Active Angel

Kali leaned back, a wrinkle forming on the bridge of her nose.

"What the hell are you talking about, Ronnie?" she asked. Davis didn't give Ronnie the opportunity to answer. Instead, he snatched the mask from her hands and inspected it.

"Yeah, you really went all out! I thought that move had her done for sure!"he exclaimed. Kali's face burned pink in a hidden frustration and looked away from the accursed mask.
Yeah, me too...Snapping from her thoughts, she turned to fave Jack, and instead of reaching out to break his arm, Kali nodded.

"Makes sense. I was going easy on you those other times. Gotta say, you got your work cut out for you kid. I'm impressed and, I can't believe i'm saying this, but I agree with Ronnie. You should join that tournament. You got what it takes, and a little more persistent training, you'd win it for sure." Kali spun on her foot quickly when her face flushed. She realized what that difference about him was....he was attractive! His hair was shorter and his body clearly defined that he had worked out. Kali cough awkwardly and exited the ring, pretending to be rummaging through her gym bag.

Jack nodded, glad for Kali's words, now getting a weird feeling in his stomach. Persistent training was all he'd go through later- wait, Kali just walked away, and was at her gym bag. And that whole time, there was a shade on her cheeks, that made him wonder if he was really that different from before, as he climbed out to talk to Kali, and hopefully hang out with her or something.

"Hey!" barked Ronnie. "I'll tell you what I was talking about: I'm making a bet! Now get up here and fight me, unless you're scared I'll win, and you won't get into the tournament?"

But Jack was totally ignoring Ronnie, and probably about to take Kali's attention away.

"Fine, Davis! get in this ring and fight for Kaline!"

"WHAT THE HELL!?" Davis yelped as Ronnie sent him a malicious sneer. Davis could be heard cursing a storm as Ronnie stalked towards to the lanky orange haired kid. Meanwhile, Kali rummaged through her bag but she could feel Jack coming up to her. Her options were pretty steep but she had to come up with some excuse as to why she was in her bag.

Once Jack made it up to her, she extracted a water bottle and took a small sip after opening it lightly. She was tired after the battle, a unusual thing for Kali to experience. Jack really had his work cut out for him and she was quite surprised. Of course, she wan't going to be the strongest girl ever, but comparing the Jack in the here and now to the prior Jack, there was a substantial difference.

"So, are you going to do it?"she asked, looking away so she wouldn't have to look at his face anymore. The weird fluttering feeling in her stomach was getting to her so she focused on Davis and Ronnie instead, who were wrestling.

"Enter the tournament, or ask you if you want to grab a bite? :D" Asked Jack, totally oblivious of the battle between Davis and Ronnie. If Davis really needed his help, he'd step in. For now, he needed an answer from Kaline on the latter. He really was hungry, and he also had to catch up with the girl on the recent happenings in town and such, and maybe see if she could really become his training partner, and work with him like the old days, but that depended on the girl's answer.

"Well? My stomach is gonna start growling soon…"

"Then you should go get something to eat." The sentence came out a bit...harsher than she had expected. She guessed because going out to eat only brought back the memory of the last time she went and how she stormed out of the store due to Jack's wandering eyes. No matter if he got stronger or looked better, his morals were probably just the same as before. Kali sighed and ended the conversation then and there, looking past Jack and over to Davis and Ronnie.

"Girls, stop, one of you are going to break a nail."she called out. Ronnie stopped chasing Davis and they both stopped in their tracks. Ronnie looked away like he had nothing to do with it but Davis merely scratched his head and trotted over to the two of them.

"I swear, sometimes that guy is seriously tryin' to kill me. I fear for my life with him, yo."

"As well as you should. He has the power to."she said, and slung her bag over her shoulder, facing Jack. "The fight was fun but I'll leave you to your training now. Good luck in the tourney."she said. Her stomach flipped in a silent hunger. She'd just grab something from the vending machine on her way to the park where she was headed.

"D: But- No, wait…nevermind. You're Right, totally right…You don't wanna go. :( Offer's still open, and I promise not to do anything pervy." Jack was shocked at the tone in Kali's voice. He just wanted to try and make up for what he did. Well, it wouldn't come easy, in fact, training and nearing Kali's level of ability was much much easier than trying to hang out with her. The teen martial artist waved at Dave, Ronnie climbing through the ropes of the ring and heading out via another exit, the other boy trying to figure out what he would do about Jack...

