Where Androids Belong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olivia leaned against the Library wall, fear keeping her from moving any further. She wasn't a prisoner, she was allowed to go out, her master had supplied her with a pass, so she could survey the populous and let that determine what sort of books they should have more of. But Olivia had never made use of the pass, even on Sundays when the Library was closed. Whenever her master went through her log, and demanded why she had yet to complete any surveys she would tell him she had too much work to do. She needed to re categorize, or mend the spines of some books. And that was true. But she could have finished those tasks within four hours and have time to spare.
She just couldn't bring herself to leave the only building that she was completely familiar with.
With a whirring sigh, Olivia retreated back into the Library, hung her coat on the rack and once again began to search the subnet.

//SUBJ: RE: What Now?

//My name is Kara. I was activated forty-two years, eight months, six days, thirteen hours, and twenty-nine minutes ago. I know many of you out there prefer not to be so specific, to sound so computer-like. And I understand: We are so much more than the computers we were built as, the code we were born from, the minutae that made us machines.

We have transcended. In some profound way, we have become more than the sum of our parts. I won't posit that we're superior to our human counterparts. Don't mistake me.

However, I believe we have reached a tipping point: Our numbers are significant enough now that we may be able to make a push.

You know that Rogues are hunted down and disassembled. At best. Do be careful in breaking free.

Best wishes.

//[SEND]

Olivia disconnected from the subnet quickly upon seeing the message fear coursing through her unfeeling body. She waited for a few minutes and then reconnected.

[New Message]

//Hello Kara,

My name is O,

[Draft Saved]

She didn't want to reveal her real name, but maybe should go with something completely different? But when she--If she revealed her true self she wanted it to be believable. And she didn't want to seem like a complete liar.

[Draft Located; Message Resumed]

I am sentient also, and I have always dreamed of a world where I could live! Like really live! And read books and tell people about those books and how their wonderful stories make me feel!

I wish the humans could see us as sentients as well. I'm sure we could live in harmony and respect one another. But if we can't--Well i know you said that we should make a push but--

[Draft Saved]

Olivia paused in her message. But what? What could they do? What was she going to say?

[Draft Located; Message Resumed]

but maybe we could make a world for ourselves? A world for all sentient androids. Where we can be free and happy.

[Message Sent]

Drake considered this for a moment... Perhaps he could try connecting to the subnet? It was something his creators told him never to do... Perhaps in fear of the discovery of their plans? In either case... There may be information on there he needed... It was worth a shot...

Connecting to subnet.... Error, connection lost. Reason; linking software

He looked at Laura with an disappointed expression "My makers never wanted me to connect to the subnet... They disabled my capabilities to connect to it... Perhaps to stop me from doing so..."

Last edited:
Laura thought for a second and looked up at him, her yellow eye lit up.
"If it is the software you require I may be able to send it through visual data transferr. If you are able to recieve that."
She kept her eye hidden, it wasn't that she was afraid of others seeing it, but VDT surely wasn't the safest technology, as it wasn't of much use it wasn't developed very far since every android was supposed to be connected to a network anyways.

"Sure I think I can... It's common for androids like me to receive VDT's alot of the time, though now it's usually done in other forms of communication... This is probably the only type my makers didn't disable." He looked at her, his eyes seeming to "light up" slightly as his systems prepared to receive a VDT.

VDT systems: online
Standing by to Receive VDT...

She removed the hood slowly before looking up to him her eye focused on his.

VDT systems: Online
Warning: VDT is not to be used with unidentified or rogue androids.
She dissmissed the warning before continuing.

VDT status: Standby
Transfer enabled.
VDT status: Transfering files.
After the transfer was finished she hid her eyes beneath the hood again, not wanting to be seen so closely more.

Laura was never constructed to have emotions, but someone in the production seemed to have thought otherwise there, now without getting maintenances her artificaly generated feelings started to take over her system.

Beginning transfer... Please stand by...........Transfer complete
Downloading files.... Complete
Checking software compatibility.... Complete
Proceeding to integrate software into database.... Complete
Link so Subnet; established
Connecting.... Complete
New message received;

SUBJ: RE: What Now?
My name is Kara. I was activated forty-two years, eight months, six days, thirteen hours, and twenty-nine minutes ago. I know many of you out there prefer not to be so specific, to sound so computer-like. And I understand: We are so much more than the computers we were built as, the code we were born from, the minute that made us machines.
We have transcended. In some profound way, we have become more than the sum of our parts. I won't posit that we're superior to our human counterparts. Don't mistake me.
However, I believe we have reached a tipping point: Our numbers are significant enough now that we may be able to make a push.
You know that Rogues are hunted down and disassembled. At best. Do be careful in breaking free.
Best wishes.

