Traversing the Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athwyn laughed outright and the feeling of it in her throat felt good. She shook her head and looped her arm through Danny's, not much caring that she pulled him down a little and actually snickering inwardly at the fact. If he wasn't so tall! "Oh, my poor famished elf. You know, I think you are right." She poked him in the ribs, gently. "You are mostly skin and bones now, aren't you? Such a shame. We shall have to fix that. And I accept your deal. I will rest and then you will teach me so that I have no choice but to fall into bed of exhaustion."

His words were not lost on her, nor his reaction to her request, but while Wyn knew he was worried about her, she also knew that there was nothing he could truly do to help her with her own demons. At least she didn't think there was. She still wanted to learn to fight because this world had already shown her that it wasn't going to be kind to her just because she would be gentle with it. It was harsh and cold and unforgiving in most aspects and she wanted to be able to better handle that. She didn't like the feeling of being helpless anymore. As for his distress....Wyn figured the easiest way to reassure him that she was going to be fine was actually doing things that made her feel better, made them both laugh.

It was better to move on when you couldn't change the past.

Her feet started to take them into the town where delicious smells already started wafting past their noses. Wyn looked up at Danny then with a giggle already on her lips. "We should probably feed you first or we'll never get anything done." she teased.

Rubbing his ribs as she poked at him, teasing his frame in jovial sport he let out a rumble of a chuckle in fellow response. In honest truth he cared little that she was teasing him, it was far better to see her grin and play rather than being sullen and reserved. If little things such as this could make a difference, then he'd happily agree to them.

He wasn't sure why honestly, but he felt well... as if he needed to show Wyn that he himself wasn't a threat. Was that because of his nature or was it because she seen something he struggled with? Whichever it was the purpose of a result showed that he didn't want to be seen as a potential threat. Too many beings already filled that position.

Following her lead as she toted him forward, curious eyes flipping back and forth looking and consuming all that he could see, he seemed divided in attention when he caught the wafting smells of bliss upon the air. Okay, she was right. They'd never get anything done if he didn't implore his already reawakening appetite. Digging around into the small satchel at his side, he had received a fair pay from helping on the ship. Something he didn't think was needed, but he had been able to earn more than his fair share of theses metal coins the top siders used. It helped when he showed the captain the piece of raw emerald he had brought to the surface. He never would have thought such a bland item below would be worth so much up here. The captain nearly was drooling from the sight and made a good offer of twenty some gold coins with a bit of silver.

He still had another piece of emerald and he was almost certain he could raise their luck with bartering that off as well. Emerald was so useless to gremlins, but he was more pleased now that he had brought it. He merely liked the shine and colour to it honestly.

An audible growl and he rubbed his neck with embarrassment. "I'll do my best not to embarrass ourselves here," he smirked a little hesitantly but it was honest. "Where does the little Wyn like to try first?"

Wyn chuckled at the look upon his face and looked around at his question, thoughtful until she let go of his arm and closed her eyes. "Hmm....let's see..." She spun around three times and pointed as she stopped and opened her eyes back up, seeing that her finger was pointed directly at Danny himself. A laugh burst out of her as her cheeks tinged red and green eyes sparkled. "Well, that didn't work very well!"

The human randomly pointed in another direction toward a smell that was strong in the air. Something with meat. Wyn shrugged, glancing back at the gremlin elf. "Good a place as any." She started toward the restaurant and it didn't take long before they were seated at a rough hewn table, looking down at a strange dish neither of them had ever tried.....with breads and fruits and vegetables and a soup on the side. Wyn knew she wouldn't eat all of it, but she also knew it wouldn't go to waste with the companion she had sitting across from her.

Green eyes glanced up into violet-yellow and Athwyn smiled before she looked back at the food and took a bite. She chewed slowly, thoughtfully and then nodded, not saying another word, just eating again as hunger awakened in her middle. Danny was right; they'd not had a decent meal since getting on the ship and Wyn had stopped eating most of it. Her body now told her that it didn't appreciate that and was very grateful for the food now.

A brow rose. "Good?"

Following her lead after pointing at him in a failed attempt to find something, he seemed rather keen and fully interested in what was transpiring. It was different which was good and it only seemed to be getting more as they continued.

