An Arragement Most Foul

Annaliel slowly awoke after Constantine left, still alittle tired as she tried to remember where she was. As she looked around he realized she was still in Constantine's room. Then she remembered everything. She felt her cheeks flush as she hopped out of the bed and quickly pulled on her nightgown and robe before sneaking back to her own room as quickly as possible. She couldn't believe she had done that, on the night of Colette's wedding no less! The woman would never let her live it down if she ever found out! She rushed to her own room and quickly dressed and did her hair. She pulled on a simple blue day dress and ran out her door while she finished putting her hair up in a bun. If she took to long her parents might get suspicious about what happened last night.

She slowed down before she entered the dinning room, not wanting to draw any attention to herself. She sat down near her mother and father and started to eat quietly, wishing her parents a good morning before she took a bite of food. Her mother told her of Constantine's had to leave early for business and left with his father, not planning to return to Hemmingsway until tomorrow. Annaliel nodded her head in understanding but still felt a little hurt. He could have at least woken her up before he left, at least to say goodbye. A bit of worry filled her as she wondered if this was just his flitatious nature returning and he had only done everything to get her to-

No, Constantine wasn't like that anymore!...At least she hoped.

She and her parents thanked Colette's parents for letting them stay before headding off in a carriage back home. The whole ride she couldn't help but feel a little worried about Constantine having left before her. After last night her mind was filled with so many questions and the only person who could answer them was him.

Constantine was glad once the meeting was over and, before they left back to Hemmingsway, he picked Annaliel up some flowers and something special. The trip back home was bumpy, but the young man somehow managed to catch up on his sleep on the way there. As soon as he got home, he freshened up and changed into a less formal outfit. He quickly ran out the door and back inside the carriage. He was going to take a surprise visit at Annaliel's house. Constantine knocked on the door only half confident, afraid that when she saw him again, she wouldn't take him seriously. He held on to the flowers tightly in his hands as he knocked on the door again.....

Constantine.jpg

When Annaliel arrived home her parents quickly left, both have other things to do that day. She had the house to herself then and quickly retreated to ther family library. It was a nice sized room and had a sitting area in front of a fire place, the walls completely covered by shelves filled with books. She quickly grabbed a book pulled some of the cushions off of the couch and set them on the floor. She then sat down on the floor and kicked off her shoes before she began to read. For the rest of the day she sis not move from her spot in front of the fire, only getting up to grab another book or two. She did this until a maid came to the door, saying that Constantine was at the door. She looked at the maid surprised for a moment before closing her book and telling the maid to show him to the library. She then started to put away the books she had pulled out, holding a pile of them in her hand as she quickly put them all in their proper places.

Constantine walked through the house behind the maid into the library. The library looked very cozy and nice, but all he could bring his attention to was Annaliel. Once he was there standing before her, he held out the yellow tulips to her, "Hi, Annaliel. I hope I haven't come at a bad time...I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. I didn't want to wake you. I picked these out for you...." He really didn't know what else to say, and he really didn't know whether she was upset with him or not. Either way, he smiled at her cheerfully, hoping she'd understand.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel turned to him when he came in, having just put the last book away. She took the flowers and smelled them a bit before passed them on to the maid to have put in a vase and sent to her room right away, she didn't want such pretty flowers to wilt while she got distracted with talking. She then turned back to Constantine and smiled shyly at him as she nervously tugged on her dress.

"I wish you would have at least woken me up...I didn't get to say goodbye." She said softly as she looked down at her shoeless feet, her cheeks flushed a bit with embarrassment.

Constantine looked at Annaliel trying to find the right words to say. His stomach twisted and turned, and he slowly bent down on one knee. Pulling out the special gift, he opened up the case revealing the most beautiful diamond ring. He held it out to Annaliel and said, "I.....I know we're already engaged and.......I know that after all I have done in the past and in the present, I don't deserve a woman as great as you and....you don't desrve a man as terrible as me, but....I realized.....after the party at Colette's house that I love you. More than anything or anyone ever before......And if I have to spend the rest of my life with someone.....I want it to be you. So, I'm asking you. The right way. And not forced by our parents......Annaliel Ackworth....Will you marry me?" The words gushed out of him quickly as if they had been bottled up inside for years, and Constantine swallowed hard as he awaited Annaliel's response. Everything he had said was true. He loved her so much even though he didn't deserve her, so much that his heart ached just from being away from her for only a short time. It was an exciting feeling he had never experienced before and even if she said no, he'd still be too happy to be upset.

