• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soulserenity20

Original poster
23hum3r.png

• [dash=white]It has been winter for far too long now. The world was not built for stagnancy. Without change, there can be no future.
    You are that change.
    You must bring about the shifting of the seasons. [/dash]

• Map in Spoiler
    [spoili]
    28ioktc.png
    [/spoili]

w0mi37.png

You never knew this world. It was always just a part of a story you heard as a child: a world where the seasons no longer changed and for an eternity, Winter maintained its hold on the land. This world was said to be beautiful, but dangerous, for it loomed in a delicate balance, like a set of scales, ever-nearing its tipping point. Stagnancy is not the stuff of life. A world can only stay frozen for so long.

You awake from a dream in a world you never knew. The cold air swirls around you and silently, snowflakes drift down from the sky, kissing your chilled skin before melting away. The sky is dark but for the dancing lights that dazzle the skyscape. The stars are outshone by these lights of blue and purple. The beauty is entangling, but something within you demands you look away. All around, you see a white blanket of snow and hear nothing but the gently breeze. Where are you? You do not know this world of Winter.

It becomes quickly apparent that you are far from home. Are you alone? With some searching, you come to discover there are others, more like you that are lost, unsure of this strange, beautiful place. You come together, one of you noticing a strange creature leaping about in the distance. It looks to be a deer of sorts, but it is larger than any you've ever seen and its coat is white as the snowy landscape, its antlers are made of ice, and its eyes are a cool, purple.

Together with the others, you decide teamwork is the best chance at survival. But none of you are sure how you got here or where you must go. And so, as a team, you venture out into this wintry world, seeking answers and seeking shelter. If you can survive, you may find yourself caught up in a magical adventure.

Welcome, to the World of Winter.
    talaau.png

• 34r8xg6.png

SURVIVAL
    This roleplay will be an unpredictable adventure filled with curious opportunities driven by chance. I will be rolling dice consistently throughout to determine encounters and sub-adventures you will come across in the main plot. Your characters will be your own, but I will be giving you situations where your character fails or succeeds at certain actions and you must react accordingly. Like survival in the real world wilds, nothing is certain, you will face a number of difficult decisions; this is all a part of the survival experience.

MAGICK AND COMPANIONS
    Two key features in this roleplay will be the bestowal of a magical ability and a companion or familiar from the world of Winter. You will not be able to choose either of these. They will be given out at various times as the plot progresses. If you are not mature enough to be okay with the unexpected and extended equailty (not everyone will have a power at the exact same time, not everyone will get a companion at the same time, but everyone will get one) then I fear this roleplay is not for you. A key aspect of any great adventure is the unexpected. This roleplay will be based around how your characters respond to the world and you will not have the same OOC power you would have in other roleplays. That is the point of this RP.

FORMAL RULES
    +Do not complain about your ability or companion. I will take generic requests at the start of the RP but the surprise is the nature of the roleplay.+
    +Be mature, communicate, and be kind.+
    +Posting requirement is once per week, sometimes once per two weeks. My roleplays are long term. We all have vastly different schedules and so a week to two week long window helps ensure everyone has ample time to post. We'll aim for movement in the plot once a week.+
    +COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR GM. I'm patient as hell but I do expect effort.+
    +I EXPECT GOOD WRITING. You'll be PM'd by me if I don't accept your writing level. Poor writing makes it harder for your GM's and harder for your fellow players. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is.+

• eiqo8o.png

Name:
    Hometown: (real world locations)

Personality in 5 words:
    Descriptive Personality:
    History:

Strengths: (Character traits like leadership, intelligence, etc)
    Skills: (physical abilities, hiking, hunting, cooking, riding, etc.)
    Weaknesses: (mental and physical weaknesses, like fears, inability to run long distances, etc.)

NOTE: I'm a tough GM. Don't even try to give me a traumatized 17 year old that has mastered martial arts and swordsmanship and comes from the army and can ride a horse professionally and was abused and abandoned as a child and left in the streets and still has perfect linguistic skills, no coping issues, and happens to also be handsome, athletic, and charismatic. I will shut you down immediately.

