To Hate A Dragon

I...I don't...don't know." she said back. After her sentence was out, she noticed that she was tripping over her words when she said it. It was confusing and didn't make any sense to her at all, but it happened. She continued to look at him, not moving a muscle since she opened the door in the first place. What should I do? What should I do?

Then, not to her surprise, the memory of the battle rushed back into her head and little by little, the feelings of sadness, confusion, and...something else...flooded straight through her all over again. The delicious lunch made her forget about it all, but seeing Mako in the condition he was in, brought them all back. After what seemed like forever, she finally closed the door behind her and walked over to the beanie chair in the corner of her room, away from her bed and Mako.

Mako raised an eyebrow at Alonah, she seemed nervous, or disturbed maybe. "Hmm, well that's odd."

He grunted as he sat up and twisted his body, hanging his feet off the bed and resting them on the floor. He crossed his arms over his chest and took in a deep breath. Alonah was sitting on the opposite side of the room, it was a bit odd. They sat there for a few minutes in complete silence. Mako finally decided to break the ice. "I'm sorry... About earlier. You're not hurt are you?"

Alonah cringed silently. His words...hurt. Bad. Worse than the cut on her head and the feeling in her head when she regained consciousness. He's sorry? For love? There was an ominous feeling in the room for a moment as they both said nothing for at least one minute. She shifted unconsciously in her beanie chair, crossing her arms over her knees. Her head was down to the ground.

She always got that way when she was sad, mad, or basically anything but happy. Anytime her mood dropped, her head dropped along with it. There was nothing very interesting on the ground of course. She was just hell bent on staring at it and definitely not the person she was with. Ritesa found a way out of those moments though. He would get one single finger and lift her chin up. Any other time, she would feel embarrassed...but as of late...it was just getting annoying.

Realizing she prolonged the statement, she shifted again.

"Sorry, huh. It's okay."

Lie.

"And I'm not hurt at all."

Lie.

Mako was not fooled, nor was he surprised. Alonah's 'It's okay' was not very convincing. And though she appeared physically fine, she was not the same. The events had changed her, in some way. She was more serious; the battle was a preview of things to come, and she knew it. Mako didn't want for her to have to deal with something like that, but he never counted on The Order sending elite members right away. Especially one with that much knowledge of Mako's past.

"I'm glad you aren't hurt." He said, trying to hide his own sadness. He took a deep breath, and then spoke up again. "I owe you an explanation..."

Saying nothing was probably for the best. Half of her waned to hear this..."explanation", but the other half wished she could just forget it all happened. The memories, the pain, and the people...all of it was too much for her. Her eyes dimmed in sadness, but she didn't think Mako could see. Her head was down, peach hair shrouding her face. She could cry then if she wished. Crying wasn't going to help her however. Nothing was.

She didn't want to say anything. So she didn't. She sat still, hoping her silence was enough.

Mako cleared his throat, he was trying to think of the best way to go about explaining everything... There was a lot to be said. Some of it he would rather leave unsaid.

"Like I said... There are people out there trying to hurt you. It's not just random people though, they're called The Order, and they're very powerful. They're an evil organization, they control... a lot of things. They're a group of people with abilities like mine, and the chameleons from earlier. There's also a special group within The Order, the Klaix, people who transform into dragons." He paused for a second and took a deep breath before continuing.

"They're after you... Because they believe you hold the key to a great source of power, vital to their operations. I can't tell you for a fact what it is, because I don't know. I didn't have access to that kind of information. They will stop at nothing, killing, torturing... anything imaginable to get to you. That's where I come in... I was part of The Order. Some said I had potential to make my way into the top ranks... But they sent me on a mission that changed the way i saw things. I realized the evil ways of The Order, I swore I would never go back to them. When I found out they had found the last key... I knew I had to stop them."

He stopped, thinking back to his time in The Order. He closed his eyes, and cringed a bit. He didn't look at Alonah, he didn't want to see her reaction.

She understood...and didn't understand at the same time. A group called The Order was after her, but Mako didn't know the reason. Neither did she. She was a normal 18 year old high school girl. Nothing special, nothing sugar coated, no strange magical abilities. And yet, a tyrannous group of people were after her, because she was some sort of key? And Mako was a part of that organization until he left them for his own reason. There was a slight pause in his voice as he explained about the part where he went on his last mission. Alonah immediately assumed...what was her name, Emilia?....was involved.

"I'm not her."she said. It came as a small surprise to her. She didn't even know she said anything; it was as if she spoke unconsciously. It took a tiny moment to figure out what she was going to say after.

