We Fight Because We're Two Halves Of The Same Whole

Katherine smiled when she saw Troy coming down the hall. She tried to hide it from the new girl, but it was rather impossible. She really just wanted him to hold her and kiss her again like yesterday, but that was probably not going to happen in school. Katherine averted her gaze.

"Well he's cute. Hey!" Eryn called out to Troy, "I'm new here. Wanna show me around? No offense, princess but you're not interesting."

Katherine's eyes grew wide. What was this girl doing? She turned her face, trying to hide the redness. School was going to be difficult if her face turned red every time she got within an arm's reach away from Troy. Eryn was seriously mean. Katherine was just trying to do something nice and Katherine knew that Troy wouldn't show her around... or at least she hoped not. This girl obviously didn't like Katherine very much at all, but there was nothing much that could be done about the situation.

"If you need anything, please let me know. It's my job to help and make the students feel welcome. If you have any questions, also ask me." Katherine said with her normal genuine smile. Then she walked off. She didn't want to be made fun of in front of Troy. Especially, if Troy's friends happened to appear and thought what Eryn said was funny.

"That girl doesn't know anything about the real world, does she? She's completely oblivious to other people's struggles I bet. I can't stand people like that..." Eryn said still trying to talk to Troy.

Troy glanced from Katherine tword the new face and was surprised by her boldness. But seeing the look on Katherine's face he looked away. Seeing as the girl was new he just blinked when she asked if he wanted to show her around and he looked at her for a moment. She had this " dont care" attitude. In some way it reminded him of how he used to be.

He could tell that Katherine was uncomfortable and being how the new girl was glaring at Katherine like she was dead meat he figured he'd just be nice. When Katherine spoke about the new girl not caring about other people's feeling he chuckled and grabbed her hand. " Look i'll take her off your hands okay? And didn't that used to be how i acted". Troy have ahalf smile.

Turning to the girl he ran his hands through his hair and then shoved his hands in his pockets. He didn't want the girl getting the wrong idea that he was single so instead he walked over and gae Katherine a quick kiss on the lips. " So your new? Hmm i'll show you around". He smiled at the girl and then headed down the hall with her.

Katherine blushed as several heads turned to stare at Katherine and then at Troy. The school's quarterback who had been trying to date Katherine since freshman year nearly burst with rage and confusion.

"The fuck?" The quarterback turned to his friends, "Jason what the hell did I just see?"
Jason actually answered the rhetorical question like an idiot, "You just saw Troy kiss Katherine, Zack."
Zack slammed Jason into the locker, "I KNOW what I saw. I didn't need you to repeat it? Ever heard of the word rhetorical?"

Zack walked over to Katherine, "You reject me for that piece of-... Wow... okay. I see what kind of guys you like. That guy can't protect you like I can, Katherine. If anything, he'll end up hurting you! And if he does, I swear on my life I will break every bone in his body or so help me God."

Katherine looked like she was going to cry, "Well you don't know everything about Troy! In fact you don't know anything! Jerk!"

Katherine rushed off to class. Teachers stared in awe, but didn't say anything. Zack hurried off after Katherine, "Katherine, wait!" They were in the same class so they would have plenty of time to talk there.

Eryn looked at Troy, "Really, you like girls like her? I can only imagine how she'd feel if something tragic happened to her. The streets would eat her up and spit her out. You can't be serious?"

Eryn had been completely uninterested in the scene that had happened. She was more interested in talking to Troy. While teachers stared at Troy. However, they had forced smiles on their faces. They were suddenly aware that if they wanted Katherine to do their work, they would have to be extremely cautious not to upset Troy or give him trouble.

