Those Hunted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inwardly, I have to push my aggravation aside. What IS suave, anyways?
I continue walking, moving through the park, through rows of bushes and, more or less, into an overgrown area, surrounded by a circle of clear area, a couple yards or so wide, and I walk into the overgrown section, In the very middle, I push away leaves, sticks, grass, dirt, to reveal a trapdoor, which I open by the rope handle, revealing a dark, musty, hole, with a ladder all the way down.

Reactions: ≈Evërlastiπg≈
Ross laughed as Xypher pushed her and teased her. She remained at a height a little lower then Xypher's and said, "I'm sorry, we ghosts just naturally float. And often float a little higher then everyone else. It's a superiority complex since we are dead," Ross awkwardly laughed, "except I'm not dead. I just have the attitude of a ghost!"

Ross came to a stop when she noticed Baker pulling open a trap door. Ross let out a little gasp, shocked that there was an actually hiding place. Ross was half convinced Baker was joking when he said "safe house." Ross really didn't think anywhere could really be considered safe anymore.

I barely pause, getting a grip on the top rung and lowering myself down, into the darkness for about 20 feet, before emerging in a small 10 foot wide, 15 foot wide, 7 feet tall concrete room, metal shelves lining the walls, filled with dusty cardboard boxes, cans of different sizes with tape on them, labeling what they are, and weapons on the far wall, the ladder being on the wall opposite. Walking to the middle of the room, by memory alone, I reach a table, and flick on the small gas lamp, illuminating the room.

The transhuman bastard. Thinks he can order me around. Aurus did a lap or 40 around the city. Light speed was amazing. On the 39th run, he noticed a group conversing in a nearby park. Okay, nothing too weird about that. Aside from the freak standing amidst them. Mutants. He reduced himself to Mach 3.5, enough to get near Deus. "Boss, we've got muties in the northern quarter. What do we do?" The faceless mask seemed to ponder for a moment. And then, in a quiet boom, he said "Take a contingent and surround them. Recruit if possible, maim if not. We can't afford any of our brothers and sisters to act as our enemies. Nor may we reduce our numbers."

"Right away, boss man." Bastard. As Aurus turned, Deus spoke again. "And do not call them that Aurus. You sound like a human." You dare insult me? ME? "Yeah. Boss." He flicked away at Mach 5, closely followed by several drones and flying mutants, some suspended by drone companions. The day of reckoning is coming. We'll see who's boss then, Vlad. He landed in the park shortly after. "Stand and deliver my siblings, in the name of the Almighty Deus." His comrades fell in line behind him.

Xypher laughs at Ross's words "I can tell, just dont haunt me in my sleep or something. I tend to kick" her voice is teasing and lighthearted. She looks surprised seeing Baker's "safehouse" or rather "safe underground basement thingy". Seeing him climb down the ladder she looks after him curiously calling down "There better not be any spiders down there, I will kick you" She climbs down the ladder stepping into the room looking around, Well it could be worse, I wonder when he made or found this place. Xypher looks around for Nosalis wondering where he had gone