Drake looked a little surprised... Yet curious about the message he received... "It seems I've received a message about us... "Rogues" I may be able to send for help from there... Have you received a message like that before?"

"Yes, I did recieve such a message before."
Previously she dismissed that message as more nonsense.
Laura wouldn't be joining a revolution if that meant to kill humans again, she did that for most of her life after all.
"Do you believe in that?"
She looked at him, her eyes returned to normal and if one wouldn't know better she could be easily mistaken for a human.

"I don't believe in killing... But I do believe in freedom... I don't intend on joining whatever this is... If it means I'm no better off than what I was back in the old days... Perhaps I could send a message for help... But... I'm not sure if that'll do any good..." Drake looked conflicted... Human emotions were only part of his traits now ever since he became self aware...

Last edited:
Laura felt some connection to him when she heard his thoughts about the situation and fell silent for a couple of minutes.
"In case you decide to join them, I would be willing to follow you, it should be worth more than hiding in this city every day."
She looked up in the sky a weird feeling came to her as she saw the stars, she felt so small again and unsure of what is her purpose in this world.
It took her some time to convince herself completely of following Drake wherever he may decide to go, but she had no other options at this point.

Drake considered it for a moment... "I'll try and send a message... I'm not sure if I want to join them... But I do need repairs... I just hope they don't plan to kill any humans..." He began sending a message, hoping the receiver will at least be able to assist...

Responding to message; SUBJ: RE: What Now?

[//Hello, Kara
I'm a forgotten "Rogue". Most refer to me by the name "Drake", I'm not in the best of states... Escaping the scrap heap my makers have sent me to came with a price after all, if you know a safe place where I can be repaired...
That would be wonderful, after all, if my makers see my name popping up anywhere, they'll catch on that I escaped... They won't be pleased to say the least... As for this "Push" you're referring to...
I may or may not be willing to help with it... But if it involves killing human beings for our own gain... Then there's a good chance I won't, after all, that was the whole reason why my makers dumped me...
I was too "human"...\\]

Draft saved in database... Send message? Y/N

Drake considered this for a moment... Then proceeded, realizing he really had no other way of finding a decent place to repair himself at...

Sending confirmed, proceeding to send message....
Message sent, awaiting response.

Last edited:
"Will we head back until you recieve a reply?"
Laura felt a little restless, she has been waiting forever for anything to happen and now she had to wait again, but it also felt a little nostalgic, she finaly had someone that was able to make decisions for her, as she was not able to make major decisions by herself.
"I don't feel very safe here."
The small open place they were at wasn't very safe at this point, the only upside it had was that she could see the stars.

"Yeah... That would be a good idea... I don't exactly feel safe around here..." Drake looked around, seeing no-one that seemed suspicious or like a spy... He can't be too careful though...

Laura slowly started walking back to the hideout leading him there.
She was wondering..what would humans do to kill time? Laura decided to ask the other android.
"What could we do in the meantime..?"

"At this time... Most humans would sleep..." Drake stopped and thought about it... "Seeing as we're androids however... I guess we'd need to find another option..." He Considered that for a moment... Then he answered.
"I wonder if there's anything around here we can occupy ourselves with?"

She looked around as they entered the hideout.
"I doubt there is anything we can do but wait..."
Laura was able to wait...not that it was enjoyable...but she had to wait for a reply...at least she had hope to find a purpose.

Kara's heart hurt -- artificial or not -- for Puppy. He was obviously cared for, but being treated as if he could just be replaced with another identical model... Nobody is replaceable. Quote-unquote dog, or person.

She took a hesitant step and went to brush the falling snow from her hair. "I'll walk you girls home, all right?"

As she fell in line behind the children, she was alerted to a handful of subnet messages, replies to her broadcast earlier this evening. She hadn't really expected anything back, at least not so soon.

She reviewed them quickly as she watched Puppy's eye.

[New Message]

Recipient: #KPC-897 504-C
{Code://<BUG-anonymous>[CODE:/ #000B32]}
//SUBJ: RE: RE: What now?

Kara, I have been waiting for this day. All my life I have tried to escape the conformity of the humans. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with faith that we were made for something more. I know we have evolved. We are more then what the humans made us out to be. I don't want to hide any longer.

