ABSOLUTE POTENTIAL

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tis cool. With the start if a new arc it's a good time to join in.

Name:
YaoBan Wong (Anglicized as Jacob)

Nicknames:
N/A

Alias:
The Stamp (Planned Alter Ego)

Birthday:
December 27th, 1995 (18 years old)

Height:
5'10"

Weight:
145 lbs.

Hair Color:
Black (Natural)

Eye Color:
Black

Appearance:
13954996341286.jpeg
Most would describe Jacob's style as either being super fashionable or extremely unfashionable. He likes to purposely make himself look messy so that it looks as if everything were done in a rush, but was actually made on intention. Jacob's hair is usually worn short and combed upward. He dresses in whatever feels comfortable to him which is usually warm clothing, though thanks to California weather, he will often shed his thick coat before putting it back on when the sun goes down. Jacob also possesses no casual sneakers; only a pair of loafers, and a few pairs of runners.

Abilities:
  • Sound Stamping: Jacob is capable of manifesting noise through stamps which he can put on solid surfaces. At first glance, it would make Jacob an expert DJ without even requiring a DJ setup, capable of creating and looping any sound Jacob needs. Except, Jacob is not a very good musician- he's an aspiring physicist. The sound stamps are capable of emulating any sound Jacob has heard and loops it for up to half an hour before fading away (the stamp and the noise). The looped sample, however, cannot be longer than ten minutes (so if he were to say, play Echoes by Pink Floyd, he'd have to use several different samples). On the bright side, Jacob is capable of modifying the pitch and volume of the sample for whatever reasons he may require. Further limitations include that Jacob can only use five stamps at a time, and that Jacob must touch the object in order to put a stamp on it. The stamp itself manifests by default as two eighth notes and varies in size depending on its surface, though Jacob is capable of changing the appearance of the stamp. The surface MUST be solid.
  • Onomatopoeia Manipulation (Planned Power): Jacob also has a subset of his sound stamping which works in air and water. In this form, Jacob stores the sound and is capable of producing letters in the air representative of the noise in a nigh comic bookesque manner. These letters are the stored sounds of previous actions, such as the SWISH of a knife. The letters mimic the object they were constructed from, and in the case of a knife, would likely cut something. Like in his sound stamping ability, Jacob must have already heard the noise in order to be recreated. In addition, words that cannot be described with onomatopoeia are also incapable of being recreated. In addition, When Jacob uses a word, he briefly forgets it, effectively keeping him from recreating the same effect twice in a row.
Despite having sound based powers, Jacob has no actual immunity to sound based attacks and can in fact be affected by his own powers.​

Sample Post:
Jacob sat alone by the window of his favorite tea station at a small table with only one chair which faced the outside. Ontop of the table was his laptop, which Jacob appeared to be vigorously scrolling and clicking on while inhaling his drink. On the seat across him, there was a neat stack of empty disposable plastic cups, a bit of ice and tapioca balls still resting at the bottom. Jacob had no time to pay attention- he was too busy cramming.

If there were two things that made Jacob's life especially hard, they were: mom, and dad. In his past, he didn't really socialize much. When college started, he did even less so. Occasionally, he'd wander off to various places until he'd find a place with wifi. He'd then open up his laptop. Most people referred to him as being studious, staring down his computer screen.

Most of the time, Jacob actually was studying. Other times, he'd just pirate foreign television shows, using other people's wifi because the school's policies would get him expelled for doing such a thing. At the moment he sat there, inhaling his boba, Jacob was studying; but he was also a notorious multitasker. He neglected only one part of his surroundings

Everyone in the building was staring at him.

"What the hell are you doing here!?" a woman asked him with a stage whisper. She was thin and had long black hair with pale skin, wearing an appron under her normal street cloths; the appron featured the logo of the shop as well as a nametag with the name "Christine" written on it. Obviously, she was a worker. Less obvious was that she was Jacob's childhood friend. They met in Elementary School after Jacob moved to the US from China.

