An Arragement Most Foul

The next few weeks went on slowly for Annaliel, her stuff slowly arriving at the mansion as she took her place as Constantine's wife. It was very different from life with her parents, she had so many freedoms now! But she also had new responcibilities as well. Being the lady of the house meant she held down the fort while Constantine was away, planning dinner and determining where things went in the house. It was surprisingly stressful since she wanted to make sure her husband came back to a relaxing enviornment. However, Annaliel couldn't help but feel a little lonely with Constantine always rushing out the door to go work with his father, leaving her alone for days at a time. She didn't tell him that though, he was already tired enough and didn't need her putting another problem on his back. Annaliel was greatful Colette however, being able to fill the dull day by writing her letters, it wasn't until her little visit did Annaliel wish that Constantine was home to help...

"Pregant...wow...Well Colette yo have to tell Henry! If you don't it will only make things worse. Besides, you are married Colette, and it was only a matter of time before this happened, especially considering that you and Henry are absolutely crazy for each other. You could barely keep to youselves at the wedding!" She said as she stood up and walked in front of her friend. " Now relax, Henry won't hate you for getting pregnant, It takes two to tango remember? Just tell him the turth and talk it out, because this effects more than just you and Henry, it effects the baby as well. If there are any problems then come here and Constantine and I will help you alright?"

After that Annaliel quickly sent Colette home with a comforting hug and loving kiss on the cheek, telling her that talking with him should be done sooner rather than later. When Constantine arrived home she smiled at him and greeted him like she always did, placing a kiss on his cheek and hugging him tightly. She smiled at the news of him not having to go anymore held him a little tighter.

"I am glad, I was missing so much. Oh! There is something I need to tell you!" She exclaimed as she tugged him to the. Parlor to sit, relax and drink some tea.

Colette sighed heavily then nodded. "Okay, I guess....I have no idea what I'm going to do...but i'll try. Thank you! I have to go, now. I promised Henry I'd meet him back at the town square in half an hour." Colette hugged Annaliel goodbye before leaving out the door her carriage passing by Constantine's father's on the way out.

Taking a deep breath, Constantine was relieved that Annaliel was so cheerful. Following her to the Parlor, he wondered what was so exciting that she had to tell him. He slumped down on the couch next to his wife while pouring himself a brandy. "So, what is so exciting, darling?" he asked smiling, his eyes very tired, but alert, "I thought I saw Colette's carriage passing by. She came over to visit?"

Constantine.jpg Colette Machird.jpg

"Yes she did, and she told me the most surprising thing. She's pregnant! For a moment I couldn't believe it, I hadn't expected from her of all people . Oh she was an absolute mess though, she was worried Henry would leave her since he said he didn't want children yet. I was able to talk her into calming down and telling Henry but I can't help but still be a little worried about her...Do you think Henry would leave her for that? He looked so happy with and I just can't imagine him pulling such a stunt." She said worriedly as she looked at Constantine.

She didn't know Henry all that well so she couldn't say for sure if he would do that or not. She just hoped Colette just kept her cool if anything did go wrong, she couldn't bare to think about her friend running throuh the streets crying again, and this time with a child on the way.

Gulping down the brandy and pouring more, Constantine wasn't shocked to here the news of Colette's pregnancy. It was bound to happen sooner or later. He was just worried that she was so torn up about it. "No. Henry's not that type of person. And, yes, he loves Colette so much, I don't see why he would. If she would just tell him, I'm sure he'd be thrilled," he replied drinking the second glass down quickly and pouring, yet another glass. He took a deep breath, and drank it down, and continued, "I was wondering why I hadn't heard from her in a while. But, then again, it wouldn't matter beacause I've been running amock for the past couple of weeks." Reaching for the bottle of brandy, he motioned to pour more, but then put the glass down and turned the whole bottle up to his mouth.

Constantine.jpg

"Well that's good, I just hope she doesn't stress herself out to much, stress can have bad effects on women who are pregnant..." She said as she watched Constantine have one glass of brandy after another.

