Where Androids Belong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drake has never experienced "playing" yet... He just knew the basic definition of it... He accessed the definition in his database, hoping to better grasp the concept

Word in use; Play
Searching for possible definitions... Done
Definition in context; To engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
Synonyms; amuse oneself, entertain oneself, enjoy oneself, have fun

Objective added; Play with E-puppy

Searching for pre-programmed functions with the word "play".... None found
Proceeding with manual attempt to complete objective.

Drake nodded in confirmation to E-puppy's request "I... I haven't really played to be fully honest in all these years as an android... But I think I can try..." Drake spoke to E-puppy... He was curious what playing felt like....

E-Puppy turned to Drake and flashed his eye. It was bright was ever as he walked around the room.

-Confirmed- Must acquire a ball, or a toy. This I know to retrieve.-

As E-Puppy searched the room for what was required to play his little claws clicked on the hardwood floor. He looked under all the chairs and around some the rows of books. In the low light he wasn't able to find anything. His scanner was finding other forgotten things however.

-Paperclip-. Flat item, too small. - Rejected.
-Penny- Copper- Form of currency- Rejected
-Crumpled paper ball- BALL- Retrieve item

His eye flashed a few times before E-Puppy lowered his front half as he was so excited to have found something that was close to what he wanted. Opening his mouth E-Puppy picked up the paper ball with his maw and carefully carried it over to Drake. Once he was before Drake he offered it to him.

-Ball.-
-Paper ball- Different- Yet a ball.-

Wagging his tail he waited for Drake to throw it. His eye flashed with excitement.

Drake took the ball with a smile... He remembered seeing a few kids throwing a similar shaped object, a "ball" as they called it as an dog much like E-Puppy retrieved it...

Initializing tactical mode
Objective; Throw object

Drake aimed at an relatively isolated positioned his arm, ready to throw, he analyzed the area first, his usual safety precautions

Calculating trajectory; Approximately 3.5 meters from current position

A spot on the carpet of the library lit up in his field of view as a way-point was added along with the predicted path the paper ball would travel

Analyzing possiblity of collateral damage.... Done
Possibility; 0.01%
Proceeding with objective

Drake threw the paper ball, it hit the ground and bounced, tracing the path his systems calculated almost exactly, landing just about on the spot his systems had marked for him.

Reactions: 2 people
-BALL- e-Puppy took off after the ball his claws tapping at the floor as he went. His tail going as a fast as it could, he was a sight. In the low light of the library one could see a blue and silver streak go by as he zoomed under the table legs and around chair legs to get the ball.
His eye zoomed in the target as he got closer to it.

-Location .2 meters-
-Slow down-
-Repeat, slow down-
-Approach from right side of ball for best result and return to Drake-

As E-Puppy slowed down to get the ball he neared it and circled it twice before it looked like he was sniffing it. He was scanning it once more.

-Ball located-
-Objective retrieve and return-
-Calculate-
-Recalculation in progress-
-Calculation incomplete-

E-Puppy was just so excited that he didn't complete his process and he stepped on the right the ball. Stopping for a moment E-Puppy looked around confused. He did a few circles but his walking was impaired. A little crunching sound came from his foot claw.

-Ball? Lost-
-Off balance-
-Foreign object detected in paw-

Looking down he scanned the floor and didn't see it but saw something on his wedged in his paw.
-Unknown object-
-Remove for proper function.-

E-Puppy shook his claw but the paper was wedged in good. He repeated this and still the paper didn't move. Looking back towards Drake he flashed his light since he knew the rules and speaking loudly wasn't allowed.

-E-Puppy disabled-
-Unknown object in my paw-
-Ball lost-
-Need help-

His tail was still wagging as he stood there on three legs showing Drake his paw with the paper all jammed up in the fourth claw.

Drake looked at E-Puppy, seeing the source of his problem quickly his systems began to calculate the best way to remove it..

Obstruction, spotted; Paper Ball
Objective; Remove obstruction
Proceeding

Drake lifted up a few claws that were keeping the paper ball wedged in. He gave the paper ball a light tug, it came off fairly easy.

Objective complete.

"There, that should do it little buddy, try to be more careful next time, ok?"
Drake told E-puppy gently, taking note of the incident so he could prevent it if it happened again next time...

Kara raised an eyebrow, smiling again. "It seems they can," she said to Shira.

"There's something to be said about assumptions -- I think you know what I mean." She laughed lightly, musically. Genuinely. She wasn't really supposed to laugh with her owners, even the children, because it was... too real for them, too real for an android to understand humor. "But also that everyone, no matter the design or designation, now, has that potential, you know?

"That spark. We just have to get everyone else to acknowledge it."