Troy honestly didn't care who saw or who was watching. He knew that they wouldn't say anything directly twords his face. He hated that people couldn't accept change and had to judge everyone based on what they heard or appearances and that was one of the big reasons he hated the school. The new girl didn't even care but grilled him on why he was going out with a girl like her. " Because he knows the real me...thats why". He said looking at the girl. Just by her attitude he could tell she was just like him. it was humorus but at the same time troubling because she was blunt and didn't seem to care that he was in a relatiionship. Before a blink of an eye everyone that showed up including teachers knew about the little kissing episode and now the stares were mroe frequent. After touring Eyrn around he headed to his class noticing Zack talking to Kathernie. Being how he didn't like the guy he walked over and took a seat right next to Katherine and just gave Zack a look. " You know whats funny? You have a hard enough time getting a girl let along keeping one so know you want to take someone elses. You really downgrade yourself buddy".

"You better watch your mouth pip squeak or I'll chew you up and shit you out," Zack snapped back, "Katherine deserves much better than you! All you did before was give her trouble and make her life harder than it already is. Don't talk to me about downgrades, you're already the lowest of the low, buddy."

"Zack, stop it! You're just causing trouble," Katherine pleaded.

Zack was prepared to fight, but he relaxed his muscles after Katherine spoke, "When he hurts you Katherine, I'll be right here and you can watch the entire football team beat him to a pulp."

Eryn was skipping class at school. She was more or less eavesdropping on the entire conversation. Eryn wanted Troy and this Zack person wanted Katherine. Well it looked like if they worked together, breaking the two of them up would be no problem. Eryn walked outside to take a smoke and waited for class to be over.

The teachers were unusually nice to Troy. If he didn't have his homework, no problem, they'd wait. As long as Katherine continued to work on the gruesome projects no one wanted to do, they'd pretty much kiss his butt if he asked them too.

Troy knew that Zach was all talk and couldn't fight. All Zack ever did was get his brainless football buddies to fight his pathetic battles for him. Troy burst out laughing right in hius face. " You beat my ass? Your too funny man and yeah sure im the low one, tough talk for the asswhipe, look you want a fight we can fight after school cause i have no problem beating your ass". Troy stood from the desk and then placed his backpack on the floor. He wanted Zack to make the wrong mistake. HIs friends were sitting right in the class and all he had to do was call a few of the dropouts that hung around the school and Zack and his football team would be done.

The teachers didn't bother him nor did the principle. His birthday and the dance was one day away and he was a neausous feeling in the pit of his stomach. Troy honestly didn't want tommarow to come. When the bell rang and classes were over he placed his books in his locker and then waited for Katherine outside her class. He knew he had to go home and check on the sorry ass of a mother but he wanted to tell Katherine that he'd might drop by if his mother decided to flip out.

Katherine was surprised to see Troy standing outside of her class. It was only a half day today and she was surprised he hadn't left already. She suddenly looked a little sad.

"I can tell by your look that you aren't coming home with me today, are you?" Katherine asked him, looking at the ground. If one could see Katherine's face, they would see that she actually looked... lonely, "Well I have to help with dance... If you have time please call me... if you want..."

Katherine gave Troy her number. It was written down on paper and rather cleanly cut. Katherine then hugged him and started to walk off, the teachers were already waiting for her. For some reason, being away from Troy left a feeling of emptiness inside her. It was strange and also something she never felt before. It wasn't very pleasant either. She tried to think of something more bright like how she'd get to spend a magnificent night with Troy tomorrow. Katherine smiled at the thought... She needed to get him a birthday present. She was sure her father might be able with that because he was a guy.

Eryn searched the entire school for Zack and eventually found him. "The dance is tomorrow and you want Katherine, I want Troy. You help me, I help you," Eryn said bluntly.

Zack smiled, "You're the new girl Eryn right? If you can help me get Katherine, you can have Troy, unscathed..."

"I have a plan..." Eryn smirked and explained how tomorrow would go.

Troy sighed and then nodded. " Yeah i havent been home in two days". When Kahterine gave him her number he smiled and put it in his phone. He didn't want to leave Katherine but he knew he had too. The walk home was short but suddenly he felt like it should have been longer. As he placed the key in the door and opened it his mom was there sitting on the couch watching tv. When she turned to him it was shock, sadness and then anger. " Where have you been!?". She shouted at him. Troy sighed and then walked past her to his room.

