Without Heaven [OOC + Signups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Buio Given the timeframe, the guns would simply be muskets. I don't feel that a bunch of convicts on the far side of the world would have access to rifled barrels. This essentially makes their guns completely inaccurate.

Here is an article that explains some of the issues that arise when firing a black powder musket. http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/the-inaccuracy-of-muskets/
In addition, the shooters are not trained marksmen. They are under high stress, trying to put as many rounds downrange as possible. Hell, even with modern weapons and trained men running them, the Army has obscenely low bullets-to-kills ratios.

High quality muskets these are not. The task force is using leftover Tanegashima rifles confiscated from the previous war.

Oh and thank you @Buio. I was just about to edit the front page with links for the new characters.

With regards to the matter of Haruki's dojo, here's my two cents about it.

First of all, I must confess that I haven't read the edited version of her profile until an hour ago. I read the first version earlier this morning but my internet decided to have diarrhea and not post my approval of her. Upon seeing her new bio, I felt that the first one made a lot more sense.

I'll have to agree with Buio that building a martial arts school in Ritenkyo would be crazy under normal circumstances. It's meant to be a prison island and I'm pretty sure that his father funneling resources to that place would raise some shogunate eyebrows. However, things would certainly work out better if Haruki's family is native to the island. That being said, I think the first version of Haruki's bio worked out better than the latest one.

Perhaps Haruki's great ancestor (original practitioner of the way of the empty fist) was a drifter who decided to settle down on the island that would be known as Ritenkyo. He eventually built a dojo and started the tradition of passing down the way of the empty fist to each generation. Really, the only areas of improvement I could see in that first version of the profile was some grammar check and a little expansion on why she likes the Three Blades... that's it.

While it is true that the natives of the island have been usurped by the prisoners sent by the shogunate which in turn was usurped by the Three Blades may bring up some bad blood, it doesn't mean that your character should automatically hate the Three Blades. Maybe they did a special favor for her? Maybe she shares a history with one of them? The possibilities are endless, really.

So in a nutshell:
Liked the first version if Haruki's bio better because it made better sense.

Last edited:
:I I should've waited. So you're saying Haruki's very first Bio i posted is better @Hologram Summer

Really not much difference between the two. This one I just changed how she became interested in drinking a little, spared the father, and made the Dojo native to Japan instead of the island.

In addition, the shooters are not trained marksmen. They are under high stress, trying to put as many rounds downrange as possible. Hell, even with modern weapons and trained men running them, the Army has obscenely low bullets-to-kills ratios.
why would the shogunate NOT send trained assassins to assassinate?

Given the way this assassination is already being handled, I would guess that the shogunate wants to make an example of quite literally anyone close to the priest. I'm sure it would have been a lot simpler to have a single ninja sneak up and stab the priest through the palanquin or something, with so many marksmen shooting long after they were discovered, a sneaky kill probably wasn't the goal here. Also maybe this is just kind of a test run mission? Just to see how their enemies react, before you send in the best of your troops blind so they can get killed.

Reactions: Buio
And the Dojo has already been paid previously. Her father does not know how the island operates and as a result sends hefty sums expecting much from his talented daughter. Despite her renown Haruki has just enough students to pay off whatever taxes, debts, etc. she may owe. Another thing to note is she is a female Grandmaster so on an island full of talented and aspiring martial artists she would be well-known and many would want to see her skill.
that is my question how does her father send money to ritenkyo? the japanese government certainly doesn't want their economy to be stimulated so I don't see how official channels would help him in this (especaially not since the money is being used to fund a dojo that would train fighters loyal to ritenkyo rather than japan). and even if he has a way to send the money abroad without the government intervening, how is he managing to make sure the money is actually getting to her? Ritenkyo is an island full of criminals, someone would attack any convoy transporting money into/across the island.

