An Arragement Most Foul

Annaliel had stayed up the whole night watching Constantine,waiting for him to wake up. It was obvious for she had dark circles under her eyes and it seemed that she had been silently crying the whole time. When he started to wake it seemed to jolt her out of her sleepy haze and made her move in closer to her husband, placing a loving hand on his facce.

"Constantine! Oh, don't move, you haven't eaten in days and you drunk youself silly! I'll have food brought in." She said, dashing over to the door and yelling for a servant to bring food before going back to him." Oh sweetie, are you alright? How do you feel? I have medicine from the doctor if you feel ill! Oh Constantine...I was so worried." She said as she held onto his hand tightly with her own and held it against her forehead, starting to cry slightly as her worry turned into relief.

"Uhggg....How long was I asleep?" he asked, squeezing Annaliel's hand back, happy to know he wasn't alone this whole time. He rubbed his head a little before turning to look at her, making a small smile. He felt terrible and he knew he would never do that to himself again, or at least would try not to. "How is my mother? The funeral hasn't come, yet, has it?.....I'm sorry, I felt so helpless and alone...." Constantine tried to sit up once the servant had came in quite embarrassed at his predicament.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel took to food from the servant and sent them out before bringing it over to Constantine and setting it in his lap so he could finally eat. She smiled at him as she quickly dried her eyes with the back of her hand and took a seat next to him again.

"You've only slept less than a day, it's only yesterday eveing that you passed out, and don't worry, the funeral won't be for another two days you haven't missed it all. You mother it getting better, she's still sad but she's working hard to get things settled and much of your family as come into town to visit and support her. Please, Constantine, promise me you'll never do that again. I was so worried about you and I thought so many times that you might have killed yourself in depression...I'm your wife Constantine, I'm always here for you, no matter what." She said as she started to cry again.

Constantine wiped Annaliel's eyes lovingly. "I won't....At least, I'll try not to......Thank you for being here with me...It really has helped," he said. He stared at the food, only then just realizing how hungry he actually was, and picked up the spoon gingerly as he tried to eat. He didn't eat much, but enough to give him back a little of his energy. The medicine wasn't exactly all that great, either, but....anything to make him feel better. After he had finished, he attempted to sit up and get out of the bed, stumbling a little as he walked.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel smiled a bit as he wiped her eyes, pulling back and finishing calming herself as she watched him eat. She was glad that he was starting to get better, she was so worried about him. She watched him eat a little, sad that he did not eat more, and got up quickly to catch him in his stumble. She looked up at him and smiled a bit, a small laugh slipping out as she helped him stand up stright.

"Constantine please do be careful. You're still a little weak and I can't have you getting injuried, not when I need help with the ba-" She quickly shut her mouth and blushed, forgetting that she had not mentioned one very important bit of information that had just com to her attention the other day...

Constantine looked up at Annaliel confused, "The what? Is everything okay? Did something happen while I was out?" He straigtened up and supported himself by holding onto the dresser nearby. His legs felt very wobbly, and he was surprised he could stand up even this much. Walking back slowly to the bed, he sat down on the side and looked up at his blushing wife, waiting for a reply. He hoped the news wasn't bad, he surely couldn't take anymore pain at the moment.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel shook her head as she looked at Constantine, smiling a bit as she tried to play of her little slip.

"It's nothing Constantine, I shouldn't worry you with it, especially now when you've just gotten better. For now, just rest, don't worry about what I've said okay?" She said, though it was obvious that she was trying to hide something from him, that was for certain.

Constantine raised his eyebrow, even more confused looking like his mother. "Well, now that you're telling me not to think about it, I can't help but to!.....You're hiding something...aren't you? Annaliel, I won't be able to get my mind off of it unless you tell me. What is it?" he said, trying not to be pushy, but his curiosity was definitely heightened. What could be so important that she had to hide it from him?

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel looked at the ground, her blush growing as she tried to find a way to say what she had to say without messing up. She bit her lip a bit as she tugged at her dress nervously, looking up at him for a moment before looking away again.

"W-Well, I didn't want to tell you yet because you've been so upset, and I had my suspecions since your father died...I started feeling ill lately so I went to the doctor the other day to see what was wrong and well....Well I..." She paused a moment as she looked back up at him again, agulped nervously. "Constantine...I'm pregnant." She said softly.

