A Reluctant Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lanor smiles tightly and shakes Oran's hand, his grip like steel, his eyes glittering with dislike. "No, of course not. I am sure you make Ana very happy." His tone says he doesn't believe it at all and Ana looks between them, the smile fading from her face as she notes the tension radiating from the two males. She doesn't understand it, though. They've just met! What could they possibly have against each other? Deciding to cut the insults off completely, she turns back to Lanor, somehow instinctively backing into Oran's side as her body is starting to know that is its place to be. She feels comfortable there these days.

"Lanor, why are you here?"

The white-haired Saliphion takes his sharp eyes off of Oran reluctantly to focus on her and when he does his gaze softens, the smile returning to his face. It's a fond smile, but it lacks the casualness of a brother or even the teasing of a friend. It's more meaningful than that, but Ana doesn't seem to notice. "Visiting you isn't enough?"

Ana snorts, crossing her arms, tail flicking with impatience. "With you? No." She looked past him at the ship again and frowns. "And what DID you DO to that ship? I only fixed her six months ago!"

Lanor chuckles and rubs the back of his head. "Yeah, you can blame your present for that." Even as he speaks, he's going back to the ship and Ana raises her brows, puzzled. She turns her head to Oran, almost as if she's making sure its alright with him if she follows the other male. It's not because she needs his permission but because she can sense his tension and she still doesn't know what it's about. She trusts his judgement, though, and knows if he's alarmed there has to be a reason for it.

Lanor is already at the ship and he waves to her impatiently to come over, frowning when he sees she's looking at Oran. He can't understand why she's still standing beside the human she's been forced to marry.

Oran nods, his hand warm to the touch. He has to resist making his hand burst into flame, just to scare the poor fellow, daring him to mess with the foundations that are being set between Ana and himself. "It's tough indeed but I am doing my best to please her. I dare say she is starting to loosen up after two and a half months." Studying the white hair and firmness of the grip, Oran smiles in a satisfied manner, dropping his hand. Glancing back to Ana, he raises a suspicious brow, thinking it's rather rude for a friend just to let alone show up and then cause an absolute mess of the landing pad. Knowing Lanor is being snarky when he comments about Ana's happiness, Oran doesn't let it phase him. When she brings up fixing his ship six months ago, Oran smirks. "Having a track record, are we?" He breathes to himself, chuckling.

Upon the introduction of a present, Oran gulps, not knowing Ana's feelings towards this guy. Blinking, he scolds himself, knowing he shouldn't just jump to conclusions. Like he is one to chide them! He had to be taken away from Divi to marry Ana - perhaps it's the same deal here with Lanos. Chewing the inside of his lip, Oran looks worried once Lanos turns around. Those eyes tell Ana to be cautious. "We'll talk later, hm?" He breathes to Ana, his hand coming back to rest on her shoulder, a gesture seen from a friend to a friend. His temperature may have unsettled Lanor but to Ana, he knows it's comforting. "Do you wish me to stay or leave you two alone to ... catch up?"

Ana nodded, smiling at Oran as she touches his arm, the one on her shoulder and then starts toward the ship, her voice floating over her shoulder even as her hair does as she pushes it back, the wind catching the red mane and whipping it about. "Just stay a minute?" She glances back at him, eyes questioning before turning back again to Lanor. He's gone into the ship, but now he's coming out and there is something in his arms....something that wiggles and squirms and growls.

The Princess freezes, staring at the black-furred dire wolf in her friend's arms and Lanor grins at her, yelping slightly as the puppy bites him with needle-sharp teeth, it's lips drawn back over small fangs and fur bristling. "This is the terror that caused my crash. He chewed through the stabilizer cord and me. Doesn't seem to like me much." Even as he speaks, he hands the vicious puppy to Ana and she moves as if in a trance, taking the squirming bundle of fur. Her mind is already telling her not to get attached, that its dangerous to have something she'll care about near her with Ceverno's new arrival, but her arms are already cradling the puppy and her fingers are running through his fur and her heart...it's already lost.

The pup calms in her embrace almost immediately, looking at her with alert pale blue eyes as he starts to lick her fingers, a low growl of contentment in his throat. Lanor chuckles. "Well, that's the first time the little monster hasn't bit someone! Guess Jamekon was right."

Ana's head snaps up and her body stiffens. The puppy in her arms growls, baring his teeth again at Lanor even as the Princess stares at him with wide eyes. "What?" she breathes and the white-tailed Saliphian looks suddenly uncomfortable as he shrugs. "Jamekon, about a year ago before... Well, he told me to come to this planet, this day, this year and give you a black puppy from Shadow's last litter. He mated with Dinosia four months ago, remember? This is one of hers."

