Those Hunted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of her going to the Hotel's gym to exercise was a near laughable suggestion. She wasn't weak but nor was she incredibly strong either. The treadmills would only be able to provide minimal entertainment until the velocity of her running wore out both the tread, her shoes and the gears within that helped it to function, not to mention the number of fearful looks she would begin to get after some twenty minutes on the top setting, without her breaking a sweat. It was just one of those things she didn't do and it was saddening to think that people were considered monsters just for lacking a particular humanistic trait. Okay... maybe she did lack a lot of them, but those things which made her deter further away from the norm weren't even recognizable to most people on a day-to-day basis. She sighed, feeling the familiar tightness within her belly that meant she needed to start moving. It felt like a collage of being hungry, tired and riding a roller coaster all at once, the roller coaster accounting for several similarly sickening sensations. It was the unspent adrenaline.

Part of her wished to run and never stop, another to skip the run altogether, and another tempting her to explore the area, or better, the area of Main Street where the destruction had taken place so that she could try to better fathom the emotions that had run rampage. Deus, as he called himself, had already spoken of his motives and plans well enough. He was disgusted by the mass murdering of children simply for being mutants. She couldn't remember the exact number of the dead, but it had been a lot. Even just one was a lot and unacceptable to her... but she didn't make the rules. It was the Governments way of showing everyone who was in charge and that no one would be spared, be they young, old or powerful, and it secured the feelings of fear in the hearts of the civilians, keeping them loyal. What Deus had failed to inform everyone of, though his doing so would have surely brought more S.W.A.T than Mutants, was the way in how to contact him. It had to be obvious, but subtle, and was probably a very simple process. "Miss!" Her eyes opened at the touch of someone's hand on her shoulder, sucking in a deep breath that she had forgotten to take. It was a young man, looking worried and a little scared. She was in the corner of the elevator, body slumped and not breathing, so he had a right to be. "Oh! Uhm, I'm sorry... I'm so tired... I didn't sleep at all last night." She smiled and laughed lightly, thanking the boy for waking her and sending a wave of comforting blue calmness over him just as she stepped off of the lift.

"Edward." It was all he could reply with without being too revealing. Well, scrap the refugee idea. At least that's a lot less hurdles to jump over later. Edward checked to make sure Chrissy was settled, then accelerated away from his near crash site. "Boston it is! Hold on, Chrissy!" The van roared to life as it sped down the highway. Edward relished the wind in his hair, which felt almost ecstatic when compared to being inside for four years. Edward nearly lost himself, when he realized he was probably scarring Chrissy for life. He swiftly slowed down, and rubbed the back of his head apologetically. "Sorry, I don't get out much. Strict wife and what not." He couldn't help but giggle slightly. So stupid! But the best lie I got. Maybe she'll think I'm being funny.

Edward drove the next long miles responsibly, turning at every sign reading 'Boston'. He tried to maintain a safe speed, keeping Chrissy in mind, but really wanted to speed. Boston was only 50 miles away, at least according to the broken road sign. But only going 65 miles-per-hour made the whole trip drag by. Edward was also distracted by the awkwardness surrounding him and Chrissy, and decided it was best to make with the small talk. " Soooo... uhm... Do you like to do... things?"

