Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soulserenity20

Original poster
23hum3r.png

• [dash=white]It has been winter for far too long now. The world was not built for stagnancy. Without change, there can be no future.
    You are that change.
    You must bring about the shifting of the seasons. [/dash]

• Map in Spoiler
    [spoili]
    28ioktc.png
    [/spoili]

w0mi37.png

You never knew this world. It was always just a part of a story you heard as a child: a world where the seasons no longer changed and for an eternity, Winter maintained its hold on the land. This world was said to be beautiful, but dangerous, for it loomed in a delicate balance, like a set of scales, ever-nearing its tipping point. Stagnancy is not the stuff of life. A world can only stay frozen for so long.

You awake from a dream in a world you never knew. The cold air swirls around you and silently, snowflakes drift down from the sky, kissing your chilled skin before melting away. The sky is dark but for the dancing lights that dazzle the skyscape. The stars are outshone by these lights of blue and purple. The beauty is entangling, but something within you demands you look away. All around, you see a white blanket of snow and hear nothing but the gently breeze. Where are you? You do not know this world of Winter.

It becomes quickly apparent that you are far from home. Are you alone? With some searching, you come to discover there are others, more like you that are lost, unsure of this strange, beautiful place. You come together, one of you noticing a strange creature leaping about in the distance. It looks to be a deer of sorts, but it is larger than any you've ever seen and its coat is white as the snowy landscape, its antlers are made of ice, and its eyes are a cool, purple.

Together with the others, you decide teamwork is the best chance at survival. But none of you are sure how you got here or where you must go. And so, as a team, you venture out into this wintry world, seeking answers and seeking shelter. If you can survive, you may find yourself caught up in a magical adventure.

Welcome, to the World of Winter.
    talaau.png

• 34r8xg6.png

SURVIVAL
    This roleplay will be an unpredictable adventure filled with curious opportunities driven by chance. I will be rolling dice consistently throughout to determine encounters and sub-adventures you will come across in the main plot. Your characters will be your own, but I will be giving you situations where your character fails or succeeds at certain actions and you must react accordingly. Like survival in the real world wilds, nothing is certain, you will face a number of difficult decisions; this is all a part of the survival experience.

MAGICK AND COMPANIONS
    Two key features in this roleplay will be the bestowal of a magical ability and a companion or familiar from the world of Winter. You will not be able to choose either of these. They will be given out at various times as the plot progresses. If you are not mature enough to be okay with the unexpected and extended equailty (not everyone will have a power at the exact same time, not everyone will get a companion at the same time, but everyone will get one) then I fear this roleplay is not for you. A key aspect of any great adventure is the unexpected. This roleplay will be based around how your characters respond to the world and you will not have the same OOC power you would have in other roleplays. That is the point of this RP.

FORMAL RULES
    +Do not complain about your ability or companion. I will take generic requests at the start of the RP but the surprise is the nature of the roleplay.+
    +Be mature, communicate, and be kind.+
    +Posting requirement is once per week, sometimes once per two weeks. My roleplays are long term. We all have vastly different schedules and so a week to two week long window helps ensure everyone has ample time to post. We'll aim for movement in the plot once a week.+
    +COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR GM. I'm patient as hell but I do expect effort.+
    +I EXPECT GOOD WRITING. You'll be PM'd by me if I don't accept your writing level. Poor writing makes it harder for your GM's and harder for your fellow players. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is.+

• eiqo8o.png

Name:
    Hometown: (real world locations)

Personality in 5 words:
    Descriptive Personality:
    History:

Strengths: (Character traits like leadership, intelligence, etc)
    Skills: (physical abilities, hiking, hunting, cooking, riding, etc.)
    Weaknesses: (mental and physical weaknesses, like fears, inability to run long distances, etc.)

NOTE: I'm a tough GM. Don't even try to give me a traumatized 17 year old that has mastered martial arts and swordsmanship and comes from the army and can ride a horse professionally and was abused and abandoned as a child and left in the streets and still has perfect linguistic skills, no coping issues, and happens to also be handsome, athletic, and charismatic. I will shut you down immediately.

THIS IS AN INTEREST CHECK BUT FEEL FREE TO CLAIM A SPOT FOR YOUR CHARACTER AND START BUILDING A CS. I ONLY NEED 4 PLAYERS TO GET THIS MOVING. I WILL CLOSE SIGNUPS WHEN WE HAVE 8 PLAYERS.