Constantine.jpg

A look of surprise plastered on her face as he got down on one knee, pulling something out of his pocket as he did. At first she couldn't believe it but her shock was comfirmed when he opened the small box to show off probably a prettiest diamond ring she had ever seen, not even her mothers or sisters could compare to it. She looked at him with wide eyes as he spoke, not believing what she was hearing. He loved her, he loved her. Her heart swelled in her cheast as she felt her eyes fill with tears of joy. She had been so nervous that he was going back to his old ways but now she knew for sure that he was going to stay with her forever.

The tears started to spill from her eyes as she tried to speak, having lost her voice from all the surprise. Her hands darted up to her mouth as a sob slipped out instead of words, all of her atempts after that failing as she continued to cry happily. Eventually she gave up on saying anything adn just nodded her head wildly, the shaking finally giving her a chance to speak.

"Yes! Yes, of course I will!!" She nearly yelled at him.

Constantine embraced his fiancee crying a bit himself. Slipping the ring on her finger he said laughing, "For a moment, there, I thought you were crying in horror!" He gently kissed Annaliel on the lips and held onto her tightly. He didn't want to let go and he never would. In the beginning, he was vain, cruel, and a heartbreaker. Now, he finally found someone of his own, and the experience throughout changed him into a better person. Yes, of course, he was still a little rough around the edges, but he'd smoothen out eventually. The only thing that mattered to him right now was the young woman in front of him. And he'd do everything he could to make her happy.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel laughed along with him as she messily wiped her eyes as she watched him put the ring on her finger. She happily kissed him back and held onto him tightly, wrapping her arms around his neck as she stood on the tips of her toes to make sure they didn't part. She was so happy that he loved her, this meant that they could actually be happy in their marriage. For the rest of the evening she sat with Constantine on the couch, cuddling in front of the fire as they talked about their wedding softly, stealing kisses and light touches when they could affored to do so.

For the next few things their lives were absolute chaos, after telling their parents about being completely content with marrying each other a wedding day was made almost instantly, leaving a short amount of time to prepare. Invitations were made and sent while letters were written to family to take the place of brides maids of grooms men. Annaliel's sisters where in complete uproar at the news and happily supported their sister, a little amazed that she was able to tame a beast like Constantine. Flowers were bought and dresses made, suits tailored and nannies haired to watch the babies. During this time it was hard for Annaliel and Constantine to be alone since their family was always running in with another question or another part of the wedding which they had yet to plan, but they would steal kisses when they could.

Eventually the big day came around the Constantines mansion was decorated for the big event, the garden set up for the ceremony while the mansion was in an uproar. Somewhere in the mansion, Annaliel was sitting in a large room, sitting at her vanity as she nervously looked herself other. Behind her was her mother and sisters, all of them already dressed and helping her change.

"I'm going to trip...I know I will." Annaliel said shakily as she squirmed in her chair nervously, her head thinking about everything that could go wrong.

"No you won't." Her mother replied as she made another curl and tucked it into the growing mass of them on the back of her head.

"Then I'll throw up from nervouness."

"You haven't eaten anything all morning, the only thing that will come out is air." Her sister Emmilia replied as she adjusted a few pieces on Annaliel's wedding dress.

Her other sisters, Rebecca and Sophia were rolling their eyes as Annaliel continued to list everything that would go wrong, shuffling around with the bottles of makeup as they prepared to make Annaliel lovely.

