Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amayan

Original poster
Would anyone be interested in a Touhou based roleplay? I wanted to do mostly original characters, but I may play some canon for plot purposes. I'm still trying to think of a time frame and incident. If anyone is interested and would like to help come up with something please feel free to chime in! If all goes well, I'll allow players to control one canon character and one OC.

If you're curious, and do not know about Touhou, it's a vertical scrolling danmaku (bullet hell) game based in the fantastical realm of Gensokyo that's inhabited by mostly youkai, spirits, magic users and some humans. The land of Gensokyo is supposedly like a pocket dimension connected to Earth that keeps all magic and mythical things from our eyes. The series has also had some fan games, a few fighters, manga and a few fan anime series.

I enjoy Touhou, but I have no clue how well this might work. Never know until you try, though. And some of the stuff like Forbidden Scrollery shows some interesting perspectives on how Gensokyo can work.

I could be interested. At what point in time do you want this to happen? Where? How many people? Will we have to make our own spell cards? What genre? Do you have plot ideas already?

Touhou roleplay has always been hit or Miss. At one time there was about one or two highly active forum's that just eventually died. I myself wanted to try running one, but nobody was ever interested, so I thought I'd try something smaller. I have not yet read Forbidden Scrollery, but I know of its contents.

As for plot and character creation, I would like people to come up with their own spell cards. Maybe not off the bat, but as we go along. I'm still working up a plot. So maybe start with something simple like, "The spring Hakurei festival is happening, but _____." I feel like it would be easier to come up with a plot if I had the jist of characters in mind.

I'm down to roleplay touhou, but what's the main genre? Slice-of-life, action, romance, or?

I'm down to roleplay touhou, but what's the main genre? Slice-of-life, action, romance, or?
Touhou is generally Fantasy and Mystery. Can sometimes verge onto SoL and Romance.

Put another way, the official works for Touhou are loose enough that we mostly have a setting and characters. Anything else depends very strongly on what we want to do with it. It's definitely fantasy, though. Gensokyo is an Eastern fantasy sort of setting, full to the brim with youkai, fairies, nature spirits, and all manner of other strange and magical things. By and large, everyone gets along well enough there, and there's no need for people to hunt youkai or vice-versa, most of the time. The Spellcard battle system also leans less on raw power and more on one's creativity and ability to make beautiful bullet patterns. It's largely there to put humans and youkai on much more equal footing.

I know the typical genre of Touhou, I was just wondering what type of genre you want to focus on for the roleplay. Do you want to focus on battles, slice-of-life, or do you want the realm of Touhou to engage with different elements?

I'd imagine an action-adventure run with a lot of personality and some riddle-ey bits would be the best way to do it.

I have a few concepts that would work well in this setting. Since you're looking for ideas for incidents, I'll throw some here. Lemme know if you wanna develop any of them further.

Travelers who know where they're going keep finding themselves in other places. Almost as though the locations of places just got shuffled around... but it's never the same for anyone. Something just keeps misdirecting people at the last minute. Maybe that strange tower that's always on the horizon has something to do with it...?

For some reason, all of the clocks stopped working one day... And the sun is just sitting still in the sky. Night won't seem to come, and any Lunarians that may be visiting are stranded away from home. What's more, it's been a few days, and the heat is becoming unbearable. Plants are starting to wither. If the day-night cycle doesn't continue, most life forms won't be able to survive.

A strange meteor shower rains overhead, seemingly harmless at first... until heavy meteorites start crashing into key locations across the land. At first this seems like a minor inconvenience, a few wrecked homes and businesses, among other things... But then they start hatching. And that bright star that just appeared up in the sky seems to be getting... bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.