Ana's eyes have filled with tears by this point and her tail comes up to join her arms in cradling the black dire wolf pup. She is not sure whether she should feel overjoyed or saddened or amazed. She was holding a piece of Shadow and Jamekon...her brother had known. It made her heart ache to think of him even as it was swelling with happiness over this new gift. She managed to smile at her friend, but when she went to hug him, the puppy started to bark fiercely, lunging at the male with razor teeth and Ana laughed, stepping back again.

"Does he have a leash?" She's noted the collar on his neck and Lanor, giving the pup a baleful look, nods. "Yeah, it's in the ship. I'll-" He cuts off as Ana has already nodded and is walking back to Oran. Without warning or preamble, she dumps the puppy in his arms and grins at him with such a happy expression she's sure her eyes are glowing with it. "I'll be right back!" She darts back to the ship and climbs inside and the two males are left alone....with the puppy....who has settled down in Oran's arms without fuss after sniffing at him. He's now chewing gently on the man's thumb, quite calm.

Lanor blinks at the canine and then snorts. "Well, he's obviously not his father. Shadow was a great deal pickier." And he's sure that the great gray wolf would have hated Oran.

Once the pup comes into view, Oran has to resist walking over to Ana to greet the new wolf. He can't imagine how happy Ana must be to receive a new wolf so soon after Shadow has passed. Having to keep up his persona, Oran clasps his hands around his back and turns to look at the soldiers. "You may leave us. Everything is fine." A stern nod and a calculating look assures them that he is not to be questioned. At once the men bow and make their way to their usual positions along the spaceport. The young boy as long cantered off to ... do whatever. Oran admires the young kid, knowing that his training now will bring him lots of currency in the future. Sucking a deep breath in, he is quick to cradle the black ball of fur in his arms when Ana gives him to him. "You could have given me some sort of ... sign!" He growls, not in an unkind manner like he used to week prior but one that could accompany his eye roll. "I nearly dropped him and it's your fault!" Grinning, he nods his head, "Go, and I'll be here. But before you go, isn't he adorable? Does he have a name?"

She quickly fades from view and Oran looks back to the small pup, "Well, aren't you a good pup. Just like your-" glancing up to meet Lanor's gaze, Oran shrugs. "Shadow didn't detest me either. Perhaps I have a certain way with animals that I never knew about. We Kel'korian's are more of a bird loving species than this adorable thing here." Letting the little one chew on his thumb, Oran can't help but crack yet another smile, turning his eyes to the small animal. He feels warm inside and is bound to be a comforting temperature for the wolf. "You can ask her," He nods his head in the direction of the ship, "when she gets back, it's most strange. Still puzzles her. The day that her family left, they brought Shadow for her and he... didn't even growl or snarl at me - just licked my hand and went back to sitting beneath her feet."

Lanor's face is priceless as he blinks in disbelief, looking from the puppy to Oran and then back at the way Ana has gone, a frown coming to his eyes. "I see." It's all he said, stiff and when Ana came back, he watched her with an intent expression, as if trying to figure something out.

The Princess doesn't notice or else ignores the look as she comes back over to Oran and happily takes the puppy back from him. The little devil snaps at her playfully and she chuckles, bopping his nose to reprimand him. "I think I'll call him Azule." she answers her husband finally, having been able to think it over in the ship. Her gold-hazel eyes look up into Oran's amber ones and she smiles, but tilts her head, studying him for a minute in a puzzled way before she looks back at Azule and then Lanor.

"Has he ever been around Kel'korians?"

"No. Hasn't even been outside his own litter." Lanor supplies and then speak again before Ana can, jerking his head at Oran. "He says Shadow took a liking to him." The displeasure in his tone is clear as Shadow had never really taken a liking to anyone but Ana and Jamekon and he'd tolerated the rest of Ana's family. The gray wolf had never been overly friendly with Ana's friends or WingWarrior's though, and Lanor had been no different.

Ana's eyebrows go up and she only nods, looking back at Azule, scratching his stomach lightly. "He's right."

"Shadow hated humans." Lanor said darkly and Ana looked up, her eyes suddenly sparking with a fire that would have surprised HER had she'd seen her own expression. It's protective. "Well, apparently Shadow didn't think my husband fit into that category." she retorts with a whip-like snap in her voice and Lanor seems to back down, holding his hands up in a gesture of peace, a smile on his face. "Okay, okay. Glad your wolf didn't savage him. Probably would have put a damper in peace negotiations anyway, eh?" His tone is an attempt at joking, but Ana still doesn't look amused. The fact that he'd backed down at her anger is exactly why Ana has never had any attraction toward Lanor and she turns to Oran.

