A Reluctant Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ana actually thinks about blushing when Oran mentions the smell, but then she doesn't, shrugging it off. It wasn't her fault she'd been drugged into sleeping for three days and she's not mad at Rakio for it, so she doesn't comment, merely getting off the bed and setting a hand on the child's shoulder in thanks before she starts for the door, listening to Oran speak. She feels the coiling fear in her stomach take root and works to press it down. She doesn't want to tell him anything. Not one thing, not factual or personal. But Ceverno has put her in this position and if there is one thing Ana won't do, it's endanger someone else knowingly. Even if that someone is Oran.

They've left the room when she snorts - loudly - and shakes her head, heading down the hall and to the outside world. "You can't protect me from him, Oran." She knows she needs to expand on that comment and raises her hand, not even looking back at him. "Just...don't speak. I will explain and then I will answer any questions you have, but don't speak." Its said harshly because she is nervous and feeling sick to her stomach as they come to the courtyard and Ana leans against a pillar, her arms crossed tightly under her chest as if she's trying to hold herself together. She swallows thickly, not looking at Oran, not sure if she'd be able to speak if she did.

The beginning? Where is the beginning?

"His name is Ceverno. He's an adviser to my father, part of the King's inner circle and while he's a traitor, I am the only one that knows that as far as I am aware."

Ana took a deep breath and kept going despite the fact that her tongue wanted to cleave to the roof of her mouth in protest. She's never told anyone, it feels almost forbidden to do so now. Her face is tense and her tail lashes behind her like an agitated cat's might. She keeps her eyes locked on to the desert in the distance, seeking something to ground her as she knows the memories that come with her words are not going to be pleasant. She's worked hard to avoid thinking about them for years and now they are being dredged up out of the darkness of her soul and she hates it with every fiber of her being.

"Nearly sixty years ago he had me kidnapped. I was only a child, maybe seven in your human years. I was sold to some aliens called Chavaz," They are notorious for their methods in breaking people. "and they tortured me for nearly a month before I was simply given back to my family without explanation. Ceverno told me three days ago that he'd paid them to 'not ruin me' as he put it. I suppose I should be grateful for that, right?" Her voice drips sarcasm before she reels it in again and her voice becomes emotionless once more.

"When I got back home and as soon as I woke, I left the healing wing and went to find my father, to tell him what had happened. Ceverno found me first." Ana's eyes close as if she's reliving the memory and her body stiffens and shudders before her eyes open again and she stares off into space, continuing, her voice factual as if none of this has affected her. As if it's a just story. The truth, however is that her cold facade is just an act for she can feel the fear she'd felt at ninety, injured and cornered by the Saliphian that towered over her. "He told me that if I told anyone what he'd done, he'd kill my brother, Rakobe." She smiles bitterly, scoffs.

"I threatened him. I didn't believe him. I thought my family too strong, my father, mother and brother too mighty to fall to someone like him. He showed me I was wrong. He dragged me off and when we got to the servant's quarters, he killed my nursemaid with nothing but a touch. He told me again that if I told anyone what he'd done, more people would die."

She pushes away from the pillar now, starting to pace, to move as her body trembles with both anger and fear. It's creeping into her voice and she can't stop it. "It's been like that for sixty years now. I never know when he'll turn up or what he'll want. It could be a day from now or a month. His last visit was two years ago. There is no pattern. I don't know WHY he's doing this unless his goal is to break me completely. All I know is that people die when he comes and I can't stop it. I can't fight him, I can't do a damn thing!" Her tail lashes out as she nearly screams the last words and it hits the pillar she was previously leaning again. There is a sharp crack, but the stone stands and her tail shoots with pain all the way up to her spine. Ana doesn't care. It's something to feel, something to distract her and she finally looks at Oran with a grim smile and eyes that are verging on broken. Verging, but not quite there.

"I don't have his power. I don't know how to fight it and I don't know when he'll come back. I know he doesn't want me dead or he would have already killed me. I know that if I don't follow his rules, people die in my name." Her eyes bore into his amber ones. "And I know that if you try to kill him without knowing for damn sure HOW to, then he'll kill those closest to you, too. You're part of his game now."

And for that, she was truly sorry.

Oran's face stays stonefaced throughout Ana's story, having a difficult time keeping his emotions in his own head. There are parts where he wants to erupt with fire, smashing his fist against the wall and watch when he pulls away to find the result of his work roll down the side of his palm. The stone here is not like the stone at home for on K.O.R. , it's always sunny and the rock face is smooth like a newborn baby. They take care of their buildings, every few years actually renovating aspects that need work such as the roof or walls. Here, the grain is rough to Oran's touch and he feels awkward as his fingers trace shapes in the stone as he listens to her words. She told him not to talk yet he still finds his mouth opening and uttering a few words. Not agreeing with her, the headstrong Kel'korian believes that he -can- help Ana and defeat Ceverno. He might be so bold as to say he could do it with one hand behind his back but Oran is no fool.

