The Unclaimed World

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We're all hiding something," Aia snapped, as Lano snorted threateningly. "You should know, princeling." She swung back up into her saddle, staring down at him from the back of her rjoran. "And I'm heading through the forest, and then I'll see where I go from there."

You should just go. Ride away. Now, a voice in the back of her head hissed, but another one joined in. No, that's rude. You don't just turn your back on royalty. Especially rich royalty trying to run away from home.

So Aia sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "The pillars of light contain magic. Whoever gets there first gains the magic, and is blessed with the power of the gods," she explained. "Which is why I say avoid it. Everything comes with a price."

Zielento(Zie for writing reasons) stopped to rest, his legs aching from running, he knew he had two choices, rest here in the open, and get caught, or fly to the nearby forest. Zie knew these lands well so he knew the forest was not far away, but he was afraid that he would be caught if he were to leap into the air and fly to shelter, just like his brother he would be killed if caught.

He stood motionless for a few seconds befor spreading his great wings and leaping into the sky. As he flew his hands pulled out both his katanas out of there sheaths, one and then the other. He trusted his swordsmanship to protect him if he was caught.

As he flew he came to the forest, he saw the great free of the forest and dived in, he buried himself into the tree, hoping he wouldn't be caught. As he looked around, he saw three things, a red figure in the tree and others on the ground, the branches were blocking his vision and he could not tell what the were saying for he was just recovering from a defining explosion.

Aila was jumping from tree to tree in the great forests, not with any specific destination in mind. She just needed to get away from the village for some time. Her people were celebrating the return of spring, which was always a huge deal with them. It wasn't that she didn't like it, it was just that one could only stand it, the music and shouting and whatever else, for so long. She leaps to another tree before pausing and climbing up higher to assess her location. She knew these woods well, and it was only natural that she did, having lived in the area for as long as she has. She climbs as high as she can before looking around. The giant tree was to her left, dwarfing all the surrounding trees as usual. Something was off, though, as evidenced by the red figure in the tree. She thought for a moment before muttering, "Might as well...", climbing back down and continuing her traveling, altering her direction so she was heading to the giant tree.

Zie did not here aila coming, but he did see her figure dash towards the tree. In fear that she might be part of the council of his people, the ones that killed his family he pulled his katanas back out and crouched down hoping not to be seen.

Aila stops again when she's closer to the tree. Her ears twitch, and she glances around. She thought that she heard something, but she wasn't sure what, nor did she see anything at first glance . She turns her gaze back to the tree, standing on the branch she stopped on, this time paying slightly more attention to her surroundings.

Zie watches her closely, once she is close enogh he sees that she is not a council meme er, but he keeps the swords out i case she means him harm

ναєяєи

The woods seemed quiet for a period of time. Peaceful. There was a strange feeling in the air that lifted the weight from her heart and the worries from her shoulders. Simply walking sent a comforting feeling all over her being. Of course, she knew what this was - the reawakening of the gods. They would come forth and redeem the world of it's beauty and wonder. It was definitely Vae's favorite time, especially now as she traveled through the very trees that seemed to even lift a tad, leaves greener, standing taller. A soft smile touched her lips. It was truly a beautiful world out here, and she was happy that she had made the decision to leave her confining home and explore it.

But at that moment, before she could delve into her past and ponder about it, she felt eyes on her. Immediately, her steps froze. It was an instinct - freeze until you spot the predator, and then go into defense mode. Her eyes flicked around wildly, her hand resting on the handle of her dagger. And then, as she looked for the source, she heard a quiet, yet rough voice call to her.

"If you are what you look like ... "

She spun, her dagger whipping out of it's sheath as she crouched into a warning stance. It was a man, who was approaching her hesitantly. He continued what he was apparently going to ask, and he said in an equally soft voice, " ... would you kindly help a poor soul with a broken wrist?"

She hesitated. He had a weapon on him, but his wrist did look swollen, and he looked in pain. She slowly went out of her stance, carefully sheathing the dagger (but still keeping her hand near it, just in case) and saying, " ... Yes, I can. Go sit by that tree - " She pointed to a tree near to them that had a thick, large trunk, " - and remove your weapon." She waited for the man to comply, her arms crossing over her bare chest. If he truly was that desperate, and smart, he would do what she said. Only a robber or a murderer would try to find a way around that.