THIS IS AN INTEREST CHECK BUT FEEL FREE TO CLAIM A SPOT FOR YOUR CHARACTER AND START BUILDING A CS. I ONLY NEED 4 PLAYERS TO GET THIS MOVING. I WILL CLOSE SIGNUPS WHEN WE HAVE 8 PLAYERS.

Thank you all for your interest. I am sincerely grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright. History is done.

Here is the link. > BY INVITATION ONLY - A World of Winter [OOC]

Please read the history, while listening to this.

Upto you really, but..Get into his history peeps.. Poor Robert.
Plot twist. She isn't really dead. The city is covering it up because she's important to them somehow.

That's what I'm telling myself and you are not allowed to tell me otherwise.

Plot twist. She isn't really dead. The city is covering it up because she's important to them somehow.

That's what I'm telling myself and you are not allowed to tell me otherwise.
I dont know.. I'd like to believe this.. Robert would like to believe that this is all a nightmare..

@Cait your char looks good. She's accepted.
@Akashi I still need a history for your char
@PlastixRoyalty I need you to try and resort your strengths and skills because I'm seeing a lot of strengths that are more physical skills, like acting, poker face, etc. Ask yourself if this is a learned skill or a personality trait. One can be naturally stoic but acting isn't typically a character trait. It's something she would have learned and developed as a skill. So just have a once over on there for the sake of organisation of the CS for your GM's.

I have to scrutinize this because there isn't any form of travel written into her history and even with a high level of travel, at 29 its unlikely she would have learned 9 languages. I'd wager its impossible given her history. I have university professors who have spent time studying in dozens of countries with different languages and not any of them can fluently speak, read, and translate the languages of these countries. It's just unrealistic. Knock it down to maybe 2 languages and it'd be more believable but given her history it doesn't make sense (<30, half of her life [including development years and education years] spent in Hollywood, travelling not for the sake of tourism, study, or living in the regions but instead for acting roles, none of which are explained in her written history). Beyond that, I think you did a good job of balancing her skills, abilities, and weaknesses and really made her realistic based on how she grew up and the dynamics of her family, so good job :)

I would, as a last recommendation, remove the physically weak section. Even without severe muscle building, anyone with a lifetime of cardio would be strong, fit, and capable. Certainly not labelled as weak :)

@Bitterblue what kind of scientist is her father/what kind of science is she in to? Her ability to discern edible from non-edible plants is based on "yay science" but a chemist wouldn't know, nor would a biologist, necessarily. (2 years as a bio major and no clue which plants are edible.) It would take specific practice and studying of ecology for her to be able to discern edible and non-edible plants, not just the presence of science in her life. So I'd like for you to try and either rework it or establish a different skill to use.

I would also add in "collected" or "cool headed" since she was a cop and was trained to handle stressful and traumatic situations. She would also know first aid as a cop. I would consider adding in a trust issue based on the fact that she lost a family member completely randomly. That would likely instill a lot of uncertainty in her mind towards life in general, perhaps an uncertainty towards life in general: "We could all be dead in 5 minutes from now, all because of something as arbitrary as a mistake on someone else's end." You don't have to add it in, just something to consider.
Felix was a botanist, he would work on identifying new kinds of plants, and do a little siding to create new helpful ones.

I will do that. :)
Oh, and welcome Reverend of Steel!

Name:
Amalia Jäger
Hometown:
Cochem, Germany
[spoili]
decruisemaptwo.gif
[/spoili]

Police Officer

Personality in 5 words:
Sarcastic/Sassy, Kind, Intuitive, Mischievous, Curious
Descriptive Personality:

Amalia is a very sarcastic and witty person, very quick to make a joke (often on herself, as on others). She can be quite mischievous as well, sometimes stirring up trouble just to keep things interesting; or, if needed, playing the voice of logic needed in an illogical situation, when everyone is wanting to freak out. She comes off as a spunky, witty young woman most of the time.

However, she also has a very caring and loving side to her. She could never pass by anyone who needed help without at least trying to do something about it. She cares about people, no matter if they're mean or kind; she views them as human beings, and tries to treat them as such. This is a side she doesn't show to many people, especially if she doesn't know or trust you.

