We Fight Because We're Two Halves Of The Same Whole

Katherine's face only expressed a minute amount of the concern she really felt. She didn't really know how to respond to Troy's response. As of late, Troy's actions had left her baffled and tongue-tied. She wondered if he really was feeling okay. However, she was about to lead them to her car, when Troy added something else. Katherine's face nearly paled at what was said and she had to double take to make certain that it was really Troy who had spoken. He sounded... broken. It was like listening to a damaged record.

Katherine herself did not fully understand Troy's difficulties. Even so, she tried her best to comprehend what he said. Katherine was like a robot in this way, only processing certain emotions at one time. Troy was expressing an emotion that Katherine had long since shut away into the dark crevices of her mind. She had almost completely forgotten about it.

"Troy, is everything okay?" Katherine asked him. She was completely sincere in asking this. She really wanted to know if Troy was okay. He had been acting strange ever since she handed him his notebook.

Katherine searched her mind for any possible reasons that Troy could suddenly be so upset. She repeated the day and she tried to remember something she hadn't necessarily paid attention to. It was until she recalled the accident that she realized a why Troy would ask such an odd question. The teachers at their school stared at him like he was nothing but dirt to be wiped off a windshield. It would explain why they were in such a hurry for him to be in a good mood and why they kept forcing her on him.

She tried her best not to shake her head and instead settled for pulling Troy into a gentle hug. Katherine had not hugged anyone for some time, so perhaps this hug was a little awkward, but the feeling was there.

Troy felt weak. He was tired of fighting, tired off trying to hard to prove himself to a man that was dead from his own hand, he was tired of everything and now that his birthday was basically one day away all his old emotions were starting to resurface. For all his birthdays he just wandered around the city watching other people be happy but he never was.

When Katherine asked him if he was okay Troy slowly shook his head. Nobody knew why he got into fist fights with students, or why he acted like he never seemed to care when he actually did. He acted like words didn't hurt him but he thought about every little thing that everyone said about him when he was home drawing inside his book.

Troy's jaw almost dropped when he felt Katherine's arms wrapped around him as she hugged him. He didn't even know what to do. The last time he was hugged was when he fought some kid and his dad hugged him for it for about two seconds. But this hug was warm, like it had feeling..like it wasn't forced. He slowly wrapped his arms around her hugging her back. He gripped her shirt tightly because he knew he was breaking. His eyes felt heavy and he closed them to fight back the stining in his eyes. He never cried so he wasn't going to start now.

Katherine tried her best not to say anything and to just let things happen as they did. Her mind was swimming with what to do now. Troy didn't want to go home for reasons she didn't know. She waited for Troy, like any good friend would do. Katherine was starting to feel that perhaps the school dance would not be so difficult. It seemed more likely that Troy would be willing to go with her at this point in time. However, this was no time for her to think about such things. She just wondered what she could do for him. Katherine supposed she could take him to her place. It wasn't as if her mother or father would mind. The house was certainly big enough. Katherine pondered over it for a moment. The idea seemed odd. Ludicrous even.

After what she deemed to be about several seconds she asked "Troy, since you don't want to go home, would you like to come to my place? I mean, it sounds bad, but if you're really not wanting to go home, I wouldn't feel right if I just down right sent you home."

The more Katherine thought about it, the better she felt about the offer. Her father was itching for another male around the house, so perhaps Troy visiting for a bit would be a good thing. However, there was the danger that Troy would see what her home was like really. Katherine may be perfect on the outside, but on the inside, it was a whole other story. Her family was dysfunctional and not most people could see that, but when you saw it, the visual never really left your mind. It was why Katherine never invited her friends there. Ever.

The hug was heart warming and then he felt alot better then he ever had in years. He didn't know where it suddenly came from but the relaxing feeling made him able to deal more. just the thought of home made Troy shudder. He hated that place more than anything else in the world. Most people would say that they couldn't wait to go hime but to him he couldn't wait to leave. He keep the house clean because he knew his mother wouldn't and he did everything ecept pay the bills..it was the only thing his mom did which surrpised him the most.

At Katherine's offer about going to her house he just stared at her not knowing if those exact words had just come out of her mouth. Nodding his head a smile formed on his lips. " Yes anything but my house". Troy practially jumped but controlled himself and then looked around the hospital. There was an old couple, some people in ther mid thirtys and then a few children.