Shadow, being new to his life, seemed like a very capable wolf. Ana trusted him with her life and he, like Oran does now, swore to protect her from all harm. With so much as a look, this Ceverno character made the mighty beast tumble to the ground. Oran knows that her father is a strong soldier. There is no mistake in his judgement of the King, knowing that he could easily knock down a building with so much as a tail flick. Ugh, tails. As the story unfolds, Oran's nonsense drawings on the outer rim of the pillar stop. He looks across the way at Ana, not really sure what he feels. A part of him feels sorry for her, having to go through all of this alone and without her family - being tortured. Yeah, Oran knows what it's like to be tortured. Part of his basic training is resilience. The more pain you feel and often, the less surprising it is to those who actually want to extract information. All the brothers have had this training, even Fredrakio. Halting for the festivities, Oran is sure they'll come for him soon enough.

Those hawk like eyes follow Ana as she starts to pace, his arms folding over one another. "I never expected..." He starts, blowing out a huff of air, unsure of what to think. "Let me digest that, hm?" Closing his eyes, Oran quietly meditates on what he wishes to say. The seconds feel like hours as they slowly tick by. Soon those amber hues move to find hers once more. "I'm part of his game? So it's either comply to whatever crap he tries to pull or else my family dies? One by one, being picked off." It's obvious Oran is worried for what may come next, the light chewing of his lower lip only greatening once he starts talking. Keeping the steady gaze between them, Oran hardly blinks. "What game? Is there anything you can tell me about that? What does he make you do?"

She is surprised he is so calm. Oh, she can smell the worry and the anger rolling off of him, but his words are logical, evenly said and Ana feels her own anger boil down to a simmer and she takes a deep breath, stopping her pacing. She lets her palm rest against the rough stone of the pillar and looks at her nails, letting them grow into claws for a moment, thinking about what she'd like to do to the male who's made her life a living hell before she retracts them again and faces Oran once more.

"That's exactly what it means. Though, it probably won't start with your family. It will be a friend first or a child. A pet. Someone you would grieve over." Ana swallows and shakes her head, moving to the stone wall and sitting on it, crossing her legs and looking at her hands again, voice quiet. "I've had forty-five people killed in my name. I remember all of them, but they weren't all part of my life. He likes to keep it random, keep you guessing."

Her gold-hazel eyes come back up to his amber ones and she is strangely reassured to see that he is still looking at her, still paying attention. The fire in his gaze - something she now understands so much better after seeing what he could do - is comforting even though she knows he doesn't even mean for it to be. She doesn't understand why, but it doesn't really matter right now either as she answers his questions, her own eyes tired and yet hard at her next words.

"The game is simple. Do what he wants, don't piss him off and he *might* show mercy. He might not kill someone. Anything can trigger him. He didn't kill Shadow because of me, but because of what you said. You insulted him." She shakes her head almost as soon as he words are out of her mouth, knowing that's not really all true. "No....no, I called you. He told me to call you and I did. Shadow's death was not your fault. You didn't know, but now you do and you have to remember for both our sake's."

"You can't make him mad. He's going to do everything he possibly can to make you screw up, but in his own twisted way, he'll follow the rules of his own game. Don't anger him and those around you have a chance at not dying."

Ana, very purposely, does not answer his last question.

At least on the outside Oran is calm, just like the ground covering up a volcanic hotspot. Internally, he can't believe what he is hearing, the anger returning. His face flushes but he keeps his calm voice. "Then I shouldn't go to my family and warn them?" Biting his tongue, he can't help but just shake his head from left to the left and then back again. Letting out a truly aggravated breath, he taps his fist to the pillar. "If I can't defeat him then I will have to just crumble and do whatever he wants." Oran clenches his teeth together, not wanting to admit to defeat. Giving up without a fight and just laying on his back, letting this man he doesn't know dictate what he can and can't do. No. This is not the way Oran wishes to live his life.

"Forty-five people..." Oran breathes, not being able to stop thinking of Divi. He wonders if Ceverno knows abut her. Will she be the first target if he doesn't listen? Will she be able to defend herself? Will she ... just lay down as Shadow did? Closing his eyes, he takes in a sharp breath, not wanting to think about it. His friends and his family will die unless he shields himself from his pride and foils, not taking any stand against Ceverno. "It's a stupid game." He remarks softly to himself, looking back up at Ana, his eyes hurting to know the death and chaos that will come if he doesn't break down. "I have to ..." Then she talks about Shadow and blames him. He flairs up, the hairs on his arm stand, threatening to release the flame. Having complete control, Oran breathes out and just shakes his head.

"I shouldn't have answered." He quickly retorts when she blames him for killing Shadow. Before he can continue, she takes it back and no matter what she may say now, the words have been said. Shying away form Ana, he pretends to look over the courtyard. "He told you to call me? So..." That means that no matter what, Shadow would have met his fate. If Ana kept to herself, she would most likely have been tortured again, Oran feels. "Then I'll just keep my mouth closed..." He tells her shortly, "Fall back and recoil. Like a slug. Like a--" His teeth clench, still trying to calm himself down but to no ends can he keep his expressions off of his face. "Would he be angered if I keep a watchful eye on you? Whether you want to or not, I'll be protective. You -are- my wife and I have to."

Ana understands his struggle, she does...intimately. She's been living this way for sixty years, looking over her shoulder, dreading when he might show up again and hoping that he won't. That by some miracle, he's died or lost interest. She watches Oran, watches him struggle and her heart hurts to have brought another person into this. This isn't what she wanted. She didn't want to be married or have her fate tied to Oran...but she also recognizes that their combined fates are not of his doing, not his fault and though she does not like him....she wouldn't have wished this horror on her husband for anything.

