Traversing the Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would he come looking? It was her greatest fear...but she didn't know. That was the crux of the matter. She had no idea what the vampire would do, how valuable she might be to him or how far his influence went. She'd never needed to know before and now she regretted not knowing. "I don't know." she offered up weakly, but he seemed to understand and the woman smiled a bit shyly as she took his hand, listening to his words and feeling strangely protected and....wanted. It was a feeling she'd never experienced, but it filled Athwyn with a soft warmth and she smiled back at him, green eyes wide and mirthful once more as he messed up her hair once more.

She was never going to have smooth-brushed hair again, was she? Somehow she didn't mind all that much. Not when he spoke of her being welcome and good company. How could she mind when he was being so sweet? It made Ashwyn feel better about her choice already, secure in it and that was a good feeling.

A puzzled expression came over her face when his words about the God's Gate registered, though, brows coming together in thought as they started to walk, her smaller frame following his larger, lanky one as he knew where they were going and she did not. "Why would someone want me? What do I have to do with the God's Gate? I don't know where it is." Now she was completely confused and while Athwyn was tentatively looking around as if she expected for someone to stop her at any moment from leaving with Danny, she was also paying far more attention to him and his answer.

Keeping her safe from the vampire she understood - even if she didn't understand why he was helping her at all - but why would he have to keep her safe from people looking for the God's Gate? Was that why she'd been taken by those people?

Catching the look upon her face that how it registered into one of confusion and perplexed nature, a hand reached up to pinch his brow trying to find the best way to iterate what had really transpired. And in a way that didn't make it seem like he was trying to do the same thing, cause that was hardly on his mind.

Pointing a finger square to her, he shrugged somewhat, "It has nothing to do with you knowing or not knowing where the God's Gate is, but what you are to it. This world is flooded by mythics making the human race almost nothing but a fairytale one would tell their wee ones, humans are a rare sight to see. And what adds to this whole god's gate is the fact that even if someone manages to find it, it will not be opened by even my own hands." he squeezed both of his shut and pop a few times, "Humans were the ones who sealed Tharulin into the God's Gate and it is only a human who can open it." a frown pressed faintly to his chipper demeanour. "I do believe those three attempted to take you against your will because they wanted to force you to open it if they managed to find it." A finger upwards, "But it is not just as simple as having a human say open a front door, no there is much more behind it. A human has to be willing on their own terms to release the sealing ward upon the gate, they cannot be forced or bribed into it. I personally think that the gate itself has some sort of spell on it that can sense the truth intentions of one's heart or much rather a human's heart to see whether or not they seek to open and let the world flood with peace and tranquility or not."

Tucking his idle hands into his pockets, Danny nodded a little, "I don't want anyone else to try and steal you away to force you into doing such a thing, cause it will not work. I did not ask you come along with me either because of that matter, it is not your responsibility nor should it be. I merely want to find the God's Gate and see if I can bring it back to the Council State. Then they can see if a human mortal will open it. That is not what I signed up for, and I would not ask you to do that either, please understand that." those violet eyes glinted in a bright light, "What would I gain if I was trying to trick you into something that was not part of your own will. You have choices Wyn and I would not try to impart my own thoughts or actions onto you." finally a smile touched his lips again, "That's not what friends do."

Athwyn's brows had risen into her hairline at his explanation and her green eyes were wide, but not scared or accusing or angry. Just thoughtful and she smiled back at him at hearing they were friends. No, she didn't think him using her at all. Somehow she knew he wouldn't do that. Now, she wasn't an expert on all things Danny, not by a long-shot, but she already knew him to be honorable, honest and caring. That wouldn't fit in with him tricking her to get what he wanted. He'd made it more than clear she was to go and do what she wanted with her life and had been willing to take her back to a place he didn't approve of. That didn't sound manipulative to her in the least.

"I know you wouldn't. I am not worried about such a thing." she assured him before running her fingers back through her hair and then twirling a strand in hard thought. A human. All this because she was human? She hadn't given her race that much thought before, but now that she did, Athwyn quickly realized she never actually met another human. Ever. She wondered... "Do you think humans are so rare because we are being driven to extinction purposely? If we are as rare as you say and yet were as populated as legends say, then something had to have tipped the balance dramatically. And if we are the ones who can release Tharulin, perhaps someone doesn't want us to and is trying to make sure we can not."