Looking at her carefully, then sideways to look out towards other patrons hoping more not to make a scene with himself- he clued in why gremlins didn't care what they devoured, they were used to it. Still it was best not to make a total glutton out of himself. Though what he thought and what he wanted to do were two different things. Sighing inwardly more to himself than openly, he kept an eye to Wyn before he would attempt to eat in a proper manner. Such a thing did well to remind him really how honestly feral his breeding was, and what sort of grain he went against.

He wasn't so keen on the fruit at the moment, prodding it at first with more of a disgust before accidently shooting across the table to bounce off into the distance. Raising his ears and dropping his shoulders trying not to look so obvious that he did that, he quickly shoved a piece of the saucy meat dish into his palette, well that was stupid. Honestly he had been doing well enough to not be a total monster with the meal but he had proven that his appetite was back and healthy as ever.

Tapping the fork to the side of the plate considering her under his brow, he grinned softly. "Very, though in honest truth," he again made a distasteful prod to a piece of mango, which was odd at times. He was an omnivore more often than naught, but some days vegetables and fruits didn't sit well with him. "Today proves to be a good day to be what you top siders consider fruits." Vegetables weren't so bad this day, just the sweetness of the nectar was about as tasteful as dirt.

A pass of the waiter looking to each of them, asking how it was though he was certainly surprised to see how much of the meal was honestly devoured, he looked off to his side playing it off as nothing. Rubbing his brow feeling a bit of a lingering head ache return, he smirked it quickly off. "I still think you could teach them a few tricks in the arts of cuisine, Wyn." a grin he leaned back a bit considering all around before reigning in another plate.

A thought bubbled on his mind, he knew that it was going to pop up eventually but trying to explain that to Wyn might be a little difficult when he had to explain that he needed half a day to disappear from sight. He had provoked... no that damn siren provoked that side too easily which only meant he would have to figure out a way to run its course without worry. "What do you think Wyn?"

She did a valiant effort of reigning in her snort when the fruit bounced and Wyn ducked her head behind her white hair so she would start laughing outright. She knew she felt nervous and therefore was compensating with humor, but she wasn't quite sure what was causing the jitters in the first place. At least she didn't have any idea until she started to really watch Danny. They weren't speaking, so she didn't have much else to do and it became obvious to her in only a short time that there was something very off about the gremlin elf. She had never known him to be overly restrained or stingy with what he ate and it concerned her now.

When he spoke she nodded absentmindedly, a slight frown on her face as she looked down at the food and then back up at him, head tilting when he spoke once more. Her green eyes lingered over his face and the lines around his eyes, something she'd only ever seen him get when he was in pain - usually headaches which is what she was betting on now - and the way his words and actions seemed strained. She might have only known him for about two months now on the ship, but that was enough to start picking up on cues.

Now the human set her fork down, pushed her own food away and folded her arms as she leaned back, giving the elf a narrow-eyed look that wasn't so much hostile as it was serious. "I think you need to tell me what's wrong." she stated bluntly and then put a hand up in a stop motion before he could speak. "I know you've got your secrets and I'm not going to ask about them, but there is obviously something eating away at you and I don't think sitting here with me and pretending you're fine is going to help. So tell me what's wrong or tell me what you need, but stop distressing yourself by trying to be normal for my sake."

She was young. Not stupid.

Surprise overtook his gaze, widening at the stern tone if the young pretty human uncertain at first to what she was saying. It took a moment before he completely understood what she was saying.

Lifting a hand while setting the fork neatly aside, his palm covered his mouth -an action not common to her yet, but it was usually a sign that he was nervous.

"Do believe me Wyn, when I am not trying to fake myself to be normal for your sake, but rather my own." violet eyes softened drastically looking to his side at her muttering behind his hand, "I do think I can accurately explained myself in such an open space without either making a scene or embarrassing myself." he didn't want to talk about it in public, "But I will explain as much as I can when we purchase the rooms." his word was firm and absolute, "other than that, just have a bit of a headache. It'll leave with some dilution."