Reactions: 2 people
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/083/4/1/werebear_inked_by_dudeamis.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/194/6/2/wererat_by_raphelt-d5729rq.jpg
http://saveordie.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/spell.jpg
Perhaps he should clarify. He hated imperfect organics. Mutants were not as such. Mutants, while flawed in the sense that they could think for themselves and feel emotion, were greater than their evolutionarily inferior cousins, Homo sapiens. But Aurus... Sometimes Deus thought, if there wasn't an agent as effective as he, Deus would replace him in a heartbeat. He was too brutal. Oh, he looked for a superhuman who felt nothing for humanity. But towards everything? To your brethren? No. One day, someone more efficient would come. But not this day. He sent him off to the group near the park, and continued to the south, landing amid a large crowd of people being corralled by Hunters and SWAT teams. His rail gun popped from its holster on his wrist, shooting the fiberglass orbs within precisely into the frontal lobes of the enemy soldiers, drilling into the concrete sidewalks behind them as they emerged from the back of their skulls. His drones took their places. "PEOPLE." The screams halted. "MY NAME IS DEUS. AMONGST YOU, I AM SURE THAT MANY HAVE NOW NOTICED THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT NECESSARILY CONFORMING TO YOUR STANDARDS OF NORMALITY. YOU CALL THEM MUTANTS." He seemed to spit the word, which people cringed at, eyeing each other with wary eyes. "TO THESE PEOPLE, OPPRESSED FOR YEARS BY THE GOVERNMENT YOU'VE COUNTED ON FOR SAFETY, I SAY YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE NOT UNPROTECTED." He raised a hand. "TO ANY WHO SEEK EQUALITY, WHO SEEK BROTHERHOOD. WHO SEEK JUSTICE. I OPEN MY ARMS TO YOU. YOU ARE MY BROTHERS, MY SISTERS, AS I AM TO YOU. ANY WHO WOULD HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP FORWARD NOW, AND ACCEPT WHO THEY ARE, DO SO NOW. YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE." Almost a minute passed before the ranks of people broke, and a little boy, no older than 8, crawled through, followed by his clearly worried mother, who froze at the sight of the figure before her. Deus lowered his voice. "And you would be?" He raised his hand to the boys mouth, the microphone within amplifying his speech. "My name is Nathan Sanders."

"And you are one of us, Nathan?" His mother was shaking her head, tears streaming down her face. "Yes." Deus nodded, sympathetic to the boy. Cameras began to arrive, flocking into the air. The sound of gunfire erupted from the sides of the crowd, quickly silenced by his drone army. "And what makes you one of us?" Nathan shook a little bit, and fur erupted from his body, shredding his clothing. Canines lengthened, ears stretched, limbs lengthened, torso and muscles expanded, his nose lengthened into a snout, claws sharpened from nails, and a tail sprang from his hindquarters. A newly transformed werewolf stared up at him. "Interesting." But Nathan wasn't done. He shook again. His snout narrowed, his tail shed its hair, his fur became flat and greasy, his fangs flattened out, and his eyes became beady. Another tremor, and his body grew massive, his muscles growing, his snout shortening, and his fur gained a straw-like quality. "A skin-changer? A useful trait for eliminating our enemies. We'll perfect you Nathan. Not hinder you. Now prove your loyalty." He gestured towards the sobbing woman. The bear's eyes looked uneasy. "Nathan, I, and my comrades, are your family now. Not this woman who would have willingly flung you to the Hunters." At the mention of Hunters, Nathan's eyes showed fear, only to harden into obsidian orbs. His mother stopped sobbing, her eyes flashing up to her son. "N-N-Nathan? Sweetie?" The bear craned around, clawed hands raised. A roar issued from its maw, and a cloud of red flashed up into the air. The bear shivered and shrank into the boy it once was. It seemed a pain for Nathan to not cry. Deus knelt beside him, carefully placing a hand on his shoulder so as not to crush it. "I'm sorry Nathan. But she was holding you back. She was prepared to kill you. But I'm proud of you. You knew what was best for you, and carried it out yourself." The boy looked up into the helmet of the man above him, eyes shining at the idea of someone holding pride in him. "DRONE-18867. Take Nathan away, and get him some food and clothes." The skeletal form of one of the faceless drones strolled forward, walking the boy along by his hand. "WILL ANYONE ELSE SHOW THE COURAGE OF A BOY?" It took about an hour to sift through all the superhumans that stepped forward afterwards, all following in the example of Nathan. Not everyone was prepared to butcher their loved ones, but were accepted by Deus all the same, each sent along with a drone. He was not looking for murderers. He was looking for soldiers. And scholars. And workers. And friends. Their powers varied [from strength far beyond that of ordinary men to telepathy (which Deus demonstrated could not work on him, thanks to the nanobots implanted within him controlling the electric impulses in his brain, keeping his brain in his grasp) and telekinesis], but all united under a common cause. Deus's cause. "WE ARE UNITED, MY BRETHREN. MEN AND WOMEN OF NEW YORK CITY." He turned to the humans (for all the superhumans had since been diluted from the poisoned pool). "WE HAVE NO MORE NEED OF YOUR SERVICES." He gestured to the psychic (who'd named herself Mente), and gestured with his hand. She nodded, and twisted her hand, promptly snapping the spinal vertebrae of the human audience. None of the superhumans batted an eye. "Come on. We're leaving." He shot into the sky at Mach 5, leaving a crater in the asphalt beneath him, followed by his new horde of superhumans and drones. The end was coming.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Ross had never thought to haunt anyone in their sleep before. She wondered if she actually did have that ability.

