A Wolf Among The Sheep

Luana reached out behind Tate's back to rest a hand against it as he repeated Uriel's casual acknowledgement of his alpha. Both in a show of support to help her mate calm down, but also to keep herself calm in the male's presence. She could just about manage to look up at Daisy and offer the younger girl a small smile, unable to help the awkwardness she too felt after the disagreement that exploded in the hut earlier that day.

That one and the one with Anders. She wasn't doing particularly well for herself now that she thought back on it.

Her nails gently scratched at Tate's back, her actions allowing her to focus on something other than the smirk on Uriel's face and the stiff tension that had formed since Daisy and Uriel had joined them. She, like Tate, couldn't begrudge either of the two from getting food, especially after she had been the one to convince Tate to allow Daisy to make her own choices and, therefore, mistakes. However, the didn't mean she had to be comfortable with them sitting down with them. Especially with Uriel acting like the cat that got the cream.

Despite the smiles she received that evening (even if she was still dubious that she would have gotten them if she hadn't been with Tate), Luana still couldn't help but feel as though there was still an atmosphere within the pack. It was probably just down to her own paranoia, but the she-wolf felt herself becoming defensive. Perhaps it was a mixture of the negativity rolling off Leah in waves, plus the awkwardness of her current relationship with Daisy, and the fact that Uriel was sat right near them.

It made her, without her realising it, slide closer to Tate before picking up her bowl and spoon to begin eating her stew. She kept her eyes on her food as the pair sat down with them, allowing her mind to drift for a moment onto Tala and Teddy and how Ronan was doing with the two.

Uriel's voice caught her unawares, and Luana looked up to provide the young man with her attention, taking in the bruising that had been caused by Tate's reaction to him being with the alpha's little sister. She stopped chewing at the audacity of the werewolf Daisy claimed to be her mate, her hand tightening around her spoon.

"...To be honest with you, Uriel, you're the last one I really want to talk about mine an' Tate's relationship." She replied, lowering her spoon into her bowl, "In fact, nothin' about mine an' Tate's relationship is up for discussion, with anyone, so perhaps we ought to drop it, yeah?"

Had the remark been uttered with purely good intentions? Despite the well-feigned frown, as though stunned by the cutting tone he was met with, Uriel was smart; he knew precisely what he was doing, what insinuations he was making, when he turned his attention to Luana to converse... even if the conversation barely got started before the topic was shut down. As genuine as he was regarding his feelings and motivations with Daisy, the same could hardly be said for the other's sibling and Luana, the latter of which Uriel had begun the day disliking but was guaranteed to end it despising.

Not that he could honestly or transparently communicate that. Though knowing Daisy had his back (her vocal defence of him against her own family was proof of that) and in spite not being in the best place with Luana, the fact remained that she would never abandon a close friendship with her, particularly when they were family and treated one another like sisters. It was that and that alone that motivated Uriel into harbouring his dislike of Luana -and, admittedly, Tate- in secret: nothing would drive a wedge into his new relationship more than Daisy discovering just how fierce his hatred of her family (and most people in the pack) was.

In fact, she was probably the sole exception; the only person he didn't feel anything negative towards.

Naturally, at the sight of his frown, as though taken aback by the attitude he faced, Daisy mirrored the expression in her own discontentment, albeit hers being genuine. She didn't care to start another argument, especially not in front of the pack, but she couldn't sit back and allow her mate's open chastisement; not when she naively believed his intentions to be harmless.

"He didn't mean anythin', he was only asking how you and Tate 'ave been. He's making an effort, Luana. I'd have thought you would appreciate that, not shut 'im down for asking a question. That ain't productive, is it? If you want everyone movin' on, I'd kinda like you to respect my mate, y'know? Just a thought, Lu," she challenged flatly, keeping the other woman's gaze for a beat or two before allowing her attention to drift to the bowl of stew settled neatly on her lap. Her appetite had wavered a little but, knowing the importance of a hearty meal after a day of hard work, she exhaled quietly and allowed herself a bite, sharing a quick smile with Uriel who, inevitably, grinned wide at her defence of him.