The words hit him and almost knocked the wind out of him. "P-Pregnant?" he uttered before looking down trying to analize what his wife had just said. Annaliel's pregnant? Then....that means....I'm going to be a father! The irony of it all made Constantine wonder whether he should be happy or worried. And to think his own father had died just but a few days ago, an now he was going to be a father himself! Wow.....It seems like I'll be taking my father's place in everything....... Looking back up at his wife again, so she wouldn't feel as if she had something wrong, Constantine managed to smile, and, in a sudden burst of energy, he leaped up to hug her tightly, happy to hear some good news for a change.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel nodded her head to comfrim it, knowing that there was no going back now. For a moment she thought he would be mad at her, but when he jumped up and hugged her all of her worry went away quickly. She was so glad that he was't mad or upset! She knew that he had been through a lot and feared that he would not be able to handle the news, luckily she was wrong.

"Oh Constantine! I'm so glad you aren't mad! I though you'd be too stressed out to handle the news well." She confessed as she hugged him back just as tightly and smiled as well.

I'm going to be a father! Constantine could barely believe the news, but hugged his wife happily before lying back down on the bed again. At least, now, he had something to look forward to. Something to keep him on his feet and careful with what he did. As he closed his eyes to rest a bit more, all he could think about was what his child would be like and his father's funeral to come.....

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel smiled and joined him on the bed, propbably even more tired than he was from having stayed up all night. She curled up next to him adn closed her eyes, dreaming of what would come. Now that she was expecting there was a lot that would have to be done, clothing to buy, a nursery to be set up, and a doctor to find to help with the birth. On top of that they had the up coming funeral as well to thing about. She'd be there to comfort Constantine, she just hoped that he didn't get depressed all over again, she wasn't sure if he could handle something like that again and be able to survive it without some permanet injury to himself.

Constantine stood up outside with 100 other people, one hand holding his mother's and his other hand holding Annaliel's. It was the day of Duke Arelson's funeral and the King, who was also among the many people, did what he could to make it as private as possible. It was a very sad and momentous ceremony as they all tried hard to fight back the tears, knowing that the Duke himself would not have wanted them to. The priest quoted a few scriptures fron the Bible, and once the funeral had ended, everyone walked up to casket and placed a single flower and said their final goodbyes. It was a heart-wrenching day, especially for Coriella who had hard time leaving from her spot in front of the casket in which her husband laid, crying uncontrolably, and not wanting to let him go. Constantine stood by his mother and whispered to her that she must let go, or her heart would never heal and the Duke would not rest in peace. Far from upset, Coriella reluctantly followed her eldest son and his wife back to the carriage, tears still streaming down her face. Constantine refused to leave Coriella in the large estate alone, afraid she might do something wreckless as he had, and told his wife that he would stay with her for a few days till she was back to herself again. The widow was torn to pieces, and as the days went by, nothing could lift her spirit at all, her body and mind in a deep depression that noone could heal, but Duke Arelson. Constantine and his brothers did what they could to cheer her up, but nothing seemed to be working and they sadly watched as their mother took sick herself, the stress eating away at her health as she laid helplessly in her bed that once held two.

Colette had finally found time to come to Hemmingsway for the funeral. She was more than happy to see Constantine and Annaliel again, and she hugged her friends, her belly more than visible, now. "Oh, Annaliel! As soon as I heard that Duke Arelson had died and Constantine was taking it horribly, I nagged Henry to bring me here immediately! Is he alright, now? And what about Elias, Donovan, and Coriella? I've heard so many things in Walsberg, but it's all nothing more than sheer gossip! I overheard one of my servant girls saying that Constantine had commited suicide, but I now know that that's not true since I saw him at the funeral! Ugggh! I wish people wouldn't be so gullible as to believe everything they hear! It becomes quite confusing and frustrating for me! And what about you? Are you okay?" she said, rubbing her belly as the baby kicked wildly in her stomach.

