A Reluctant Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ana doesn't understand the instant relief she feels seeing Oran coming toward her, his face like thunder and his amber eyes easily hot enough to challenge dragon-fire. She knows she should be trying to signal him to leave or...or something, but all she can do is smile shakely as she hears his voice, deep and commanding and her body makes to move for him on instinct alone, sensing safety. She is immediately brought back to reality as Ceverno's hand clamps down on her arm, over the leaves and bite wound and she can't hold back a whimper, stopping immediately, face whiter than a ghost.

And Ceverno laughs. He laughs as he watches Oran approach, his smile dark and his eyes mocking. He is not afraid, not in the least and that scares Ana more than anything. He's never afraid. "Ah, Oran Re'kor. Ana's husband, I presume?" His tone is as if he speaks to a friend and Ana tries to jerk away from him again, her mind knowing better, but her body trained to resist and her spirit...her spirit is screaming at her to stop this. To...to protect Oran...and she doesn't understand why, but it doesn't matter.

"Ceverno, leave him. He doesn't mean anything to you." she whispers, pleading and for once in her life, not ashamed of it. What it gets her is more pain as the male Saliphian's tail comes up and slams her against the wall and the hand around her wound tightens, sending the blood rushing in her ears with the pain. Ceverno ignores her beyond that and again addresses Oran, knowing the man won't approach if he thinks that Ceverno will kill Ana if he does.

"See? She's quite easy to tame. Tell me, Prince, do you like games?"

Hearing her screams as Ceverno only laughs, those eyes striking into Oran's very being. Mockery. That fool will regret the day he took Oran for a fool, mocking his strength. Mocking what has truly made him who he is today. Stopping a good few feet in front of them, Oran's hands flicker at his sides, having to stop himself from releasing his wrath upon the flamesword at his side. "I am her husband, yes. Who are you, might I ask? It's rude not to know the man's name who you're about to kill. Wouldn't you agree?" The playful grin comes across his lips once more, "I think so." She is his now and Oran would gladly see this Saliphian rip her apart but in the end, Oran will still have to kill Ceverno. What's the point in letting him kill Ana? It will only cause unwanted fire, unwanted hate towards the two. Oran would be able to live with it but his mind flickers back to the joyous faces he had seen yesterday evening. These two races -could- get along. Why bother mixing the pot down once everything has started to settle?

"If you're a real gentleman, you would know that hurting a lady is forbidden. Outlawed. Not to mention... Stupid. You are most unwise to be coming here. And now to -hurt- my wife? Do you have any emotions at all?" His voice still rings through the halls, hoping that his uneasy tone will alert guards to come and look for them. "How DARE you come here. Release her!!" Not being able to help it, some of the skin on his arm starts to crack, small bits of flame trickling across the surface of his body. It seems he really -does- care for Ana, being protective of her. But in all seriousness, he is doing it for his family, not for her. If she dies, they will once again go to war and Oran knows that the less enemies they have, the more likely it is for him to come home to his family.

"Games? GAMES?" He shouts, unbelievable! How could this man ... oh yeah, he is obviously cruel. The unforgiving look in his dark eyes and the way he just throws around Ana, not even caring for her in the slightest. The whole situation only worsens once Oran hears her whimper but cannot step forward. He leans himself into a forward leaning stance and prepares himself for some sort of opening. The splitting on his arms worsen, adding fuel to the fire as the smokey smell starts to dissipate through the air. "You don't want her! Really? She is weak and injured." He tries and make the man change his mind, not knowing -why- he holds Ana so close but he quickly flickers over the possibilities. "I'm waiting for you to grow a pair and act like a man. Right now you're throwing a tantrum. Like a child would, holding an innocent girl hostage? What do you want with her anyway?"

"Quite a talker this one. Are you sure he's worth protecting, Ana? His smells says he doesn't really care all that much, but then, you know that, don't you?"

Ceverno doesn't seemed phased at all by the flames appearing on Oran's arms or his words, but Ana watches the fire with a wide-eyed fascination and wonder despite her circumstance. Her body again tries to go to her husband, to the flames now and again she is pressed back forcefully. The male Saliphian does not look at her, keeping his attention on Oran, but his voice is cold and easily heard. "If you move again, Princess, I'll suck the life out of him."

