Without Heaven [OOC + Signups]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be putting up a critique of the new character as soon as my laptop figures out how to keep a connection longer than 3 seconds. (Posting from phone)

@Buio

My friend, you are ruining the fun of the surprise. Well, I guess not all of it. But honestly, your piece was invaluable to me to better refine Makoto's background, and to that I say thank you. You hit the nail quite on the head. Still, I didn't really mean "in the muscles" on surface value...

Reactions: Buio
ah, well, nevermind, i suppose reviewing an accepted character would be redundant then. welcome to the rp.

I really would like to clear up one persisting misunderstanding I'm seeing pop up in this roleplay though . Geisha in real life were not trained and would have had nothing to learn, from a common brothel. Brothel girls by far and large, much like today, needed to be one thing: pretty enough to pay for. Geisha went through years of training (which is a huge financial investment to make into someone) to make them into women who were so talented in conversation, poetry, music, tea ceremonies, and other such skills, that they didn't need to spread their legs to entertain their guests, they were better than that, that was the whole point.

However, with that being said, I think by this point we may as well just accept that in whatever alternate history timeline where ritenkyo and ritenkyo's japan exist, the geisha were basically high-class prostitutes since most people coming into this rp wanting to play them seem to have that idea. Also, if we wanted to be painfully accurate to history, none of the girls here woudl be geisha since technically geisha didn't exist until the early 1700's, and female geisha weren't a trend until the late 1700. and while geisha were, and I quote: essentially imprisoned and strictly forbidden to sell sex in order to protect the business of the Oiran. While licensed courtesans existed to meet men's sexual needs, machi geisha carved out a separate niche as artists and erudite female companions.[15]

But, before geisha was a 'thing' existed, in the time period where we're currently playing, the closest equivalent were Yujo, "play women", and the highest ranking of those women were [a combination of actress and prostitute, originally playing on stages set in the dry Kamo riverbed in Kyoto. They performed erotic dances and skits, and this new art was dubbed kabuku, meaning "to be wild and outrageous".]

these would be the closest equivalent to geisha and technically what all our high-class brothel girls should be calling themelves.

if, this was real-world japan. But like i said, at this point it's a lot simpler to just say that in our RP's altered history, geisha emerged about 200 years early and were not barred from engaging in prostitution.

Last edited:
@Cambridge Hazard haha, thank you kindly for the warm words, and you are most certainly welcome. I'm always happy to hear my feedback helps anyone understand their character/story/world/theme better ^_^

@Buio it's honestly really cool to hear all of this stuff from you; I've heard tidbits here and there but nothing as thorough as your critiques (which kind of makes me wonder whether there's anything you had to say about my own OC...). Does make me wonder why so many people are creating prostitutes and/or geishas, though. I mean, having a bunch of female warriors would be a little silly (onna-bugeisha notwithstanding), but why so many sex workers?

I'd have to say that since the theme is a criminal island, most people's idea of an 'interesting female criminal' character is a high-class prostitute, it;s an interesting enough type of character to play since there are such clear societal connotations (that i don't particularly agree with but that's another conversation) of sex workers being abused taken-advantage-of women who do it because they have no other option, and that selling one's sex is an act of ultimate self devaluation. But then you put a strong woman in that role and she turns it into her strength, she gains power through what should be what robs her of it. It's a compelling subversion and the same underlying principle is what makes characters like tyrion lannister (mr. 'wear it as your armour and it can never be used to hurt you' himself) so popular. Plus, yanno, Memoires of a Geisha is a film that happened haha.

That is a very good point; subversion is interesting. I know in my case I wanted to play around with power; in a lot of fiction criminal organizations have plenty of beautiful women, but they're either props or flunkies, and either way their sexiness and sensuality is emphasized, so having a woman who is sexual but uses it to get power, instead of being someone else's plaything, sounded like fun. I was also considering an onna-bugeisha for a more straightforward, heroic role, but I don't play a lot of villains or really morally gray characters. Actually on that note if there's anything useful you know about onna-bugeisha or just the wives of samurai in general, can you message me about it?

Yeah, I read the original book when I was way too young for it, because the cover was pretty and I was interested in Japan. I was an incredibly naive thirteen-year-old.