" Okay then lets go". Walking tword the doors he headed outside and then stopped once he reached the parking lot simply because he didn't know what car she drove.

Katherine nodded and laughed to herself as she watched him rush in front of her only to stop in the parking lot, realizing he didn't know what kind of car she drove. Katherine drove a Lexus. It was not entirely a student type of car, but it was something she was proud of because she herself had paid for it. She walked out in front of Troy, leading him to her car. She clicked the doors button. Had the people next to her not parked so close she would have shown him the butterfly doors feature. However, she could show him something as such later.

Katherine kept thinking about home. She was starting to wonder what time it was and when was the last time she had eaten. She could not remember. She sighed. There was something she was forgetting. Troy's birthday was still in two days... Upon this thought for the millionth time, Katherine discovered the perfect theme for the dance. Masquerade, but with a twist. No one could say who they were. But at the same time, someone like Troy would never go to something like that. She nearly banged her head against the steering wheel. Why was her life filled with so many difficulties.

"What would you like to eat?" Katherine asked, starting the car.

Troy stood on the sidewalk and watched as some people got out of their car and headed into the hospital and then without thinking he brought his hand up to his chest and winced slightly. He honestly hated the students at his school and he couldn't wait until the day he graduated and then went on to college. To him college seemed like his ticket out of everything. His mother, the teachers, the students and even some of his friends..if you could even call them that.

He had no friends. Sure there was people that he associtated himself with and they called him their friends but to him Troy just saw them as an excuse to stay away from home and gave him a little motivation when he woke up in the morning. When Katherine walked out the hospital and then to her car he nodded in approval. The car was deffinitally nice and it was well kept. Following her he waited until she unlocked the door before climbing into the car.

After he strapped himself in he looked at Katherine and then raised an eyebrow when she almost banged her head on the wheel. " Um sure im an kinda hungry..do you eat fast food? Or do you perfer something else?". Knowing that something was bothering her he adjusted himself so that he was looking at her. " Is something bothering you?"./

"I just..." Katherine started, "Well the teachers are asking a lot of me right now..."

That was probably the understatement of the century. Katherine couldn't help but to look away when Troy looked at her. He was actually kind of cute. Then Katherine thought about her life. She didn't have time for things like this though she wished she did. Then maybe a nice boy would do nice things for her like stroke her face when she cried or kiss her when she's angry. Or hold her when she's stressed. Katherine was envious of some of the girls in her school. They had boyfriends to carry books for them. It was a reason for them to want to go to school the next day.

Katherine blew out air from her mouth causing her bangs to fly upwards on her forehead. Things were just getting... sticky. And right now she was in a rut. Right now would have been the perfect time to ask Troy about the dance, but then he'd be like, that's lame. Or maybe he'd have better things to do on his birthday. Katherine mentally slapped herself. Since when did she care about what Troy thought was lame. If he even thought that at all.

"Fast food is fine. What do you have a taste for?" Katherine finally said.

She didn't mind her weight like a lot of other girls did. Katherine worked out in her own time and was fit so she had nothing to worry about when it came to eating food.

When Katherine said that the teachers were asking alot from her he knew it was true. Ever since they started highschool all the teachers ever did was ask Katherine to do these extravagant task and place her in perdicaments that were hard to get out of, but not once did she refuse to do them and that was the one thing that confused him. She seemed so stressed out and every time the principle asked for her to do something she never refused the offer.

When she looked away it made Troy more confused almost as if she didn't want to tell him but at the same time she did. He wanted to know exactly what was going on but he didn't want to be persistant. When she didn't tell him Troy leaned back into his seat for a few moments before speaking once more. " Um well im kinda in the mood for some burgers, hadent had one of those in a looooong time". He chuckled as he remembered the last time he ate a burger.

As Troy kept quiet the fact that Katherine seemed off or stressed was getting to him and he wondered what the teachers wanted exactly. Reaching out he trurned her face so that she was looking at him. " Look i dont know what the teachers asked you but you seem like whatever it is, its really bothering you so tell me what it is".

He didn't know what came over him, whether it was the medicine that the doctors gave him or the fact that he actually cared about her scared him. He was always on his own, doing everything by himself and not caring about anything else. Just the thought of it made him question alot because as much as they fought she was just...

Katherine's face flushed with color. A guy had never touched her face in such a way before and it happened so suddenly she nearly jumped. Nearly.