Athwyn's gaze softened at his words and she nodded, unfolding her arms and reaching out to touch his arm with her fingertips, comforting. "I understand." she intoned quietly before withdrawing and picking up a piece of fruit. The rest of the meal passed in silence and it was only when they left that the human smiled up at him and took his hand in her own. Their fingers didn't lace - that was far too intimate - but she did squeeze his palm gently and pulled him further into town. "Come on. What do we need now? I'm afraid I'm not much use in knowing what we might need."

It was truthful and it gave them something to talk about when all she really wanted was to know what was wrong with him and how she might help. And she really wanted to help, but Wyn wasn't even sure she could do that. So better not to press the topic. Right.

The woman blew upward, white hair flying about with the breath and she looked around with a distracted frown. She had actually lost all interest in shopping around, worry buzzing at the back of her mind for the elf at her side, but Wyn knew she wasn't allowed to ask anything more yet and so she made herself focus on things around her instead. Once again it seemed rather too easy to push her heart away in lieu of listening to her mind and the human was unsure if she should be uneasy about that or not.

"Will we need different kinds of clothes?" She'd brought none with her when she'd come with him and though Athwyn wouldn't complain about it, she would have loved another outfit than the simple shirt and pants she had now.

Leaving the place his mind was filled with complex thoughts, more so how he could explain really what was occuring and not seeming like he was out of flipping mind. It was easier with other gremlins in this situation, it was normal and didn't need to be explained.

This was a whole new avenue for him to venture down and one that he wanted to be careful about.

He nodded to her as she spoke though he seemed a little lost until she mentioned needing other sort's of attire. Blinking quickly pulling his full focus back, he gave her a look over before scrunching up his nose. "That wouldn't be such a bad idea, at least a second pair for yourself so that you aren't being forced to dress in one solid thing all the time." a genuine smile touched his lips, his arms crossing up and over his chest pondering carefully, "Let's see, I am not so used to what a top sider may need to travel with, but if it is anything like beneath the soil," his began to count off on his fingers, "Bed roll, blankets, flint and steel, uh..... food clearly. Mostly dried and salted would be best, water skins." he scratched his head before looking at her again though he was studying her more than usual.

"Hmm..." came out as he paused a second to reach down into the back of his boot to retrieve the hidden blade there, twisting it nimbly around his fingers before extending the hilt to that of her. "Self defense is good with hand to hand combat which I will still teach but, tell me if this weight is too little or too much for yourself. I specialize more in stealth than offensive weapons, so possibly getting you a small knife to keep concealed on yourself wouldn't be such a bad thing either. " he tilted his head, "I wouldn't say a sword, it takes a lot of strength of your back and shoulders to wield one around expertly and even that takes many years to master. A short sword or a dagger is light and effective just making a point clear that will defend yourself. Again, I'll teach you how to wield it or even possibly investing in a lancet for you may be better," he was getting chatty again, "You are fair more nimble on your feet than I, so that might be a good option."

It was as if he read her mind and Athwyn smiled as Danny did and she nodded to each and every one of his suggestions, frowning just slightly in thought when he was done. She didn't quite notice him looking at her intently as she was looking down and twirling a strand of white hair around her finger. "I think getting some healing supplies would be good, too. We might need them if we plan to have anymore adventures." It was only half-kidding and she tilted her head to look at him as he went on. The dagger handed to her surprised Wyn but she took it and looked the blade over as Danny continued to speak - and she rather liked that he was. He'd been much too quiet in the last few days and she'd liked his chatter, she always had....even if she still thought him odd in a fond way.

She weighed the blade in her palm and switched it from hand to hand to figure out which one she liked better and finally Athwyn shrugged a little. "It feels fine. Maybe a bit small, but it will work. I agree; I don't want a sword and I am not sure I would ever feel comfortable even with a short sword, but I believe I might be adaptable to the dagger...or multiple ones." The thought made her smile widen and brought a slight skip to her step.

The human knew that logically she should probably be more wary about weapons and what they meant after killing the vampire, but she found that while she didn't actually like the thought of killing...she did enjoy the thought of fighting. Maybe there was a way to do both.... Fight without killing? Well, time would tell.