Ross let Xypher go down and then she turned to Chrissy. Ross was going to let Chrissy go down before her but then Ross heard someone's voice not to far off, since they had traveled only a little farther away from the park, and it didn't sound good. Ross stayed still, not moving into the safe house but not going towards the commanding voice she heard. She didn't know what to say or if she should really be worried.

Chrissy followed the group, surprised at how friendly the females who had apparently just met were to each other, to the safe haven underneath the ground and gulped. Did she really want to be trapped down there with near-strangers and Nosalis? Stevie twittered on her shoulder, not entirely comfortable with going underground. Chrissy sighed, having heard the voice, she wasn't sure if she was safe and maybe if she stayed with other mutants she could stay alive until she no longer needed them to survive. So she nudges Ross who feels cold in her ghostly state until she floats down under the ground. Chrissy follows cautiously, feeling as trapped as a bird with no wings. Stevie must be hating this.
what if this is a trap? What if hunters find them? There better be an escape route. She pulled the door closed on them and tensed in the dusty air, keeping her mind buzzing in case she needed to pull on their strings

Edward followed the group as they made their way to the male's safe house. This could only bee a trap set up by hunters. I can't believe Chrissy fell like a sucker. I'll have to keep a close eye on the older ones. Must be the brains behind this ambush. Edward stayed out of eyesight by hiding behind trees. When no one was paying attention, Edward grew branches full of leaves to hide his body. Eventually the group started piling into some kind of underground shelter that was completely surrounded by various brush and topiary. The male going by Baker was the one to open the hatch first, leading everyone else to follow. Edward watched from behind an oak tree, still holding the Daphne from earlier. Although now the flower had grown into branches, as long as Edward's arm span. Each branch still flowered the powerful Daphne flower. Edward found it hard not to breathe in the toxins standing still. He held his breath as he watched them enter the shelter, Chrissy lagging behind. Edward nearly fell over when he realized the other young girl float through the ground. She's real. Maybe they hired her, or maybe some kind of trade in exchange for her freedom? Chrissy was the last to enter, albeit hesitantly. Edward broke into a sprint making his way to her, all the while shouting "CHRISSY, DON'T GO IN!" Too slow. I have no alternative. I'll have to get in and take her out myself. Standing over the hatch, Edward sat on his knees and began to concentrate on the Daphne branches. Within a minute, the flowers tripled in size, causing the branches to become cumbersome. One good swipe may cause a petal blizzard. That'll be my escape. Chrissy shouldn't get much of a whiff if I'm careful. Oh god, who knows what torture they have in store for her? Edward unconsciously puffed out his chest as he pulled open the hatch. He jumped in, smacking the branches against the floor as he landed. The flower petals spun around Edward in a dazzling mini-tornado that threatened to engulf anyone that got too close. Edward looked upon Chrissy's torturers with his meanest glare, and bellowed in a booming voice. "SURRENDER THE CHILD TO ME OR I WILL DESTROY YOU..." Edward stopped as he looked Chrissy straight in the eye, for she was alive and well. Wait... this isn't a trap? Edward then grasped the situation with a look of confusion on his face, Edward dropped the Daphne branches as the petals stopped spinning, falling with his confidence and virile stance. Edward spoke fitfully in his embarrassed state. "Wait, you guys really are mutants?! OH man, I am so sorry! I thought this was some kind of trap ... for Chrissy... and me..." Edward smiled apologetically as he now saw how stupid he looked. The first friendly group of mutants I find... and I attack them with poisonous flowers. This must be some kind of Karmic joke.