"Would you mind giving me a minute?" she finally asks, voice tight.

Oran hands the puppy over, feeling an odd connection to Azule. But of course he has never really had a connection to an animal since he was a child. His father always tried and warn him about responsibility, Oran surprisingly enough having none of it as a boy and young adult. It's a large part of the reason Oran was sent away as soon as he turned fourteen to train to be a soldier, not that he wasn't training before, but this time he wouldn't be in the confines of the Military district. Having to leave his parents, Oran soon understood what his father tried to tell him all those years prior. Only when he held a dying friend in his arms did Oran understand pain and the price that comes with responsibility.

"You have to take him already?" Oran jokes, a bit of a smile playing on his lips before fading once Lanor starts to speak again. Quickly becoming irritated just by the mans voice, Oran runs a hand through his short hair. "I'm glad that Azule will get the chance to meet some Kel'korians so that he may grow accustomed to being with both our kind, my dear." Flashing a glance to Ana, his lips twitch very quickly in a smile directed to her. Then Lanor had to open his mouth. Oran quickly closes his eyes and lets out a silent but deep breath. "Believe me, I am glad Shadow didn't savage me either. It would be most disappointing."

Knowing that Lanor's words will hurt his wife, Oran is already making his way closer to Ana. Behind her comes his hand, lightly pressing on the small of her back, assurance that he is calm and will handle Lanor's words with a grain of salt. As should she. Blinking up at Lanor, he is glad that Ana knows her place, feeling the anger ripple off of her skin. Hearing that Ana wishes for a moment alone with Lanor, Oran's body tightens because he does not like the idea one bit. Every fiber of his body is telling him to say no, to stand his ground. But... he will comply this once. "You have 60 seconds." He tells her bluntly, moving in to place a peck of a kiss on her temple before moving off of the landing pad to sit in the space station - waiting for them to be done with their talk. Oran, being smart, picks a seat right next to the glass window looking out onto the pad, being able to see all the gestures they do. Luckily for him, the sun's glare shimmers across the glass.

His gestures actually work to calm Ana significantly and she is grateful for them as she smiles a little after Oran, almost not really aware of her own expression until Lanor speaks again, his voice dropping any of the formal politeness he'd had before. He and Ana have fought together, been friends for years. He feels he has the right to this liberty.

"I don't like him."

Ana sighs and she would have crossed her arms had she not been holding Azule who is going to sleep in her hold. As it is, her tail twitches in agitation, but she's in control of it still and that's a good sign. "You don't like any human. Forgive me if I don't jump in alarm, Lanor."

The white Saliphian hisses between his teeth, drawing slightly closer to her, looking down into her eyes with a hard, but searching expression. "You can't tell me that you actually LIKE it here, Matawing!" He puts emphasis on her title, her war-name and Ana looks away, frowning, but not ashamed. No, she's just uncomfortable as she looks around and her eyes spot Andy. She's become fond of the boy, human and all and unlike two months ago, she's no longer quite so proud of her killing of the humans during the war. It was necessary, yes, but that doesn't mean she has to like it now.

"I don't dislike it here, Lanor. It's different, but it's not bad." she replies firmly, looking back at him, believing her own words at this point. Lanor glared around, though, looking the way Oran has gone specifically and then back at the Princess. "And him?" he ask scathingly and Ana lets out a slight growl that has Azule waking in her arms, head snapping up. He instantly knows what is upsetting her and bares his teeth at Lanor. Both the Saliphian's ignore him for the moment, glaring at each other as Ana's answers with an even tone that is very controlled. Suddenly, though, she wants to bash her friend across the head with her tail and walk away, back to Oran. The emotion surprises her, but not enough to derail her from her answer.

"He's my husband and an honorable man."

"And a lover?"

Ana grits her teeth. He has no right to ask that, friend or not, but she's trying for patience and answers. "We're friends."

Lanor snorts and he looks both angered and yet worried at the same time as he shakes his head and takes another step toward her, hand reaching out as if he might touch her before he thinks better of it, noting her stiffness. Ana had never really trusted him to comfort her. It's something that's grated at him for a while. "He doesn't know you, Ana."

Now the Princess is angry and her tail lashes behind her violently as she hisses at him, gold-hazel eyes furious. "Who are you to be the judge of that! You haven't been here! You haven't been witness to our interactions or progress!" He didn't know anything! He didn't know how hard it had been at first! How WELL things were going now! How much she relied on Oran now! And that realization doesn't worry her anymore!