Edward answered her briefly, and swiftly returned to the speed he had been going before he almost hit her. Chrissy obeyed his command and held onto the handle above the door with one hand and cupped Stevie in the other, keeping her feathers from fluttering in the wind blowing in from the open window. Her eyes were wide and she stayed silent, keeping her eyes glued to the road as Edward clearly enjoyed his ride. She wondered if she'd have to "ask" him to slow down, then shook her head, hating herself again. Chrissy knows manipulation shouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind. Surely if she asked without even looking at him, he might pull his foot a little off the gas pedal. Just slightly. She bit her lip as shallow breaths traveled in and out of her lungs with the cold air from the open window. Should he really look so exposed in a SWAT car she doubted he won in an auction?
But then thankfully, Edward slowed the van and her white-knuckled grip on the handhold loosened and Stevie cuddled close to her stomach. He apologized, explaining his speed with 'a strict wife'. He looked a little young to have a wife who wasn't with him, but what would she know? Her mom died in childbirth; it's not like she knew what a real family was like. She didn't laugh at what might have been some weird joke. She just glanced at himsearching for the ring that indicated marriage. It wasn't there. Liar she thought, suddenly realizing why the passenger seat is the most dangerous place in the car to sit. The driver gets distracted and what does she have between her and the windshield? A bird she didn't want to injure or kill. Ever.
For a few minutes after that, Chrissy noticed his foot moving forward and back, tied between wanting to speed into Boston and staying within the legal speed limit for her sake. The silence was deafening. So he broke it, asking a very awkward question indeed. But she answered nonetheless, even if she wasn't exactly one for small talk. "Sure. I like..playing games." She gave him a short answer, a half-truth. She never had a ton of time for fun, too busy running from hunters and surviving to worry about amusement, but she had to seem somewhat normal. Especially is he hated mutants the same way the rest of society does. Sometimes, though, if she feels like she deserves a bit of laughter, she might play harmless tricks on kids in a park somewhere. little games, if you will.
"What about you? Any special hobbies?" She asked, switching the topic back to him in case he asked more information of her.

"I simply call him Nosalis." Stepping forward quickly, although cautiously and confident, Baker took her hand for a warm handshake, that betrayed nothing of what he might feel or think. Not an enthusiastic handshake, but not an anti-social's handshake.

"I am Howard Baker. If you have heard of me, I applaud you, in that the Government keeps me from the public eye, even as they hunt me. If you have not heard of me, then I congratulate you. I am not a person that one would normally want to meet." I tilt my head to the side. "My companion has taken an interest in you, so perhaps I will as well."

And throughout his entire dialogue, his voice remained calm, impassive, apathetic, as if he were talking about the weather, or a new neighbor.

Xypher shakes his hand her grip gentle but strong. "Nosalis? Thats an interesting name" She cant help but smile at his interesting dialogue folding her arms across her chest she giggles softly. "Nice to meet you Mr. Baker. Sorry to say but I have not heard of you though I would like to get to know you better. Nosalis too if your interested that is" She was curious of this what seems to be apathetic man. She had a feeling there was more than meets the eye when it came to him.

Ross ran through the streets, invisible, escaping everyone. She could hear a few people whispering, "Mutant." When they witnessed the brown haired green eyed girl turn invisible right in front of their eyes. It's not my fault, I can't control it. She slowly slipped into her ghost form while invisible, 1, 2, 3 And then she could fly, she could lift her feet off the ground and soar past heads. Hopeful nobody would remember what Ross looked like as they witnessed her mutant powers, that way she could just go a mile or so away and nobody would ever have to know. Hopefully everyone could just forget her.

A small green park past under Ross as she flew in the sky, she came to a stop and decided she would return to the park. It seemed like a nice green place to take a rest. So she landed behind a tree, looked around carefully, then turned visible and returned to her human form. Ross sighed a sigh of relief, her whole chest collapsing in as she pressed her back to the tree and slid down carefully. She wrapped her knees up to her forehead and cried just one tear. "I didn't mean to. I don't mean to be this way." She spoke to herself and looked up slightly to see a ghost rabbit. The corner of Ross's mouth twitched into a smile as she walked the bunny hop around her feet. "You wouldn't guess I'm nineteen, huh? Crawled up against a tree and talking to myself. I'm often told I don't act my age." She talked to the bunny who actually seemed like a good listener. Most ghosts listened, they liked the fact that Ross could see them and give them companionship.