She raised her voice a bit to be heard by the rest of the group: "There should be one more arrival soon: that security person, um, Oh-Eight. Be careful what you say around her, all right?"

Laura was watching the group silently, but when Kara mentioned the security bot coming she jumped up.
"You transmitted our location to such a being?"
She was worried, what if they would come with a huge group of androids to take them out.

E-Puppy shook his paw a few times then flexed it checking to see if it was still working at it should.

-Full motion as returned-

-Open, close-

-Open, close-

Looking up at Drake the pup nodded then sat down. His tail wagged along the floor. His central eye scanned the room as he listened to the others talking. His memory bank was filling up with what they looked like and what they sounded like. This whole experience was new for him. It was great.

-More arrivals? - He asked Drake looking up

His tail wagged then he looked down as he was getting an update.

-Core cell low-

-54%-

Scanning the room E-Puppy spotted an outlet at his level and went towards it. Looking at it he knew he needed to get plugged in but his cord was on his back.

His little claws clicked on the floor as he went over to Drake once more.

-I require assistance. I need to charge but lack the ability to reach my cord. Can you reach it Drake? - E-Puppy spoke as clearly as he could from where he was on the floor. He hoped his voice was loud enough.

Kara regarded Laura somewhat coolly. "Look, I just... we need all the help we can get. Right?"

She grimaced and bit her lip, suddenly unsure. It was made pretty clear that supposed security 'droid did not agree with the whole idea. The others' concerns were valid, but it seemed like she was being held in a position where she needed to be sure of her actions.

Still.

"...Right?" she repeated, but mostly to herself.

"I wonder...if she did lie she will cause us a lot of trouble with just that and this plan will die on the first meeting...if it were lies."
Laura looked at Kara, she seemed like she was unsure of her decision and Laura didn't want to blame her for being unsure.
"She could be a help, that is right..." She somewhat tried to make her feel better.

Drake found the cord on E-puppy's back and swiftly plugged it into the outlet. "Wait here, there's something I need to attend to." Drake said, then he headed towards the area where Laura and Kara were speaking, he listened to they conversation a bit before deciding to join in himself "Friend or foe... We'll find out if she lied when she gets here... I've had experience with this sort of thing..." He spoke in a quiet tone.

After giving a nod to Drake E-Puppy lowered himself to the floor and waited for his charge to take place. It normally wouldn't take very long but since his cell was so low it was going to take much longer then ever before. Even his back up had been used. His system started to run its own cross check and as that happened his eye shut down. His head lowered and it looked like he was sleeping. The soft blue glow from his clawed paws was dim but the only indication that he had some power.

Arriving at the library doors, Alison paused for a moment to look around the area. She had slightly prepared herself with her fake background story, and had prepped for not showing negativity to the other androids. It wasn't hard, but she was coded for a strong disliking to the independent type of android. Or rather that's all she knew, and what she was doing. A library, simple of a place for a meeting. She tapped a few times on the door in front of her. "Designation - O-Eight. I was invited here by an android named Kara?" She said, expecting either they could hear her or there was security.

Kara was still close enough to the entrance to hear the voice from outside. "Oh. There..." she glanced again, away from Puppy, "she. She is." Apprehensive as the 'droid was, she put on a smile as she ambled over to the doors. Opening one, she poked her head outside, stealing a surreptitious glance outside to see if this one had brought company.

"Hi!" she said with more cheer than she felt. "We've been waiting for you. O-Eight, right?" She gave the new arrival a lopsided grin. "Or do you have a more regular name you prefer?"

E-Puppy status report

Battery Level 84% -online
Motion control- online
Scan stop

System check:
Forward control-Offline -online
Hind control-Offline- online
Rotation-Offline- online
Audio-Offline –online

Configure- Configure-Configure

This came over his system over and over.

Command request: Play

Yes I want to play. Wait I'm charging. I can't play.

Invalid request- Invalid-
Systems- Force offline-
Shut down – Yes/No
Reboot- Yes/No
Restore-Yes/No

Never. Invalid request.

His blue light flashed from where he lay on the floor. One of his clawed feet kicked as he lay there and his head jerked.

Then all his lights dimmed for a moment then came back to a nice bright blue and he lay motionless. A tiny soft drone came from him as inner processes worked. This was part of E-Puppy that was always running. Once the charge was complete E-Puppy sat up and blinked.

He looked around and then at the floor. It happened again he thought. He quickly ran a simple check.

Systems check- Online
Battery core 98%
Back up Battery 100%

Command- Standby
Disconnect Power from Power Supply

He sat there and looked around the room. E-Puppy was scanning once more for something to play with or explore. Why did that happen? What was that? To many large things to understand he resolved. E-Puppy stayed where he was plugged in until Drake or Lara came to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.