A Doll's Destiny

He wasn't really helping all that much and considering he had no idea, why did he think she had any clue either? She let out a sigh and stared at him some more. "Alright. I guess we just go through some random names and you can pick one that you prefer," she commented. She guessed just listing some off might be the best option. "Henry, Steve, Nico, Alex, Carson, Dante, Jake, Takumi, Thomas, Xavier, Aiden, Cedrick. Any of those yet?"

"Aiden, Takumi, and Sedric sound interesting," the doll said. He had three options to choose from, but he was eager to hear what else she could come up with. "Anything else?"

She had to come up with more? It was harder than he thought it was. He could come up with whatever he wanted to. He was bound to have heard names before in the past. "Uh, how about Cole or Desmond," she commented. "Jace, Roland, Leroy, Silas, Collins, Sawyer, Hayden, Marco." It was hard to come up with a ton of names so she hoped he would find one that would stand out to him soon.

"Um...I think I like Aiden the most. Don't know why, it just sounds cool," the doll, Aiden, grinned up at her. "Thanks for the help, darling."

"If that's the one you like, then we'll call you Aiden," Clara replied. She was glad he had found one because she really couldn't think of any more names. She let out a relieved sigh then gave him a small smile. "You're welcome. Now, it's getting late so I should make something to eat for myself. You're welcome to join me in the kitchen, even if you don't eat anything."

"Thanks, Clara," Aiden turned about and walked back out into the kitchen. Spotting a chair at the head of the table, he pulled it out and climbed on. "Would you like any help?"

Clara gave him another smile then walked into the kitchen as well. She opened up the refrigerator to see what she might want to make. She really didn't want to take a long time to make anything considering she just met a talking doll and it was technically still a lot to take in. "Well," she commented when she heard his question. "I suppose you can pull some lettuce for me. I think I'm going to make a salad." She pulled out the lettuce and placed it in front of him and also gave him a bowl he could put it in. The then pulled the rest of the vegetables that she wanted out of the fridge so she could cut them up.

Nodding, Aiden pulled out a leaf of lettuce out the container and tore it into bite-sized, placing them in the bowl and moving on to the next one. Once he was finished, he twisted around and held up the bowl. "Here you go. I'd come over and hand it to you, but I don't think climbing off a chair with a bowl of food is safe."

While Aiden was working on the lettuce, Clara was busy cutting up the other vegetables. When she heard that he was finished she walked over to him and took the bowl. "Thank you," she commented. She sat the bowl down and put the rest of her ingredients into the salad, then washed it all. Once it was done being made and she had put everything that she wanted in it, she took a seat at the table so she could eat. "So, what do you like, Aiden?"

He folded his plush hands on the wooden surface. "Well, I like technology, music, animals, checking things out, and helping people. I was a comfort object at a mental hospital. The patients there would do everything to me from holding and petting to hitting and punching. Even though I couldn't do anything to stop them, to a degree, I could see why they did. Those people had issues, and, well, everyone knows it's not right to take all that out on an actual person, so I think they thought that having something soft and nonthreatening, me, would help. Still doesn't change the fact I hated it though."

Clara frowned when she heard the story about his time at the mental hospital. "Do you feel pain?" she then asked him. He was a doll, so she wasn't quite sure. But he was also talking to her and moving around, and if he had things that he liked, then it was very possible he did feel pain especially if he hated those times. "I'm sorry that happened to you, but just know that won't happen here. And if you'd like, we can get you some things you enjoy."

He chuckled softly, then frowned. "Yeah, I do feel pain, but I can't be bruised or break bones. Thank goodness. One good thing that came out of all that was listening in on conversations between therapists and patients. I learned a lot about how the world works."

She had a feeling he would tell her he did. She wasn't surprised. But there wasn't anything she could do about the past. It was over. "You won't have to feel pain here," she replied. "I would say though that not everything that you heard in those conversations necessarily show you the world. There are many parts to our society. Each person has a different view of things, even therapists and patients. The best way to learn is to experience as much as possible." She finally took another bite of her salad.

"That's true. Not every person has the same problem, and not every therapist has the same solution," Aiden leaned back with a sigh. "I guess that's both amazing and infuriating."

"And not everyone is a patient that needs a therapist in the first place," Clara said back. "You'll see a lot of different people being out in the world. It'll probably be confusing and honestly, I don't think it's really possible to understand it all. After all, you're in this world too and you're a living doll. Something that I would have thought was only in movies and books."

"I suppose so, but to be fair, I'm sure there are some things in this world you yourself are confused by," the toy said.

"Of course there are," Clara replied back after she swallowed one of her bites. "I won't even pretend to know everything. I mean, no offense, but I'm pretty confused on how you're even possible. So, yeah. I'm plenty confused about things." She didn't know everything. In fact, she barely knew anything at all. And she wouldn't act like she did either. She was sure no one really understood all of it and if they claimed to, they were surely lying.

"I don't even know how I can come to life either. I only did it at night, so I wouldn't cause anyone to have a heart attack," Aiden responded. "I think not knowing everything about...well, everything is better than knowing. It's the people who get scared of something they don't understand I have issues with. I mean, I'm lucky you didn't completely lose it and try dissecting me."

Clara gave him a smile and laughed a little, considering she heard his comment about her not losing it and dissecting him. "Well, I would never dissect you. That's not my thing. But I do admit that I almost did lose it. I mean, your not very normal to see after all. And it's a lot to take in," she replied. In fact, she was still in awe and unsure. He didn't even know how he was possible and it seemed like it was just going to stay a mystery, but that didn't mean she was completely 'normal' about the situation. It was still rather odd and she still needed time to process all of it. "It might honestly take me some time to be completely used to you, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Just bare with me as my mind tries to accept things completely."

"That's perfectly fine, I'm patient. Besides, I need to get used to the fact some people wouldn't take well to someone like me," the doll said. He giggled. "Enough about me, what about, Clara? What's your story?"