To Hate A Dragon

Alonah forced a smile, giving him a small wink. As long as she knew her Mom, she was not so quick to believe the first thing out of everyone's mouth. But Mako and her were smart. There had to be a way to get around the situation. Alonah mouthed the words 'good job' to Mako, so her mom wouldn't see. It didnt take long for the three of them to reach the last intersection of the hospital.

"A man, huh. I see. And what of the healing?"

Alonah's face turned white (if it could get any whiter) and gave Mako a puzzled look. I didn't think about that....

Mako almost smiled as Alonah told him good job, but hid it so that her mom would not see. The next question hit like a wave though, and caught them both off guard.

"I really don't know, Ms. Laos. When I finally gave up on trying to find the guy, I went back and she was healed. It was like a miracle or something!"

It was the best he had. He hoped she believed in the supernatural, because there was no way he could logically explain the situation away, or tell the truth.

Miss Laos didn't respond, but instead, she lurched the car fiercely to the left and parked it in an reserved parking spot that was labeled "Employees Only."

"Grab Alonah and follow me. Quickly." she commanded, undoing her seat belt. Alonah instantly wrapped her arms around Mako's neck in a tight grip. She was preparing herself for some serious pain. Although the wound was healed, hear heart was still struggling to pump the necessary blood to keep her alive, and any movement she made caused her to feel drowsy. The three of them sped from the car in a sprint crossing over to the double doors. A male doctor leaned against the door and perked up when he saw the three of them.

"M-Miss Serene--"

"I need you to tell June that Alonah is in room 88 in intensive care. Make sure he understands that she is to have no visitors but this boy right here, Kimimako Natsuri. Take a good look at him, recognize this face. Oh, and bring me a coffee." she said briskly, leading Mako and Alonah away from the man and into an elevator. Their ascendancy caused Alonah's stomach to feel nauseous, but it gave her time to take about the past events. The tiny red dragon in her closet formed into a monstrous beast, and disintegrated when it was defeated. The thought sent a prickling shiver down her spine. But there were so many dragons...will they all come for me? And can Mako handle this alone? The Order sure does call all the shots...just for me. But...why?

The ring of the elevator snapped her out of her reverie and she looked up at Mako who said nothing.

"Mako. Take her to room 88. Take care of her until I get back. Understood?" she asked. As soon as the sentence left her mouth, the tall woman loosened up, finally showing him her light side.

"Yes Ma'am."

Mako was walking quickly down the hallway, trying to get the girl to the room fast, but also not wanting to cause her any pain from the movement. After a moment they reached the door with a golden tag reading "88". He entered the room slowly. There was a bed in the center, and all kinds of medical equipment around. He laid Alonah down carefully on the bed and sat in a chair that was beside it.

"Don't worry, you'll be alright. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I won't let it happen again."

"No worries, okay? You wouldn't have known. That dragon....was different than the o-others. I'm just glad you're a-alright." she said, trying her best to make herself comfortable. The pain was starting to ease, it was the breathing she was worried about. Her breaths grew sharper and with longer pauses between them. The nurses were taking too long with the respirator.

"I...can't breathe...Mako." she said, trying to keep her voice calm and steady. The last thing she wanted was for him to worry. Well, it's too late for that, isn't it?

"You can't breathe... Um..." Mako, who was almost always calm and composed, was starting to get a bit nervous. He didn't like hospitals, he had always avoided entering them whenever possible, for obvious reasons. With that on top of the fact that the girl he was protecting was dying, he was becoming a bit anxious.

"Nurse!"

A younger woman dressed in a white nurses outfit came running in, followed by a few other men in white coats. The men started dragging out equipment from various places, and the nurse approached Mako.

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to leave the room at this time. We don't allow anyone inside during operation. You can sit just outside, there are a few chairs in a small waiting area."

Hesitantly, after looking at Alonah and then back to the nurse, he stepped toward the door. "Please let me know as soon as I can come back in." He looked back at Alonah once more, "Don't worry, they're going to save you."