"Kali was bad enough, but now I have to deal with that McCoy kid again. I'm gonna have to make some good choices If I wanna have the power….to kick his ass."

"Woah, girl! Where you goin'?! That guy was going to buy us lunch again!" Davis interjected, yanking on Kali's arm. He was becoming more than annoying but Kali managed to suppress her anger for the moment.

"I don't remember him saying that. Or saying that you could join."she replied, swinging her bag over her right shoulder. That shoulder was hurting hella bad. She closed her left eye and remembered that dreaded Napalm Stretch that Jack used on her. She looked behind her at him as he walked away and began thinking. If I trained him a bit more, he'd be able to knock someone out in seconds flat. He is dangerously strong so I wouldn't put it past him. Kali tilted her head, confused as to which way she should go with this. It seemed a bit harsh to hold a grudge on him for the previous lunch they ate. And he even admitted that he was a bit of a perv. Maybe he did learn his ways...

"Oh, so what? It's like a date or somethin'?" Davis interrupted her thoughts but poking her cheeks. This time, Kali couldn't help but swing her fist at his arm. The response was a yelp from Davis. It was a sound a 3 year old girl would make. Kali blushed hard despite the punch and flexed her fingers.

"No."she said. With that, the woman walked over to where Jack was and tapped his shoulder. Her face was still a brilliant color of red but her face held a serious expression.

"This place better be good."

":O" Was Jack's surprised expression, before he was all like ":D" and took Kali by the hand, gripping it firmly. He knew Davis would have wanted to come, but he wanted to talk to Kali alone. So, he tossed Davis some cash.

"It will be!" Jack Promised Kali. "But I doubt Davis will want to come. It's a seafood place where a friend of my father works when they're not training too. He'll get us anything on the menu, for a discount friends' price, especially on Lobster!."

He gestured her to go to the lockers and change, picking up his own bag and leaving too.

-

Jack was leading Kali into a building that overlooked the town harbor, leading her down to the tables by the water, and handing her a menu. The teen had changed into his first outfit, the sleeveless jacket and all, those being his normal attire, as he pulled a seat out for Kali, and taking a seat for himself, and looking eagerly through the menu. His mouth watered after about a few seconds of reading, followed by some wiping of the lip, and he put the menu down to look into Kaline's eyes...

"…So, whatcha' ordering? :D" He asked.

Kali glared at Jack when he took her hand but she fought the urge to attack. Every time someone would become kind with her, her first reaction was to attack. Kali had no reason to lash out at Jack but she just couldn't get use to his sincerity! Why is he not cowering in fear? He talked about the dinner and she listened intently. Davis was too busy gawking at the money to pay any attention to the two of them.

"Yeah...I like seafood."she said, walking with him until they eventually had to separate into the separate locker rooms. Kali undressed and looked at herself in the full length mirror. She blushed then slid on her jeans and a pink shirt that had yellow words reading 'Passionette.' Kali took her brush from her bag and brushed it until it was laying flat against her head, bang covering one eye. This was the first time she was actually trying to look good for someone and it was actually a good feeling.

The place was magnificent! It was so vast and the minute she walked in, she was hit with all of the smells of the food. Her mouth watered instantly as she followed Jack to their table. Kali felt a bit awkward, sitting across from Jack at the table, awaiting their menus. She had never eaten with another boy except for Davis...and was he even considered a boy boy in her eyes anyway? Kali looked down at the menu with the one exposed golden eye and then back up to Jack.

"Shrimp seems good to me."she said with a small smile.

"Oh, perfect: this place has a great 'Shrimp Fist.' you can eat it with some pasta 'boxing tape' wrapped around, and maybe some 'bloody knuckles' sauce. Then again, they're looking for a new platter to sell, so you can just suggest all your favorites."

Jack was smirking on the inside: The platter thing was actually a dedication to her. The appearance of it being a contest was just to cover up the teenage martial artist's true intentions. Jack looked into Kaline's *Eye* and the way her hair was. This way was perfect, and he wished she had it this way more often. Her clothes were just as casual as his own sleeveless jacket, t-shirt, etc from when he first came to the gym long ago, so formality didn't matter much right now.

