UPDATE DAY FEBRUARY 28TH: REVERTING THE ROLEPLAY SYSTEM, SITE UPDATES & BUG FIXES

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making sure I understood all this.
Should I go right now and backup all my PM RPS? <3
No content on iwaku will be affected by this update. It will only change the style of the forum threads.

Reactions: QueenObscure
Perfect timing! Walking Dead and John Oliver come back on that day! Nothing to distract me from my favorite rat-face!

You guys are awesomeeee <3
At least, for listening to everyone.
I personally like this layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few questions:

1) You said we won't lose the info in our other tabs, but we might have to "pretty up the code". Does this mean that we might lose things like links? The cast list for one of my RP's has links to everyone's CS's -- which I fear would be very difficult to manually hunt down in the massive OOC thread -- and I just want to know whether I can trust that they won't be lost, or if I should bookmark all those links ahead of time.

2) Will we be keeping the "roleplay search" forum? With interest checks, RP advertising, and the "seeking invites" forum? The "seeking invites" section I really liked -- as it definitely seemed like the most straight-forward and effective method of RP advertising. I'm not sure if switching back to the "old system" affects something like this or not, but, I'm really hoping we can hang onto that section, since it pretty much always ensured an easy way of recruiting players.

No content on iwaku will be affected by this update. It will only change the style of the forum threads.

I think this applies to the forums as well. Though I wouldn't mind a reorganization, I doubt any already established threads would be effected.

Honestly though, as for the content inside the tabs I'm backing it all up in raw BBCode. Just in case :) Not that I don't trust the staff or anything, but the only down side is having to reorganize all the information in an already established roleplay thread in one post. Might as well figure out an appealing way to go about it now ^.^

I have a few questions:

2) Will we be keeping the "roleplay search" forum? With interest checks, RP advertising, and the "seeking invites" forum? The "seeking invites" section I really liked -- as it definitely seemed like the most straight-forward and effective method of RP advertising. I'm not sure if switching back to the "old system" affects something like this or not, but, I'm really hoping we can hang onto that section, since it pretty much always ensured an easy way of recruiting players.
All those forums existed before the update, they have just been re-arranged. Seeking invites was one with some section before (don't remember which), it's just that very few actually used it in that section. If it disappears it will just go back to being one with another section.

Though considering these sections has nothing to do with changing the roleplay system, I doubt it will be changed at all. Maybe the one x one partner search goes back to being in the one x one section again, but other than that, I doubt anything will change.

• Useful
Reactions: Kagayours
All those forums existed before the update, they have just been re-arranged. Seeking invites was one with some section before (don't remember which), it's just that very few actually used it in that section. If it disappears it will just go back to being one with another section.
Oh, ok. I don't recall seeing it before the new system was implemented, hence why I thought they might be sort of a package deal.

Oh, ok. I don't recall seeing it before the new system was implemented, hence why I thought they might be sort of a package deal.
Well, I checked with the web archive from how the site looked during March, and advertisement and interest check was together with all the roleplay sections. In the advertisement section it said this:
YOU ARE VIEWING THE ROLEPLAY ADVERTISEMENTS SECTION!
This forum is for advertising roleplays hosted on Iwaku or post an add that you are seeking roleplay invites.

People are just very bad at reading the section description at the top of the page x9

web archive iwaku March

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Well, I checked with the web archive from how the site looked during March, and advertisement and interest check was together with all the roleplay sections. In the advertisement section it said this:
YOU ARE VIEWING THE ROLEPLAY ADVERTISEMENTS SECTION!
This forum is for advertising roleplays hosted on Iwaku or post an add that you are seeking roleplay invites.

People are just very bad at reading the section description at the top of the page x9

web archive iwaku March
o3o Oh, that makes sense. Still, I hope it maintains its own section -- it's harder for me as a GM to really make much use of it if no one is posting "seeking invite" threads there in the first place. XD

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed. It took a while to figure out the new system, but I've really enjoyed it so far - it just felt so organized and neat to me. You say that none of our content will be lost - where will it go? If we no longer have the tabs (the overview, rules, and cast list) then are you just going to be moving all the content from all the tabs into the first post of the RP thread? Or was there some other "old system" that happened between this one and the one we had when I left that I'm not aware of? I'm just checking, since I have a LOT of content in my tabs, lol.