"Troy, it's..." Katherine struggled for words. This time it wasn't because she didn't want to tell him, it was just how she couldn't particularly focus. Troy's gorgeous features seemed to be making any thought process difficult. If that wasn't enough he was looking straight at her.

Eventually she looked to the side, so she could get the words out. A part of her felt ashamed, but she didn't know why. It could have been the task she had been given, but then again, Katherine never really had time to worry about herself either.

"You know and I know that your birthday is coming up... And it's the same day as the dance..." Katherine started, "And the teachers want me to go with you, but... now I..." She paused and then said the next part insanely fast, "want to go with you because I think it'd be nice!"

Katherine took a deep breath almost instantly relieved to have it off her chest. That last part took it out of her and as much as Troy did everything in his power to bug her... She couldn't help but to feel... oddly... complete...

Troy blinked a few times looking at her. He had always known she was beautiful but he just was never the guy to say it, especially when they argued back and forth non stop. At times when he'd doodle on his notpan or in his notebook he would wonder why she never had a boyfirend. It amazed him. Most guys knew that she was focused on her stuidies but they stilled tryed to talk to her even the captian of the football team, but she rejected him.

His hands reluctanly moved away from her face as he watched her looked away and then slowly strugle to get the words out. When Katherine said that the teachers asked her to go to the dance with him he was about to say something when she continued and said that she actually wanted to go with him.

He really wasn't processing what she was saying and it took him a moment but then a smile formed on his lips. " I um..I'll go to the dance with you". Troy didn't realize that his chest was tight or the fact that he even was happy at the fact she wanted to go with him. He already had people ask him but he turned them down because he wasn't going to go at first.

" Can i ask why you always do what the teachers say? I mean do they have a spell on you or something". He looked out the window looking at the burger joint across the street and his stomach growled unintenionally. Troy looked at her and then his face got red. Looking away he ran his hands through his hair.

Katherine left Troy's question unanswered, but only because his stomach growled.

"Let's get something to eat, okay?" Katherine said backing her car out and driving to the Mos Burger's across the street.

Katherine had not had a burger herself in quite some time. She reached down in her purse and pulled out a twenty. "This is the Student Council President money... but I'm sure the teachers won't mind if we use this to get something to eat. Besides, I think it's time I start charging people for my services anyway..."

She was mostly talking to herself about the last part and she wouldn't have cared if Troy responded or not. She got out of the car looking around. The parking lot was mostly empty, but it was still open from what she could tell. Katherine wondered if Warren was still at work today... Warren was one of her childhood friends and much like Troy as far as background went, but the difference was that Warren had escaped all the madness. And as mean as Warren looked, he was actually an okay person when you really got to know him.

"Katherine! I was thinking you'd never come back! Who's your friend? Finally get yourself a boyfriend?" Warren teased her.

"I wish." Katherine said much too quietly for anyone to hear, "You know I don't have time."

"Well anyway, I'll serve you two up something... on the house this time." Warren said with a smile. He was only ever this nice to Katherine, but in his mind, who would ever want to be mean to her?

Troy nodded when Katherine said they were going to get something to eat. He thought about the dance, his birthday and then his father. Someone who he wanted to forget but kept creeping back into his mind when he least espected it. It wasn't late but the sky was getting dark and he looked up watching. He had always wanted to see the sunrise and the moon come out but in a blink of an eye it happened and he had missed it.

When Katherine parked the car he got out and looked around. He could see a few people sitting insde chatting and others enjoying eating their food alone. As they walked in Katherine was greeted buy a guy named Warren. At the small comment of her finially having a boyfriend he smirked. His eyes wandered on the menu before Warren said that he'd serve them something on the house.

Finding a seat for them he looked at Katherine before looking away. He didn't know why he couldn't look her in the eye like he always did before. It was just everytime he looked at her he wanted to say things that he shouldn't say and then again do things that he shouldn't do. Not technically but it would shock the both of them. It wasn't long before Warren came to the table with the food and just the smell made his stomach growl again.

He was in burger heaven. it had been years and he knew that it would be his new found addiction of food cravings. A smile of satisfaction formed on his face before looking at Katherine. " So your parents wont mind me spending the night?". Troy's hand went to his chest and he looked down at his half eaten burger.