"You know, I act this way probably because I first started seeing ghosts at age fourteen," She let one of her pale hands fall in front of the bunny so it could sniff her, even though she was sure in her human form it couldn't actually smell her, "It's like I started to slowly freeze in this age. Even though I didn't actually turn into a ghost until I was seventeen. I think I grow at a slower rate though. But that's just a theory. It's not like I can test this with other people like me. I'm alone." Ross laughed a pathetic laugh directed towards herself as she watched the bunny. Here she was in the middle of the day, in the mass of confusion and chaos currently striking the world, talking to a ghost bunny. "I wonder what it would be like to know people like me. Mutants. Maybe then I," Ross paused, "I don't know. I don't know what I want. I have all these ghosts friends, and technically my brother residing inside of me, and I've never felt this alone," Ross then whispered, "I just don't want to be alone anymore." Ross pulled her hand back up to her side and put her head down on her knees. For the first time in a long time Ross was actually sad, a sad she couldn't talk herself out of. Most of the time whenever she had reasons to be sad she just talked herself right out of it and would smile again. It was out of her character to be sad for longer then five minutes.

The bunny curled up next to Ross, it couldn't really touch her since she wasn't in her ghost form, but Ross could still sense the love of the bunny and the companionship. Maybe she could talk herself out of being sad.

• Love
Reactions: Pyralithia
Xypher looked around thinking she heard a girl near her and Baker, but most of the people had ran away in fear of Nosalis. Curious she goes toward where she heard the girls voice looking around she sees a large tree, slowly walking over to it she looks behind it seeing a brown haired girl curled up against the tree. Xypher frowns "Hey there, is everything okay? Im sorry I dont mean to pry or anything you just look like you may need a friend. Or at least someone to talk to, my name is Xypher". She holds her hand out to the girl her voice friendly and warm as she smiles softly. Xypher hated to see anyone in pain physical, mental, or emotional.​

Reactions: 2 people
Ross heard footsteps, then heard a voice. Was this person talking to her? Ross looked up to see a golden blonde haired women. "I'm sorry. You're," Ross stopped, of course she was talking to Ross, "Xypher. Not saying that you're because you obviously know you're Xypher." Ross talks fast when she gets nervous and she will blurt out anything that comes to her mind. Ross decided to take Xypher's hand and shake it, "I'm Ross. Pleased to meet you." Ross then stood up, a bit clumsily, to meet Xypher in the eyes. "I'm alright. Mostly. It's just a long day and weird things are happening. To me," Ross paused for a second, she hated how open she was with strangers, "and, you know, to everyone else in this world." Ross laughed nervously, you could tell she was a little off. Talking to humans was much different then talking to ghosts, even the ones that came from hundreds and hundreds of years ago were easier to talk to then humans.

• Love
Xypher smiles at the girls obvious nervousness and uneasiness with talking to her. She shakes Ross's hand gently "Nice to meet you too Ross, ya weird things tend to happen to me as well. Sometimes it sucks and sometimes its intriguing, if you would like to talk about it im a pretty good listener and I dont judge EVER." Her voice is soft as she stares into the girls green eyes curiously, she felt like this girl was different....Maybe she was a mutant? But she couldnt very well ask the girl that, she wasnt THAT prying. Xypher leans against the tree on her side her shoulder against it casually.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"Weird things are happening everywhere. And the its all connected to mutants," and now Ross's curiosity suddenly over came her, "in the matter of mutants, where do you stand?" Ross very well knew this could be a dangerous question. Some people didn't like to talk about mutants, Ross had been thrown out a store before for asking a clerk about her opinion. Bad things happened to those who liked mutants or were mutants, but it didn't stop Ross from being curious. No feeling is worse then being curious and not being able to investigate and solve your curiosity.

• Love
Edward could have laughed at Crissy's equally awkward answer. So it's settled. We're both uncomfortable and lack social skills. "Well, I suppose Gardening is it. Back home, I'd spend weeks in the garden just to move in a new flower. Probably the only kid at the high school that got excited over weeding. Aw man, South Thompson had the best weather this time of the year. Always sunny and warm, but never stifling. It was perfectly easy to grow just about anything in its soil, especially tomatoes. Those things grew like weeds." Edward smiled subtly at such a positive recollection, but stopped himself. Must be boring the crap out of Crissy. Surprised she hasn't jumped ship yet. Edward re-focused all his attention on the road. Boston was on the next exit, and he needed to be sure he hit the right street once inside. Remember, start off on main street, then carry on to South Hampton lane. That's where police lost the so called Deus and his crew.

