Around the world in 80 pages

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Genevieve had found one of the large robes in the closet and had taken off her wet cloths to put it on, it was warm and dry and much better then waiting in her wet garments. She was curled up on the edge of the bed waiting, a book in hand, but she hadn't read it. "That sounds lovely Mathew. Thank you," she said with a smile as she got up and headed into the bathroom.

As she put a toe in the water she smiled to herself it felt warm and delightful. Disrobing she soon sunk into the warm bath water. Tired, knotted muscles warmed and relaxed and Genevieve closed her eyes, feeling completely at peace. It would have been the perfect bat if she hadn't nodded off, her head resting on the edge of the tub.

He waited watching the clock, after three quarters of an hour he knocked on the door and asked how she was doing. There was no answer. Concerned he cracked the door and knocked again before peeking in and say her head resting against the side of the tub and her eyes closed. Shielding his eyes with his hand he edged closer and when he reached the tub he turned his head away and giving himself juuust enough of a view to put his hand on her shoulder to gently shake her as he averted his gaze again.

He was trying to he as considerate as he could but still wake her up. He'd have her towel over his head if she didn't need it and that would have been ridiculous.

"Hmm," Genevieve felt someone shaking her. It was Mathew, how odd. "I was having such a nice..." and they were in the bathroom, the bath water only luke warm by now. "Oh! Oh dear, I feel asleep didn't I?"

Genevieve looked at Mathew in embarrassment, but she hadn't even realized just how awkward the situation was yet. As she lifted her hand she looked at the water, and her body underneath. She felt as though things couldn't get any weirder and was mortified. Mathew must have felt awkward, he must have thought she was unable to take care of herself, he must have been regretting this trip, and other such thoughts of low self worth filtered through her mind. "I... I'm awake now... You can.... I'll be right out...."

Leaving... right.. "You did, but its okay. You just need your rest." he stood and headed for the door and without looking in her direction before he stopped. "Do you still want tea?" he was a relevant question but also a reason to linger in the room and make sure she was alright. "Also should I see if they have any medication that might help?" he half turned still keeping his eyes averted. "Also if you need an arm or two so you don't slip I'm here..."

Doting on her, maybe but she wasn't feeling great and he wanted to change that, needed to because if she got sick and Darline found out... that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

"Tea? Please?" Genevieve was somewhat relieved when he asked the question, having been unsure if he would still want to. She hadn't meant to have the relief in her voice when she had answered him. While she didn't like thinking she was horribly sick, she tried to be reasonable. "I, I suppose if they have some medicine that would be good. I'm hoping I'll be fine in the morning."

Mathew's last question embarrassed her. She understood why he asked, and if he was offering he wasn't going to be upset, but she still felt uneasy, after all she was wet, naked and as weak as a kitten. With a sigh she tripped the stopper in the tub so that it would start to drain. "Maybe you can hand me the towel?" It was an indirect yes, but it was the best she could do.

He grabbed the towel and held it out to her hanging around in case she needed anything else. Even though he wasn't looking directly at her there was concern written on his face as he also offered her his hand and made sure he had a secure footing on the tiles. "We'll get you under the covers then I'll order the tea, I'll give you a gentle shake if you doze off again." he smiled at the wall and waited for her to dry the thought of leaving not even occurring to him.

It was an odd dynamic they were developing, mutual assurance and support while both trying to keep it under Darline's radar. Which might be what Darline wanted, then to grow closer.

"I'm looking forward to the tea," she said, glad he promised to wake her if she took another impromptu nap. It was partly the desire for the tea itself, and partly because she wanted to spend a little time with Mathew if she could.

Genevieve took it slow, out of nessesity. She was well aware that Mathew wanted to make sure she didn't have any dizzy spells and she wanted to as well, being carried once today was enough if she could help it. Once she was wrapped up in the big robe again she smiled at Mathew. There wasn't much to say on her part as they left the bedroom and Genevieve got in bed, under the covers, though she piled ther pillows behind her so she could sit up. The blankets were warm and comfortable, what more could a girl want.

Once she was comfortable he picked up the phone and dialed room service ordering teas and a healthy dose of cold medicine before he koined her on the bed and smiled. Then leaned forwards and put a hand on her forehead. "I should have thought to drink an umbrella." he said. "Next time I promise I'll have one." did he mean next excursion out of the hotel, next city, or next time they went traveling together? It was unclear... though.. "Hmmm.." now he was thinking about traveling without Darline.

"I think sometime on this trip we should try to get time to explore somewhere just the two of us. That would be nice."

Genevieve's eyes rolled up as Mathew put his hand on her forehead, watching, until he started to speak, then her gaze turned to him. "Just the two of us?" Genevieve smiled then closed her eyes. "In Paris, there's a bridge that crosses the Seine. I can't remember the French name, but the translation is New Bridge, though now its the oldest one that crosses the river. And there's an island in the middle..." Genevieve wasn't exactly sure where she was going with this. There was more impressive spots in Paris, the Effiel Tower, the Louvre, but those were places Darlene was sure to take them. The river though, Genevieve always thought that would be something to see.

Opening her eyes she smiled at Mathew. "Darlene would rush and take pictures and all sorts of unnessisary things, but it's not popular or well known or typically... um ... well romantic...." And yet, wasn't that exactly what it was for her?

"Sounds like a great midnight stroll." he said smiling at her. "I hope it doesn't rain like it does here, I know the weather in England is meant to be bad but at this rate we'll be spending more time in bed than on the street. Not that I'd complain we'd just be missing out on out first overseas city." he had to hold that thought as the tea arrived and he got up to get it along with the saucer of sliced lemon he had asked for. letting the tea brew he placed it on the bedside table and sat back down.

