War of the Roses (Medieval Alternate History RP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kythera

Original poster
a79qYaF.jpg

The year is 1455. England just lost the Hundred Years' War to France, causing King Henry VI to suffer a nervous breakdown. Discontented nobles were already gathering their forces to challenge the weak king's rule when Henry was struck down suddenly and inexplicably. Poison was suspected, but no one dared point fingers in the atmosphere of suspicion and uncertainty that descended on the court. With only two daughters left behind, a civil war seemed all but certain. The Queen fled to her native France, but her daughter and stepdaughter refused to follow her. The elder staunchly held her ground and claimed the throne, with a few family members and loyal lords lining up behind her. Her sister remained ensconced in her own house at Rochester Castle, neither supporting nor openly opposing her sister, but secretly plotting her eventual downfall. The Duke of York put in his own claim for the throne, based on his nearer relation to Edward III, and a variety of powerful families, mistrusting a female ruler, joined him.

Will the young Queen successfully hold the country together? Will her half-sister succeed in her schemes? Or will the Duke of York overthrow them both and steal the throne for himself? The rest is up to you…

This is an alternate history RP about power, rebellion, espionage, assassination, and pretty much any other kind of plotting and intrigue you can come up with! We diverge from history prior to the premise, and from there we can take it anywhere we want. Let's try to stay accurate to clothing, speech, gender roles (though we'll be a little flexible about this to get a gender balance), technology, titles and estates, etc. of the time, though. You can make your own characters or use historical figures, whichever you prefer. There are 3 set "main" characters, one of which I will play, and then the rest of the followers of each camp or neutrals you can all fill out as you like. Double agents, mixed loyalties, and people who change their loyalties throughout the RP are all welcome. Don't just stick to lords and ladies – we need soldiers, spies, musicians, fools, guards, servants, etc. I also need some people who are willing to get their characters killed (cause, ya know, reality :P) - but I promise to only kill off those who mark that they are okay with it! And obviously in the end only one of the 3 mains will be left standing, so whoever plays those roles must also be willing to do a dramatic death scene at some point (probably quite late in the RP).

Co-GM = @Shayla

Sign-ups and OOC now up!
War of the Roses [OOC chat]
OPEN SIGNUPS - War of the Roses [Sign-Ups]

The New Queen – @Kythera

The Sister@Shayla [note: will also control the sister's mother NPC via letters]

The Duke of York – Justin The Mad Prince

Neutrals

Guard - @Andy
Lady in waiting (spying for the Sister) - @Thingtastic
Knight/advisor - @AceSorcerer

Guard - @Andy
Fool - @RedWillow

Mistress/lady-in-waiting - @Pasiphae
Guard - @Stryder
Archbishop of Westminster - @AceSorcerer

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Shayla
Sure I'll get in on this :)

• Love
Reactions: Kythera
I'll look this over tomorrow but I usually join any rp that someone tags me since I usually find it fun. I have never turned down one rp that I have been tagged in since never know if it's going to be a good rp and I want to be in the good rps XD so checking out tomorrow when I get home from work^^

I'm told it's like Reign, if that helps :P I wouldn't know, cause I'm a pop-culture troglodyte... :boxedin:

I'm told it's like Reign, if that helps :P I wouldn't know, cause I'm a pop-culture troglodyte... :boxedin:
Lmao :D It is indeed much like Reign , Power struggles , plot , greed , lust , forbidden wants. You name it we have it! ;)

I'm definitely game!

• Love
Ummm hell yeah now I want to join xD can I take Duke of York is still open? I know he might die but what's the fun if you don't live a little XD

• Love
I will so be doing forbidden love whilst being wicked :D

• Love
Reactions: Kythera and Justin
i was thinking of being some kind of guard for either the new queen or the sister :) whichever one wants me :P

• Love
Reactions: Shayla
I would like to be either a military commander or adviser for one of the faction leaders. If naught else, a clergyman.

Ummm hell yeah now I want to join xD can I take Duke of York is still open? I know he might die but what's the fun if you don't live a little XD
You got him!

i was thinking of being some kind of guard for either the new queen or the sister :) whichever one wants me :P
Whichever you prefer, we'd both love to have ya :)

I would like to be either a military commander or adviser for one of the faction leaders. If naught else, a clergyman.
You're welcome to do 2 chars if you want. I was thinking the queen should have a confessor who later betrays her, if you're interested in that :D

• Thank You
Reactions: Justin
Whichever you prefer, we'd both love to have ya :)
oh oh! I could do two characters! Both have one as a guard :) maybe brothers?...idk about the last part but definitely I can do two characters :)

oh oh! I could do two characters! Both have one as a guard :) maybe brothers?...idk about the last part but definitely I can do two characters :)
Perfect :D

Perfect :D
yay!! :D I like perfection!! I've already got ideas in my head that could make this interesting! I've got a big thing for..hidden love and stuff like that. So like I've already got ideas in my head that the guard for the queen could be in love with her and the guard for the sister can be in love with her, or the guard for the queen can be in love with the sister and the guard of the sister in love with the queen XD agh!

• Bucket of Rainbows
yay!! :D I like perfection!! I've already got ideas in my head that could make this interesting! I've got a big thing for..hidden love and stuff like that. So like I've already got ideas in my head that the guard for the queen could be in love with her and the guard for the sister can be in love with her, or the guard for the queen can be in love with the sister and the guard of the sister in love with the queen XD agh!
Love it all :D Exactly what we're going for! Let the chaos unfold muahahaha!

The queen is totally gonna be having an affair with someone, FYI. Just have to figure out who... :D

Also, by the way, the queen and sister are both initially unmarried. Arranging marriages for them will be one of the queen's first projects.

• Love
Reactions: Andy
Love it all :D Exactly what we're going for! Let the chaos unfold muahahaha!

The queen is totally gonna be having an affair with someone, FYI. Just have to figure out who... :D

Also, by the way, the queen and sister are both initially unmarried. Arranging marriages for them will be one of the queen's first projects.
this will be so much fun XD

I'll have my main character be the military individual/adviser and the clergyman, likely either a bishop or archbishop, will be a major NPC/secondary character. The clergyman will likely be a neutral factor who will hold the peace whenever leaders gather or during other major occasions. The adviser will likely be a young officer who is either in the service of House York or the Queen. An outlier, given his birth will be from peasantry. He may have a knighthood, but no true titles outside of position. Leaves room for political growth and makes him a potential asset to be seized by his opponents. The clergyman, lest I forget, will be kill-able.

Last edited:
I'll have my main character be the military individual/adviser and the clergyman, likely either a bishop or archbishop, will be a major NPC/secondary character. The clergyman will likely be a neutral factor who will hold the peace whenever leaders gather or during other major occasions. The adviser will likely be a young officer who is either in the service of House York or the Queen. An outlier, given his birth will be from peasantry. He may have a knighthood, but no true titles outside of position. Leaves room for political growth and makes him a potential asset to be seized by his opponents. The clergyman, lest I forget, will be kill-able.
Sounds good! Which side do you want them to be on (or neutral)?

Status
Not open for further replies.