To Hate A Dragon

"Wait!" she yelled, reaching her hand out to the giant blue blur in the sky, but by then she knew that he couldn't even hear her. The blast of wind that escaped from under his wings as he took off into the sky pushed Alonah back against her own door, her back pushing the button of her doorbell. Alonah didn't really notice though. Her mind was whirling with thoughts and paranoia.

He has been talking about me getting hurt by bad people ever since I met him. But I don't understand any of it. Why won't he tell me what's going on, and why are these people supposedly after ME? And what about the other dragons? Are they even--

"HELLO. Earth to Lonah! Are you gonna come inside sometime today?!"

Alonah snapped from her thoughts and turned around to see a small girl with golden curls falling around her cheeks. The image softened her heart. Nadia. My dear sister.

"Yes I'm coming in Goldilocks. Don't rush." Alonah said, walking briskly passed her and into the warm and dry living room of her house. Nadia's pitter-patter of footsteps sounded as she jogged in front of Alonah, cheeks puffed out and red.

"I told you not to calm me that! My name is Nadia Ba--"

"Baria Laos. I know. But to me, you'll always be Goldilocks." she replied, tugging softly on Nadia's soft red cheeks. Nadia groaned loudly and stomped (if you can call it that) away upstairs. Alonah chuckled softly as she walked passed the desolate kitchen. The smell of roast beef could be detected in the air, but the food had long since been eaten.

Mom must be in bed early. Huh. What's new, she thought, walking slowly upstairs to her own room.

Mako flew at top speed into the sky, which was dark and cloudy. When he was fully concealed in the storm clouds above the town, he let out a loud roar in frustration. How can anyone from The Order want to kill this girl. Ridiculous... It's ridiculous! How can they justify this? How could we have worked like this for so long, and nobody said anything? How could I have... A sudden explosion of thunder snapped him out of his trance, and then he heard a familiar voice.

"Mako, it's been too long. Have you enjoyed yourself on your little vacation?"

The voice was cold and filled with arrogance, and sent a chill down Mako's spine. He spun quickly around to where the voice was coming from, but saw nothing.

"Oh come on, you'll have to be faster than that..."

He spun around again, but still nothing. Mako knew what was going on, and with a powerful push from his wings accelerated as fast as he could towards a rather tall hotel on the outskirts of the town. As he approached the roof, he spread his wings to slow down, then transformed before touching the ground. He rolled across the roof, then used his right hand to spring himself to his feet. He spun around and backed up against the door that led to a small room which contained the steps to the floors below.

"Why are you so tense, friend?" The voice came from above, and as Mako looked up, a tall figure flipped off of the roof of the small room, landing a few feet in front of him. The figure was clear now, he was a young boy, around Mako's age. His hair was short, black, and wild, pointing in all kinds of directions. The only things keeping his hair down slightly were the flight goggles which were resting above his forehead. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with grey fur, and tight black jeans. A red and black striped scarf masked his mouth.

"Eldred. What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here? I should be asking you the same thing. Trying to get close to the girl, then take her out, am I right, Mako?"

"I told you already, I'm done with The Order. I meant it."

"I was afraid you would say that. You had so much potential, Mako. You could have made it to the top. I'm afraid they won't look past this transgression."

"Are you going to kill me yourself, Eldred? Would you kill an old friend?"

"If The Order told me to, yes." A sudden intensity rang through his voice.

"You don't get it. How many times do I have to tell you, The Order is no good! They are evil, they only want wha-"

"Save it, Mako. I know what The Order is, but that doesn't change the fact that they are in control. You may not agree with some of the things they do, but in the end you know it is necessary. You used to not question their commands, what changed you? Was it the girl, Mako?"

He was silent.

"Oh brother. You've fallen further than I thought you had. I was going to talk you into coming back, but I guess there's no hope for that now."

"I'll never go back."

"Suit yourself, then. I guess you can't blame me for trying. It was nice knowing you, Mako."