His mom went on and on about him being careless and stupid for leaving and not comming back. And then brought up his father. Troy cringed. He hated his mother almost as much as he hated his father. Shaking his head, He had enough. Grabbing his things in his duffle bag he headed past his mom. " Ill never be like my father". Troy slammed the door on the way out ignoring his mother. Pulling out his cellphone he called Katherine hoping she would pick up.

Troy walked down the street and around the neighboorhood trying to clear his head. he had that neasous feeling like he was going to vomit. All he could picture was his father and then the accident. Shaking his head he sat down on a bench and burried his face in his hands. He was a complete wreck.

"Hello, this is Katherine Brookewelle speaking," Katherine answered her phone on the first ring. She was still at school setting up for the dance.

She was now multitasking with the streamers in one hand and her cell phone in the other. The teachers were getting out the punch and making a list that Katherine would need to follow. It was a simple shopping list as of what to get for the dance. Katherine was free to bring other choices of food if she desired. Katherine would need to buy masks and then she thought about Troy. Did Troy have something nice to wear for the dance? Of course he could always borrow one of her brother's suits.

Katherine waited for the other person on the phone to respond.

Eryn happened to be walking by when she noticed Troy around her neighborhood.
"What's up with you?" Eryn asked as she pulled out a cigarette, "You look like you could use a friend."

Zack's friend, Jason, was searching for Katherine. When he found her, he spoke, "Katherine, I saw Eryn and Troy... alone. It looked a little suspicious. Won't you come with me?"

"I'm on the phone, Jason wait a moment..."She covered the mic while she spoke, then she finished... and she waited.

Troy had completly forgot that he was on the phone. Placing his cellphone tword his ear he spoke. " Um yeah Katherine its me Troy, I got..um i got into a fight with my mom and i kinda just got my things and left..I was wondering if i could come over? If its not too late". He was hoping that she'd say yes because otherwise he have to crash at his friends house. As he was on the phone he heard a voice and he lifted up his head to see it was Eyrn.

Shaking his head he looked away breifly. " I just have alot of things going on with me right now.". Looking back at her he smiled slightly. " Have you ever felt like you were someones regret or that you wish you wernt here because youv'e heard someone say you were worthless so many times you belived it?". Troy really needed to let his past go but he didn;t know how or that he ever could. He had been through so much in his life that the scars were too deep to heal.

"Yeah, just tell me where you are and I'll pick you up. Are you okay?" Katherine asked. She was really concerned for his well being. She stopped putting up the streamers and went to the car with Jason following her.

"I know where Troy is, please just come with me." Jason begged.

"Troy, I'm on my way, Jason is telling me where you are..." Katherine said, "I'll be there in a few minutes..."

Eryn sat down next to Troy, "Only all the time. My father wishes that I could be my mother. That I could be caring, sweet, and stay out of trouble. And all the times he yelled at me for coming home late and saying I'll never amount to anything, I just stopped listening to his shit, " Eryn takes a puff from her cigarette, "I'm not my mom. I may look like her and maybe even sound like her, but that doesn't mean I'm her. I can't bring her back. I can't make my mother love my father. I'm determined to find that one person who thinks I'm worth something, who treats me like I'm the best thing that ever happened to them... And then I'll shove it in my father's face."

Eryn finished her cigarette and tossed it on the ground before stomping out the light. She looked at Troy. Right now she could just kiss him.

"He's just about a minute away from here," Jason said to Katherine. Katherine had forgotten that Eryn was also there and when they came into view, all Katherine could see was Eryn getting ready to kiss Troy.

Troy nodded he realized that Eryn was going through the same thing he was, and the only one who truly knew how he was feeling at the moment. " Yeah i know how that feels, It feels like shit". Running his hands threw his hair he couldn't wait to see Katherine and tel her what happened. He was officially threw with his low life mother. She hated him and he hated her and their was no point living with someone you couldn't even look in the eyes.

