Without Heaven [OOC + Signups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I have a link to all that lore because I didn't see that in the small description. Based off the info in the premise there'd be no reason for the dojo simply to be moved to the island. So I would appreciate the link to this info so I can redo the bio.

EDIT: Also the premise of this character is a more bad ass version of my favorite character from Samurai Champloo. This explains why the Bio is so simple and is heavily focused on losing a father.

sure, and dont feel bad about it. It's kind of stuff we've all discussed across the OOC and just hasn't found itself into a single conglomerated post on the front page yet. gimme a sec while i go back and find the post where Holo mentioned how long the prisoners had been on the island (and any others I might find that would be useful to you)

Reactions: Buio
ah, a thrilling improvement ^_^.

the only thing i have to mention is that you probably meant that she likes 'sake' in her likes section. Pronounced 'sah-kay' (though english-peaking americans have an annoying tendency of pronouncing it 'sah-kee', like they pronounce karate as 'kah-ruh-tee' instead of the proper 'kah-rah-tay'), it is japan's staple alcoholic beverage that you've likely seen in a hundred anime. Saki, pronounced sah-kee, is a japanese girl's name roughly translating to 'blossiming hope' (when using the standard kanji anyways).

Not that a lesbian character wouldn't be accepted, but I'm sure that's not what you were going for haha.

besides that I have no qualms with the character and see no reason she wouldn't get accepted by holo

"Then a bullet tore the child in half, splattering his sister with his insides."

uhhhh, not that I'm no fan of vivid imagery myself , but these are muskets right? not anti-tank rifles? lol
Actually, old-time metallurgy didn't allow for the creation of the sort of fine calibers that exist today. The standard musket ball was a .58. I've seen what a .50 can do to a human body, and the musket calibers were bigger than that, so I'm going to assume that they had proportionately greater effects.

And I'm deliberately leaving out details. Sure, I could post full details about how the child's body was opened up by the bullet, but who'd want to read that?

Actually, old-time metallurgy didn't allow for the creation of the sort of fine calibers that exist today. The standard musket ball was a .58. I've seen what a .50 can do to a human body, and the musket calibers were bigger than that, so I'm going to assume that they had proportionately greater effects.

You are right about the calibers. Muzzleloaders have a much lower velocity than modern guns. Also, ball ammunition is not likely to fragment. That being said, our is not unlikely that the projectile wouldn't pass clean through the girl. If a vital organ or vessel was knocked, there would be much bloodbecause as was previously stated; big round.

I approve of a ground unit for the shogunate aggressors.

@ShiroKiyoshi
Haruki is approved! Feel free to start posting in thw the IC thread.

I'm just going to put this up here.

Muzzle velocity is the speed a projectile has at the moment it leaves the muzzle of the gun.[1] Muzzle velocities range from approximately 120 m/s (390 ft/s) to 370 m/s (1,200 ft/s) in black powder muskets,[2] to more than 1,200 m/s (3,900 ft/s)[3] in modern rifles with high-performance cartridges such as the .220 Swift and .204 Ruger, all the way to 1,700 m/s (5,600 ft/s)[4] for tank guns firing kinetic energy penetrator ammunition.

so the highest ranking muzzle velocities recorded by black powder muskets, is still only about a third the speed of a sniper rifle today. Even if the musket round, which is a sphere that would have much more of its energy dispersed on contact compared to a tapered-point modern bullet, was somehow travelling fast enough to shoot through the admittedly smaller body of a child instead of begging lodged on bone, cartilage or in muscle tissue, it couldn't have maintained enough velocity to exit with enough force to send guts flying.

not to mention that these guns can't be top-quality muskets because of the fact that, whether you're talking about the attack force on the street (that was aiming at a tall man sitting in an elevated palanquin, while children as small targets near the ground), or the one on the rooftops, if these were all men aiming to assassinate the priest while wielding accurate black powder rifles, none of their shots would have deviated wide enough to hit a bunch of kids standing idly by, the angles don't make sense unless you account for the bullet changing trajectory by a significant margin mid-air (which tells us the round lost even more of its kinetic force just travelling to its destination).

• Useful
Reactions: Michelle the Editor
Holo, I went ahead and compiled a list of the recently accepted characters for you if you wanted to add them to the first page.