As soon as Chrissy shut the hatch, she heard a faint bellow of her name, but disregarded it, as she was surely just imagining it. But as soon as she had climbed to the bottom of the ladder, the hatch burst open, lighting up the dim space with sunlight and...giant petals?! Edward locked his gaze with her wide eyes and she tripped backward, avoiding the petals swirling around him and landing on her bottom in her surprise. Stevie flapped her way off her shoulder and flew in panicky circles just below the ceiling, chirping loudly as she went.
Chrissy suddenly realized what Edward had thought this was and found it shocking that he'd even care, though the fact that he was a mutant with apparent power over plants made it slightly more believable. Still, why rescue her? He has himself to worry about and she's just some kid he met on the road who seemed more mature than she looked. That's all.
She gulped as the petals and branches fell to the ground in Edward's embarrassment and eyed them cautiously, dusting herself off as she stood a little shakily. "I can take care of myself, Edward. But thanks for your concern." She replied, probably sounding more mature than he'd ever heard her without the fake high pitch she'd used earlier with him.
Every breath she took around the petals, which were closest to her since she had been the last to enter, gave her slight pressure in her skull. She had always been prone to headaches, especially if using her power improperly. She pressed one hand to her head and called to Stevie to settle down. Learning that her friend was safe gave the little robin some peace of mind, though she still seemed a bit fidgety when she landed on her shoulder again. "Um, Edward? Are these flowers poisonous by any chance?"

Edward laughed at Chrissy's question. She looked a shade timid, even with her nonchalant expression. Asking if they were poisonous was a smart question, but the whole situation made Edward laugh out of embarrassment and self depreciation. "Highly toxic to the touch. Daphne flowers can produce delirium, high fevers, purple bruises, but cure headaches oddly." Edward walked over to her as she pressed a hand to her head. "Don't worry! You would be rolling in your own spit if it got you." He then subtly whispered in her ear. "Besides, the flower petals were just dramatic effect. The branches were meant to be my real weapon." Edward then took a step backwards, eying everyone as sincerely as he could. Sine we are all mutants, let's bury the Hatchet. Forget that display of floral demise." Edward kicked one of the branches out of the hatch and said optimistically, "After all, we don't want to kill each other, right?" His grin of apology crept back as he tried to make everyone quickly forget the fool he made of himself.

I sigh, sensing the drones above. I take control of one of them, and begin fiddling with it to allow a voice option.

Above, it would look like it was flipping out. A couple sparks, twitching, rising and lowering uncertainly, shooting forward and loosing control to roll across the ground, before righting itself and stating in a robotic voice, "Leave this area, or you'll piss off someone who will make you all pay. Have a good day." Then the drone 'exploded,' the pieces slowly, carefully tearing away from each other, expanding in a hollow sphere. After it expanded to 3x the size, the pieces all slammed back together, condensing into a ball smaller than a fist, before dropping to the ground with a dull thud.

Xypher was surprised at the sudden introduction of this....Flower man? Before she can stop herself her right hand erupts in dark blue flames in a defensive reaction to his bellow. Realizing he had made a mistake she smiles softly at him before making the fire fade from her hand. "No I have no intention of killing anyone, And I only hurt those who threaten me or anybody around me". Giggling softly at his obvious embarrassment over his actions she holds her hand to Chrissy to help her up "Its all good, as long as theres no more floral demise that is. My name is Xypher" Her voice is teasing but friendly.

Xypher tilts her head slightly at hearing some odd noises coming from above then a sudden boom, she looks over at Baker a sneaking suspicion he was the cause. "What was that?"

