American Paragons

• Thread starter BrattyCommissar
  • Start date

Would you be okay with this RP having a heavy tie to collab posts through Google Docs?

• Maybe. I am fine if others use it, but I won't if I will not penalized for not using it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe. Google Docs does not work for me, but I am fine if others use it still.

• No! But I would be open to some other platform for collabs.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo! I can now comfortably say I have finally finished Anna. Still looking over errors here and there, but I believe my character sheet complete!~

I believe my CS is complete as well, although I'm still pondering a suitable alias for Oto...:bsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

• Alias: Resistance or Drag.
      Name: Ariett Deveca.
      Sex: Female.
      Appearance: Brown hair, tied messily back behind her head—if allowed to extend, reaches just past her shoulders. Dark eyes, dark eyebrows. About 1.6m (5'3") tall. Not particularly slim, athletic, still has a healthy layer of fat.
      Biography:
      Raised since birth in the mock-idealistic White Fence, Ariett's parents saw no reason to leave their home even after discovering that the whole thing was effectively a government experiment. Ariett herself, 19 at the time, decided it would be the perfect time to move out, and went to live in the Bishop District, where she took on her apprenticeship as an engineer. However, unable to make ends meet, she returned to live with her parents only fourteen months later.

In the ensuing years, her career started to work itself out, and she made a fair share of money for herself, buying her childhood home and sending her parents off to live in some easy-living space on Rook Island. Though not on bad terms to be sure, they did fall out of touch, as Ariett sought her own independence after spending so long in her parents' debt.

With a couple coworkers close enough to be titled "friends" and many failed attempts at romance, Ariett has little that ties her down other than the home in which she was raised and the career she'd been careful to nurture.

When the second Blast Event struck, Ariett was launched from the roof of a residential building in construction, and impaled upon a metal rod. After regaining consciousness, miraculously alive, she tugged herself free of the cold embrace of rusty death and wandered her way through the desolation until she was retrieved by Enforcers, who quickly patched her up. Thankfully, though some organs were damaged by the rod, there had been almost no internal bleeding, and they were able to sew her back up nice and proper.

• Regulator + Tanker
        Her manifestation is barrier-field generation. These are intangible barriers formed out of raw force—they are motionless with Ariett as the reference, and resist any movement past their boundaries. Note that this force does not deflect, only immobilize. Opposing forces powerful enough can breach them, but will be slowed as a result. Weaker projectiles will remain in place until the barrier is released, and then will free-fall. Her primary use—as Regulator—of this ability is to generate protective shields around allies and other targets, so as to resist incoming attacks. Her secondary use—as Tanker—instead creates barriers directly pressing against her flesh. In effect, what this does is hold her flesh together, allowing her to continue to move despite wounds. For example, if she was stabbed in the gut, the barrier would hold the wound closed and stop the bleeding until medical attention could be obtained.

oops

I, Holmishire, the Ghost With No Home, agree to allow Elendra, as the GM, to do whatever she deems necessary to my character in order to progress the story.

Reactions: Iben

Gemini
Katherine Eve Chase; 27; Female

Biography
Katherine spent her life like every other young girl; she hated her parents, loved the boys, and thought school was for the birds. Her world revolved around being beautiful and making her way in the world by kissing a few of the right people and sweet-talking the rest. From the time she was born, her family constantly reminded her of her general weakness as a woman.

"You will only get ahead in life if you use what your momma gave you, Little Kat," her father would say, and she believed it. She grew up to learn that what mattered the most was her appearance and that led to jealousy and depression on her part. Most of her time was spent in front of the mirror, applying make-up and scrutinizing her own appearance. Her eyes were too wide. Her skin was too pale. Her breasts were too flat.

At the time of the second Blast Event, Katherine was visiting a Cosmetic Surgeon to discuss some important changes. They were in the middle of having tea in his home at White Fence when the blast occurred. When it was over, she was the only one left alive in the home.

Primary Archetype
Infiltrator - Body Manipulation

Secondary Archetype
Hunter - Enhanced Smell

Manifestation
Body Manipulation - Katherine can change her body to look anyway she wants it to. This is limited to human features. While she can change her appearance drastically and take on either gender (except down-below, she will always read as Female), she is unable to grow to an outrageous height or manipulate her fingers into blades.

While Katherine is "transformed", anyone who sees her afterwards will get the feeling that something is 'off'. If they are close to the individual that she is imitating, they will notice that their voice is higher than usual. They may also notice that the shadow that Katherine normally casts goes unchanged. So, if she changes into a 6'4", fat man her shadow will still cast Katherine's normal 5'6", slim figure. As of right now, Katherine can only change her "colors", but can not shape her full form.

