A Wolf Among The Sheep

"Still... you should at least try again. Tell him that not everyone can work as tirelessly as he does." Luana reiterated, feeling the tension creep back into her body as they neared the edges of the pack's huts again. She didn't doubt for a second that the whispers and rumours had died away whilst they had gone for their walk, but she knew she couldn't hide away forever. "He... he does get things... sometimes."

Luana knew that from experience too. She could remember when they first got together and they had to get through moments together. The kidnappings. The interrogation. He had listened to what she had to say and accepted it when she was right.

However she wondered how much of that was because she was his mate. It definitely hadn't been because he saw her as his equal, as that was part of the reason why she left in the first place. The reminder caused her to frown lightly, head dropping so her gaze dropped to the floor as they walked, momentarily lost in thought.

"Hm? Oh, yeah well... you ain't seen what she's been like. We keep havin' to explain that we ain't on... the best of terms in ways a near-on two-year old would understand. Then she keeps demandin' we just apologise like I've told her to do when she's hurt someone." She snorted softly, shaking her head in amusement, "So when she went an' said those things today... it just felt like she was seein' me as the villain everyone else sees me as, y'know? It just... got to me more than it ought to've."

She stopped alongside Daisy, shoulders having tightened considerably now they were on the edge of the pack. Her instincts screamed at her to get away from the threat members of the pack now posed, but that dominant, alpha intuition forced her to stay put with her head high.

Luana exhaled heavily, glancing away from the bodies that moved around the fire pit and back to Daisy, forcing another smile to her lips, "If only I'd known that two years ago, ey?" She replied nonchalantly, acting as if the fact didn't pain her. Reaching out, she gently patted Daisy's shoulder before moving to step past her, "Talk to him... later. He might listen this time. Or just demand it enough times until he agrees just to get you to be quiet, that works for me sometimes." She smirked to end on a lighter note.

Finally, she left, heading towards the hut to see if Anders and Ronan had already left for fishing.

When his brother stormed out of the hut, Anders had wanted to head on after him in the effort to get him to calm down so they could all enjoy a day together; so their kids could interact with their parents both being present at the same time. It was something he wanted for Teddy, to give her the memory of having both him and Ronan present and enjoying a day out together, so he could only imagine Tate wanted the same, especially when he and Luana weren't an item so these moments of being present together were even more important for Tala.

Yet, he couldn't see any chance of that peace when Luana moved to head after him, the man unable to anticipate anything other than arguments, hurt and ultimately, the destruction of the plans he had set for the day.

As much as he wanted to head after them to ensure hurtful words weren't uttered in the heat of the moment that they found difficult to return from when tensions had simmered, he reluctantly stayed present in the hut to reassure Tala that everything was okay; that her parents weren't arguing but were simply having a little disagreement that would be sorted out in a few minutes. He couldn't be sure of that himself, not when knowing how stubborn his older brother could be, but he could hardly tell his niece that; he had to instil some hope in her, rather than make her aware of how bleak things could be with her parents if the anger continued to exist between them.

What he didn't expect was for Tate to make a return to the hut before Luana - and even then, he certainly didn't foresee him meekly apologising for his actions and taking the time to reassure Tala that everything was fine; that he had messed up and hadn't meant to yell at anyone, especially not her mother. Anders would have thought that his brother would be stewing in anger for the rest of the day, far too stubborn to make the first move to apologise, and yet here he was.

Tate knew he needed to apologise and ensure his daughter wasn't upset as soon as he possibly could, even if he had agreed to spend the day away from Luana and take time out to consider what they were to one another - but he couldn't spend his time thinking about it when thoughts of his daughter being upset (and him being the catalyst for it) plagued him instead.

Besides, he didn't need the whole day to know what Luana meant to him.

It was why he didn't head out as soon as she returned, having decided already that he knew what his answer for her was - so why spend the day alone when he could be forming some memories with his daughter? Memories he wanted Luana to be a part of.

"...I figured I'd come along. I wanna teach her to fish an'-- y'know, it'd be nice for her to have us both there, right?" He began casually as he moved to sit back on the chair, having made the most of the time until then to play around with Tala. He waited for a moment or two for Anders to focus his attention back on brushing Teddy's hair and neatly plaiting the strands before continuing to talk, his voice lower and quieter just to avoid the others overhearing him.

"Didn't need the whole day to figure out stuff anyway. I got my answer - I, uh... me being here ought t' tell you what that answer is, Lu. We can talk about it later, I just... I know what I feel ain't just 'cos the bond's there. But, uh-- let's just talk about it later, I ain't gonna let myself get teary-eyed right now."

She had hesitated in the doorway upon seeing Tate already inside the hut. It hadn't exactly been a sight she thought she would see, given their conversation not half hour ago. She remained static as her gaze skipped from her former mate, to Anders, to Ronan and then back again, her hand still pressed against the door to keep it open for her. His words seemed to be the undoing of her frozen form, as Luana reluctantly took a few steps into the hut as he spoke, nodding dumbly at his rhetorical question.

She moved slowly towards the table and chairs he was sat by, taking a seat herself. Perhaps it was dramatic to think this way, but it all felt very surreal. Luana rather felt as though one abrupt or hasty move would disrupt whatever illusion or dream she was in the middle of. Perhaps she had been hit harder than anticipated, and was actually knocked out cold or something. Now that would be cruel, to wake up and find her and Tate's argument and his confession had all been a figment of her imagination.

"T-Tala, why not go ask Uncle Anders reaaaal nicely an' see if he can do your hair like Cousin Teddy's?" Luana murmured to their daughter, who, just as every suspected, had returned to normal and had seemed to have forgotten the earlier words she spoke. The toddler had come to stand between Luana's legs, a toy held in hand and back resting against the edge of the chair.

The toddler nodded to her mother's suggested, excited at the prospect of looking like her cousin, and bounded over to the male in question. Meanwhile, Luana took a moment to suck in a breath before finally looking to Tate.

An awkwardness settled over her. Worse than even the first time they realised they were mates and all she could do was say 'hi'. This time, she had no idea what to say to him in response. He said he didn't want to talk about it now, but it was all Luana wanted to discuss. She wanted to make sure that he knew that this was what he wanted, afraid still that he would regret his decision later down the line. She wanted to check he had considered everything, especially the repercussions it may have on him with the pack.