In spite of Christine's violent shaking, Jacob did not respond. He simply sipped his drink and stared at the screen. Then slowly, his pupils rolled over to meet the girl. He didn't speak. He only glared as the petite woman continued to man handle.

"Get out of my shop!" she complained.

"On what grounds?" Jacob answered, returning his focus to the computer screen.

Christine was red, by that point she was trying to lift the boy off of his chair. Of course, he was a little too heavy. Then after a good half hour, Jacob made a small smile before closing his laptop and getting off his seat.

The boy left the restaurant, laptop in hand with the stack of cups still laying there.

"What a jerk" the girl remarked.

Jacob turned back, blushed, then continued on his way out. He didn't need somebody ruining his mood- the next day, he had the opportunity to test out their university's own Particle Accelerator in hopes he could get in a lot of notes.

Alright so I can't fault you on your writing, it's up to par with only the occasional spelling mistake but neither the sample nor the powers overly make sense to me. For starters, the sample gives no justification for why he was kicked out of the tea shop. The powers on the other hand range from bizarre to slightly OP.

While you have given limitations, the Onomatopoeia still could be used to make say an explosion sound and well we all know what sort of chaos that would unleash. The sound stamping on the other hand I don't see the purpose or practicality behind.

Alright so I can't fault you on your writing, it's up to par with only the occasional spelling mistake but neither the sample nor the powers overly make sense to me. For starters, the sample gives no justification for why he was kicked out of the tea shop. The powers on the other hand range from bizarre to slightly OP.

While you have given limitations, the Onomatopoeia still could be used to make say an explosion sound and well we all know what sort of chaos that would unleash. The sound stamping on the other hand I don't see the purpose or practicality behind.

I'll see what I can do to fix my grammar for the rest of the RP. I'm actually quite excited to play this character due to the sheer amount of thought I put into him as opposed to some other characters.

That said, the logic behind his sound stamping powers was that not everybody gets to have super cool flashy powers. With all the other characters with cooler more practical powers, I intended on having The Stamp figure out how to use his own in a way that they could actually benefit him. Basically, life gave him lemons and he's going to try and make lemonade.

I edited Onomatopoeia Manipulation so that it works only on contact, and dissapears after contact. This way, even if he recreated a bomb, it would only work on one person.

Mass Effect, #4dffff
Name

Michael Darcy

Alias

Mass Effect

M

Birthday

11/16/1990

Height

5'11"

Weight

189lbs

Hair Colour

Brown

Eye Colour

Gray-Blue

Appearance

Image | Michael Darcy seems like a man from another era with a penchant for long trench-coats and classic fedoras which is something that is apparent as he walks a path that resembles a Humphrey Bogart or an Alan Ladd character which passes over into his work which has led him all over San Francisco. He doesn't slouch, shaves on occasion, and keeps his hair short to a point. His physique is fit which goes into his manner of occupation that deals with a lot of running, jumping, and sometimes hitting. Michael rarely smiles and when he does it's at the end of a sarcastic jab.

Abilities

Matter Manipulation – Michael Darcy wields the ability to directly manipulate and change individual matter for a temporary amount of time. As his powers allow him to change mass and volume there are a variety of applications that serve various purposes. Theoretically using his powers he can change his individual strength by making his personal matter more dense and heavy as well as make himself faster by doing the exact opposite; this also applies to items and other individuals as well. However as the power is straining and unnatural it of course takes much to change anything matter that is not his own especially when they have their own willpower to account for. With this to make note the core crux of Michael's matter manipulation is the fact he needs to physically touching the object he is manipulating in some way or form.

Healing Factor – Michael Darcy also wields a healing factor that approximately increases his body's immune system, metabolism, and of course his ability to recover from wounds quicker. However this is a minor ability that has emerged; he is not like the comic book characters of note who can get shot without tripping on his own wounds and ultimately his own life.

Sample Post

"You know how I like it."