Thank you all for your interest. I am sincerely grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this dice system. I suppose we'll all get a good idea of how it works once the game gets started and we begin to have events. If kinks need to be worked out, I think we can do it. :)

The thing with new or homemade systems is that they never work perfectly or for all situations XD But we'll see how it goes this weekend in the IC :)

Reverend gave me a really great idea for the system. He brought up: So if I get a successful attack, what then? Is it dead? What does it mean?

So he suggested that I do a hit requirement for each category. I think it's a good idea and it'll look like this:

1-5=Easy (one man can handle it) (Requires 1 successful hit)
6-10=Average (requires at least 2 chars) (requires 2 successful hits)
11-15=Hard (requires at least 4 chars) (Requires 4 hits)
16-20=Impossible (Fucking run.)

This would only apply to combat, so this is really a minor change. It allows for either each required player to hit once each and beat the foe, but it also allows for one character to hit multiple times to make up for fails by the other chars.

Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: Shambles
Hmm.. I am not really fond of stat systems to a point such the one you just presented? I feel that you should rather have rolls on how difficult it is and that's it.

How 16-20 is impossible and one has to just bail out. How you bail out? What you do in order to gtfo there, should be left to the player. As long as it makes sense, one can create an interesting ways to go on about that.

Same for the easiest rolls, for example.

1-5. Its easy, and thats all we should know, and that one person can handle it. Therefore, that player should go about creating a post that'll make sense based on the roll. So he can still use his creativity and end the fight in a way that'll make it look easy, and on par with the roll he made with the dice.

The amount of hits the target needs to be dealt in order to incapacitate or render them useless, or well, defeat them, should be upto the player and his/her creativity when making a post. Again, if its a from 1 to 5 then it'll have to look easy in their post. How they make it look easy and realistic like the roll they made.. That is entirely up to them.

stat systems to a point such the one you just presented?
I'm afraid you'll have to be clearer. There are no stats anywhere on here. There are very general ranges (easy, medium, hard) but no actual stats. It doesn't matter if I roll a 1 or a 5, it's still easy. Can you clarify what you mean by "stats?"

How 16-20 is impossible and one has to just bail out.
Some things simply cannot be done, like a character jumping a 30 foot chasm.

How you bail out?
That's completely up to you.
What you do in order to gtfo there, should be left to the player.
It IS left to the player. The success roll only tells you if you get hurt or not.
Its easy, and thats all we should know,
That IS all you know.
So he can still use his creativity and end the fight in a way that'll make it look easy, and on par with the roll he made with the dice.
Yes that's exactly the point of the system.

All my system does is tell me what kind of foe to make (easy, medium, or hard) and then tells the player if they can handle it alone or with a pal. The success roll just tells you if you have to try to attack again or if you got the hit. How you play that out is up to you.
The amount of hits the target needs to be dealt in order to incapacitate or render them useless, or well, defeat them, should be upto the player and his/her creativity when making a post.
This is definitely a matter of opinion. I've set guidelines. If you hit the baby dire bear cub once, you can finish the battle OR you can keep going but you need to roll for success. The roll is what makes it realistic. Just because your char wants to do something it doesn't mean it will always work out as planned. This created a direct urge for player creative responses to unpredictable circumstances.

Again, if its a from 1 to 5 then it'll have to look easy in their post. How they make it look easy and realistic like the roll they made.. That is entirely up to them.
Again, that's exactly what the system does/allows. Its minor guidelines but allows for a large amount of creativity.

EX:
Sophia faces a baby dire bear club with Adeana. Sophia has a success roll. (Well, I do). So I decide to write that she attacked the cub with a large icicle and does enough damage to send it skittering away, kill it, OR, as a player I have the freedom to drag on the battle. Or I could choose not to fight it at all and instead I can roll to flee. Whether I get away unscathed or not is a matter of the success roll. Say I fail the success roll: I still get away but I get hurt. It's up to me as a player to decide what that injury is.

I think you've misinterpreted the system :)

The required hit creates a universal standard that requires no moderation from the GM. If you want to set the hit limit, Mowkie and I will have to discuss each time if we agree to your suggested level of hits and it essentially just creates more work for us as opposed to a premade system that serves the same purpose, removes only a small amount of creative freedom (sets a minimum but not a maximum) , but does so with autonomy.

Hmm.. I am not really fond of stat systems to a point such the one you just presented? I feel that you should rather have rolls on how difficult it is and that's it.

How 16-20 is impossible and one has to just bail out. How you bail out? What you do in order to gtfo there, should be left to the player. As long as it makes sense, one can create an interesting ways to go on about that.

Same for the easiest rolls, for example.