Her own voice is quiet when she speaks, but there is a hard edge to it as well as she studies him, her eyes following his every much, thoughtful and volatile all that the same time. "You can't tell anyone, but that doesn't mean you can't fight him, Oran." Her eyes catch his own and she smirks, defiance in the depth of her gold-hazel hues. She hasn't broken yet and she has the most bold of thoughts to think Oran won't either.

"You asked what he makes me do and while I will not share with you the things I have complied to, I will tell you this; He wants me to kill for him and I won't do it. I have learned to choose my battles and if you want to survive this without breaking, you will learn to as well, but that doesn't mean he wins. No matter how many he kills or what he does, if you can hold on to something that makes you who you are, he doesn't win."

Ana's face is full of anger and her eyes spark cold fire as she hops off the wall and comes to stand before Oran, her gaze holding his with an iron will that hasn't bent. "I am scared of him. I can't fight him and I don't have a talent that can combat his own. He is the wind and as long as I bend slightly, he won't break me." A smile flickers over her face as she studies her husband's face, a deep respect in her expression that she doesn't hide. It is the one thing she can feel about him genuinely without confusion. She barely understands her own words, though, as they come out of her mouth and its almost like someone is speaking through her. Her own voice causes the hair's on Ana's arms to rise.

"But you, Oran....you are the mountain and no matter how a storm rages, you won't bow to it, you won't break. Ceverno has found an easy target with me because I can not match him, but you can and someday, you will. Your fire will consume him. Ceverno has made a mistake in choosing you. He just doesn't know it yet."

His nostrils flare up when she tells him that he -can- fight back. How can he do such a thing? No wonder she has lost so many people for she doesn't abide by the rules. She twists and turns them only to have people she loves die. Oran's hate bubbles over and he actually finds himself hitting the pillar with a balled up fist. It wasn't so hard that he could break his hand but it's enough to release some of his anger. "Then I won't tell anyone. I won't utter a damn word to anyone. It's between you and me. I don't understand how we can possibly shake this man off. You say he strikes like a snake and you never know when or where he is going to kill. Anything can anger him so is it -really- worth it to even say anything at all? Or will that just make him mad and *bam* another loved one dead." His hand flies up and he can't help but start to snarl at himself.

Upon hearing that Ana is scared of him, Oran places his hands on his hips, his back towards her. "You cant possibly fight him alone. But now that there are two of us in this game of his, perhaps our chances will heighten." Nothing can, however, calm Oran down except a good fight. At least that or just a damn training session with himself in order to release some of the fire burning his very blood. But seeing her face and that iron will that is behind it, Oran cannot help but soften up just a little bit. "We -will- find a way if you back up your words. If he won't break you then we will have to break him first." Nodding, Oran feels a little hope but it's quickly dashed when he realizes the realization of their odds. "Gah." He growls.

When she starts to speak, like someone is speaking through her, Oran can't help but back away from her. "What the h--" he starts to utter, fear actually tingling up his spine. "W- what?" He shakes his head at her words, not wanting to hear them. "A mountain? I'm not a mountain!" He quickly shouts but then the 'spirit' finishes up what it's saying through Ana. "I'll have to stand strong then. Ceverno will die." Still shocked, Oran just starts waving his arms at her, not believing that this is happening. What was that? How... what.... aaah! He screams and just walks out through the courtyard away from Ana. "Too weird." He growls, shaking his head. "See you tonight!" He calls over his shoulder, needing time just to think to himself. It's either that or he will find his brother and start another spar. No, he can't do that. He has to be in top shape for that stupid festival. There ought to be dancing, Oran is sure of it. He hates dancing unless it's traditional Kel'korian style and here, in this place, he is sure it's going to be all but that.

Ana looks after him with wide eyes, almost more startled by his reaction to her words than she is at the words themselves. Her fingers come up to her lips, though, and she frowns, looking away from where Oran has gone to the desert. A thought wisps through her mind, but it's gone before she can grasp it, fluttering away in the wind and she lets it go with a sigh. Ana straightens then and it's like she puts her armor back on, shedding the fear and the uncertainty as her eyes narrow at the horizon.

She has lived this long, survived this horror until this point and she's lived her life despite it. She cares for those that she will and she fights for what she believes in. She laughs and cries and eats, sings, dances, spars, sleeps, plays and loves despite Ceverno and in the end, that is her greatest weapon against him. She can't forget that and she won't. Somehow, seeing Oran so angry, so ready to give up one minute and then so determined the next even as he is in turmoil...it reminds her of what she's fighting for and it strengthens her resolve once more. This psycho, this evil snake will not win. She's vowed that many times and she still means it.

Ana smiles into the wind that suddenly whirls her red hair around and she turns from the landscape to go back inside, her spirit strengthened even if she still has no idea how this is all going to work out. She doesn't have to. She just has to keep fighting. She WILL back up her words.

And right now, she needs to go burn her wolf. He's waited long enough.

