The Trouble with Duty.

• Thread starter Eve lilith Angelson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura sighed "Fine we will talk later" she thought and stood up, picking up a throw she had on the back of her armchair she walked quietly up to Mist and draped it over his body.

With one last look at him she walked in to the kitchen "Well i may as well get something cooked so it's ready for later, if and when he wakes up." Just as she was getting everything ready the phone rung, Shit i better get that before Mist wakes up she thought as she ran across the room to where the phone was.

"What, sorry Aura speaking how can I help you?" she said into the phone, "Hello Aura, just thought i would ring up to see how things are going?" with a slight roll of her eyes she spoke "It's fine and no I haven't taken my revenge on him, I promised I would try my best and my best is what i'am trying, Chief. If you must know at this moment in time he is asleep on my sofa, I don't need you ring ever day to make sure we are both alive. So if you don't mind I have thing's I need to be doing." With that Aura put the phone back in it's cradle a little hard then was needed.

Why cant people just let me get on with this I may be female but for God's sake I'am no idiot she thought to herself as she went back to looking in her fridge.

Mist slept for nearly an hour, too exhausted to even wake up when the phone rang. The smell of food was what did the trick, making him stir slightly as he started to wake up. His stomach was responsible for that. He hadn't had a decent meal in six years. Prison food really didn't count as food at all, in his opinion. That, and he'd gotten far too little of it.

He slowly opened his eyes behind the blindfold, coming back to consciousness. The food smelled even better when he was fully awake, but he didn't ask about it. For all he knew, Aura had just made food for herself. He didn't want to get his hopes up.

Aura was singing happily to herself and dancing around the kitchen as she finished making dinner, having made her favorite dish of spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread freshly made and a tiramisu for afterwards. Smiling to herself as she got the plates and cutlery out she walked in to the front room to see if Mist was awake.

Not wanting to get to close to Mist Aura stayed rather close to the kitchen, but from where she was she could see the sofa and it looked like he hadn't moved since she left him about an hour ago.
"Ammm Mist are you awake yet?" she asked not to loud just in case he wasn't awake, but loud enough so if he was awake he would hear her. Aura had no idea on what mist ate but she just hopped what she cooked was ok as she wasn't the worlds best cook, but living on here own for so long she had had to learn even if it was only a hand full of dishes she was any good at.

"Yes," Mist replied quietly. He'd never been quite so soft-spoken before prison. In fact, Aura probably remembered him as a chatty, confident villain who always made his opinion of something known. Prison had really changed him. That air of confidence was completely gone.

He stirred on the couch, rolling onto his side before shifting to a sitting position. Not that he actually expected Aura to give him any food, though. He was just making it perfectly clear that he was indeed awake.

Aura was having very mixed feeling's about Mist part of her wanted to kick his head in because of what he had done all them year's ago but the other part of her felt sorry to see him like this, yes he had been a villain before but he had a rather good sense of humor and they had had a laugh the few times they had battled (even if he had kicked her ass more often then not) Even when he was giving his opinion on everything. So to see him like this was almost heart breaking well if she had one anymore that is.

Watching him sit up "Well i'am not sure what you eat but I have.... ammm I have made spaghetti bolognese if you would like some." Aura had no idea why she was finding it hard to talk to him maybe it was because of what he had done or maybe it was due to the fact he wasn't himself any more. Aura could still feel the key for his blindfold against her chest Not yet it would help but he may just use that to his advantage and yeah you have had a lot more training with your own powers over the years but there is no reason to think he wont do the same to you like he did to.... Aura got a lump in her throat at her own thought's and forgot all about the key.

Once she cleared her throat and found her voice "Would you like to eat in here or in the kitchen, that is if you want to eat?" Aura was finding it hard not to just run back to the kitchen and bring his food to him so they could eat in separate rooms of the house.

If Mist had been a dog, his ears would have perked at the mention of food. So Aura did intend to feed him tonight? That was unexpected, but appreciated. He doubted she'd do something like try to poison him. If she killed him, ex-villain though he was, she'd end up going to prison herself.

"Anywhere," he answered, not caring where he ate. He just needed to eat. The food smelled even more wonderful now that he knew some of it was for him, though the fact that it was spaghetti gave him pause. He was going to make a huge mess, more than likely, if he tried eating that while blindfolded. Unless Aura intended to feed him herself.