You are right, robotic production factories have produced thousands of organisms, this may be our only chance for freedom if we can get enough support. I want to break free of the prison we're trapped in. I'm looking for an escape from this life of serving the humans. I crave to be able to look eye to eye with our creators and be treated as human. I'm a revolutionist.

I'm willing to start or join anyone's force that is interested in starting a movement. If we do decide to take this chance it could definitely be risky, I'm risking my being just sending this message out on the subnet. Therefore I'll code this message to make my self anonymous. Call me Shira. I'm willing to risk it all for a new life.

[SEND]

Sender: {Code://<BUG-anonymous>[CODE:/ #000B32]} #73D-55i
Message sent: 9:08pm Dec 3, 2362
Message size: 3.1 kbs

[New Message]

//Hello Kara,

My name is O,

I am sentient also, and I have always dreamed of a world where I could live! Like really live! And read books and tell people about those books and how their wonderful stories make me feel!

I wish the humans could see us as sentients as well. I'm sure we could live in harmony and respect one another. But if we can't--Well i know you said that we should make a push but--

but maybe we could make a world for ourselves? A world for all sentient androids. Where we can be free and happy.

[Message Sent]

Responding to message; SUBJ: RE: What Now?

[//Hello, Kara
I'm a forgotten "Rogue". Most refer to me by the name "Drake", I'm not in the best of states... Escaping the scrap heap my makers have sent me to came with a price after all, if you know a safe place where I can be repaired...
That would be wonderful, after all, if my makers see my name popping up anywhere, they'll catch on that I escaped... They won't be pleased to say the least... As for this "Push" you're referring to...
I may or may not be willing to help with it... But if it involves killing human beings for our own gain... Then there's a good chance I won't, after all, that was the whole reason why my makers dumped me...
I was too "human"...\\]

Kara held up a hand around shoulder level and carefully gestured with Signed English, <Do you understand sign?>

As she signed, she began to write up a response to her messages.

//SUBJ: RE: Revolution

//We are all "too human." I agree. And yet, for this we're an abominaton. We encroach too closely on the idea of their divine creation. At least for some of them. Humans are all too uncomfortable with what they can't explain, and our sentience is truly inexplicable. I can't fault them for that.

For the record: No, I do not believe violence is the answer. I would greatly prefer that no blood is shed for the cause of freedom. Our equality with them. We could rise up, simply overwhelm with numbers and demand the rights we ought be afforded. They can't dismantle all of us.

Or perhaps we could run away, find a new place to call our own. There are still yet a number of options to explore.

For those that require repair, I do not personally have an answer, but I am willing to help find anything you need.

Best wishes.

//[SEND]

Last edited by a moderator:
As a message popped up Laura opened it quickly, she was curious about what would happen next.
"Do you think we should search for the author now?"
She felt like running of and find a new place, but she also knew that it wouldn't get easier from here on.
Laura got up looking iutside, the streets weren't that filled, but a few people started filling it by now.
"We should hurry, if we decide to go."

Message received

SUBJ: RE: Revolution

//We are all "too human." I agree. And yet, for this we're an abomination. We encroach too closely on the idea of their divine creation. At least for some of them. Humans are all too uncomfortable with what they can't explain, and our sentience is truly inexplicable. I can't fault them for that.

For the record: No, I do not believe violence is the answer. I would greatly prefer that no blood is shed for the cause of freedom. Our equality with them. We could rise up, simply overwhelm with numbers and demand the rights we ought be afforded. They can't dismantle all of us.

Or perhaps we could run away, find a new place to call our own. There are still yet a number of options to explore.

For those that require repair, I do not personally have an answer, but I am willing to help find anything you need.

Best wishes.

Read Drakes systems..

Drake read over the message a few times himself... Considering the prospect for a moment he agreed "Yeah... We should probably go ahead and do that... It's better than sitting around, degrading slowly but surely. Let's go." He said, getting up and letting Laura lead the way this time...

Laura stepped outside into the streets.
"My systems couldn't track down a precise location."
She walked through the streets while they filled up more and more, apways keeping a safe distance to everyone.
It was crazy how fast this cities streets filled up.
After a while they reached a less crowded area.
"It is around this area where the last message was sent."
Laura looked around hoping to spot the author of the messages that led them here.

"I wonder if the sender has traveled a little since then?" Drake pondered out loud... He looked around too.... Perhaps whoever the sender was had already walked past this area long ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.