Later that night, before dinner, the festival starts outside in the town. The market is structured so that the stalls all circle around a large fountain in curving rows of wooden stalls. Having the whole place clear, there is easily what feels like a mile of space that makes up the diameter moving away from the fountain. Easily towering over even the tallest of men, this fountain is made of glassy opal with what seems to be a lightening effect of green stuck in the middle of the stone. Tonight, it's decorated with both Kel'korian colors as well as Saliphian dancing together in the breeze. The gray and red tails of his colors right next to her green and purple. For the rest of the day, there is not a cloud in the sky and the stone is quite hot but still, the festival starts. Slowly the marketplace is cleaned up and the stalls are replaced with tables and chairs one one side and food on the other side. There are so many choices ranging from a sweet and creamy vegetarian soup to a spicy cured meat that makes even the toughest of men cry from the trickling heat down their throats.

The first members there are Oran's family, greeting the commoners with large smiles and hardy handshakes. Gev stands next to his two younger brothers, Quellv and Fredrakio. Quellv is a loud boy, always voicing his opinion and not caring what other people think. Together they make their rounds before sitting down at one of the larger tables, starting to dig into the evening meal. Oran has not shown since Yuvo confronted him in the courtyard - he seemed angry, furious actually, but Yuvo soon calmed his son down. It burned inside of Oran, wanting to warn his father but knowing he has to keep his lips closed. Bringing his son to his own chambers, Yuvo presents to him a bracelet, their gift to Ana. It has a ruby in the middle, easily clasping around her wrist. They know that she would rather have a ring around her tail but this jewel is priceless and from the deep mines his family has underneath the city. Knowing it will make a fine gift, Oran takes it from his father, pocketing the thick band before going to his own chambers to change.

Looking presentable again, Oran is downed in looser clothing but he still has the bold colors of his fire red and iron gray. His pants are baggy and he doesn't even bother to put a proper shirt on. Instead, there is a sash crossing his chest with her colors on it. He has no doubt that his colors will be on her somewhere. Exiting the palace, he keeps his flamesword at his belt, easily making his way down the steps to the gate. Through there, he passes through the town, knowing he can protect himself against any thieves. Finally he makes it to the festival, using the beating of the drums to guide him. Once there, he is asked to dance by several young ladies but he politely declines, not wishing to dance tonight.

Ana made her way to the city on her own. She knows that if Oran found out..he'd probably be less than pleased, but she doesn't plan on telling him. Her eyes study the market that has been transformed and she finds it easy to smile at all the colors and smells that greet her. It's beautiful and reminds her so much of home that her heart lightens. It helps to see her own people mingling with the humans and Ana slips in among them. She knows she stands out, she's supposed to. She's the only Saliphian here with red hair - it's actually quite rare among her people, the closest color being orange - and Ana has not tried to cover it. In fact, earlier that day, she'd painstakingly braided dozens of ruby-red and silver flowers into her hair, letting it be a statement of her husband's colors all on its own. The red and silver bracelets on her wrist and the ones on her ankle does this as well and her red tail sport silver rings.

She wears a dark purple top - almost like a bathing suit top from the old world - that straps around her neck and behind her back, the ties hanging to her bare waist and fluttering in the breeze. Her skirt is green and wispy, reaching her knees. She looks like a sprite and her demeanor matches, mischievous and laughing as she flits away from potential dancing partners, her eyes searching for familiar faces. She spots Rakio first and smiles at him, making her way over, her hips instinctively moving to the beat. She's not aware of it, it's just natural. She stops behind his chair and leans down just slightly to kiss his cheek fondly.

"Rakio! Are you having fun?"

As she waits for him to answer, Ana straightens and smiles with a genuine sweetness at Nevv and then with friendliness at Yuvo, Gev and Quellv, acknowledging them.

The young boy is laughing at something his elder brother said. Turning his eyes to her, his eyes quickly come up to give her a hug as he squeezes out of the bench where he was sandwiched between the two. "I am having a lot of fun! Here, come, taste this!" He quickly reaches out for her hand and places some fried strips of meat in her palm. "It's reeeeaaallllllyyyyyy good! You have to try it. Please try it, won't you?" Chuckling, he places them in her hand, not giving her another option. "Oh, Ana! This is Gev, you know him, don't you? And the brown haired one is Quellv." Leaning closer to whisper into Ana's ear, "Make quick conversation for he won't keep his trap shut for one moment. Once you start a conversation - you'll be stuck in it for hours and hours. He may be really silly sometimes, like he doesn't want to accept other people. But, my friend, don't worry and just keep him happy and you'll be fine."

Oran, on the other hand, has not sat down with his family for a group of girls are trying to get him to dance. Carefully he tries to weave his way in the other direction of the dancing starting by the southern area of the circle where the music is. "Oh come on ladies, no, you really don't want to make me dance." Trying to wave his arms, one girl snakes her arm around his bare torso and pulls him right into the madness of the swirling people. "You don't - gah, understand!" He tries and tell her but she quickly takes lead, the two of them awkwardly twisting about, Oran not having a clue what he is doing. Once attempting to know what he is doing, Oran's tight muscles start to loosen up just a little as he focuses on the lady with him. She is pretty enough but way too young for him, it's obvious by the look in her eyes that she is completely mesmerized by him. Oran just sort of looks down at her, not even bothering to speak until she finally does.