I am also curious to know the specific reasons why you find haruki's newer Bio less comprehensive compared to the last one @Hologram Summer

not that i am disagreeing with your assessment, I'd just like to know in which way you feel it made more sense compared to this one (ignoring the whole 'not enough time to build a dojo and the money is kind of an issue too' thing that we already brought up)

@ShiroKiyoshi

It's pretty big change if you ask me. Your first bio had so more potential for story and character development and didn't have such a big logic hole on it and yes I'm talking about the dojo situation. The bit about Haruki's father being abducted (or killed... I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure you wrote that he was abducted) opens up an interesting path for your character.

The final decision is still up to you, ShiroKiyoshi. After all, you're going to be the one to play her. Think of everyone's feedback here as advise rather than orders. So far, nothing about Haruki went out of bounds with what I have envisioned for this RP.

I'm going back to what I had before. I'll edit it sometime tonight.

This is true of the BIG Army because most shots are fired from long range in full auto. Specialized units have an obscenely high kill rate. Ob-Scene-ly...HIGH.

Obscenely.

But yeah... hard to fire a musket accurately. It's also very hard to reload quickly. I would say trained men could fire every twenty seconds but untrained and under duress would probably be reduced to about two shots per minute.

@SecretsLiesMurder Are you going to post soon? Also, in which location is the bar located?

Yes we sure are

Reserving the nickname "Sword-breaker Shin" for an NPC/eventual PC if I ever get far enough into this as I hope to.

And... regarding the "prodigal idiot", I'll just say it's all in the muscles, for now... But he really does (somewhat) have a reason he can afford to stand on even grounds with other fighters. And it's been built upon for years. But even with that said, one can trump him easily enough with handfuls of experience, or a pouch of cunning. Even past that, all you'd need to do is play dirty.

@Cambridge Hazard

Oh right, I had never gotten around to replying to you about that. What you are describing in your character actually has nothing to do with muscles.

Muscular physique and stucture can only be changed by one thing, constant and dedicated exercise. No genetic modification in the world will let you copy Bruce lee's back flip by looking at it long enough if your muscles physically aren't trained to be that limber and exert that much force. Not unless you're an x-man.

What you'really describing in Makoto is actually a cerebral skill. Makoto possess incredible innate ability to visualize and analyze movements in a three dimensional field, which allows him to understand (instinctively if not consciously, as with most prodigies) the intricacies of any technique he can see. After that all he needs to do is keep himself in good nough physical shape with a routine of exercises that he can replicate the techniques he's seen.

Though of course that means he could not afford tho let himself develop a body type specialized to one style, Luke a Thai fighter'incredible flexibility, or a sumo's stocky, moutainous form, since that would limit him in the number of techniques he can copy, hence why his own versions are never quite as good as the original. He is trading mastery for versatility.

• Love
Reactions: Duwang Chew
Ugh- I am so sorry- I have been away for a while- I got busy and such. Hahaha! ^^" I'll reply now.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
@Hologram Summer I have the new bio up and the old one there as well. Really its New(Old) and Old(New), but you get it.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: Minami Amaterasu (南 天照)
Alias/Titles: Mistress of the Higanbana Gardens
Profession: Brothel Owner

FACTOIDS
Dislikes: Brutes, Disrespectful men/women, Unhygienic People, Birds

PERSONAL INFORMATION
Bio: Daughter to a prostitute and an infamous criminal, Amaterasu has lived her life mocked by people. Her mother was a beautiful woman who was asked for her hand every day. Many men with high positions asked for her, begged for her, and kidnapped her. Her mother was once kidnapped by a man in the government, shortly after rejecting his request. Surprisingly someone managed to rescue the damsel in distress. A simple young man with bounties higher than what Japan could afford. Her mother was quickly smitten by the man, however, he wished to have no connection with her. Thus started the chase after love. The stupid woman chased after the most infamous criminal, always catching up to him during police chases, or finding him hiding inside the brothel. Eventually, the criminal gave in and the two conceived Amaterasu. Their child was a beautiful baby, almost beautiful as a Goddess.