• Love
Reactions: Raja
I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed. It took a while to figure out the new system, but I've really enjoyed it so far - it just felt so organized and neat to me. You say that none of our content will be lost - where will it go? If we no longer have the tabs (the overview, rules, and cast list) then are you just going to be moving all the content from all the tabs into the first post of the RP thread? Or was there some other "old system" that happened between this one and the one we had when I left that I'm not aware of? I'm just checking, since I have a LOT of content in my tabs, lol.
Agreed... It wasn't really all that tricky a system to get to grips with. If you wanted to edit your rules, you edited the text in the 'Rules' area... I don't see why so many people are struggling. In actual fact I felt that, whilst it was slightly trickier for GMs, it made the whole experience much more streamlined for audiences/players. Everything had its place, and if the GM did their job, then everything was in its place!

The problem is with GMs, not the system...

• Love
Reactions: PrincessLala95
If you blame the GMs for a flashy system that had more than a few kinks due to not being completely thought out and an over complicated interface that made the mod's jobs difficult, then you haven't been paying attention to why the admins and the majority of the community feels it's removal is necessary o.o

• Love
Reactions: Brovo and Kagayours
The problem is with GMs, not the system...
As a GM with a rather large and regular player following and extremely popular user guides? No. It wasn't that the system was too complicated for GM's, it was how terribly it conveyed information. Just look at the main page listing of any roleplay genre/section and it is impossible to discern what is full and what is empty, what is new and what is old, or even when the last time anyone posted in it is. It forces you to browse role plays one by one, by one, by one, to figure out their mere activity level and status.

All so we can get a system where the first post of the thread is divorced into a halfway functional overview that forces people to open multiple tabs in their browser/phone, or constantly reload different pages just to see the cast list, or the first post.

It adds little and takes away too much. It punishes content creators who don't want to spam the update button--especially in 1x1 sections. I dare you to look at the 1x1 section and tell me from a glance on the main page, without opening any role plays, to figure out which ones are full and which ones are empty.

You could at least guess before based on activity level. Now? Nothing.

The real kicker is that the [tabs] code is more functional than these preset tabs. You don't have to reload the web page just to switch to another tab, you can have as many tabs as you want, you can rename your tabs, you can position them anywhere you like, et cetera.

So, no. It's not the GM's. They're fine. It's they system. When both GM's and moderators agree that the system is trash compared to what came before, that generally means it is. :ferret:[/tabs]

It adds little and takes away too much. It punishes content creators who don't want to spam the update button--especially in 1x1 sections. I dare you to look at the 1x1 section and tell me from a glance on the main page, without opening any role plays, to figure out which ones are full and which ones are empty.

Pretty much 99% of all one x one roleplays are pre-planned and aren't searching for partners. It isn't like the group section where there are sign-up threads and you want to get more players. Most people already have their player once they post the first IC post. The few that are searching for partners should have the prefix "first response" and considering how few those are, there really isn't that hard to look through all of them to see if you can join the roleplay or not.

For the one x one section this system is mainly unnecessary because we don't need all those tabs since there only are two players and rules are talked about during the planning and characters are usually posted in the first post. The partner searching threads are put outside of the one x one section and outside of the new system, and jump ins are easily found by just clicking on the prefix on the first jump in on the list. Sure, you can't see if anyone has posted in it yet, but there are only 17 in existence at this very moment, some of those 17 are libertine/teen roleplays, so no non-staffer can see all of those 17. It's not that much of a trouble opening those with a genre you enjoy to see if you can still join and if it's an idea you like since there are so few of them.

There is literally no reason for most people to spam in the one x one section as 97% of all roleplays have a partner before the roleplay has even begun. (And yes, I actually counted the percentage this time) As for the other 3%, their roleplays would fast loose the first page on the old system because of the activity of everyone else, and they couldn't bump their threads in that system as we don't allow OOC comments in IC threads. (The only way to get around that would be to make lots of IC posts until someone jumped in, but that would just make it seem full if someone looked at the post count and didn't open the thread because of it.) They still can't bump their threads since the update feature don't work for them since they don't need it.

Really, the one x one section is not formed well for jump in roleplays to begin with as that's not what the majority of people are searching for there. With only 3% of all threads being jump in, it goes extremely fast to look them all up to see if there is anything for you to join. There is also clues to show you if it's taken or not. 3 months old? If no one posted in it, it would be archived. Probably taken. 1 month or younger? You might have a chance there.

TL;DR
97% of all roleplays in the 1x1 section was taken before they were even created as most are pre-planned with a partner. Jump in 1x1s can be easily found by clicking on the prefix for it, but the one x one section has never been kind to jump in roleplays. Because of the activity in certain one x one sections, they have always been pushed to the back and rarely gotten much attention. This is not a problem made by the new system. If anything the new system made them easier to find because we got a prefix for them now.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
What exactly were people's complaints with the system?

Because from what I personally found the only issue I ever ran across was the whole "Finding/Joining the RP" process, because of all the bumping messes and what not.