He turned his head when Eyrn dropped her cigarette and then he looked at her. She had this look in her eyes and then he realized what she was trying to do. Troy shook his head and backed away before they could kiss. He looked at her weird. " What are you doing? I have a girlfriend you know that". Troy grabbed his bag and then looked up to see Katherine's car with Zach's ass kisser Jason in the car. Gritting his teeth he walked over to the car before Katherine got the wrong idea. " We didn't kiss, its not what you think". He was staring to get fustrated and he didn't expect this to happen but he knew that it was a setup from the moment he saw a grin on Jason's face. Dropping his bags he walked over to Jason's side. " Get out the car". Troy clenched his fist pissed.

Jason smirked at Troy.

Katherine was nearly in tears. She felt like her heart had been crushed and flattened by a steamroller. She didn't look at him when she said, "Just get your bags and get in the car Troy."

Her voice was broken up and she was blinking back tears. Jason turned his attention to his cell phone. He didn't give Troy another look as he told Zack about the plan's success. Jason then looked at Katherine, "I'm sorry to ask you this, but could you..."

Katherine nodded. She knew where Jason lived. She just waited for Troy to get in the car. She kept fighting back tears because she didn't want Troy to see her cry. Katherine was still a nice person and she wasn't going to leave Troy on the street. However, there was no mistaking that Katherine was hurting on the inside. While she was waiting she got a call from Zack.

"I wouldn't lay a hand on me, you've got bigger problems. Zack's on the phone with Katherine right now and how would it look if you suddenly beat me up right now? Not good I would say... I'm sorry, but I think you've just lost Katherine. She's being nice, so get in the car, Troy before you get more problems." Jason said just loud enough for Troy to hear. The smirk on his face grew and he looked at Katherine.

"I'm fine Zack, I don't want to talk about it...Yeah that sounds nice... look I'm gonna go... I just can't talk to anyone right now..." Katherine hangs up the phone and doesn't say another word.

Troy didn't move. He couldn't belive that Katherine was actually beliving Jason. To make things worse jason was getting him even more pissed than he already was. Taking a deep breath he could see Katherines face from inside the car and he looked away. He promised he wouldn't hurt her and tecnically he didn't but still...Troy wasn't expecting this and if he tried to explain all he'd hear was Jason mouth. Looking at his grin widen he dropped his bag. He was disbelif when he opened the door and heard Katherine on the phone with Zach.

He wasn't getting in the car to look like he cheated when he didn't. He groaned in fustration and then looked over at Eyrn with a death look. Finially he spoke. " Look Katherine when you drop this asshole off we need to talk". Slowly he got into the car and then placed his hand over his face. It was just like before. She didn't even trust him enough and the fact that she picked Zach and Jason's side over his was just mindblowing.

He couldn't...He was always made to seem like the bad guy, like it was his fault for every problem. Taking out his phone he text his friend to see if it be okay to meet up at the old yard. Troy was stressed enough as it was and this was too much for him.

Katherine dropped Jason off and the drove a little ways a way and parked the car.

"I've never been in a relationship before... and I don't know what I'm doing, but as your girlfriend I'm supposed to trust you. I know what it looked like and it hurt, but I want to know what really happened. I'll take your side before anyone else's." Katherine says as she turns to look at Troy. Her eyes shined with tears that looked that they would fall, but they didn't.

Katherine didn't want to believe that Troy would do something like this. She had seen the real him... If she wanted to be with Troy, she'd have to trust him. Katherine nearly jumped to a conclusion, that probably wasn't even true. It was just the shock of what it looked like that hurt her.

Zack was at Jason's house. The two of them were in nothing short of a good mood. They assumed that their set up had worked for the better. Now there was only one more step to take and that would be to fully break the two of them up and permanently. Eryn was a little pissed that Troy hadn't responded like she thought she would. However, Eryn wouldn't hesitate to try again. There was still the dance and that could run along smoothly. She smirked as the car pulled away. Troy would be hers... or so she hoped.