When he pulled the bottle to his lips Annaliel gave a small gasp of surprise and quickly snatched the brandy away from him, grabbing the topper from the table and closing the bottle as she looked at him disappointedly. Here he was, already half way through the bottle, and he had only just gotten home and sat down. And he was doing this while talking to her no less!

"Constantine! Have some self control! I know you've been really stressed and busy but that is no reason to down half a bottle of brandy after just getting home! On top of that while I'm talking to you, something we haven't been able to do since we got married. Is this your way of telling me to shut my mouth or do you need to be drunk to get throuh our conversations now?" She said, slightly offended by his sudden alcoholic benge, it certainly didn't make her feel comfortable knowing that Constantine was doing that to himself.

Constantine was just putting the bottle to his lips when it was practically snatched away from his hands. He wasn't mad, but he could see Annaliel was. "I'm sorry...It's not you at all! Just a little stressed. And now my father is acting all strange......" he said sinking further into the couch, "I can't seem to figure out why, either.....I think I'm going to go to over to my parents' house. Maybe mother knows what's wrong with him." Getting up slowly, he looked back at Annaliel, "Would you like to come along? My mother has been nagging me ever since our wedding about how she hardly sees you anymore."

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel nodded her head as she took the bottle of brady and hid it in a nearby cabinet.

"Yes, I would love to see your mother, I haven't seen her in awhile and I could use a good trip out of the house, one can only keep themselves so busy in a house like this for so long." She said as she walked over to him, smiling a little bit.

Annaliel then hurried off to get her cloak befor they left in their carriage to Constantine's parent's house. She hoped that everything was fine with his father, it would be a terrible shame if something happened to such a kind man.

As the carriage skittered off down the road, Constantine's mind flew off as well. What was wrong with his father? Ever since the wedding, everything had been flying by so fast. He wondered how long he would be able to keep up. The carriage stopped in front of the estate and Constantine hopped out, and helped Annaliel out before proceeding inside the house. The butler led them into the living room where Coriella was sitting drinking tea. She quickly put down the teacup, as soon as her son and his wife walked in and hugged them both delighted to see them. "Constnatine! Hello! And if isn't beautiful Annaliel! It's so nice to finally see you again!" she said motioning them towards the couch, "So, what brings you here this time of day?" The young man looked to his wife and then back to his mother again before speaking, "Well......I was just wondering....Have you noticed fathere acting strange lately? At all?" The Duke's wife looked at her soon slightly confused. "No....Not at all. Just a little busier, but, other than that, he's alright! In fact, he's been happier than ever!.....Why?" she asked. "No reason......" Constantine said quickly changing the subject. Maybe he was overreacting. Maybe he had been working a bit too much. At least he could finally take a break now.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel couldn't hep but wonder what was going on in Constantine's head, first he was chugging a bottle of brandy and now he was rushing off to his parent's house. Did something happen that he hadn't told her? She didn't pester him about it, knowing that he was already for to tried and over worked to be able to give her a proper reason for his actions at the moment. When they arrived Annaliel smiled at Coriella and hugged her back happily. It seemed that Coriella didn't notice any change in her husband, so maybe Constantine really was pushing himself. After the subject past Annaliel spoke with Coriella happily, catching up with her on just about everything thing she coudl remember, not to sure when she would be able to get out again.

As soon as Annaliel was through catching up with his mother, Constantine quickly left. Once they had gotten back home, he went straight to the bedroom and got ready for bed. He was really tired, and wriggled underneath the covers. It was only then that he realized he couldn't sleep. Too much brandy? Constantine stared up at the ceilling, blinking. His mind replayed everything that had happened the past few weeks with his father. He couldn't seem to find anything wrong, himself, just that he had been working him far too much. But, as much as his mind wanted to escape the thoughts, his heart kept asking the same question. What's wrong with him? Constantine turned over in the bed shaking his mind of all thoughts. "Sorry if I worried you any, today. I've been pushing myself a bit too much," he said softly to Annaliel before shutting his eyes and trying to attempt sleep. No sense in trying to make something wrong with somebody, when there obviously isn't.