Sasuke
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/without-heaven-ooc-signups.109880/page-10#post-2297260

Shinobu Haruki
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/without-heaven-ooc-signups.109880/page-10#post-2305727

Makotowain
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/without-heaven-ooc-signups.109880/page-9#post-2296456

Also, I've made a collection of the so-far introduced NPCs, I figure we should put them up on the first page too so we can keep track of them better.

NPCs

*owned NPC, do not use without permission
^For-Sale NPC, contact for information

Vonghese

Shirahama Kenki

Japanese pirate. Quite the debonair gentleman, has family in Aito's village. Aito may or may not be banging his niece. Kenki confides himself to the wakazashi, as that's more practical in the close confines of ship-to-ship combat, but wields one in each hand like a Holy Storm. He puts at the pirate port every month or so, lets his men get all their crazy out, then comes home to spend a few days with his brother's family.

Iwanami Kōjien

The Most Holy man on the island, according to all but himself. Kōjien is the leader of the island's Shinto priests. He's a very kindly and humble old man, who always goes barefoot and works his ass off to support whatever community he's passing through. Aito is a great admirer of him. He's a gentle soul who wouldn't hurt a fly. Very old, but highly skilled in the healing arts.

Nezumi Kozō

The most outrageous and flamboyant thief you could ask for, who frequently trades stolen goods to the fisherfolk of Aito's village in return for food and other supplies. He is a member of one of the criminal gangs on the island. He does not lead them, but frequently represents them as a spokesman.

*^The Princess
One of Aito's rumoured concubines, a daimyo's lord of refined beauty. In spite of being in service to him she is a dedicated student of his school and thus a frightful Naginata wielder in her own right.

*^The Pauper
One of Aito's rumoured concubines, A pearl found in the sea foam, she was raised a simple fisherman's daughter in spite of her great beauty. While she is in service to Aito, she is a dedicated student of his school and thus a frightful Naginata wielder in her own right.

Buio

*Narumi
A young Goze (blind female musician) who travels with Sasuke and Jingen. She is a soft spoken but hope-filled young woman who plays the shamisen with some considerable skill for her age. While she is more accustomed to playing slower tunes by training, she has started learning more fast paced melodies to better accommodate Sasuke's addition to their performances.

*Jingen
A bald man in his late twenties with a rugged stature and grim expression. He is actually not as grumpy as people think, he just has a severe case of resting jerk face. He is a decent percussionist who carries with him a small drum to play in the performances put on by his two partners, and can atually play a variety of similar instruments when given the chance, but he sees himself first and foremost as Narumi's bodyguard and caretaker and thus prefers to travel light. He is often the acting voice of reason.

Michelle the Editor

Nobu
A samurai in the service of the Three Blades, survivor of one of the recent assassinations. A frequent customer of the street of flowers who has learned to keep his lips pursed around the women there.

(I won't include Haruki's family members because, as far as i know, none of them are on the island with her, right. If i missed anyone, please tell me)

@Buio "Come, die nameless, but at least die beautifully." I think that's one of the best lines I've ever read! Well done, sir. Well done.

• Thank You
Reactions: Buio
Thank you for the addition @WarriorHeart

and thank you as well for the compliment ^_^

Reactions: WarriorHeart
@Buio Haruki is maintaining a family Dojo supported mainly by her father's wealth. Her disciples have increased though due to the martial nature of the people on the island.

oh? how is it maintained by his wealth? I mean, how does he manage to get money from japan to ritenkyo? Also, i had gotten the impression that letting her build a dojo on the prison island rather than on the mainland was a back-handed compliment from him, i hadn't expected him to actually fund it.

either way though, all is still correct as far as i can tell, since no named disciple was mentioned yet right?

Yes. And the pay is simple as anything. It sent overseas, you have to remember she was sent over there because she disgraced him with her talk, but still won in their duel and thus couldn't be denied the title of Grandmaster as such her father is now beneath her in ranking of the Dojo. Family wise he still loves his daughter @Buio.

And the Dojo has already been paid previously. Her father does not know how the island operates and as a result sends hefty sums expecting much from his talented daughter. Despite her renown Haruki has just enough students to pay off whatever taxes, debts, etc. she may owe. Another thing to note is she is a female Grandmaster so on an island full of talented and aspiring martial artists she would be well-known and many would want to see her skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.