A Doll's Destiny

Clara laughed at how excited he was about watching another movie. "Well, it's getting late and I need to get some sleep since I work tomorrow, so we're going to have to wait to watch another one tomorrow," she told him. She hated to disappoint him, but she had things that had to be done. She couldn't watch movies all night.

"Oh, okay, that's fine," Aiden laid on his left side, his head resting against the couch's arm. "I don't mean to impose, but I don't suppose you have any extra pillows and blankets, do you?

"I do. Let me get them for you," Clara replied. She got up and went into the closet to get the pillows and blankets for him. She wasn't entirely sure what he would want exactly so she got him a pillow and two different blankets. She wasn't quite sure if dolls got hot or cold very easily. She came back and set them down for him to move around as he wanted.

"Thanks, hun," Aiden sat up, grabbed the pillow, and put it against the couch's arm. Next, he chose the red, fluffy blanket and pulled it overtop himself. Emitting a satisfied sigh, he laid back down, snuggling beneath the blanket. "Night, Clara. Thank you so much for letting me stay here."

Clara smiled and gave him a nod. "Do you prefer it to be dark? Or do you like a little bit of light from somewhere?" she asked him. She wasn't sure what way he preferred to sleep so she would wait until he told her before she went turning out all the lights in the house. She wasn't quite sure what would be the preference of a doll. Perhaps he wouldn't like it too dark, depending on how he might have been kept in the past.

"Dark, please," Aiden said.

"Okay," Clara replied. She went over to the lights and turned them off. "Good night." As soon as her eyes adjusted to the darkness she walked towards the hallway and to her own bedroom so she could get ready for bed and sleep. She turned on the light once she got to her bedroom, but closed the door so she wouldn't bother Aiden on the couch. She got herself ready then once done, got into bed so she could get some sleep.

Nodding, Aiden rolled onto his side and shut his eyes. The place was silent, allowing him to relax. He fell into a pieceful slumber.

Clara soon fell asleep. After all, she had gone through a lot that day. Not only did she work like usual, but the arrival of a living doll was still rather shocking. It didn't take long for all of that to put her fast asleep. Her alarm went off in the morning to wake her up. She got up and got herself ready for work, though didn't want to bother Aiden yet until she needed to get some breakfast. She wasn't sure how much he might need to sleep. Once she was done with everything she could do in her room, she headed out to the kitchen to start making herself some breakfast.

Aiden's eyes slowly blinked open. He stretched and pushed himself upright. Climbing off the couch, he wandered into the kitchen, spotting Clara preparing breakfast. Yawning, he said, "Morning, Clara, how are you, dear?"

Clara glanced over towards the doll as she cooked some eggs. "I'm doing well. How about you? How did you sleep?" she asked him. She wasn't sure how well her couch might feel, but since he had a small body it probably was fine. If he was full size, it might be a bit cramped. She looked back at the eggs as she continued to cook them.

Aiden climbed aboard a chair and sat at the table. "I slept very well, thanks, and yourself?"

"That's good. I did also," Clara replied. She finished making her eggs and placed them on a plate. She set it down on the table then also got herself something to drink. Once she had everything, she sat down to eat. "So, in order to take you into the store with me, I'm going to have to place you in a bag again. Are you okay with that? It's only to carry you to the store. I don't think people are ready to see a doll walking down the street on it's own yet."

Aiden sighed, but nodded reluctantly. He didn't like being in bags, but if it was so people wouldn't get scared, he'd do it. "Alright."

She could tell by his initial reaction he wasn't too happy about a bag, but they had no choice. "Don't worry. I'll have you stick out some, okay? So you can see what's around us. Just don't go moving as best as you can," she replied. It was fine to have a doll sticking out a big if he 'didn't fit the bag properly', so she figured she could just pick one and let his head poke out of it. "How does that sound to you? Does that make it a bit better?"

"That does, and can I walk around the store, even when people come in? I mean, if I want people to get used to me, I should be trying to talk to them. Small talk, you know," the doll said. He wasn't remaining in the dark forever.

"Well...I suppose we can try the store," Clara replied. She didn't want to make him hide his own life, but she also knew that it was really odd to have him alive in the first place. "But let's just take it slow. Try not to overdo it with the people. It's a little overwhelming having you come up out of nowhere. So, maybe just talk to them occasionally." It was overwhelming when she first experienced him. And she really couldn't have them losing business because they got scared away.

"That makes sense. I think I'll just sit on the counter and either wave or say hi to people who go up to check out," Aiden said. The last thing he wanted was to inadvertently damage Clara's business.

Clara nodded. That would probably be fine for now. They might even just think he was a robotic doll at some points. It might be the best way to ease people into it. She ate some of her eggs. "You know, come to think of it, wouldn't it be a bit bad if everyone found out about you though," she commented. "Like you mentioned last night. What if there's someone who wants to kidnap you from me and start doing experiments on you?"

"That's true...but I think that'll happen less often with you in there with me," the doll said. He gave himself a reminder to remain cautious.