"I-- I'm bein' selfish... tellin' you I still love you an' want you when you're with someone else an' you were happy." She finally spoke, keeping her own voice low too. Her eyes darted back and forth between his and her hands in her lap, "I-I know I'm goin' be... earnin' every inch of your trust back a-an' their respect too. B-But I do just... I wanna make sure you're sure. The l-last thin' I wanna be doin' for you, Tate, after everythin' is-- is makin' more trouble. I-- don't wanna be makin' your life harder or more miserable. You bein' happy is-- is all I want, even if it ain't with me, y'understand?"

Swallowing thickly, she finally looked up to him properly, gaze latching onto his, "H-have you... Leah. Does she...?"

The admission wasn't easy for him. Not because he didn't feel everything he said and didn't fully trust his gut when it came to what he wanted in life (which, he finally realised, was to be with Luana in spite of her hurtful two-year absence) but because he wasn't the best at open confessions of love and care. He undoubtedly felt those things for her but the easiness of admitting it wasn't evident in him because it was always difficult to expose those vulnerabilities; it always had been even before she left.

He had to work hard to allow himself to be vulnerable and after feeling betrayed by her, it was inevitably something he would just have to start working on again. Trust had to be rebuilt, as she said, but he was willing to give her that opportunity - just as much as he hoped she would allow him to make up for his mistakes too, because he knew he wasn't innocent.

His stubbornness, his lack of trust in her, his refusal to treat her as his equal despite acknowledging her as such... all had led to her leaving in the first place and he was keen on making a change to prevent her doing so again. It wasn't an easy path to take and a long road probably awaited them but if it helped prevent the mistakes they had made in their past, he was ready and willing to give it all a go.

"Hey, I... get that, Lu. But I ain't gon' be happy without 'ya. You piss me off an' you really know how to get me heated 'cos you know what winds me up, but you're also-- you know, you're you. And I love that, I love you, so... we can work on trust, we can work on my faults, we can do all that shit. If something's worth fightin' for, I'll fight with every fibre of my being an' I just reckon we got somethin' special that's gotta be fought for 'cos when it works, it's... fantastic, ain't it?" He encouraged as gently as he could, aware that even speaking a little above his current tone would cause their personal conversation to be overheard. He had no qualms in admitting he loved Luana and wanted to get things back on track with her as soon as he could... but he didn't want to start flaunting his reunion with his mate when it would be a slap in the face to Leah who deserved much better than that.

The mention of his girlfriend (or rather, ex-girlfriend now) caused him to slump down in the chair a little, his face contorting in response- not with regret but with guilt at having had to see her pain at their abrupt breakup. To her, it probably felt like it had come out of nowhere and seeing her pain mingling with confusion and desperation had been horrible. She had helped him when he was at his lowest, been patient when he snapped at her in anger at Luana's departure... and he could understand that she probably felt pushed aside the moment she was no longer needed, even if the truth was a bit more complex than that.

"She, uh... she's in the hut. Said she needs some space which I get. It don't feel great hurtin' her 'cos she's... a great person, been there for me when I needed her, but she just... she isn't you, Luana. I want you."

Luana nodded as he spoke of Leah, averting her gaze as she briefly reflected on the difficult situation he must have been in when breaking up with Leah. She fidgeted in her seat for a moment, uncomfortable now that it had happened, since she was the reason why. She had prepared herself for the complete opposite of this talk; it hadn't been something she had been expecting and thus had readied herself for the hurt and anguish the ultimate end to their time together would bring.

Now, instead, she felt guilt and incredibly selfish. Luana would never regret telling Tate how she still - and would forever - felt about him, that she wanted him and loved him and wanted to raise their daughter together as mates, rather than as distant co-parents. However, she wondered if she should have just walked away after that. He wouldn't have been in anguish. Leah wouldn't have been hurt. And they wouldn't have to be facing the prospect of the pack despising the both of them together.

However, his words made her want nothing more than to just lean forward and press her forehead to his. She wanted to just simply be in his embrace, hold him and take in his scent which had long died away on her clothes when she first left. Hearing that he wanted to fight for her, for them, caused tears to well in her eyes.

But she knew she couldn't touch him, not just yet. Not just because she knew it would take time for his decision to be made known to the rest of the pack, but because she didn't want to touch him and realise the gesture was too much, too soon. So her hand slipped to her arm, the heel of her palm rubbing hard against the inside of her forearm just to give it something to do. Not as aggressive as her usual habit, at least.

"Thank you..." She drew her gaze back to him, watching him, "I-- Thank you... I... didn't really... expect to have this conversation s-so... yeah. I, uhm, well... you-- you know how I feel. I've not stopped goin' on about it since I came back. I mean I ultimately feel like a selfish bitch now, puttin' you through all this an' now with... with what you're goin' to have to face with the pack," she took a deep breath, moving her hand down to entwine her fingers together, "But I-- I will do everythin', an' anythin', I possibly can to... to make this work. For us. For Tala. For the pack. Anythin', I mean it. I-- I love you too much to let... thin's get that bad again."

She finally smiled, a weak and faint one, but a smile nonetheless. Just in time for Tala to come running over with her hair braided.

"Unc' An'ers was busy so told Unc' Ro to do hair. I'm just like Ted!" The toddler told her mother, beaming up at her. Luana chuckled softly, reaching down to pick their daughter up and place her on her lap, "You look wonderful, little bear." She murmured, planting a kiss on top of her head.

"Da said he fishin' too. Mumma... no come then?" Tala then asked, the tentative tone to the child's voice sending a pang through Luana's heart. However, she looked up to Tate with another faint smile, a hand rubbing softly at Tala's back, "No... Mumma an' Pa will be comin' today."

A squeal of delight rang through the cabin, and Tala began to bounce on Luana's lap. The noise caused Ronan to look up in surprise, blinking twice as he took in the scene at the table. He nudged Anders inconspicuously, nodding over to the two, as Luana chuckled and helped Tala scramble across to Tate's lap.

"We can talk about it properly later on if you fancied? I don't mind havin' a proper conversation about, y'know... you moving back an' when we tell the pack an' all of that. But we can face whatever they say together, Lu. You've always been their alpha, ever since we mated. They gotta start respectin' that 'cos I ain't letting 'em walk over you and treat you like crap, that ain't gonna happen. But we can... talk about it later," he promised, not wanting to dampen the energetic atmosphere the toddlers were creating by discussing the potential problems he and Luana would have to confront now they were back together after all the hurt, pain and anger caused by her return.

