Animalia

"Not a clue." She muttered.

Ruby snatched the rest of the papers from Garrett's hand and searched for her own name. It took her a moment to find hers and then handed the papers to Kendall. She started reading through her papers, tense. Hawk? Her eyes widened.

"What the hell!" She exclaimed.

"Well that explains the birds.... and the fact that you could see this enclave so far away..." Kendall shook her head. " I've heard about something like this...But i thought it was just a rumor" She accepted the papers from Ruby and puckered her lips, searching cautiously for her own name. Her fingers trembled over the paper, wrinkling the edges.

"Kendall Cambridge....Infused with Armadillo...." She gagged on her own words. "Gross"

(OOC: Suggestion. Besides being mixed with the DNA of an animal, I think it might make the story more interested if they could actually infulence the animal their DNA was mixed with. What do you think?)

Ruby nodded in agreement.

"Why the fuck were they doing?"

Ruby wondered, glarring at her sheet.

"To that question, Ruby, I have no answer."

He looked at Kendall with an eyebrow raised, wondering how someone so attractive could have something so bizarre as a part of her. He shook his head, realizing that if Kendall was "part" Armadillo, and Ruby was "part" bird, he was "part" rhinoceros. He looked down at himself, looking over his skin and his hands.

'How can I be rhino. I don't have rhino feet, or grey skin like a rhino.'

"That DOES explain why Ruby could see so far. Hawk eyes.." He said thoughtfully.

"She was also extremely light, which birds are. Right?" He asked around. Not really knowing much about birds.

"If she's got eyes and bones like a bird, what do we have?" He wondered, looking at Kendall for any answer she could give him.

"well I didn't want to admit it..." Kendall's vioce waivered insecurely. "I didn't get cut by the thorns and when I fell, nothing happened" She pushed her finger through the knee of her jeans, were there was a tear from tripping and falling.
She tucked her brown hair behind her ears, feeling a small bump on the base of her neck, there was a small metal port sealed to her skin, her fingers traced around the metal ring, her eyes opening wide with terror.

"Garrett...Ruby... turn around..."

'Uh oh.' Garrett thought as he turned around.

"The look in your eyes tells me I should be afraid. What is it Kendall?"

Ruby looked up at Kendall, confused. What now? She wondered, though she stood up and turned around as Kendall had asked.

"Birds have hollow bones by the way." She said, answering Garrett. She looked at her hands, a little pale in the face. If she fell, she could easily break a bone more so then the average human. If they even were human anymore.

Kendall ran her hand over the small port on the backs of both Garrett's and Ruby's necks.
"Weird... i see these in some motorcycles i've worked on... their like energy ports, or data ports...they normally hook up to computers..." She gasped and took a step away from them, hearing the dogs in the distance.

"holy shit- this is nuts."

When Kendall's hand ran along the back of his neck Garrett got goosebumps. Her hand was rough but her touch gentle. Her touch distracted him so much he barely heard what she said.

"So... We've been hooked up to computers. Great, now we're even weirder."

She used her new eyes to spot the dogs. They were quite a ways off, following one of their fake trails. She took off her light sweatshirt and found a thorn and pricked her finger and got some blood flowing. She ripped several holes in her shirt and rubbed it on the ground, making it dirty. With her bloody finger, she started making smears of her blood on her shirt.

Kendall stopped talking and watched Ruby with confusion. She never did understand her....

"What are you doing? won't the dogs smell that?" She took a step back toward Garrett and when their arms touched, she jumped. there was a shock of electricity when their skin touched. she turned her head to hide her rosey cheeks; fiddling with her leather jacket.

"Sorry..." she mumbled under her breath.

Ruby glanced up at Kendall, smearing more blood from her thumb onto her sweatshirt.

"The dogs smelling this is the idea. I'm trying to make another diversion."

She took a deep breath and stood, knowing she might not make it back. With her sharper vision and hearing, she used the trees and shrub for cover, staying hidden from the dogs. She had to get far enough away from their camp and hurry back, dropping her bloodied and dirty sweatshirt to fool the labcoats.

Garrett grinned at Kendall. "No need to be sorry sugar." He said as he winked at her.

"Be careful!" Garrett yelled to Ruby as she ran off. He couldn't believe she was being so brave.

'I guess we all need to be brave now. This could be the end, any moment we could all be dead, or worse, knocked out and put back in those cages.' He shuttered at the thought. Now all he could think to do was wait for Ruby, in the hopes that her plan worked. However crazy it might seem. She did have the eyes of a hawk, so hopefully she could see something he couldn't.

Ruby heard him from even where she was. It took her quite some time to get where she wanted ahead of the labcoats running the dogs. She found a thicket full of thorn bushes and threw her sweatshirt on one of the bushes. She pricked her hand again and got more blood flowing and left spots of blood on the ground and the surrounding area to confuse their pursures, contsantly listening and watching, her heart pounding loud and fast through fear and adrenaline.

Garrett sat on a downed tree and stared into the forest after Ruby. He fiddled with some branches, pulling the leaves off. Unsure what he could do while they waited to see if Ruby was going to be able to distract the dogs he tried starting a conversation.

"So.... Kendall. I was trying to figure out where we are and I can tell you this much; we are not in Texas. I have lived there for nearly 10 years and it is much cooler and too mountainous here for it to be Texas. Where are you from?"

Kendall laughed at his awkwardness, dusting off her jacket and sitting down in the grass.

"I lived in Connecticut for most of my life, but i've been living in LA working on motorcycles for the past two years. You know, tattoos and motorcycles are big there" She laughed, running her hands through her hair.
</SPAN>

"never saw this coming, that's for sure...What did you do before this?"</SPAN>

Once Ruby was satisfied, she began to make her way back, once more hiding behind trees and ducking through bushes and thick brambels, hoping her distraction would work.

"I've been working on an oil rig out in the Gulf for about 7 years. I was off for a month before I went back out for another 6 month stint. Really good pay, really hard work. They're going to wonder where I am when I'm not on the boat to go out to the rig." He chuckled, but wasn't really into it.

"If we make it out of this mess I plan to use some of my savings and go on a nice long vacation. Saving up money only to be kidnapped wasn't really part of the plan." He smiled at Kendall. She seemed to be much more cool headed than he expected someone who lived in LA to be. Not to mention she was gorgeous. Her touch made him feel off kilter, and that shock of electricity between them couldn't have been coincidence.

He watched Ruby as she ran, head moving every so often as she changed directions. Caspian had woken up shortly after the others had, and though he'd quickly found out that his natural senses and abilities had somehow been enhanced-- his hearing and eyesight sharper, and he was stronger and faster, though still as thin as he was before-- he was still as confused as he had been when he had awakened in a cage. Perhaps this girl would have answers.

Following her was the easy part. Her heart was pounding so quickly, fluttering, almost like bird's wings, and Caspian almost fancied he could smell her fear-- a sharp, tangy sort of smell that made his own heart quicken. "Miss!" he called out, loud enough for Ruby to hear, and stopped short at the sound of his own voice, half an octave deeper that it had been. This isn't my voice, he thought, panicking now. There seemed to be no end to what had been done to him.

What the hell, man.

Ruby froze and ducked down. She scanned with her sharp vision and spotted someone else looking frightened. She waved them over and placed a finger to her lips in the sign to keep quiet.