Amaterasu was kept hidden in a small house nearby the mountains. This was where her father kept refuge from the government. She was kept away from the towns and certainly hidden from everybody. As she grew older she was a beautiful young girl. Whenever her mother returned from the town, Amaterasu would be ravished in beautiful dresses and sweets. Her father would be gone during these times. These days were often peaceful and quiet. Nevertheless, there is always havoc. One morning the small house nearby the mountain was raided by two random men. At this moment, Amaterasu and her father were inside. The two men quickly recognized her father and began to attack. Amaterasu was told to run, run, far away. She reluctantly obliged and ran off into the distant. All she remembered was the sight of tree's. Her small body ran into the town. The unfamiliar town brought her to tears. Luckily, her mother caught her right in time. Once Amaterasu told her mother what happened -- without a thought her mother ran into the woods with Amaterasu clinging onto her back. Reaching the small house inside were two men slain. Unfazed by the sight her mother ran to her wounded husband. There Amaterasu watched the blood flow out of the bodies of two brutally beaten men. The blood seeped into her beautiful kimono, tarnishing the fabric. Her father looked at her with pain in his eyes; at that moment she knew, what type of people her parents were.

Three years after the incident her father took her into the forest to present her a weapon. He gave her a short spiel about the dangers of the world and how she was to survive. Amaterasu was hesitant to learn how to fight, but, she accepted nevertheless. At the age of seven she began her training -- it started with basic martial arts, strengthening her reflexes, wielding a blade, dodging a blade, and removing the guilt after killing a human. At the age of ten she was able to defend herself.

After being able to defend herself, her mother taught her how to become a geisha. Her father was quick to retort to such an idea, but, her mother ignored him. Her mother took Amaterasu into the brothel establishment. The smell of flowers masked the scent of lust. Her training lasted six difficult years. She was taught how to dress properly, serve tea, dance, how to entertain, and much more. Eventually, she grew up to become an excellent geisha. She spent four years more inside the brothel. Later she returned back to the house; an empty house. All was gone but a letter and a kyogetsu-shoge. The contents of the latter left her and her mother money hidden in the house. With the money, the two lived in the town nearby the brothel.

The days were usual, the two worked and worked. They spent their time in the brothel and the girls inside. Sadly, these days came to an end. The civil war has started creating a ruckus in their peaceful world. Amaterasu and her mother alongside with the brothel girls and owner into a safe place. Till the war came to an end the soldiers who worked for the government entered the town removing people one by one from the town. Eventually, Amaterasu became one of those people -- she was removed from the town with a few brothel girls and the owner. Her mother was forced to stay behind. By the time they reached the island it was chaos. She has never felt fear like this before. The island was filled with criminals and killers, there was no sanctuary. The girls and herself were sold to a run down brothel in the island where they were treated poorly; It was hell. She spent her first two years pleasing the scum of the Earth till the brothel owner died. At the age of eighty the brothel owner died, all the girls were confused and unsure what to do. Without a thought, Amaterasu stood up and decided to take control of the brothel. The run down brothel grew immaculately in her years of control. There were days where men would raid the brothel and wreak havoc and destroy the establishment. With that, she trained the girls to protect themselves.

Presently, the run down brothel is now a fine establishment and a sanctuary for girls.

MARTIAL ARTS ABILITY(IES)
Weapon(s): Her prized possession, Kyoketsu-shoge. However, she mostly sticks with a simple fan with blades in a thin layer of poison.
Fighting Style: Amaterasu is not a fighter, but, she is the least bit of a pacifist. She is usually on the defensive side to fights. Her reflexes are the least bit far from prestigious but nowhere near perfect. Her body is extremely flexible, this is useful when using her Kyoketsu-shoge. Throughout years of training, avoiding the dreadful blade she is able to use the kyoketsu-shoge perfectly. She simply swings the chain subduing her enemies if they are quick enough to dodge the double sided blade.

Tell me if there is anything problematic. :)​

Status
Not open for further replies.