A drone crumpled next to him. No big boom. Simply expanded and collapsed into a tight little orb. Aurus wasn't surprised as surprised as the other muties with him. Howard Baker. No other mutant in Deus's logs noted the power he had. He turned to the blue painted drone beside him. "Scan the area. Find the bastard." It took a painstaking minute, the drone making a lot of whirring sounds. "South by southwest. Irregularity in ground level. Hollow." Tunnel. Which would probably lead to a safe-house. "All drones vacate the area. Take the mutants with you. Rejoin Deus. You're useless here." Aurus pointed at the two mutants in the rabble. One notably could move fast. The other was a firebug. "You two, with me." Aurus began stalking towards the center of the park, on the path the drone had noted, making sure to hand the knife he carried to another drone, and remove his jacket, which had a metal zipper, and the metal buttons on his otherwise elastic pants. He'd heard of what Baker could do. Strangled bitch-ass Hunters with their own dog-tags. In a minute or so, he found the trap-door. This is going to be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
((I literally just explained the 'explosion,' or did you just skim over my post? It slowly tore apart, until the radius of the torn parts was 3 feet, and then it slammed back together, forced into a small ball.))

The drones, however, did nothing. In fact, they powered down, but none of them changed position, the hum of their machinery disappearing. And in unison, they all repeat, "Leave now, face death otherwise. I have killed hundreds without ever being harmed. Including government-employed mutants. Leave now, or court death." However, the didn't budge. Any handguns, SMGs, rifles, grenades, or any other weapon that has a scrap of metal in it disarmed themselves, tearing themselves apart into useless hunks of metal. Appliances from various housing surrounding the area broke out of their homes, the metal shaping itself into metal balls, which flew to create a kind of 'shield' around the area that the trapdoor lay. The drones strode forward, working on Baker's power alone, and turn to face outward, forming a drone defense group, with a shield of metal balls that can be shot at amazingly high speeds right behind them. The shield of metal balls didn't even budge when the group of 3 attempted to walk through, probably not even aware of the lightning-fast defense that set up, and the ground drones moved to through them back.

"Last chance, mutants. Leave or court death."

((Well, sorry mister implosion! I did skim, but now it is fixed.))

"Court death? Then I must ask how Death would like to die." Aurus flashed around the wall, blasting it with a wave of light, melting the shield into a stream of lava. "By fire?" He clapped his hands together. "Or force?" The line of drones were blown backward a good quarter-mile, parts flying in multiple directions. The fast one moved out, gathering whatever bits and pieces of the bots he could carry, until none were left, run to the center of the city. Too slow. Barely broke the sound barrier, shattering the glass windows of the buildings around him. The pyro shifted the lava out of the way, flinging it across the field in a burning wave. "Where's your little posse now, Baker?" Aurus gestured to the mutant next to him again, cracking open the trapdoor to the point where only a mouse could have squeezed through. "Fire then. Smoke them out." He nodded, and summoned the spreading fire around him, gathering more as it moved towards him. It snaked through the crack, winding up and down the hall. Aurus shut the door, slamming it shut with a powered fist. "Weld it."

"Wood sir."

"MELT SOMETHING OVER IT!"

"Sir, shouldn't we leave some room for escape?" Aurus backhanded the mutant. "Never question me! No." He glanced at the door. "No, they'll find a way out. Let's go before he does." They shot off into the air. (Or at least, Aurus did. The other one started at a run across the smoking park, to be picked up by a pack of straggler drones who found him sweating like crazy.)

The lava didn't do much to stop the metal wall. It was still metal, just in a different form, and Baker's power could overpower someone in his realm, and he wrestled the control away, and used the lava to throw up a lava-shield all around the area, just as Aurus decided to fly up, straight into the lava-ceiling.

Of course, he would not be feeling well. Reaching out, he felt the movement of another mutant, heading towards a group of bots. Stupid, thinking my range is so limited!
He took control of the bots as the mutant reached them, and the drones shot him down, the bots themselves morphing into pikes to impale the mutant into the ground, before he/she could even react.