Tonya Jones rolled her eyes at her most regular customer, a sort of disheveled man that was nearing his mid-twenties. In the last year she had taken to appreciating his service when he rolled up into her small coffee house a few months back following up on some sort of investigative lead and now here he was as her most regular customer. His name was Michael Darcy, he was a private investigator.

"Yeah, like dirt."

His reply was almost in a monotone as the lack of sleep became apparent in his movements and manners.

"That's right."

Tonya placed down the coffee—something she had set right as she noticed him entering her little coffee shop in the middle of Hunter's Point. She pondered about asking why he looked like he was straight out of a George Romero movie, but he didn't ever seem like a very lively individual; he was always very straight to the point without any bullshit. She liked that. She met way too many people who touted bullshit, she hated that. As he tossed down the money to account for the coffee she had given him she decided to give a slight remark on his appearance.

"Long night?"

"Two girls. Kidnapping." He stated as he took the first take of his coffee. "I've got a lead, not much else to say."

She had heard about that from a bit on the news about an hour ago. A ten year old girl named Alice Roberts was being watched by her fourteen year old babysitter named Paula Smith when they were taken from Alice's home. The police had reported a tussle; broken windows, knocked over furniture—and no real information from any witnesses outside of a black van speeding off after the noise was reported. Terrible stuff. He was on this case? Shouldn't the cops know if he had a lead? She'd ask him that.

"What about the cops? Have you told them?"

He shook his head, "Both families taken care of that already, but cops are sniffing up the wrong lead. Can't tell them what to do though."

"I see. Anything I can do to help?"

"More coffee." He stated as he slammed down another dollar fifty.

Mass Effect, #4dffff
Name

Michael Darcy

Alias

Mass Effect

M

Birthday

11/16/1990

Height

5'11"

Weight

189lbs

Hair Colour

Brown

Eye Colour

Gray-Blue

Appearance

Image | Michael Darcy seems like a man from another era with a penchant for long trench-coats and classic fedoras which is something that is apparent as he walks a path that resembles a Humphrey Bogart or an Alan Ladd character which passes over into his work which has led him all over San Francisco. He doesn't slouch, shaves on occasion, and keeps his hair short to a point. His physique is fit which goes into his manner of occupation that deals with a lot of running, jumping, and sometimes hitting. Michael rarely smiles and when he does it's at the end of a sarcastic jab.

Abilities

Matter Manipulation – Michael Darcy wields the ability to directly manipulate and change individual matter for a temporary amount of time. As his powers allow him to change mass and volume there are a variety of applications that serve various purposes. Theoretically using his powers he can change his individual strength by making his personal matter more dense and heavy as well as make himself faster by doing the exact opposite; this also applies to items and other individuals as well. However as the power is straining and unnatural it of course takes much to change anything matter that is not his own especially when they have their own willpower to account for. With this to make note the core crux of Michael's matter manipulation is the fact he needs to physically touching the object he is manipulating in some way or form.

Healing Factor – Michael Darcy also wields a healing factor that approximately increases his body's immune system, metabolism, and of course his ability to recover from wounds quicker. However this is a minor ability that has emerged; he is not like the comic book characters of note who can get shot without tripping on his own wounds and ultimately his own life.
Sample Post

"You know how I like it."

Tonya Jones rolled her eyes at her most regular customer, a sort of disheveled man that was nearing his mid-twenties. In the last year she had taken to appreciating his service when he rolled up into her small coffee house a few months back following up on some sort of investigative lead and now here he was as her most regular customer. His name was Michael Darcy, he was a private investigator.

"Yeah, like dirt."

His reply was almost in a monotone as the lack of sleep became apparent in his movements and manners.

"That's right."

Tonya placed down the coffee—something she had set right as she noticed him entering her little coffee shop in the middle of Hunter's Point. She pondered about asking why he looked like he was straight out of a George Romero movie, but he didn't ever seem like a very lively individual; he was always very straight to the point without any bullshit. She liked that. She met way too many people who touted bullshit, she hated that. As he tossed down the money to account for the coffee she had given him she decided to give a slight remark on his appearance.