She had no idea if what she spoke had any kind of truth in it or if she was just over-analyzing, but it seemed plausible. Green eyes glanced up into unique ones quite seriously. "Either way, I want to help. If we find it first, then we can help people where others may not."

Suddenly this quest felt like it was hers, too, and it was an oddly exhilarating feeling. Athwyn liked it.

Letting out a heavy sigh riddled with relief as she didn't think he was out to use her either, Danny gave her a wink before she had asked about human's being so rare and such. It was a thought and one he had thought about many times. "I don't know, but I have a feeling that your species slow way to extinction is more than a natural occurrence. But without any sort of proof or actual starter speculation, saying that to someone else could either upset them or land myself into a prison I may never get out of." Arms opened widely, "There are so many almost too many wonders about why humans are rare, why they are the only key to the gate and such and so forth, yes? It makes your brain hurt if you dwell on it too long, or at least it makes mine hurt."

A casual unprompted rub to his brow, he exchanged his gaze with her gentle eyes. "I think with your help Wyn, we may just have the good fortune of luck on our sides and we'll be the ones who bring back a balance to the world that it desperately needs." a flick of a finger to her chin giving it a tip up, he motioned with the slow cuff of his head towards the south. "I am glad you want to help Wyn, as much as I am excited for this adventure, I must admit..." he shrugged returning his hands into his pockets, "I didn't have much more of an idea what I was going to do if I found it other than bring it back here. I could do that but you know... this is could and will be dangerous." he puffed out his chest letting a feral glint take to his gaze that was rare, "But in the end I won't let anyone harm you. Right?" a short nod, "Right."

Wyn smiled at his touch to her chin, but her gaze grew slightly narrowed and studying at the feral look within his own. Well, that was something she'd never seen before...it made her feel excited, though, and his words made her chuckle as she turned on her heel and walked backward, looking up at Danny with dancing green eyes. "Right. And perhaps you can teach me how to better protect myself. I have no wish to be baggage on this trip. I want to help and be useful and that means I must learn. I've been idle for far too long." This time it was her head that nodded in decision, gaze resolute again before she spun once more, white hair spreading out from her head briefly before settling again.

She looked south then where he'd indicated and then back up at the tall elf. "Where are we going first? Are we walking there? Sailing? How long will it take."

Now that she'd made her choice and was finally acting on it, Wyn practically radiated with energy and Danny would find that she could talk just as much as he could if she put her mind to it. Though, she'd never eat as much as him. And that fact would always amuse her. Still, she had decided this on a whim and now she wanted to know where that decision was going to lead. She had nothing to her name, but Danny didn't seem to have much either and he'd gotten by so he'd teach her, she was sure. Now she wanted to learn how he planned to get around.

Wyn was willing to bet that it was a long way to the God's Gate.

A raise of a hand to rub the tension in his neck, a beaming grin to compliment her own and he nodded swiftly. "Aye, if you want me to teach you a little self defense I'd be happy to oblige. Best do many things on our travels rather than just travel. Makes things dull I would suppose, then again I have never traveled with another." There was truth in that otherwise he wouldn't have been alone coming to the surface.

Then the girl did something he did before, walking backwards throwing question after question at him only encouraging a chuckle to chime up from his throat. "We must get to the swamps first, and we will sail as it will take far too much time otherwise. We need to purchase some tickets to board properly, I hear many of the sailors do not take kindly to those who wish to board otherwise. Honest work needs that to earn honest stones, uh er... coins." Coins right. He had to remember that diligently, stones wouldn't work up here. Well... maybe not in the same conventional sense. "Though how long it could take, I do not know wily one." another grin printing on his face enjoying her enthusiasm thoroughly. "I know many things, and have learnt much more but when it comes to travel upon this great wide open space that is the top side, I do not. I will eventually, I'll make it a point to figure that out."

There was truth behind that, he was like a sponge when it came to learning anything. Knowledge was limitless and endless, making it hard not to want more and more of it. It was like another part of his appetite just a lot more sensible and didn't seem so out of the ordinary.