"Yeah, well, make sure your mate knows when to shut his damn mouth an' we'll be alright, won't we? Questions are fine; disrespect ain't." Tate countered with a smile, one he had to force but did so purely to keep things from spiralling into another argument... even if the tension that remained thick in the air made one seem more likely than not. He quietly rested a hand on Luana's knee for a moment, a subtle squeeze offered to quash any rising irritation in her and emphasis his support; a reciprocation of her efforts just a minute or two prior.

Despite the relationship she had with Daisy, Luana kept the girl's gaze until she was the first one to look away. It frustrated her that Daisy was so adamant to protect and defend Uriel at all times. While she wanted Daisy to have the freedom, as an adult, to make her own mistakes and had thus even convinced Tate that he had to do the same... watching her defend a man who so clearly was a manipulative bastard was downright painful.

Luana wasn't stupid. She recognised some of his behaviour to be similar to Kaius'. Nothing that she could really call out but things that she knew had hidden intentions or meanings. Sneaky and manipulative, toxic, even. It was one of the reasons why she didn't want to be away from her pack for too long, not knowing what whispered rumours Kaius could be spreading in her absence. Her parents were still there, of course, but they would step down eventually and they had made that clear. She didn't need to risk Kaius growing enough support that he felt as though he could challenge her when the time came for the changing of alphas.

Uriel was just the same. She could sense his hidden agendas, feel the dislike from him. Perhaps that was just her paranoia, but after what had happened with him present, she wasn't willing to give him a second chance all that easily. That had to be earned. And he wasn't earning anything in that moment with her.

"He can make an effort askin' about anythin' else. Basically askin' if we've been gettin' reacquainted ain't at the top of my list for small talk topics, Daise." Luana responded, her own tone terse as she tried to keep herself from getting too defensive herself, "An' as for askin' how long we've been a part... everyone knows how long. It ain't difficult. That ain't makin' an effort, Daise, that's remindin' us of old shit instead of helpin' us move on."

Her eyes had moved to Uriel by this point, her gaze hardening as she looked him over. It wasn't until Tate's hand came to rest on her knee, squeezing there softly, did she realise just how tense her body had become.

Releasing a sigh, cheeks puffing as a result, she turned back to the bowl of stew that her mate had provided. She stirred it quietly, occasionally brushing her knee against Tate's just for that reminder to stay calm.

"Not everythin' revolves around you two, y'know that? His life isn't dominated by what you an' Tate got up to, an' he wasn't counting the days since you left. How's it his fault that he didn't know the exact amount of time since you were last around here? You're just-- you're being real fuckin' pedantic an' it ain't fair, Luana. You're overthinking every fucking thing he does for-- for what, exactly? 'Cos you don't like 'im? That's just unfair." Daisy retorted sharply, her own attempt to hold back her irritation and prevent a rising of tension for the benefit of the pack as a whole starting to fade - it was nigh-on impossible not to become heated when she was faced with (what she perceived as) unjust attacks on her own mate.

They were attacks she didn't imagine would ever occur if she had found love with any other man in the pack. In that scenario, she could only envision them being delighted for her chance of happiness, even Tate working past his protectiveness and acknowledging that his sister was an adult and ready to take on the lifestyle that epitomised that.

But when it was Uriel who she had grown fond of and was ultimately destined to be mated with? She was apparently made to endure the unsubtlety of Luana's thinly-veiled annoyance and Tate's visible disgust. Granted, she wasn't naive to the fact that Uriel's comment was probably made with the intent to get under Luana's skin; that his opinion of her -and Tate, for that matter- was probably incapable of dropping any lower, but the man was her mate and she was prepared to defend him to within an inch of her life if she had to.

He wasn't perfect, far from it, but she loved him - and so was ready at any time to jump to his defence and justify his behaviour, especially when she was of the opinion that he was simply giving back the energy he was forced to receive.