Ana immediately freezes, no thought in her head to do otherwise as she keeps her eyes pinned on Oran. Ceverno laughs again, softly and the sound sends chills up the spine as he addresses the Kel'korian again. "I have no desire to play by your rules, Prince. You will play by mine." He grinned. "Or you will find out, just as little Ana did, why it is foolish to fight me. As it is, for those insults, I will have to extract a price." He smiles down at the Princess then and Ana knows. She knows what he's going to do before he does, but she can't stop him. She never can.

His black eyes flicker to the prone body of the wolf and Shadow gives a high-pitched yelp before going still. Completely still. Ana stares in horror and the Saliphian laughs....before simply disappearing in a cloud of black mist. His voice echoes in the hall, though, lingering. "Don't worry, Prince. This game can be fun. Ana will teach you the rules. She has been playing for oh so very long." There is a dark chuckle before all is silent.

Ana doesn't even seem to notice as her body sinks to the ground and her hands shake as she takes hold of Shadow's head and cradles it in her lap. He is dead and she doesn't care what anyone thinks of her as she breaks down and silently cries.

"Of course I care about her!" Oran screams, not trying to look like the bad guy here! There is way too much anger inside of him, he is sure, that only a most skilled Saliphian will be able to sense the doubt and true intentions of Oran's mind. The anger overrides every engine in his body, causing the flames to crackle and his skin to break completely open, just like the earth giving way to a quake. The flames only intensify, growing an incredibly hot blue once Oran sees Ceverno's eyes flicker to the wolf. "Stop!" He orders, bringing a hand up. That's it! You're so dead! Growls his internal beast. Upon hearing the painful yelp of the wolf, Oran leaps at Ceverno, meaning to tackle him right to the ground, tail and all. Mid jump, Oran's mouth opens, his scream losing its gusto with the clammer of his body against the floor.

"NO!" He shouts, slamming a fist onto the ground. Sparks erupt from the enclosed fingers, much like hot iron being smashed with a blacksmithing hammer. The black fan surrounding the crack in the stone. "YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!" Oran shouts at the smoke, it clearly vanishing into the air before he can even blink. His white teeth are clenched, the shallow breath spilling from his body. As he brings himself off of the ground, he kneels and looks to Shadow and Ana. His eyes are now a deep orange around the iris. But seeing her pain, feeling his heart go out to Ana as she cries. His wife. It doesn't matter if he doesn't love her, he still has a duty to be there for her and to protect her. Cursing himself for not waiting outside of his brother's room, Oran is slow to make his way over to her and Shadow.

Swallowing down a dry throat, the crackling flames pop and hiss on his skin, the cracks starting to seal themselves up. "An..." Oran starts to say her name but can't even finish it, not even sure what to say. Not caring if she wants it or not, he drags himself right up next to her. Closing his eyes, he wraps his warm arms around her. She may spit, scream, lash out or just push him away but no matter what may occur, Oran will keep a steady lock around her shoulders. If this is going to work, he has to break down the barrier between them. Knowing she will lash out, he is sure to tighten his muscles for any blow that may come. The warmth from his arms, the fire that lies there, won't dare desecrate her for Oran has that control who he comforts and who he burns. "I'm here for you." Is all he can utter, still shocked, angry, and sad for the events that have just unfolded. Later he will get his answers, now is a time for mourning.

She fights him at first. The grief and rage need an outlet and he has presented himself. She struggles in his arms, but she's not coordinated right now. The tears and the shaking of her body, the sobs that pull from her chest are all hindrances and though she thrashes and arches, hits him and screams, Ana doesn't get away and it's not long before she simply collapses into him, burrowing into the same arms she'd been trying to get away from moments before as the tears roll seemingly without end.

The warmth of Oran's arms, the fire lurking under his skin is comforting after a time and if she'd been in her right mind, Ana would have noted that something inside her spirit, inside her very body, struggled to flare to life before giving up for now, simmering just out of reach, waiting to be acknowledged. It was drawn to the flames, but couldn't break past the barriers around it. So it would wait.