"I'm not her. I will never be her. I don't care what happened, and I don't want to know. If these people are after me, I have to know why."she said. It was beginning to become strange. Her thoughts were scattered all over the place until all of her senses were on the fritz. There was a annoyed glaze in her eyes and her hearing started to falter. She couldn't feel anything around her and the Italian aroma of recently eaten pasta had long since gone. She couldn't taste the salty taste in her mouth that was there moments ago. It was almost as if she wasn't herself.

"I will find them. If I have to stand in the middle of the road with a ring of meat wrapped around me, then so be it, I will get them to come and I will demand to know what's going on." she snapped. Her voice became sharper, a small snap at the end of most of her words. The room was nothing more than a closed space to her now. She felt dizzy, and angry....very very angry.

"And I sure as hell dont need your pity."she spat. "Just because you lost someone dear to you doesn't mean you have the right to protect me to make up for it. I am not, and never will be, her!"she snapped.

Mako stood up, facing away from Alonah. Her words stung, as did the thoughts of what happened to Emilia. The harsh tone Alonah was using when referring to Emilia was making him angry. He clenched his fists together at his sides.

"The only pity you have from me," he turned around, revealing his eyes, now a dark forest green and almost glowing. "Is for how stupid you are."

"I'm not protecting you to make up for losing her. I'm going to tear apart The Order to make up for her. I'm protecting you because I want to, and I'll protect whoever or whatever I damn well please."

Alonah picked her head from the ground from what seemed like forever and stood up.

"I'd like to see you try."she said, and standing up sharply, she opened the door, didn't bother to look back at him, and slammed it shut. She knew Nadia and her mom would have heard it but by then, she didn't care. To hell with him.

She made her way passed the living room and headed straight for the front door. For sake of her sister's feelings, she didn't slam that one. She didn't want to scare her to death. Nadia had nothing to do with any of this, and she would be damned before she let The Order lay one finger on her little golden head. There was an eerie silence as she walked down the road to her house, taking a left at a stop sign. The path felt familiar, even though she had never walked it before. At that time it didnt matter where she went, as long as it was away from him. Him. He has the nerve to call me stupid. I dont need his protection! I never asked for it and I never will. I'm not going to be a part of his plans anymore.

The road took a slight turn and, if it were possible, the night got darker. The darkness didn't affect her in the least. Her orange eyes just shot straight through the darkness like an illuminant light. And after I got my mom to help him...

Suddenly, a small rumbling shook her from her thoughts. The rumbling was soft, but then it grew bigger and bigger until eventually she had to grasp onto the wall of the street.

"What's..."she whispered, clinging to the dark wall of a derelict building. A giant cracking sound was heard and a second later, the ground her started to open. With a shriek, she tried to back up but the crack got wider and wider. As if it weren't strange enough, a gust of wind shot from inside the trench, blowing her hair around wildly. Her large orange eyes stared into the dark abyss, captivated.

The...opening...

That was the last thing she saw before she passed out on the street with no crack, no rumbling, and no wind.

Mako was content with watching Alonah leave. He decided that he would not chase her, he would not stop her, he would not stalk her from a distance as usual. With the last attack being so recent, he was sure that the order would not come for at least another day. So he instead laid back on her bed and closed his eyes, hoping to get some much needed rest while she was gone. He was starting to drift asleep... His eyes closed slowly...

And they were suddenly snapped back open with a small rumble. An earthquake? Here? No, I sense something else...

He crept quietly down the stairs and out the door, making sure nobody saw him leave. He jogged slightly around the corner, his wound still burning. When he turned the corner, Alonah was laying on the street, silent and unconscious. He looked around to make sure they were alone

"Time to return a favor, I suppose." He said to himself as he picked her up. He carried her into the house and up stairs, and put her in her bed.

I don't know what to think. It probably wasn't an attack, The Order wouldn't have just left her there. A visionary syncope maybe? But What did she see... He sat down beside the bed and leaned up against the wall.

"Lonah! Can you tell me that story again? The one about the hole?"

"Again, Nadia? I've told you so many times. You already know exactly what's going to happen?"

"But it's my favorite story! Please, Lonah, pleaseeee!"

"Alright okay okay! But only to get you to stop whining, Goldilocks."

"I am not Goldi--"

"Once there was a girl. She had orange hair, dark orange eyes, and she was--"

"--just like you?"

