The Trouble with Duty.

• Thread starter Eve lilith Angelson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura watched as the shooting star went across the sky now attached to her ceiling, she couldn't help the smile she seamed to be rotted to the spot just watching to see what she could see. Aura knew that Mist's illusions could cause mayhem and death but to see him create something of such beauty surprised her immensely.

Shaking her head to get herself moving, she walked underneath the stars and smiled as she did so, "I know you don't care but this" she said pointing to the once boring white ceiling "Is amazing, you should be proud of yourself." With that she walked out of the room and in to the kitchen where the thermostat was. But now she had seen the moonlit sky she was calm so instead of hitting it she turned the dial so it would come on more often and hopefully the water should now start to last so they could both keep clean. While she was in the kitchen she grabbed a glass of water for herself and Mist.

Once back in the front room she placed one glass at his side "Just in case you needed something to drink in the night." Aura walked away with one last glance at the star filled sky, and walked up to her room where she laid awake and let her emotions come to the forefront with quite tears running down her face she rolled over and cuddled up to her pillow. Aura was not feeling tired so she just laid there and thought about everything in to much detail as was her normal way of dealing with emotions.

What very few people knew about Mist was that he'd made beautiful illusions almost all the time when he wasn't out causing mayhem. The few people who had visited his place of residence while he'd still been a villain could tell some stories of the wondrous illusions he'd crafted within his home, making the place look absolutely beautiful despite the actual decor. He liked being surrounded by beauty. It was calming for him.

He whispered a quiet, "Thank you," when Aura gave him a glass of water, then turned his attention back on the starry illusion. Aura was going to bed, it seemed, but Mist was afraid to sleep. He'd gotten lucky earlier when he'd taken that nap without incident, but a full night of sleep would undoubtedly contain nightmares. He'd woken from nightmares in the middle of the night many, many times in prison. He doubted here would be any different.

In the end, his own tiredness won out. He fell asleep on the couch again, and the illusion he'd made faded away into nothingness once Mist was no longer maintaining it. He slept peacefully for a couple hours, but then his slumber took a turn for the worse. The nightmares began, and he was soon groaning, sweating, and moving about in his sleep.

Aura had fallen asleep and woke up with a jump she had a fleeting image but it was fading to soon for her to work out what had woken her in the first place. As always on awakening air came to her and circled around her body she was naked laying on the bed and her towel had fallen on to the floor. Maybe I woke up from being cold she thought as she stood up and went to her draws and pulled out a pair of short's and a vest top she knew the tattoos she had had done to hide the scars were visible but she was proud of her tattoo's and every one meant something to her.

Once dressed she could hear noise coming from downstairs Mist oh crap whats happened she thought with that she flew down the stairs and saw Mist moving around his bed and she could see the sweat falling from him he must be having a nightmare. Aura thought as she got closer not even thinking about her safety.

"Mist,Mist HEY MIST wake up please" Aura didn't want him having to relive everything not this early as much as she knew there was nothing she could do for him she still felt like she had to do something. Getting closer she sent air to him to try and calm him and using the her most calming voice she called to him.
"Mist, listen to me your not there any more you are safe now, just relax," she kept repeating the words over in hope it would help.

Even with Aura's efforts to wake him, it still took a few minutes for Mist to escape from his nightmare. He awoke harshly with a scream, sitting up abruptly and shaking like a heroin addict in withdrawal. Aura's presence wasn't immediately noticed. If it had been, then Mist would have put some effort into getting his emotions in-check. But since he hadn't noticed her, in the wake of his nightmare and with those horrible memories so fresh in his mind, he buried his face in his hands and cried.

He'd been plagued by bad nightmares even before he'd gone to prison. His early childhood had given him more than enough nightmare fuel to last a lifetime, but prison had made it so much worse. Before prison, at least, he'd never screamed in his sleep or anything quite that extreme. Right now, though, Mist was a complete wreck. And Aura had a front row seat.

Aura felt like she was interrupting something personal she felt awkward she didn't know if to run or stay it was a bit like watch other normal people when there was a major car accident she move but she did put her head down the last thing Mist needed was someone staring at him in his moment of pain.

Aura was glad that he had woken up she knew he didn't really like to be touched and she had very nearly grabbed his shoulders and shook him that would of been a stupid idea.

Aura moved slightly away from him so she wasn't to close but she didn't want to vanish and go back to bed she wanted to make sure he was Ok before she left him. Aura Picked up his glass of water "here you might need this" she knew he hadn't noticed her and now that she had spoken she may well be signing her own death warrant.

Hearing Aura's voice startled him. Mist first instinct before prison would have been to attack, to defend himself. Aura knew that. She'd seen it before. The old Mist would have cast an illusion to protect himself, to lash out at whoever had caught him off-guard.

