Darline every time there was a problem.

Genevieve peeked out from the towel she had over her head and looked at Mathew with an odd expression, then realization dawned on her about what he was truly asking, which was nothing like what she was thinking and being confused by some of his reasoning. "Oh... Would, would it be too much a bother for a bath instead? I know you wanted a shower too, but I'm not feeling really up for being quick. You can even go first... I don't mind."

She didn't mind, but she was cold and hot and wanted in dry clothing and to curl up in bed. She felt dreadfully and weak, but she still hoped that a warm bath and a good nights sleep was all she needed. "I don't want to be a bother." At least he was being kind and not telling Darlene. It seemed they had a pact when it came to his sister. Genevieve under normal circumstances wouldn't be trying to tip toe around her boss and friend, but the author was somewhat obsessed with how to run this trip.

He nodded and after grabbing spare clothes headed into the bathroom. He would be quick even if the warm water was wonderful. rinsing out his hand, washing himself down.. spending a minute or two enjoying the warmth before me was stepping out and drying himself off and getting dressed. Then he put the water on for gen's bath and and with his hair messy and glasses finally clean and dry stepped back into the hotel room. "Are you in the mood for a mug of tea in bed before sleep?" he asked "If you give me warning before you get out I'll make sure its here when you get out. Then we can chat and drink tea before nodding off."