Edward once again tried to keep the conversation going by asking, "So, you said you like playing games, right? Is this where your mischievous side peeks, or did you mean like Parcheesi?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I step out from behind a tree nearby, walking around it until my back is to the tree, and Xypher and the other newcomer is in front of me. With the same apathetic, calm, blank voice and eyes, I say, "We're both mutants. Xypher has something to do with water, but I doubt you'd be able to guess what mine is." The Nosalis follows my path, laying down again, this time much more tensed as he'd usually be, when around people.

Reactions: ≈Evërlastiπg≈
Xypher scowls at Baker "Pff how do you know? I could be a nymph for all you know" her voice is teasing. She looks back at Ross smiling softly "I stand with whoever I believe is right, mutant or human it doesnt matter to me. We all have souls" she shrugs hoping Ross wasnt too frightened with her and Baker's declaration.

Chrissy smiled, keeping her eyes on the road in front of them. His hobby was a little unexpected considering he took a SWAT van and nearly ran into her with it, but she's not really one to judge what kind of guy a gardener is. It seemed to be his passion in life. The way he described gardening..it made her feel nice that there are some people who really do enjoy simple things like her. She may have commented, but she was preoccupied watching Stevie grow brave enough to explore a little, fluttering up to the dashboard in front of her. Chrissy kept her eyes on the bird, making sure it wouldn't hop left enough to block part of Edward's view of the road.
But then he switched the subject back to her and she wondered again if she should lie. "Um..I guess I like board games. I just haven't played in-awhile." She bit the inside of her cheek for a second, flashing back to the time Chrissy forced Ms. Cladray to play games with her all day. She had a few asthma attacks that day, but she kept playing, so Chrissy hadn't considered what she'd done. "Little pranks can be fun though. As long as they don't really hurt anyone."

I knew it. I seem to have a little trouble maker riding shotgun. Edward smiled to himself as he asked, "Oh, only little pranks?" Edward the focused on the road, noting how close Main street was. He turned left onto it, then stopped suddenly. All of Main street was closed off from the public with mobile fence and police barricade. Damn! They're still closing off the crash site? Visibly annoyed Edward punched the dashboard a few times, shouting a few profanities. "Ugggh! How can they still close off the ENTIRE destruction area? Oh man...." I hoped I could find out about Deus from the destruction he caused. But with things closed off, I'll have to relay on eye witness testimoney. Which is always unreliable. "Sorry... about that. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do so much walking. Now I have to visit the police station to ask questions. People are already rallying behind the idea of hunting more mutants. Asking witnesses will just waste time, as they all swear mutants are the scourge of America, along with other nonsense." This just going to be one long trip. I would probably do better going to the library ad checking out various news sites. Edward moaned as his head sunk into his lap. He raised his head back up so he could start thinking, then saw behind the van was a park. It seemed secluded, as no cars were parked around it. Only an hour, I swear. "Hey, would you mind if we went to the park for a minute. I want to clear my head and think on where to go next."

A very small smile cracked onto Chrissy's face at his first question as she looked out her side window at the roads leading up to Main Street. She had just been wondering where they were going in Boston and apparently it was something dangerous that Edward had wanted to investigate, because there seemed to be a whole area of the city blocked off by barricades and police for some reason. This evidently angered Edward and Stevie gave a surprised chirp before fluttering back to the farthest shoulder from Edward on the passenger side, while the 13 year old watched in stunned silence and confusion. What happened to cause so much destruction of Boston?
When he apologized for his loud outburst, Chrissy relaxed slightly and listened closely to any information he'd give on the topic of this destructive event. When he mentioned mutants, Chrissy bit her lip nervously, afraid of the millions of humans who would kill her if they knew what she was. But by the way Edward spoke of them, she gathered that he didn't harbor such prejudice and for that, she was very relieved. For he was either a rare mutant like her or one of the odd humans who actually defended mutants. Chrissy was pretty sure it was more likely that he was a mutant. I mean, it did seem like it by the way he'd most likely lied about the van and he didn't have a ring on his ring finger.
The bearded man calmed down a bit, requested they go to the park, and Chrissy gave him a slight half smile, meeting his eyes like polite people do. "No problem, let's go." Stevie would enjoy the park. She always does. As soon as the car door opened, the little robin fluttered about in the open air and stayed pretty close to Chrissy on the way to the secluded park, following Edward.