This Mist, however, did nothing of the sort. Instead of attacking, he cowered on the couch. He curled up, trying to present as small of a target as possible. Even as he was curled up in that little ball, he was still shaking and crying. He couldn't stop.

As much as Aura hated this man she hated even more to see him like this her female instincts were trying to tell her to go to him put her arm around him another part for her was telling her just to leave him too it his fucked up and your not paid enough to deal with it but then a bigger part of her was telling her to just talk to him about anything and what ever came to her mind.

While she was having her internal battle with herself she just sat there with her head down looking at her own legs and the ivy that grow up one of them she tried to count the leaves and all the colour's in it to take her mind off all the ways her body was pulling her.

Keeping air close to her to see if that helped her and Mist to calm down, Aura looked up "Mist I wont hurt you, I promise you have given me no reason to do anything to you, I have sworn to up hold the law yes but you have not broken any laws I may be a Hero but I'am also just me." Not knowing where that came from it just felt like the right thing to say at that moment.

Having been so use to Mist being the complete opposite of what he was now it was hard to see them as one and the same. This Mist needed help and she just hopped she could get it for him, Aura herself hated psychiatrists she had no faith in them and she had seen a fair few over the years and they all just say the same crap but maybe for Mist it will be different.

Over the next several minutes, Mist slowly began to calm down. He was still very shaken, but at least he wasn't crying anymore. Though oddly enough, only the white of his left eye had taken on a pinkish hue from the crying. His right remained as it was before, giving a small hint that it wasn't real.

He took that glass of water and drank it down, trying to calm himself the rest of the way. If he'd had any pride left to be wounded, it would have been decimated by crying in front of Aura. As it was, the very idea of having such pride was almost laughable. It was one of the many things that had been stolen from him in prison.

As Mist took the glass from her she put her head back down "Listen I'am sorry i woke up and then i head you down here, I was down the stairs before I could really think about anything, but I wont say anything to anyone it's not my place, to talk about you behind your back I wouldn't want someone doing that to me so I wouldn't do that to someone else." Aura told Mist very matter of fact.

Looking back up when air came back to her from him to show he was in fact calming down she wanted him to see in her eyes that what she said was true. She hadn't really been around people for this amount of time let alone lived with anyone like she was now she had always been quite a loner, and even more so since she lost the one person she could be herself around.

Mist could barely hold Aura's gaze. He was ashamed of himself, but mostly he feared Aura telling others what she'd seen. Sure she was assuring him she wouldn't, but he'd learned long ago not to trust what people said. People were liars, more often than not. He'd met very few honest people, and he himself wasn't one.

"I imagine you want to know what my nightmare entailed," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. After all, didn't people say that talking about such things helped? Mist thought that was utter bullshit, though. He didn't want to talk about it, but he felt certain that Aura wanted to know what it was she was dealing with. Or, rather, what Mist was dealing with in his own head.

Aura noticed that Mist wouldn't keep her eye contact but that was fine by her but Mist really shocked Aura, yes she wanted to know but she also didn't want to know she had her own stuff she was still working out but if it was going to help him she would listen.

"If you want to tell me I will listen to you, but please don't feel like you have too, I know what it's like to keep things to yourself and yes sometimes it's best to but other times it just makes thing's easier to talk to someone, so the choice is your to make and to make on your own." Aura was worried about what she was going to hear and if it would bring up anything from her past for her to deal with. But she was older now and there for she should be able to deal with her own issues surely.

Aura didn't know what to do with her self there was no way if Mist was going to start talking she wanted to sit on the table so she got air to move her armchair closer to her. With out moving quickly as not to worry Mist she got into her chair and curled up with her head resting on the arm so she could still see Mist.

Mist shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it," he said quietly, looking down at the floor. If she'd thought he was going to talk about it, she was very wrong. Mist didn't want to talk about anything from his past. Not even the good stuff, which was few and far between.

After several moments of silence, he added, "You don't really want to hear about it, anyway." Why would she? Besides, he didn't want her pity.

Aura looked at Mist "Trust me Mist I know that's a really stupid thing to say trust me how could you trust me, but I honestly don't mind if you feel like you want to talk I may not have a sodding degree in listening to people like a therapist" Aura couldn't help saying the word therapist the way she did she didn't like them and she could never see the point all they do is sit and write stuff down.

Aura took a deep breath "But we are going to have to learn to live together, and I'am sure you will find me very annoying i still sing all the time" she said with a smile, in hope that it would help calm him more as he would remember at least one time he had crept up on her when she was on patrol she had been singing her heart out, and not really pay attention to what was going on around her, Aura couldn't help the smile at her thought's of the fight they had had afterwards.

Mist remembered catching Aura singing that time, but he didn't smile. Even if the fight that occurred afterward had been entertaining. Their fights always were, except for the one that claimed her lover's life. That one had been horrifying.