Finally, Constantine was engaged and he actually wanted to be. He sat with Annaliel for the rest of the evening not really wanting to ever be apart from his fiancee. His mind and his heart were filled with so many new and exciting feelings and thoughts where an empty hole used to be that he at first didn't konw how to fill. A lot of his bachelor friends asked him why he so suddenly wanted to be an a commited relationship, but, truth be told, he couldn't really explain it himself. Annaliel made him happy in ways he couldn't make himself, and that's all he could really say on the topic. It was an unexplainable feeling that you'd only understand if you went through it yourself. Of course, his parents were absolutely thrilled by his newfound enthusiam to get married, and acted upon it quickly. It wasn't long before they joined forces with Annaliel's parents to get everything arranged as soon as possible, and now Constantine has found himself sitting in his bedroom getting primped and ready for his wedding that would take place in only minutes in his parents' backyard. His stomach was doing flips as he watched all of his closest friends and family arrive at the estate one by one.

"And where is the beautiful bride, might I ask?" Colette said as she waltzed into Annaliel's room, "You look very lovely, Annaliel! More than lovely!" She turned towards the young woman's mother and sisters nodding to them politely and saying, "Hello, Mrs. and Annaliel sisters. I do hope I'm not intruding! Just wanted to wish Annaliel all the best!" She hugged her lightly and then quickly ran out the door help Coriella greet the steadily coming guests.

"Father, I must say, I didn't realize exactly how many friends I have!!!" he exclaimed, nervously to his father who was standing nearby getting ready for the wedding himself. "Don't worry. You'll be just fine and I promise you, once the wedding is over, you'll be so elated it'd be a surprise your head wouldn't have floated up to the ceiling!" the Duke replied, chuckling. Constantine walked back over to the mirror by his father and adjusted his collar and cuffs, "I'm supposing that's how you felt when you married mother?" The older man nodded, smiling. "Yes......It was the most exciting day of my life next to you and your brothers being born," he sighed. The young man could only hope his father was right and he wouldn't pass out from the stress of it all. Standing in front of nearly 500 people, including Annaliel's family and friends, Constantine could feel his face turn red as he watched the bridesmaids and grooms men walk down the aisle followed by the flower girl and the most beautiful bride in the most beautiful dress.....

Constantine.jpg Colette Machird.jpg

Annaliel smiled a little as Colette entered the room, her mother and sisters saying hello politely as they continued to get her things ready. She quickly hugged Colette back before her mother forced her to face the vanity again. After that it was the make up and the dress, the elegant gown showing off her lovely figure and making her look like a princess. The final touch was her veil, the silly fabric so long that it dragged upon the floor like a train. Finally, It was time for the ceremony to begin and her mother and sisters quickly rushed off to get to their seats as Annaliel waited for her cue to walk. She could fell her heart beating in her chest as she looked over the crowd, there had to be twice many people as there were at Colette's wedding, possibly even three times! When she got her cue she strightened herself and took a calming breath before she began to walk.

She looked forward as she felt everyone's eyes on her, her cheeks turning bright red from all the attention. She then glanced over to Constantine, using all her will power not to run to him and hide her face in his chest from her embarrassment. She held into her flowers tightly as she finally arrived in front of Constantine, smiling shyly as the priest began to start the ceremony by reading loudly from his book. The whole ceremony went without a hitch, Annaliel was even able to keep her stomach in check the whole time. When She leaned in to kiss Constantine she stood on the tips of her toes to make sure she would reach him, not paying much attention to the cheering crowd as they locked lips happily with each other.

Everything went smoothly, thank goodness, and Constantine almost sighed out of relief as he leaned forward to kiss Annaliel as the guests applauded wildly. As everyone proceeded back inside for the reception, he pulled Annaliel aside and into the corner to steal a second kiss from her and walked over to speak with his father as he so suddenly called out for him and Annaliel. The King was here! Unfortunately, he was far too busy that morning to attend the ceremony, but he arrived at the party to wish both him and Annaliel a wonderful marriage. Constantine could happily say his father was right. He felt elated! And no matter how much Elias and Donovan teased him about how red his face looked, nothing could kill the amazing mood he was in. Taking a look at the painting the local artist had painted of him and Annaliel's kiss under the wedding arch, the 28-year-old could only laugh at himself. As he danced with his wife across the floor, he knew that this was definitely the most exciting day of his life.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel felt like she was walking on air, her smile was so wide that she was certain that she would slip her face in half! She giggled wildly as Constantine pulled her aside for a second kiss, happily excepting it as she cupped his face with her hands. When the king arrived she was a little surprised but gladly thanked him for making it to the reception. Even as her sisters teased her for her giddy expression and her friends laughed as she babbled on about how happy she was, she seemed to just shine among everything. She blushed a bit when she saw the painting of their kiss and happily thanked the artist before she was pulled off to the dance floor by her new husband. She twirled around with him and smiled up at him as they moved about the dance floor, very certain that there was nothing that could make this night better.