Ana didn't take note of it, though, as she finally lifted her head from her husband's chest and looked at Shadow again. Her fingers reached out, stroking his dark gray fur with a fondness, grief and guilt that would be forever mingled in her mind. "I'm sorry....I'm s-so sorry..." she whispers, not sure if she is talking to Oran or Shadow as her eyes flicker up to the man holding her and she puts her head in her hands, claws that had somehow stayed sheathed when she fought his hold now coming out, digging into her scalp, not that she seems to care.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't...I shouldn't have screamed...I shouldn't have called you. I'm so sorry..."

It really doesn't occur to Ana in that moment that she's making little sense.

With an iron jaw, Oran lets her hit him, doing everything in his power to be persistent. Sooner or later she will collapse, losing her already handicapped edge. Finally she gives in and he feels the weight of her head against his chest so he simply wraps his arm around her back, drawing her closer to him. He knows the flames comfort people, they kept Divi and him alive in the swamps. He blames himself for their ultimate connection that just ended in heartbreak for these dancing flames know what the brain ought not think about. They know the fate of Oran and Ana, assisting gently but never boldly interfering. When she pulls away from him, Oran's arm doesn't remove itself from her back. Feeling the fabric, he gently caresses it, knowing her back is beneath. It's the least he can do.

Oran isn't even sure if she is talking to him or Shadow at first but as her sobbing breath spills from her throat, he is suddenly aware. You're damn right you shouldn't have. Screams his conscience but that spark is immediately doused in compassion. "Ssshh." Comes his sweeter breath, trying to soothe her. Those amber eyes are quite somber now, trying to meet her gaze through her watery lens. He collects her wrists easily, stopping more damage she could do to herself. She may lash and try to tug her arms free but Oran's grip will be as his heart is, locked in iron. "Come here." The whisper returns, the real reason for Oran saying nothing is because he doesn't have the slightest idea -what- to say. Not wishing to anger his wife. Oran kneels down even more, pressing his cheek to hers and laying her arms over his shoulders so he may wrap his own around her torso.

Ana isn't sure what he's doing at first and she lets him maneuver her as he will, but as he hugs her close, her heart seems to stop for an entirely different reason now and she stiffens, suddenly coming to terms with where she is and WHO is holding her. Her mind tells her to jerk away, NOW, but her body is happy where it is and while her heart has no idea what to think, her spirit is somehow very....quiet, content? It puzzles her as she can still feel the grief and fear running rampant through her veins. This entire scenario confuses her and Ana pulls back from Oran slowly, in a very calm way so that he will let her go.

She lets go of him and sits back on her legs, kneeling and staring at him for a long moment, blinking the remaining tears away, feeling them roll down her face and then splash against her arms and legs. She's bleeding again, from her arm and stomach and the shadow of a bruise across her temple, cheek and chin - not to mention the finger-marks showing up there - is starting to show, giving testament to the fact that she'd been struck before Oran came. Her gold-hazel eyes are wide and still lurking with fear that she doesn't want to feel, to show, but can't help. She's not herself and she hates it.

"Thank you." It's all she can think to say in regards to his comfort and she swallows thickly, not sure if she should move, not knowing how to start explaining.....not WANTING to, but knowing she HAS to. Ceverno hasn't given her a choice. He never does. The thought of him makes her shiver and her eyes swim with both anger and terror all in the same moment before she turns her face away from Oran and looks at Shadow once more.

He hadn't deserved that. He hadn't deserved to die, but then again...none of them ever did.

Oran is sure to hold her tight but not suffocate the poor girl. When he knows she has at least calmed down a little and starts to pull back, he feels nothing. No connects nor sparks of a content spirit in his bosom. Right now, all he cares about is finding this killer and taking him out. Assurance is what she would see in his eyes, tumbling within a sandstorm of feelings. Bubbling hate, calm assurance as well as -all- the questions. Perhaps she will even see a flash of concern because of her injuries. When she thanks him, he says nothing in return. A simple bow of his head is enough in his books. Perhaps he doesn't know how to cope with such emotions, too many at one time and his head starts to spin. No matter, he loosens his arms around her but doesn't let go. Oddly enough, he is not opposed to hugging her as he thought he might be. Scales and a tail - perhaps they really aren't that bad... no. How can he love someone with a -tail-?