"Yes. Just like me. She liked to walk down the streets and enjoy the nice air, so she would take walks all of the time. One day, she took a walk down a street that seemed very familiar...like she had been there before. But she knew she hadn't. The girl kept walking, enjoying the atmosphere and everything around her when suddenly--"

"--a giant--"

"--a giant rumbling came from the ground, yes. It was almost like an earthquake! The girl couldn't settle herself straight. She started to shake with the rumbling ground and boy was she scared! She had never experienced an earthquake before! But then...just when the rumbling seemed to let up, it got louder and fiercer until the ground itself started to crack right--"

"--right under her feet!"

"Yes. The crack was so big and she was sure she was going to fall in. She tried to run..."

"But she couldn't."

"She tried to scream..."

"But she couldn't."

"She tried to move..."

"But her body wouldn't let her!"

"Her body wouldn't let her. Everything was just too strange for her. And then...things got even stranger. The cracking stopped getting longer, but instead, it got wider. Then, a big gust of wind came from deep deep deep within the hole and pushed her hair and clothes back. The girl didn't know what to do, but she did feel something. She felt like something...in the hole, wanted to see her. It didn't feel human..it felt like a..."

"...like a beast..."

"....Yeah. Like a beast. Well, Nadia, that's it again."

"Thanks, sis. That story never gets old."

"Yeah...I know..."

A groan escaped Alonah's closed mouth as she shifted in what seemed like a mattress. With a twitch of her hand, she felt the soft vinyl of her familiar sheets. She inhaled slowly and smelled two scents; one was the dainty detergent that her mother always used when the laundry needed to be done, and the other...was the scent of another human. Then, in a rush, everything came flooding back to her. The last thing she remembered was the fight with Kimimako, her leaving the house, and...that was it. After that everything seemed blank.

She groaned again, this time a little more softly. Trying to remember the last events hurt her head and she wanted nothing more than to lay and relax. Her eyes opened, pouring a shade of dark orange on the white sheets of her bed. Kimimako must be long gone by now...she thought. It was simply depressing. A small pain pricked her heart and with each passing thought, the prick just wedged deeper. He called me stupid. And he only wants to defeat The Order for revenge for what they did to Emilia, for what they made him do to her. And I did nothing to help him. I just don't understand why it...it...hurts so bad now. She involuntarily touched her heart as she cringed, trying to fight the pain she felt.

"Ow.."she whispered.

Mako was the last thing she wanted on her mind. He wanted to protect her and she didn't want his protection or pity. Alonah was never known to fear death so much. If she had to do something to set things straight, even at the cost of her life, then so be it. She wouldn't allow Mako to go through what he went through again. She'd make sure of that.

She shifted on the bed and stared blankly at her covers, her mind wrapped in thoughts. A tiny glint of green caught her attention on her covers. Blinking a few times, the noticed that the glint wasn't just in one form, but it was in two. There were two small circles of greens illuminating off of her pale sheets. Lifting her head up, she looked at the wall ,and, to her surprise, found Mako leaning against it, still wrapped in his bandages.

"M-Mako..."she said aloud, her eyes widening a bit. There was a sudden increase in her heartbeat and a slight heat brushing across her face. What is going on with me?

"Oh, you're awake now. That's good... You're not in a coma." He had calmed down now, there was no trace of anger left in his voice. There was an undertone of concern now.

Mako estimated that it had been two hours since he had brought Alonah in from the street. He had assumed she would be out for a while... So the lights in her room were already out. The only light was the light pouring in through the window; the moon, stars, and occasionally a car passing by on the street below.

"Can you tell me what happened out there on the street? I need to know exactly what happened, or what you saw. Will you please tell me?"

She sat up and touched her head, trying hard to remember something, anything from what happened, but she got nothing.

"I don't know...I can't remember anything..."she said. The last thing she could remember was walking down the street.

"I remember walking down the street...but then I opened my eyes and here I am."she said. For some reason she was actually talking to him. No anger, no annoyance, only a tad bit of sadness, but she didn't think he noticed.

"It doesnt matter anyway. I'm home and thats all that..." Her sentence trailed off as she looked at him. "Wait...how did I get here?

"I was afraid you might say that. I think you're experiencing Visionary Syncope. Basically, while you're awake you go into a dream-like state and have visions. At the end of the vision, you faint." He stared at the dark floor for a moment, trying to think why she would be having these visions. He could only conclude that it had something to do with her being the key. I need more information... I need to know what it is The Order needs her for, and what her visions contain...

"Oh, well.. I carried you of course. I found you laying in the middle of the street. I wasn't going to leave you there."

"I see. Thank you...for bringing me home. And I'll try my best to remember what happened."she responded and all of a sudden a tiny knock sounded at her door.

"Come in."she said. Suddenly a girl with gold hair poked her head through the door and looked at Alonah and Mako with orange eyes like Alonah. Alonah smiled slightly at her little sister.