Enhanced Smell - Just as it says. Her sense of smell is heightened to a large degree. She can easily tell the distinct pheromones and scents produced by another individual and can find them in a general area. As of right now, her new sense makes her feel sick. The world stinks, you know?

Primary Empowerments
None yet.

Secondary Empowerments
None yet.

Signature
Jerelin

*Image By: mckadesinsanity*

Reactions: Iben
KAIROS
Alias: Kairos
Name: Charlotte Gabriels
Sex: Female
Appearance:
Picture Credit
Biography: Charlotte was born into old money... nobody can quite agree on the nature of her forefather's business, as he was either a jeweler or a train robber, and it was some very wise investments and real estate choices on his part that have mainly kept the Gabriels line flush with cash through the generations. Charlotte is the youngest of three daughters and was spoiled rotten as a result, attending prestigious schools through her youth, never denied a single whim. She likes to pretend that her upbringing hasn't affected her personality at all, presenting herself as exceedingly casual and using all of charms to make people feel at ease. However, this tends to have the opposite effect. It's hard to remove the perfumed odor of high society and propriety from a girl like her.

University did nothing to mellow her temperament, attending Vanderbilt and studying Classics, with mythology and museums always being a guilty pleasure of hers. It became the stuff of jokes at family dinners, that after Nicole and Amelia pursued degrees in Theatre and Music, respectively, Charlotte was somehow angling to outdo them both in impracticality and level of monotony. Unemployed and using the time after college to engage in various "grand tours" with friends, she felt a sudden need to apply herself to something a bit more substantial.

She left behind the family home just outside of St. Louis and drove up on a road trip of sorts to meet an interviewer at a small library in Chicago who was looking for an assistant to work on sorting and piecing together a new exhibit of amphoras. Having heard so much about a pizza place in this little town along the way, called Kuakilla, Charlotte decided it would have to be a stop. Even the tiny road map she'd purchased along the way made reference to it, and she took it as a sign. Stopping in at the Blue Moon District, the last diversion before she reached her interview, she happened to be driving back towards the highway, having to pass through White Fence to get there, as the second blast event occurred.

Primary Archetype: Destroyer
Secondary Archetype: Regulator
Manifestation: Time Reduction and Time Acceleration. Charlotte's primary ability is slowing time, or more accurately, being able to trap an object or person in a slower state. Her secondary ability allows her to do just the opposite, causing great haste in her allies or, if used cleverly enough, using a speedy enemy's momentum as a weapon against him.
Primary Empowerments: None yet.
Secondary Empowerments: None yet.
Signature: I, Foxxie, place this character over into Elendra's hands. Whatever the GM decides to do with her will be accepted by me.

Due to interest in the RP surpassing my expectations, I'm modifying my original plans just a smidge. Assuming all submissions are accepted, there will instead of ONE starting mission, be TWO. This will split the group in two, putting them in different parts of the map with different objectives. Communication between groups is still possible, of course (cell phones and other things!), and it's also possible that they end up crossing paths, but ideally each group will be able to complete their objectives without the others so that posting orders don't get too complicated.

That said, collaboration on posts, through things like Google Docs or Titanpad, or whatever other method you wish, is encouraged within mission groups, and would be acceptable beyond it as well. I personally find that collab posts are very good in high action scenes where the play by play and overlapping parts makes posts shorter, and for doing conversations. Plus, I've had some very good luck with RP by collab before. I won't initiate it at the start, but if a majority of the players are for it... well... I'd be greatly interested in doing things in that way.

And then with that said, signing up for one mission over the other will be a first come first serve basis. But you are free to talk OOC on how you should split up!

With that being said, it sounds promising indeed.

For the record, I am open to any form of collaborative venture, although I prefer it be through some medium that doesn't require a specific program since I'm not always accessing the website from my own PC ( so something like google docs would be great).

Reactions: LVL1337N00B
I'm with Iben on this one. I rarely have internet access on my laptop and do the majority of my posting with my cellphone. I've tried using Titanpad, but unfortunately it doesn't work on my mobile browser.

I'm all for collaborative posts, but yeah. Best bet if I'm involved is PMs.

Oh, also.. If the group is as large as the list of applicants, will we still be using one thread? It might be a little easier to organize if we split it into two IC threads for separate, but interchangeable teams. I'm still in, however you decide to do it. Just a suggestion.