------------------

It turned out it actually wasn't all that hard to find passage aboard a ship. Many were willing to take on those who could offer some skill or showed aptitude for learning quickly in lieu of coin. Wyn had been able to offer skills as a cook's helper and Danny was assigned to random jobs on the ship. In such a way they bartered their passage on the AnnaMarie, a rather large ship with many sails and grand decks. For a week they'd been sailing now and the seasickness had longed passed for Wyn, as had her land-legs. Athwyn hadn't seen any signs that the vampire was following her and she'd started to relax more and open up to everything around her without fear.

She loved the ocean, able to stand or sit by the rail for hours staring out at it if left to her own devices. It was beautiful, mesmerizing to the human and it was where she sat now as the sun started to set. Wyn smiled at the first orange glow seemed to touch the still blue and she tucked her wild white hair behind her ear, the wind only threatening to pull it away again and back into her face.

The woman had been finding her feet - in more ways than one - in the last week. To be free was a whole different concept for her, unlike anything she was used to and to be cared for was even more of an adjustment. Oh, Danny was respectful of her wishes, but he was protective too. She could feel that even if he didn't show it sometimes and the rest of the crew felt it, too. The first two or three days she'd gotten looks, some too friendly, but that had stopped soon enough the closer she stuck to Danny and now those who had thought anything less than honorable no longer seemed to have the inclination.

Still, Wyn knew it was about time she start learning something and she resolved she'd speak to Danny about it in the morning. It was too late now and after helping the cook with dinner for the crew, she was much too tired to want to attempt anything. It was far more inviting to lean against the rail and smell the sea and watch the sunset.

Last edited:
He learnt really quickly that he... wasn't ever meant to be the one that traveled long distances upon the ship side. Sea sickness still played out at times with him but an adjustment in his attitude and focus it proved not to be so aggressive that he couldn't do what had been requested of himself.

Doing odd jobs here and there was certainly an learning experience and was often rewarded by the cook and Wyn's meals. The week gave way and he found himself relieved of the duties for the eve of the sun, a few of the better crewmen making idle chatter at his expense while he let the heavy iron barred shut behind, stretching his physique out towards the sky. Shedding the jacket in his quarters as he had long ago removed the sweat induced shirt to be cleaned, he felt more as one of the guys than a mere traveler. The glances Wyn received where well, probably flattering at first for her but keeping a firm eye on those who were looking, he got more defensive. Probably it wasn't needed but he knew there was a point of just looking and absolutely ogling.

Tapers ears shifted pulling a lazy stare up under his lids to hum some, padding the bare feet across the warm deck to lean across the railing a bit beside that of the woman. "Lost in the land of day dreams?" he teased gently, rubbing his face stifling a yawn behind a hand; he smirked a little with weariness coating to her. "I have not seen hide or hair of you today, you seemed to be equally as busy as I must have been." He was tired this eve and it showed in a quieter mood and less chatty actions. But he was still more than eager to have a moment to spend in the company of the pretty human lass.

Athwyn jumped slightly but then smiled as his presence drew near. "Danny." It was a greeting and happiness to see him all at once as she shifted her body to face him somewhat, pants rolled up and bare feet dangling over the railing of the ship. She brushed her hair back to better see him and reached out to move his brown hair back from his face, messing it up slightly as he always did to her. "You need more sleep." she chided lightly before withdrawing her hand and looking back to the water, looking down as she wiggled her toes and the wind pulled her shirt to the side and then forward, anywhere it felt like.

"Not daydreaming. Just thinking. I like the sea, but I think I shall soon be ready for land again. There is only so much to do on a ship."

She had heard all sorts of wonderful stories from the sailors here about sea creatures and mermaids. About pirates and storms, but so far she'd seen none of it. Wyn had to wonder if maybe the universe was trying to keep her as safe as Danny claimed to want to. She wrinkled her nose at the thought and shook it away. Green eyes glanced back at him then, a smile on her lips, but some concern in her eyes. "How is your sea-sickness? Will you need any tea tonight for it?"

Agreement rose up easily in his throat rubbing back the hair she tormented letting his cheek rest lazily into his cheek, violet eyes peeked out the side considering her carefully. Sleep would be nice but it wasn't required, it was more the fact that he wanted to do so much and in such a short amount of time that he was over spending the energy required. But that was him in a nutshell.

