Animalia

OOC: Would it be alright if Ruby was able to turn into a bird?

Ruby glanced back at Garrett and then saw the papers in his hands.

"I think we're all wondering the same thing."

Ruby said, panting as they ran.

"First we need to find somewhere to hide. I don't know what we were doing in those cages but I can tell you I never want to be in one again." Garrett was hardly out of breath, while it seemed like the girls were running low on their adrenaline. Without knowing how long any of them had slept or when the last time they had eaten he couldn't blame them. He was kind of surprised he was doing as well as he was. Not that he was in bad shape, he was pretty well built from working long hours on the oil rig, but he never knew he had this much stamina.

It seemed like the one who told him to shut up early on, Ruby, was having the hardest time of the bunch.

"Would you like a little help?" He asked, and without giving her a chance to reply he scooped her up under one arm and kept running.

"Let's move it you two, the sooner we are out of here the sooner we can rest and find out what we were doing in those cages."

'I hope.'

Kendall kept following him, watching as he tried to help Ruby. A smile spread across her face as she watched, not sure of what to think.
they passed some thick underbrush, thorns and dense plants making their travel rough and exhausting. Kendall could have sworn she was getting cut, but when she looked down, there were no cuts; surprising.
Suddenly, alarms started ringing from behind them, she jumped, frantically running ahead of Garrett and jumping over a fallen tree trunk.

"We need to find shelter, before they sick the dogs on us..."

"I...hey!" Ruby shouted in surprise as he suddenly picked her up. She saw the girl's smile at her and shot her a glare of embarssement. Having hollow bones like a bird's made it a bit harder to run. She looked back as alarms sounded, ducking under a tree branch.

When the alarms sounded Garrett started running faster agreeing with Kendall.

"When you're right, you're right, sweetie. Let's move it." Ruby seemed incredibly light and he was still hardly feeling winded at all. They ran through some tough brambles and he hoped he had kept the girl in his arms out of harms way but he couldn't be sure, and they didn't have time to stop. Ahead he saw what looked like a small mountain and headed towards it. He slowed to a jog so he could talk.

"I know you're all tired but we need to get up that mountain to find out where, and how far away from civilization we are. Does anyone else need a ride?" He asked with a goofy grin.

" are you freakin' serious?!" Kendall gasped. "You can't possibly expect us to climb a mountain in one night!" She tried to keep pace with him but she was falling behind.

"Can't we just find a cave or something?" She was winded, her breathing heavy and sporadic. She scanned the dense foliage for a path, a hollow, anything that could lead them to a temporary safety.

Ruby looked around her, trying to find a safe spot for them. Her eyes had become Hawk eyes and were much sharper so she could see further. When Garrett made the comment of anyone else needing a ride, she blushed. It was embarrising enough to be carried.

"There!"

She said suddenly, pointing ahead of them to the East. She could see a tall rock formation with a fallen tree in a small clearing that would fit all of them and would hide them front undwanted eyes. They would have to cross a stream though to get to it.

"I have no idea what you're pointing to but keep me going in the right direction till we get there little one." Garrett said to Ruby. Hoping beyond hope that once they got to wherever she wanted them to go it would suffice as a hiding place for at least the night so they could rest somewhat easily. He felt terrible for making these girls run as much as he had pushed them but he knew if they stopped they would be found soon enough. He was no tracker but he had watched his fair share of late night T.V. shows and knew the dogs would easily find them if they couldn't get rid of their scent. He looked for a stream or a river or any type of water that they could wade through to throw off any dogs, but so far, with Ruby correcting his direction every so often, he hadn't seen anything.

'Come ON!" He thought to himself. 'This is getting out of hand. First cages, now dogs chasing us? I don't know a single one of these girls but none of them look like they could have done anything so severe to have ended up in the same place as me after a bar fight. Well, maybe Ruby. Kendall looks tough but not rowdy or out of control.' He sighed.

"C'mon ladies! We'll make it. One last burst of adrenaline and then we'll be safe." He didn't know if he was lying to them or not but he didn't care. Someone had to keep all their hopes up and no one else had the breath to do it.