Google Docs is alright on mobile, and that can be a good platform for collabs. Personally, I find it much, MUCH more reliable than PiratePad or TitanPad (have had some bad experiences where both went down for a while, taking a small novella-worth of RP with them). Though PMs can work just as well.

I'd be open to trying that sometime, when we start doing collabs.

Oh, also.. If the group is as large as the list of applicants, will we still be using one thread? It might be a little easier to organize if we split it into two IC threads for separate, but interchangeable teams. I'm still in, however you decide to do it. Just a suggestion.
I've seen it run fairly smooth within a single thread (people just put headers on their posts to say their character and which mission group they're in), but I do see the merits of splitting it into two ICs... to a degree.

The issue would then be if the groups run into each other in IC over the course of a split, AND the split won't be there always either. Because 'downtime' between missions would likely have all characters in the same area anyway.

Okay, going to begin looking at sheets in detail. Approvals and asked edits and maybe someone will even be rejected! Not likely, but it is a possibility. Will have a post with comments, criticism, and sheet status posted up when I'm done with reading through. All at once, not gonna do near a dozen posts in the mean time!

Reactions: Jerelin
I'd personally favor just one thread with some sort of headers as Elendra said, it just feels strange for me to have two different threads and it does make reading things in the future (when/if groups collide) slightly more effortful.

Looking forward to your review. :)

Shoot, was just about to do a revision of Sarah's powers (really not liking it right now xD) Would you mind possibly leaving her for later so I can get her fixed?

EDIT: Fixed her up :D

Last edited:
Alias: Voidreaper
Name: Matthew Yung
Sex: Male

Appearance: Slightly taller than average at 6'2 (1.88m) and weighing 180lb. (82kg), Matthew is in okay shape. His build is on the thin side, with most of his weight as msucle. His hair is dark brown and generally falls this way and that. Bright green eyes are framed by a pair of glasses, that while aren't strictly necessary, do help.

Biography: Matthew wasn't born in Kuakilla, but moved to it in pursuit of his career. He worked for Moonlit Steel Incorporated and was transferred out to a plant in the area. He'd worked with the company before during his university years and enjoyed it, so with the benefits they included for him moving out of town, he saw no real reason to decline.

He was originally born in Canada, but moved to the States after receiving a scholarship at a university. His parents didn't like the fact that there 18 year old was moving out of the country for schooling, but the money offered was a fairly large sum. That combined with the fact that he had managed to receive such a scholarship in the first place were enough for them to grant him the privilege.

It was one that he didn't abuse. Matthew was a studious sort through high school and university didn't really change him. He joined the kendo club to continue practice in the sport, and between that and his studies in engineering most of his time was spent up. He made a few new friends from inside his department, the club, and his co-op placements with Moonlit Steel Inc., but could never be considered a socialite.

When he finally graduated, he was snatched up by the company that had given him all his co-op placements for the last five years. And eventually he was transferred down to Kuakilla, even further away from his family. It was difficult for the three of them, but like with university, they agreed it was the best choice for Matthew's future.

He's been in the town for just a few months now. The company had even helped him find cheap housing in Rook Island. Now that he thinks about it, the Bishop District probably would have been better. Closer, less populated, and overall more relaxed.

Right, and he also wouldn't have had to commute through the White Fence. Which was just what he had been doing when the Second Blast occured.

Primary Archetype: Infiltrator - Cloak Shroud
Secondary Archetype: Warrior - Scythe Claws

Manifestation: Producing and storing a unique sort of energy, at the moment Matthew is capable of expelling it in a sort of shroud around himself that bends light in such a fashion that renders him invisible. The shroud is anchored to him and thus he isn't immobile when the power is active, but fast movement will cause the shroud's effectiveness to drop considerably. Moving at a jog will cause the shroud to shimmer and ripple as it fails to properly bend the light, thus making it quite obvious to his presence to any observer. A full out run will simply be too fast and the shroud will fall apart. The shroud at the moment does nothing to muffle sound or absorb other forms of radiation such as thermal, so he's only undetectable to the naked eye.

Matthew's second archetype manifests itself as two scythe-like claws that grow on his forearms and extend about a foot and a half from his wrist. Both the foundation and the claws themselves are strong enough to be used as melee weapons without causing Matthew any harm. They aren't supernaturally sharp, so stab vests or the like are still effective at defending against him. The natural weapons can manifest or disappear at will (fug conservation of mass), breaking through or disappearing under skin. The process takes a while to complete at the moment (20 seconds) as he's still trying to get a feel for it.