"There's no need to argue about this - I apologise if I caused offence, Luana; it wasn't my intention," interjected Uriel quickly, the feigned sincerity masked by a charming smile. The reaction he had garnered was one that made him want to grin wildly in amusement, the knowledge that he had successfully irked Luana and Tate, when that had been his sole aim, ultimately providing him his enjoyment - but triumphantly resting back in that smugness would only be to his own detriment.

Despite his behaviour and his fierce, intense dislike of her entire family, Daisy meant a lot to him - enough that he was willing to present fake smiles and play innocent when, ordinarily, he wouldn't have held back on scowling in their presence.

That said, playing nice was also motivated by the need to remain in the pack - one wrong move and he knew the second chance he had reluctantly been offered would be ripped from him without hesitation.

"Seriously," he continued with another flattering smile, removing his arm from around Daisy's shoulder in order to rest it around her waist instead; something more intimate that caused Tate's jaw to tighten in barely contained outrage, "we've all been through a lot, right? An' we got to stick together to take down those humans, so fighting amongst ourselves ain't helpin' anyone. So yeah, I'm sorry. I want you to know I'm dedicated to the pack; that I respect you both as my alphas, so-- I didn't mean t' upset 'ya, Lu."

"I'm overthinkin' things, Dase, because he stood there an' laughed as I got harassed an' punched. Sorry if that makes me a little wound up about havin' you be with him as a mate." Luana muttered, keeping her eyes on her stew as she ate. It was frustrating to Luana that Daisy couldn't see where she was coming from. It wasn't even a matter of her still smarting from the attack, but rather now her fear of the bastard getting up to something else. Perhaps something more subtle now that his second chance was balancing on very thin ice. Luana was in no way prepared to see Daisy hurt. "Sorry that I didn't trust him the moment you said you were mates." She added sarcastically, swirling her spoon around her bowl.

The longer the conversation went on, the weaker her appetite became and Luana was already feeling a tightness return within her shoulders. The easiness in which Uriel played the innocent was infuriating and Luana hated him even more for it. The way that he was simply a two-faced player who gave Daisy one side and her family another.

It was the final straw that made Luana put down her half-empty bowl and clasp her hands together, silently fuming as Uriel opened his mouth time and again. She stared across the gap to the fire which crackled and pop in front of them, hands slowly rubbing together as she allowed Uriel's words to wash over her. Inwardly, she was fighting with herself; debating how to tackle the situation she saw before them. Undoubtedly Uriel would continue to look like an angel in front of Daisy, and thus whatever he said would never be his fault. Just as Daisy had said to her about Tate; she would always look to forgive him and move on.

So that meant that Luana couldn't just fight his subtly barbed words with sharp retorts of her own. She and Tate would have to play his game. And hopefully that would annoy him more - not getting a reaction and thus having to up his game, perhaps making his insults less and less veiled until even Daisy couldn't deny them.

Looking back to the couple, seeing Uriel's arm around Daisy's waist and Tate's tightened jaw, Luana provided a small but charming smile of her own. She turned her body to face the two and rested a hand on Tate's knee for extra measure.

"I can only apologise too. We did give you that second chance, after all, so we should all start on a clean slate - don't'cha think?" She asked in response, legs crossing at the knee, "An' you're basically goin'ta be family now... so you should tell us about yourself, Uriel. You said your Ma is still in the pack? How's she doin' lately?"

The stark contrast between the sarcasm marring remarks that came a mere minute before the considered apology (in which he was referred to as family) did cause Uriel's brow to raise, a clear insight to the confusion he was suddenly hit with. He couldn't organise his expression quickly enough to hide that bewilderment, the frustration of not knowing how to properly respond to Luana's abrupt change in demeanour just as unsubtle. He was used to being one step ahead at all times, of being able to predict the behaviour and attitude of others and knowing how to exacerbate it to suit him and his desired narrative.