Haha, well, to be entirely fair it's not like i have an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Japanese (though, I always have been quite the japanophile so I do know more than your average guy), I just like the culture, and generally the kind of guy who likes to find out trivia about things he enjoys, and I have had several japanese friends in my life, so i know a lot of general information. Butwhenever i need specifics on something, I usually just look it up on wikipedia to get the finer details. for example, i knew for a fact from my japanese friends that geisha were not prostitutes and that japanese people as a general rule found that stereotype annoying, since it goes directly against what geisha actually were. Much like they find the western stereotype of the 'backstabbing ninja' annoying since ninja were traditionally and historically far more loyal than samurai ever were. However I myself didn't know about the time period being totally off until i researched the subject before replying.

as for onna-bugeisha, as far as I know they were basically just the female equivalent to samurai. I'm sure there were finer discrepancies, but ultimately it came down to 'witches vs wizards' when i last looked them up. The main striking difference is that whereas teh samurai had their iconic katana, the onna-bugeisha were masters of the naginata, which was considered a more elegant weapon befitting of a woman's beauty even in battle, at least that was the reason as I've heard it, I can't cite and hard sources so don't quote me on that one lol. Male spear-men tended to favour the Yari spear instead (the cross-headed one you've likely seen in samurai films, Yukimura sanada's weapon if you know who that is). Both were also usually trained in the Yumi Bow, and to really rather lethal accuracy (if you've ever seen the samurai episode of deadliest warrior, you should know what i mean) but sadly that part of their training rarely lives on in modern fiction, for either gender. the only real difference is that, naturally, onna-bugeisha tended to favour weapons that didn't rely on lots of brute strength. But yeah, onna-bugeisha were known to do some insanely badass things. Like the one woman who was 8 months pregnant but dressed up in full battle armour and grabbed her naginata when her father-in-law, who had sent a letter ahead requesting he be given permission to see his grandchildren (while he was en-route to a battle where he and her husband, his eldest son, would be fighting on opposite sides), showed up at her castle. She told him that since her husband was fighting for the tokugawa (ieyasu being her adoptive father no less) and they were fighting against him that she could not allow them entry into the castle, and was ready to fight them off as invaders if they came in. The father-in-law backed off and put up camp at a nearby temple, where she surprised him by showing up there with the kids, granting him his wish.

maaan, you know what's annoying? totally wanting to submit two more characters to this roleplay (a shogunate shinobi and a badass ronin girl) when I still need to post with the 2 characters I have already haha.

Reactions: WarriorHeart
by the way, I'm assuming that gin and shiro are not in tsubaki-maru, right?

I hope they are.

On a side note, I personally like the idea of this taking place in a timeline alternate to ours. Launches a myriad possibilities for where the story could go, and just imagine the potpourri of characters at the center. Mad old chemist from the Tsardom of Russia, anyone? But of course, I'll still stick with the persons I've already come up for this story. That said, I get the feeling, @Buio bro.

I do the same thing, looking at Wikipedia or its sources or internet articles when I want to know more about something like this. I've got a character or two I'd like to add, but yeah, it's a bit early to start playing a new character.

Guys, I'm sorry for not posting yet. Too busy doing my homework but I'll try my best to post when I had time. Please don't hate me >_<

I hope they are.

On a side note, I personally like the idea of this taking place in a timeline alternate to ours. Launches a myriad possibilities for where the story could go, and just imagine the potpourri of characters at the center. Mad old chemist from the Tsardom of Russia, anyone? But of course, I'll still stick with the persons I've already come up for this story. That said, I get the feeling, @Buio bro.
well honestly, this needs to be alternate history, since one of the major plot points in this roleplay is the tokugawa sword hunt, whereas in real life Nobunaga and hideyoshi were the ones to do sword hunts. Ieasu Tokugawa actually used swords as favour chips, taking them away from peasants but leaving them in the hands of the esteemed samurai class. He was an incredibly shrewd diplomat who knew how to avoid doing things to piss off his noble allies and weaken his power.

Last edited:
That's actually very interesting. Perhaps this Tokugawa had ulterior motives when he announced the sword hunt?

Because it's alternate history, and everything goes. Henceforth, I fully expect chi blasts and dragons as well as blind swordsmen wielding weapons made out of meteors magical space rocks. Don't fail me, team!

• Love
I rather liked the fact that ordinary excellence was still viable here...

as well as blind swordsmen wielding weapons made out of meteors magical space rocks

and let us not forget teh appearance of a mysterious assassin that will only be known as Sparky Sparky Boom Boom man

oh, and in case anyone was curious. Yasuke, sasuke's father, is totally a guy that existed. Yep, THE Oda Nobunaga, devil king of the sixth heaven, the man who set fire to an entire mountain/budhist monastery and thus condemned to death the 3000 or so innocent civilians in it all to get rid of some annoying warrior monks, also totally had a black BFF haha. How this guys has not yet been introduced as a character in Samurai Warriors is beyond me (and yes, i took some liberties with yasuke's backstory before coming to japan as well as what happened to him after parting ways with nobunaga)

Last edited:
Reactions: Duwang Chew
That guy was apparently so popular they had to bring his Rule 63 back for the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.