1-5. Its easy, and thats all we should know, and that one person can handle it. Therefore, that player should go about creating a post that'll make sense based on the roll. So he can still use his creativity and end the fight in a way that'll make it look easy, and on par with the roll he made with the dice.

The amount of hits the target needs to be dealt in order to incapacitate or render them useless, or well, defeat them, should be upto the player and his/her creativity when making a post. Again, if its a from 1 to 5 then it'll have to look easy in their post. How they make it look easy and realistic like the roll they made.. That is entirely up to them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you want in a system seems to be exactly what is listed here. There are no stats per say, just difficulty levels. Everything is up to the player except how difficult the situation is. Just like life.. lol. We can't choose our situation. We just have to deal with it in the way that we can. I think there's just been some miscommunication here.

I realize it may not be as clear as I intended XD I posted a condensed version in the IC under the dice tab, but it might be easiest to wait and just see how things work in the IC before making any solid claims. I'm sure I'll find aspects of it that aren't perfect and I'll have to tweak as we go but for now I think its a good starting place

Reactions: Shambles
Yeah, I should have rephrased it differently. I see no stats systems. Dont know why I said that.

And alrighty. thanks for the info.

[fieldbox='Olafur Einarsson, green, solid']

[BCOLOR=transparent]Age: 33[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Gender: Male[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hometown: Hella, Iceland[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Occupation: Sheep & Cattle Rancher[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Personality:[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Hard-working[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: Naturally, as a farmer, the notion of slacking off was never a realistic one. By nature and by a lifetime of habit, Olafur works his hardest.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Caring[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: Having spent his entire life caring for animals, it's easy to transfer the trait to a general outlook. He naturally seeks to nurture and care for others, be they human or animal.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Relaxed[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: Life has been good to Olafur. An upbringing free of stress and a firm set of coping mechanisms instilled into him by his parents have made for a calm, laid back man.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Committed[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: There is something shameful about starting something and abandoning it before completion. Olafur takes care to ensure he never leaves a task unfinished.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Humble[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]: Nature is the most humbling force in existence. Building your entire livelihood around it gives you an overwhelming sense of your place in the universe.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]History:[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Olafur grew up in a sheep herding family with a single older brother and two loving parents. He grew up to one day follow in their footsteps, though his brother, 4 years older, would choose a very different path. Olafur finished high school and went on to attain a degree in agriculture from [/BCOLOR]Hvanneyri Agricultural University College[BCOLOR=transparent] before returning to work on his parent's farm again. When he graduated his brother was beginning his 6th year of law school in Reykjavik, only visiting occasionally. Olafur worked with his parents, learning the trade first hand, until he was 25 at which time he purchased his own lot of land, a few kilometers away, and started up his own farm, diversifying into cattle. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]His closest friend was his dog, Fenrir, though he remained in close contact with his parents and the other farmers in the area. His love life had sparked a few times in the past but nothing serious has ever come to fruition. His personality is a direct result of his upbringing and strongly reflects the values his parents held in the highest regard. His skills are practical ones, as learned from a life on the farm, and his weaknesses reflect the nature of his work: years spent growing up in a small agricultural community, more time spent with the land and animals than people. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]After waking up in a strange world, his first thought was one of fear as he realized nobody was tending to his farm. Surely, his parents would check in and do what they could, but the idea of additional responsibility placed on them only fuelled his concern. This constant concern over his property and family back in the real world is the cause of a level of absent-mindedness in the present.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Strengths:[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Independent: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Having spent a lifetime on a farm, where you may not see anyone including those you live with save for at breakfast and dinner, this strength is a given. Not that teamwork isn't essential, Olafur definitely assists the neighbours when he can and receives gestures in kind, but the overwhelming majority of tasks are completed alone… spectated only by a couple dozen sheep perhaps. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Dedicated:[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] An upbringing on a farm is one that instills dedication at an early age. Having hundreds of animals' lives rest in your hands is one way to inspire undivided attention. Olafur grew up recognizing that the food on his plate was literally a direct result of a family's hard and dedicated work and that no other job lets you live amongst and witness the true majesty of life and nature. This is what creates a dedication for the life he leads and a life filled with dedication.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Resourceful: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]As any farmer would know it always seems like you never have the right tool for the completely random catastrophes faced on a daily basis. 9 times out of 10 Duct Tape will not actually solve the problem. Half the time it was left under the tractor seat for a decade and the glue doesn't stick anyways or it was left in the sun for 3 weeks and the glues melted right out of it. What it comes down to is you always have to find something else that works whether it's by your own design or drawing from the resources nature provides. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Skills:[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Animal husbandry: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Breeding and caring for animals/livestock is the lifeblood of any farm. The continuity of your livelihood depends on your ability to breed animals for the appropriate traits you wish to have in your animals and to care for them so they may be healthy enough to breed and have offspring. This vital skill is an absolute necessity and one well honed over many years of mentorship and hands on experience. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Butchering: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]A yearly endeavour, once quota is met, butchering for personal meat supplies commences, typically 3-4 mature sheep and half a beef. Capable of skinning, gutting, and preparing any virtually any cut of meat, as well as the preservation of that meat, is a skill he never thought he would need for survival, at least not in this sense.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Animal anatomy: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Having some understanding of anatomy goes hand in hand with caring for animals and providing medical attention in emergencies. There is generally a veterinarian on call in a few neighbouring towns so there is no need for comprehensive understanding, though butchering requires knowledge of muscle groups and organs and their functions. Overall, he is confident in his proficiency with basic animal first aid.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Physically fit: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Walking several kilometers and lifting heavy objects, whether machinery or animals, on the daily will keep you quite lean and strong. He won't be falling behind any time soon.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Weaknesses:[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Absent Minded: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Having had all his daily responsibilities removed completely, suddenly, without any warning, his mind is often preoccupied with concern for the farm, his animals, and beloved Fenrir. He worries for his family, who would be equally concerned for him, and what kind of trouble his sudden disappearance would cause. Who would they call when they needed assistance? [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Fear of heights: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]An entire life spent on the ground, climbing only the occasional ladder, where the farthest fall is rarely more than a couple meters makes for an uneasiness with heights. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Social difficulties: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Olafur's social circle is rather small. Coming from a small farming community and rarely dealing with anyone outside the nearest farms and markets. Of course going to post secondary school was a bit of an eye opener he took his studies very seriously, rarely indulging in campus social events.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Shoulder injury: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]An incident with an old cow several years ago left Olafur with a torn muscle in his left shoulder. While physiotherapy managed to return his joint to near perfect function, when overworked his left shoulder begins to ache and strength quickly declines. Lifting heavy objects above shoulder height has become more difficult since the injury.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Single Mindedness: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]His dedicated and committed character makes multi-tasking difficult. Too many tasks at once causes frustration and a feeling that none of the tasks can be completed and completed properly. [/BCOLOR]

