Animalia

"I know we are all exhausted, so lets try to get some sleep. We will need to keep watch. I know Kendall can see well in the dark and I know I can't. Ruby, Caspian, how is your eyesight in this gloom?"

Kendall nodded Garrett's comment about her eyes. She scanned the surroundings again and smiled, happy she was at least helpful now, and she didn't feel tired at all. If they needed, she could keep watch as they slept.

"If you want, i can be night watch, for a while...."

"If anyone has a watch... we can do an hour or two at a time, so everyone gets some sleep. If no one has a watch we can guess at it. I feel safest having someone with good eyes, like Kendall, being up during the darkest part of the night. I don't think I should keep watch until it starts to get light out."

Caspian took the pages and skimmed through them until he found his own entry. He read it through quickly, then let out a quiet sigh. Well. As animals went, clouded leopards weren't really bad at all. Considering the circumstances, it was useful.

"I can see at night," he said, handing the papers back, minus his own. "I think my animal is nocturnal, or at least partially nocturnal. I'll help keep watch."

"What's your animal Caspian?" Garrett asked him with a hint of annoyance.

"I am a Rhino, which is why I know I can't see at night. We all know Kendall is an armadillo and I definitely know they are nocturnal." He winked at Kendall. "Ruby is Hawk, obviously, though I don't know much anything about birds and their ability to see at night. Maybe one of us has some knowledge of your animal." Garrett didn't necessarily trust this guy they had just found, but if he was really running from the dogs as well, and could see at night, he might be an asset. He didn't want Kendall up all night just because none of them could see in the dark but her.

Caspian gave him a small smile, his canines gleaming in the fading light. "Clouded leopard."

Garrett's eyes widened a little at hearing Caspian's animal. The guy didn't seem to fit the description of a clouded leopard but then again, who can fit the description of an armadillo? a bird? a rhino!?

"That is very cool man. Glad to have another night able body around. Kendall if you are up for going first I vote you first, then Caspian, Ruby third, and myself last. Anyone want a different order?" He asked everyone. He had never been the leader type before, helpful maybe but always a follower. He wasn't sure how to be a leader, so he told them what to do and then asked if it was OK. Hoping that was the right way to lead.

Kendall smiled at Garrett, approving of his reinforcement. Not only was he handsome and the leader type, but he was just as suspicious of the new guy as she was. She laughed when he mentioned the armadillos again, but a hint of sadness made her stop. Was she really part armadillo? She still couldn't get a grasp on it.

"It's good to have a predator on the team, i'll admit that. Could use a little tooth and nail and not as much...thick skin" She chuckled and pointed between Garrett and herself. "If you want to take the first shift Caspian, I'll take the second...that will be the darkest. Then it should be light enough for Garrett to take over, forget ruby..." She mouthed an apology in Rub's direction.

"Birds are as good as blind at night"

Ruby glared at her, even though she had apologized.

"Thanks a lot."

She muttered, folding her arms in annoyance.

"Sounds like a plan to me. Don't be sad little one." He said to Ruby. "You get to sleep the most." He smiled at her, hoping that would lighten her spirits. Garrett nearly crashed down into his "bed" and fell asleep within minutes.

Caspian nodded. Even with the senses of a night predator, it was difficult to get anything done at night. Besides, it still felt weird telling himself that he had leopard DNA-- it felt like he'd stepped into a comic book. "How good do you think your sight will be after moonset, Kendall?" he queried, looking up. Though the sun hadn't fully set yet, the moon was nearly halfway across the sky. "If you don't mind, I think I'd like to take second shift." He gave her a crooked smile, shrugging slightly. "Cats see really well at night, right? Even without moonlight, I think I should be able to see okay in the dark."

(OOC: Can Ruby have the ability to screech like a hawk too? That'd be cool!)

She narrowed her eyes, her entire body now covered with hawk feathers. It just didn't sit right with her that she would get to sleep more then others despite the fact she risked her life moments ago to create a fake trail to confuse the dogs. She closed her eyes, and listened, relying on her hearing at least.

Kendall laughed as Caspian. settling herself down sitting in the grass.

"Armadillos are strictly nocturnal, I think i'll be alright..." She smiled and layed her head down on her hands- she hadn't been camping in years.

"Cat's are better to fend off dogs while their still afoot"

"Suit yourself, then." He sat down near her, glancing at the trees around them. "Do you think I could be be able to climb a tree?" Caspian's voice was wistful as he stretched out his slender fingers. They were the hands of a musician or a scientist, not an athlete, and had always been-- he had never been one for sports. The more he thought about having been kidnapped and his genetic material toyed with, the more he thought it was a Rather Nice Thing. After all, he'd gotten all these new abilities.

(( Yes'm. :D ))

In the next second, Caspian's ears twitched, and he rose noiselessly to his feet, scanning the darkness in alarm. "Do you hear it?" he demanded in a low whisper, the fear in his eyes belying his tone. "There's something there." His pupils dilated even further and narrowed slightly, not quite the slit-eyes of the leopard in his blood, but not entirely human, either. "There's something there."

Ruby opened her eyes as soon as she heard him ask if they heard it. Even though she couldn't see as well at night as during the day, she could still hear.

"Yeah. I hear it." She whispered back, her body tense.

Nicole slowly opened her eye. She looked around at the cage she was trapped in. Her eyes adjusting and readjusting to the flickering lights. She was cold and alone. Suddenly a few men in lab coats burst through a door next to her cage. She curled up in a ball and shut her eyes tight. Who are these guys? What do they want with me? Where is my family? I want to go home. Nicole thought as she held herself tight listening to what the men in lab coats were saying.
"Break out in the East Wing, Section 8."
"Are you kidding me? How many escaped?"
"Who knows. Who cares."
"Shit. So what are we supposed to do?"
"How the hell should I know? They got the boss' daught gettin them right now."
"Shit. I'd be scared if I were those things."
"Well the important thing is we are only incharge of this little one. Looks like she hasnt woken up yet. Might be a dud."
Static came over one of the men's radios. "All personal. Report to the North Wing. Section 3. Repeat. All Personal. Report to North Wing. Section 3."
The men cursed as the ran out of the room, leaving the lights on and the door open. Nicole slowly relaxed as she opened her eyes.
Men in lab coats? Break outs? Well if other could do it so could she. Nicole felt her heart beating faster and faster as she flung herself against the bar. Fight or Flight was the only response she knew. No one to fight, gotta flight. Her eyes darted around the cage. As she pressed against the bars to try and see what could be useful, she heard a click, and the door to the cage swung open causing Nicole to fall on her face. She stood up holding her bloody nose. Nicole felt like the tin man who needed oil. She couldn't stand up properly and when she tried to walk, it was with a limp.
Being stuck in that cage, shit my body hurts. Gotta get the hell outta here.

Nicole limped as fast as she could across the room, jumped out the window, and scampered away from the building. She could feel this overwelming joy surge through her body. She was still weak and achy but she kept on going. She let go of her nose and when into a full sprint. She didnt get far before her entire body collapsed. The pain from the cage and whatever else happened to her, mixed with the pain of not being home with her family caused Nicole to shake.
I need to get home. I need to get back to my pack. Pack? No Parents. I need to get back to my parents.
The alarms were going off and she could hear dogs barking infornt of her. Nicole ran off, but to where, she had no idea.

Kendall found herself with night terrors. She was sweating and shivering in her sleep, calling out to her newly acquired 'family'.
She was still in a dead sleep, but found herself listening, much more alert than she would have been.

Garrett rolled over and grumbled in his sleep but didn't wake up. He's a deep sleeper.