Ana laughs, taking the meat and because he is so insistent, she takes a bite. Her eyes immediately water at the hot spices and she coughs, but is grinning at the same time as she fans her mouth, knowing it's not going to do any good but attempting to cool that burn that way anyway. She's not even sure who's drink she takes as she reaches to the table blindly, but she doesn't even care as those around her are laughing merrily at her expression as she downs whatever is in the glass. Giving a gasp once she's done, Ana gives Rakio an accusing look but her eyes dance with mirth.

"You are as bad as my twin brothers!" she chides him and then clears her still hot throat and nods a greeting to Gev and then one to Quellv, too. Taking Rakio's advice into account, she keeps her conversation with Quellv short, merely asking if he's enjoying the festival and then turning to both Rakio and Gevzio. "Well, I will save a dance for all of you if you'd like one, but right now....I think I shall go...'rescue' my husband." Her eyes have found Oran and she watches his movement for a moment before she chuckles and starts toward him. Her body weaves through the dancers as if they aren't whirling about and her smile is almost predatory - almost - as the music for this dance ends and she taps the girl on the shoulder. She doesn't even have to say anything as the girl knows who she is and leaves with a bow as Ana turns her attention to Oran.

Her gold-hazel eyes look him up and down and she chuckles, meeting his gaze again, not caring if he glares at her or not as she speaks to him, mischief in her voice and a clear challenge in her eyes. "Dance with me?"

The Princess doesn't wait for him to respond as she takes his hand - it's the first contact she's initiated between them in public - and pulls him back into the throng of people, her voice floating over her shoulder. "I'll tell your mother if you don't." There is clear laughter in every word.

Rakio's own mouth has grown used to the tingling sensation running over his tongue and down his throat. The boy has eaten a full plate already! Licking his soiled fingers, Rakio gives her a devil of a smile, grinning as if he had just killed someone. "How do you like it, Ana?" He asks with an innocent look to his face before reaching over to grab one of the napkins for her to use. Grabbing his own on his lap, he is quick to twist his fingers in the soft folds and reveal semi-clean fingers. "You have twin brothers?" Comes his sweet little giggle, "I never knew that! How old are they? What do they look like? Do they have wives too? Are they really silly," his hands move over his chest, "Like me? or really serious like Gev?" Turning to look at his eldest brother, he smiles and Gev jokingly adds,

"Hey Rakio, you have some dirt in your teeth!" Joking, he makes out half a gruff laugh but it's very forced. Quellv jabs in in the side with his elbow, causing Gev to yelp in surprise. A hand comes swiftly down to Quellv's head and gives him a good bonk! As the two brothers start a little fight, Yuvo takes in a deep breath and shakes his head, this attitude is often found when brothers start to fight. Still, Yuvo does nothing, letting the two sort it out themselves. Rakio jerks a thumb in the blue haired man's direction. Rakio, never leaving a good laugh though, starts to pat his belly and giggle. Quellv and Gev just roll their eyes at one another, greeting Ana with kind words before moving back to their 'manly' conversation that she wouldn't understand. Or at least that's what they think of it.

Oran on the other hand, is finally enjoying himself, still nearly squishing the poor girls toes with every other step. His face is beet red with either internal anger or just embarrassment from absolutely failing. His body movement isn't fluid, it comes out in jerky movements where he can't even attempt to rotate his weight around his hips and still stay on his two feet. There are plenty of times where he bumps into the poor girl. She, being a good spirit, only laughs it off and tries to teach him the proper way. Once the girl lets him go, Oran finds himself nearly losing his balance. Seeing her gaze upon someone as she bows, he thinks that it's one of his brothers. Not even getting the chance to say goodbye, she fades into the mass of bodies and he turns quickly around, "Hey, she was kind of-- oh." Oran starts to remark, thinking he could compliment his dancing parter by saying he meant to be tripping all over the place in order to feel her up. Guy talk. Guy smack. None of it was true.

Staring blankly at her, his cheeks redden again before he clears his throat and tries to just pass over the hiccup. "Did you see the way I was dancing? You -don't want to- gguah!" She grabs his hand anyway and tugs him into the throng of people. "I never agreed to this--" Oh but that challenge in her eyes is enough to make Oran grin. He will prove himself to her since he swears he saw a playful bit of doubt in her eyes. "Fine, you win. You win! I'll dance." He huffs out, clearly not being too happy. "You'll have to... watch out for your toes though." Swallowing, he hears the other bells and jingles around them of happy couples hardly even trying as they lift one another into the air and twirl around themselves. Gulping, Oran suddenly feels his hands grow clammy.

Ana chuckles at his words, but she doesn't say anything back, not at first as she watches him look at the other dancers. She can see he's nervous and it amuses her while at the same time, she shows a rare side of herself, a sweeter side as she touches his arm and brings his attention back to her. Despite their initial bad start to the day, her demeanor is both soft and yet clearly mischievous toward him as she starts to sway, speaking so only they can hear.

"Stop thinking. This isn't a battle. It's not something that needs strategy or plans. Forget the steps, you don't need to know them. Just feel."

She laughs, a low and beautifully haunting sound as her hips start to move with the beat of the music, of the new song that starts to play and Ana's gold-hazel eyes hold his amber, just daring him to look away. Her body is lithe and smooth, the same flowing movements that she uses in battle are displayed here in a gentler and even more seductive light. Ana twirls around Oran, her fingers dancing across his arms and back before she comes to his front again and grins.