It was abrupt and their reunion had happened so soon after his outburst at her just days prior upon her arrival to the pack, but it shouldn't surprise anyone to see them get back together when his love for her had never disappeared. It had withdrew and his feelings temporarily distracted by Leah's presence in his life but that could never compare to what he felt for Luana, and he knew, deep down, his pack had always known that.

That didn't mean they would be happy with him for returning to the side of someone who had abandoned them without word of her well-being for two years, especially not when he was dumping someone like Leah who had only ever been devoted to him and loyal to the pack... but they were problems he would deal with with Luana, at her side; the place he knew he wanted to be regardless of the potential for disruption.

In the end, his pack would understand and things could get back to the way they had been. It would just take some time and dedication to achieve it.

Witnessing the scene of Tala excitedly celebrating the fact her parents would both be accompanying her for the day out in the woods ought to bring a smile to Anders' face, as it would do anyone's. This was Tala's first chance to have both her parents take her out for a fun day out; a sign of better things to come as a family.

But he couldn't celebrate it enthusiastically when the scene just made him feel... cautious. There was nothing he wanted more for Luana than a chance to be happy with Tate and Tala, but he just didn't trust his older brother to deliver on it. He had hurt Luana before she left two years ago with his refusal to fight for his relationship (something Anders could be accused of, though his situation with Ronan was more complicated than that) so there was every chance he would just withdraw from the fight when things became difficult again.

And Anders couldn't let Luana go through that all over again. He wouldn't intervene, not when it could all work out for the best, but he was far from being able to join in the delight when there was a lot he felt cautious and wary about.

"...Are we all ready to head out then? Gotta make the most of the daylight; the sun sets early this time of year," he reminded cheerfully as he reached for Teddy's hand, the little girl humming happily despite the faint pang of annoyance that hit her at knowing she couldn't also reach for Ronan's hand. She was smart enough to remember the secret she had sworn to keep about her fathers being together, even if she didn't understand why it had to be kept quiet - but she wanted to show them that she was grown up enough to take a secret seriously, hence her clinging to only Anders' hand.

"If you wanna grab the blankets, Lu? Just in case it gets cold, y'know."

"We definitely need to have a... a proper conversation about it." Luana agreed softly, eyes wandering over him as Tala made herself comfortable on his lap, hands running over her braids and looking very pleased with herself. There was a lot they would need to discuss. Tate was her mate, and Luana wanted nothing more than to be back with him... but her own pack was back home. Her parents expected her to lead once they stepped down, that much had been made clear. The pack back with her parents respected her, would follow her everywhere and anywhere, after she had proven herself time and time again in her training and organisation she had helped implement. She and Tate would need to figure something out, and that was the catalyst behind her leaving in the first place.

Then there was this pack. They hated her, no longer respected her, and clearly felt that their alpha deserved better. There would be pushback, regarding Tate's decision, and Luana knew they would need to hold firm against the tidal wave of grief they would undoubtedly receive. However, there was also the case of the group that came after her the night before. Now they were together again... it still didn't feel right to point fingers and name names. There was still the worry that the pack would think she was lying and defend those that hurt her, especially with no evidence and her word against theirs. Unless they had her clothes and towel stashed away somewhere, then how could she prove who the perpetrators were?

Her head turned at the sound of Anders' voice, lips having parted to continue speaking before being interrupted by her friend. Quickly, she gave him a smile and nodded, pushing herself to her feet.

"Have ya got everythin' else? Snacks, fishin' stuff... maybe even a towel or two if people decide to swim if we don't catch anythin'?" She inquired, moving away from Tala and Tate to grab the bundle of blankets near the fireplace.

Tala, meanwhile, finally lowered her hands from her braids and reached one up to pull on Tate's shirt, "Pig-back? Please?" She requested, eyes widening in a puppy-dog look to try and get her father to do what she wanted.

Luana looked over her shoulder and snorted at her daughter's antics, eyebrow raising in amusement as she tucked the blankets under her one arm, "Your Pa won't be a wolfie, Tala, so it ain't goin' be a wolfie piggy back." She warned the toddler as she stepped back towards the table.

Tala pouted, looking to her mother before returning her gaze to Tate, "Dat's okay." She sighed dramatically, before continuing, "Please Dada? Pig-back, pleeeeeeeeease?"

It felt wrong to look forward to a family day out in the woods when he had just hurt someone he cared deeply about, especially when the day out was besides the very person he had left Leah for, but Tate wasn't in a position to turn down the chance to spend time with his daughter. Admittedly, he also wanted to spend the day with Luana outside of the inevitably judgemental eyes of the pack who probably had a lot they wanted to say to him (or would do once the news broke) but he refused to feel guilty about it when it was the most natural thing in the world to want to spend the day with the person he loved.

The circumstances that morning weren't... ideal, but he knew through considering his feelings that he was always going to come back to Luana; it was just an inevitability that he was never going to avoid. When that was the case, wasn't it better for him to let Leah know now rather than string her along obliviously for days or weeks? Or even worse, leave her growing suspicious and paranoid over the stability of what they had if he continued to deny his feelings for Luana?

All things considered, however painful he knew Leah was feeling and however angered his pack might be, he was sure that he had done the right thing by ending it and focusing on Luana at this early stage: it gave more time for healing and understanding that he and Luana were -and always would be- meant to be.

Especially when it allowed him and Luana to be a united family for Tala.

"...Ah, how am I ever gonna say no to you? Course you can have a piggyback," he relented, the puppy-dog eyes and desperate whines convincing him all too easily. A piggyback was nothing and he would have given her one even without the attempts to convince him, but his inability to really say no to her would probably become a challenge later on in life if she wanted to explore and experience things he couldn't allow her to. For now, he was just happy the requests seemed fairly easy to agree to because he had no idea how to handle the more challenging, rebellious ones.

"I would have asked Sasha and Gio to come along with us, I'm sure they'd want a day out, but I also figured Gio needs to stay behind to keep an eye on things," murmured Anders as he reached for the nearby bag of snacks with his spare hand, swinging it over his arm with ease as he examined the sight of his brother easily lifting Tala onto his back. He didn't want his doubt over his brother to impact the day ahead, one that promised to be a slice of fun after so much pain and confrontation, but he couldn't just plaster a smile on his face when he didn't feel happy. He couldn't unless he was satisfied that Tate wouldn't mess things up, and right now, he wasn't at all sure of that.