With that, Eldred, morphed into a giant black dragon, and seemed to almost disappear in an instant. Mako was left speechless on the roof. It was finally hitting him, he had left everything he knew behind to protect this human girl. So be it, if this is what it takes then I say bring it on. He thought, as he looked over the edge of the building, which gave a clear view of Alonah's house.

It was 11:56 when Alonah looked at the clock on the night stand beside her bed. She had already taken a shower (a very long one) and long since changed clothes.

Great. It's almost 12 and I have school in 6 hours. Perfect. Stupid Dragon...she thought as she lay in the bed, tentatively feeling the cut on her forehead. In an instant, Iliana burst out in a fit of laughter, clutching her sides.A stop sign! Unbelievable! I ran into a stop sign! It still came as a real shock to her. Miss Alonah Laos, one of the most aware people anyone has known. And by one simple daydream, she found herself running into an immobile object. That deserves some kind of laughter from someone.

A bolt of thunder cut sharply across the sky, making Alonah jolt up in her bed. Heart racing, she clutched at her shirt to calm herself down. It was apparent that she was fearful of a lot of things ever since she met Mako. All that talk about people hunting her and a group of deadly dragons coming after her started to make her shake.

I'm probably not going to live for much longer if those guys are after me. I am completely vulnerable. They could burst in my room right now and there would be nothing I could do but scream and try to protect Mom and Nadia the best I could. The thought was really depressing as she lay back down on her soft, velvet covers. Her shoulders tickled in the cold air rushing from the ceiling vent in her room, and she snuggled under the covers. Well...there is Mako, she thought, blinking behind the wall of covers.

"Alonah. Take care. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. So don't worry."

Alonah burrowed her eyebrows in annoyance. "Whatever. If you're a dragon then that means you have something to do with the others. I don't trust a word you said." she said aloud. Her statement satisfied her fear enough to allow her to fall asleep soundly, soft pellets of rain dropping against her window pane.

Mako woke up to the chirping of birds and bright sunlight. Well, woke up was an overstatement. He barely slept the entire night, and only nodded off at best. His clothes were still a bit damp when he decided to finally get moving, and the sun had just came up. He had fallen asleep on top of the hotel, watching over Alonah's house. He entered the small room on the roof, and in the corner was a small metal box. He reached inside the box and pulled out a school uniform for the school Alonah attended. Now that they know where we are, I can't risk leaving her alone at school. He thought, as he changed into the uniform. He had already made arrangements to join the school as a new student, and was on the roster for every one of Alonah's classes.

"Seriously, you're so naive. He LIKES you."

"Shut up Tessa."

"Alonah come on! He's tall and handsome and--"

"TESSA."

"Fine, fine." came a sorrowful reply. Alonah walked through the hallways of Larksdale High School, rubbing her temples. The girl beside her, Tessa, had long brown hair and a face caked full of make-up. I guess you can say they were best friends. But as of late, she was starting to get annoying.

[Larksdale Middle? How old is your character? Mako feel like pedo nao. =P]

BRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGG

The class bell rang, and the students of Larksdale High shuffled into their respective classrooms. "Settle down, class! Settle down!" The teacher yelled for the the students to take their seats. When the classroom was finally silent, he spoke again.

"Okay class, before we begin I would like to introduce a new student. Come on in."

He motioned for someone outside the classroom to come in, and in walked Mako. "This is Kimimako Natsuri, a new transfer from Westmore. He will be joining us in our studies, please welcome him with open arms. Mr. Natsuri, your seat is there, in the back." His seat was in the back left corner, by the row of windows which lined the left wall. His seat was also conveniently right behind Alonah's. He took his seat with a smirk.

I just noticed that and I edited it and put High School! ^-^ oops! You should edit yours too! He is definitely NOT pedo i hope! 0 . o hahaha!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alonah's face was a deep shade of red when she saw Mako walk up to her seat, dressed in an brand new LHS uniform. He had a small smirk on his face as he walked down the isle. As if his presence in the class wasn't enough. Every girl, and she stressed, EVERY girl's head did a full on 180 when he walked to his seat. After Mako took his seat, the whispers started floating around the room.