"Feel the drums through your veins, the beat of the vibrations travel through your feet. Be a flame, Oran. Dance in the wind. Let go."

Her own feet follow the beat without a care if it is the right step in the dance or not and her skirt flares around her as does her hair as she twirls again, hands reaching for the sky as she comes to face him again. Ana's laughter fills the air again, blending with the music as she herself does.

Feeling the tips of her warm fingers against his bare muscle, he has no option but to flinch at first. Panning his vision back from the congregation of lush dancers, he nearly forgets how to speak. Indeed his mouth opens but no sound comes from those caverns. It takes him nearly three tries before he can utter a word out, his eyes admiring young and old hips of the women as well as the strong clapping and bouncing feet of the men. "It's quite amazing." sputters out, nearly drooling at the sight of so much skin. Knowing it must look awful, the prince gawking at other ladies as his own wife is right there. His eyes no longer divulge themselves on the lesser folk, turning back to Ana as she starts her own movements.

Oran, on the other hand, stands like that mountain. Towering, strong, and of course, unwavering to any beat the music may have. "I'm not a dancer." The cold chill comes back over him, hating to be forced into events such as this one under a type of blackmail. Glancing around him though, Oran starts to feel like quite the sore thumb, a gut sensation that he rarely feels. Hearing her words and feeling her fingers graze this smooth skin, for he took a nice soak before coming out, the muscle beneath like riverstone. Closing his eyes, he takes a deep breath in. The drums remind him of war drums of the old days - the ancient days. Soon he finds his leg tapping to the beat of the music.

Swallowing, he is not sure -how- to move his limbs though. Does he just flail out in the confusion he feels right now or should he be slow? Another breath is taken in. "I hate you for this, you know." He growls to her but not in a gruff sense, more like a 'I'll get you for this' in some way where you'll be in a situation where you don't know what's going on or how to act. Socially, he has adapted over the years but to entertain his own body with running water-like gestures - these ... dances. That is not him. His stiff arms huddle into his chest before trying to feel the music. After time moves on, he finds himself trying to follow Ana, turning as she does yet his whole soul isn't in it. Those arms just aren't moving properly, cutting the air instead of gracefully soothing it.

Blinking, he remembers his flame form. After all, it's just a dance isn't it? Even with the punches and kicks it does make him move fluidly! Opening his eyes, he looks as if he has found the answer to a million dollar question. Not trying to scar Ana with his bug eyed expression, he is quick to slick back into his attention stance, bowing to her before commencing with a fluid martial art technique. His weight is centered with he kicks, being sure not to have people there as well as with punches and sooner or later he finds himself lapping his movements with the beat of the drum. Oran actually starts to laugh, amazed that his body is actually doing this! An expression you would find on Rakio takes over his face as he twists and turns, even moving to Ana and letting them swerve around one another either touching palms, wrapping arms around one another or their waists. It's a rare moment to see Oran's face light up the way it does, his eyes actually crackling.

She'd just about given up hope on him. He is uncoordinated and stiff and clearly not interested in following any of her advice....or maybe he is but is incapable of it? Ana doesn't know and she is about to call it off and let him go back to standing at attention, acting like the soldier he is. She doesn't expect him to suddenly 'get it' and watches with wide eyes as he starts to... implement battle moves into the dance?

Her confusion doesn't keep her body from moving, though, and soon she is glad for that fact as it becomes apparent to her that Oran is actually relaxing and his movements are becoming less battle-like and more fluid with the music. She laughs again as he joins her and their skin touches, her body starting to match his even as his is matching hers. His expression, the amazement and happiness there makes something unknown leap inside of her and Ana finds her eyes locked with his. The fire in his gaze, the heat there as the flames inside him lead his body call to her again and this time she senses it, but she doesn't understand.

And then they are whirling apart again and the moment is gone but the ease in which they are stepping together, dancing as partners instead of rivals is not and its enough for Ana as she whirls in his arms and then comes to an abrupt stop as the music ends. Her fingers are on his forearms and his are around her waist and when she grins at him, it's in genuine admiration as she slowly separates herself from his hold, dipping her head, teasing in her gold-hazel eyes.

"Not bad, Husband O'mine."

She laughs softly then and flits away, not knowing if he'll follow or not, but knowing she owes his brothers dances if they want them. And she's thirsty.

Once Oran hears the music stop, the chi that had been moving him drains right from his body. Those flames quickly being blown out, the rattling of the drums carrying across the square. Catching the air around him, he breathes unevenly, his chest rising and falling in time to his heartbeat. Those drums still play in his head, the ecstasy of the spellbinding moments still seen in his eyes. For a fire that grows large enough is hard to douse quickly. Perhaps they'll shine with that confidence for the rest of the night for Oran has accomplished a task he never thought he could do. All these years of declining dances with pretty girls and even flirtatious boys just for fear of himself. Not trusting his inner flame even though he tames it so well. Perhaps he should meditate more in order to fully mold himself and become a master.