Constantine.jpg

When they returned home Annaliel took the liberty of making sure the house was in order before heading up to bed, letting Constantine head up first since he was far more tired than she was. She went around putting out lights and closing door before saying a final goodnight to the remaining servants. As she walked to their room she found herself wondering what was wrong with Constantine. He seemed rather worried about his father's attitude as of late. She didn't try to think to much about it, she really didn't know much anyway and Constantine was already over worked and under rested. She slipped into the bed next to her husband after slipping into her nightgown, moving in close adn resting against his side. She laid a gentle hand around him and smiled a bit.

"It's alright...You're tired and overworked. Just get some sleep..." She said before placing a kiss on his cheek and closeing her own eyes to fall sleep.

Constantine did his best to rest the following weeks that went by, not going out very much at all. Eventually, he got his bearings and was back to his normal air again, the thoughts of worry about his father long gone. "Good morning, dear!" he said cheerfully to his wife kissing her before sitting at the dinner table. He was planning on spending the day with Annaliel while walking around town a bit. He was glad that he could spend time with her again like they used to, and, of course, every now and then he had to leave to work, but not as much as first. He was relaxed and happy again. Unfortunately, he would never have anticipated what would happen next. A fierce knock on the front door came quickly, making Constantine nearly jump out of his seat. Who could be coming over to visit this early in the morning? The butler walked into the dining room and said that it was one of Constantine's brothers and that they would like to speak with him immediately. The young man got up slowly, and said to his wife before he headed for the living room, "I'll be right back..."

Elias lifted his glasses and wiped his eyes with a handkerchief before turning to speak to his older brother, "Constantine.....I'm sorry to be coming to you at so early in the day, but....it's father......he's not doing well......" The eldest son looked at his brother and began to laugh. "What are you talking about? I know he's been acting odd lately, but you can ask mother! He's doing just fine! I mistakened it for being something wrong, too, but-----" Elias shook his head frowning, cutting Constantine off,"No, he's dying!.......The doctor is over there right now! He says he's only got a few more hours left to live!" It was like a punch in the gut. Like his heart had shriveled up until there was nothing left but a gaping hole. He backed away from Elias trying to accuse him of lying, but he just stood there shaking his head tears falling down his cheeks. He would've cried himself, but he just couldn't believe it. His father was on his death bed, and that's all he could think of before running out the door.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel fluttered around Constantine like a fly, always keeping an eye on him and making sure he didn't drink stright from the bottle like he had done the night he got back. She also spoiled him a bit and treated him sweetly, making sure he could relax and catch up on lost sleep. Eventually, once he had gotten himself back together, she maid plans for them to enjoy a day on the town, shopping and eatting lunch out, maybe stopping at her parents house for a small visit. She smiled up at Constantine happily as she returned his kiss and went back to eatting her own breakfast. When the knock came she looked into the hall curiously, wonder what on earth it could be at this hour of hte morning. She watched her husband wander off but still got up herself and listened from the dinning room, wanting to unknow what was happening.

She wasn't able to hear much since the door had been closed but she knew something was wrong as soon as Constantine busrt from the parlor. She caught a glimpse of his face and noticed he was crying, her heart sudden't squeezing with worry. She quickly trotted over to his brother, who was still standing in the living room, looking a bit shocked.

"Elias, What happened?! Why did he run off like that?" She asked, her tone slightly scared and worried.

"........Father's on his deathbed. He doesn't have much time left.....," Elias replied trying to keep from crying himself, "I think we should go after him. He's headed for the estate." Walking quickly out the door, Elias hopped in the carriage not noticing whether or not Annaliel had followed. His mind was set on Duke Arelson as was his brothers. As the carriage flew down the street as fast as it could go, it seemed like forever til they finally reached the estate. Quite a few carriages were already parked around the estate. The butler quickly opened the front door to let Elias through. He was now running just as fast as his older brother stopping in the living room to see a very devastated Coriella crying and Donovan sitting next to her trying to get her to calm down. It looked as if the the King, the Prince, the Earl, the Marquis, the Viscount, and the Baron along with their wives were there, as well. All in mourning, too. "Mother, did Constantine come in?" he asked her bending down to the floor trying to look into his mother's eyes. She didn't answer, still crying and refusing to even give eye contact with her son. She only pointed to the stairs where the Duke laid in his bed just barely hanging on.