"I remember that about you," he said regarding her singing. "You have a nice voice." Aura didn't know it, but he'd hidden and listened to her sing for a while before making his move. He doubted he'd mind her singing now.

Aura smiled "Thanks, it's nice of you to say that." Aura knew she could sing it helped that she could manipulate air even air inside a body. Aura was still fighting with herself internally part of her wanted Mist to open up she thought it may just help him and maybe even help her to have a better understanding of what happened that night. A shiver run down her spin as she remembered part's of what happened over the years Aura had tried to block it out of her mind, she felt it was all her fault. It was only meant to be a fight between herself and Mist but then Aden had shown up and everything just went wrong.

Aura could feel the tears trying to break through so she put her head down, she needed to do something the anger was building up again but Mist was no way the man he once's was and she knew he was more scared of her then she was of him, that was why she hadn't gone for him she could see that his time in prison had been hard and she wanted to help get him even just a little bit closer to who he was.

Aura having managed to keep the tears at bay looked up "I reckon I should leave you to your thought's, but If you need anything to drink help yourself, and if you want to talk my room is the first door on the landing, I don't have the door closed I never have." Standing up she moved over to the sofa closer to Mist but not touching "It will get easier Mist" after that she headed for the stairs. Part of her wanted Mist to stop her from going up to bed but part of her wanted to run and hide.

"How do you know?" Mist asked from the couch as Aura retreated toward the stairs. "How do you know it'll get easier?" He had no hope in that regard. After what he'd been through, he doubted his life would ever be anything other than miserable. He didn't feel comfortable in his own skin. His nightmares were horrifying. He knew that if he screwed up even once on this parole, he'd be sent right back to prison for the rest of his life. For him, that would be like being thrown into Hell.

There was one thing Aura could do for him to make him feel a little bit better, at least. It would be a small comfort, but it would give him a little more security.

"If I break this parole," he began quietly, meeting Aura's gaze with obvious desperation in his eyes, "can you promise me you will kill me instead of sending me back to prison? Please?" He'd sooner die than go back there. He'd even kill himself if he had to.

Aura stopped with her foot on the first step when she heard Mist talk how do i know things will get better, just because I kinda got through my stuff doesn't mean Mist will, she thought to herself "I honestly cant give you a direct answer on that and I'am sure what you have been through is a lot more then me, but I do believe things can only get better once you have hit rock bottom."

Aura moved away from the stairs and was looking right into Mist eyes when he asked if she would kill him, she honestly had no idea what to say if she had to, then yes she would try but she wasn't going to help him kill himself, Aura really didn't want to go to prison and she knew he wouldn't put up no fight and that would be the only place for her to go. A shiver ran down her spin as she thought of what the people who she had put in prison would do to her if she ever ended up there and it truly wasn't a pleasant thought.

"Mist I cant answer that, and i would rather not find out what it is like in prison for myself. I know you don't want to live I can see it in your eyes but I wont stand by and help you die, I'am sorry but that's not me." Mist would know she was a fighter in every sense of the word she had fought her way to the top even as a woman in a place that was filled with testosterone.

Hearing Aura deny his request visibly crushed Mist, though he could understand why she'd made that choice. He understood it all too well, but it likely wouldn't be so bad for her. They kept women and men separated in prison. Aura had less to fear than Mist did.

"So you would rather send me back to that place?" he asked, his tone colder than it had been. "Knowing that I'd rather be dead?" He fell silent for a moment, then said, "I can't go back there, Aura. I can't. You don't understand how horrible that place is. You have no idea..."

He looked like he was on the verge of tears again, but he was fighting them back.

"No I don't want to see you go back in there even after what happened, I didn't agree with you going in to a normal prison in the first place." Aura said as she moved around the sofa and sat on the arm so she wasn't to close.

Aura remembered the day after they had caught Mist, she had been called in to a meeting to see what to do with him, she had been hurt the most by him but she didn't think it was right for anyone with powers to be put in a human prison, She had tried her best to get him moved out of there and to a solitary prison where he would be on his own with the blindfold still but somewhere he didn't have to have others around him. But the majority won as they normally do, That had been the start of the other Hero's not really talking to her any more they couldn't understand the fact that him being on his own would just leave him with his thought's and the fact that she also blamed herself for that night, Aura believed that if she could get him that it would take less off her own shoulders.

"Mist, talk to me please I maybe able to help, people always say a problem shared is a problem halved." Aura rolled her eyes at her own statement "Ok that's crap but it might help, who knows unless you try."

Mist hadn't been present when the heroes were deliberating with the lawyers and judge on where to send Mist. He hadn't known that Aura was against him being sent to a normal prison. It made him feel oddly grateful that she'd, at least, had some sense. No one else seemed to.

"How could anything help me?" he asked with no small amount of despair. "After what I've suffered, how could anything make a difference?" Except to make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.