Visions of the Storm [4/5 spots]

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 people
It's great seeing this thread so active. Keeps my hopes high that this RP will keep moving smoothly ahead. :cheerful: I'm eager to post again too, but I tend to agree with @Spectre on giving the others a little leeway with the holidays so close. Once things do pick up though, it's going to be a lot of fun, I can tell. And special thanks to @Jorick for the collab link. That is very handy indeed. =D

My YaoGuai are actually not of the fallout variety as a heads up. I guess they could be monsterous bears, but they're generally animal spirits. So craycray looking mutant fantasy critters.
Heh, I didn't think they were. I'm actually glad they aren't! I love the idea of all different types of crazy demonic animals trying to maul our characters to death instead of just giant bears. Some mutated, giant cat would be pretty bad ass. (And no, not the chimera, those don't count XP). I was thinking more along the lines of a tiger or even some version of a sabre tooth, that was freaky looking as hell, super fast, and expert stealth. That'd be a fun challenge. =D

Reactions: MotherOfCthulhu
Actually that was great. I'll definitely read that explanation post, as well.

also

Some mutated, giant cat would be pretty bad ass. (And no, not the chimera, those don't count XP). I was thinking more along the lines of a tiger or even some version of a sabre tooth, that was freaky looking as hell, super fast, and expert stealth. That'd be a fun challenge. =D
Pls get out of my head.

:P

So- since I plan on making this a difficult journey- I'm having a hard time considering consequences. I mentioned in the Rules tab that death may be a reality for your characters if a mis-step is taken. However, I want to try to avoid killing you guys if i can- i'm wondering what kind of reward/punishment options you would be okay with seeing? I will not pull punches, but at the same time, I want everyone's characters- both experienced and inexperienced- to get the most out of this.

In Elin's case I'd like to see her have the opportunity to 'save the day'. She's not a fighter, she's the only woman, she's a commoner. So for her to save the day would give her an IC massive confidence boost, not to mention look epic.
I'd like to avoid the usual damsel in distress trope but I can see it happening, all I ask is she gets to 'megara' it up a little if she does before the guys rescue her.
I expect she will end up with a lot of scars on her body, due to the aforementioned facts of not being a fighter.
Some pretty/shiny/special knives might help her out too if she earns them.

And obviously ultimate cosmic power but you know.....

Actually that was great. I'll definitely read that explanation post, as well.

also

Pls get out of my head.

:P
Bahaha, never! =P

So- since I plan on making this a difficult journey- I'm having a hard time considering consequences. I mentioned in the Rules tab that death may be a reality for your characters if a mis-step is taken. However, I want to try to avoid killing you guys if i can- i'm wondering what kind of reward/punishment options you would be okay with seeing? I will not pull punches, but at the same time, I want everyone's characters- both experienced and inexperienced- to get the most out of this.
That is a really good question, and one I don't feel equipped to answer. *laughs* I do think the possibility of dying is both good and bad. Good because it shows the seriousness of the story, raises the stakes, and keeps us on our toes. But at the same time, you do run that risk of somebody getting killed off before things have really begun. I'm not quite sure how to go about balancing this. Discussing potential death scenes beforehand OOC is one possibility, but that runs the risk of spoiling the suspense. That's definitely a tough decision. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this too. :)

As for rewards, I kind of like what @MotherOfCthulhu said. Each of our characters have specific goals in mind, so accomplishing those would be a reward in and of itself. Maybe the characters (assuming they survive) would receive special items from the fulfillment of these personal goals too? Take "slaying a dragon" for instance. If successful, the dragon could have been guarding something, like a weapon, or it could have something rare on it that's worth a certain amount of coin (or whatever the currency in Ajora is) or that can be forged into a weapon or armor in one of the countries they visit. Since everyone has a different goal, achieving these would give everyone their own unique item. And in cases where they all have to work together to defeat some crazy evil thing that's not on anyone's goal list (such as Ifrit), there could be a reward that they all receive for killing it. You mentioned the possibility of the characters getting some sort of very limited magical abilities, so if you decided to still do that, those could be a reward too. Just throwing stuff out there and seeing what sticks. XD

In Elin's case I'd like to see her have the opportunity to 'save the day'. She's not a fighter, she's the only woman, she's a commoner. So for her to save the day would give her an IC massive confidence boost, not to mention look epic.
I'd like to avoid the usual damsel in distress trope but I can see it happening, all I ask is she gets to 'megara' it up a little if she does before the guys rescue her.
I expect she will end up with a lot of scars on her body, due to the aforementioned facts of not being a fighter.
Some pretty/shiny/special knives might help her out too if she earns them.