"Oh my god. He's so hot."

"Natsuri? Is that foreign or something?"

"Look! Look at his eyes!"

"Wow. Alonah is SO lucky to be sitting in front of him!"

"Oh, I'll welcome him with more than open arms, alright."

Alonah's eye twitched slightly in annoyance, trying to drown out the whispers of her fellow classmate girls. The boys on the other hand weren't as impressed. Especially one in particular. The boy that sat to the right of Alonah, with a short crop of brown hair. His name was Ritesa Sumin and he was the classroom "boy toy." At least, that's what all the girls say about him. Sumin's were always known to be the most popular kids in school. Even the young Sumin, Brayden, was an au-natural chick magnet. Ritesa, unfortunately, had sort of a thing for Alonah.

She knew it. Most of the kids in class knew it. And, most annoyingly, Tessa knew. Now that Mako was here, the girls didn't constantly stare at Ritesa like they would do before. All of there eyes were now averted to Mako's. Everyone's except for Alonah. She stole a quick glance at Ritesa to find him staring back at her, a wrinkle of frustration on his face. She blinked and forgot that her face must still be bright red and she quickly looked away.

"Alright! ALRIGHT! Goodness! You kids act like you've never seen a human being before!" the teacher exclaimed.

Heh. You have no idea Miss Sue.

Mako daydreamed through the boring class, which was calculus. He had no reason to be here other than to protect Alonah, so he didn't care much to pay attention. He figured since he was the new kid, he would get away with it, at least for a little while. He spent most of the class staring out the window. Why anyone would subject themselves to this kind of torture, he didn't know.

He eventually became so bored that he needed to talk to somebody. "Alonah. Hey. Hey Alonah." He whispered, hardly being discrete. After getting no response, he tugged on the girls peach hair. "Hey. When do we get out of here?"

"Excuse me, mr. Natsuri, Ar-"

"Three X squared." He replied, cutting the teacher off.

"Pardon?"

"Three X squared, It's the derivative of X cubed; the problem on the board."

"Yes... um... Very well then. Good job."

The teacher continued with her lesson.

"So yea, when do we get out of here? This is really boring..."

Alonah felt a tug on the back of her head and she didn't need to know Calculus to figure out who it was. She was just about to turn around when the teacher cut off her movements with her question. Mako didn't let Miss Sue finish when he answered.

"Three X squared. It's the derivative of X cubed; the problem on the board."he said with no emotion. The class took in an intake of breath as Miss Sue, blushing slightly confirmed the answer. The class gasped in awe but Mako was paying more attention to her than anyone else.

"So yea, when do we get out of here? This is really boring...."

"Well, if it's so boring," she snapped in a loud whisper, not turning around, "then why did you come in the first place?!"

Ignoring the whole class and teacher (who continued lecturing), Mako leaned forward a bit. "I told you I was going to protect you. I can't risk you being alone, I have to be with you."

At this point, Tessa had already turned to hear the last sentence, and that was all she wrote. She was already giving Alonah the biggest "Oh my god" Face ever. Her eyes were huge, and so was her smile. She wasn't the only one, Ritesa heard it too, but his face wasn't ecstatic. The class bell rang, and all the students stood up and started walking out of the classroom. Mako stood up behind Alonah and waited to follow her to their next class.

Ignoring his existence was her best option was the only thought that came to her head as she stood up, gathered her books quickly, and tried to rush from the class. However, Tessa was a little bit faster and she skipped up to Iliana.

"Wow."

"Shut up, Tes."

"What? I didn't even say anything, yet!" Tessa commented, giggling. They both walked out of the door, sending Miss Sue off with a small wave.

"It's not what you said. It's what you're going to say. And I honestly don't want to hear it."

"Come on, Alonah! He HAS to be with yo--"

"TESSA."

"Alright! I was just saying that yall two would make a cu--"Tessa's sentence cuts off as she looks behind her to see Mako following them both closely. Tessa smirked at him and blushed while Alonah continued to walk through the hallway, chin up and not caring. Tessa shoved her shoulder to get her attention and started to talk lower.