"I am glad we're getting along though I don't think this trip would work otherwise. Say what you like about Darline she writes a good romance. Not that we're her characters."

Genevieve smiled and nodded her agreement, she hoped the weather cleared up, because there was little chance they would get to do much in London and if Paris was the same... Genevieve tried not to thank about that but instead closed her eyes when Mathew left her side to go to the door. Her eyes burned and all she wanted was to stay in bed forever.

Once Mathew came back over she opened her eyes again. "No we're not, but I doubt she thinks we are. I suppose she knows us both well enough to know if this was going to have a chance of working out." Genevieve didn't want to believe Darlene had any plans for how well it was working out, but it was hard to believe. "Tea smells wonderful."

He smiled again and placed his hand on her knee. "Probably, though..." sharing a room was an experience that Darline surely knew would be wield at first no matter ho well they knew eachother. He pored two mugs of tea and squeezed lemon into one of the mugs and handed it to Genevieve. "AT least we're here for each other when we need it."

He sipped his own tea and a thoughtful expression crossed his face. "You know I've never though about going to Paris. Rome maybe. Berlin if it wasn't cut in half... I have to wonder where Darline wants to take us after Paris, maybe somewhere exotic.. though that generally means hot."

"You're right," she said smiling before sipping her tea. She really was glad that Mathew was there, and he was being so kind taking care of her right now. It was soothing being able to drink the tea, and nice not having to be in a hurry. Their nice warm quiet room without any interruptions. It almost made up for Darlene showing up before they had gotten out of bed, almost.

"She has been very secretive on where we are going. What would you like to see in Berlin?" She wanted to know what Mathew's interests were and knowing why he would want to travel somewhere definitely qualified. After taking a second sip of tea she found herself yawning. Not unexpected after the last few days and the fever, but no wanted in any case.

He gave her a mysterious smile. "I'll tell you all about it in the morning." he leaned forwards to gently kiss her forehead. She was burning up and he then started handing her tablets. "Have these with your tea and get some rest. You want to be able to keep up with Darline tomorrow don't you?" he moved to sit against the headboard and looked over at her. "I'll be here if you wake up in the night and when you wake up in the morning feeling better and ready to take on London."

He was still smiling when he placed his empty mug down and pulled the blanket over his legs. "Goodnight Gen."

"Right, got to keep up with Darlene," Genevieve was a good patient and took the tables and drank up the rest of her tea between bouts of yawning. Once the cup was empty she curled up under her blankets. "Good night Mathew, and thank you."

She should have slept through the night.

She didn't.

While early in the night she was cold, before midnight she was kicking her feet out of the covers, fever dreams taking root. As the feaver progressed she became chilled then hot again, muttering in her sleep and trying to take off all the blankets. It was durning this late night struggle with terrors in her dreams and being both cold and hot at the same time she woke with a start. Genevieve sat up, trying to catch her breath as though she had been running.

Mathew lifted his head that had fallen against his chest as he dozed and rubbed his eyes looking at her and fumbled with his glasses to check the clock on the wall. "You're awake..." he said slowly getting up and after a sleepy stumble he moved to the bathroom to get a towel to wipe the sweat from her face that made it shine in the dim light.

"How are you feeling?
he was sitting on his haunches next to the bed and dabbing her face with the towel.

Genevieve looked at Mathew with a weak smile. "My throat feels raw," she told him quietly. She did t care to explain that her whole body ached, but the thought of something to drink was very much on her mind. Absently she shook at her night shirt, trying to cool down once more. She felt like she was broiling and even still half asleep she knew it was her and not the room. At least the cool towel had been nice m

Turning slightly she noticed the clock and frowned. "I woke you. I'm sorry," had it been a few hours later she might have just been thankful for Mathew being up, but there was no way at a quarter after three that had been the case. "You're not going to be able to have fun if you don't get some sleep at least.

He waved her apology away. "I'm not going to have fun if you're sick either." he said taking a bottle from the bedside table and a teaspoon and handing it to her. "Cough syrup, take some while I see if room service will send up more tea." he picked up the phone and was a little surprised when someone answered. He ordered the tea and a little light food in the form of toast and then sat back down on the bed. "I've slept, a little. And I'm happy to be here for you."

He did look tired but concern was also showing. "I'll get more sleep when you do."

"Sickness and health," was muttered softly, brought on by the fever most likely. Genevieve took the cough syrup without further comment, though she made a face afterwards. The taste was obviously awful. She then sat back and watched Mathew as he finished ordering tea and then sat down beside her.

"I'm glad you're here, just wish you didn't have to lose sleep because of me." Genevieve then moved a little, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I don't think I'm going to feel better tomorrow. Darlene is going to be upset." Genevieve voice indicated she was disappointed, and it made sense, when was she likely going to get a chance to enjoy London again.

"Theres plenty of other cities right? Besides you know shes a big softie with a sift spot for you right? She'll be more concerned than I am." he doubted that but she needed a few distraction as possible while getting back to sleep. He only got up when the knock on the door came and even the reluctantly. He placed the tea on the bedside table and put the old pot and mugs on to the tray to be taken away. Then handed Gen a slice of toast freshly buttered and left the tea to brew as he sat down stifling a yawn.

"And of course I'm going to be here for you. I'm your pretend husband. And more than that, even if I were sick too I'd still be here for you."