His two Manifestations seem to have synergy with one another though. Exactly how isn't known, but the same energy that is used to create Matthew's shroud, seems to coat his claws after the shroud itself fails. Though the coating it is quickly expended afterwards, lasting only for a few seconds, while it's present he's able to cleave through far tougher material than usual. Most personal armor won't be much help, capable of only slowing rather than stopping his blades.

Primary Empowerments: None yet.
Secondary Empowerments: None yet.

Signature: Zombehs. Matthew accepts the results, good and bad, of his actions.

Last edited:
Shoot, was just about to do a revision of Sarah's powers (really not liking it right now xD) Would you mind possibly leaving her for later so I can get her fixed?

EDIT: Fixed her up :D
Oh. But. I did them. NOW I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo.

Just power changes, right? I can work that in.

Yep, just that and her Alias. I'm really sorry, I've been wrestling with a power change for the past couple days and just never got around to it xD

Taking a short break from reviewing while I make lunch... or dinner... whatever time of day meal this is.

Also as another note, I've decided that I'm going to 'stop accepting' when I hit 12 players. Because that's a great number for dividing groups up. 2 of 6, 4 of 3, 3 of 4...

Another option is to divide characters into proportions...

Edited my character sheet, although I merely added an alias and fixed some grammatical errors.

I recently recalled the hilarity of the Black Mage from Final Fantasy, despite, mind you, never having played the game and considering Oto's punk aesthetics it seemed like a good title.

images

Scratch that, I decided to follow classic superhero convention and name my character in a way that reflects his talents, so Summoner it is. I am however leaving the picture of the Black Mage here because damned if he/she isn't a marvelous character.

Edit 3: All edits made were minor and in regards to sentence structure or grammar, the promise of a three day weekend has awoken my cognitive abilities once more.

@DuskNDawn

Character: Sarah Yamamoto; Euphoria Thermosa

Smart Asian; CHECK

Had an opportunity to make a pun name for the Kuakilla University, or its mascot or sport team. Missed it. -10 points

Betty and Sarah; Lesbians? +10 points

Betty also makes a good plot hook for later!

Destroyer / Infiltrator : Stealthy Debuffs? Nifty.

Love the Destroyer Manifestation!

Not as much love but still like the Infiltrator Manifestation

Not addictive? Fair enough. Don't want an accidental drug dealer.

ROUND TWO ON POWERS APPARENTLY

Blaster / Regulator : Still a good combination

Both are still good. Not in love but still like them! Hopefully you do too so I don't have to come back and review them again, ERIMEAN nothing.

@WanderingSpirit

Character: Serenity Dervis; Silver

No Blemishes? That'll change fast.

Boyfriend mentioned, don't see a name! Give him one so I can use him in plots easier!

"but they kept it PG" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA +10 points

Decent excuse for basic self defense training.

A slight conflict with established lore. Remember, by and large people began to assume the Blast Event warning was a lie! The effects of that rumour wouldn't be as great as described. Tone it down just a smidge.

Infiltrator / Hunter : A classic combination

Hoho, not a snack cake; super speed. Training her whole life for them? Tone that down a bit, and should be fine. Not sure how this is Infiltrator, however. Instead appears to be Warrior!

Whoa, blindness? Didn't expect someone to give themselves a flaw like that. Fair power excuse, blindsight is good, and definitely Hunter!

The more I read of Hoho, the more it's definitely Warrior instead of Infiltrator. Not sure if that was the intention. Hoho also seems to be strange in how it's done. Would suggest replacing it with Enhanced Speed and then use Empowerments to increase speed and applications instead. Makes it simpler and more of a power than a skill set.

@Jorick

Character: Byron Ignatius Kettering; Druid

An asshole who's a 'hero' to spite his parents? A bit iffy, but so long as he's good with saving people regardless of whether it's directly nature related he should be good!

The phrase "tree-hugging liberal hippies" is used. +10 points

Through a bit of corporate espionage (he read some things sitting on his father's desk) +10 points

Tanker / Blaster : Because fuck GLASS cannons

Tanker Manifestation is good!

I feel the Blaster Manifestation is creative and cool.

@Iben

Character: Oto Novák; N/A Summoner

Prague Spring. +10 points

"assailed by strange images and whispered voices that spoke of the arcane..." easy to work as either legitimate or delusions!

Leader / Regulator : Another classic combination.

Manifestation stacks itself up on itself, golems are cool, obvious weakness in requiring material present to do it, guessing wreckage will be the best use for this.