"Will you even give him a chance?"

"Chance for what, Tessa?! He's just our classmate!"she whispered back, harshly. Tessa was really starting to get to Alonah. I mean...she has a point. What the hell is he talking about, being with me? That settles it. I'm going to ask him when school ends. That way I can finally tell him to back off--

"Lonah."a voice said. Alonah and Tessa both looked around to see Ritesa strutting smoothly towards them both. Tessa tensed up and Alonah lifted an eyebrow. Mako stopped along with the girls, leaning against a locker. Alonah glared at him. Stop eavesdropping.

"Yes, Ritesa?"she asked, tilting her head to the side. Ritesa's eyes darted to Mako's and Tessa's then back to hers.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Tessa exchanged glances with Mako then looked at Alonah, a wrinkle of confusion on her brow. Alonah shrugged at Ritesa and let him lead her away from the two of them. Ritesa took her across the hall to his locker and leaned in a bit. Hmm...he's being real discreet about this.

"What's wrong?"she asked.

"That guy is what's wrong. He seems...different."he murmured, darting a look at Mako from across the hall. Alonah tilted her head.

"Well, everyone is different, Ri. He's just new. Don't make him feel even worse about coming to a new environment."she replied with no emotion. Can't believe I'm taking up for him, she thought. Ritesa's eyebrows burrowed, making him appear more handsome than he normally was.

"I know you know each other. He knew your name before he knew the teacher's. And he said he has to be with you. That doesn't seem like something a new school boy would say."Ritesa said, getting more frustrated by the second. Alonah lifted an eyebrow, surprised at his sudden accusation.

"Nice to know you were eavesdropping on our conversation."she said. Ritesa hesitated for a second, avoiding eye contact with her.

"I was just--"

"Relax, Ri." she said, laying a single hand on his shoulder. "I know what I'm doing."

Ritesa didn't like that response. It wasn't the one he was looking for. Dashing another look at Mako, he leaned in even closer to Alonah.

"I'll be the one to protect you."he said, glaring at Mako from across the hall.

Mako watched closely as Ritesa guided Alonah away. He decided that Ritesa was not to be trusted, he could be one of The Order in disguise. He wouldn't leave Alonah alone with him for long. He turned to Tessa. "Why is that boy staring at me?" He asked coldly. Before waiting for her to answer, he marched over to Alonah and stood behind her. "Alonah, can you show me to our next class? I don't want to be late on the first day." He was glaring at Ritesa the whole time he spoke, and his eyes began to turn a darker shade of green.

Ritesa and Mako both glared at each other, blue eyes hitting green ones. Alonah was starting to feel very uncomfortable standing in the middle of the two of them. It was as if the heat from both of their glares were making Alonah dizzy.

Suddenly, she was very frustrated at the two of them. Mako, who had no business in the school in the first place, was now hovering over her like a bird. Or a dragon. And Ritesa, who had no business in her business, was now picking a fight with someone completely innocent. A small vein of annoyance appeared on Alonah's forehead, which was covered by a small bang.

The glares didn't stop. Ritesa didn't bother to lean back away from her. If anything, he actually leaned in a bit closer to her, his blue eyes pericing Mako's green ones. Mako, on the other hand, seemed very annoyed already. The normal shade of jade that his eyes usually were, were now tinted with a darker forest green.

Alonah shot a look over to Tessa and motioned with her eyes for her to come over and intervene. Anything was better than standing between two angered boys. As Tessa walked over, Alonah turned around to face Mako, her amber eyes softening a bit.

"Sure, Kimimako. It's not very far from here." she said sweetly. I have to treat him like a new kid. Whether Ritesa knows that we know each other or not, I can't risk for anything to happen in school. With that thought, Alonah smiled as sweetly as she possibly could in that situation, which was a pretty sincere smile. Tessa had already arrived next to Ritesa, tapping him lightly on the shoulder. It was pretty obvious that Ritesa wasn't finished his glaring contest, but he sighed instead, turning to her.