Kendall Kept running, her feet ached and her heart felt like it was going t jump out of her throat, but she kept running.

"Where are we going?" She questioned Ruby, not able to see anything that resembled a stream or a hiding spot.

"Are you on drugs or something?!"

Ruby rolled her eyes but otherwise ignored her.

"Just a bit more..."

She said, and soon they could hear a stream gurgiling ahead of them. Their hiding spot was just beyond that stream. She felt bad for the other two women running behind Garrett. She only hoped they would make it.

Kendall tripped on a stone and fell forward, her arm bracing her fall. What would have normally bust her skin open in a bloody mess had done nothing.

"What the..." She was breathless and confused. She scrambled up and caught up with Garrett, who was being let to the stream.

"Well, i'll be damned...sorry i doubted you Ruby"

"Fantastic!" He said as he put Ruby down.

"Everyone can take a breather, but before we move in to our humble abode we need to confuse the dogs. Wade into the stream, everyone get out all over the other side of the stream, walk into the forest a bit, away from our camp of course, then back in. Rinse, repeat." He giggled at the pun. He hoped none of them called him out on some error, since all his "tracking" skill was coming from movies and T.V. shows. Then again, if any of them knew any better that couldn't be a bad thing.

"Now that that's done, let's use the end of this daylight to grab as much firewood as we can. I know you're all tired, so we don't have to run around, but as quick as possible...." He trailed off, wondering if it would even be safe to make a fire in the middle of a forest with a bunch of dogs chasing them. Probably not, but he didn't want to bash any hopes they might have left after that run. He grabbed as much firewood as he could in his giant, muscular arms and when he returned to the camp noticed he had brought back as much, if not more, than the three girls combined. He giggled again.

Ruby listened and watched as she set her armfull of firewood down. She could hear the dogs sniffing out for them.

"I really don't think we should make a fire. The smell of the smoke would bring the dogs on us in no time flat."

She said, not really liking being the pessimest.

"Same thing I was thinkin' darlin'. Well, I'm going to grab as many pine needles and leaves as I can and make myself a bed. Would any of you lovely ladies care to join me?" He said with a wink and a smirk, as he walked towards the woods. Once he was out of earshot of the clearly annoyed women, he sighed.

'Just about time to pull out those papers and get some answers. Maybe we can get out of here safe with the information I was able to grab.'

Kendall eyed Garrett suspiciously- if there was something she knew, it was when a man was hiding something from her. She turned her attention to Ruby, who for some reason had bird like eyes.

"Ummm... Ruby.... please tell me you weren't born like that...."

Ruby shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"No thanks. You carrying me was enough."

She replied, and plopped down against one of the huge rocks.

Ruby looked up at Kendall, confused.

"Huh? Born like what?"

She asked, trying to make sense of what the girl had just asked her.

When Garrett got back to the camp he noticed everyone had made their own bed.

"Suit yourselves." He said as he put a huge amount of pine needles and a few branches with fresh leaves on them. He fluffed it all up as best he could into a bed and turned to the girls.

"Ok y'all, gather 'round and lets take a look at what I grabbed." As he spoke he took the papers from the waistband of his jeans, hoping they weren't covered in sweat. The last thing he wanted was to gross out the girls on top of annoying them. His flirting was only a joke, a way to keep the tension and fear at bay, for all of them.

"How did you get those?" Ruby asked, a little troubled by Kendall's question. She was certain Kendall hadn't meant to insult her, but the question still bothered her. She heard one of the dogs howl, and it sounded like a blood hound. The noise sent a chill up Ruby's spine.

Kendall sat in close to Garrett, astonished that he managed to think about information during an escape- she wouldn't have.

"what does it say?" She tilted her head with inquiry. A part of her wanted to know what was going on, but the sickness in her stomach was making her a little troubled.

"Wait...i don't know if i want to find out..."

"Well, I don't know any of your last names so I will let you look for your own names, but here is mine." He showed them the page with his name on it, and that it said his animal was Rhino. He wondered what that could possibly mean.

"Any of you have any idea why it says my anmial is Rhinoceros?"