"Does he know about your terror of storms? Or about your scars from torture? Can he tell anyone your favorite food or what songs you like? Does he know your favorite dance? Does he know your dreams or your struggles? What about your brother, Ana? Does he care that you're heartbroken over Jamekon? Does this barbarian know anything!? How can you call him your friend?"

"Stop it! Stop it! Just stop!" She's yelling at him now and Ana doesn't even care. She's angry and his words hurt, pierce her like well-aimed arrows and she just wants them to go away and leave her alone. She knows he's doing this because he cares, he's worried about her, but damnit! She was just starting to find her feet here! Why did this have to happen now?!

Standing up, Oran moves to the window as soon he sees the two starting to have a row. What surprises Oran the most is that he feels the hot pang of jealousy coil around his heart. Not knowing what the feeling feels light, to have a tightness around the very organ that keeps you alive and your breath feeling short. Swallowing, he runs his hands through his hair and turns from the window. He is not jealous, no. Not yet. For you need to love in order to feel jealousy but Oran does care for his wife deeply. He will move suns to protect her from their harmful rays as he would protect his fellow colleagues. Glancing back to the window, he wants to see how Ana handles the situation before he storms in there. Curiosity takes over and he wonders what they're fighting about.

"Ana...Anahsi, calm down!"

Lanor moved toward her then and Ana wasn't prepared for when his hands came to palm her cheeks, his face close to her own. She held Azule tighter as the wolf-cub started to snarl in earnest and she stared at her friend with wide eyes, sufficiently silenced as he started to speak. "Ana, I know you. You aren't happy here. You're caged."

"That's not true." The Princess shook her head, stepping back and away from his hold, her body stiff and coiled with tension. Her heart pounded in her rib-cage, but it wasn't with a thrill or any good emotion. It was with both anger and alarm as Lanor looked at her and a smile formed on his lips. "Yes it is. Ana, come with me. Escape this place. I'll take you far from here, far from all the crushing weight of everything."

Ana shook her head again, but at his words, she seemed to gain some composer again and her voice was firm, unwavering. Her tail had gone still again, twitching by her ankle, but no longer lashing. "I have told you no twice now, Lanor, when you have asked this of me and this time you should not have even thought to ask." She was married. She was the Princess of her people. She was a linchpin in an alliance that had taken ten years of fighting to come to. And...she was happy here. It had taken opposition for her to really realize it, but flaws and all....this place was becoming home.

Lanor didn't see it that way, though, and he frowned, frustrated. "Why not?"

"I don't love you." Ana's voice was gentle, trying not hurt him while at the same time telling the truth. The white Saliphian sneered, though, past the point of caring if he hurt her now in his anger and rejection. His words were scathing. "You don't love him either! At least I'm your friend!" He stepped forward, crowding her now and Ana stood her ground as his voice lowered into a hiss. "Oh, but no. The great Matawing won't lower herself to marry a simple soldier, but she'll whore up to the humans if her daddy says she has to."

The slap rang even in the open air and Lanor stepped back, startled as Ana looked at him with wide, seething eyes. Her fangs bared and she spoke through them, everything in her wanting to simply attack the male again. If she hadn't had a puppy in her free arm, she might have. "You need to go. Thank you for doing as Jamekon wanted. I will have your ship repaired and then I want you gone."

She turned then and started to walk away but was stopped as Lanor grabbed her arm, spinning her about. "Ana!"

The Princess glared at him, warning glittering in her eyes. "Let go."

Wrapping his arms around himself, Oran can't help but narrow his gaze and frown at the comotion going on outside. Ana is strong and she will be able to handle the Saliphian. At least that's what Oran thought then he sees those white scaly hands come up to rest on her cheeks. His Ana, still remains motionless, the pup in her hands. Assuming she won't fight with Azule cradled where he is, Oran immediately knows this conversation is tripping upon itself and flying downhill. ​You have to protect her. She is your responsibility now. Go! Closing his eyes, he thumps a fist to the glass, knowing they cannot see nor hear. Oh how he wants to hear what they're saying. Perhaps he will even ask Ana about it later tonight where Lanor has no chance of being present. Perhaps before bed? Blinking, he figures sixty seconds have passed and marches towards the door.

A hand comes up and motions the two guards to follow him, "Fall in." He orders without even looking to see if they comply, knowing they have no other choice but to listen. Having to walk down the steps in a huff, Oran nearly trips over the momentum he built up after hitting the last step. "Keep your guns down but be ready to engage on my command." His words are enough to shatter even the strongest of buildings, the echo in the hallway only amplifying his sound. The blue lights along the staircase lead him to the archway. Coming from it, Oran is quick to speak.