"What?"

"Miss Sue wants to see you." Tessa said. Alonah looked behind her and gave Tessa a what-are-you-doing look. Tessa blinked and gave her an i'm-winging-it look in return. Ritesa pulled Alonah's shoulder (a little rougher than normal) so that she would face him and not Mako. Alonah blinked at him with large eyes. For the first time, she was actually afraid of Ritesa...

"We'll talk later, Lonah." he said coldly. Without waiting for a reply, he and Tessa walked off back towards the class, leaving Alonah rubbing her shoulder and Mako standing behind her.

As the two of them walked away, Mako became very disturbed. It was as if he felt some weird evil presence about him...

But he ignored it for now. He had something else weighing on his mind. He stepped in front of Alonah to stop her from walking. "I don't trust that guy, Riseta or whatever his name is. Did you see the way he was looking at us? And the way he grabbed you? He's bad news. You should stay away from that guy." He was serious, but at the same time he didn't feel threatened. If necessary, he would just beat the snot out of the guy and tell him to stay away from Alonah. That was his idea anyways.

She lifted an eyebrow and walked past him, smirking. The two of them continued to walk down the hallway. It seemed like every head turned to watch Mako follow Alonah to her next class room. It seemed as though Mako didn't really notice though.

Alonah snorted in laughter. "Rye-tee-sa. And he's not dangerous. He's just a little bit protective of me. Please don't ask why."she said, not bothering to turn to look at him. In a matter of minutes they both reached the next class, English, and Alonah sat in the far end of the room, next to a window. She looked out the window, praying that Mako was somewhere far away from her to keep her fellow classmates from staring at them both. I'd rather them drool over him than me.

"Whatever. You don't understand, I can tell when things are... Off... about someone. And the Riseta guy is defintely off." This time he was mocking the boys name on purpose. "Just don't be alone with him, at least." He relaxed for a moment, content with the message he had delivered. He stood and waited for the teacher to give him his seat... Which was across the room from Alonah- But right beside Tessa. "Great..." He mumbled to himself quietly.

Alonah peered out the window in annoyance. I can take care of myself, she thought. I don't need Mako to tell me what to do. Ritesa is not off. He is just a bit confused at the sudden new entrance of another boy in my personal life. Alonah stopped her thoughts, blinking. Did I just say he was in my...? Ugh! I'm really losing it....

There was a small black dot in the sky that Alonah choose to make her entertainment for the rest of the class. She was already acing English, so the teacher really had no use for her intelligence in the classroom. So, to pass the time away, she just gazed at the black dot.

Meanwhile, Tessa wore a smile that reached from ear to ear as she watched Mako take a seat next to her.

"So, Mr.Natsuri...how do you know Miss Alonah?"she cooed.

Mako had already began to dislike Tess. She meant no harm, and was only your average teenage girl... But that was the problem. She was too talkative, to jumpy, to happy, to absent-minded for Mako to take. He knew he had to be nice to her, so he decided he would appease her.

"Well, we met when I first moved here not too long ago. We kind of just met on the street, she lives near me I think. That's pretty much it."

Tessa poked Mako's arm, a large smile on her face.

"Uhhhh huhhhh." she cooed again. Alonah could detect the sound of Tessa's voice, but she choose to drown it out.

Let him handle it.

Tessa turned around in her chair to fully face Mako.

"Well, I see you've met Ritesa. So that means you have some competition, huh?" she said with a wink. "Then again, Ritesa has been walking Alonah home everyday after school, so actually there is no competition." she said, smiling.

"I don't understand" Mako was becoming frustrated. "I'm not sure what you mean by 'competition.' I'm not here for any sort of competition. And I don't think Alonah is either. Ritesa might be though... He was giving me funny looks. I'm not sure what competition he thinks we're in." he then decided on a brilliant plan. He could use Tessa to gain information on Ritesa. "Tell me, what do you know about this boy?"

He walks her home every day? He is up to no good... He won't be the only one walking her home every day now.