She would never intentionally do anything to put her loved ones in danger, or anyone (besides herself apparently) for that matter....but her curiosity often results in trouble. She can't help but poke her nose in situations where things tend to go wrong.

History:
Amalia doesn't much talk about her past, she prefers to look onward to the future, and how she can move forward. But, since you asked so nicely, she is willing to oblige you just this once.

Amalia was the first child born to Felix and Maya Jäger. Felix worked at the local tech industries as a scientist, and brought home enough money so the family could live comfortably. Maya was a stay at home mother to Amalia, and her brother Eric, born 6 years after Amalia.

Amalia grew up with the basic needs, never going without food, water, or shelter. Her parent's doted on her, and she quickly became a daddy's girl. By the age of 5, she would beg Felix to take her to work, so she could learn the science that daddy was so passionate about. Felix began to bring home little experiments for Amalia to do, and she couldn't be more joyous. It was this that drove her to try to enter the world of science, to become a scientist who learned the way things work, and why, and inventing things.

When Eric was born, Amalia was 6 years old; you couldn't see a more happy big sister. She fawned all over him, catered to his every need. She would read books to him, lay down next to his crib and read while he slept, and lavished him with her devotion. Felix and Maya couldn't be more proud.

When Amalia was 15, a car drove by their house and open fired for the longest 20 seconds of her life. Felix had yanked Amalia to safety, while Maya dove for Eric. After it had all ended, Felix and Amalia emerged to a horror story. Maya had been shot in the shoulder, and Eric...Amalia had screamed and ran to her brothers side, begging him to wake up as blood trickled out of the wound on his neck. Felix had to drag her away from him as the paramedics arrived. Maya survived after a short stay in the hospital, but Eric was pronounced dead on the scene.

Amalia was thoroughly devastated, her world had just been turned upside down. She shut down mentally despite Maya's coaxing and desperate attempts to bring her out of the depression, and Felix, the one man who could probably reach her, was not himself. He spent almost all of his time at work, and when he was home, he ignored his heartbroken daughter, his wife who needed him more than ever, and crashed on the couch, a bottle in his hand.

3 years after Eric's death, Amalia came out of her grief. Her father, a thorough drunk by now, had finally lost his job, and Maya was having trouble finding a job. I will avenge my brother. That thought drove Amalia to return to sanity. She had hesitantly approached her mother about becoming a police officer. Maya was shocked to not only have the daughter she had been trying to reach for 2 years, but also to have one bent on law enforcement instead of the science she had loved so much for 15 years. But she was fully behind her, supporting her all the way.

And so began Amalia's journey into law enforcement. She threw herself wholeheartedly into her studies. Once she was book smart, she got into shape with vigor. Once that was finished, she attended the academy, and graduated with full honors at the top of her class. Not only that, but she had also became very adept at the art of Krav Maga, and very knowledgeable in the use of multiple weapons (several types of firearms, and blades). She was 21 when she graduated.

The first thing she did was check on Eric's case's status. It had gone cold, not enough evidence to support it. There was no signature, no pattern, just random it seemed. She wouldn't accept that. She spent most of her off time for the better part of 2 years studying this case, and finally, FINALLY, there was a breakthrough. She rushed to her boss and slapped the file on his desk and let it all out in one breath. Breathing heavy, she met his eyes. After the chief read it he promised to look into it. A week later, he called her into his office. He told her personally, that her lead was right. She had found the killer. However, she would not be the one to bring him in. "You're too close to this. We need to do this by the law...that being said, you are to ride with Officer Dietrich, and observe the whole thing." Amalia nodded with cool collection.

As it turns out, there had been a mistake on the shooters part. They had shot up the wrong house. The intended target was a wealthy politician a few blocks down the street from the Jäger household. Imagine, thinking someone deliberately killed someone you love, and then finding out it was an accident? Still. It was murder. She saw her brothers killer, and she had brought him to justice at long last. She didn't know what to do now, but she had fallen in love with her career. She dedicated herself to her work, visited with mom, and she even got her father to rehab. One night, she had gone to bed not knowing that her world was about to change.