Green eyes looked up into violet-yellow as she handed the blade back. "I don't have anywhere to put it yet." she reminded as they stopped before a store that might have some of the things they wanted.

The shopping didn't take too tediously long, nor was it anything short in retrospect either. His attention tended to change from thing to thing, becoming very curious on some items he had never seen and other times he was absolutely absorbed in what they found. Everything had something to learn and he was still that hungry sponge for it.

It helped that Wyn didn't seem to care that he was easily distracted. Many things he had to focus more to her, trying to describe best what he thought. Though he had to remind himself he was not an expert on anything surface wise but it wasn't as if Wyn had much of an idea either. Being cooped up held against her will by that monster, made it an almost equal playing ground. At least until they came to the healing herbs she suggested, he was a natural healer but he didn't turn down the idea of the herbs. Especially after seeing how she used the substance to weaken the vampire. He would trust her judgment whole hearted on said remedies.

Finding a decent in with an actual wooden floor seemed difficult but eventually they found one, and one that didn't seem too rowdy with drunks or locals. It worked in their favour.

Obtaining the two rooms adjoined by a door - thankful for that just in case something else ever decided to pop up and cause a commotion, he was close- he set down the newly purchased leather deer hide pack for Wyn on the floor before the bed for her. Stretching his muscles he nodded with affirmation. "Aye now," his gaze shifted back across the broadness of his shoulder looking to the petite snowy haired female, "If I recall appropriately, it would be time for a pretty lass to seek the comfort and relaxation a fine establishment offers."

Athwyn rolled her eyes, but the smile hadn't left and she followed him out the door and down the stairs to the tavern the inn held. They'd had a good time together shopping, but Athwyn was much more interested in staying in one place and observing everything around her for a long period of time instead of flitting from thing to thing. She had loved Nymaya so much because she'd grown comfortable there and yet had discovered new things about it all the time. It was a good balance. The same thing had happened with the ship. Now, though, she was more in Danny's element; observing, moving on to a new thing and then starting the cycle all over again. It wasn't a bad thing, but the human relaxed far easier when she felt she had a stable standing as well as new stimuli.

The atmosphere they entered into was good for that. Music graced their ears, a lively tune and the place was warm, glowing with firelight and the smell of both food and alcohol. Laughter, low conversation, loud conversation and some drunken people singing along to the music were all things that became clear to Wyn upon stepping into the tavern.

Her wide green eyes flickered everywhere, absorbing, studying and she sank into a seat without really even seeing the table or seat themselves. A smile, both amused and fond pulled at her lips, faint but there. She was used to settings like this. Oh, a bit more refined, but the vampire had liked to meet his associates in such places and Wyn had often gone along much as a good wine would accompany such a meeting. Now, she didn't want to think about that part, but she had to admit that she'd grown rather agreeable to such places.

The white-haired woman looked back at the gremlin elf and she gave him a look and a smile that was both soft and grateful. "Fine. So you were right; I did need to relax."

The place was welcoming at least, and the music seemed more lively than he might have originally thought, a smug grin touched his face rather readily. "I've been known to be right a time or two," he sat down lacing his arms across the table to cross as he dropped his chin onto his grasp to rest, "It is quite amusing to watch you though, out there," a half lazily wave of a hand, "I dare say you have a child like wonder, no better than my own." a tease gentle and easy, "But it may be a wise investment for you to bath as well. I do doubt we will be able to find such places like this in ample amounts when we start heading south looking for the swamps. I do not know if ladies up here are much like the ones in Naverir, but I assume you are not so keen on being dirty and grubby for long periods of time, no?"

Wyn blushed so deeply she felt like she could feel the heat in her very bones and she looked away, feeling suddenly self-conscious. She was now very keenly realizing how dirty she must actually look and a glance upward told her that she had more dirt in her hair than she ever had in her life. Her fingernails were grimy and she didn't even want to think about her feet...or the smell. It wasn't all that noticeable on a ship when EVERYONE smelled that way, but here...

The human wrinkled her nose and sighed, refusing for the moment to meet Danny's eyes as she tried for distraction. "I will bathe before the night is out, yes." was all she offered before curiosity got the better of her and she dared a glance at the elf, the blush fading as her mind shifted to another topic, though, she would NOT be forgetting that bath tonight. "What do you know of swamps? I know you lived underground, but surely you have some idea of where we are going? I know you at least know how to get there."