Before she can even take another breath, Oran is picking her off of the ground and cradling her against his chest. His strong arms share the weight, one around her back and the other clasped underneath her legs. Knowing now is not the time to ask, Oran lets his words slowly come out anyway. Perhaps now is the most paramount of times to ask her? "Where would you like me to take Shadow?" Will she want to bury him? Burn him in a ceremonial sense? Chop off his head and hang it on her wall? Oran has no clue what the precautions for death is with her people. For him - it always ends in burial. If she doesn't squirm or order him to go back, Oran will take her to Fredrakio once more. Letting out a long breath, he knows that they'll be scolded. There is nothing worse than looking into those blue eyes and hearing him chide you - hearing his soft voice warn you never to be so stupid again.

Ana is so startled by his actions at first that she doesn't respond. Her arm has instinctively gone around his neck as her body curls into his chest, not wanting to fall and she cradles her injured arm on her stomach, not wanting to move it. Her tail....well, it's wrapped around his waist and she turns a slight shade of red as she quickly unwraps it again and lets the end wrap around her own ankle instead so it won't drag on the floor. The Princess watches him for a moment, trying to puzzle out WHY he's doing this, but when she meets his gaze, all she can see is a calm assurance, like the kind her brother might give her....no...it's more impersonal than that. Like the kind one of her WingWarrior's might give her. It's a dutiful reassurance, a dutiful concern....but she's strangely grateful for it anyway and Ana doesn't protest him carrying her.

She is honestly unsure if she could make herself walk right now. Oh, if she had to, yes, but...she doesn't have to and it's...nice.

His words finally register in her mind as he starts taking her back down the hallways she's just left and Ana is relieved that while it's a horrible question to have to answer, it's not the questions she's been dreading since Ceverno left. She knows she will have to answer those, and soon, but her body throbs in pain and her mind throbs in both pain and grief and she just wants to sleep. Even as she doesn't because for her, sleep is rarely a true relief. She's followed there, too, and she knows she will definitely be plagued tonight.

"My people cremate. We don't believe the spirit should ever be trapped. We release the ashes on the wind." she replies quietly. Shadow deserves that, to be free on the wind, to fly because he can no longer run and it's her fault. Ana wants to shake those thoughts away, bu they are cemented into her like mountain rocks and so instead she simply focuses on something else, namely Rakio as Oran goes back through the door of his room.

When her gold-hazel eyes meet the child's blue ones and Ana can only muster a faint smile for his sake, unsure what to say and unsure how he's going to react.

One would expect this sort of action, carrying a wife from a scene of distress, as a sign of true love. Oran having his arms around her but unlike those men who would rest their cheeks upon her head, Oran's stays upright and his eyes looking forward. His whole body almost jumps as he feels the hard sensation of her tail wrap around his waist. How he wants to snap out and scream at her, dropping her in disgust. No matter those sparking howls, he calms even before she releases him. Only knowing her for a matter of hours, Oran thinks its best not to ask too much yet. Her distress can be felt through his core, easily making him feel sorry for her. They may not know one another at all but he does know that Shadow shocked her by licking his hand. Not understanding it either, he figures the wolf must have known something Oran doesn't.

By the time they reach the door, Oran's flames have retreated back into his body, rattling his core. An odd sort of sound is heard from the other side, Rakio spilling something by the sound, not expecting to be interrupted. "I said I'll join you later!" Comes his small voice from the other side but Oran is in no mood to stand by the door and wait.

"Open up this damn door, Rakio!" Comes the thunder from his throat, "Now! Anahasi is injured." The scraping of the chair or stool against the floor. "And just so you know." Those eyes move back to Ana in his arms, "You -will- be sleeping in my room again tonight. Either that or I will be sleeping in yours. You won't be far out of my sight after the ... events that just occurred." As soon as the door opens and the candlelight spills into the damp hallway. "Understood?" Oran asks before Rakio moves out of the way, wide eyed.

"Wh- Ana!" Salty tears start to form in his eyes, thinking that he should have forced her to stay here. Perhaps if he had not let her out into the sunlight then she would have not gotten hurt. "Ana, I thought I told you to say -out- of trouble!" His voice sounds a lot like Oran's voice, rough and booming but soon his eyes are soothing and he takes a deep breath, apologizing to her under his breath. "I'm so sorry Ana! You got hurt and it's all my fault." Peeking around their legs, Oran quickly brings her to the bed and lies her there, pulling a pillow underneath her head. Not smiling nor frowning, Oran just -stares- at her, listening to his brothers words before turning to Rakio.