"An' Daisy's busy an'... you ain't on good terms with Lyle or Chester so... guess it's just us for the day then. Which is fine, I'm sure we'll have fun, yeah?"

Luana watched on quietly with a faint smile on her mouth as Tala and Tate organised themselves into a piggyback. Of course it was something she had imagined witnessing ever since Tala was born, the illusion getting stronger with each month that passed and that brought her closer to being back in the pack and allowing her imaginings to become a reality.

However, her eyes momentarily flickered passed the two to land on Anders, whose expression had suddenly become difficult to read. The smile on her lips flickered and faded as she studied her best friend, uncertain as to what was going through his head. Briefly she wondered if it was simply a moment of sadness, because Tala could experience such things with both her parents out in the open while Teddy still had to hide the fact she had another wonderful parent. It would make perfect sense, and Luana couldn't think of what else it would be, not after he had been trying to keep her optimistic of her relationship with Tate getting back on track again.

She averted her gaze from him to the blankets under her arms, "Uh yeah-- yeah good idea. Let's get going then, hm?" A smile was forced back into place and she headed towards the door, pulling it open for everyone to walk through.

Ronan also hadn't missed the change in his mate's demeanour. He held two towels under his one arm and a bag of bait and the fishing rods in his other hand, willingly taking on more to carry since he knew he wouldn't be allowed to hold Teddy's hand... not yet anyway.

He frowned slightly, immediately concerned as to what was making his mate react in such a way. He too wouldn't expect Anders doubting of Tate, having heard the same words of hope he gave to Luana as the woman did. Only once Tate was exiting did he reach out to brush the back of his fingers against Anders' arm.

"Hey... are you... is everything okay?" He questioned, keeping his voice hushed. It was a quick ask, since he knew they needed to go, but he knew he couldn't leave without doing so. Anders was his mate, and if he thought there was something bothering the other, it would drive him nuts until he found out the truth.

Luana meanwhile watched on from the door, purposefully keeping her expression smiling as to not concern Tate and Tala outside.

"Has Dada been fishin' before? I never been, I's excited. Do you fink we catch any-tink today?" Tala asked her Pa as they waited outside, her little arms wrapped loosely around his neck but small legs tight around his sides, feet coming just beneath his chest.

"I don't trust him. He's stubborn, he doesn't just... drop everything to follow his feelings. It's too quick. I want them together, but this is-- it's too quick. He'll panic when the pack get on his back, he'll pull away from Lu and hurt her and..." Anders began to mumble under his breath once prodded to get whatever was off his chest, the words coming fast and quick in his relief to get the negative thoughts off his mind... even if speaking them aloud made them feel even more of a possibility.

He didn't want to be so negative when the moment didn't call for it and it countered his more renowned upbeat outlook on life, but he couldn't ignore the way he felt when there was a chance that his best friend would be hurt and the relationship he wanted for her could, once again, lie in tatters. He wanted to believe he was wrong and that when the time came to face the pack and their inevitable opinions on the reunion, Tate would stand strongly before them and defend his relationship without fault.

...He just didn't see it happening; not when he knew Tate lived to serve his pack and having them all against him for the first time in his years as alpha would be painful and difficult to handle. It was easier to see him backing down and hurting Luana than risking his pack losing their faith in him as leader, even if that was the move Anders was desperate for him not to make. The pack could regain their faith over time but there were only so many times Tate could fail to have faith in his relationship before Luana left again - possibly for good.

"I'm just... being dumb, ignore me," he finally smiled once pushing the worries to the back of his mind. However concerned he was, he could be proven wrong and Tate could easily defend his relationship despite the risks to his reputation - worrying about something that had yet to happen (and might not ever happen) was detrimental for him and for the day ahead.

With another reassuring smile, he ventured to catch up with the others, nodding briefly to Tate when the older brother sensed the approach and glanced his way to ensure he was alright. Convinced by Anders' casual smile, he nodded in return and focused on the walk out of the pack's boundaries, his smile only growing at his daughter's inquisitive nature.

"Y'know, I reckon we'll catch the biggest fish in the lake - an' if you're real good at it, we can make it a regular thing. I used to go fishin' with my Pa when I was your age an' he taught me, so I'm sure you'll follow in our footsteps, sweetheart," he lovingly quipped in response, the brief mention of his father and the memories of how the former alpha had taught him to fish in his childhood making him smile fondly. It was obviously difficult to talk about his father when the man had passed well before his time (as had Tate's mother too) but he had left Tate will plenty of fond memories to smile over - which was more of a reason to ensure he gave Tala the same happy childhood he had had, so she would always have those memories regardless what happened.

"An' when you get older, I'll take you huntin' - if your Mumma lets me. You're gonna need to learn how to, though - you're gonna lead this pack one day, Tala."

Ronan watched his mate carefully, only for the frown to deepen as the other voiced his concerns. Luana, not understanding that they were speaking of the awkward and second-attempt relationship between her and Tate, left the hut and quietly shut the door behind her, believing it to be a private matter between the two mates. She joined Tate and Tala outside, having smiled at Tala's question.

Meanwhile, Ronan had reached out to give his mate's arm a squeeze, having lowered the towels onto the table to do so. "You ain't being dumb. You're being a concerned friend. Besides, you know Tate better than any of us, bein' his brother an' all. Luana don't even know him that well, an' he's her mate. You've had years of sibling relationship, she's had two weeks of mate-life with him. If you're feelin' this way, it's for a reason."

The last thing Ronan wanted to do was invalidate his mate's feelings. He, like the other, only wanted to see Luana happy, but if what Anders said was true and Tate really did struggle with the disgruntled displeasure of the pack once they were informed of his decision to try again with Luana... he didn't want to see Luana go down her own pit of despair again. She had been brutal and ruthless in training the first time she left, and that was when she still had the belief she would return to Tate's side. Her habit had gotten worse after finding out about her pregnancy and the fear of what Tate would say or do became too much for her. And then there was how she behaved when they finally did arrive back. Withdrawn, uncertain of herself, bottling up her emotions. It hadn't been healthy.

"Whatever happens, we'll be there for her together, yeah? She'll have us, regardless of what those as-- idiots say about her." He smiled warmly, reaching up to press his hand to his mate's cheek before quickly taking it away again, not to mention catching his curse word before it slipped out for Teddy's sake.

