The Trouble with Duty.

• Thread starter Eve lilith Angelson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura was looking at Mist she could see he really had no faith in anyway of making his life, It was as if the fight in him had been ripped out or even the Mist she had known had been taken and replaced with a shell of the person she had known.

With a sigh she put her head down, "I have no idea how or if anything will help Mist. But surely you don't want to be this person you are now, if you stay like this that means who ever has done what to you has won. I'am sure you don't really want to give them the satisfaction of ruining your whole life? I know for sure I wouldn't want them too win and I don't want them to win over you."

Aura was finding it hard to talk to him but she knew he needed it, It was taking every thing she had not to grab hold of him and shake him out of it or grab hold of him to hug him.

"They already won," Mist said quietly, looking down at the floor in defeat. "Believe me, they already won. And they know it."

He curled up on the couch again, looking utterly pathetic. Defeated. He looked defeated. That was probably the best word for it. Whoever had hurt him had clearly already won, just as Mist had said. They'd broken him. How, though, mercifully remained a mystery to Aura. Mist knew she'd pity him, and he didn't want that.

Aura moved and sat down on the sofa crossing her legs so she was looking straight at Mist, she couldn't believe what she was hearing she really wanted to slap just to get him to feel something, but knowing it would do more damage rather then good she just rolled her eyes at him.
"Oh come on Mist, don't give me that, you still have a life to live if you want to live it as you are doing then go for it but don't expect me to sit hear and watch you drown in self pity."

Aura's eye's had changed colour as was normal for her depending on her mood not many realized that her eyes changed no one really took the time to get to know her, her eye's had gone a storm cloud grey it was one of the only tell's that her anger was close to the surface what the hell is wrong with him at least he gets a chance at a life he took Aden's chance at one so he should at least live his or that would mean two have died. she thought looking at Mist. Aura really didn't need Mist death on her shoulders as well as everything else.

"At least if I do nothing," Mist said, "I will not be sent back to prison." He looked up at her, noticing the color change in her eyes but not commenting on it. "What would you do in my place? I doubt your actions would be any different than mine..."

He looked down and away from her again, fighting with himself on how much to tell her. As much as he wanted to keep it all a secret, part of him wanted Aura to have some understanding of what he was put through. Maybe then she'd see how appropriate his current behavior was.

Thinking of a way to speak volumes of what he'd been through without saying a single word, he took off his shirt. It was long-sleeved, like the ratty clothes he'd been given before had been, and as soon as the shirt was off Aura could see a small glimpse at what he'd suffered.

Aura had seen Mist shirtless a few occasions before prison. Sometimes clothes were collateral damage in fights, and he'd had some scars from his childhood that he'd never told her the stories behind. Well, he had quite a few more than he'd had before now, courtesy of prison. And some looked awful, particularly some cigarette burns on his chest and back. One burn looked quite recent, like it was given to him only a few days ago.

Aura watched as Mist took his top off, she had known he had scars she had seen them but the way his body looked now it looked as if someone had used his body to play naughts and crosses and she could clearly see the burns on him and one had been recent, Auras eyes where drawn to it "Why has no one cleaned that burn up?" Humans could be so cruel.

With out a word she had air bring her her first aid kit that she always had in the kitchen. Aura felt for Mist but it was not pity she felt guilty for what he had been through. Air returned with the first aid kit and Aura looked at Mist "It's up to you I can do this or if you want to clean it yourself you can?" Aura was sure he had more scars over the rest of his body maybe even worse then what she was seeing now.

Mist thought for a moment before giving a tiny shrug. "You can clean it," he said quietly. While he didn't want to be touched, his medical knowledge was severely lacking. His idea of treating a wound was putting a Band-Aid on it. Procedure for properly cleaning a wound was beyond him. He'd let Aura clean it, even though the thought made him uncomfortable. She might insist on seeing the rest of him, though. For all she knew, he might have more burns and the like that needed to be cleaned.

Aura didn't say anything she just nodded her head and opened the first aid kit she was use to dealing with a lot of injures on her self and she had helped Aden a few times but she was still nervous of doing this on some one else "This going to hurt" She had to tell him before she started it was only fair.

Air bought in a bowl of lukewarm water for her as she had asked with out asking and placed it on the table near to her she asked her element to stay near she had a feeling she would needed it. Aura moved closer and looked to see how bad it was she hadn't seen anything like it since her own and that was a few years ago the only real difference was she had treated her's right away but she still had the scars on her legs but they were now hidden as best as was possible anyways.