Strengths:
-Intelligent: Being an officer of the law requires being smart, and Amalia went above and beyond to do this. She is also very quick on her feet, very used to snap decisions. She trusts a lot in facts, but also relies on her gut.
-Cunning: She is street smart, she knows the way criminals act, and has to be very secretive, and very quick to catch them. She can manipulate people very easily to believe what she wants you to believe.
-Loving: She's not all rock hard, she does genuinely care about people. It's just harder for people to see, it can be tough love at times, but she does care.

-Collected/Cool headed: Being a cop, she is used to high stress situations. She knows how to keep herself together in a crisis and is able to make snap decisions.

Skills:
-Combat: She's good at hand to hand combat, her particular training was krave maga, which teaches you how to take on multiple assailants at once. You can do the research, I'm not going into detail here. She's also adept with several types of blades, multiple forms of firearms, and just her fists.
-Hiking: She loves to hike. Especially in the years since she finally avenged Eric. It's her stress relief, she can go for hours.

-First aid: She's a cop, she's trained to keep people alive at almost all cost. She's no doctor, but she can make a decent field medic.
I'm sure more will make themselves apparent in the IC.

Weaknesses:
-Stealth: She's not a very stealthy person, despite being small. She can take on a man larger than her easily, but don't ask her to do recon. She's clumsy as neck.
- Distrusting: This also, is thanks to her career. I'm In her line of work, she's seen people for within minutes of a wrong decision. She doesn't trust other people with her secrets, let alone her life. Not unless they've proven themselves to her. Having her brother suddenly ripped from you also made a huge difference. Are you really who you say you Are? Why should she trust you?
-Survival: She basically knows how to start a fire. That's it. She doesn't know how to hunt, how to build a shelter, nothing of the sort. She'd die, if left on her own.
@Soulserenity20 , is this better?

I'll try and go through all your changes tonight, Akashi and Bitter :)

FML, the IC is up, and I haven't even finished my char. Damn life and all that gets in the way! I'll try to finish up tomorrow, but if I don't, hubs has Friday off to watch Simi...so other than an appointment with my ortho doc, I should be golden!

Yay, mommy wrist!

*grumbles and huddles under pillow mountain*

Name:
Amalia Jäger
Hometown:
Cochem, Germany
[spoili]
decruisemaptwo.gif
[/spoili]

Police Officer

Personality in 5 words:
Sarcastic/Sassy, Kind, Intuitive, Mischievous, Curious
Descriptive Personality:

Amalia is a very sarcastic and witty person, very quick to make a joke (often on herself, as on others). She can be quite mischievous as well, sometimes stirring up trouble just to keep things interesting; or, if needed, playing the voice of logic needed in an illogical situation, when everyone is wanting to freak out. She comes off as a spunky, witty young woman most of the time.

However, she also has a very caring and loving side to her. She could never pass by anyone who needed help without at least trying to do something about it. She cares about people, no matter if they're mean or kind; she views them as human beings, and tries to treat them as such. This is a side she doesn't show to many people, especially if she doesn't know or trust you.

She would never intentionally do anything to put her loved ones in danger, or anyone (besides herself apparently) for that matter....but her curiosity often results in trouble. She can't help but poke her nose in situations where things tend to go wrong.

History:
Amalia doesn't much talk about her past, she prefers to look onward to the future, and how she can move forward. But, since you asked so nicely, she is willing to oblige you just this once.

Amalia was the first child born to Felix and Maya Jäger. Felix worked at the local tech industries as a scientist, and brought home enough money so the family could live comfortably. Maya was a stay at home mother to Amalia, and her brother Eric, born 6 years after Amalia.

Amalia grew up with the basic needs, never going without food, water, or shelter. Her parent's doted on her, and she quickly became a daddy's girl. By the age of 5, she would beg Felix to take her to work, so she could learn the science that daddy was so passionate about. Felix began to bring home little experiments for Amalia to do, and she couldn't be more joyous. It was this that drove her to try to enter the world of science, to become a scientist who learned the way things work, and why, and inventing things.

When Eric was born, Amalia was 6 years old; you couldn't see a more happy big sister. She fawned all over him, catered to his every need. She would read books to him, lay down next to his crib and read while he slept, and lavished him with her devotion. Felix and Maya couldn't be more proud.