Seeing that white hand on his wife's arm, her trying to fend him off with puppy in hold, Oran can't help but feel the heat rise in his body. Waiting a moment before walking out into the sunshine, Oran listens to what they're saying, his body easily hidden by the shimmering blue shield of energy shifting around the threshold. Stopping inches before this shield. He knows it will let him easily out but for them to come in, they have to be palm printed on the silver screen to the right. For newcomers, there is even a welcoming speech and instructions on how to sign in. They would have to wait for an engineer to come down with a law enforcement officer to take their print and verify who they are.

"You know, Lanos, it's considered rude in..." he thinks about it for only a milisecond, "Most cultures," throwing his arms to his sides as he continues to walk closer to the two, "only the savage ones excluded, to force such a woman in such a manner." Calmly walking up to the two, Oran places his hand right on Lanos' wrist, allowing it to become as hot as he desires. A simple flame will do or a hot iron might give him some incentive to let Ana go. "Did you hear her or are your ears faulty?" He should have let go by now but if not, Oran keeps his grip firm, even adding a little twist so that his fingers curl off of hers. Turning those flaming embers to Ana, he bows his head, wanting to make sure she is alright. "I would recommend that you leave but considering the state of your ship - that's impossible unless I have you escorted to one of the spacestations above this planet."

Lanor yelps when Oran's hand comes in contact with his skin, hotter than any human's skin should, and the Saliphian jerks his hand away from Ana after the small incentive from Oran. He glares at the human, but Ana, as soon as she is released, comes immediately to Oran's side and there she stays. She had been enormously relieved to see her husband emerge into the sun and an instant sense of safety had swept over her when his eyes connected with her own, questioning.

Now that she is near him, Ana holds Azule in one arm and touches his shoulder, leaning over to whisper close to his ear. "I have told him he can stay, in the town, until his ship is repaired." She glanced at Lanor and then back at Oran, her gold-hazel eyes hard and unforgiving toward the white Saliphian for his words. She catches her husband's eyes and speaks loud enough for everyone to hear, wanting to make absolutely sure her words at not misunderstood. "I don't want him allowed admittance into the palace and I want him escorted off-planet as soon as his ship is done."

She says nothing more, tightening her fingers on Oran's shoulder in a sign of trust, knowing he will deal with this. The Princess turns around then and leaves, never looking back. She doesn't want to. She feels she might crumble emotionally if she does. No, she'll leave with her head high and in control.

Lanor looked after her with a mixture of anger and regret. He never had known how to handle Ana and now....he knows he's lost her for good. His eyes turn to glare at Oran. He's lost her to this human.

Nodding to what Ana whispers in his ear, Oran quickly thinks of a decree he could whip up tonight. "Very well, Anahsi. Since you have already promised one of your people shelter -on- this plant, I shall not toil. But let me make a wise decree. If you grab my wife again in such a manner and break the laws that are bound to you by my wife's words, I will have you deported faster than a lightening coil." Nodding, he feels satisfied with his message, Oran quickly lifts two fingers for the guards to follow his orders. "If you would be so kind, men, would you take Lanor and make sure he leaves properly?" Those amber hues turn back to the white Saliphain. "Mark my words. You won't be welcome here again if you keep up your attitude." He feels as though he is scolding a child, not having time for this, Oran simply turns and starts to walk.

Even being generous, Oran leads Lanor to the outskirts of the market. "Here you will be able to find a hotel to stay in. Is there any last remark you wish to throw my way? Any last words frilling from your mouth that you want to say out in the open. Now is your chance to say those and not be reprimanded for your actions. I shall take the blows as they come, Lanor. But believe me, if you betray me or my wife, I will rip you apart and burn you alive." Actually starting to smile, Oran starts to revel in the fact that he could fight this white scaly beast. Knowing it would be easy, he still doesn't want to hurt Ana so he is letting the man fend for himself this one last time. Still being very curious to what they talked about, Oran hopes to achieve some sort of insult regrading him as a human and something about either brainwashing Ana or manipulating her into doing what he wants. This time and this time only, Oran will meet this Saliphain with kind words. Next time, it'll be flaming fists.

Lanor shrugs off the guards when they release his shoulders and he glares venom at Oran, knowing he can't do a damn thing, but seething inside. He meets Oran's eyes, wary of the heat in this amber hues, but not really the wisest of Saliphians. He takes the chance to speak, but of everything he could have spewed at the human, his words seem to be actually chosen very carefully. Nonetheless, they are biting.