"I don't think they'd mind it much. In any case, they'd think I was helping someone out. Seeing as they think I don't have time for a boyfriend... which they're right about, my parents wished I brought people home..." Katherine shut her mouth. She was rambling about meaningless things again.

Warren had brought her a small burger and she had finished it. Warren had given Troy on the other hand, one of the biggest burgers on the menu. Katherine couldn't help but to smile a little at the recollection of it all. She looked up at the clock... It was still early, but she had completed a few of her assigned tasks, but she would need to return to the school first thing tomorrow morning so she could report the news and set up for the school dance. Katherine almost laughed at herself. Here she was eating out with a guy and all she could think about was what had to be done. There had to be much better things for her to think about.

Katherine tried to ignore Troy's gesture to his chest. She wondered if his wound hurt more than he was letting on, but she wouldn't prod. She had learned not to do that, but then again, she didn't have time to play twenty one questions either. On top of which, she had to think about how her parents would react to her bringing a guy home. They'd probably rejoice and have a drink because it meant that Katherine wasn't a lesbian. Katherine was sure that was what they were thinking right about now. She smiled at that too. Oh her parents.

Katherine then remembered that her own birthday was coming up... She had almost forgotten, but it was only one week from Troy's. Though she would probably be spending her birthday doing things for the teachers... like she did every year...

The burger was enormous but he managed to eat the whole thing filling up the hunger that he had. He wiped his mouth and then moved his right hand from his chest. It wasn't that it hurt super bad but it was an aggravating feeling. He thought about what would happen if he went home. Would his mom even care that he was in the hospital? he doubted it since she never gave a damn about anthing that had to do with him.

Troy took their trays and dumped the paper wrappings and placed the tray ontop. He was kinda looking into meeting Katherine's parents since he figured they'd be ten times better than his own. When he sat back down at the table he smiled when Katherine talked. And when she stoped he leaned back in the chair. " So tommarow..um.. er i mean what are you doing tommarow after school?".

It was weird that he brought up the question but he was curious and he honeslty wanted too hang out with her. Troy thanked Warren and then walked out tword the parking lot and leaned on the car door. It was dark out and the nightly chill was comming about. He shuddered slightly and then watched Katherine as she walked to the car.

"Tomorrow is a half day of school because it's the day before the dance..." Katherine mused, "I suppose I will be free for a few hours after school, but then I have to decorate the gym for the dance on Saturday. The teachers will get mad if I don't do that."

Katherine walked to her car and thanked Warren on the way out. She then unlocked her car doors and slid in the driver's seat and started the car. Her parents would probably be a little energetic today as tomorrow was football night. While the dance went on, her parents would be watching the football game with friends of their own. Everyone seemed like they were going to have fun on Saturday. She really hoped that Troy would have fun. On top of which, she still hadn't decided on a good present for him. She sighed and decided that she would ask him when they go to her home. The car was warm and Katherine had noticed Troy's shiver.

"It's a bit of a drive, did you want a blanket?" Katherine asked.

Her house was about thirty minutes away, so if Troy wanted to sleep a little he could...

Troy got comfortable when he slid into the car and leaned against his seat. Looking out the window he watched the people walk down the street and then the tree, and houses. Being in the car felt a whole lot better than being outside and his body was beginning to warm up. Leaning his hand against the door he shook his head.

" No thanks". When Katherine said that it was half a day he had almost forgot. The dance was two days away and so was his birthday. Slowly he closed his eyes. He was sleepy and the warmth of the car wasn't really helping. He placed his hands inside his pocket and then relaxed his body frifting off to sleep.

The drive seemed to have been short compared to what it really was becuase before he knew it he was there parked right infort of katherine's house. Troy rubbed his eyes and then looked at the house feeling nervous. He wondered if her parents would like him. Getting out the car he closed the door behind him and then walked over to Katherine. " So this is your place". He smiled slightly before taking her hand and heading up the steps.

Katherine's house was nothing short of a grandeur structure. The doors had to be at least fourteen feet tall and there were golden gates (painted) blocking the way inside. However, Katherine had a key, so entering wasn't so difficult. There were windows that let one steal a glance at the glass fountain sitting in the center of the entire place. There were twisted stairs that coiled around a water fountain. It was all so richly built and it more or less gave away the fact that Katherine was swimming in money. However, no one except a select few at the school knew that.