Getting a medical wipe from the first aid kit she placed it in the bowl "I'am going to have to clean this really well as it's not been looked after but first i will need to pop the blister on it as that shouldn't be that color but I will be as gentle as I can be" with out thought she picked up the small sterilized needle and before Mist could say anything she popped the blister, with that she picked up the wipe and squeezed it so the excesses water came off moving it over to his body she placed her free hand on his shoulder and began to wipe away the muck that had got it to it. Once she was happy she had cleaned it well she dried it with a new medical wipe. Aura didn't look up at Mist the whole time she done this she knew he would feel the slight shake in her hand on his shoulder but hoped he wouldn't say anything.

Aura got a tube of what looked like tooth paste out of the kit "This will sting now it's an open burn but it's the best stuff for burns that has ever been made." She said with her head down, taking of the top of the tube she squeezed a small amount of the white cream on her middle and forefinger, as her fingers went to his chest and moved in slow circles around and over the burn as gently as she could. Once she finished she removed her hand's from him. "I'am sorry but that will feel better in the morning." Aura knew she may never be able to help him with his internal scars but the ones on his body she could help with.

Even though the burn stung as Aura treated it, Mist gave absolutely no reaction to the pain. It didn't compare to the pain of sustaining the wound, so it didn't matter right now. One good thing about the horrors he'd suffered through in prison was his pain tolerance was very high now. He could retreat into his own head to block out the pain, and he did so as Aura tended to his burn now.

Once she was done, Mist quietly said, "Thank you." He appreciated her tended to his burn like that. Sure there was a medical ward at the prison, but that was just for serious injuries and illness. Mist had spent a fair bit of time there, but they didn't bother bringing him there for stuff like cigarette burns or shallow cuts.

Aura started to put things away but when Mist said thank you she looked up at him "No worry's I'am good with thing's like that." she said with a shy smile not wanting him to ask any questions.

Aura picked up the first aid kit to take it back into the kitchen "hmmm is there any other's you want me to take a look at to make sure there is no infection?" She didn't want to push him in to a corner he needed to open up to her in his own time. With her head down and while her fingers traced her tattoos on her upper thigh she said in a rather quite voice, "I really, am sorry for my part in everything you have gone through." it was the first time she had said sorry for what had happened that night to any one who could hear her any way, she had spent days and nights at Aden's grave saying sorry until she had no more air in her lungs, but to say it to Mist was a lot harder.

Mist gave Aura a look of surprise when she apologized to him. Her part in all of this? She hadn't done anything. She wasn't the one who had caught him. She hadn't put him behind bars, and she certainly hadn't been in the prison to torment him. If anything, she was almost a savior to him. Any hero could have ended up his parole supervisor, and Mist doubted that any of the others would be as kind to him as Aura was being. She was trying to help him, which no one had ever done before.

"You have nothing to apologize for," he told her with a small shake of his head.

Aura looked up and smiled "Don't I, It was my fault that Aden died he only came looking for me......" Aura couldn't continue with what she was going to say how could she tell Mist that she had sort him out to fight that night as the only times she felt anything was when she was with Aden or fighting him.

That night Aden had been busy with work as was normally the case he took his job more serious then any other Hero she had ever meet, she had been young and bored and looking for something to do, Knowing that Mist would be somewhere doing something she went out to look for him knowing Aden didn't approve of them fighting each other he had told her off many times for it Aura had always laughed and asked if he was jealous but he never answered her. Aura shock her head there was no way she was letting her mind go down that path not yet not ever if she could help it.

"Aden wasn't the only person I killed," Mist reminded her. "He may have been the only hero whose life I took, but there were others who died. I would have gotten the same sentence as I got even if I hadn't killed him, I'm sure. Like I said, you have nothing to apologize for." He didn't blame Aura for any of this. There were others who were more deserving of his ire than her.

He was trying to decide if he should let her treat some of his other injuries. Those were hidden by his pants, which he didn't want to take off.

Aura looked at Mist and smiled "Maybe so but if it hadn't of been for Aden's death you wouldn't of got as bad a sentence as you did trust me I was stuck in the room listening to them all shouting about what to do with you" Aura shock visibly as she recounted what had happened, "They hadn't listened to me, i knew sending you there was a stupid mistake but at that time they still looked at me as a girl who was just oh so cute when she was angry" Aura rolled her eyes knowing full well what the male Hero's thought of her and shuddered at some long lost thought that entered her mind.

Aura wanted to get off the subject it was to close to the mark for her liking and she wasn't ready just as Mist wasn't ready to tell all. With another shake of her head to clear her mind she took a deep breath "So is there any other cuts or burns i should check out before i put this away?2

Considering how uncomfortable Mist already felt, he didn't want to add to it by taking off his pants. Even if there might be injuries there that could use some attention. Mist just couldn't bear the thought of showing anyone more of his skin. It made him start to feel ill again.