":3 I'm getting the Mega-Platter."

The bridge of Kali's nose wrinkled when she listened to the boy discuss the menu items. If she wasn't mistaken, she could detect a very physical touch to all of the food. He talked as if he were discussing fighting moves! Kali couldn't help but giggle at his excited face when he told her that he would be getting a Mega Platter. She remembered scanning over what it was and laughed even harder.

"You sure you can finish all of that? Don't push yourself."she said, wiggling her finger at him like a mom. Her silver hair grazed her cheek and she smiled and blew a strand out of her eye, only to have it fall right back in front of it.

"Just shrimp would be fine enough for me, but I'm always willing to try out new things, I guess. Speaking of new things, what made you attack me like that? You could've seriously hurt me, you know."she said in a mock feared voice. But when the sentence left, Kaline realized how true it actually was. She was in a bad way with him and it hurt her to know that Jack would play such a crude trick on her, just to reveal his new found strength. Kali looked down with her one exposed golden eye at the bare table and said nothing more, placing a single hand on the table as she continued to think about the sparring.

Jack chuckled, and prepared to reassure Kali. "I think all my training makes me a little hungrier. I'm supposed to eat smaller amounts over the course of a day so I can keep agile and ready to move. But, I'm probably not gonna have to fight again soon, and I may still need your help eating it…"

Kaline proceeded to state her interest in regular shrimp, and then questioning his attack on her. He took a deep breath, and looked her in the *eye* and began to speak, quickly finding the words.

"I had to gauge your strength, Kaline." Said Jack "There's a new Power Level Type measurement system that will be used on fighters later called 'Kyoudo.' We rank about 2,000 currently, and some of the highest fighters I've heard of are near, or are, 10,000. I needed to compare your power to theirs."

Kali listened to Jack as the waiter came in to set down there drinks. She felt as if she had been drinking water for months, so she asked for a Root Beer instead. When the cups finally came she grabbed her straw and waved sweetly at the waiter. He bowed and went off to tend to the food that was being cooked. Kali sipped at her soda through the straw. Jack's new insight was intriguing. Power levels were being set in the tournament? That was different than how things went last year, not that she joined that one either. His reasons for attacking seemed good enough, but still. She could still feel the strain in her arms.

"I honestly have no intentions of joining this year's Martial Arts Tournament. It seems a lot more interesting to watch than to participate, at least from my view. I'd rather learn the ways of other people instead of possibly getting my ass kicked in the ring. You on the other hand, you could do it. Win? I don't know about all of that but you'd put up one hell of a fight."she said. She made sure to leave out the part about power levels out. It seemed to touchy of a subject to hint on so she left it at that, sipping out of her straw once more.

"Since my appetite is so big right now, I'd be glad to help you eat. If...if you don't mind."she finished, looking down at the table with her hand still on it with a slight blush. I hope he doesn't think I'm a fat ass or anythi--Look at me! Concerned about what he thinks...what the hell is going on with me?

"Sure. But you should reconsider joining the tournament: You're still very good. Truth is, no one could escape my Napalm Stretch. And it was one of my most basic techniques!"

Jack sipped a Root Beer of his own, as the food came over, and Jack rubbed his hands, and began to get his utensils, and begin eating. At first he was nearly about to act sloppy, but then he quickly stopped himself, hoping Kali wouldn't be offended, as he kept to his food, taking a few moments before each time he took a bite incase Kali wanted to talk.

"Kali, another reason why you need to join the tournament is the Tag-Team Segment: I honestly have no one else I can work with, and I feel you can help me achieve a super move my grandfather learned from his friend, Kamehame…"

"Tag Team Segments. The two of us fighting together."she said allowed, stabbing her fork into a grilled shrimp and bringing it to her lips gingerly. The taste was absolutely amazing! It was smoked and grilled to perfection and was also marinated in a soft buttered and lemon sauce. Kali found her cheeks turning red in joy as she popped another small strength into her mouth.