After feeling like he did his best with his mate's concerns, he followed the other out of the hut to join the other fledgling family so they could all begin their walk to the best spot they could get for fishing.

Luana didn't say much during their venture out, more than happy to simply listen and experience a rare happy moment. The first where she and Tate weren't fighting or had tension between them. Of course, she felt awkward and unsure of how to act, since this was all new and it didn't feel right to simply slip right back into how they were before. So she stole glances across to father and daughter, kept her hands busy with holding the towels, and allowed a small space between them as they walked.

The mention of his father had Luana realising she didn't know anything about Tate's past. They did only have two weeks or so together as mates, and that was entirely taken up by the kidnappings, then finding her former pack, and all the drama that went with it. However, it only added to the guilt that Tate had just given up someone who probably knew everything about him, for someone who didn't even know his Ma and Pa's names.

"I 'ave two packs now. Mumma's and Dada's." Tala boasted proudly, despite not really understanding the real gravity behind the situation and what the role would mean. "I'm goin' be the bestest ever. I will, I really really will."

Luana looked away uncomfortably, eyes drifting over the surrounding area. She knew she had to have that conversation with Tate about the two packs. Tala had been brought up knowing she would have at least one pack to lead one day, Luana's. But the woman never really promised her Tate's pack, since she didn't know how her mate was going to react to having a daughter he had once made clear he never wanted. So for the girl to come out with that... Luana didn't know how to respond.

"When we catch da'fish, can we cook it? To eat?" Tala then requested, patting Tate's upper chest with her hand to ensure he was focusing on her, "I never done that before. You show me?"

Tate hadn't considered the fact that his daughter had the right to claim leadership of two packs, if only because it wasn't something he felt he ever had to think about. Luana might be desiring a conversation about the intricacies and potential difficulties in their daughter one day leading both packs considering the bad blood between the two separate camps (and even more generally, the logistical issues in bringing together two packs when it had never been done before) but Tate didn't hold such concerns.

Not when he just assumed Tala would lead the pack she had more of a right to lead and abandon the other one as a result.

She might have been born in Luana's pack but Tate hardly thought the link to lead it was all that strong; not when Luana had spent almost the entirety of her childhood and adolescence away from it, raised amongst humans in the now abandoned village nearby. Tate, meanwhile, had been born and raised in his pack - he wanted nothing more than for his own flesh and blood to prioritise her time leading it and it alone.

The idea of ever uniting with another pack he already had a deep disgust for just wasn't worth thinking about; not when he already knew he would fight until his dying breath to prevent it happening.

Fortunately, it was a non-issue for him at the moment, unable to take his daughter's words as anything other than childish babbles, the absurdity of them just making him smile. He didn't believe she would ever lead two packs (and he wouldn't ever let that happen when his own demanded prioritisation) so he could easily just smile at the words rather than take them at all seriously and ruin the family day out before it had even really happened.

"Mm, one day," he absently murmured in response, keeping hold of her legs as he ducked with ease to avoid a low tree branch. "The fish-- oh yeah, you bet. We're gonna cook it and have it for lunch, so we gotta catch at least one or two big ones. An' we got some snacks in case we only catch tiddlers-- either way, we'll have a nice picnic later, we ain't gonna go hungry."

He cast a quiet glance back at Luana upon realising she wasn't only near silent but keeping a few paces behind them. As much as he understood the awkwardness, he didn't enjoy it; not when this was a chance to escape the eyes of the pack and enjoy one another again, for the first time in two years, without anger and hurt.

"You wanna catch up to us, slowcoach? C'mon, stop dawdlin' back there, darlin'. Come an' tell your daughter how she's gonna catch the biggest fish in that river; I got a feelin' about it."

"We still eat the tid-- tid-- tid-ers though? Mumma-- Mumma says to not waste food." Tala responded, eager to lap up any information about her newest adventure that she could. Despite only being two, the toddler was inquisitive and curious, always pestering those adults she knew with questions about everything and anything she could think of.

"I love pic-nics. Tho' I-- I not been on many. Mumma says I-- I only got big 'nough to." She continued, head turning and eyes drinking in the new change of scenery. Too busy talking to her father, she didn't notice, unlike Tate, how her mother hung back slightly. Too occupied with the new sights and new smells, plus the prospect of a new skill to learn with some of her new family (Tate, Teddy and Anders) and those she already knew (Luana and Ronan).

Luana, meanwhile, looked around at the sound of Tate's voice, having been watching some of the birds through the trees as they flew after one another. Her cheeks flushed warm, though there wasn't a reason why to which Luana could pinpoint. Perhaps out of sheepishness, because he had just called her out on her behaviour. Or awkwardness because he had to actually tell her to walk alongside him and Tala, like an actual family would. Whatever the reason, Luana wasn't sure, but instead quickened her pace with a lowered gaze, to ensure she didn't get her footing caught on any roots or fallen branches.

Despite his decision, and him telling her of such, his playful demeanour would take a moment to get used to. Truth be told, Luana still was hesitant about getting her hopes up, but not for the same reasons as Anders. What Anders worried about hadn't even crossed Luana's mind. It was simply the mental barrier of knowing what had transpired with him over the past two years. He had told her to not blame herself, just as everyone else had done, but it would still be there, in the back of her mind. Not to mention, the lead up to that. The hurt and pain and misery and anger and rage she had evoked. The reaction she got from him.

She didn't want either of them to feel that way again and, despite knowing she would be a force to be reckoned with when it came to being an alpha (especially now she was a lot more comfortable with her true identity and her body and her abilities), she knew she would be hesitant for a while. She would not accept disrespect or not being his equal, but she would always fear losing him again because of that. Because that was what caused them to fall apart in the first place.

Then there was that word: darlin'. It melted her every time. It haunted her with memories of times where their problems were so minute compared to now. It spoke of love and warmth and affection. Something she wanted so badly.

"S'that right?" Luana smiled quickly once she was beside him at last, a small space still between them to ensure he felt comfortable. She wasn't sure just what he wanted after his confession, and hadn't been able to read just how things were to go. Her own awkwardness hindered her ability to slot too comfortably back into what they were like before, so she wasn't sure what Tate wanted.