Being met with Luana's change in demeanour, one he hadn't predicted, set his panic alight, his chest tightening in the discomfort he felt at feeling like he was floundering. He wasn't naive to the fact that Luana had worked him out, to some extent; he knew that she knew he wasn't the tortured soul who had regretfully wandered down the wrong path that he was portraying himself to be, but part of the fun came from her knowing that and being incapable of doing anything about it.

That was where the amusement could be garnered, knowing that his innocent facade was entirely transparent to her but she, for the sake of keeping her relationship with Daisy, could hardly call him out for it.

Which made her change of tactics all the more worrying. He knew Luana was smart and therefore knew she would develop a plan of her own - he just hadn't quite prepared himself for it occurring this abruptly.

"The apology ain't necessary but-- yeah, I appreciate that. I'm sure we'll get along like a house on fire, y'know. I'm a pretty decent guy, once 'ya get to know me," he shrugged casually in response, a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes spreading over his features - though Daisy, understandably delighted at the change of atmosphere, remained oblivious to it. Affectionately, she nestled into his side, an encouraging smile being offered up at him in the hope he would continue to reciprocate the sort of energy Luana was providing.

"...Yeah, my Ma's doing alright. She's sick, but I ain't worried too much. Dase is a great healer; she's looking after my Ma better than anyone could so-- I 'ave confidence in her so, uh... yeah, my Ma'll be alright," he continued with a firm nod to consolidate that confidence, the arm tightening a little around Daisy's waist. Discussing his mother's health with people he despised wasn't ideal, but matching Luana's effort was vital - however difficult it was. "How's your family, then? Your folks back in the other pack, they doing alright?"

Keeping her expression neutral and smiling despite his rollercoaster of emotions, Luana was secretly purring with delight at putting the young man on the back foot for a change. Given all that had happened and their less than stellar history... she wasn't prepared to make things easy for him. Not that she wanted Daisy upset or heartbroken, but she did want the girl to realise that no matter what effort was put in, Uriel would never change from the boy that stood there and laughed at her being tormented. She didn't trust the younger male, even if she wanted so desperately to because of who he was to Daisy.

She had experience pretending to get along with people that riled her up with her other pack. Kaius had helped her learn how to manage herself better than she ever could if she had stayed with Tate in his pack. As much as the pain of being apart from him grew.

"Oh I'm sure you are. You wouldn't be Daisy's mate if you weren't somewhat decent." She countered, the smile still on her lips but her stomach twisting as she forced herself to continue the niceties. The conversation couldn't be over soon enough in her eyes, and she was more than keen to get back into the hut with Tate, as they said they were going to do after eating. But she also knew they couldn't rush off immediately after Tate was done eating... not now with Leah sat across the firepit and Uriel here putting out a silent challenge of wills.

Removing her hand from Tate's knee, she leaned forward to rest her elbows on her knees and rest her head in her one hand, keeping her eyes on Uriel. She noted Daisy's delight, inwardly smirking at how now it was up to him to continue being pleasant. She also had to wonder why she didn't think of it all sooner. She should have had the upper hand from the beginning once Cassian, Mirella and Jasper had all been banished. She should have known from the start how to deal with the youth.

"I'm glad to hear she's become such a vital part in the pack now. Hopefully she'll be able to find someone to take on as an apprentice. Maybe I could even see if there was someone in my pack, Dase. We've got two there already. Could be good, y'know, bridge the gap an' all that." She informed the younger woman, wanting to make sure she too stayed in the conversation, or at least listening to what was being said. "My folks are grand. Nothin' to complain about there," she chuckled heartily, shrugging, "Still runnin' things. I've learned a lot from them. Trained well under them. I'm definitely more capable, now."

"You're glad to hear she's become a vital part of the pack? She's always been vital, there ain't ever been a time when she wasn't important. Everyone 'ere is important in their own way. You're part of a pack, ain't 'ya? The one your parents lead? I'm sure you know that there ain't anyone who can't contribute an' help the running of the community," hummed Uriel, seizing the opportunity that presented itself to him. Of course, Luana's words were entirely innocent in their intentions, the purest of compliments towards someone who she saw as a sister, whose importance had always been present but recognised now more than ever before... though Uriel had a talent for manipulating meanings; of twisting words to suit his own purpose.