"You don't deserve her. You know nothing about her and she deserves better. She deserves to be with her own kind, with someone who loves her."

Lanor sneers, looking Oran up and down before shaking his head. "And someone like you isn't capable of it. Don't be surprised when she comes to her senses and runs, human."

--

Ana finally slowed, stopping in her determined, mindless walking when she came to a familiar door. Her bedroom. Oran's bedroom. Blinking, she opens the door and steps inside, closing it just as quietly and carefully as she sets Azule down. The puppy is instantly curious and runs straight for one of Oran's shoes and the Princess watches him for a moment, uncomprehending before she comes to herself and takes the shoe away from the dire wolf, chuckling.

She sinks to the floor, feeling a sense of detachment as she continues to watch the black pup. She herds him with her tail and keeps him out of trouble, but her thoughts are a million miles away and when Azule finally tires himself out and curls up at her side, nestled in the curve her tail has made around him, she strokes his fur absentmindedly.

Had Lanor been right? Ana wants to deny it, but now the thoughts plague her. Did she feel caged here? Maybe a little, but...not so much that it suffocates her. No more than her title and status cage her. So what was it about what the Saliphian had said that bothers her so much? The parts about Oran had made her the most angry, but....she's not sure as to why. Did she doubt their own friendship? Is he really her friend or just....her partner...?

What did she really know about him...and vice-versa?

"You are absolutely right, Lanor. She doesn't deserve me. Both her and I have come to the conclusion that this marriage is for our families to take a chance and become allies. It's a strategic move and has been ever since Ana was born." Blinking, that's the first time he has used her name in that fashion, not even knowing if he is -allowed- to, thinking it's way too personal. Taking not another moment to think on it, he calmly shrugs his shoulders. "Both you and I would love it to see her truly happy and with one of her own kind. But that is not how fate has chosen us to be. If you had come two and a half months earlier, you could have easily ripped out my throat with her right at your side. But now, we have to work with one another. Perhaps one day we will be lovers and have the true nature of a husband and a wife but as of right now, we at least respect one another and are working -past- our differences for the better of our nations."

Oran tries his best throughout his speech not to give into the flames crackling inside of his body. How he wants to take Lanor's head in his hands and crack his skull open against his plated knee. Watching the yoke of his mind drip down to the floor, just as an egg. Blinking, he only smiles to Lanor, not letting the man phase him this time for he will be the stronger of the two. "Perhaps she will come to her senses. When she does, I am sure she will call you to come and rescue her. The two of you living happily ever after." Turning, he simply walks away.

As soon as his back is turned, Oran starts to really think upon all the progress that Ana and him have achieved. That first night, there was so much tension between them and now he can happily hold her shoulder in his hand or wrap his fingers around her waist. But, he knows, it's all a show. They have talked about it over and over again, not wishing to touch hands together but the shoulder, arm, wrist and back are all plausible. If they are really going to finish their progress, is it so hard to sit down and see what she really wants. Was he being played this whole time? Ana just waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike him in the back and leave him bleeding on the ground? He doesn't want to believe it. Is this just a dream and will she just wake up and leave?

Upon reaching his door in what seems to be several hours later, he opens it. "Anahsi?" He calls after making sure her lights are still on, signaling that she is awake.

Ana starts, startled by his entrance, but when he comes in, she smiles faintly and putting her finger on her lip, signals the need to be quiet. She's still sitting on the floor, her back against the wood paneling separating their rooms. She's on Oran's side and looking around and realizing it, she winces and gives him an apologetic look, glancing down at Azule who is asleep on her lap now, snoring softly after his long trip.

"He liked your shoes." she tries to explain simply, giving reason to why she is on the this side of the room instead of her own. In truth, she is actually unsure why she'd stayed here and not moved. Perhaps it is the soothing colors of red and gray that had drawn her over here when her mind was in such turmoil. Maybe....maybe it was the familiarity and comfort of her husband's scent in this part of the room and his colors and his things that had called to her. Ana isn't really sure at this point and so she says nothing about it, looking up at Oran again and staring at him for a long moment before she speaks, voice a whisper for the puppy's sake as well as her own, for she's unsure.

"Oran...we're...are we friends?" Does he think they are? Feel they are or is it all in her imagination? Has he been acting this entire time for his family, his people? Did he still only tolerate her, putting on a show for others to see or....are they truly working toward understanding? Trust? She had felt they were, but now....there is doubt.