"An' did your Pa say he was goin' help you get it by yourself like a big girl?" Luana asked the toddler, who nodded back immediately. She chuckled, reaching out with her free hand to stroke the back of Tala's hair, "An'-an' Dada said he'd-he'd cook it for us! He-he said I'd help!"

Luana glanced to Tate, eyebrow raising at the prospect of Tala being near sharp blades and fire, but she was careful with her following words, not wanting to dampen her daughter's enthusiasm, "Well, so long as your Pa does the cuttin'..."

Sensing Luana's concern, the fellow alpha merely smiled it off - he obviously had no intention of just handing Tala a knife and letting her get on with gutting a fish. He might have vehemently protested his dislike of children for years now (a remark that had never quite been true) but that didn't mean he was oblivious enough to let a toddler handle weapons around fire alone. Though he and his siblings were all close in age, he had always taken a role in protecting them, taking pride in helping his parents when it came to looking after them all - he had some experience when it came to small children, despite also having been one himself the time he gained that experience.

"I'll do the cuttin', Tala can help with the guttin'. All she has to do is pull the organs an' all that out, no danger there. It's somethin' she's gotta learn to do sooner than later an' she's tough, ain't she? She won't go squirming; she'll do a good job, I know she will," he praised with ease, even if he wasn't intent on making Tala see the job through if she decided she didn't want to do so. He loved the idea of teaching his daughter a skill that she would need to learn (and it was good practise getting hands on with gutting a fish now considering how gruesome hunting down wild boar or deer could be in contrast) but he wasn't naive; she was a toddler, they were notoriously fussy, so he had already mentally prepared himself for her backing down later on.

And that was fine: he knew this wouldn't be their first trip out into the woods together so the time for teaching her all the valuable skills she needed didn't all have to occur on a single day.

Pointing out a few robins on a branch up ahead to distract Tala, he took the opportunity to glance across at Luana curiously. He knew they wouldn't just slip seamlessly back into the way they had been two years ago especially with how quickly things had shifted since their initial conversation that morning, but he also didn't think they ought to squander the chance to enjoy the privacy they were afforded from a pack that would judge their reunion with unashamed harshness.

He was conversational and casual because he wanted to enjoy their time together without the pressures of the pack while he could. He felt the awkwardness and the worries she did... he was just doing his best to ignore them to make the most of their family day out whilst he could.

"Hey, you alright? I'm just tryin' t'... enjoy the day, Lu. Without overthinkin' stuff. Just... enjoying what we have right now, y'know? If that's-- if I'm being weirdly casual, like we ain't gone through a ton today already, it's just 'cos this is one time where we can... be a family with Tala without folks glarin' at us back at the pack for it," he pointed out beneath his breath, offering a quiet smile despite his genuine fear that those he cared for back at his pack would seek to voice their anger with him without acknowledging for one moment his happiness and how he only felt it would be possible long-term with Luana at his side.

They might not understand that anytime soon, which made the day out in the woods, where he could enjoy that happiness, all the more important for him.

"...You look cute, by the way. I like the whole tough, toned thing you got goin' on," he continued with a daring grin, deciding just a little flirtation wouldn't be too devastating. "Not that you could beat me in a wrestling match, I still would beat 'ya hands down, but you'd give me a good fight, I grant 'ya that."

"Yeah I know but...you know me, the Queen of Overthinkin'." Luana murmured back gently, eyes on the robins he had pointed out for their daughter. The toddler 'oohed' softly at the birds, distracted just as her father wanted, her small hands patting at his shoulders but not for his attention, just out of a need for them to do something.

Reluctantly, she tore her gaze away from the birds and met his, holding it for a breath longer than she intended to before looking forward, "I know... I know, you're right. I just... s'like what you said. A lot's happened today an'... an' I'm just worried about the... I'm just worried about the backlash this'll have on you. There's just... I got a lot goin' on in my head right now, like you do too, I'm supposin'. The pack hate me-- there ain't no denyin' that, it's a fact, whether we like it or not an' I... I just don't know what to do to... change that. I could apologise till I was blue in the face, or bring back the biggest boar or stag from a hunt an'... an' even then still not..." She trailed off, shrugging.

As Tala started babbling to them again, Luana pointed out a squirrel darting between the trees, stopping every so often in the search for nuts. That would distract her for a little while again.

"I... I will try though, today. To forget about... all'f that for a bit. I promise." She smiled quietly across to him, tucking some short strands of hair behind her ear.

It did truly concern her that their only hope of happiness would be when they were both out of the public eye. Perhaps Tate would eventually win back his pack-- wait, no. She knew he would. He had been a dedicated, fair and strong leader during the years he ran the pack, she knew as much from what she had heard from members before she left two years ago. However, she could see herself on a longer road of redemption than him. And that terrified her simply because she didn't know if that road would ever end. There was a fear that she would never be accepted back into the pack, and if that was the case, how could Tate ever stay with her?

Through one of her more darker worries came his teasing flirtation, which caught her by surprise. She turned her head to look at him again, blinking once, before her cheeks flushed warm. "I dunno, I reckon the results would be 50/50. I ain't the weaklin' I was before." She quipped back eventually, glancing to him from the corner of her eye before a small grin flickered over her lips.

Part of his dedication to enjoying the day out meant pushing all worries and concerns momentarily aside. He was well-versed in the practise of pushing back his own thoughts and feelings, but he knew it was something he had to work on when it came to his and Luana's relationship. It had been part of their downfall two years ago: his absolute refusal to openly fight for what they had and converse with her on any issues that came to mind so they could work past them inevitably dented what they had, and he wasn't going to let it happen again.

So he wasn't against having a deep conversation about the problems that would arise now they were back together from a pack who would take issue with it. In fact, he welcomed such a discussion if it a) prepared them for the hard times ahead and b) showed Luana just how serious he was to make this work better the second time around than it had done the first.

Now just wasn't the time to delve into their innermost concerns and worries when this was possibly the last time they would be able to have an enjoyable moment together before the onslaught of animosity and despair from the pack came their way.

"You ain't a weakling no more, huh? Is that a challenge, then? It sounds like a challenge to me. You wait 'til I put Tala down, you can put that fightin' talk to the test," he smirked back across to her in a moment of playfulness reminiscent of their early days together. Perhaps not right at the start, given how they had been at one another's throats, but a little while after that, when the bond was in full force and every moment he spent with Luana made him feel like he was the luckiest man in the world.