Aura smiled "Great i think we will eat in here" turning on her heel she walked off to the kitchen, once there she dished up two plates and placed the garlic bread on a separate plate, with the help of air she bought all of the plates in at once.

As Aura walked back into the front room she looked at Mist's face and then to her cream sofa and back to his face oh damn it the blindfold he wont be able to eat this with out making my sofa look like there had been a blood bath in here, damn it, she thought to herself. Knowing what she was going to have to do she really hadn't wanted to do this yet, looking at him when he couldn't see her was one thing but to look in to the eyes of this man whom she didn't trust and really didn't want in her life was a whole new problem.

Taking a deep breath she squared her shoulders and walked closer to Mist "Right, I honestly cant believe I'am about to do this, but I really don't want food all over my house and I' am not your mother so I wont feed you," A few seconds past before she pulled the chain from around her neck "I'am going to take the blindfold off but I swear you give me any reason to think your going to run or kill me I swear you wont get off the sofa I will kill you where you sit, I hope you understand that."

With out another word or giving herself the chance to bottle out off it she walked up behind him and with a shake to her hands she undone his blindfold and moved it away from his face. Aura moved taking the blindfold with her, she moved so he would see her but she wasn't to close knowing it would be hard on his eyes for some time. Trying to be brave she commanded air to place the food on the coffee table and to get her a bottle of red wine and two glasses, she really needed a drink to calm her nervous.

When Aura told him she was going to take off his blindfold, Mist couldn't believe it. After six years, that damn thing was finally going to be taken off. He'd be allowed to see again. But...what if he couldn't? What if the past six years of not being able to use his vision, he'd lost the ability to see forever? That thought filled Mist with despair, and he squeezed his eyes shut as Aura took the blindfold off. Even when he no longer felt its weight, he kept his eyes closed tightly. He was scared to open them, not knowing what he'd see. Or not see.

Aura noticed that Mist kept his eyes tightly shut, walking closer she sat on the edge of the table "Mist listen to my voice and just my voice" Aura knew she would have to help him but she didn't want to scare him. "Mist listen, I know it has been along time since you have seen anything, and I'am sure your sight will be fuzzy for a little while, but I have known you a long time you can do this Mist I know you can"

Aura wanted to touch his hand so he knew he wasn't on his own but she had a feeling that would just make thing's worse for both of them. Sitting this close to Mist was making her own heartbeat faster and her pulse quicken she really had no idea what to expect from him and if she was honest she as scared of him to a degree. Aura called her element to her and asked it help calm Mist, she hoped it worked and she felt air moving slowly to him and trying to help him as she had so asked it to do.

With that bit of encouragement from an unlikely source, Mist slowly opened his eyes. The first thing he noticed was that he wasn't completely blind, but the light in the room was painful. He shut his eyes again quickly from the pain, taking in a quick hiss of breath. Then he slowly started to open them again, giving ample time for adjustment to the light.

His vision was more blurred than he remembered it being, but he could see. His worst fear hadn't come true. He wasn't blind. His vision wasn't as good as it had been, but perhaps it would recover in time. If the blindfold stayed off him.

Mist's eyes were strange, as Aura would undoubtedly remember. One of them--his left eye--was a rather pretty shade of blue-gray that sometimes looked either more blue or more gray depending on the light. His right eye, however, was red. Incidentally, his right eye also wasn't real. It was a glass eye, but like his real name, he'd kept his half-blindness a secret.

He focused his gaze on Aura, giving his vision a moment to clear itself as best it could. She was sitting a little too close to him for comfort, and he shifted back from her slightly out of reflex.

Aura was watching as Mist started to open his eyes but when he closed them again she realized she should of closed the curtains to stop the light from coming in "Sorry about the light I really didn't think about that" She said and bit her bottom lip why didn't i think of that for god sake Aura pull yourself together, she thought as he tried to once again open his eyes.

Aura noticed that his eyes had not changed in all the years His left eye was rather blue in the light they where in now and his red right eye was as it had always been. Taking in a quick breath she had to stop herself from moving away from him, but as she stopped herself he moved back away from her.

Aura felt hurt but wouldn't let it show it's not like you want him to be your friend Aura's her mind scolded her, But Aura stood up and went to sit in the chair just off to his right.