"That seems fun and all and the two of us combined could be something amazing. I...I suppose we could do it."she said with a shrug. I mean why not? He is good and I am just as good. We could win this thing together. Kali paused before the fork could reach her lips before she stopped and looked up to Jack slowly. He was eating just as slowly and watching her the same way. Together? Kali felt her cheeks darken some more and she cleared her throat, not wanting to make the situation any more awkward than it had already gotten.

"Ah, yes."she said silently. She didn't know what else to say. Jack was starting to get inside her head and emotions and Kali feared that if she opened her mouth again, she'd say something she would probably regret.

"Awesome! :D" Went Jack. "I'll come up with a team name and everything. :O you just leave it to me! I'll even make up some tag team moves for the both of us. And if we train hard enough, perhaps you and I could use 'Muscle Docking.' We'd kick ass if we mastered that technique~!"

Jack began to ramble on more about the tournament, and what he and Kali could do, as if he were planning a life together for the both of them, the tag team seeming much like couple rather than just close friends...

"…And We could have awesome costumes that'll make the fans love us! and…and…we could totally…" he drifted off about something again.

This kid...she thought while she chuckled at Jack's rambling. It was good to finally enjoy herself for once. Her life at the gym was always hardcore. Hardcore bench presses. Hardcore boxing. Hardcore basketball. Hardcore running. Kali felt as if she did anything less in the gym she wouldn't be who she was now. However, she didn't want her life at the gym to be the only life she had. She was still 100% female: she liked movies just like anyone else, enjoys walking in parks, likes to go out to eat from time to time. Everyone else treated her as if she were some mechanical robotic fighting machine. Kali was much more than all that, and the only person who was taking their time to notice was Jack. His sentence trailed off and Kali blew her bang away from her eye again only to have it float back down.

"Please don't tell me you're thinking of some theme song for us. I mean, the uniforms are enough without having to add cheesy music in the background. If you do, I'm picking it. I don't trust your taste in music."she joked while she popped another shrimp into her mouth. The dinner was fading fast and she got about 3 refills of root beer, thankful that her bladder was under control. Kali spent the rest of the time listening to Jack's ramblings. She held a small smile on her face while she watched his expression go from excited to calm to something in between the two, she didn't know! She just laughed along.

"That was delicious, Jack. Thanks for bringing me here."she said when she finally laid her fork beside her empty. Kali didn't want to prolong the thanking so she left it at that, watching him as he finished the remnants of his food also.

"D'awwww…. D: but I had the coolest songs in mind. XD" He chuckled. "Our outfits aren't gonna be anything too restrictive either. Just keep it flashy, but effective, like a leotard, perhaps? it doesn't have to be like those gymnastics ones, you can totally get a tough looking one, trust me, I saw some girls in the baddest outfits ever once during my time away!"

Jack nodded at her thanks. "Anytime! :D"

"You're actually serious about this."she said more as a statement than a question. The idea was not the worst thing she had ever heard in her life. He was good but he was going to need practice and a lot of it. The tournament was an event that gathers some if not all of the strongest people around the town into one arena to show and flaunt their skills. The town knew Kali well enough to consider her a threat, but she was still a girl. Her breasts weren't made of steel and she would have hell to pay if any of their moves came into contact with them. Jack, on the other hand, had skills that he hadn't even tapped into yet. They would underestimate him just by his sheer size when he entered.

"It's going to be one hell of a show, I'll tell you that much. Weird outfits or not, we make a strange pair."she said, sipping the last remnants of her root beer until the glass was empty. She looked over to her right to see the moon shimmering through the windows. It was getting later than she had expected it to get. Where had the day gone?

"Thanks again, but I should probably get home now."she said with a smile.

Jack nodded. Like, fast. He was completely serious, but the boy was rather innocent to the idea of fighters who could probably be smacked with a 2x4 and treat it like a piece of cardboard, considering he was one of those people, maybe even beyond that. He nodded again, normally though, at the second thing, going 'yeah, true.' No matter how they looked at it, there would have been something odd about this tag team.

Then Kali said she had to go home. Jack was like 'D:' but quickly smiled, the sad look on his face a mere joke, as he gave the girl a pat on the back, and lightly moved her in the direction she was going.

"True. You're gonna need some sleep…In fact, how about we take the day off from exercise tomorrow? betray our diets a little, watch some TV, that sort of thing."