Looking into her side of the room, he expects to see her in bed but quickly pokes his head around to his side and notices that she is on the floor. Rolling his eyes, not in a taunting or cruel manner but one of lightheartedness, he lets out a throaty chuckle. Not even bothering to take off his boots, Oran quietly walks, step by step, to where Ana is and takes a seat diagonally across from her. Sitting with his legs crossed over one another, Oran chuckles once more, having to remember to keep his voice down because of the puppy. "To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to warm up to me in the way he did." He quietly whispers, reaching a hand out over her tail to assist her in gently stroking the new fur.

Indeed he does think that it's strange she would come to his side and stay. Instead of inquiring about such a thought process, he takes it as an omen for her trust in him. At least, that's what he thought at first, the mental thought coming and passing quickly from his mind. Then he starts to think of what device she could have placed in here. Does she intend to incapacitate him somehow and then flee with Lanor? Is this all part of some elaborate plan they've been setting up for the past few years? Blinking, he notices that his face feels tight. Loosening up, he takes in a deep breath but his muscles don't budge once he hears her talk to him about friendship.

"I have questioned what we are, who we are, and how we flow. You and I are different, yes, but I see more similarities the more you have allowed yourself to open up to me and me, in return, feeling obligated to open up to you. In all truth, I have felt for the longest time that we weren't friends. We were jus colleagues working on projects together. You are bound to remember my open resentment when we first were married. On this day, I have asked myself more questions about us than have ever crossed my mind. Before I could have answered with a huff of fire and stormed out of the room, thinking friendship is an utterly ridiculous option. And with ... one of your kind." Turning his head and gaze away from her, he can't bare to look into her eyes.

He is quick to continue, "But now. Today I know what -I- am to you for I am the master of my own fate - the elements willing. I am not talking about immortality or any of that crap. I am talking about what I make myself to other people for I have the choice of being a friend or a foe. I let your friend spite me tonight, his blows still hurting my internal being. But I have had deep thoughts about who we are, together." He runs his hand over hers in a gentle and warm gesture. "Your friend said to me that you'll wake up from this charm soon enough and flee back home. If it were yesterday, not just a measurement of time but one of quality, I would have agreed with him. For yesterday is the road I have paved in my life already. Tomorrow being the future. Today is the present." Taking her hand from her lap, he presses it to his chest so that she will feel his heartbeat and know he is not telling a lie.

"Today, this day, has shown me that you are dear to me. Us being friends comes with trust and loyalty to one another. Are you happy here? Because... if you're not then leave." His hand tightens on her hand, not enough to hurt her but enough to be noticeable. "I will not be played a fool." Only then does he realize what his words sound like and he brings her hand up to his face, kissing her palm. "I shall be your friend if you wish to be mine."

Ana is not sure she's even breathing anymore as she listens to him as he bares part of his heart to her without her having to pry it from him. She watches him, taking in every facial expression, every scent, every gesture and yet, she is still not prepared for when he touches her, when his fingers against her skin are warm and gentle and caring. She's not prepared to feel his heartbeat against her fingertips. She feels the calm and steady beat and her eyes lock on his own, wondering if he knows the significance of this gesture to her people. Probably not, but it effects her all the same and Ana feels a shiver run all the way from the tip of her tail up to the back of her head where it sits with a pleasant buzz before migrating down to her limbs.

She feels the strangest jolt when he kisses her palm and she knows her face colors as her heart leaps within her chest. Ana knows - she does - that he meant nothing by it but to reassure her as his former words could have been taken the wrong way, but though her mind knows that...she's starting to wonder if her body, nay, her heart knows the same. Her relationship with Oran is so complicated in so many ways. They are married but not in love. Partners in business, but they don't know if they're friends. They respect each other as warriors, but really know nothing of each other as people. They treat each other as husband and wife in public as agreed upon and yet when they come to the others defense, it's genuine and now....they were alone. And he's laughed with her, talked with her, taken her hand as a husband might - or is it as a friend might? - and yet....there is still much to discover about one another.

And Ana wants to know more about him.

She finally smiles, knowing the silence has been heavy and her gold-hazel eyes distant. They are connected with his own again now and she curls her fingers around his own, voice soft even as her demeanor is. "I don't care what Lanor told you. I'm not leaving and I am not unhappy. You would have known if I was." The teasing in her voice is in obvious reference to her blunt nature for she has made it known many times when she doesn't approve of something since they've been together.

Ana realizes her thumb is rubbing gently over the top of his hand, but she doesn't stop it as she smiles again, her eyes sincere. "I wish to be your friend, Oran. I think I have for a few days now."