Before he could answer, a barmaid came over, asking if they wanted anything and Athwyn calmly ordered some wine, more than used to the beverage. She'd been drinking since she was fourteen.

His mouth worked to open lifting his chin a little from its perch only finding a woman had sidled up close looking for them to order before retiring back to the purchased rooms; he hummed a little as Wyn ordered liquor.

He'd never been keen on the stuff, certainly tried it. Been probably accurately drunk maybe three times he could remember and it always left him with more of a headache than he ever felt on a normal given day. The stuff was trouble and with how bad he could be a glutton, it was best not to tempt his luck. Realizing the woman was looking at him, he stretched his mouth into an awww noise before simply requesting water. He might have ordered fruit juice if he wasn't being picky right now.

Nodding firmly, swinging her posture away as he dared a quick glancing look to scout her out a little more freely than he usually would, his gaze filtered back to Wyn and her prior question. "I know there wet and mushy with many large animals in it. The water is dangerous but if we keep to the trails scouted through, it is not difficult." he mussed a hand through his hair, he was planning on scrubbing down when he could as well. He might have been literally raised in the dirt, he was still not a fan of being grub ball. "I know where we are going, or at least the general direction." shoulders straightened taking on their broad spectrum, "Looking for the ancient ruins of Glorin, past the swamp. There we are to be looking for an unusual landmark left by the gods themselves. Something called the forked statue. I have no idea what that means but it's suppose like a huge arcane crystal. I won't go too much into detail cause you never know what sort of ears are listening, but I'll tell more as we go."

Wyn watched Danny check out the barmaid with a raised brow, but didn't comment and brought her attention back the elf as he answered her queries. She tried to picture such places and things, but found it difficult without any references. All she was used to was the desert and now the sea. The idea of a place that was 'mushy' and 'wet' nearly baffled her and she nodded, but didn't think she truly understood. Though, a crystal she could picture rather well and the woman rested her chin in her hand, continuing to watch Danny but not really taking in his strong features or brown hair. Rather she was trying hard to image what such a statue could look like and eventually had to give up with a sigh.

Her wine came to her then and Athwyn took it with a small smile, taking a sip and then another before she sat the cup down, not intending on consuming a great deal of the liquor. Green eyes came back into focus. "You know, I never actually thought I'd leave Nymaya. I always thought about it, tried to imagine what the world was like, but..." She shook her head and ran a finger around the rim of her cup slowly. "It's so much more than I could have ever expected and I still haven't seen hardly any of it."

Wyn looked away again, scanning those around them, keeping alert. "When I was younger, I used to dream about running away but I was always too scared to." Her gaze came back to him once more. "I don't know what I would have done had you not ran into me. I think I shall always remember it as the best headache of my life."

Thanking the bar maid for bringing them what they had order, him sitting back up straight following Wyn's finger move around the rim of the glass, before watching her look away towards the tavern's crowd and being more puzzled by her sudden gentle and nostalgic words.

He dared to comment only to stop when those big green eyes came back to look at him, he puckered his brow thoughtfully, "Everything happens for a reason, at least is what I heard from passing lips," he gestured outwards, "I think you would have managed to change your own path with or without me being near Wyn, you're more capable than you might believe you are." a rub of a finger to his brow, "Two months traveling already and I can clearly see your resilience. I doubt highly you would have accepted your life as it was, even you might dispute me. You've got too much fire for life in your blood." it was a compliment, earnest and true. "You'll still do greater things and life will become less of a headache too."

Wyn chuckled. "I meant a literal headache, mister elf. You have quite the hard....everything and the ground wasn't much kinder." she teased, but smiled at him and nodded, looking back down at her wine. "Thank you, for your faith in me, but I do think I would have been far more likely to end up in the vampire's bed for more than just my blood if you hadn't come along." So saying, she took another drink - a bit longer one - of the wine and then tucked her hair behind her ear, trying not to think of his death and her part in it because that just made her feel sick, and she really didn't want to feel that way right now.