To have even a slither of that, especially after two years of pain and hurt, made him smile to himself in appreciation and feel a great deal more positive about the future ahead of them irrespective of issues they would have to overcome.

As long as they overcame them together as an equal force, he didn't think he had anything to remotely worry about.

"Here seems as good a place as any to settle. I reckon we could set up here for the day," interjected Anders as he came to a stop, taking in the little clearing besides the slow-moving river in appreciation. The beauty the woods possessed had always fascinated him - whilst his brothers and Daisy fell over themselves to go hunting with their father as children, or at the very least admiringly run to the former alpha to hear stories from his hunts the moment he arrived back, Anders had always preferred to stay back; to sit with his mother, nestled into her side and observing the natural world around him.

He wanted nothing more than to sit with Teddy and repeat such moments with his daughter, though her excitability for catching and gutting the fish (something Anders found brutal and nauseating) didn't give him much hope. Given the choice between peacefully watching the clouds or going out on a hunt, his daughter would always opt for the latter.

"I'll just stay back, I don't wanna see any fish get caught, I'll just-- the thought alone makes me feel sick," he shrugged as he started to set down the blankets, only turning his attention away when Teddy ran from his side to examine the fishing rods for herself. "...Make sure she doesn't hurt herself, Ronan-- the hook on those rods is pretty sharp, ain't it? Just-- keep an eye on her, yeah?"

"S'only a challenge if you feel it is, I was merely statin' my case." Luana's grin grew warmer and her gaze flickered back to Tala on his back, who was now actively searching for more forest creatures herself, "Good luck with that... I don't think she's goin' be lettin' you go any time soon." She then chuckled, eyeing up how the toddler gripped firmly onto Tate's shoulders, her little fists bunching up some of the material of his shirt.

Her steps slowed at the sound of Anders' voice, body partially turning to look back at her friend. Her grin melted into a faint smile, nodding in agreement. Automatically, her hand reached out to brush against Tate's arm to inform him they were stopping, in case he missed it due to Tala's continuous babbling, pointing out whatever she could see now as they had done to her moments ago. At the contact, a warmth spread from her fingertips and left a shiver running over her skin, a heat once more flushed her cheeks at her body's reaction and she was quick to clear her throat.

Luana hurried to busy herself with laying out the blankets to make a large enough space for them to all sit on. Once completed, she straightened and took in the clearing Anders had chosen. She smiled at the brief quietness of it all, knowing that it wouldn't stay that way for long with the two toddlers they had brought with them, both so eager to learn from the adults. The slow-moving river looked perfect not just to fish, but to also potentially go for a dip if it got too warm for them throughout the day or just to have Tala practice her swimming. The sun broke through the trees in the odd place, and a scattering of rays landed on the blankets were they were sat.

Ronan chuckled at his mate's concern, walking over to Teddy to scoop the little girl up into his arms before she could pull one of the fishing rods away from the other. "She'll be fine, Anders. Stop your frettin', y'know I won't let her out of my sight for a second." He replied, distracting the girl from her whining by turning her upside down and tickling her.

"We ought to go find some fire wood, Anders, while these two are showin' the girls how to fish." Luana suggested after a moment of appreciating their surroundings, the upwards tilt of her lips remaining. It was probably the most care-free and relaxed she had felt in an age. "Then we don't need to worry about it later an' we can just get cookin' whatever they catch."

Tala by this point had demanded to be put down, also eager to check out the fishing rods that lay near the square of blankets that had been laid out. However she halted in her squirms to get down from Tate's back, a small frown appearing at her mother's words, "But... thought... Mumma no join?"

Luana stepped across to where Tate stood with Tala on his back, reaching passed him to press a kiss to the top of Tala's head, "Mumma will join, but you wanna be a big girl an' cook the fish too, yeah? So we got to get firewood for that, otherwise you'll be eatin' it raw!" Her eyes widened dramatically, "We don't want that, do we? 'Member the last time you thought it clever to do that?"

Tala's nose wrinkled immediately, tongue poking out. Luana laughed, grinning at her daughter's look of disgust, "Exactly. So your Pa will teach you, then when I get back you can show me everythin' you've learned, yeah?"

Teddy's squeals at being lifted up and turned upside down by her father only made Anders smile in delight; after al, there was nothing he wanted more than for his mate to bond properly with the daughter he hadn't had the opportunity to connect with until now. He observed the two with that same smile on his face, knowing that even if they as a family had to technically hide what they meant to one another even in this little clearing (due to Tate's presence), they could still enjoy their time together and make up for lost time.

His eyes drifted to Tala's interaction with her mother, his smile only growing at the little girl's playfulness. It had momentarily hit him at the unfairness the others represented; their ability to just enjoy their time together as a unit without secrecy. Tate and Luana could flirt without even trying to be subtle about it (at least, Tate hadn't bothered to hide it) and he could give his daughter a ride on his back and affectionately interact with her without confusion.

He tried not to pay it much notice and, in fact, he had pushed the melancholy to the back of his mind in favour of focusing on the positives of their day out together... but he had no option other than acknowledging that bitter unfairness when noticing the glance Tate shared with him; a glance of uncertainty and confusion at the sight of Ronan interacting so easily with Teddy; a child Tate believed the other had only really just met.

It overstepped a boundary to Tate, unable to see why his brother would be fine with someone like Ronan (who he thought to be a complete stranger to him and Teddy) behaving so casually with her. He could understand the behaviour with Tala when the man had played a major part in helping raise her, being on hand as her uncle throughout those two years, but not with Teddy; not when the girl had just met him and (in Tate's mind) had no connection with Ronan to justify his behaviour.

No words needed to be shared when a single glance from Tate told Anders all he needed to know: he knew his brother was confused and prepared to step in and put a stop to the matter if he was asked to. Obviously Anders wasn't prepared to do that, not even to save face, merely nodding to Tate to assure him everything was fine and his actions weren't required... but enough had been said in that glance for all those anxieties to arise.

No matter where he went, he couldn't just relax and be a family when problems like this would arise; problems he knew he could handle if he just set the truth down, but the confidence he had over doing so had now evaporated.

He couldn't foresee any scenario where he would tell everyone how much Ronan meant to him when the consequences of doing so would be intense, and Anders knew he didn't have the strength to cope with it. Tate could handle the consequences of his pack's opinions on his reunion with Luana; he could take it in his stride and get over it in time because he was the alpha and ultimately, his pack respected him.