- | -

Seriven

Some minutes passed as he watched the night grow darker. He snapped awake, blinking sleepily. He seemed to have dozed off. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, trying to get the sleep out of them. Find a proper place to sleep, you animal. With a soft sigh, he stood on his branch, balancing himself, and crouched to hop to the next one that he saw, one that led him further into the forest. Leaves fluttered and below, you could see the slight shifting of branches as he reawakened his muscles. It was fun to travel tree-to-tree, especially up so high. He eventually decided to just get into the air and look for somewhere close by. If he came up with nothing, he's just find a comfy tree and sleep there.

He began hopping up higher, until he came to the top of one of the trees. With a deep breath of the crisp night air, he coiled his muscles and leaped skyward, his wings flapping to get him into the air. His eyes searched ahead, and he began his flight once more, taking a strong wing-beat forward and getting into a steady speed.

Lucky for him, Seriven didn't travel without money. A belt was around his waist, one that held a few bags of accumulated money in them. He would look for small jobs whenever he could find them, but with his odd talent, that could sometimes be difficult. It seemed like each town had at least one shop like that, though, and he had some materials around even naturally.
After a few minutes, the harpy decided to land, dipping down towards a tree and latching onto the top branch. He rhythmically hopped downwards from branch to branch until his feet hit the ground, where he crouched and regained the feeling of ground instead of branches. He folded in his wings neatly, tail relaxed, as he began to walk, the magenta hue of his eyes almost glowing in the darkness. He held a slight grin and a calm atmosphere.

More time passed. He became lost in his own thoughts. He knew that coming out there was his only option. He would have stayed, if not for ... well, he didn't like to think about that. No, move on to something happier. The gods were here now to fill the lands with their beautiful energy. He'd have to partake in some of the festivities, if he ever managed to come across a village or town that was celebrating it. He loved the vibes that the reawakening times gave to people; everybody was jubilant and thankful. The grin, which had faded in light of the past thoughts, became strong again.

All of a sudden, he was snapped from his thoughts at the sound of a young voice calling out, "M-mama, papa!" He stopped in his tracks, his eyes glancing around the area. It sounded like a little girl, and judging from what the voice said, it more than likely was exactly that. But what species? He glanced to and fro, until he spotted something stumbling along near to him - a small figure.

He stalked quietly over, hiding behind a tree and poking his head out to get a better view. The girl looked definitely human; she had long hair a bright orange, and her frantic eyes appeared brown. Must be lost, he thought. With a small step from behind the tree, he called out softly to the girl, " ... Hello there."

She gasped and spun, stumbling back and falling back. With a couple of careful steps, he was in full view, and the girl said in a small, trembling voice, "No, p-please don't eat me!"

The harpy nearly laughed at that. A light smile came to his expression. "Nah, I won't eat you, no worries. I'm no danger to ya." To prove it, he plopped down onto the ground in a sitting position, getting to her level. She was very small in comparison to him.

The girl seemed hesitant, and he couldn't blame her. She approached him, a light of curiosity flaring up in her eyes, replacing the fear. She stood only a couple of feet from him, saying in a hushed voice, "Whoa. You have wings!" She ran behind him and placed her little hands on one of the folded appendages on his back. "Yes, I most certainly do." His tone was light-hearted and worry-free. She stroked the feathers and stared at the wing, almost entranced by it.

She then looked up and walked back around to where he was facing. He took that chance to ask her something. "Well, I'm Seriven. What's your name?" He stretched out his hand to her, and she backed up a tad before responding quietly, " ... Merle. Merle Jyvens." She paused before placing her hand on his, and he shook it delicately.

"And what are you doing out in the forest on your own, Merle? Where are your parents?"

She blinked, looking down at the ground sheepishly. "I dunno ... I can't find Mama or Papa. It's scary being alone." She did a careful glance behind her as she said that, and Seriven's heart melted. The poor girl. He felt a weird obligation then, to help this little girl find her home. I mean, what was he gonna do, wish her a good evening and walk away? Hell no. That was the most heartless thing to do.