And being able to subtly manipulate Luana's meaning, as though she had never considered Daisy a vital cog of the machine before now, was simply a chance he couldn't let pass him by (and it also helped to twist the knife by reminding her of her other pack, quietly emphasising the opinion that she belonged there, rather than where she currently was).

Speaking up when he had the pack around him was a risky move, the young man aware that any one person could call him out on his words if they failed to believe his sincerity as genuine - and when he had been involved in the attack on Luana (even if his crime was purely emotionally cruel, rather than physical), his reputation amongst those he lived with was likely to be at its lowest.

So to receive no wary glances or critical remarks was nothing short of a success in his books. Only Tate seemed to glare towards him, though when his hatred was already well established, Uriel failed to care too much about it.

On the contrary, he rather enjoyed getting under Tate's skin. He may be the alpha, but seeing him struggle to contain his blind rage for his younger sister's benefit was nothing short of hilarious.

"I'm sure that's not what she meant-- right, Lu? 'Cos I've always... been important, y'know. Ain't anyone less important 'round here than anyone else," added Daisy quietly, refusing to accept her mate's words as the genuine fact of the matter. She knew that Luana had always supported her endeavours, been the first to encourage her career whilst also advocating her to take time for herself when the pressure became too much - she was hardly going to believe that Luana had underestimated her in any regard, or considered her to be less present or less integral to the pack than she was.

Though the confidence in that belief wasn't invulnerable to being chipped away at by her partner.

"...I could do with an apprentice, yeah. Someone to help take the edge of, that, uh-- yeah, I need that," she agreed with a faint nod, smiling to encourage an easier atmosphere - Tate's glares weren't subtle and did little to put her at ease. "They wouldn't mind being my apprentice though? I mean, they don't mind takin' on that role, rather than be the lead healer? 'Cos I ain't interested in relinquishing my role like that. I kinda like being in charge."

"A part of the pack my parents lead? I'm sure you didn't mean anythin' by it, but surely you recognise that I'm hopin' to join my mate an' those that I consider family here again, Uriel. I had hoped I'd proven that with joinin' in on the hunt yesterday." Luana quipped back, eyebrow raising in return as she remained unbothered by his attempts to derail her and looked to throw his attempts at manipulation back in his face. "As you said, there ain't anyone who can't contribute an' I'm here, for good, to contribute."

It was hard to keep control of her tongue, and Uriel had managed to strike true with his words as she recognised them for what they were. A slap in the face reminding her that she didn't belong there. The fact that no one else had picked up on it, and thus having no one defend her, quietly hurt.

Luana knew that Uriel would always know where to hit when he was out of options, the words and comments he needed to make in order to know for certain that he had winded her. Any mention of animosity towards her, despite what she was trying to achieve and while she was going out of her way to win back the good graces of her former pack, would sting. And it was even more bitter the fact that he was also, now, on the lowest rung of the low yet still seemed to be considered above her with no one criticising him for his words.

She knew she could hardly blame Daisy. The girl was infatuated with her mate and thus wouldn't recognise his words for what they actually were: barbed, poisonous sharps that cut and stuck into her skin, bleeding her.

Yet still she continued to smile, the expression softening as she looked to the young woman in question, "'Course I didn't mean it in that way. I just meant it's so good to see how you've come into your own, made that role your own. I'm just... sad that I missed it all." She murmured, hand returning from Tate's knee to her own lap, deciding to breach the gap and make mention to her absence before Uriel decided to use that against her too, "But I'll be here to see you grow even more, an' I'm excited to see it. I'm real proud of you, Daise. Not that I wasn't before," she sent a sidelong look to Uriel before peering back to the blonde, "Just to make it clear. You're an amazing woman, I just hope everyone recognises that."