But once one actually got into the RP itself?
Then I found it was just a flat out improvement, with organizing and information storing being so much easier.

----------------------

Also, on V-Day! Really? ;A;

You're leaving all these poor single people to suffer being single by themselves, not even having the site? ;A;
Awaits everyone to swarm Teamspeak and be all "Singles Day" shit.

You're leaving all these poor single people to suffer being single by themselves, not even having the site? ;A;
V-Day is Armoured Core day for me, so... I guess I'm fine...

Everyone else'll probably be on Cards Against Humanity or Skype.. or both.

Or the chat room as usual.

What exactly were people's complaints with the system?

Because from what I personally found the only issue I ever ran across was the whole "Finding/Joining the RP" process, because of all the bumping messes and what not.

But once one actually got into the RP itself?
Then I found it was just a flat out improvement, with organizing and information storing being so much easier.
I'll go ahead and list off complaints I saw both in the roleplay system feedback thread that was made in the Help Desk area and that people told me directly via Skype and PM.

The system adds useless bloat and information segregation areas to one on one roleplays and many (perhaps most) group roleplays. Only a portion of group roleplays actually made use of the system in ways that were more extensive than just using the [tab] code or spoilers in the first post of the OOC. Given that this means it's useless bloat for a majority of roleplays, it's kind of awkward. Also, all it really has over using BBCode for organization is that for GMs it's a tiny bit easier than using spoiler code and a little more simple than using tab codes, but for players it isn't effectively much different than having tabs/spoilers that fulfill the functions of a cast list and rules area somewhere in the first OOC post.

It didn't even do the main thing that a thread-linking tab system is good for: putting all the related threads in quick and easy access from one another by way of a push of one button from any page of any other thread. You can go from any page of the auto-created thread for a group roleplay to the Overview or the Cast List or whatever, but you can't get to the IC. The IC is a mostly separate entity. To get from OOC to IC without bookmarks or signature links or whatnot you have to pop over to the Overview or w/e tab, then hit another button on the right (or down below after scrolling past stuff on a small screen) to open it up; to get from IC to OOC without any linking not enabled by the system you have to go to the roleplays section and just find the damned thing. We already had an in-site bookmarks feature that could get you from anywhere to one of your bookmarked threads in two button presses, which equals the efficiency of OOC to IC navigation in this roleplay system and absolutely trounces the IC to OOC navigation it provides, so using it instead of bookmarks was a net loss for ease of navigation.

The system confused newcomer GMs a lot. It was not at all intuitive for a roleplay creator to figure out how to make a roleplay and then link other threads to it. We had to put up a big notice that showed up at the top of the roleplay areas to explain how it works, and even with that AND a guide I wrote to explain it as plainly as possible, people were still confused a lot of the time and had issues.

This system is kind of shit for people on mobile devices with data plans, because instead of popping open an in-post tab or spoiler to see the cast list you've got to load a new page entirely.

The fact that the roleplay system sorts roleplay listings by creation/update day makes it not just a pain in the ass to find and join an RP, but also to keep the section clean by finding and archiving dead roleplays.

Using this system killed our intuitive content tag system where we had prefixes for subgenres and such in each genre section, exacerbating the problem of trying to find an RP you want.

Interest checks and partner searches got the shaft big time by going from being subforums attached to each roleplay genre to being big pools where all interest checks for groups and all partner searches for one on ones were thrown into big pools. This combined with the lack of a good content tagging system meant that finding a roleplay from that angle was also a pain in the ass.

So, in summary: it made things obtuse where before they were intuitive, ease of navigation (a key selling point to a thread-linking system) was worse than what we already had in place, it was a threefold problem for finding and joining new roleplays, and the only thing it actually added was bloat that is at best a little cleaner than things we already had in place. As Diana put it in the announcement: "the issues and bad problems completely out-weighed all the good stuff."

Ok, with all that considered I can see why such a change is needed.

Having read all that, I'm thinking I also just happened to miss all of the issues because of the following:

1) I gave up 1x1 RP's a long time ago, sticking solely to Group RPs.

2) I outright avoided Iwaku (and the majority of sites) on Mobile like the plague since even before the update.
Nothing against Iwaku there, I just really, REALLY hate using forum sites in general on the go. Especially the amount of Alerts I tend to get.

3) Every RP I'm in at the moment I was invited to, so a direct invite to the RP likely had me skip the whole "I need to find an RP" process entirely.
Granted I did try to find other ones at one point, but that basically went like this...

*Goes to see what RP's are available*
*See's a ton of fat text boxes and gear Icons*
*Closes page and goes back to shit posting*

Status
Not open for further replies.