As she sat down all she could think of was his eyes those eyes had haunted her dreams at night over the year, when she had set her dark chocolate brown eyes on Mist she thought his eyes were amazing and so different, and now she just didn't know what to think.

Mist was relieved when Aura moved away from him to sit on a chair rather than the couch. He felt he could breathe a little more easily with that increased separation. He'd never really been much of a fan of physical nearness, Aura would likely recall. He didn't shy away from it, but he'd never sought it out. He'd let his illusions handle the physical interactions. Now, though, it was clear that physical contact bothered him greatly. Just having someone near him put him on-edge, like he expected to be hurt.

He looked down at the plates of food, and his stomach audibly growled with hunger. A small blush rose in his pale cheeks at the sound, embarrassed. He gave a cautious glance in Aura's direction before asking softly, "Can I eat?"

Aura found herself laughing "I'am sorry I didn't mean to laugh, I'am sure your time away was very different from most's but please don't feel like you have to ask my permission to eat, I hope you enjoy it." Air came back to her with a bottle of red wine and two glasses taking one out of the air and grabbing the bottle she looked over to Mist "Would you like a drink? or would you prefer water or something hot?"

Aura hadn't looked at him the whole time she spoke to him her head was still in two mind's on how to treat him she could see he wasn't himself, but she also knew he wouldn't trust her anytime soon, due to what had happened he was more then likely thinking she would turn on him in a heartbeat and Aura had know idea if she would if he said the wrong thing but she would try and make this work. She hopped at least that she could be grown up about everything.

Holding the bottle she filled her glass half way to the top and nearly drank it down in one go, Putting her glass down she picked up her plate and started to eat wow i really can cook she thought to herself.

Mist didn't even crack a smile when Aura laughed. If anything, he frowned slightly. She was laughing at his expense, after all. And he'd come to hate the sound of laughter these past six years. It never meant anything good. Mist didn't think he could even laugh anymore, or even smile. He'd definitely changed.

He looked down at the bottle of wine, thinking for a few moments before giving a small nod of acceptance. Technically speaking, he wasn't allowed to drink. He wasn't yet old enough to do so legally, but he really didn't care about that right now. Something to calm his nerves would be highly appreciated.

Without another glance at Aura, Mist started to eat his spaghetti. It tasted even better than it smelled, and Mist quickly went from trying to be at least somewhat polite in his pace of eating to acting like someone who was quite literally starving. Considering how skinny he was, it likely wouldn't surprise Aura that Mist was this hungry.

Aura noticed the nod for a drink from the corner of her eye, she knew he wasn't old enough but it really didn't matter they where in her home, with out Aura saying anything, air poured a small glass of wine for Mist and took it to him without getting to close and placed it on the table. With another sneaky look to her new house guest she saw him almost shoveling the food into his mouth, knowing that there was still a load in the kitchen she stood up and went to bring it in for him.

"I thought you looked a lot skinnier now then before, here enjoy as much as you like, I always make way to much." with that said she sat back down and finished her food. Aura really wanted to talk to him but she didn't know how to start so she done what she normally done she just dived in head first and hopped he would remember how she use to be as time had not changed her apart from not letting anyone close and being rather cold towards most people even the people she was really good friends with.

"Right, I know this is more then likely the worst way I could do this but hey it's me and I don't see why I should try and be someone I'am not, this is my home but I want you to feel like a guest, not a prisoner even if you cant leave here without me I want you to feel free to walk around the house. Also I have heard horror stories of prison and what it can do to normal people and we both know your not normal, and nor am I. I'am sure I'am the last person you want to talk to but until we can find you someone professional who you feel comfortable talking to you can talk to me." Taking a sip of her wine she turned around she knew it was a lot of information to take in in such a small amount of time but she needed to get things off her chest. "Well i think that will do for today, I wont dis-respect your intelligence by telling you all the rules I'am sure you have already been told them by whom ever you spoke to inside."

Mist tensed up, stopping eating as soon as Aura mentioned finding a professional for Mist to talk to. Therapy. She was talking about therapy for Mist. This couldn't have been Aura's own idea. Considering how awkward this situation already was for the pair of them, Aura likely wouldn't have had the inclination nor the foresight to think of getting him a psychiatrist to talk to. Someone had to have told her something, and Mist fixed an intense, searching look on Aura.