When Katherine dropped off Jason he was relived. He was nothing but a follower and had nothing better to do with his own life then help along to ruin others. It wasn't long before Katherine stopped the car and spoke. He knew it was her first relationship and it was hard to belive otherwise from what she saw but they didn't kiss, Eryn's face was just close to his before he even knew what she was attempting to do.

Taking a deep breath he looked out the window of the car before getting out the car and then getting into the passenger side. " I understand but you have to trust me, do you honestly think i'd kiss her? We may have the same backqround but she isn't my type, you are. We have gone through alot nad im not gonna let some girl or some guy who had been obsessing over you come between us...I truly care about you". Leaning over he kissed her softly and slowly. He hated to see that she cried and he was the cause of it but he promised himself that'd he never make her cry again.

Before Katherine could get a response out, Troy's lips were on hers and all her doubts just seemed to drift away. She didn't know what this feeling was that was growing inside her. She couldn't say that she was hating it. In fact, it was the exact opposite. Katherine broke the kiss only because her phone rang. It was just a text message saying that they needed her help setting up for the dance.

"Troy, I'm sorry. You can come home with me, but you're going to have to keep me company while I set up for the dance okay? Speaking of which, what are you wearing? Do you need a suit?" Katherine said more to herself than to Troy.

She was back to her workaholic self as her mother put it. It was always this way with Katherine. She always thought of others, but her peers knew that she hardly ever thought of herself. No one, not one soul, had ever known Katherine to do anything for herself. Not even once.

"Since you're taller than me, you can help with the streamers." Katherine said smiling.

Troy was caught up in the kiss until Katherine pulled away because of her phone. After reading the text message Troy knew who it was already. Whenever things were going good the stupid school always had to intervene like as if they knew what was going on. " Okay, and sure ill help you set up and..a suit? Well theres my dads but..i dont want to wear that". He let out a deep breath and then looked out the window. Why did it have to be him going through all these things.

" Hey after the dance im telling those teachers that their done asking you for things and favors, their abusing their power and their only asking you to do things because they know you cant and wont say no". It honeslty bothered Troy the most. Katherine was so sweet and the teachers and staff used that againt her, but now things were going to change because they wern't going to ask for things from Katherine as long as he was around.

" Okay lets head to the school and then after that your all mines". Troy smiled and then turned his head to look back out the window.

"Well I'm sure you can find a nice suit in my brother's wardrobe, " Katherine said smiling, though the smile on her face shrunk a bit when Troy mentioned the teachers, "Troy, I'm the president of the student council. It's my job to run errands for the teachers. I knew that when I was elected. Believe me, if I wasn't president I would not be doing any of this. Besides I think YOU are all MINE after this is done. I made time for us don't worry. I even got you an early birthday present. It's nothing spectacular so don't get excited okay?"

Katherine sighed, "I feel like I'm talking too much, but do you know how a masquerade works? I'm not going to be allowed to see the suit you pick out for the dance. My dad will help you with that and Fellington too. My mom and I are going dress shopping. You can pick out a mask from Fellington's collection. He has hundreds. But I won't be allowed to see that either. Long story short, you won't know what I look like and I won't know what you look like. We won't find out who is who until the end of the dance..."

Katherine let out a deep breath. That was a lot. She then parked her car. "Okay let's finish setting up for the dance shall we?"

" Yeah i know your president of student council but still, there are other students they can ask and sometimes they just go completly over board". Troy figured that she enjoyed being the president of student council but he just kept remembering what Fellington said abaout her never having any time for herself and never doing the things that she wanted to do. Adjusting himself in the seat he placed his hands over his face for a moment but only to think of something.

" Wait so I wont know what you look like?". When Katherine mentioned the dace was a masquerade theme he knew that it was going to be hard trying to find her. But since he had good instincts he knew he'd probubally know who she was...Hopefully. " Yeah ill ask Fellington to help me out". Troy smiled and then got out the car. He gave her another long kiss before taking her hand and then heading into the school. Getting the stuff set up was work but he was thankful for his height advantage.