"Are you having fun?" Colette asked as she hugged Annaliel tightly, "I'm so happy for both you and Constantine! And I just want you to know that if there's anything you need, you can count on me! And don't worry, I'll be sure to visit you both whenever I come to Hemmingsway!"

Constantine danced with his mother after he danced with Annaliel. Apparently, she had something to say to him. "Constantine, I am so happy for you! Now that my last child is happily married, I think I can die a proud wife and mother!" she said, laughing, "Promise me you'll treat that beautiful young woman like a princess!" After reassuring his mother that he would, and finished dancing, Constantine walked out onto the balcony with a glass of champagne. The party went on for hours, and once it was all over with, he had to shake his head to remind him of everything that had happened. He was a lot happier than he had been in years, and once he had said goodbye to everyone, he walked over to his wife and held her in his arms. "The party may have ended, but......I have a surprise for you! It's a wedding present from my parents," he said to her motioning for her to follow him into the carriage as it pulled away down the street.

Annaliel happily hugged Colette and smiled at her, her face flushed with joy. "Oh I'm having a wonderful time! I'm so happy you came, thank you Colette. And then same for you, if you need me for anything just say the word and I'll be on a carriage to your home without a second thought!" She said before getting pulled away by her father who wished to steal a quick dance.

She danced with her father who prasied her on everything, placing a loving kiss on her forehead like he did when she was little. She batted at him and blushed, embarrassed by it and he just laughed and continued to dance with his last daughter. When they finished dancing Annaliel made the rounds among the guests, laughing adn thanking them for coming before she moved on to another group who was calling her over. The party continued on like this, full of food and drink and dance. When it came to a close Annaliel returned to Constantine's side and smiled at him shyly. She gave him a curious look when he mentioned a surprise and followed him to the carriage, taking a seat in her poofy dress and long veil, nearly taking up all the space in the carriage.

"A surprise? What would they give us on our wedding night?"

Constantine only smiled at Annaliel's question, and waited for the carriage to pull to a stop before he led her out, covering her eyes. "No peeking!" he said. Leading her through the gate and down the dark pathway, he, then, stopped and pulled his hands from over her eyes. There in front of them stood a beautiful mansion not as large as the estate, but, big, nonetheless. Light shined through the many windows, enabling them to see the shape and light color. A cobblestone pathway came up and around the house, and there was even a small garden in the backyard. "I hope you like it. My parents bought it just for us. A mansion for us to stay in till we either find our own or till my father dies and I inherit the estate along with his title. There's even a large library inside, just for you," Constantine said, his voice echoing through the night sky.

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel stared at the mansion in complete surprise, not beliving that his parents actually bought something like this for them. She looked from Constantine to the house, shocked silent as she looked over the beautiful home.

"I-I can't believe it!" She mumbled as she looked at it.

She slowly started to walk up the path as she looked over teh garden and house. It was absolutely lovely! She couldn't believe how nice it was! She soon found herself running up the path excitedly and walking in, looking around the interior with a large smile plastured on her face.

Constantine followed Annaliel around the garden and in the house as she looked around happily. The inside was just as lovely as the outside and fully furnished, as well. "I'm glad you like it," he said to her softly, "We could stay here for the night, if you want." Walking up the stairs, he showed her the master bedroom. It was very spacious and comfortable, and Constantine hopped onto the bed tiredly, not even caring to change. As he closed his eyes and let sleep embrace him, he dreamt of a wonderful future for him and Annaliel, and all of his worries washed away........

Constantine.jpg

Annaliel followed Constantine up the the master bedroom and looked around happily, turning to him to say something but stopping as she realized that he had fallen asleep. She smiled at his sleeping face and walked over to him and took of his shoes and jacket, as well as loosened his collar for him so he could at least sleep comfortably. Next she slipped out of her wedding dress and undid her hair, pulling off everything accept the underdress she wore. She then slipped into bed next to Constantine and cuddled into his side happily, quickly falling asleep as soon as she closed her eyes.