"Stop your damn wining. Just heal her. I'll be by the door but I am not leaving her until she has healed." Removing his arms from her back and from behind her knees, he stomps off, folding his arms over one another. Looking out the door, he leans against the frame. Rakio takes the time to go back to his little set, seeing where exactly his healing potions are. He is nervous for Ana is not looking well at all this time, something about her very soul torn up. Glancing back to Oran in the doorway, he innocently asks, "Where is your wolf?" Turning back, he clanks some vials together and this time -will- tranquilize her just to have her relax. He comes over with the thin glass syringe, looking at it and then to her, waiting for her signal. "I want to help you, Ana." He takes her arm into his hand, knowing that all he has to do is shoot the liquid on her skin and let it soak through. Its a slow but effective process. Oran doesn't even turn around to look.

There are too many things happening at once. Oran's voice is loud in her ears - and she already has heightened hearing - and she winces at it but it doesn't let him see. She really doesn't want to be dropped by him and he seems in the kind of mood to do that. She doesn't fight him on his demand that she sleep where he is...yet. She doesn't agree either, though, merely letting him think what he wants as he lays her down and Rakio hovers near both of them. His voice doesn't grate on her ears nearly as much, even when booming and when Oran stares at her, she keeps her eyes away from him, looking toward his brother instead.

She doesn't understand what he wants and right now, she's too tired and broken and grieved to care. She's relieved when he moves away, his presence somehow overpowering all the sudden and not in a comforting way anymore.

Ana watches Rakio move around, her mind slipping into a numbness that is familiar to her. It's not shock, not really, but a different kind of retreat. She does it often after Ceverno's visits whether's he's killed someone in her name or not. His very presence, his touch chills her, chips away at her and even now her skin is cold, something that is not good in her species. Still, she's keeping it together well, merely staying quiet..until Rakio asks his question. She feels the slow tears only when one slides into her ear and then she bites her lip, hard, almost drawing blood as she wills herself not to cry again.

The Princess takes a deep, unsteady breath and shakes her head, looking at the ceiling. "Just do what you need to, Rakio." she whispers softly and she doesn't look over again, gold-hazel eyes dull. They'll be that way for a few days yet.

Oran sulks as he leans up against the door frame, his core seeming to suck his shoulders in, causing him to slouch. Seeing all the blood, tears, and obvious pain, he cannot help but think of his half-sister Oran's twin only in spirit for the two of them always had a special bond. She, like Shadow, even though he was just a wolf but had potential of being a resilient companion, passed into the next world before his eyes. Oran, surprisingly being the second most accepting brother, Rakio being the first, cared for the 'diluted' blood child. For she was born from another woman's womb, left on Yuvo's doorstep to die a peace-less death.

Yuvo, being accepting, knowing right away once her multicolored eyes shown to his that she was indeed his and no one else's. Yuvo and her share the same unique flaw, one eye amber and the other blue. She had protected Oran in his young age but when it came time for him to return the favor, he was too late. He had to witness it all, Oran now closing his eyes at the memory. No. He would not fail again. That he swore over her body - now taking that promise with him to shield Ana with.

Rakio sprays the cold liquid on her arm and it solidifies, binding with her cells, swiftly putting her to sleep. How many days she was out, she would not know when she awakens. Rakio, being foolish, gave her way too much sedative and therefore caused a near coma-like state. Oran, upon hearing this, nearly punted his brother across the courtyard. But! Perhaps her being able to heal without any disturbances would be a good thing? For Rakio stays with her all the time, even going so far as to feed her a special meal in liquid state. Oran, kept to his promise and even though she would not be able to know of his loyalty to her bedside, his family praised him for it. He normally spent his nights in a chair, leaning over to rest his head against the sheets, his hands folding over themselves and acting like a pillow.

Ana wasn't sure if she was awake or not. She felt like she could sense the world around her, but everything was dark, so very dark....and yet, it wasn't. There was a gentle glow somewhere to the side of her and it was growing brighter....like the sun? Why couldn't she see it then? Her body felt so heavy, each limb slowly coming back to life as she focuses on it, wills it to move. She can feel each one twitching, rising slightly before lowering again and her tail goes so far as to lash strongly, hitting something at her side. This startles Ana's eyes open - oh, THAT'S why it was so dark! - and she looks over at Oran. Her body flinches and scoots back, surprised by his nearness and she's completely unaware of where she is. It's a natural reaction, she thinks as her heart slows again.