Oran is not as connected as strongly as Ana is to this mutual experience. It's true that he does wish for her to feel his words but he does not see nor feel any jolts or sparks fly between them. For him, he is trying to be reassuring and comforting even though his gestures could very well be taken as affection. Oh but this man has locked up his heart and thrown the key in the deepest of oceans the day Divi departed. He knew his duty was to marry Ana and so he has, complying to his father's games. His father's plots for their world and universe. Oran, no matter how righteous he may feel right now, does, however, want to be her friend. It would reassure her wishing to stay even though she already states that she is happy. Yet, he tells himself over and over again he cannot love one of her kind. Now he finds himself reveling in her touch, wanting just to place her hand on his face and gently let her feel his facial hair. Getting used to the shape and contours of his face in her palm. Reality takes over though and Oran does no such thing.

Those eyes do not lie.
He concludes after they gaze for long moments into the various shades of amber and gold. It's such a contrast to the banner behind her - the one that was waving proudly in the sky the day he received his scarring. His mark. His downfall. Knowing that her touch could very well dull his pain, he resists, thinking that this inner turmoil of denying his budding feelings for her. He doesn't believe his heart as it pounds away happily in his chest. The crashing feeling of her heat against his, their fingers interlocked, opens up something though inside of him. Trust perhaps. He will trust her words and hopefully one day they can be friends. "I am glad." He tells her in a dull tone, quickly perking up once more, "For a few days? Anahsi. Do you want to -talk- about it?" Swallowing, he feels his innerds coil into his stomach, making a neat knot. Never before has he been so ... curious to what her answer might be.

Ana chuckles, unsure if the light feeling in her chest is natural or not, but not really caring at the moment. It's nice and she won't complain about it. The Princess does gently take her hand from his though as she shifts her weight, certain parts of her anatomy starting to go numb, and moves Azule at the same time. The puppy seems to grumble and huff in his sleep at the interruption to his dreams and Ana giggles softly, petting him once more so that he curls further into her body, drifting off deeply once again.

That done, she looks back up at Oran and bites the side of her lip, suddenly a bit nervous. To say they want to be friends is one thing. To actually take the steps of becoming friends...well, it's going to be a bit harder....maybe even painful...certainly awkward sometimes and embarrassing. But she supposes since she's the one who had brought up the subject, she can be the one to speak first. It's only fair.

"Well....there isn't too much to say. I just..we've been getting along so well that...I figured we were making progress, but I'd started to truly wonder how much we actually knew about the other person and...that led to thoughts of whether we were actually friends and if we weren't if we could become friends...." Realizing she's babbling a little, the Princess lets her mouth close with an almost audible snap and looks down at Azule, her red hair falling forward to hide her face as she clears her throat.

"You can call me Ana." It's her first true olive-branch offering. A sign that she means what she says. She truly does want to get to know him, but she understands that means that she needs to open up, too.

Oran is about to speak when she unlinks her hand from his, certainly feeling a small bit of relief. For now, his heart has to do less thumping and he can finally see through the foggy 'what if' questions swinging in and out of his tired mind. Never before has he thought do deeply about a subject that wasn't war related. When it comes to family matters, he is certainly the quiet one, only voicing his opinion if it really does matter. The Kel'korians know and respect those who think before they speak, showing concern with a subject before jumping to conclusions. Oran may forget this fact most of the time, letting his anger get the best of him, but he does try his hardest. Suddenly, his mind goes blank and luckily Azule is there to snatch his attention away form her eyes.

"You must be happy to have another wolf. How fast will he grow up?" Figuring it's the best to start with casual conversation, he is not all expecting her to blabber on and on. Forcing his breath in his throat, he smiles at Ana as she speaks. Letting her run out of steam, Oran takes his chances while he can. "You don't have to stop talking - it's good to get all those thoughts out of your head. Sometimes it's best just to run with your thoughts instead of sitting down and desiccating it piece by piece." Rearranging his feet, he draws one leg up to rest his arm on his knee. "I, personally, just thought whatever would happen... would happen with time. We have been making such process lately - yes."

Hearing her offer the olive-branch, he finds his cheeks growing how again and his mouth as wide as the river flowing near the southern boarder to the town. "Well, Ana, I hope this friendship of ours will last through whatever hurtles this universe may throw at us." Giving another nod, he still feels uneasy, trying to think of something else to say but his mind draws a blank every time a thought threatens to pop its way back into his head. "Um... well, what would you like to know about me? You can't really shorten Oran down even more. Unless you want some strange nickname like, ora, ran, an, or... gah, they're all horrible! I don't recommend it. Trust me, people have tried." He is light once again in his speech, showing no outward signs of anger, truly wanting to get to know her as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.