[/fieldbox]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Soulserenity20
But if I get an easy roll against a target. Can't I hit it three times successfully? Because you said 1 successful hit required if its an easy roll, but thats the bare minimum needed to take out the target?

Can't I hit it three times successfully? Because you said 1 successful hit required if its an easy roll, but thats the bare minimum needed to take out the target?
It is the bare minimum because not all players like spending a lot of time in combat. If you want to give it more required hits, go ahead. But you cannot lessen the hits and you must roll a success roll each time and write accordingly :)

Oh. I do have to add one more rule to the dice system (sorry! ) : if a post is deleted the roll is immediately a fail roll. There's no reason to delete a post. If you make a mistake and roll two dice, the first one gets used. If you roll a dice with only 19 sides, roll another. You don't have to delete it. There is no reason to delete a post except to cheat so just don't delete your dice posts. I don't care if you delete other posts, but if we're in the middle of a roll, please don't. This is the only way to ensure fairness :) thanks guys.

Lol, why did I stop receiving alerts?
Anyways! I'm back o.o
So I missed the dice system which I'm indifferent about

Anddddddd is the IC posted?

Lol, why did I stop receiving alerts?
Anyways! I'm back o.o
So I missed the dice system which I'm indifferent about

Anddddddd is the IC posted?
Lol I'm afraid you'll need to contribute more input than simply stating your indifference for it to be of any constructive value. The ic is up, feel free to post. The map in the ic shows where the Chars have all found themselves. Mowkie set the scene. Everyone is generally near each other

I will try to get a post in today. I need to work on a few character sheets, but it depends on which inspiration strikes first. Know what I mean? You'll have my post no later than tomorrow evening if worse comes to worst.

• Love
Reactions: Soulserenity20
Ahaha @Soulserenity20 i didn't mean to be rude about it :p I'm just really indifferent about it since I never did any dice roll roleplays and I'm not a big fan of the idea. Sooo I'll try it out and see how it goes. Then maybe after I'll comment on it but I'd doubt it haha

So, just to make sure... Everyone woke up with the same exact things they had on them including purses and stuff like that? What about cellphones?

So, just to make sure... Everyone woke up with the same exact things they had on them including purses and stuff like that? What about cellphones?
Just like, whatever was on your person. Not what was being held or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.