When Amalia was 15, a car drove by their house and open fired for the longest 20 seconds of her life. Felix had yanked Amalia to safety, while Maya dove for Eric. After it had all ended, Felix and Amalia emerged to a horror story. Maya had been shot in the shoulder, and Eric...Amalia had screamed and ran to her brothers side, begging him to wake up as blood trickled out of the wound on his neck. Felix had to drag her away from him as the paramedics arrived. Maya survived after a short stay in the hospital, but Eric was pronounced dead on the scene.

Amalia was thoroughly devastated, her world had just been turned upside down. She shut down mentally despite Maya's coaxing and desperate attempts to bring her out of the depression, and Felix, the one man who could probably reach her, was not himself. He spent almost all of his time at work, and when he was home, he ignored his heartbroken daughter, his wife who needed him more than ever, and crashed on the couch, a bottle in his hand.

3 years after Eric's death, Amalia came out of her grief. Her father, a thorough drunk by now, had finally lost his job, and Maya was having trouble finding a job. I will avenge my brother. That thought drove Amalia to return to sanity. She had hesitantly approached her mother about becoming a police officer. Maya was shocked to not only have the daughter she had been trying to reach for 2 years, but also to have one bent on law enforcement instead of the science she had loved so much for 15 years. But she was fully behind her, supporting her all the way.

And so began Amalia's journey into law enforcement. She threw herself wholeheartedly into her studies. Once she was book smart, she got into shape with vigor. Once that was finished, she attended the academy, and graduated with full honors at the top of her class. Not only that, but she had also became very adept at the art of Krav Maga, and very knowledgeable in the use of multiple weapons (several types of firearms, and blades). She was 21 when she graduated.

The first thing she did was check on Eric's case's status. It had gone cold, not enough evidence to support it. There was no signature, no pattern, just random it seemed. She wouldn't accept that. She spent most of her off time for the better part of 2 years studying this case, and finally, FINALLY, there was a breakthrough. She rushed to her boss and slapped the file on his desk and let it all out in one breath. Breathing heavy, she met his eyes. After the chief read it he promised to look into it. A week later, he called her into his office. He told her personally, that her lead was right. She had found the killer. However, she would not be the one to bring him in. "You're too close to this. We need to do this by the law...that being said, you are to ride with Officer Dietrich, and observe the whole thing." Amalia nodded with cool collection.

As it turns out, there had been a mistake on the shooters part. They had shot up the wrong house. The intended target was a wealthy politician a few blocks down the street from the Jäger household. Imagine, thinking someone deliberately killed someone you love, and then finding out it was an accident? Still. It was murder. She saw her brothers killer, and she had brought him to justice at long last. She didn't know what to do now, but she had fallen in love with her career. She dedicated herself to her work, visited with mom, and she even got her father to rehab. One night, she had gone to bed not knowing that her world was about to change.

Strengths:
-Intelligent: Being an officer of the law requires being smart, and Amalia went above and beyond to do this. She is also very quick on her feet, very used to snap decisions. She trusts a lot in facts, but also relies on her gut.
-Cunning: She is street smart, she knows the way criminals act, and has to be very secretive, and very quick to catch them. She can manipulate people very easily to believe what she wants you to believe.
-Loving: She's not all rock hard, she does genuinely care about people. It's just harder for people to see, it can be tough love at times, but she does care.
- Protective: She she is very protective of those she cares about, or anyONE who is placed under her care (whether she trusts them or not, she will do her best to keep them alive.)

-Collected/Cool headed: Being a cop, she is used to high stress situations. She knows how to keep herself together in a crisis and is able to make snap decisions.

Skills:
-Combat: She's good at hand to hand combat, her particular training was krave maga, which teaches you how to take on multiple assailants at once. You can do the research, I'm not going into detail here. She's also adept with several types of blades, multiple forms of firearms, and just her fists.
-Hiking: She loves to hike. Especially in the years since she finally avenged Eric. It's her stress relief, she can go for days on end. On her leave time, she packs a bag, and sleeps under the stars next to her campfire. She knows basic survival skills, how to start a fire and build a basic shelter.

-First aid: She's a cop, she's trained to keep people alive at almost all cost. She's no doctor, but she can make a decent field medic.
I'm sure more will make themselves apparent in the IC.