He did a jolly little grin and said, "If you'd like, I could help you find your parents." The girl hesitated again, saying quietly, " ... Mama said I shouldn't go with strangers." With a lopsided smile, the harpy replied, "If you don't want to, I won't make you, I promise."

There was a silence before the girl seemed to decide, and she said, "I'll ... come with you."

Seriven's expression lit up, and he stood again, allowing the girl to come beside him. She reached up and held his hand, her gaze moving around them cautiously. He simply allowed it as they began to walk. He had to match his pace with hers, but it wasn't a big deal.

The two walked through the forest together, while Merle asked him questions like "What are you, mister Seriven?" and "Are there monsters, mister Seriven?" He responded cheerily, trying to keep the little girl in high spirits. He promised that if there were any monsters, he'd make sure they couldn't get to her, and that made her smile the most adorably large smile. After some time of little conversations with the young girl, he saw a break in the trees, and there were a couple of people talking - one on a horse, the other on their feet.

He cleared his throat and called over to them, "Excuse me! Over there!" He approached them, and Merle let go of his hand, hiding behind him. Once he had gotten one of the peoples' attention, he asked, "I have a lost little one here by the name of Merle Jyvens. Does that ring a bell with either of ya?" The girl hid behind his leg, tentatively poking her head out to look at the new people. Seriven's tone was light and casual. Neither of them looked really sketchy - maybe the one on the horse, with her strangely ringed tail and ears, and the contrasting color of her eyes. But at any rate, it was people, and if they seemed suspicious, he'd just move on with Merle and look somewhere else.​

The gold of Amarok's eyes flashed briefly in the lantern light. He should have known it was a bad idea to ask such an invasive question, but the curiosity of a young Iluti was an overpowering force. "The forest is enormous, and goes on for a pretty long time. You sure you can handle it?" In case she asked, he made sure to note that he wasn't doubting her, but that the forest was vast and much too large to venture into without a well drawn out map from an experienced hand. And no one was more experienced with this woods than himself.

Amarok sighed shortly through his nose, pinching the bridge as he thought. "Then that means there will be others after the same power as me. I'll need to get going, in that case," he murmured, running a hand along his chin. "I can't just go back with nothing to show for it-- and the price is little. Not even death, if it comes to that." Iluti were strong-willed and determined folk with few fears-- the threat of suffering and death was daunting, but throwing them off their course would take a much more personal blow.

The iluti was about to continue when another voice caught his attention instead, harmless and questioning. He quickly turned to face the forest from where it originated to catch sight of a rather strange fellow of some indeterminate race, flanked by a smaller figure he figured was the owner of the name. Winged, by the feathers, but he couldn't recall a name to fit those wings. "Merle...?" He repeated the name and tried to match it to a face. Certainly not sharp or fiery, like an iluti name.

He shook his head, despite the fact that the stranger near the forest would likely not be able to catch the motion. "Not a bell to be rung here, nope," he called back between cupped hands, glancing briefly behind him at the kell. "Do you recognize the name?"

Aia frowned. "No. No I do not," she replied, still miffed by his earlier comment. "And I passed through here around a year ago." Lano grunted in affirmation, munching on the bush beside them.

She considered his other comment, her frown disappearing for a moment. "Some people may be heading towards it, though the general idea is whoever gets there first gets the undisputed right to take the power." Of course, sometimes there were skirmishes, some of which Aia had been unfortunate enough to witness (though they did make great topics for songs).

"You know what?" she said, biting her lip in thought. "I don't think I'll go through the forest after all. I'm coming with you." She'd follow this Iluti just long enough until they were far enough away from the city, and then she'd rob him blind and live happily for the next fifty years. Her mouth twisted into a small smirk at the thought.

"Still, the woods change. Always do." He had been told as much on his last hunting trip by the Head Hunter. The trees move and the ground shifts, and not even the animals remained in place by the end of it. The sad thing was, nobody ever noticed and went in anyway, getting themselves horribly lost in the process. So they made maps, special maps that changed with the forest, and the number of losses went down significantly.