She doesn't check if she's woken him or hurt him - probably not, she hadn't hit that hard and it was slow - as her gold-hazel eyes dart around, figuring out just which room she is in. It looks familiar and suddenly it comes to her. Rakio's laboratory or healing-room or whatever it is called. She remembers being here, injured....laying down....and then nothing. The Princess blinks and brings the heel of her hand to her forehead, groaning as she blinks again and feels the world shift and spin before coming into sharp focus again.

Her memory does the same and Ana lowers her hand, a frown coming to her eyes as she finally focuses on Oran. Realizing she'd smacked his side with her tail, she speaks quietly, voice steady but raspy with disuse. "Sorry." Yes, she remembers that word. Sorry. She's said that a lot in the last day, hasn't she? Sorry for everything. Being here, obviously wrecking Oran's life and sense of balance, sorry for Shadow and sorry that she's brought such a crippling sickness in the form of Ceverno into this unwanted marriage. Yes, she's sorry, sincerely and bitterly for lots of things. And wait...how long has it been since she went to sleep? Her throat is much too dry and her body much too...lethargic for it to have been only a couple hours.

Without further thought, she tries to sit up and then gives a squeak - that she will NEVER admit to - as she falls back again. Okay, maybe not. Ana's frown won't leave as she looks around again, not really understanding why she's here. "How long was I out?" She has a sneaking suspicion it's been a while...

For the next few days, Oran would train in the confinements of that small room. Not really understanding why Rakio likes it down here with no light nor any fresh air, Oran soon grows sick of it. Even though he promised that he would only leave for very short amounts of time, Oran takes no more then five minutes to quickly get up to the surface. Once there, he doesn't let himself doze off and slack off for he knows that Ana will need his protection. It's been three long days and she still hasn't woken up. Starting to actually get worried, Oran starts to think Rakio -killed- her. As the day goes on and on, starts to get angry, lashing out uncontrollably at his younger brother. Rakio, knowing deep down that his brother didn't mean it, still is upset by his rash action. Flinching, Rakio just keeps quiet, letting his brother's words hit him but not sink in.

Oran soon works himself up into a rage and soon passes out by Ana's body, his usual position coming to cradle his head. "Mm." Comes his voice, not even half conscious as her tail smacks into his body. Grumbling, he just rubs the side of his head before turning away from Ana, still fast asleep. Mumbling something that is incoherent, he shuffles slightly before staying still. "We'll get it tomorrow." Oran mumbles, before falling silent. Rakio is thankfully there for Ana when she wakes up for her. Closing a book, those blue eyes look directly to her, wondering how she is doing.

"You have been asleep for three whole days..." rubbing his neck, he grins a little, showing off his own white teeth. "I, um, don't be mad. But... I sort of gave you too much. And you just slept and slept. Oran has been here for you though!" He perks up just a little, "He has been feeding you and everything. So attentive... except for the fact that he ... um." Swallowing he sucks in a breath, "Master Oran has been angry. Very angry lately. I think it's just the fact that you have been so unwell. And.. I'm so, so, sorry about Shadow." He comes right up to her, putting his hand on her healed shoulder. The wounds on her chest and arm should be at least moveable without so much pain. "Did you hear?" He asks without thinking but then chuckles at himself, "But... yeah, wait. Um, no I guess you didn't hear. There is going to be a festival!" He seems chipper enough. "That is, if you're well enough to go."

Ana glances at the sleeping Oran, but she is glad that it is Rakio that speaks with her and she listens to him attentively, her eyes growing wider at his words. Three days?! She doesn't feel angry, just startled and after a moment, she accepts that, knowing she can't change it and more than grateful that Rakio hadn't poisoned her with too much medication or something worse. Sleep...sleep she could deal with, especially when she hadn't even dreamed. She smiles, starting to reassure him and then stops, her brows drawing together again as she looks back at Oran.

Feeding her? Does Rakio mean he's been here the WHOLE time? And angry....because of HER state? No, no, the child must have something mixed up. Just yesterday....or three days ago it would seem, he was saying they should fall in love. No, he must be reading into his brother's emotions, not understanding why Oran was angry and giving reason to it. Ana is convinced of this - for she can't see Oran caring at all even if he had comforted her. He'd done that out of duty, nothing more and she knows it, accepts it.