Clearing her throat, gently nudging Tate as a hint for them to potentially return to their hut, she nodded to Daisy's last few comments about remaining as the Head Healer, "Of course. I couldn't imagine anyone better for the role, I'm sure these two can agree." She assured her, pushing herself to her feet and reaching out to squeeze her shoulder, "Now... I think it's better I get some sleep... it's been a... long day. For all of us, I think." Her eyes moved to Uriel, watching the young man carefully, a brief narrowing of them before it was masked with a faint smile as her head turned back to Daisy, "Goodnight, love. Sleep well."

While his comments might not have resulted in any visible signs of upset, nor did they cause her to flounder desperately for a response (much like the way he had just minutes prior), Uriel was at least content in the knowledge that he had managed to land a low-blow without any real repercussions for doing so. Granted, he knew the venom beneath the cutting remark wasn't lost on Luana, nor on Tate whose glare looked as though it could kill, but the confidence he garnered from the entirety of the pack remaining oblivious to his intent was worth it.

He was at a low point when it came to his reputation, which languished in a place he wasn't at all comfortable with, yet he was continually able to deal cruel comments (albeit shrouded with faux politeness) without anyone calling him out on it, if they recognised it at all. He didn't consider himself a master at manipulation, not when his emotions so easily betrayed him, but he wouldn't deny the confidence brewing in him at his continued success.

Though he also knew that the hatred towards Luana probably helped his cause a great deal - who would be willing to openly defend her right now when the general consensus remained mixed; any favourable opinion muddied by those who remained embittered by her 'abandonment'?

Frankly, it took all Uriel had not to smile wildly at the realisation that a return to his previous social standing wasn't unachievable - and certainly far more likely than Luana's.

Using that to his advantage was the wisest option available to him - he would be a fool not to further himself, especially if it was to Luana's detriment. Any opportunity he had to twist the knife, he was happy to take, though the occasion had to be suitable. He knew not to go overboard with his cutting remarks and risk a chastisement, particularly from Daisy who wasn't entirely oblivious to his nature. Thus, he remained quiet as Luana rose to her feet, ignoring the urge to pipe up with another veiled insult.

He had to know when to shut up and not push his luck, and right now was a good time to practise that self-control.

"Yeah, see you in the mornin'," replied Daisy with a reciprocating smile, though the sight of Tate easing himself up from the log caused that expression to falter slightly. The sight of the two rebuilding what had been broken (and feared lost) for so long was encouraging and precisely all she had hoped for - but she also cared a great deal for Leah, whose unhappiness, hurt and justified sense of unfairness was unsettling to have to witness. One glance cast across at the woman furthered the downturn of Daisy's smile, awkwardness settling in as Leah became aware of the reunited couple preparing to head back to the hut together.

Another bitter reminder that that hut, a place she had lived in and grown to call her home, wasn't hers anymore - and similarly, neither was Tate.

Her eyes darkened, a muscle twitching as she fought back the raging ire starting to fire through her veins. Her hands clenched into fists, only easing when she forced them to hold onto her knees, in part to prevent herself from storming off to spare herself the sight. As appealing as leaving the scene was, she refused to make it easy for Tate - if he had decided to break her heart, he ought to deal with the consequences of it, no matter how difficult it might be for him to witness them all unfolding before him.

The tension, thick enough to be cut with a knife, descended upon the pack as the atmosphere was picked up on, the only person seemingly enjoying the potential for drama being Uriel (though he masked that unparalleled glee as best he could).

"...You don't have to be subtle or hide the inevitable for my sake. Go on, wander off to have sex in your hut, we're all adults here. Don't be shy about it." Leah drawled as she set her eyes on the couple, opting not to take the mature route - why would she when she was hurting and felt no desire to hide it for their benefit?

"You've made it clear how little you both think of me. How little you care about my feelings. Flauntin' your fuckin' relationship in my face-- any normal person wouldn't do that shit, not for a little while while the person they hurt recovers. But you guys? Nah. Nah, you're both assholes, ain't 'ya? Everyone here knows it."