Amarok shifts on his feet, his tail flicking in anticipation for the journey ahead. "Then it's like I said: I'll need to get their first. And since the nearest one isn't far from these walls, doing that shouldn't be too hard." He'd need a plan, of course, but coming up with something wouldn't be difficult. Perhaps he'd call Othen-- the draken was incredibly fast, but Amarok wouldn't be riding him for the whole journey. Too uncomfortable, so perhaps for half the journey. This could work.

"You... will?" Her change of plans came as a shock to the iluti. How fickle, he thought. Do I really want someone like that accompanying me?

He shook his head. "The way you spoke of these lights, you sounded uninterested. Forgive me if I found it... difficult to believe you first hand." He did consider it-- two people could carry more supplies than one, and the company of a stranger would always be fresh and welcome. "Why not-- I suppose there isn't much reason for me to turn you back. Until we get there, we're friends. I can't promise that I'll be as pleasant when we reach one of these wells of power."

The iluti turned his attention back over to the strange figure and his companion, who he now knew to be a young girl. He wondered, briefly, what a young girl would be doing in the woods without a parent or guardian, other than the feathered one that had caught their attention. "Bring her over!" He shouted, waving the pair over. "Perhaps I can help, somehow..." He didn't know what kind of beings were allowed into the city at this time, but perhaps if it was a child... just the child could enter.

Amarok lifted his head suddenly and whistled sharply into the wind, a high pitched tune that would travel far until it reached the draken territories not far from here. "Othen will be here shortly, then we can get going."

Aia bit back a smile. People were too trusting. Not that she minded. "And who are you talking to?" she asked, turning in the direction he was facing, before her mouth formed an 'O' shape. Why are there so many people out and about tonight? she wondered, then faced back towards the Iluti. "I'm Aia," she told him, sticking out a gloved hand.

Aia hated the gloves, but most people reacted badly to the swirling marks on her arms. It was simpler just to keep them hidden. She wished she could do the same for her eyes and tail, but a cowled cloak usually worked well enough.

The iluti may trust her for now, but she'd have to be gone by the time they reached the light. Otherwise, her stealth and basic fighting skills would be rendered useless.

Zie leaps out of the tree, breaking a wing in the process and flys as far as he can befor falling to the ground near amarok

Aia let out a small scream and nearly fell off of Lano as something crashed into the ground not 6 feet from her. "What the hell?" she shrieked, clutching onto the rjoran's wooly fur to stay on top of it.

"Damit" zie slowly stood up, his left wing drooping. Sorry, I'm zielento. I didn't meen to startle you, and yu are

Aia shrieked again. "It talks! What is it?" she asked, her eyes wide and her hand surreptitiously reaching for the knife at her belt while Lano pawed at the ground and snorted threateningly.

He may have wondered the same thing-- why so many had shown themselves near the walls of his home. With an amused bob of his head, he took her hand in his own and shook it firmly. "Amarok." For now, any and all princely titles were dropped in favor of a simple, easy to remember name that the kell could call him by. "Nice to meet you, Aia." Amarok was about to turn and face the coming draken -- as Othen enjoyed surprising him from the shadows -- when, instead, a figure fell from the brightening sky and startled him into a defensive pose, his eyes wide and searching.

"What the...? Syrth, what happened?" The fellow who'd fallen looked... terrible. Human in appearance, yet at the same time no more human than he himself was. He glanced briefly at Aia. "A person, apparently," he said, scooting slowly towards the fallen... man? "Oi, what brings you way out into Iluti territory, stranger?"

" like I said I am zielento, you can call me zie, I am a trendon, and please take your hands away from the knife" as he said this his own hands reached for the katanas orotund his pants " and I'm fleeing from people trying to hunt me"

Aia took her hand away from the knife, while Lano let out a very un-sheeplike snarl, revealing sharp, block-like teeth. She narrowed her grey-pink eyes, and said icily, "You should take your own advice, Trendon."

Zie raised his hands away from the blades" I was simply preparing for the worst, now I have shared my name it is only respectful to share yours"

Status
Not open for further replies.