"Nadia. What's up?"Alonah said and patted beside her on the bed. Nadia ran beside her and hugged her.

"Lonah, I couldn't sleep."she said and looked over at Mako with a wrinkle on her nose.

"Did yall kiss yet?" she asked. Alonah's face turned bright red and she tensed up.

"Wha- I- we-" Mako paused for a second, and then cleared his throat. "We haven't kissed. We don't kiss. Only parents kiss." He couldn't think of a better way to explain it to the little girl. He wasn't very good with children.

"I'm a bit surprised your mom is okay with me being here. She's okay with you bringing a random guy home, and he staying in your room?"

Nadia looked from him to her sister with a wrinkle still on her nose.

"Alonah, but i thought you kissed--"

"ENOUGH, Nadia."Alonah said with a squeak in her voice. When Nadia puffed her cheeks out and snuggled closer to her, Alonah exhaled, finding it safe to talk again while her face cooled from its embarrassment.

"It's not a problem at all. My mom knows I make wise decisions when I bring people to the house."

"Yeah, she even let you undress hi--"

"NADIA!" she squeaked again, throwing a glare at her as the heat returned. Nadia pulled one of her golden curls playfully then looked up at Alonah with the most precious grins.

"Thanks, Lonah. I think I can sleep well. Goodnight."she said and planted a kiss on her cheek. Forgiving her little sister of being a nuisance, she patted her shoulder.

"Sleep well."she said. Nadia rose from the bed and looked at Mako, head tilting a bit.

"Don't worry. Alonah is always embarrassed when she see's a cute boy. You two might be able to sleep toge--"

"GO TO SLEEP."Alonah snapped, pointing fiercely towards the door. Nadia giggled and ran from the room, closing the door behind her. Alonah looked down and ran her fingers through her hair.

"S-Sorry about that...she knows me a lot."she stuttered.

Mako chuckled a bit. "Right, knows you. It sounds like she's not the only one!" He jested with a smile. He scooted forward and then leaned back, clasping his hands together behind his head and laying down.

"I think we should get some sleep." In reality, Mako wouldn't sleep very much. He was tired from the battle, but he couldn't risk something happening while he was asleep.

He seemed content with himself, leaning there. Alonah took a look at the clock and noticed it was 1:32. Geez. He's right, I should go to sleep. Then again, there's no school on Saturdays and I feel like I just woke up anyway. I'll just pretend.

"Yeah, it is late isn't it?"she said, giving forth the best false yawn she could muster out. "Well, good night."she said and twisted her body so that she faced the wall. She didn't even bother closing her eyes; it was dark enough inside the house, so closing her eyes wouldn't change anything. Instead of relaxing, she just looked at the white wall only a few inches in front of her her face. The orange light from her eyes reflected off of the wall and she cringed, hoping that Mako couldn't see that. Curse this color, she thought, blinking a few times to watch the orange light in front of her blink on and off.

After everything that has happened to me in the past 2 days, I am actually laying down in my bed, comfortable and looking forward to tomorrow. Wow. Despite finding out that I'm being trailed by a man-eating dragons that are out to get me. That, and the fact that one of their former members refuses to let me out of his sight. I just have to wait and do the best I can to actually stand up to one of the The Order members and demand to know why they want me. I know Mako told me I'm a...key or something....but that isn't enough. I don't understand; Key for what? And if the Order wanted the key before...and Mako was actually in the Order...then why does he want to stop them now?

A car flew past the window, snapping her out of her thoughts. Once the car was gone and the room was shrouded in darkness (all but her eyes), she drifted back into her wonderment. And he said something about me seeing something and then fainting afterwords. But what did I see? Why can't I remember anything?

"So, you're saying something opened?"

"Yeah. It was strange, Tes. Unlike anything I've ever seen. And it was just in a normal street!"

"Are you sure you're okay, Lonah?"

"Yeah...just...just fine."

"Maybe you just need something to keep your mind off of those things. Shopping, it is then!"

"Shopping? That's what you like to do, not me."

"Oh whatever, Everyone likes to shop. And I'd rather you shop then think about some weird opening."

"Opening? What opening?"

"What...? Alonah...we were just talking about it..."

"Talking about what?"

"The ope--oh never mind. Let's go."

Alonah looked at the wall and wrinkled her nose.

"An opening...?"she said aloud. Then, realizing she blew her cover, she slapped her hand over her mouth and tensed up, squinting her eyes closing, hoping Mako didn't hear her.

Mako blinked sleepily. An opening? What is she talking about...

"What.. are you..."

Before he could finish, he was soundly asleep. So much for staying awake to watch her.