Duke Arelson opened his eyes to see his eldest son leaning over his bed looking at him through teary eyes. He smiled a little and began to speak in a whisper, "Constantine.......my son......don't cry for me.....I-I should've been honest with you that day. I had found out only days earlier that the condition with my heart had only worsened.......I told the doctor to keep it a secret. I didn't want my family counting down the days till my death.......Which is also why I was dragging you along to every meeting I could.......I wanted you to learn as much as you could before I die. Enough so you can take on my title as Duke proficiently." Constantine shook his head at his father's words trying to speak through his tears. "But why, father?! Why?! You should've told me!!! I would've understood! And I would have spent the last few weeks by your side!!!" the young man protested, his voice breaking through each sentence. The Duke smiled again, the love for his son and his family quite obvious in his eyes. "That's the point, Constantine. I want you to spend your life happily, not mourning me.......I'm so proud of you and your brothers.......Happily married and to someday have children, as well......carrying on this family legacy. Promise me, Constantine, that you'll take on my title with honor and pride, and love your family as much as I have loved you, your brothers, and your mother."

Constantine nodded, crying, burying his face in his father's shoulder. He stayed with him for the next few hours until Duke Arelson took his final breath and passed away. With no more tears to shed, but his face and eyes red from hours of weeping, Constantine slowly walked out of the room as the doctor pulled the covers over the Duke's body. He walked back down the stairs joining everyone else, who in tur looked up at him to see what he would say, if anything at all. "He's......gone," he muttered before walking outside and sitting on the front lawn. Tears streamed down his face, making it known that the pain was not over. Inside, Coriella weeped harder as she ran upstairs to see her husband one last time, Elias and Donovan racing behind her. Constantine's heart was entirely broken almost impossible to make new again. How was he to fulfill his father's last wishes if just knowing he was gone hurt this much? The young man rolled over in the grass on his side, unable to keep himself from crying so much. All he wanted was to hear his father's voice again even though he was gone forever.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel gasped in surprise, not have expected soemthing like that. Constantine's father had been perfectly fine for the past few weeks, to such a sudden turn for the worst to happen made her pale greatly. She wordlessly followed after Elias and entered the carriage quickly after him, a look of worry and sadness on her face. She had not known Constantine's parents like his family had but her heart still ached for them, they were kind people and to have this happen to them was horrible. When they arrived Annaliel did not run inside like Elias, she walked up to the estate slowly and smiled politely at the butler, though it was obvious she was also upset. When she walked into the parlor and nodded to everyone quietly, knowing words would not be welcome in this time of mourning. She took a seat quietly near the other wives and looked to them for an answer of some sort, obviously not as informed as everyone else. One was kind enough to whisper the short version to her so Coriella would not hear.

They sat there for the longest time, waiting for the enevitable to happen. She ketp her head down as she prayed quietly for Constantine's father, not knowing what else she could do in this situation. When Constantine came back in she stood up, to comfort him but he left to quickly for her to do anything. She watched as Coriella ran off with her sons to see her husband one last time. She quietly excused herself from the others and went after Constantine, not wanting to let him cry alone. She followed him out into the yard and quietly took a seat next to him, his back facing her as he cried softly. She gently reached out and placed a comforting hand on his back as she pulled out her handkircheif for him, wanting him to know that she was there for him when he needed her.