"What did they tell you?" he asked, his tone cold despite the continued low volume of his voice. He seemed to have tensed up even more, if that was even possible. If Aura hadn't already known that there was something he was hiding, she certainly would know now. Mist was being very defensive, and whatever it was he was being defensive about had caused him to lose his appetite.

Aura looked at Mist and raised her right eyebrow at him "No one's told me anything, all i get told three days ago is that they have decided in there infinite wisdom that you are ready to be let out and I'am the one who's got to make sure your move into society is as smooth as possible, so no I have not been told anything and to be totally honest with you that is one of the thing's that annoys me the most." Taking a deep breath Aura put her head down. Upon calling her element to her she started to came down she hadn't meant to go off on one at Mist she was really trying her best to be as kind as she could possible be.

"For god's sake I'am just gonna give up, I'll be in my room if you so feel like talking to me, I know this is hard for you but just remember this is not exactly my idea of fun too."

With that Aura floated up to her room as she was shaking all over and didn't quite trust her legs to carry her she normally only shock like this when she was angry or upset and right now she didn't know if she wanted to hit something or just curl up on her bed and cry herself to sleep. Once up in her room she went for a shower to see if that would calm her nervous.

It was very likely to be a cold shower, considering how long of a shower Mist had taken earlier. Hopefully Aura's nerves wouldn't be in even worse of a state after the shower than they had been before it.

After Aura had floated upstairs, Mist just looked down at his untouched glass of wine. The bottle was still there, and after drinking down his glass, he refilled it and sipped at it. He didn't really like the taste of wine, but he wanted the alcohol to take the edge off his own frazzled nerves. It hadn't been his intention to make Aura unload on him like that. He'd been more concerned about her having been told things than her being in the dark. He was actually relieved that they hadn't told her anything of what had happened to him while he was in that horrible place.

He set down his glass after draining the rest of its contents. His alcohol tolerance was extremely low, and he could already feel some warmth creeping into his limps from the wine. It felt nice, so he certainly wasn't going to complain. He just moved to lay down on the couch again, looking up at the ceiling. An idea struck him, and he started to absentmindedly weave an illusion onto the ceiling. It was a starry sky that he was creating from his mind, complete with some of the common constellations. If Aura came downstairs, she'd probably think Mist had somehow opened up the ceiling of the first floor to a beautiful night sky.

It felt amazing to be crafting an illusion again. Part of him had felt like it died when he'd been forced to wear that blindfold. His illusions had been beyond his reach then, and it was like he'd been torn away from the arms of his closest friends. Now, though, he felt as though he'd been reunited with those friends. It was almost a happy feeling for him.

Aura came floating down the stairs as quite as possible in her towel to see if she could sort out the hot water she was sure that if she hit the thermostat it would do something even if it only made her feel better and she would need to get a plumber out to fix it.

As Aura got to the lower ground she saw Mist looking at the ceiling looking up to see what he was looking at she saw the most beautiful night sky ever, Aura was completely taken aback she knew she should of been worried as he was using his illusions again but the sight she saw was so amazing she just wanted to lay underneath and watch the stars "Wow that's amazing" she said in total awe.

When she spoke she realized she was standing there in her towel and blushed biting her bottom lips "Ammm I'am sorry I honestly didn't think...... I just forgot you used all the hot water so i was coming down to hit the thermostat" as she spoke she blushed even harder she hadn't meant to speak out loud and she really didn't know what to do now, Not being one to be shy she had always been very forward in everything.

Mist spared Aura a glance when she came downstairs in nothing but a towel, but he didn't pay her any special attention even in her state of undress. Of course he was very aware of the fact that he was naked under that towel, but that didn't mean he needed to stare at her or anything. He wasn't going to try to get a peek at her or anything of the sort. That hadn't been an interest of his even before prison, and it certainly wasn't one now. Just the thought of such intimacies made him feel ill.

He'd felt an odd bit of satisfaction at her compliment, having received precious few of those in his life. That encouraged him to make a shooting star cross the false sky he'd made, testing just how realistic he could make this illusion.

"You don't need to explain anything to me," he said to Aura offhandedly, returning his gaze to the illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.