"Long night?"

"Two girls. Kidnapping." He stated as he took the first take of his coffee. "I've got a lead, not much else to say."

She had heard about that from a bit on the news about an hour ago. A ten year old girl named Alice Roberts was being watched by her fourteen year old babysitter named Paula Smith when they were taken from Alice's home. The police had reported a tussle; broken windows, knocked over furniture—and no real information from any witnesses outside of a black van speeding off after the noise was reported. Terrible stuff. He was on this case? Shouldn't the cops know if he had a lead? She'd ask him that.

"What about the cops? Have you told them?"

He shook his head, "Both families taken care of that already, but cops are sniffing up the wrong lead. Can't tell them what to do though."

"I see. Anything I can do to help?"

"More coffee." He stated as he slammed down another dollar fifty.

Wholeheartedly accepted. Looking forward to seeing how Mass Effect and SHIFT interact.

You know, if you didn't like my character you could have just said so... or is it me you didn't like ;_;

I know Gowi outside Iwaku.

I'm iffy on both you and your character however.

I know Gowi outside Iwaku.

I'm iffy on both you and your character however.

Oh. Alright. If I do get accepted, I'll try to not cause too much unwanted trouble. I hope I've left a good impression so far.

Oh. Alright. If I do get accepted, I'll try to not cause too much unwanted trouble. I hope I've left a good impression so far.

Tell you what, I'll accept you on a probationary status. Any drama in the OOC or weirdness in the IC and I'll give you a strike, three strikes and you're out. Easy enough to avoid and it gives you a chance to prove me wrong about you.

Tell you what, I'll accept you on a probationary status. Any drama in the OOC or weirdness in the IC and I'll give you a strike, three strikes and you're out. Easy enough to avoid and it gives you a chance to prove me wrong about you.

Great. What do you mean by weirdness?

Incorrenet posts, implausible decisions, etc. Stuff like that which leaves other players scratching their heads, like I mentioned with your sample. I believed your sample, while written well lacked some necessary components which would have allowed it to make sense. I saw no reason for your character to be kicked out fo the cafe or why the girl was so annoyed to see him.

Incorrenet posts, implausible decisions, etc. Stuff like that which leaves other players scratching their heads, like I mentioned with your sample. I believed your sample, while written well lacked some necessary components which would have allowed it to make sense. I saw no reason for your character to be kicked out fo the cafe or why the girl was so annoyed to see him.

Ah. That was a bit of a stylistic choice; a philosophy of mines is that you should always leave the audience wanting more. I can, however, change my style if that's what is required for this exact RP.

Ah. That was a bit of a stylistic choice; a philosophy of mines is that you should always leave the audience wanting more. I can, however, change my style if that's what is required for this exact RP.

I would highly advise against open ended samples in the future. As for their prescence in the RP, it all depends on the surrounding surface, there's a certain degree to which one can leave a post open.

I would highly advise against open ended samples in the future. As for their prescence in the RP, it all depends on the surrounding surface, there's a certain degree to which one can leave a post open.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I hope my latest post was up to standard.

Speaking of Absolute Potential, didn't you say you were going to try to mold it in a more linear direction? or was that just you spitballin'?

Partially spitballing but the idea behind SHIFT was to give the RP a clear short term goal to give it a more linear focus.

So with the SHIFT group will they forcibly take us in or something even if we coincide with the general population and blend in not causing a ruckus, or is this more like they want to "Deal with the problem" and get rid of us??

Depends on the power. Until They go into Justin's birth records and medical history, they come around to him and they've got nothing. He's whole? 'I work out, and I'm strong-willed so suck it any agents you have with mind-control.' He's not? 'Twins, brah.'

haha he has an interesting easy get-out-of-jail card there XD

Not so much a get-out-of-jail-free card as a plausible-deniability card.

Status
Not open for further replies.