Weaknesses:
-Stealth: She's not a very stealthy person, despite being small. She can take on a man larger than her easily, but don't ask her to do recon. She's clumsy as neck.
- Distrusting: This also, is th a ks to her career. I'm In her line of work, she's seen people for within minutes of a wrong decision. She doesn't trust other people with her secrets, let alone her life. Not unless they've proven themselves to her.

-Hunting/Foraging: She doesn't know how to hunt, since she can't be quiet in her movements very well, and she doesn't know which plants are which. She knows how to build a shelter, and start a fire, that's it.
- Resentment: She holds a grudge, and doesn't forgive easily.
@Soulserenity20 , I changed a little bit with the skills and weaknesses. I noticed a kind of opposite, she can't go hiking without just a basic knowledge of survival, so I edited it.

@Soulserenity20 , I changed a little bit with the skills and weaknesses. I noticed a kind of opposite, she can't go hiking without just a basic knowledge of survival, so I edited it.
Well that's not true. I have family members that hike a lot and don't know a thing about survival. You can spend your whole life only hiking on popular tourist trails in tourist locations :)

Well that's not true. I have family members that hike a lot and don't know a thing about survival. You can spend your whole life only hiking on popular tourist trails in tourist locations :)
She is in Germany, hiking in the mountains and all. Just in case things go wrong.

Okay, since @Reverend of Steel joined late and everyone else's CS's are done, Mowkie is going to start the IC tomorrow. After she posts, everyone can respond. Reverend will likely have his CS done by tonight or tomorrow and it'll be accepted upon posting since he has the benefit of living with the GM. I'm looking forward to get things moving.

A few notes:

There will be no posting order. This is because if two people are out gathering firewood and chatting or falling into a snow trap, it's realistic for them to post back and forth while others might be less active because, maybe their char is sleeping. As such, we require a level of discretion from players. You should all be capable of determining if anyone is getting left behind for reasons that you may be partially responsible for.

Dice system:

Combat:

Combat will initiate with a GM post labelled as "COMBAT EVENT"

The GM will roll a d20 to determine how hard the foe is to beat.
1-5= Easy (one man can handle it)
6-10=Average (Requires at least 2 chars)
11-15=Hard (Requires at least 4 chars to beat)
16-20=Impossible (Escape necessary)

Once we roll that, we'll pick an identity for the foe. So, say I roll a 4, I might decide it's going to be an angry buck trying to get you out of its territory. Or maybe I roll a 11, and its suddenly a horde of snow boars trying to maul you. The post will look like this:

COMBAT EVENT
ROLL: 9
FOE: Rabid Dire Bear Cub
SCENARIO:
While out collecting firewood you stumble across an adorable baby bear. Upon approaching it, you are received with violent biting and aggressive snarling. The bear is young but even as a cub, a dire bear is about the size of a large hound. It won't leave you be and as you back away, it gives chase.​
So now your job is to deal with the bear cub. You have only 2 restrictions: success or failure to attack or defend (if you fight it, you must roll 11-20 to successfully perform that action. Its a simple 50/50. If you fail, you have to write a response like "She moved in for the kill but snagged her foot on a buried tree root and fell."
This isn't the end of the battle, you just have to try again. You'll always have a 50/50 chance of completing a combat move, for the sake of simplicity. It doesn't say anything about your char's skill, rather it makes it more realistic in terms of varied factors like weather, environment, weapon stability, animal response, etc
If you do not meet the requirements for the battle, you must flee. If it's an 11 and you're alone? Run. Your roll won't determine if you successfully flee or not, rather it will determine if you get injured or not as you flee. So, say you roll a 7, you still get away but you have a cut or a scrape or a broken bone. It's up to you which one. If you roll a 12, you get away unharmed.

NATURAL DISASTER

A natural disaster event is anything the natural world can do to harm you that doesn't include an animate foe. So, a severe storm, a hole in the ground, a tree falling, a cliff, a waterfall, or anything else.

The roll uses the same dynamics.

1-5=Mild Harm
6-10=Moderate harm
11-15= Severe harm
15-20=Not survivable, flee.