"Yes, land would be good to feel beneath my feet," he nodded eagerly alongside that revelation, and frowned at all once. More grimaced at the idea of tea. "No thank you," that had a habit of not staying down either. Didn't help that it tasted terrible, who ever thought of boiling water and making it taste like well... water boiled with a bit of a hint of a other favour. It was nasty and he didn't take to it. Again he rubbed his hair back, "It fairs, I have come to the very evident conclusion that myself and the open sea are not quiet in harmony as many are. Perhaps I have been too attached to the ground for so long that going against that proves disastrous." seemed plausible, "How you fairing Wyn?"

She giggled at his words, glancing at him both with sympathy and mirth. The poor elf hadn't had a very decent day since they'd boarded and even if he'd gotten over his acute seasickness, he still didn't seem all that stable either. It made her wish she could do something, but Danny didn't seem to take to remedies either and so she'd about given up, resigned to the fact that he was not a natural sailor. Then again, neither was she, but her body seemed to have adapted rather well to ocean life and she felt nary a bit of sickness even when the waves were more turbulent. On that note...

"I am tired after cooking most the day, but not unhappy." she assured him with a smile as she gathered her feet under her and stood on the rail, her balance nearly perfect. Wyn was a dancer and though she'd not made it know, nor had she practiced in a while, the skill never departed. She walked a few steps away, spun neatly on a toes and came back, looking down at the gremlin elf as she tucked her wayward hair back once more. The wind seemed to be picking up slightly, but the human hardly noted it yet.

"Danny, when we get back to land, will you start teaching me how to defend myself? I know I am small, but surely there is something I could learn."

Watching her in almost true envy how she seemed to keep such a brilliant balance upon the railing side of the ship - though he was certainly rigid and ready to go jumping after her if they happened to hit a rough patch of water-, he grinned sluggishly. "Is good you are gleeful Wyn, it is quite the sight to witness and does one's heart well to swell to see that you are enjoying your new experience rather than dwelling on what if's." the slow grin blossomed more into a charming one, watching how the red fading light of the sun painted the streams of cloud and sky many warm hues. Oranges dancing upon the pinks fading into the red giving way eventually to the deep velvet navy blanket of stars and clear horizon.

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight." he quoted before he hummed bringing up the yellowed and violet gaze to pin to her frame. Brows touched briefly considering carefully her words before he pushed himself away, clapping an assuring hand to the vessel as he rubbed a palm across the span of his bare shoulder tracing the markings there for a time. "Your stature has nothing to do with anything, well it does and it doesn't." a more serious look took to his features. Not unpleasant, not forced but absolutely focused. "You are nimble upon your toes from what I can see, it works in your favour especially with your petite frame. You'll do far better in a defensive stance that going offensive, but yes little Wyn," eyes softened, his chin tipped with a fonder reflection to her; "I will start teaching you when the ship touches dock and we touch land. But you must promise me one thing," he lifted up a finger sternly, "Do not get frustrated with what I teach. What I teach is easily different from someone else might and honestly, I will not coddle you either."

A yawn and a deep stretching pulling his arms upwards releasing the open tension from his athletic frame; he gave a final smirk. "From where I stand, you are smart and do not need the habits of babying to achieve said goals. It would be insulting to do otherwise. So tough but fair right?"

His agreement made her smile, but the expression faded a bit at his sterner tone, listening carefully as he put down conditions. His words made her wonder just what she'd be learning that it might frustrate her, but the deal didn't seem all that bad and truth be told, she didn't want to be coddled. She'd never been coddled in her life and found the concept foreign. She was naive, not untried. She knew pain and fear and sorrow and loneliness. She wasn't as fragile as she looked and Wyn didn't want to be looked at that way anymore. For so long she'd felt like prey - now she wanted to maybe look like it and give anyone who messed with her a nasty surprise.