Anders, however, knew his pack thought he was the weakest of the siblings (if only emotionally-speaking): he didn't hunt because he didn't like the sight of blood, he didn't enjoy confrontation because it made him stressed, he didn't stand up for himself because he didn't want to be seen as rude or overbearing. How would anyone come to terms with his relationship and accept it when, ultimately, they didn't respect him?

He knew he was overthinking things but when it concerned the biggest moment of his life and all the consequences that would arise from it, he didn't think overthinking was too pressing of an issue. He only registered the fact Luana was expecting him to help find the firewood after a moment of silence had passed without him uttering a word, quickly forcing a smile and nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, firewood-- yeah, I can help with that, we should go look. Teddy's busy, she won't even notice I've gone," he chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck to appear more casual than he felt, his eyes taking in the sight of his daughter eagerly making the most of playing with Ronan (and the subsequent wary glances it provoked from an understandably confused Tate) once more before turning to Luana. "I, uh... let's make it quick, I know Teddy will be furious with me if I missed 'er catching a fish. She won't forgive me for it."

Reactions: Viverescribere
"Yeah, course. Tala'd be the same." Luana smiled reassuringly at her friend, reaching out to rest a hand on his shoulder before turning and leading the way. A warmth had built and spread throughout her chest in the mere minutes she had spent actually being a proper family with Tate and Tala, even if it was all in secret. Of course she still had a long way to go yet until she would feel entirely comfortable with Tate; the banter and flirtation would always have an element of restraint, especially with his decision being so new and fresh.

There would still be that lingering worry that he would change his mind.

However, Anders' behaviour caught Luana's attention, dragging it away from her own personal thoughts and concerns. She didn't say anything, however, until they were a safe enough distance away from Tate.

"Do you... do you think that maybe now might be a good time..." Luana began to suggest softly, ducking down every so often to pick up some smaller, dry twigs for kindling. Her eyes settled on her friend when she next straightened, watching him for his reaction, "I mean... it might be better to tell him separately to the rest of the pack. We both know the pack follows his... reactions. If he's expectin' the announcement an' is calmer for it... the pack may follow suit."

While she had been dealing with her own problems, Luana had still been thinking about Anders' own secret that needed to be revealed eventually. She knew her presence within the pack would already make the atmosphere tense, but she considered the influence it may have if Tate knew about Anders' secret and kept their own resuscitated relationship quiet for a little longer until Anders had made his own mate bond clear to the rest of the pack.

"The news may... break with less resistance an' a little more ease if they see your brother is all happy for you, while he is still in good favour too." She explained her thoughts carefully, "I just... think he may appreciate ya tellin' him first instead of leavin' him to find out with the rest of the pack, y'know?"

She began to pick up some thicker, fallen branches, grateful that it would allow him some time to just consider her suggestions, "S'just a thought. Obviously you don't 'ave'ta listen to me... I just want this to go as well for you an' Ronan an' Teddy as it possibly can, y'know? I love ya, Anders, I just wanna see you happy. You deserve that."

Not expecting -or even really wanting- a conversation regarding his situation, Anders fell immediately silent at the suggestion within it. He wanted nothing more than for his brother to know about everything so he could, at the very least, enjoy a day in the woods without worrying about staring across at Ronan too long or fear causing suspicion if Ronan wanted to do something as simple as play about with his own daughter. It would be ideal to just relax and enjoy a day without the constant overwhelming anxiety feeling like a heavy weight on his chest that had rested there for... a while now. Telling Tate, whether he was positive or negative in response, would alleviate that and make telling the entire pack later on a much easier experience.

...Though he couldn't tell his brother; not when he was almost entirely certain that he wouldn't just let the revelation go. He would question him, seeking answers for his confusion, and that in turn would just disrupt the entire day and ruin Luana's opportunity for a family day out she had been imagining for two years straight. He couldn't -and wouldn't- do that to her.

Especially when he had already reached his own conclusion, one he didn't foresee himself ever budging from no matter what opinions and suggestions Luana currently presented to him.

"Lu, I get that, I appreciate it, but I don't really... want to talk about it, if that's alright? Not to sound rude or nothin', I just... I ain't gonna talk about it. I ain't tellin' Tate 'cos I ain't gonna tell anyone. I'm not doing that, it's-- nah, I don't need advice on how to break this to people 'cos they won't ever find out, I'm not... doing that," he admitted suddenly, aware the sudden decision might appear abrupt when just last night he had been excitedly discussing plans for his future with Ronan, a future that would only arrive when they revealed their bond to the pack. Only in such a scenario could they actually achieve the family dynamic Anders had always been so keen on - only now he had apparently changed his mind.

He knew he couldn't just drop the bombshell and expect his best friend to nod and go along with his choice without questioning it, but he remained as silent as he could before the quiet became deafening. With a sigh of resignation, he stood straight with the few twigs he had collected held tightly in his hands, his eyes averted to the ground at the mud and fallen autumnal leaves.

"I ain't tellin' people. I don't wanna. They don't respect me, Lu; they ain't gonna respect a decision that they don't understand in the first place. I-- I'd rather just keep things quiet, y'know? Keep things secret. I can enjoy what Ronan and I have then. I can't enjoy it if people know about us; they'll gossip and say hurtful shit and-- they'll eventually forgive 'ya, Luana. You're Tate's mate. They'll realise you're just as worthy an alpha as he is an' they'll like you again, but they won't do that for Ronan. Nah, they'll-- they'll never accept him 'cos they don't respect me and my choices like they do Tate. I ain't gonna subject Ronan to a life of-- of insults and discomfort like that, no fuckin' way."

He kicked a few of the fallen leaves for no reason other than to distract himself from the sudden overabundance of personal thoughts. Not that he ought to feel ashamed in venting to his best friend when he would always encourage her to do the same with him if she needed to, but he still felt embarrassed by it, especially when it made the cheery mood turn awkward rather quickly.

"Hey, it's fine. Don't let me ruin the mood, Lu, I'm fine. I made my choice an'... that's fine too, ain't it? I don't have to tell them if I don't want to. Ronan will be pissed or hurt or-- or both, but I'll deal with it. I ain't askin' you to change my mind so just don't do that, okay? I'm-- sparin' Ronan a life of fuckin' fear an' judgement. He'll get that, in time."