Seeking distraction, Wyn found very little in that regard and she sighed, looking back at Danny and smiling sheepishly. "I think I backed myself up into a conversation corner. Do you mind if we take a walk or you can start teaching me? I don't much think I'm going to relax any further than this until I sleep." A brow rose. "Unless of course you have a reason for wanting to be down here?"

Green eyes glanced to the barmaid he'd been eyeing earlier, but she didn't say anything toward that subject. It was his business, not hers.

"I suppose I could start teaching you some things," he was thinking it over carefully, methodically before nodding in firm resolution. It wouldn't be a bad thing to do and if she was feeling uncomfortable then it would be best just to move past this conversation and start into more active things. Moving around and putting her thoughts into something more direct was nothing short of being reasonable.

Though her final statement had him laughing rather nervously knowing exactly what she was getting at. He knew he hadn't been all that sly about it, but he didn't think she'd make a comment towards it. Not at it of course but towards it. "I'd much rather prefer to avoid that subject like a razor's edge." his gaze opened slowly, quite foolishly trying to gauge her for a time before pushing himself up from the table. "I will put the stuff away into the rooms and then we can go off and see what sort of apt learner you really are, little Wyn."

Downing the water quickly, he turned about face just to vacate that moment quickly to put the gear away. He'd have to be a little more respective to his wondering gaze in the presence of Wyn, his own inhibitions would have to wait for more serene times when he didn't need to worry about offend the young human and that he could explore other venues. He knew better than to act in such a way in a ladies company, be her a mere conversation or a friend like Wyn was. If he hadn't been quite embarrassed to his own ploys, he'd apologize for it. But he wasn't so sure it was a good idea right now.

Wyn looked after him with raised brows and a snort before she stood from the table and left a copper coin for the wine, Danny having given her a few of them earlier. She left the tavern then and breathed in deeply the twilight air, noting that it was far colder here than it had ever been in Nymaya. She started to walk around the inn, being sure to run her hands along the brick wall so that Danny could follow her scent, something she was now very well aware he could do.

The thought of making it a game made her smile, but she figured it would only be fair to warn him about that first lest he fear something had happened to her. She would want it to be challenging and fun, not worrying or scary.

The woman came to the small field behind the inn, where the barn for mounts was located, and she found the stone wall that separated the inn's property from the steep slope down to the sea below, hopping up onto the stone. Her form balanced with the same ease she'd obtained on the ship - though, finding her land legs once they'd come back ashore had made her feel like a wee child trying to learn to walk; she was glad that was over - and Wyn walked a few steps before she started to bend over backward until her hands touched the stone, her back arched and then she brought her head and shoulders closer to her legs before lifting those completely and sending them straight to the sky.

She stayed that way for a long minute, completely steady on her heads before she let her legs lower back down to where they'd been, walked her hands away from her feet and by core strength alone lifted her body back up to a standing position, a smile on her lips.

At first he wondered if he had actually irritated the fair human lass when she was no where in sight, the strong fresh scent caught his curious searching senses first. That was a hard one to explain as well to Wyn, how an elf apparently could smell far better than most would, she took it far easier than he thought. Then again he really dumbed it down to the underground not being as well lit and a sense of smell was important. Which it was, but he could be a great downfall at times.

He could still remember the one day one of the female passengers on the Annamarie decided to try on one of her new perfumes. It didn't help he was already ill from the vessel bobbing on the water, it managed to send him back to the cabin and bury his face into the pillow for hours. He still barely remembered the disorienting day, his vision blurred and his gut twisted with the potential of being sick.

Tracing her scent here and there until eventually catching sight of the limber lithe woman in the distance proving more of her nimble skills, he grinned a little privately to himself. And this girl wanted to be a fighter, she was more skilled to be a dancer or an street acrobat. Her nature proved that as well, fighting didn't seem like it should be implored to the wide eyed brilliant girl. But she had asked and he was not about to say no.

Putting his fingers to his lips letting out a shrill whistle to catch her attention rather just managing to sneak up and scare her possibly; he shuffled off his jacket as he came closer tossing it to the ground, he smirked a little deeper, a little more natural and a little more primal. "You still want to learn how to combat little poppet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.