A grin touched her lips at the thought and she gave Danny a direct look as she crouched on the railing, nimble as a cat, appreciating his last words. He was the first person in her life who'd recognized such things about her and she was glad of it. "Tough is fair, yes." she agreed before hopping off the rail and looking up at him, expression slightly curious as her eyes flickered over the marks on his skin, her hands moving behind her back so she wouldn't touch them as the desire came over her again. Green eyes glanced away from them again and back up into violet-yellow eyes and the human wasn't quite sure why she blushed suddenly, but tried to ignore it.

"Thank you for giving me a chance. Now I do believe we both have to be up early." Wyn turned then and waved shortly. "See you in morning, Danny!" She hurried away then on bare feet, disappearing below deck.

Ah yes, good she agreed readily. It wasn't really what he was going to be teaching her that could frustrate her, it might come down to the fact that he had a bit more experience and wasn't planning on treating her like a wee baby. Respect for her and her abilities were already there, there was no sense in giving her a mild lesson. He just wished for her not to throw possible irritation at him because he wasn't going to be so soft and sweet like some would probably treat the young human.

Retraining his focus upon her crown as she hopped down, a single ear perked slowly upwards more out of instinct than habit, he blinked slowly at first before he did catch how her face turned a bit red in her cheeks. But before he could ask her about it, she was bidding him good eve and disappearing below the heavy deck leaving him wondering briefly. Scratching his head, shrugging and assuming she might have gotten a chill from the sea air, he stretched once more before following suit.

Slumber would be best but getting up early, he wasn't so keen on that. He was never one to be an early riser even in the times of adventure, but it called for it.

A quick glance across his shoulder, he took the stairs down by twos pressing his shoulder more into the door of the quarters he had been sharing with a few of the crew mates and shut it just as quick. The swinging hammocks sat empty and ready for those happy to scoot in and slumber.

That was his aim.

The call that a ship had been spotted behind them interested Athwyn at first and she'd watched from the rail with fascinated eyes as it drew closer. She'd only grown a bit uneasy when she saw all the sailors around them rushing about, doing various things with ropes and sails that she couldn't possibly guess at the reasons to. She only realized they were running away from the other ship when the caption started barking out orders and their own ship lurched into speed.

Puzzled and now worried, the human looked back to the chasing ship and that's when she felt her blood run cold, phantom aches springing up on her arms and neck. A white flag with the abstract face of a creature with fangs dripping large splashes of blood was flying in the wind and Athwyn knew she'd seen it before. Her master had finally come for her. The thought curled through her mind like a crippling poison and then the human frowned, no she outright glared at the ship.

No. She wasn't a slave anymore and he wasn't her master. She didn't have a master and she'd be damned if she'd ever have one again.

The woman turned away from the ship and darted across the ship, weaving in and out of bodies as they rushed past her own, green eyes searching for the gremlin elf. "Danny! Danny?" Where was he? He had to know what was happening!

"Oy," he barked a warning hiss accompanying his tone when he felt the hard push of someone brushing past him in a rushing speed, a hand clapped in a shooing motion to his shoulder. The nerve of some people.

Stepping out from the cabin of the ship looking up to the contrast as it seemed there were many whirling bodies darting in and out, up and around every inch of the ship in a frantic speed. Throwing a look towards the railing curious if they were taking on water, the electricity that sparked against the air was the first thing that caught his other worldly sensed. Narrowing an eye, cuffing up the collar on his jacket, heavy boots clacked to the wooden deck allowing him to peer over the side to exactly what all the fury was about.

Another ship and one that was approaching fast. Too fast to be a friendly vessel, no this one had a mission with theirs. A bite of his bottom lip eyes flicking back and forth, ears flicked catching his name being called out forcing his gaze backwards.

Exchanging the pace, bulling through the crowd like they had to him a hand laced around the top of her shoulder pulling her back a place. "Calm," he spoke in that unusual uncommon tone of voice that radiated more respect than his general tomfoolery. "You should go below Wyn, with all this commotion I dare say we are about to be boarded." he hadn't clued into the fact that it had been her master on the approaching ship.

Last edited:
Wyn 'eeped' when he caught a hold of her, but then almost instantly felt better when she realized it was Danny and that he was all right. She took a deep breath, trying to pace her racing heart as he ordered her to calm down and then suggested she go down below. The human shook her head, green eyes wide, but both trying to be brave and shakily afraid as she met his gaze. "It's the vampire, Danny. That's his insignia. That's his ship." she hissed to him quietly, glancing around at all who ran past them. If these crew members knew that she was the reason they were under attack now, they'd turn her over in a heartbeat.