So, it'll look like this:
NATURAL DISASTER EVENT
ROLL: 11
SOURCE: Snow Storm
SCENARIO:
You notice the weather is beginning to pick up and within a few minutes, a massive storm is whipping up. If you don't do something, it may kill you.​
So if its a "Not survivable" event, like, a really bad storm? You have to basically have your character back track and get out of there. Since we roll before we identify it, we won't make you fall down a cliff you can't survive. Instead, we'd say "The only way to go is along a ledge that is certain to send you falling to your death. You must go back."
We won't kill you.
Now, the same success or fail roll applies. You must roll 11-20 to successfully avoid the storm, in this case. If you fail, you will sustain severe harm before getting into your shelter or whatever it may be. If you roll 1-10, you get to safety, but not without damage.

SO:
1-10=Escape the storm unharmed
11-20=Escape the storm harmed

DISCOVERY EVENT

A discovery event tells us that you found something. This follows a similar pattern:

1-5=Useless
6-10=Mildly Useful
11-15=Very Useful
16-20=Life Changing

However, we would also roll a positive or negative roll to determine if it's super useful for your survival or super useful for killing you.

1-10=Beneficial
11-20=Detrimental

We use our discretion to decide if its a place or a thing.

Example:
DISCOVERY EVENT
ROLL: 20
EFFECT: BENEFICIAL (4)
IDENITITY:
A recently abandoned town filled with empty houses full of food, water, and all the supplies you could need to survive for months.
Now, just because you got this roll once, it doesn't mean a later discovery roll won't end up with you having to defend that town against a horde of angry wild-folk. There is no success roll for discoveries. Your responses will be purely creative and moderated by the GM's will.

So the nature of this method of rolling is to create a system of undpredictability in the roleplay to make things feel realistic.

I need your feedback! Please give feedback. This will be synthesized into a condensed version for a tab in the IC thread.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how to ask this question without sounding disrespectful, but I'm not trying to be, so I'm sorry if it sounds like It!
But it sounds like this system limits our creativity on how we respond to certain events. How do I creatively have Amalia react to, say, a 6 in combat, but she's alone? I didn't quite understand what you meant by the dice system, I understood it wrong I should say.

So, if she has a 6, it means she can't beat the thing alone. She can:

*try and defeat it, ultimately failing*
*get help from someone else*
*flee*

When they get their companions, they'll be able to take on all foes from 1-10 alone because their "second person" is their companion. I'm not sure if it limits creativity, since in a real situation it doesn't matter how creative you are, a single person can't really defeat a pack of wolves alone.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bitterblue
And don't worry about sounding disrespectful, because you don't. This has to make sense to you and work with you to be a successful system. :) Im trying to balance forcing a character to respond to a certain situation, and allowing for creativity. But I can't always promise that there will be situations where they can do anything but flee. Like if a path is literally just impossible to cross.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bitterblue
And worst case scenario, we give it a try and tweak it as we go :)

• Love
Reactions: Shambles
The idea is amazing and in some situations there is only the option to say "fuck it" and run xD. Soul has the right idea.

Alrighty. I'm out of town tomorrow, but will bring my computer with, to see if I can respond after Mowkie!
Also, I'll only be able to post every few days, as I dont have internet at home and writing a post on my phone is a royal pain in the rear.

Alrighty. I'm out of town tomorrow, but will bring my computer with, to see if I can respond after Mowkie!
Also, I'll only be able to post every few days, as I dont have internet at home and writing a post on my phone is a royal pain in the rear.
That's just fine :) posting requirement is only 1 time per week

So, if she has a 6, it means she can't beat the thing alone. She can:

*try and defeat it, ultimately failing*
*get help from someone *
*flee*
See, this is where I was confused, I thought you meant we had no choice to even try to defeat them, but I understand now. :)

Reactions: Soulserenity20
As usual, Soul hits the mark with this dice stuff. I say bravo!

I should be on sometime tomorrow afternoon to get a post up. Take it easy on me if you can, though, as I'm stuck with a spica splint on my right hand until at least the 15th, and after a while of activity, it makes my fingers go numb. Hopefully, my intro post is pretty, though. <3 I look forward to playing with all of you.

Reactions: Shambles
Status
Not open for further replies.