The lava dome shriveled, brought closer by Baker, clearing the area and killing anything not in the radius [Nosalis knew to stay away], and then he dealt with the smoke problem. Before the smoke even got all the way down, he blocked it with metal. It's not that hard, since smoke goes UP, and they're trying to force it DOWN, and then they tried to WELD a WOODEN trap door shut.

These guys aren't too intelligent. I used the 'welds' to burn away the wooden trapdoor, and as the lava started cooling, I turned it back to metal balls. Anything that got close now would find themselves shot to death by little metal balls, moving at supersonic speed across a small clearing, in a shotgun-like pattern. Nothing moving fast would get close without getting hit.

The fast guy, who was collecting the bot pieces probably hadn't realized he was dead until he flopped onto the ground, a metal piece having morphed into a dart within his pile, and shooting into his heart.

((Control my units, I control yours.))

Damn it. The other two were dead by now. They had to be. Every man for himself then. Aurus blasted his way through with a kinetic wave, then went full light speed, too fast for even a master of metal to outdo him. The fallback point had been Trenton, so that was where he directed himself. Aurus was tired by now. So much exertion, melting the metal, forcing back the bots with a massive kinetic wave, blasting through the lava shield, and now going over re-entry speeds without any absorption of energy to compensate. It was over in a matter of seconds, but still exhausting. It took more power to level himself back down through the sound barrier, smashing into the asphalt in front of Deus. "Aurus. Where are the drones? The mutants you took with you?"

"Dead. Master." He managed to pant out. "Baker. Howard Baker. The Class 1. Too powerful." Aurus collapsed, silently hoping Deus would seek revenge. If Aurus couldn't kill him, Deus definitely couldn't. This last thought satisfied him as he blacked out.

((Fixed the welding error to a degree that is less stupid. Also, considering I control both Deus and Aurus, I feel I can use them in the same post, much as you would an NPC or separate character you created, though the focus remains on the original. Also, what units did I control? I blasted away "your" drones, and had my man tear them apart. That's like saying you cheated when you took over my drones.))

Edward eyed Xypher suspiciously at first. Tried to attack her and she's friendly so quickly. She must have an ulterior motive. Edward then stuck out his hand and spoke friendly like, "OH hello. Sorry again about that whole...." Xypher cut him off by acknowledging an explosion outside. Indded, what the hell was that?! Edward pressed his palms against the ground, growing tall grass around the shelter. Each blade tingled under the gusts caused by drones, sending odd sensations throughout Edward.He shivered as a result. Part of the grass was soon crushed under three pairs of boots. The boots moved quickly and found themselves over their safe house. Edward gasped rather effeminately as the boots melted something heavy on top of the hatch. Edward's palms burned a tint red as hot metal engulfed some of the grass. The heat caused Edward to fall on his bottom, and he started panting with anxiety. He warned the others in a quickening and scared tone. "Guys, someone just blocked us in! What are we gonna do guys?! Did I mention I'm claustrophobic in locked spaces, GUYS?!!!" Edward was too panicked to notice the male moving his body, as he seemed to be the only one that knew of the intruders. Edward began rocking himself as he felt the walls closing in on him. He inadvertently put his palms against the ground, reconnecting him with the grass. He relaxed only a little when two pairs of boots left. The last one went barely outside of his range, and seemed like it might leave itself. Edward reverted back to panic as the shelter began to feel warm. His grass receptors all died off somehow, something connected to the heat around the shelter. Edward failed to account the male still moving and controlling the flow of lava, so he continued to curl up in a ball. "God, oh god. GUYS! What the hell is going on?'

Shaking her head at Edwards panic she frowns at Baker "Okay I get your doing something up above, and stopped something from reaching us down here. But could you please open a way for us to get out now? Edward is gonna pass out and it is getting quite warm. Metal man" Her voice is teasing but has a serious undertone to it. Xypher walks up to the metal wall that appeared as she started to smell smoke, she pokes it then stares at Baker pointedly. She hopes Ross and Chrissy wernt panicking too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.