Annaliel stood by Constantine's side through the whole funeral, holding onto his hand tightly to let him know that she was there for him. She did not let word get out about her pregnancy, this was a time to remember the dead and respect them, the mention of new life could come later to the family. Her own parents came to show their respects, as well as her sisters and their husbands, offering any help they could give to the family. The funeral seemed to go by slowly for everyone, what only took a few hours felt like many days. Annaliel watched from a distance as Constantine and his brothers comforted their mother, knowing that she needed all the help she could get at the moment.

When Constantine stayed with his mother for the next few days Annaliel did not say a word against it, Coriella needed to be surrounded by family and friends and it would be horrid if she did anything to hurt herself as well. She herself started to get sad as well though, being without Constantine mad her very lonely. She knew that she couldn't ask him to return though, he had to take care of his mother. She was glad to see Colette again however and happily hugged her close when she came to visit.

"Oh Colette things have been so crazy! Constantine nearly starved himself and got himself absolutely drunk, though he is better now and helping take care of his mother. He brothers are helping as well. As for me,well, I guess you could say that I'm carrying a little more than I am used to, both mentally and physically..." She as she looked down at Colette belly. "So how are you? Is the baby doing good?"

"Well that's good to hear! Henry, said I shouldn't be too worried. But I'm doing good, myself and so is the baby!" Colette replied, smiling, "This is all very new to me, and, thankfully Henry has been more than helpful. It's such a weird and exciting feeling, you know? The only thing I'm afraid of now, is when it's time for him or her to come out....Are you sure you're okay? You look a lot more tired than usual......"

Constantine paced around the hallway while his brothers enticed their mother to eat her food. Things definitely weren't looking up, and Coriella seemed to only be getting worse. He didn't know what he could possibly do to make her feel any better, and was afraid she would die, too from stress. Walking into the living room and plopping down on the couch, Constantine let out a heavy sigh. What was he going to do? Just when he was about to give up for the day, he got an idea and quickly went upstairs to tell his brothers.

Annaliel looked at Colette quietly for a moment, wondering if she should tell her. She should get the news out soon before people started to notice her belly and rumors started to spread. On top of that she wanted to tell someone but not when people were still mourning The death of the Duke, she didn't want people to think she was trying to get attention. Certainly Colette of all people would like to hear, she'd be glad to have the company in pregnancy. She turned to look at Colette in the eye and smiled tiredly as she place a hand on her own stomach.

"Well, let's just say I'm carrying a little more weight around the house now."

Colette looked at Annaliel confused. "What?" She was definitely not one good at solving riddles and Annaliel was definitely speaking in loops. Colette shrugged and went back to patting her belly quietly. This baby was definitely going to be a very active child. I don't see why she's being so vague....weight?....Unless.....
"Oh my gosh! You're pregnant?!"

Just then, Constantine strolled into the house happily, and quite surprised to see Colette in the living room with Annaliel. "Hi, Annaliel, Colette! I'm so happy to finally be home! Mother is still not doing well, but me and my brothers have the greatest idea that just might cheer her up! How are you two? You both looked flushed," he said cheerfully as he let the butler take his jacket.

Annaliel laughed as she nodded her head, glad that her friend was able to get the hint she made. She then looked over to Constantine and smiled widely at him as she got up and welcomed him home happily, placing a large kiss on his cheek.

"Welcome home sweetie, Colette and I are fine. I was just telling her about the new addition to the family...Anyway, come sit with us and tell us about your plan, anything to make your mother happy again is greatly welcomed." She said as she motioned for him to take a seat while she went over to brandy cabinet and pulled out a small bottle, pouring him a tiny glass before locking up the liquior again.

Constantine smiled and sat down. He looked down at the brandy reluctantly, and after shrugging, he drank it down. "She's so upset. And all she ever wants to talk about is father. I remembered her saying how she met him at one of the ranches in London, and, well, we were just thinking that maybe we should all take a trip down there, as a surprise!" he explained, "I know it's such a long trip from here to London, but, mother needs this. What do you think?"

"Ooooh! London! I've only been there once, but it's such a wonderful place compared to Walsberg!" Colette nodded in agreement. Her father had normally only taken her brothers, since her mother had hated London with the crowded streets and the many people. Her own mother had always been so claustrophobic and anti-social, forcing her and her sisters to stay with her while her father and brothers went on certain trips.