Katherine blushed when Troy took her hand. It was the first time a guy had even touched her in such a way. Today, there had been a lot of first and she was almost doubting that it would stop here, almost. She opened the door to her house and her mom was standing in the living room with freshly furnished couches of black and white. The 84 inch flat screen was plastered on the wall above Katherine's pageant and ballet trophies. No one knew that Katherine did ballet, but most knew that she entered beauty pageants because her mother forced her. There were also Katherine's academic awards that covered the majority of the wall. Her father was standing next to her as she received Valedictorian for the first time in another picture.

The butler, Fellington, was waiting to greet Katherine. His eyes widened in surprise as he saw the boy she had brought home, hand in hand.
"Don't tell me you've finally got yourself a boyfriend. Your parents will be so happy!" Fellington said ecstatically.

Katherine sighed having to defend herself yet again, "He's not my boyfriend Fellinton, he's just a friend I'm helping out. He'll be staying the night, so get a room ready for him please..."

Fellington simply nodded and walked away to do as Katherine asked.

"I guess I'll show you around. What do you want to see the first? There's a jacuzzi and a pool in the back... Or did you want to see the arcade room, perhaps the movie theater?" Katherine asked, not really knowing what to say.

Troy could hardley speak. His bright mood was simply shot down by ten yards. He haden't expected her house to be a mansion like. It was huge and something he only dreamed of living in. The gates and the windows to the door everything was absolutally stunning and he couldn't get his head wrapped around the fact that indeed this place was Katherine's home.

When they walked in he only then realized when a man stated that she finially had a boyfriend like Warren did at the fast food place. At first he thought that it was his dad but to find out that it was her butler. There were bunches of trophies that were on the wall and had Katherine's name on them. Suddenly he felt like he was out of place. He never been to a huge house with flat screens.

Katherine asked if he wanted to check out the arcade or jacuzzi or the movie theater. Troy just blinked and tried to get coped. " Um we can go where ever it doesent matter i just didn't think your house was......this". He uncomfortably shifted his body. it wasn't that he didn't want to be there because he did. it was just that he keep thinking about what his house looked like. Small, two bedroom, one bathroom, and a small tv. He gently squeezed Katherine's hand and keep looking around the room hoping her parents would like him

Katherine looked Troy and noticed that his smile had shrank a little. "A lot of people don't know about me and I would like to keep it that way so please don't tell anyone okay? You don't have any clothes for tomorrow... I will take you to my brother's wardrobe. He's in college now and his wardrobe is full of clothes he never wore."

Katherine led Troy up the twisted stare case and showed Troy to the wardrobe. The wardrobe itself was probably about as large as a master bedroom and clothes with tags on them seemed to be following off the hangers and walls. The price tags ranged from just a couple dollars to a few hundred dollars. Troy was allowed to take what he wanted for tomorrow seeing as Katherine's brother did not miss these clothes at all and was planning on selling them anyway. She waited for Troy to say something. She was getting the feeling that he didn't want to be here and she sighed. Maybe he didn't like her house... or maybe he just didn't like her.

Katherine heard her mom rummaging around in the kitchen. She had obvioiusly heard that Troy was here from Fellington and was probably cooking something for them to eat. There were personal chefs for that, but then again the chefs were probably helping her. Katherine walked into the wardrobe first. It smelled like her brother. He was the cleanest person she knew although her brother claimed that Katherine was even cleaner than him. Which was really saying something. Katherine really missed her brother, but she didn't blame him for wanting to leave either.

"So..." Katherine started, "Do you see anything you like?"

Troy nodded and looked at his hands before placing them back in his pants pockets. He followed Kathrine up the stairs that seemed to go on for about forever and into a bedroom that was a large as the living room. The bed was huge, the wondows, and the closet was just the same, huge and he wondered what one person could do with so many clothes.

There were tags on most of them and he looked at the prices. Some were expensive and then others weren't that much but was still alot of money to him. When she asked him if he saw anything that he liked he looked through the clothes and then pulled out a polo cardigan sweater and some jeans. Placing them on the bed he turned to her.

" Dont worry i wouldn't tell anyone but lets do something you want to do". Troy walked over to Katherine before taking her hand and walking out the room. " Hey show me around this giant place, im surprised you dont get lost". He smiled and then looked up at one of the family pictures hanging up on the wall. " You look so happy there and cute". He laughed before pointing tword the picture.