The trepidation of testing the empowerment on others is an interesting touch. Gives me room to decide the results of that as well!

@Valhalla

Character: Annalicia Renee Rodriguez; Parasyte

"While her mother was more forgiving, her fathers reaction had nearly put himself back into cardiac arrest." Whoooooooa, harsh. I like it, but damn.

"Finally have a good relationship with my family! Would be a shame if they all-- oh dammit."

Infiltrator / Hunter : More solid as this concept than the prior one.

The Infiltrator Manifestation is... hrm...

I've written on it twice now, deleting it both after I realized I was looking at it wrong. First it was okay, but then I was like 'wait, this feels more like a first level Tanker than Infiltrator' because it feels more 'avoid damage' than 'avoid detection'. BUT then I reread it and it is definitely 'move through things' and that's... acceptable. I'd say you can't use it yet to avoid attacks, however. Not yet, with an Empowerment, maybe!

That said, while you don't have to change this, a comment. I'd prefer that instead of having the ability to go longer but the danger of doing it at start, that you'd be unable to do the longer durations. Specially as you already have the 'hold your breath' thing! I feel that just having that be a limitation for now would be better. As is, it's still... fine.

Whoa I went on a lot longer on that power than I thought. MOVING ON.

Psychometry is just good, no problems from me on that one.

@LVL1337N00B

Character: Andrew Morgan Tolliver; Many Aliases

Biography is good, but unfortunately lacking in specific things for me to make jokes or comments about really. Oh well!

Tanker / Warrior : I was surprised we didn't get this sooner!

I'm a fan of the Manifestation! Obvious utility, a good drawback that makes sense, and stuff.

@Asuras

Character: Katsumi Kaminaribi; Discharge

Yay! You used information you got from asking me things to make your Bio better. +10 points

1993, WWE should be WWF, I think. Also, woo, rasslin!

Don't suppose I could get a name for the terminally-ill girl? No reason. Don't ask. Just gimme the name :3

Warrior / Blaster : Damage ALL the things!

Hrm, the part about absorbing electrical damage should probably wait. Immunity to her own electrical damage is fine, however. Otherwise, I like that Warrior Manifestation.

The Blaster Manifestation shocked me (pun) though. I was expecting you to do it as a longer range zap. The ability to fling small metal things is good as a substitute, however!

@Holmishire

Character: Ariett Deveca; Resistance or Drag

"impaled upon a metal rod." Hardcore. Or kinky. Or both.

Regulator / Tanker : Buff ALL the things!

Actually, this manifestation is pretty interesting. Works well with both Archetypes you took. Good good.

@Jerelin

Character: Katherine Eve Chase; Gemini

Cool, I'm an Aquarius er I mean

"thought school was for the birds." Hahaha.

White Castle? I feel this was a typo, and it was meant to be White Fence, unless he lived in a White Castle burger joint >_>

Infiltrator / Hunter : I was not expecting this one to be so popular!

Infiltrator Manifestation, clearly useful, but the only thing I need to have you add is some limitation that makes it so people can tell you've changed your shape, or something? Not sure, but it needs to be a bit weaker. Either a tell, or more limitations. You can certainly eventually get Empowerments that increase the power's strength to where it is now, and more, of course!

Hunter Manifestation is good as is!

@Foxxie

Character: Charlotte Gabriels; Kairos

Like the forefathers thing. I can definitely work with it!

"town"; Kuakilla would be more accurately called a city. A small one, but still! :c -10 points

Incorporating nifty things from it otherwise +10 points

Destroyer / Regulator : Going purely into support, eh?

Manifestation: TIME! Haha, guess I talked you back into that, eh? Love it.

@Zombehs

Character: Matthew Yung; Voidreaper

"He worked for Moonlit Steel Incorporated" +10 points

"The company had even helped him find cheap housing in Rook Island. Now that he thinks about it, the Bishop District probably would have been better. Closer, less populated, and overall more relaxed." +even more points

Infiltrator / Warrior : Stealthy brawler, alright!

Infiltrator Manifestation is good. You already handled balance well.

Warrior Manifestation, good, but I'd prefer that instead of boosted strength the scythe claws had something else to them that made cutting through things easier than increased strength.

Combining them to self buff is cool, but I'd ask you to not get that at start just yet... unless you did this and dropped the enhanced strength. So either drop the strength or drop this for now, and pick the other up with Empowerments later.

STATUS: Very minor edits needed.[/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr]

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.