Constantine moved over his head into Annaliel's lap. No matter how hard he tried, the pain wouldn't go away and neither did the tears. It was like there was now a gaping hole where his heart used to be and nothing seemed to fill it. He stayed at the estate for a little while longer, but then quickly got up and into the carriage to leave, hoping that being far away might ease the empty feeling he felt in his chest. Unfortunately, it did not and Constantine practically locked himself in the parlor, barricading the door refusing to let anyone in as he cried day and night. As a few days went by, he reverted to drinking all the alcohol that was kept in the parlor. In his drunken stupor, he still felt terrible, but was a bit quieter as thoughts of negativity ran through his head. He felt guilty for having not payed any attention to either of his parents in the last few weeks of Duke Arelson's life, not caring as much as he should've. He didn't know what he had until it was gone, and now the selfishness and disgust of his past life before meeting Annaliel tore at his very soul making him realize what a horrible person he had been and taking it all out on the furniture, throwing chairs, lamps, and glass everywhere not caring how much he had trashed the parlor, only feeling the sadness and guilt he felt deep inside him.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel comforted him the whole time, running her hands through his hair lovingly and using her handkircheif to wipe away all of his tears. It hurt her to see her hudband like this, but there wasn't much she could do for him. He had just lost his father, the man that had raised him, it was only natural to cry adn sob when you lost such an important member of the family. She went with him when he left to go him, wishing Coriella good night and telling her she'd come over tomorrow to help with anything that she could. After than she slept alone, Constantine having locked himself away in the parlor, not even the servants were aloud in, anyone that tried to talk to him was greeted with silence. Everyday Annaliel went to Constantine's mother to comfort and help her, since Constantine had locked himself away from the world. Everyday she would say good morning through the door and had some food brought to him, and every night she would tell him she loved him, and take the food that he did not accept away.

It was horrible for her, her husband was in pain and she could only sit and wait for it to pass, leaving her to feel guilty. Finally, one night after having come home from being out, She came to the parlor door, only to hear the sound of things breaking. She started to get worried and knocked on the door, leaning into it as she tried to figure out what was going on.

"Constantine? Constantine please open up...It's been days and you haven't eaten a single thing! Please, at least have some tea, a piece of toast even! I'll let you be but please...just eat something. I'm worried about you...Constantine...Sweetie?"

"I ahm tehrubble......don west yor tihm ohn mee.....," he replied, slurring. What was he doing? Why was he like this again? He couldn't remember anything having drank so much, the depths of his mind fuzzy and gray. All he knew was that he was upset. Why? He couldn't care less. Getting up from the floor, slowly he drunkingly stumbled over to the door and pushed the chest out of the way, only to have it fall and break onto the floor. His vision was blurred and unlocking the door took him 15 minutes before he stumbled out of the parlor and blacked out in his wife's arms. Now the pain he felt in his chest was real and his face had gone pale from days of malnutrition and alcohol. And, then, he couldn't feel anything anymore his body limp and his mind lost.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel stepped back as she heard him begin to unlock the door, winceing a bit as she heard something break. When he came out she smiled at him before gasping and running to catch him as he fell. She called out to him and patted his face gently, trying to get him to wake again but it seemed useless. She yelled for the servant then, tears filling her eyes as she looked from Constantine and back around the the house, calling for anyone. As soon as the servants arrived she had them take him up to their bedroom while she sent another servant out to get a doctor. She felt herself shake a bit out of nervousness and she rushed up to her room and helped the servants get Constantine into bed. She looked over his pale face and felt his forehead, finding that he had a nasty fever from his constant drinking and lack of eating.

She had a servant bring a bowl of cold water and a cloth, quickly soaking in and placing it on his forehead as she waited at his side. The doctor came and told her it was just exhustion and over drinking and all that she could so was wait for him to sleep off the alcohol before he could eat anything. The doctor left something for the headache he was certainly going to have when he woke up and told Annaliel to keep an eye on him. For the rest of the evening she watched over Constantine like a hawk, regularly rewetting the cloth to keep his fever down. She could feel tears running down her eyes as she watched him. She hated to she the man she loved so broken...she just hoped that his wave of depression was finally over, or else she wouldn't know what to do with herself.

As Constantine slept, his mind drifted off into memories long forgotten and dreams. He coughed a lot before opening his eyes again to find himself lying in his bed with a wet cloth on his forehead. He tried sitting up, but found himself to weak to even move. What had happened? As he slowly remembered his father's death and his emotional rampage, his heart sunk, but he wasn't as upset as he was at first, too sick to even be sad. He tried calling out for someone, anyone, but it only came out as a hoarse whisper. Whatever he had done to himself, he could surely feel the results. Although he had no regrets, the feeling of loss still embedded in the back of his mind.

Constantine.jpg