The next few weeks followed with Constantine shlepping off to different meetings and lunches with his father, as the servants got most of his things packed and moved into the new house with Annaliel. Every now and then, whenever he got the chance, he'd spend as amuch time as he could with Annaliel whether it was a beautiful picnic by the lake or a small breakfast in the garden outside. It was confusing to Constantine as to why his father was being so busy dragging him here and there trying to cram as much Duke duties into his eldest son's head as he could. He was so hard up with all this, that, sometimes, Constantine wouldn't even be able to get decent rest at night or even eat breakfast in the mornings. Constantine was afraid that Annaliel would start to feel abandoned with him being gone half the time. He did the best he could to keep Annaliel happy either way, and tried to keep his mouth shut as his mother had suggested. It was at the King's meeting, that he had had enough. As soon as the King had left the room and the Earl and Marquis went off to have a smoke outside, Constantine confronted his father being as polite as he could. "Okay, father! I can't take all this anymore! I know I'm going to be the Duke within the next couple of years and I need to learn as much as I can, but this is just becoming too much! It's like every morning you're dragging me along someplace different, sometimes gone for days! I have a wife, now! I love her very much and I don't want to lose her beacause I'm hardly ever around anymore!" he begged.

"I'm pregnant!!! Can you believe it?! I sure can't!!!" Colette sobbed to Annaliel, "I know I should be happy, but....but...I'm so scared! I've changed a lot, but not that much! I can't take care of a child! I'm barely a good Aunt to my sister's little boy! I haven't even told Henry yet! And it's only beacause when I brought the subject up to him a few days ago he was like 'Well, it's nice for other people, but I don't want any babies just yet!' and then he laughed!!! Oh, Annaliel! What am I going to do?! I can't keep it a secret forever! Pretty soon, everyone is going to notice me getting bigger and bigger, and Henry's going to get angry and leave me all alone to take care of it by myself! I don't want to lose him! And I'll definitely be a terrible mother! Every woman I know has said it is a beautiful and exciting thing, but not for me! I can't even sleep at night anymore! I'm always crying late at night whenever nobody else is around! What am I going to do, Annaliel?! What?!" Colette cried burying her face into the pillow beside her on the couch. She had been so stressed out roaming the streets of Walsberg and Hemmingsway like a lost child until she finally worked up the courage to go to Annaliel and talk about it. Her and Henry had only been married for about 4 months now, and it was more than shocking for the young woman to get pregnant so soon! There were so many things she had wanted to do with Henry first! Colette got up, tears streaming down her face, and started pacing around the living room. How could someone like her raise a child? And what would Henry think of all this?

The Duke looked at his son indifferently. He polished his glasses before speaking slowly, "I know. And I understand........This will be the last meeting I carry you to. I would rather you not lose Annaliel, either. I just want to make sure that my eldest son can take on all the responsiblities as Duke once I'm gone without spoiling the Evingsdale name and turning our reputation into a mockery. Excuse me, now. I'm going to find the bathroom." Constantine's heart sank as he could see his father's feelings were a little hurt. Why was he being so touchy all of a sudden? He had never been like that before..... Riding in the carriage back to Hemmingsway with Duke Arelson was a guilt trip and, before he got out, he felt as though he had to apologize, ".......Father. I'm sorry if I was being a bit brash. It's just that I'm so tired and cranky and----" The older man stopped him in the middle of his words to say, "It's alright, son! It's alright! I know how you feel and I know you mean no harm. It's foolish of me to shlep you away from Annaliel so much, and it's me who owe you an apology. Run along, now! I'm sure Annaliel's waiting for you. I'll see you next week when you come to visit." As the coachman closed the door, Constantine could see his father smiling at him through the window, and, of course, he smiled back. As the young man entered the house, the butler took his coat, and as soon as he spotted Annaliel, he said to her, "Don't worry. Apparently, today is the last day I'll be running off here and there. How are you?" He hoped his wife wouldn't be too upset with him.

pencil.png