Feeling his arms around her waist, Oran can't help but feel a pull towards her. Swallowing, he swears he sees signals that clearly aren't there. Why would she want to kiss him anyway? Spending this dance with her really showed him how she works, the feeling of her flesh on his just increasing his feelings. No, it is not love he feels but just a little push in admiring his wife's beauty. Not only is she a great warrior but she also can be calm and gentle, her actions shown to him on this night. She admired him throughout that dance and his hungry eyes bore into her every chance he got - his feelings clearly from her physical attributes. Perhaps in time, he ponders, they will be allowed such graces again - to look at one another and not see hate. Tonight, he is not worrying about the events of the day.

"Uh..." Is all he can utter out and once she dips her head down, he swears he inches his face closer to her. Getting a better grip on reality, Oran is quick to drop his hands from her rounded hips, knowing her fingers will fall from his biceps. "Thank you." comes his soft ring of a voice, cheeks glowing a bit as he even smiles at her once more. Opening his mouth to speak more - she is already fluttering away and Oran can't help but keep her gracefulness in his minds eye. While they danced, he laughed. While they danced, he smiled. While they danced, he felt what a husband should feel like. But just because the dance is over, does that mean Oran has to stop too?

Ana ended up dancing with many partners that night and she saw Oran doing the same. Whenever their eyes met, they'd smile a bit at each other before simply enjoying the music again. Ana wasn't sure what seemed to have changed between them, but she honestly wondered if she had a psycho to thank for it. Perhaps being forced into a dangerous situation together had loosened the barriers between them just a little.

If that was the case...Ana couldn't say she was against it and if she was honest - and she would NOT tell Oran this - she was glad it was him she'd gotten stuck with in this crappy situation. He really was a mountain and she had no doubt that Ceverno was about to crash and burn right into him.

It was pleasant thought that kept a smile on her face the rest of the night....even if she DID lose the argument with Oran about the bedroom. He'd threatened to go to his father... Guess he really did get that payback for her comment about telling his mother...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next two and half months seemed to fly by and Ana found her days filled to the brim with work, exploring her new home, training and THEN play. This planet was starting to take shape into a hub of commercial trading and both she and Oran were more often than not buried in paperwork and plans. They had their own advisers and overseers now and their city had begun to expand to accept the swelling populace. In truth, they were the rulers here in everything but name now that Oran's family had left - Ana had been greatly saddened to see Nevv and Rakio, especially him, go.

Still, she and her husband were more than capable of managing now that they were on speaking terms - and not just to argue. They didn't touch on too many personal things and though they shared a room, they'd moved to a larger on that had been redesigned to give them both separate beds and bathrooms, a partial wall between them that left a great gap near both their doors, a way to get to each other quickly - though, Ceverno had not been to visit again, something that unnerved both of them, though, they didn't speak of it. All in all, things were actually going pretty well.

It was surprising to Ana how much she'd learned about the people here and the planet itself. She was starting to settle, to like this place and she was sincerely beginning to bond with the people. Which was why she knew something was very wrong when Andy, a human boy of about twelve and a servant who worked on the landing pads, came running into the counsel chambers with an alarmed look on his face. She pushed away from the table of plans she'd been pouring over with Oran and faced the boy immediately, crouching to his level and catching him with her tail when he nearly ran into her, already babbling.

"Someone's crashed! It's a Saliphian ship, a fighter ship! It crashed on the pads!"

Ana's gold-hazel eyes met Oran's amber briefly in an unspoken communication - something that was new to them, but getting better as time went on - before she darted toward the door.

The Re'kor family enjoyed their last days on the planet, even staying longer just because they wished to stay with Ana and make sure she is well before they depart. There is a strong bond in Oran's family, the group tending to stick together. It was very emotional for them to part ways and even though Oran didn't outwardly cry, perhaps his eyes had shown great sorrow. For his family was all he had left - his only connection to back home and to Divi. The night before Gev departed with his two brothers, the King and Queen arriving in the afternoon after a long detour, Oran went to him. Gev, oblivious to Oran's true colors, merely saw his plead to check in on Divi as a sign of well being and a token from one friend to another. Divi severed all ties to Oran once she heard of the marriage placing him and Ana in the same line. Gev, knowing this and never quite wondering why, agrees. A chip is given to Gev for Divi - a recorded message encoded for her eyes only.

Never the less, Oran has become more comfortable with Ana ever since they danced together under the stars. Respect for the warrior wife of his has become apparent for he has seen her fight as well as teach. Those two are opposite sides of the spectrum in Oran's mind for fighting is instinctual and teaching, to him, is from books and knowledge. He still ponders whether the woven oak fence paneling between the two rooms is a good idea. Being as sharp as a tack, Oran really never seems to let his guard down and sometimes he hears creaks of the floor. This sound makes him leap out of bed and check on Ana, seeing if she is alright. He does this for her protection, he knows that much. Ever since feeling her body up against his while dancing, he finds his heart reacting more and more to her words, gestures and expressions than he used to. Perhaps he is even starting to care for her on a deeper level, his instincts as her husband wanting to keep her safe and out of harms way. Before he would just do it for family honor but now he is doing it for her.