"It's all right. Shadow...Shadow was doing as he was trained. He died honorably." There is a lump in her throat when she thinks of the wolf, but it's not as bad as it was three days ago even if she has been asleep for that long and unable to process - or had she done that in her sleep? - and the Princess is glad there is no stab of raw pain when she says the canine's name. She blinks at Rakio as he mentions a festival and tries again to sit up, this time succeeding. She runs a hand through her hair, grimacing at the blood and dirt and oil that is in it. She needs a shower.

"A festival? For what?"

Rakio nods at her reaction of Shadow, his own eyes sad. Even though he never knew the beast, he hates to see animals, friend or foe, he struck down. "The people here have preserved his body for you to make the final judgement on what to do. Oran's orders. He wanted you to be sure of cremation before settling for the facts. Perhaps he even wanted you to be there to show your love for your wolf." Not being able to help himself, the young boy hugs Ana. All that presence of being like his brother crashes as he whimpers a bit. "I hate death and I hate killing." Comes his breath.

Noticing her nose twitch at her smell, the stench pretty bad if he doesn't think so himself. Still, he tries not to let his nose crumple up and away from her. "I can bring you to the bathhouse but I'm sure Oran won't want you being there alone. Um... " his face reddens to the color of a ripe apple and he has to unlatch himself from her and look away. "I can send in my mom. Maybe it'll give you two the chance to finally talk to one another?" Rakio's eyes look hopeful, knowing they will be leaving once the festival comes to a close.

"A festival for what?" He mimics her, rolling his eyes. His short arms throw themselves to the sky. "For the marriage of Oran and Ana! Of course, silly!" Those eyes light up, wanting her to smile at his enthusiasm. Oran still doesn't stir from his slumber throughout the whole statement. To be honest, the man doesn't even move a muscle for he is in a deep sleep, being able to feel his brother by his side, knowing that Ana is safe.

Ana finally can't help the soft chuckle that leaves her lips as she watches the boy and she sighs, shaking her head in amusement for his enthusiasm....even if it is about a wedding she didn't want in the first place. "All right, all right, I get it." she responds with a smile and then without waiting for permission, she moves from the bed, avoiding Oran carefully so she doesn't wake him. She stands up carefully, feeling the room tip slightly before righting itself and her legs are shaky, but after a few minutes they remember how to straighten properly and her tail stays out away from her, offering balance.

The Princess smiles in triumph as she looks at Rakio, wanting to assure him that she's fine. Her heart is still saddened and her spirit...well, it's angry, but her body is healing well and she knows that is thanks to him. Ana carefully moves her arm, bending it and testing the muscles. They seem to be fine and she looks at her mid-drift with a grimace, noting that the claw-marks will scar, but that's about as much attention as she gives them before she looks up at Rakio again, tilting her head.

"I would love a bath and I wouldn't mind talking with your mother." Not at all. And right now, she doesn't want to fight this 'not being allowed to be alone' thing. She'll do that with Oran later.

----

The bath goes well and Ana feels better for being clean. Her conversation with Nevv had been...interesting. The woman had asked about her preference for children after Ana had asked to feel the baby kick and the Princess had told Oran's mother that she wanted them and always had. But she'd also been truthful about her thoughts on having them with Oran - that it wouldn't happen because they didn't love each other. She was surprised to hear that Nevv had been in an arranged marriage before marrying Yuvo and she'd been grateful for the woman's attempt at comforting her. All in all, their conversation had gone well and Ana found herself wishing the woman was staying. She would have been a good confidant.

The two women had made their way back to Ana's room, Nevv telling her about the celebration on the way. The festival was that night so Ana, finding out it was going to be a lot like the kind her people threw at home during harvest, had chosen to wear a flowing black skirt that reached just above her knees - with tight black shorts underneath, though, those were not visible - and green shirt that rose on her mid-drift, ending at her ribs and hugging her body. Three gold rings were slid over her tail and bangles adorned her left ankle and both her wrists. She'd braided her hair back in the same way that it had been done at her wedding, keeping it out of her face, but letting it fall down her back freely. She kept her feet bare.