And obviously ultimate cosmic power but you know.....

Ultimate power.... Check.... Haha

Bahaha, never! =P

That is a really good question, and one I don't feel equipped to answer. *laughs* I do think the possibility of dying is both good and bad. Good because it shows the seriousness of the story, raises the stakes, and keeps us on our toes. But at the same time, you do run that risk of somebody getting killed off before things have really begun. I'm not quite sure how to go about balancing this. Discussing potential death scenes beforehand OOC is one possibility, but that runs the risk of spoiling the suspense. That's definitely a tough decision. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this too. :)

As for rewards, I kind of like what @MotherOfCthulhu said. Each of our characters have specific goals in mind, so accomplishing those would be a reward in and of itself. Maybe the characters (assuming they survive) would receive special items from the fulfillment of these personal goals too? Take "slaying a dragon" for instance. If successful, the dragon could have been guarding something, like a weapon, or it could have something rare on it that's worth a certain amount of coin (or whatever the currency in Ajora is) or that can be forged into a weapon or armor in one of the countries they visit. Since everyone has a different goal, achieving these would give everyone their own unique item. And in cases where they all have to work together to defeat some crazy evil thing that's not on anyone's goal list (such as Ifrit), there could be a reward that they all receive for killing it. You mentioned the possibility of the characters getting some sort of very limited magical abilities, so if you decided to still do that, those could be a reward too. Just throwing stuff out there and seeing what sticks. XD

Yeah. Just surfing to see if there has been other things you've seen and liked. I was thinking about doing a reward system based on interesting interaction with npcs and stuff during combat. So that dragon mentioned previously, if you decide to think outside the box and try to remove scales, or something, I may decide to have a blacksmith in a nearby castle be able to do something neat with them. Or as greedy dragons rend to be- make off with the loot... Oh the planning wheels are a-spinnin! Also important people, if asked the proper questions, might be able to give items or helping knowledge...

speaking of npcs... I myself will always have an npc travelling with the group, but plan to keep them there- whoever it may be at whatever time- as people for reference, guidance, or a helping sword. A guest to the party that is there for story stuff.

Reactions: MotherOfCthulhu
@MotherOfCthulu I'm totally down for a colab, though. Now that I know what it is, lol.

@Spectre This is sound very much like D&D but actually a lot better because I can really RP things out instead of fumbling around like an idiot ahahaha. And it feels WAY less awkward. I adore D&D but taking it seriously makes me cringe so much. It can get sooooo awkward.

When you think about it- any fantasy based roleplay can be compared to d&d, hehe.

But Yeh it can get weird if not everyone is on the same page. Some people get into the rp aspect, others combat, others the conversation. When I've played tabletop its with close friends. We never got super RP with it. So convos with npcs was just like: "I want to ask about x,y,z" or '"tell him about whatever". We never really spoke as our characters, kinda deal. But hijinks always happened, there was also some awesome more serious stuff, too.

Sometimes I wish I could find the time to play with a super serious group. Other times in happy as a clam i don't :p.

@CaptainFaux brilliant :) depending on when Spectre wants to get a post up we could do one prior his next post? Or wait until after the meeting/during when things get interesting.

Actually I kind of want to stick to one post per round. I'll be moving the thread forward on Monday. I've prolonged this an extra week to find the extra members. Now that were back to full capacity, things will resume on Monday. And hopefully every Monday after that.

Actually I kind of want to stick to one post per round. I'll be moving the thread forward on Monday. I've prolonged this an extra week to find the extra members. Now that were back to full capacity, things will resume on Monday. And hopefully every Monday after that.
Well, what she means is that we would combine our post to do exactly that. That way we have the conversations we would normally have but within the posting order you'd like. Its a win-win.

Oh she mentioned doing a post prior my next post. Which would be an extra post. I may have misread, I'm on my phone and all. Not the most friendly functionality here :p

Oh she mentioned doing a post prior my next post. Which would be an extra post. I may have misread, I'm on my phone and all. Not the most friendly functionality here :p
Lol I do the same. And then I guess it was me who didnt follow. She did indeed say that

I had meant work on the collab before the next post not posting it up before monday.
Sorry that it wasn't clear.

:frosty: Happy Holidays, fellow adventurers! Looking forward to the next progression post and slaying some orcs and all manner of other beasts with you guys. ;)

Haha thanks! Happy Holidays to you, and everyone else here!

Happy Holidays everyone! :)
Look forward to saying that to you all next year too :P

Status
Not open for further replies.