"So they decided to send a blindfolded fourteen-year-old to prison," he stated flatly. Those bastards had to have known what would happen to him in there. They had to have anticipated it. But he was a villain, and so they hadn't cared. How had they seen him? How did they see him now? Was he less than a person to them?

Aura felt ill right to the bottom of her stomach when he said what he did I knew i should of done more, as much as Aden was my world I knew what the other's done to Mist would not of been what he would of wanted he was a good guy he always believed the best of everyone. She thought as she moved away from Mist slightly she felt guilt over what had happened she her self had only been 17 when every thing had happened.

"Mist I wont stick up for what they decided to do to you, I never and still don't understand why. I know they wanted to hurt you yes but...." Aura couldn't continue she was getting to ahead of herself she needed to breath she needed space, she had lived for so long on her own that it was difficult having someone around her for this long let alone it being Mist she was still with in two minds of him and that didn't help if she could just hate him it would make her life easy but she couldn't not seeing what the other so called Hero's had let him go through. "I have to put this in the kitchen and i could really do with a drink do you want one?" she said as she stood up to go in to the kitchen.

"I could use a drink," Mist replied with a small nod. Honestly, he could use much more than a drink. He'd been introduced to some less-than-safe things while in prison, and it hadn't been by his own choice. But right now, what Mist really wanted was just to get high. That would give him a bit of peace of mind, if only until the high went away. Unfortunately, he highly doubted Aura was into that sort of thing. He'd be shocked if she had anything illegal in here.

He looked down at himself while Aura was out of the room, taking in the sight of his chest. The new scars and burn marks saddened him greatly, and he slowly pulled the shirt back on to hide them away. He could remember how he got most of them, and just looking at him was making him think about the pain he'd endured.

Aura walked in to the kitchen and as soon as she got in there she leaned against the wall and sank to the floor breathing heavily trying to stop all the emotions and memories that were crowding her body. She already had air around her but it wasn't helping as it normally did but then again she wasn't use to having to deal with so much in such a small amount of time.

Siting on the cold tiled floor of the kitchen she remembered getting high in one of her foster homes to block out the abuse she had to live through, I really wish i had some of that now it maybe just what the both of us need something to help forget and make us feel better even if I would giggle like a school girl she thought and couldn't stop herself from laughing out loud at the thought. But the laugh had helped her to think of something else long enough for her to get off the floor and grab a bottle of vodka and tequila off the side and two glasses she even grabbed the salt and cut up a lemon before she went back in to the front room with them all on a tray.

"Here you go what do you want?" she asked as she placed the tray on the table and sat down on the sofa with Mist.

Mist was a little surprised when he was presented with something stronger than wine. He immediately went for the tequila, looking to get himself drunk very quickly. It wouldn't take much of that stuff and he'd be hammered. That was exactly what he needed right now, so long as he didn't start casting illusions. That could lead to some very horrible outcomes.

He poured himself a generous portion of the tequila before lifting the glass in a silent toast and downing it in seconds. The liquid burned at his tongue and throat, but he ignored it. If anything, it actually felt a bit good. And if Aura hadn't already known he was looking to get trashed right now, how quickly he drank down that tequila would probably cue her into that.

"Well I see I'am not the only one who want's to get steaming drunk then" she said with a smile "But you are doing it all wrong, your meant to lick the salt then down the drink and then bite the lemon, trust me it helps to get the tequila to your blood system quicker." With that she showed him what to do by licking her hand and pouring salt on it taking the glass and pouring the drink out and grabbing a lemon, "Cheers" then the drink was gone feeling the burn down the inside of her all the way to her chest "That's better a few more of them and a couple of the vodkas and I will be fine"

With that she poured a few shots out for them both of both the vodka and the tequila. Moving her hand out to take in the glasses she said "Enjoy, this could be a good thing or a very bad thing but right now I don't care." she felt more herself and was a lot more relaxed then she had been for the last three days.

Mist tried the salt and lemon along with the tequila as Aura had demonstrated, and after a few more drinks Mist was already feeling the alcohol in his system. His head felt nicely clouded, and his body felt warm and relaxed. That was a good feeling. He couldn't even feel the pain of that burn anymore.

Despite already feeling drunk, he helped himself to a few more drinks. Just for good measure. He cut himself off after that--going to the hospital for alcohol poisoning would not be a good thing for him--but he was already very drunk by that point.

"So what have you done with yourself these past six years?" he asked casually, leaning to the side in relaxation as he gazed over at Aura. "Still doing that whole hero thing?" Stupid question. Of course she was still a hero. But he felt like asking it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.