As Nevv escorted her back to Rakio's room, Ana found herself tensing slightly, wondering if Oran was awake now...and not sure she wanted him to be or not.

Oran would have awoken after fifteen minutes of Ana soaking in her bath. In his unique daze, he runs his hands over the indent she made in Rakio's sheets. His brother slept soundlessly in his bed during this time since his is obviously occupied. Letting his anger get the better of him, he swoops to his brother, grabbing his hands and wrapping them around his shirt collar. With an easy lift, Rakio is easily squirming in his grasp, yelling at Oran to put him down. Blinking, Oran realizes he is growling at his brother, a hungry look in his eyes. He asks over and over where Ana is, Rakio being too scared to answer. It must have been a nightmare making Oran act this way, the man still haunted by scenes of battle. Whenever that happens, every event, small or big, is always dealt with anger until he fully wakes up.

The iron fists loosening on his brother, Rakio slips to the ground, his embrace immediately going around his brother's waist. "It's o.k. Oran. She is safe. You love her don't you?" With that odd question, Oran is caught off guard, blinking and muttering to himself but still hugging Rakio back. The volcanic man, easily shaken, realizes he is too rough on his brother and immediately kneels down before him. Another warm embrace occurs, Oran telling his younger brother that he was dreaming that Divi had been captured and was being held hostage. Rakio, not picking up on his brother's true love interest, shakes his head, advising his elder that he has to focus on Ana now. "And what a smart boy you are," Oran assures that blue eyed boy. "And tell me, Rakio. Will she be well for the festivities tonight?" A single nod is all he needs to calm down. "She is safe with mom now. Thank the flame."

The door clicks open and Oran looks over his shoulder at the two ladies. He has been keeping himself pampered throughout her illness, making sure there weren't two reeking bodies in the room instead of just the one. Oran hardly noticed after a while, to be honest. Sitting there with her gave him the chance to really stare at her without fear of her -feeling- his emotions or looking back into his eyes. There is a sense of fear there for his eyes tell a lot about him when his mouth is shut. "I see you're both looking well this morning." The human stands, placing a hand on Rakio's shoulder, his brother staying close. His amber hues tell Ana that they need to talk. Not wishing to rush things though, Oran places a fake smile on his lips, waiting as his mother bids her goodbyes, telling them both that she will see them at the festival.

Ana smiles warmly at Nevv, bidding her goodbye and thanking her before she watches the woman go. As the door shuts, the Princess takes a deep, but nearly silent breath and turns to face her husband and his brother. She gives Rakio a small smile and a nod, telling him silently that he's done well because she can almost sense the residual tension and fear in the room. And anger. There is a scent of anger, too and she frowns, almost glaring at Oran.

"I asked him to let me go. You didn't have to get mad about it."

Not caring that she might have just unnerved him again with her uncanny ability, Ana moves past him to the bed and starts to strip it, wanting to feel useful and like she's doing something. Once the sheets are off, she balls them up and sets them on the end of the bed before sitting down and crossing her legs, her chin in her hand and her elbow on her knee. Her expression is almost bored as she addresses her husband.

It's entirely an act as her tail gives testament to, twitching and quivering with the nerves and the fear settling in her middle. She doesn't want to have this conversation....oh, she really doesn't....

"What do you want to know?"

Oran raises a brow as Ana seems to be walking and working just fine. Perhaps Oran -was- too cruel about her state to Rakio. He is a fine healer and an even bolder brother. Feeling guilty now, Oran squeezes Rakio's shoulder. His eyes should be enough of a sign to signal that he is sorry for his flare. But again, Oran is known for his short temper. It's something all of his family have in common. "Shouldn't we speak outside? Perhaps the fresh air will do you some good. The stink of this room is unsettling I am sure." Even Rakio frowns at the comment, knowing that it's true, his own stomach becoming a bit queazy as Oran brings the wafting smells to light.

Depending on if they stay in the dank room or move up to the open air and creamy textured sky, Oran still doesn't know how to start. "I have so many questions. How about let's start at the beginning and you can just slowly tell me everything. I know we don't know one another but the important things shouldn't be left out. Even if they're personal... I have to know them." Waving his hand in the air a little, he is even chiding himself on the way he sounds, ordering her around. "I know, I know. If you want me to protect you from him, I have to know all there is to know."

Status
Not open for further replies.