He backed out the door and stood there until the nurse closed it hurriedly. He finally turned and took on of the seats the nurse had told him about. The hallway was eerie and quiet, with the occasional echoing of heavy footsteps. Though the walls and floors were almost pure white, the lights seemed to give off a grey shade.

Mako leaned forward in his seat and clasped his hands together, resting his arms on his knees and letting his black hair cover his face. For now, all he could do was wait.

"Mako! Mako!" she shouted, and suddenly, a giant blur of brown and pink, Tessa ran and tackled/hugged him fiercely, her face tear-stained. Tessa held a very firm and tight grip on him, thinking she could squeeze all of her worry and pain away.

"I h-heard--Ritesa--He said that Alonah---meeting at the p-park at---and you g-gave h-him---hole in her stom-stomach and--and then I--and Miss Lao--"she panted, choking between tears and panic. She didn't mean to worry him, but the fact that Alonah's life was hanging on by a thread just frightened her to the highest extent. She gripped him some more, taking in the fact that he was a bit scared too. She detected a shiver throughout his body, making her grip him harder.

Miss Laos strolled up to the two of them and chose not to say anything for the moment.

Mako was startled by the sudden embrace of a teenage girl. The girl had a tight grip on him, and he wasn't sure how to react. Through the sobbing he concluded that Tessa was the girl holding on to him.

"It's.. Going to be alright." He wasn't quite sure what to say, and his words weren't only meant for her, but a bit for him also. He realized that though the two barely knew each other, they had a mysterious bond- Alonah. They both only wanted Alonah to be taken care of.

"The doctors are in there now, she'll be just fine."

The distraught teen backed away from Mako and wiped away at her tear stained face.

"Oh! Oh I must look hideous! I'm...I'm sorry for that Mako. It's just....I'm so worried about her getting hurt! It's like everyday she's around danger! And I feel so darn helpless! Like I can do absolutely nothing to protect her! She's my bestie, you know? Life with out her would be--"

"--Enough. Stop dwelling on the negative, Tessa. Alonah is strong and technically speaking, the worse damage has already been inflicted and healed. It's her breathing that's the problem, and that job, can not be healed by any doctors or nurses. It is her will to breathe that is keeping her here. Alonah isn't giving up on the two of you, so you both shouldn't do the same." Tessa nodded in understanding, squeezing the green handbag she swung around in her hands.

"Thank you, Mom."she said through a smile. Miss Laos nodded to her and went back to the pad that she was writing in, pushing a strand of brown hair back into it's rightful place in the hair tie.

Mako was running out of things to say, he wasn't used to such obvious displays of emotion. His whole life he had been trained to ignore his feelings, and the impact of others. Since leaving The Order, everything had changed.

The interjection of Miss Laos was unexpected and strange. Any normal mother would be in the same shape as Tessa. He couldn't decide whether it was the doctor or single mother in her that allowed her to stay so poised.

"I'm... tired." Mako said with a deep breath, and then sat down in one of the chairs.

"Rest. In about an hour or two, Alonah will be good as new."Miss Laos said. Whatever she was jittering around on her pad was finished as she clicked the end on the pen on pad and twisted it back into the designated pouch on her scrub.

"I have to get back to work."she said with a small sigh, turning back to the disgruntled Mako. "I wish we could've bonded on better terms."she said with a curt nod before twisting on her heels and taking off down the blinding white hallway.

Tessa's composure was back. She surfed threw her green purse and extracted small bag of cookies. "Danger, even on a Saturday! That's just typical Lonah."
"Are you breathing well?"

"Yes, mam. It was hard at first...but I think I have it down pat now."

"Very good, Miss Laos. Now, you are allowed to see visitors but if those lungs constrict again, I want you to page for me, is that understood?"the nurse asked before leaving out of her room.

"Yes, mam." The door closed and locked her in the room of silence. An eerie shudder landed on her shoulders. I hate hospitals. Hospitals was the last place she wanted to be. Some people call it 'the building of life' but Alonah knew that it could go both ways. Then there was always that pre-chewed food smell that wafted throughout the halls...