Edward regained his optimism, and quickly drove away from main street. He failed to notice Crissy's pet fly out he window, as he glanced through the rear view mirror. Edward could see police running to and fro behind the fence, each one acting like the catastrophe just occurred. Hell, maybe they're still rescuing people. Naw. More likely that the road is collapsing. Edward stopped as a jerk sped past at an asinine speed. He then pulled across the street, and into the park. He glanced around, astounded at how lucky he was to pull into a good spot. Edward saw that the whole lot was empty, leaving him to feel a little lonely. I thought these places were usually packed with screaming kids and douche bags in track suits. "I feel like I should tell you some sort of Paternal warning, but you seem capable. Play where you like, but I'm going to hang out in the flower garden. In an hour, I'll head back to the van. If you want to, you can hop back in. I plan to spend the rest of the day at a hotel. I'm sure I can find a room with two beds if need. If not..." Edward cut himself off. I never really thought about what to do with Crissy. I guess I'll keep an eye out for her. Maybe I could find a separate bed at the Days Inn. If she wants to go off on her own, I don't think I could really stop her.

From Baker's Point of View...
I scowl slightly, just a tiny hint of emotion, one of slight confusion and surprise. Then it's gone, and I say, "And how can you be so sure there is a soul in everyone?" Despite my ever-present apathy, something has already changed. I feel the urge to find out more... curiosity?

Ross felt a moment of terror when the second person appeared. Suddenly she could breath as she learned they too. Were mutants. Ross giggled as the two King of argued, "It's true. You never know what a person can do or what they are. Though yours had to do something with animals," Ross directed at Baker as she saw the creature appear. Unafraid though, when you lived in a world of ghosts nothing was as scary.

"Everyone has a soul. I would know, because souls become ghosts. And there is everything from animal to human in the ghost world. If you didn't have a soul," Ross giggled at her own thought, slightly tilted her head and continued, "then you would be just dead when you die. And that's not a good ending."

((Why don't you ever spell Chrissy with an h?))

Chrissy stiffened as a speeding car passed the van, which may look kind of conspicious in an empty park parking lot. But that wasn't exactly her problem so she kept an eye on Stevie out the window, feeling the rush of wind blowing her braids back.
She smirked at his parental urge and looked at the park through the windshield. She'd wander into the woods and let Stevie take the lead. And that's what she did. "Okay. Thanks, Edward." She said, giving him a glance before heading out of the van and sprinting beneath Stevie with a smile as she flapped her little wings beneath the branches of the trees. She wasn't sure if she would go back to Edward or not. She could weigh the pros and cons later because for kids like her, an hour is all the time in the world.
After a little while of dashing under the leaves and sprinting in the sunshine, trying her best to leave her troubles behind her swift feet, Stevie stopped and sat on her shoulder and it took her a moment to realize why. She heard voices. Some girl spoke of the dead and seeing the souls. Chrissy found she was a mutant and wondered if she should reveal herself. She was about to walk away when Stevie chose for her.
The little robin, apparently feeling a bit less shy around Xypher, fluttered in front to her face, examining the girl curiously.
Chrissy chased after with no hesitation, bursting through the bushes yelling, "Stevie! Don't fly off like that I--" Chrissy cut herself off, examining the group of people with curiosity and a hint of fear upon spotting the Nosalis. Stevie heard her friend's call and fluttered to her shoulder, nuzzling against her cheek as the short girl watched the others warily, trying to measure the strength of their minds with her powerful gaze.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.