Always rising early, Oran has gotten into the habit of starting his own training outside in the nearest courtyard. Specifically asking for their room to be overlooking such gardens, wanting to be able to hear if Ceverno shows his face again. He thought that the neatest invention is a small button placed on the edge of Ana's desk. All she has to do is press it and a soft glow from a light fixture will glow underneath her window sill. Oran being right in the courtyard, finds himself glancing at her window often just to see if everything is alright. Other then that, he too has been working on plans non stop, also innovating irrigation systems as well as a clear water station for better drinking quality. Perhaps his most significant achievements are in the military, his strong suit. He trains men as well as makes corrections and oversees plans.

Resting his hands on the table, he looms over the glass screen where the two of them are brooding over. Blinking, he tries and calm the quibbling boy down, telling him to breathe and just start form the beginning. Letting Ana take care of his wobbly form, Oran quickly closes the plans, locking them up incase the room has an unexpected visitor. Grabbing Ana's arm, not in a cold manner but just helping her up, Oran guides the three of them to the pad. "Show us where. Are they hurt?" He asks in a calm manner, part of his mornings spent in deep meditation - learning to control that temper of his. Luckily Ana has already seen it lash out at Ceverno and hopefully he will never have to disable her with it as well. "Come, quickly, show us, son." Placing a reassuring hand on Andy's shoulder, Oran lets him lead the way, wanting Ana to be next in line as they jog down the hallway. What the hell could have happened? Crashing into the pad? Someone ought to be a very lousy pilot ... not to mention the damage. Gah, expenses.

Ana finds herself letting Oran take the lead, something she's doing more and more without realizing it. She's well aware that he's trying to protect her and while it had annoyed her at first, now she finds its comforting, expected almost. It's familiar and when he's gone, she finds herself wondering what he's doing and if he's all right. She supposes its natural now that they'd spent some time together. They are becoming friends, she can see that much and she knows how she treats her friends. She worries for her WingWarrior's too. It's not strange and she doesn't read much more into it than that.

Now she follows her husband out to the landing pads, listening to Andy tell them that he doesn't THINK anyone is hurt. The shuttle hadn't been on fire - well, not really - and that the ship didn't seem to have been attacked or anything. It had just...crashed.

Ana finds herself smiling at the boy, amused by his babbling - missing Rakio most likely - but she shushes him as they come to the landing pads. She comes to Oran's side then, but when she sees the ship, her eyes widen in instant recognition and without waiting she runs forward, evading any grab Oran might have made for her. She comes to the ship right as the pilot is falling out of it and literally catches him, steadying the male as he takes his helmet off. The two look at each other then and the male Saliphian is the first to speak, grinning. "Aww. I knew you missed me."

The Princess laughs and smacks him upside the head, letting go of him as she looks at the ship with horror. She doesn't even check on the male, knowing very well he's not injured or he'd already have been whining about it. "What have you DONE to her?!"

The male rolls his eyes. "Ahh, yes, always so concerned with the important things. Just some....minor damage, Ana. I'm sure it's nothing you can't fix."

"Fix?! She needs a complete overhaul!" Ana spits back, examining the fighter closely before the male reaches out and pulls her back, clearing his throat. "Ana, mind introducing me so the natives don't feel the need to shoot big scary guns?"

The Princess blinks and then looks back at Oran and the warriors who are now here. She smiles and steps calmly back to her husband, looking between the white-haired and tailed Saliphian and Oran. "Oran, this is Lanor, a friend of mine. Lanor, this is-"

"Your husband. Yeah, I know." Lanor doesn't look too pleased about that fact.

Seeing that Ana is letting him lead the way, his hand yearns for the fabric covering her form, finding himself placing a hand on her shoulder. As they walk, his fingers curl, seeing the wreckage. They really have to teach people how to land on a damn pad. It's -really- not that hard. For heaven sakes it's all stationary. Having to jump through hoops in his younger years, the Kel'korians have every citizen go through a rigorous space combat training. It's important for someone to know how to land as well as take off and hide or maneuver out of trouble. Taking in a deep breath, his fingers slide from her shoulder, taking a hard step forward but not progressing his steps. Looking at the areas of damage, he can tell if the ship will blow or not.

His wife bounds out for the ship before he has had a proper inspection and Oran tries to snatch her like a bug out of the air. Failing to do so, he starts after her. Upon the male embracing Ana, Oran finds a hot tingle start in his fingers. Not understanding why, he recoils back to the start of the landing pad, giving the two enough space. Why is he here? Who is he? Trying to hide the smile from his face, he enjoys seeing Lanor literally fall from the cockpit but not so much when it comes to the embrace. All evidence of a smile wipes itself cleanly from his lips. The soft pitter patter of warriors comes behind him and he feels a sudden rush of confidence. Having backup is always a smart idea.

The musical chiming of guns buzzing at the ready comes to light as the warriors all aim for Lanor. Oran, however, sees that he poses no threat and raises am arm, swiping his palm down, ordering them to lower their weapons. You stupid fools! My wife is right there with this man! Can't you use your damn eyes to see that he and her are friendly with one another? It's either that or Ana is a very good actress. Upon hearing his name, Oran's eyes perk up to her, the small smile returning to his lips. She hasn't forgotten about me after all. They're still too close for comfort though. Walking closer, Oran examines this newcomer, offering a hand despite the sharp comment. "I hope my status and relationship with my -wife- doesn't upset you, Lanor." He strikes back, steadying himself. "If it does, well, there is not much we can do, can we?" He smiles, loving the feeling of making these snide comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.