Alonah cut her thoughts off. Thankfully, her room smelled of a flower (lavender maybe?). It brought her peace. The past events were stuck in her head and she didn't even bother to wave them out. A member of the Order was in her own home. They could be anywhere! As many times as they tried to take her, however, Kimimako was always there to stop them. Every time. She fingered the healed scar on her stomach. But at what costs....?

The nurse exited the room, telling Mako and Tessa that they could finally enter. The two had been sitting quietly next to each other for some time, and both eagerly stood up at the news. They both approached the door and crept in.

"Alonah! Good to see you're finally awake and breathing well."

Alonah's entire mood lightened when Tessa and Mako walked in with joyous faces.

"Guys. Hey."she said coolly, as if nothing ever happened. To be honest, she kinda felt like nothing did happen. the pain was gone, her breathing was back, and her friends were there to meet her. With that thought, she climbed out of the hospital bed and straightened her clothes out. The nurse shot a look of disappointment towards her but her Alonah just ignored it.

"I'm feeling lots better."she said wrinkling her nose. For some reason, being around both Tessa and Mako made her feel strange....

"Are you sure you should be up and moving? What if your wound re-opens!" Tessa said, with a frowning, concerned look on her face.

Mako was silent, and continuously looking from Alonah to the window, and then taking a glance behind his shoulder. He wanted to talk to Alonah privately about the incident, and her mother's possible suspicion of something strange, but the hospital was no place to do it. There was just too many people or cameras around.

"We're glad you're feeling better." Said Mako calmly.

As soon as the words left his mouth, the door opened once more, and a familiar face walked in. It was Ritesa, and for a moment Mako locked eyes with him. He had completely forgotten Ritesa had witnessed the incident with the tongue firsthand. He knew Ritesa would want an explanation, but he hoped he had kept quiet about the whole thing, and would keep quiet a little longer.

Alonah's stare at the three of her friends suddenly turned into a distant glare. Her mind buzzed with thoughts and memories, but there was a sudden angry throb in her head that she could not ignore.

"We're glad you're feeling better."

Mako's voice run in her head...and it was as if he had throw a knife at her. Suddenly defensive, she curled her fist into a tight ball, clenching the skin tightly. What is...wrong with me...? Alonah willed herself to control her movements, but it was as if her body was fighting against her. Before the sudden urge to lunge at his throat, Ritesa stepped into the room. His presence merely added to the frustration flowing in and out of Alonah's body. Her fist clenched tighter. What am I doing...?

"Out."she said in a whisper. Tessa and Ritesa both turned to look at her.

"What's that Alonah? I didn't hear you." Tessa replied, smiling lightly. Ritesa wasn't fooled. He could tell by the way her eyes were lowered that something was...off. Turning towards Mako, he began motioning to her before she cut off his movements.

"Get out. Right...now."she said, a bite in her words. No! This...isn't me!

(as of today, we have gone for 2 months!!!)

"Um.." Ritesa was about to protest, but Mako quickly spoke up.

"Let's go, guys. She needs her rest." Mako said, gently taking Tessa and Ritesa by the arms and leading them out the door. He turned to the nurse, "Nurse, please let me know if she starts acting... strange." He whispered, and then continued out the door. He was looking at the floor, and never turned back to look at her.

"What was that all about?" Ritesa asked, after the door had come to a close.

"I'm not sure. Maybe this is all just too much pressure for her. She probably wants a little alone time, don't ya think?" Said Tessa, and the two of them turned and looked to Mako, as if he would have an answer. He was standing still, lost in his own thought.

What is this now... I don't think that was her. It could have been... No, The Order wouldn't go so far as to...

"Mako?" Tessa interrupted.

"What? Oh, uh, yea. You're probably right."

Alonah paced around the room once the three of them exited the room. Every time she would pass by an object, she would knock it down to the floor quickly in one swoop of her hand. The girl was mad.

What am I doing? I can't...control my body!

Alonah remembered that Mako did not hold any kind of eye contact with her when he left the room with Ritesa and Tessa. Alonah's face fell in anger and she growled. Fist clenched, she stormed from the hospital room, walking as if she never been hurt.

No! Stop it!!