She was ashamed to admit that for a moment she wondered if Danny might do the same.

Wyn swallowed hard and pushed the thought away, telling herself to stop doubting. She had to trust that Danny was the person he'd portrayed himself to be. She had to give him that respect until he proved otherwise...and she sincerely hoped he did not.

The woman looked out toward the ocean and the ship again, her mouth opening to say something else when the entire ship lurched, the sound of an echoing bang and splintered wood sounding through the air. Wyn stumbled and almost fell, her hands finding the only thing near her which happened to be Danny as the rest of the crew rushed about, voices flying through the air and Wyn realized they'd been shot at. She wasn't going below deck now. She couldn't.

It was a funny time for him to find composure, but hectic situations didn't always if any phase him. Rather it seemed natural and keeping a level head was his best option. At least for the time being.

Wrinkling his nose, letting a string of curses reflect privately to his mind without ever passing his lips, he nodded shortly to her when she spoke about the vampire. As much as he didn't want to ever think about it, he knew that man would show up eventually. Best now instead of later when they were closer to the mark of the god's gate.

Lips began to part about the same time she was opening hers only to find surprise hammering through him. Correcting his stance quickly spreading more of his weight out upon his feet and stretching his legs apart to brace the impact, his grasp coming to bind quickly around her petite waist finding that he was making damn certain she didn't go barrelling across the floor either. Ears pinned back letting out the feral hiss that he had been doing so well so far at keeping at bay, the cursing and cries of the other men and women on the ship only made this situation that much more dire. "Stay with me at all times, I don't care how you do it Athwyn but try, if that creature thinks I'll just hand you back over, he is out of his bloody mind." convection stayed hard in the double tone voice that came out, "All this because of one, he risks the lives of how many. It's pathetic and I won't stand idle with it!"

She couldn't remember the last time he said her full name and somehow it steadied the human as she nodded, looking around and then bringing her focus back to him. She'd never heard that hiss nor the dangerous, double-tone to his voice but they didn't scare her and she pulled back from his chest, more in control now of her own standing and breathing. She didn't go far from him, but did rush to the railing, hands white-knuckled against the wood and equally as white hair flying all around her like a flag. She scowled at the ship and felt an anger build in her as she looked at the damage to their own vessel and caught the smear of red blood over the wood. Someone had been injured or killed already.

Green eyes, sharp now and focused, looked back at Danny and a new steel quality in her own tone. "I'm not going back with him, but he will kill everyone on this ship if he doesn't get what he wants. He won't care."

The ship shuddered again, another cannon clipping the back end and Athwyn swore, probably for the first time and definitely something she'd learned from the sailors as she hit her back against the rail, her grip on the wood the only thing keeping her from falling. She regained her feet swiftly and looked back at the ship getting closer, mind racing. Athwyn wasn't stupid, but she'd never been in a stressful situation like this either and it took a great amount of willpower not to get sucked into fear and actually make herself think logically. Even vampires had weaknesses. Sunlight...but he'd have been taking the herbal potions for that. Wood, but it required close contact to stab through the heart or any other area of the body.

Vervain.

Wyn's head jerked up and she looked to Danny, purpose in her face. "We need to get to the herbs. There might be something there that can help us."

Last edited:
All this, all this madness because the man could afford to let one being experience there own freedom without his consent. Or rather he was even betting that the vampire wasn't too happy that his free meal ticket had decided enough was enough.

It boiled a blood beneath his flesh. It only became worse when Wyn only confirmed his words about this creature wanting to murder many just for one. The whole thing was insanity and he wouldn't or couldn't stand idle by it.

Though his gaze narrowed in a determined focus to that of Wyn when she spoke about getting herbs, his other judgement wanted to ask what sort of insanity was she thinking of, but she would know more about the vampire than he would. It was best to follow her lead.

A tip of his chin and a motion of his hand to hurry her along, the crew was getting furious pulling out their own cannons to begin exchanging fire. They had little to any time left. "Let's move quick."

Status
Not open for further replies.