INTEREST CHECK They Go In | Wildland Firefighters | Interest Check | drama, action, romance

AshenAngel

Edgeknight
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
  5. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Whenever I can get on.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Comedy, Medieval, Romance, Sci-Fi, Modern

They Go In

"Fighting fire is just hard, boring work punctuated by sheer terror."

The protection of human life is the first priority for firefighters. In the northern portion of Idaho, the numerous state and national forests are monitored by the Knowlton Wildland Fire Team. The team consists of several components; hotshots, smokejumpers, and aerial firefighting pilots who work in conjunction with local paramedics and officials during fire season in order to prevent loss of life and property. These people go in when everyone else is rushing out.

Area Guide

The area that our characters operate out of is a large swath of protected forest with many mountains and valleys which can become perilous during severe weather. Home Base is tucked away in a quiet valley, near a small town and one of the entrances to a large national forest. It's mostly sheltered from strong winds and storms tend to blow over and drop beyond the next ridge.

There are a couple dangerous bugs and animals to be aware of. Black widows, brown recluses, and hobo spiders are common. Keeping things clean and dusted often is the best way to keep them away from your space. There are three kinds of rattlesnakes known to live in Idaho, and all of them will mess you up; the Great Basin rattlesnake isn't typically found in the area, but there have been occasional reports of one, prairie rattlesnakes are slightly more heard of in area, and the Northern Pacific rattlesnake is also occasionally reported. There are mountain lions in the area. Black bears are more common, though it is possible to spot a grizzly bear out in the mountains.

Home Base provides housing to the team during fire season in order to rapidly respond to incidents. There is an airfield and hangars for the aircraft used by the team. It also has a large workout facility with a couple training simulators. There is a small medical office attached to the workout facility. Next to the workout facility is the Tower. The Tower is an outdoor training ground for smokejumpers to practice jumping and landing techniques without having to get a plane in the air, complete with ziplines, a let down area, and a shock tower. Every individual on the team has their own apartment at Home Base. They form the upper floor of the building that contains both a cafeteria and recreation hall.

Roles on the Team

The story will revolve around our fire team, these are the main characters of this roleplay.​
  • Aerial firefighters fly aircraft to support ground resources in combating wildfires. They drop retardant and supplies as needed.​
  • Hotshots are highly specialized and experienced ground crew of about 20 firefighters that excel in making fire lines by hand. They are somewhat frequently deployed by helicopter to quickly arrive at the fire. They will always have lookouts responsible for watching the fire and ensuring their group's safety. They often travel large distances to provide support on multiple fires. There is a fully trained medic that gets sent out with them, and they all have basic first aide training. Their hotshot certification is tested annually.​
  • Smokejumpers are trained to parachute into remote areas in order to combat wildfires using hand tools. They have supplies dropped to them which allow them to stay self-sufficient on a fire for 48 hours. They operate in teams of about six and have to get recertified annually. They all have basic first aide training.​

Supporting Cast

These characters flesh out the world that our fire team will interact with and give the story meaning beyond our main characters. These are the people they serve and rely upon to keep doing what they do best.
  • Local residents to the area our team operates in.
  • Family members of team members that might come to visit.
  • Support crew at home base, including resident aircraft mechanics and groundskeepers.
  • Fire watch tower workers.

Rules
  • Effectively communicate with your fellow roleplayers. If there is an issue or if you're struggling to make a post, let us know and we will help you choke slam your writer's block and throw it out a 7th story window.​
  • Post length can vary given the situation and what you have to work with, but please try to get at least two solid paragraphs in per post. Make sure that you include content in your post that allows for others to build off of it. If it doesn't, then it might as well not exist in the first place.​
  • Activity is a must. Should you ghost on the roleplay, your character will be taken over as an NPC, and shall serve as whatever plot device I see fit. Whether they suffer an injury, get killed, or decide that that they no longer wish to be on the team, they will be subtly removed from the roleplay and we will continue on without you.​
  • If you know you're gonna be unavailable for a period of time, let us know beforehand and try to find a way to temporarily disengage your character(s) from interaction before you disappear. That way your characters can come back later with minimal difficulty.​
  • There are physical tasks that your characters must be able to complete in order to be a smokejumper or hotshot. Please consider this when creating your characters.​
  • No perfect characters, your characters can get hurt if they do something stupid or outside the realm of human capability. Put 'Blaze It' in the Other section of your character sheet.​
  • The primary focus will be on the firefighting team during the fires. Your main characters will be on the team, your supporting characters will not be.​

Welcome to the interest check for my wildland firefighter rp interest check. Wildland firefighting is a special interest of mine and I'd love to share all my research and goodies with all of you, so if the topic seems intimidating, I promise I'll post the cliffnotes to help give you a better understanding. I'm looking for a decent sized cast to run this roleplay, probably around 10 main characters to give everyone a good spread of interaction with each aspect of the team. That being said, multiple characters are welcome and appreciated, and you guys are also welcome to add supporting cast members as well to flesh out our little world.

Last edited:
Oh okay. This sounds pretty fuckin' wicked.

Reactions: AshenAngel
Yeah, this has been on my brain for a looooooong time. Figured it was time to make the plot pay rent.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Lyrikai
im interested 👀

• Love
Yeah, this has been on my brain for a looooooong time. Figured it was time to make the plot pay rent.
Ever since I saw a playthrough of Firewatch a while back, I've always had an itch to write something about firefighting so this is right up my alley 😂
I hope it takes off! I'm so here for it

Firewatch was a good one. I modded a couple livestreams of it.

• Love
Interested!

Reactions: AshenAngel
What sort of characters were you guys thinking of making? Trying to gauge how many more people we'll be needing before kicking off an actual signup/ooc.

Reactions: angielackswings
What sort of characters were you guys thinking of making? Trying to gauge how many more people we'll be needing before kicking off an actual signup/ooc.
I was wanting my main char to be an aerial firefighter, and I can play supporting chars too ofc

also, are we allowed to be siblings or family members with other main chars? if so would anyone here want their char to be siblings or a family member with my char

im making an aerial firefighter

I'm going to start working on the signups, link will be posted and added to the top of the thread once it's ready.

Huzzah!! :D Also I forgot to answer your question cuz I'm a doof.
I was thinking either a hotshot or a smokejumper myself for a character

Signups are open, and I also posted the reference guide for all my google deep dives into the subject. Links are in the first post.

• Love
Reactions: angielackswings
Love love loveeeee this idea!!!! One of my favourite type of worlds to play with along with the slice of life genre